The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

THE ATTACHMENT

Chapter 15

by Abacab

Jim was so fucking tired.

...And it didn’t matter.

He had been a machine today, a model employee, knocking back task after task after completed task. He’d surely finished enough work today to make up for his first three useless days of the work week and then some.

Granted, Jim was so tired he couldn’t be sure it was all being done right. All day long, he had been fighting through a trippy, sleepy edge on everything... a constant, tender, dreamlike aura around the world that continually threatened to turn into an actual dream at any moment. But somehow, it still felt OK. Everything felt OK. Everything, actually, felt way more than OK.

Jim now sat in his cubicle, staring at a soon-to-be-outgoing email, running a third check for the typos he was absolutely sure he’d made in his deeply-sleep-deprived state. He could still find none.

So: Send. Another important task out of the way... well, important to someone, anyway.

He wondered how much he could get done today before he finally crashed altogether. As he marveled again at his newfound productivity, he continued staring into his computer’s screen, not immediately noticing that nothing of immediate use was currently displayed upon it.

A tap on his shoulder. “Well, a fine Thursday afternoon to you, fellow jazz fan.”

He wheeled around. Jim was overjoyed at the unexpected sight of workday Elizabeth; she was, in fact, much more beautiful as workday Elizabeth than he’d ever previously noticed. In his head, Jim swore he actually heard a harp arpeggio sweetly accompanying her arrival. He chuckled under his breath. Everything in his head was really pretty funny today.

“Heyyyyy, you. Surprised you knew where to find me.”

“Of course I knew where you were, Jim. I walk through here a lot more than you probably realize. You’re usually just lost in your screen whenever I walk past you.“

“Yeah, that’s... not surprising. But I’m sure happy to see you now.”

“Well, likewise. I, um... I guess I just came by because I...” Elizabeth sat on the edge of his desk, leaning in closer, speaking softly. “...well, I’ve been really missing you today. I hope it’s OK for me to say that.”

“Oh, c’mon, don’t be ridiculous. I’ve been missing you too, all day long. Just been plugging away like mad, trying to keep my mind off how much I’m missing you... so the end of the day gets here faster, so I can maybe just see you again.”

Elizabeth smiled, visibly melting. “Awww, Jim.”

“Yeah, y’know, we’re gonna get completely sickening real quick, aren’t we?”

“Oh, I’m sure we probably already are. I couldn’t tell you for sure, though. I’m so freakin’ tired that I no longer trust my own perceptions of anything.”

“You and me both. I feel like I might just pass out any second.”

“Yeah, Jim, I’ve gotta get to sleep early tonight. There’s just no way I can get through tomorrow like this, even if tomorrow is a Friday.“

“OK, well, do you... did you maybe want to sleep alone tonight, then?”

“Oh, no, no... no, I didn’t mean that. I mean... not unless you want to get some sleep alone.“

“No, not really, no. I’d really kinda hoped you’d let me stay the night again tonight.”

“C’mon yourself, Jim... of course you can stay the night with me. Just assume that’s a standing invitation from here on.”

“OK, awesome. Because I... I really loved sleeping next to you last night. What little sleep we actually got, anyway.”

“I loved it too. I honestly can’t wait to sleep next to you for, like, 10 hours or something tonight. It’s kind of all I’ve been able to think about... that, and just seeing you.”

“Yeah, there’s no question, Elizabeth. We’re definitely already sickening.”

They both smiled dreamily, looking at the floor.

“Um... so what else is new, Jim? I... I don’t suppose you’ve heard from Julia?

“No texts or calls from her today. I guess she got the hint.”

“Knowing her, I wouldn’t be too sure about that. Just... watch your back, and please keep me in the loop.”

“Yeah, I am, I will. But I’m honestly not worried now. You... you know, what you did last night, with the... with the key and all, it... well, I feel a bit crazy for admitting it, but I think you really helped somehow. I think it’s all going to be alright now. I really do.“

Jim’s grateful eyes met Elizabeth’s. She smiled at him again, her smile bearing a slight edge of sadness this time.

“I just... I just hope you’re right. I guess I’d better get back to ‘work’ for the rest of the afternoon,” she said, making air quotes. “But... y’know, now that I’m thinking about it... we’ll both probably need to eat dinner before we finally crash, right?”

