The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Betrayed Downstream

by The Lycanthrope

Chapter 3 — Opening Pandora’s Box

Sahara Desert, eastern Morocco

I’d felt better about disclosing Project Downstream after Mr. Harrison had announced that the conference would be held at a secure location, rather than the hotel. I don’t think any of us expected that over 1000 conference attendees would be loaded onto a convoy of buses and driven several hours across Morocco, though. We’d left at 6:00 in the morning, heading east on National Route N6. The bus was actually very comfortable, and we were served breakfast while we traveled, much like on an airplane. The first few hours of the trip were scenic enough, especially when we got into the Atlas Mountains.

Lunch was also served airline-style. The buses appeared to be built for long-haul trips across the country, with a small galley compartment behind the restroom and at least some of what would usually be the under-coach luggage area on most buses converted to meal storage space. Descending from the mountains, we eventually made our way onto N19, headed south and east into the desert proper. As the scenery lost its variety and became monotonous, the trip seemed to drag. I wondered if we might get to Algeria soon. I think we came close. The final ten miles or so were on a private road. We were headed straight east, further into the Sahara.

After the long ride, our actual arrival seemed a bit anti-climatic. I don’t know what I was expecting for a “secure location” but a parking lot, a concrete pad with two helicopters sitting on it, and a small cinder block building that looked as much like a truck garage as anything else certainly wasn’t it. There were no high fences with razor wire, no towers with armed guards, no laser intruder detection systems, nothing at all from the “secure location” scenes in spy novels and movies.

I was on the third bus in the convoy. We pulled into the parking lot and stopped beside the second bus. The buses behind us fell in on the other side of us. As I stepped off the bus into the hot afternoon sun, I was almost expecting