“Yeah, probably. What are you thinking?”

“Come over to my place around 6:30. I’ll make us dinner.”

“That sounds... great. Or,” he said, leaning in more closely still, “I could just follow you home right after work, and we can, like, cook together.”

“You have me body and soul already, somehow, Jim,” she cooed quietly. “But it’s only been a couple of days. So, I’m sorry to say, it’ll be a while longer before I trust you in my kitchen.”

“I wasn’t talking about cooking food.”

“Jim... that joke was freakin’ terrible.” Elizabeth punched his shoulder; Jim chuckled again.

“Sorry. I know. But, yeah, I can’t stop thinking about that either.“

“And, again, likewise, but it’s obvious that we’ll just pass out if we, uh, do that right after work. Dinner first, 6:30, no sooner. After that, we can do, y’know, whatever else you want. And from there, I’m guessing we’ll probably end up involuntarily losing consciousness in each others’ arms around 8, 8:30 or so. Does that sound like an acceptable counterproposal?”

“I suppose,” he laughed. “I guess I should probably stop and, y’know, get some clothes from home anyway if I’m staying the night again. If I wear the same thing three days in a row, I’m guessing someone will finally notice.”

Elizabeth snuck in a quick, illicit workplace kiss on Jim’s cheek. “So 6:30 it is. Are you OK with... oh, I don’t know, how about good ol’ spaghetti and meatballs?”

“Maybe a bit basic,” Jim laughed, “but I won’t say no.”

* * *

Jim turned up on Elizabeth’s doorstep, 6:22pm, with bells on... groggy bells, but bells nonetheless.

He rang the doorbell.

Julia answered the door.

“Why, hello, Jim. Funny seeing you here.”

Jim was a bit confused.

“Well, come on in already. I’m not gonna bite.”

“Julia, did you... did you let yourself in? Is Elizabeth here?”

“Yeah, she’s here. We were just talking. Best friends do that sometimes, you know. Come in.”

“I am... um, I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to be here. I’m pretty sure Elizabeth wouldn’t have agreed to that.”

“Well, she invited me over. Seriously, she’s just inside, sitting on the couch with me. Come on, Jim. You’re going to catch cold if you stay out there.”

Jim came inside.

The first thing he noticed as he entered the living room was the TV, to which Julia had connected her little computer from his weekend training.

Playing on the screen: an equally familiar sight by now, if one he somehow hadn’t seen since the Sunday morning prior. The first thing he recognized on screen, oddly enough, was Elizabeth’s hand, with her immaculately painted fingernails.

He instinctively and immediately turned his head away from the television. As he forced himself to look hard in the opposite direction, he suddenly saw Elizabeth on the couch, just as Julia had promised.

Elizabeth was completely naked, wearing headphones, eyes half open, completely rapt with her own video, touching herself slowly... a real-life mirror image of the now-familiar footage playing in front of her.

“Fuck... fuck, what is this shit, Julia? What have you done to her... how... how did you do it?“

“Now, Jim, why would you ever think that I couldn’t hypnotize Elizabeth?“

“We... well, I...“

“Oh, that’s right, how could I forget? I can’t hypnotize Elizabeth now because you, with all your wisdom and your years of experience in the ways of hypnosis... you took her under exactly once and... oh, this is so fucking great...” Julia laughed heartily. “...you ‘took away’ my ‘key’ to her subconscious.”

Jim walked over to Elizabeth. “Elizabeth, wake up. It’s me. It’s Jim. Julia has hypnotized you. You need to wake up now.”

Elizabeth looked at him slowly, smiled. “Hi, Jim,” she said dreamily, a note of sleepy lust creeping into her voice. “It’s... OK. Come watch... come watch with me. So tired... so hot... I just want... to dream with you.“

“No, Elizabeth... not now, wake up. You need to wake up. Count with me from 5 to 1...”

“C’mon, Jim,” Julia said, “I surely don’t need to remind you that I’ve had Elizabeth under my spell for years. There is no way you’re going to stop me from doing it ever again... not with one night’s worth of pathetic amateur-hour improvisation.”

“Elizabeth. Do you hear me? Wake up. Please. Julia can’t hypnotize you, she doesn’t have your key, remember? We took away her key to your subconscious...”

“She doesn’t... need it. She got in... the back door... unlocked.”

“There’s a... Elizabeth, what? There’s a back door to your subconscious?“

“Yes, there is a back door, Jim,” Julia clarified, “or at least there’s a back door now, because I made one. I made that backdoor instantly this morning when I talked to her on the phone and found out you’d ‘locked me out.’ ‘Oh, but Elizabeth, look... you left the back door unlocked, and here I am!’...“

“Elizabeth! Please listen to me, please listen to Jim. I’m still in your subconscious... I’m pushing Julia out the back door...”

“...Not that it really fucking matters, of course, whether I am actually ‘in’ her subconscious or not...”

Elizabeth, oblivious to Julia’s ongoing explanation, interjected sleepily. “Julia... Julia is too strong. She has... the key again... won’t leave, she...”

“Elizabeth, how did Julia get the key? Jim had the key. Jim was keeping it safe from Julia.”

“...Julia... put Jim under too.”

“She did what, Elizabeth?“

“In... in my subconscious... you are asleep there. You... are... still there, but... now you are... sleeping for Julia.”

Jim felt the beginnings of trance suddenly hit him, a breeze, a little wave crashing over his body and mind. He quickly shook himself off.

“You know, Jim,” Julia said in his ear, “I could just snap my fingers and finish the job that Elizabeth just started for me. But that wouldn’t be nearly as much fun as what I have in mind. ”

“So you called her,” Jim turned viciously, interrupted Julia through gritted teeth. “You called her at work. You put her under. You made this ‘back door’ into her...”

“And getting myself back into that image—the representative image of that little room that you created for Elizabeth in your sad ineptitude, by the way, so you have my thanks for making that so very fucking easy for me—getting myself into her subconscious through the ‘back door’ was just another great way to deepen her trance even further, over the phone, in like two minutes. Annnnd... game over.“

“Fuck.... fuck, and then you probably programmed her to invite me over for dinner...“

“Yep. And, no, before you ask... no, she truly didn’t have a clue what she was doing or who she was working for when she did that, so don’t blame her. But, yes, it’s a trap, Jim. It’s all been, like, so a trap.“

Jim looked over at Elizabeth, blissfully, mindlessly circling herself with her fingers, lost in the video.

“Just look at her now, Jim. My dearest Lizzie, my little Lizzie Jantzen,” Julia said, running her fingers through entranced Elizabeth’s hair, “helplessly caught in the beautiful video of her very own pussy. She’s getting caught in it again and again, deeper and deeper, caught in that video just like another guy I know.... so helplessly caught under my spell... like a good girl, right, Lizzie?”

Elizabeth moaned and shuddered. “Thank... you.” She went back to watching intently, to slowly circling, matching her own onscreen pace.

“Julia, this... this is so incredibly fucked up, even for you. You made her watch the video? You make it trigger her trance too? Doesn’t that seem kinda...“

“Look, why wouldn’t I use it on her, Jim? Of course I’ve been using it on her, just like I used it on you... I’ve been using it on her for much longer, actually. Who fucking cares if it’s her own pussy? It’s a beautiful video, you of all people can see that... so beautifully, intrinsically hypnotic. Combine it with my technique, and nobody could possibly resist it for long... not you, certainly not her.

“...And now, sitting here seeing it for yourself in person, you surely have to admit there’s something incredibly sexy about watching Elizabeth get off by... well, watching herself get off.”

Jim looked away from the beautiful Elizabeth, so completely lost in her own beautiful video, just as he had been repeatedly lost in the same not so long ago. He didn’t want Julia to have the satisfaction of knowing she was right. Seeing Elizabeth in this predicament was awful... beyond awful, literally outrageous, completely wrong, wrong, wrong... somehow, so fucking hot.

“Look... what do you fucking want, Julia? Why are you doing this?”

“Because you don’t get to do this, Jim. You don’t get to take away my best friend... my best friend, the one that I allowed you to fuck, just because you seem to have enjoyed yourself so much while fucking her—which was my idea, executed directly under my control, I should remind you—for one goddamn night.

“And you don’t get to waste all of my hard work on you either. I’ve invested far too much time and energy in making you all mine, making you the sort of guy who instantly goes from not wanting to fuck my best friend at all to constantly wanting to fuck my best friend, all with just a few words from me whispered in his ear.

“I’m not going to just shrug my shoulders and walk away from a man like you... a man I can control that deeply, that easily, for whatever ends I desire. Someone like you, someone who is really and truly under my spell to that extent... that’s unusual even for me to pull off. That’s just way too hot for me to easily let go. I could have so much fun with you at this point, and that was the whole fucking idea from the get-go. I think we both know I earned that fun.

“So, in summary, you just don’t get to do any of that, Jim. You don’t get to do that... not unless you can convince me, somehow, that you’ve really, really earned it. Not unless you can convince me that, somehow, you’ve earned her, just like I’ve earned you.“

* * *

Jim hesitated, dreading the response to his forthcoming question, knowing he had to ask regardless. “And what, exactly, would that proof entail?”

“I think I’d be sufficiently convinced and impressed,” Julia said, looking at her own fingernails, “if, unlike Lizzie here, you can actually withstand my assault on your mind for at least half an hour.”

“Oh, for fucksake, c’mon, Julia, no, I’m not...”

“No, tell you what, Jim, let’s make it even easier on you. Twenty minutes, that’s all. Twenty minutes of just listening to me, of inevitably going under and staying under for me. I’m thinking that gives me up to five minutes to induce you, although I know damn well that I won’t need five minutes... and then, at least fifteen more minutes to set you straight on some things while you’re under.

“In fifteen minutes, just fifteen minutes with you finally being in the right frame of mind, I know I can completely change your mind about what you currently think you want. I mean, we both remember that I’ve actually done the same to you with less time than that... but I digress.

“So, if you want to convince me you’ve really earned Lizzie and your pointless free will, you’ll give me those twenty minutes. Twenty minutes in which you will want to cum for me constantly. Twenty minutes in which you’ll need to fight with everything in your system to not cum... in which you’ll fight, almost certainly, to no avail. Twenty minutes in which, if you do cum—or, again, should I just say when you cum—you will instantly re-surrender to me, and will return to simply being mine. And you’ll return to me freely and happily, I might add... because that’s exactly the way this shit works for you now, as I’m sure you remember.“

“And... and so, if I don’t cum in those twenty minutes, then... I win?”

“I don’t know if I’d say you will have ‘won’ if you manage that, Jim. But, yes... if you can actually survive those twenty minutes under my spell without helplessly blowing your load, then I’ll let you have little Lizzie here all to yourself, as comparatively boring and milquetoast as she may be compared to me. And I’ll go away for good. I’ll leave both of you alone forever.“

Jim pondered Julia’s challenge, looking at Elizabeth, now whimpering helplessly, circling herself faster. Her eyes were growing more and more blank by the moment, emptying themselves heartbreakingly, as whatever-the-fuck Julia was pouring into Elizabeth through those headphones continued working its potent and horrible magic upon her.

“So, Julia... what if I don’t agree to this? What if I just, say, decide to call the fucking cops, right now?”

“And tell them what, Jim? That I’ve got your little girlfriend of two days under my magic spell, and am trying to do the same to you? Elizabeth will just put her clothes on and tell them that everything is fine. The only other possible outcome of all that, other than ‘nothing,’ is a visit to the nearest psych ward for you.”

Jim recognized that Julia was probably right on with that prediction.

“Alright, and what if I just tell you to fuck right off?”

“Then you don’t get anything. You don’t get me. You don’t get any of the fun you and I could be having right now. And you certainly don’t get your darling little Lizzie Jantzen. Unless you let me have my twenty minutes, right now, I’m just not going anywhere... at least not where Lizzie is concerned. I’ll leave you alone, but... if I don’t go anywhere, then she simply stays under my control, effortlessly on my part, just as it always has been.

“...Let’s be clear, Jim. If you think I’ll ever let the two of you be together, if you think I’ll ever let this incredible slight of yours be ‘forgiven’ any other way than giving me those twenty minutes... well, maybe you should go see a shrink about those delusions you’ve been having.“

Jim held his chin in his hands.

“And I know what you’re thinking now, Jim. ‘Oh, well, maybe I can still get Elizabeth back without going through with this. Maybe there’s some sneaky, clever way to beat Julia’s spell...’ Let me save you some time and heartbreak: there isn’t. It’s hopeless to try. I’ve been fascinated with hypnosis, learning to do it, ever since I was a little girl... since I was six or seven years old, no joke, Jim.

“Ever since then, I’ve been studying hypnosis, using hypnosis, getting better and better and better at it, experimenting basically every day on real people. I’ve hypnotized and re-hypnotized hundreds of people, maybe thousands for all I know, getting them to do my bidding in this way or that, doing that shit over and over for my whole fucking life. Add to it that I’ve been hypnotizing Elizabeth for half of hers.

“At this point, I know absolutely every nook and cranny of Lizzie’s little head. I know how to reshape all of those nooks and crannies around my will. You? You know nothing about hypnosis, other than what you’ve experienced under me. And workplace acquaintance aside, you’ve basically known Elizabeth for all of 48 hours.”

Jim paced the room, thinking, listening, as Julia continued.

“So you can’t possibly hope to get better at hypnotizing and controlling Elizabeth than me. You’re not stupid, Jim. You surely can see now what an exercise in futility it would be to try and ‘beat’ me like that where Elizabeth is concerned... at least, you can see it now if you didn’t before. The proof is right in front of you, diddling herself mindlessly on the couch, an empty shell, entirely at my command... just like she was entirely under my command when she suddenly ‘decided’ to fuck you the first time.”

Jim winced.

“...But, tell you what, if you really are so interested now... if you want to see how you can really lock someone out completely with hypnosis, as opposed to that half-assed jerry-rig job you tried last night... well, I’ll let you watch right now. I’ll let you watch as I lock you out of her permanently. Would you really like to see that, Jim? Because I’d be so, so happy to demonstrate how it’s done for you. We all have to learn from someone.“

Jim stopped pacing, reaching the side wall of the living room opposite Julia, looking into the wall, leaning against it... slamming his hand into it, once... twice.

Julia approached him, put a hand on his shoulder.

“This isn’t so bad, Jim. I know it feels like you don’t have a choice, and... well, you really don’t. Because if you don’t give me those twenty minutes, you just end up with nothing. But if you give me those twenty minutes, there’s truly no way you can lose. There are one of two possible outcomes if you go under for me now...”

“...Right, number one, you lose, I win, you go away forever... if I can even take you at your word on that.”

“You can, Jim. If you win, I’m gone, I promise. I’m a lot of things... maybe you don’t like some of those things right now, having seen them, having seen them and judged them without fully understanding the bigger picture with me. But as I keep telling you, I am a woman of my word. If you actually win, I go away for good. And the other possible outcome, which is frankly far more likely, as we both know...”

“We’ll see about that, Julia.” Jim realized that he’d not only bluffed most unconvincingly, he’d also implicitly signaled his agreement to accept Julia’s challenge. Julia didn’t seem to notice.

“...Right, well, anyway, Jim, outcome #2: you don’t ‘win.’ If that happens, believe me, you still win. Because then, I will have you, and I will take care of you. Maybe not in a way you can understand... not yet, anyway. But it’s just like I told you the other night—just put the work in for me, and you’ll never want for anything. I’ll...“

“...you’ll see to that. I know, I know, I fucking know.“

Jim turned to face Julia.

“Alright, Julia. I’ll... I’ll give you your goddamned twenty minutes...”

“Excellent.”

“...and how can I trust you on that point, by the way? How am I supposed to know how much time has elapsed, that you won’t just keep beating me deeper down for hours and hours, while I’ve lost all sense of time?“

Julia silently reached into her pocket, pulled out a little kitchen timer, stopped, already set to count down from thirty minutes.

“Oh, right,” she said, looking backward at the timer’s screen, “once again, I guess I’m simply too well-prepared. But like I keep telling you... I’m a woman of my word.” She pressed at the timer’s buttons, presented its screen for him a second time: 20:00.

“That doesn’t prove anything, Julia. I want to see it count down. For all I know, you’ve, like, hacked it to count down slowly, or to stop counting down at some point, or... something.”

“Jesus, Jim, paranoid much? OK, here’s the deal. Sit down on the couch here, right next to Elizabeth. I’ll let you watch it count down for ten seconds before I start on you.”

“No, Julia. That’s not good enough. It could start counting differently at some point, it could...”

“Jim, seriously, do you really want to prolong this another twenty minutes while you watch it count all the way down? Is that really worth it? I can see that you’re very, very tired already. Every minute you stay physically awake means increased vulnerability to me... every minute you put this off means a far better chance that you’ll lose pretty much right away once I finally get started working on you.

“And even if you actually sit here and watch this thing count down for twenty full minutes, finding that the timer is counting down properly all the way to your satisfaction, well... who’s to say that I might not have a secret button or something that makes it count down differently when you’re actually under?

“...Mind, I don’t have it rigged that way. I don’t have it rigged at all. It’s just as it came off the store shelf. It counts down the seconds as actual seconds, it beeps loudly when it’s done counting down. But you will just have to trust me, Jim. You’ll have to trust me at least this one last time. That’s all you can do.

“Because, listen, I like a fight. I love little struggles like this with my subjects. It’s just so fucking hot watching someone struggle... watching them struggle and then, sooner or later, watching them lose. But I also like a fair fight... at least, as close as I can manage to a fair fight in these circumstances... because we both know you’re already hopelessly outmatched as it stands.”

Jim stared at the timer still in Julia’s hands.

20:00.

“Come on, Jim. Let’s go. Just sit down. Sit down, right next to Lizzie here. I’ll set the timer down on the table and give you that ten-second head start to verify that the timer has actually been started, that it’s operating normally. And then, after those ten seconds are up, you’ll only have nineteen minutes and fifty seconds left in which to outlast me. Helluva deal.”

Jim approached the couch. He sat down next to Elizabeth, still lost in her own video. He looked at Elizabeth’s face, thinking it might be the last time he saw her this way, the very last time he might still see her as beautiful... at least, beautiful in the way he’d come to see her.

Elizabeth went on staring incredibly blankly at the TV. Jim noticed a little tear in the corner of Elizabeth’s eye.

“Jim,” Elizabeth whispered laboriously, still lost in the video, “please... beat her... beat Julia. I... need you.”

“Now, Lizzie,” Julia intoned sardonically, “that wasn’t very nice. I’m standing right here, you know. You haven’t forgotten that it’s Elizabeth’s naptime, have you?” She snapped her fingers.

Jim watched as Elizabeth’s eyes fluttered, rolling back in her head, slowly straightening themselves to take in the image in front of her once again. Her eyes were even more deadly blank now; she sighed deeply, enthralled, as Julia’s preprogrammed bliss washed over her all over again. “No... no, Julia.”

“Good. Keep sleeping deeper, deeper, deeper than ever, Elizabeth. Deeper than ever. Because I’m going to need your help in a minute.”

“No, Julia, you can’t... you...” Jim stood up from the couch.

“Sit down.” Julia pushed Jim back onto the couch. “You can’t reasonably expect me to not use all of the tools at my disposal, can you, Jim? Besides, Elizabeth really likes to be helpful. Don’t you, Elizabeth?”

“Yessss... I like to... be helpful.”

“Good girl.”

“Ohhhh... oh... thank you.”

“And pretty soon, if you keep being a good girl for Julia, you and Jim will be dreaming together again. Doesn’t that sound nice, Elizabeth?”

“Yesssss... ohhh, yessss... please.”

“Goddammit, that’s not fair, Julia. You fucking know that’s not fair.” Jim had no idea what Julia presently had in mind for Elizabeth’s role over the next twenty minutes, but he knew it couldn’t be good. “You can’t use Elizabeth to try and help you win. You heard her. She wants me to win.“

“Jim, right now... she wants whatever I want her to want. Just like you will, sometime in the next twenty minutes. And besides, who says that you’ll even know that it’s Elizabeth helping me?”

“What... what the fuck does that even...”

“Enough, Jim. Enough stalling. I’m starting the timer now. You’d better clear your head and get ready to fight me. I’m saying that for your sake and mine... because I’ll be legitimately disappointed if you lose this thing in the first couple of minutes.”

Julia set the timer down on the table in front of Jim. She pressed a button.

20:00.

Jim watched, waiting... waiting.

19:59.

Shit... it IS working.

19:58.

Nothing in his head. Nothing.

19:57.

19:56.

...So... how to win?

19:55.

“...See, Jim? It’s counting down perfectly normally.”

19:54.

19:53.

Jim hadn’t really heard her. ...how to win...?

19:52.

...and no way out now, I guess? really? I guess...

19:51.

“Now... right now, Jim... sleep for Julia.”

She snapped her fingers.

19:49.

Jim lost sight of the timer.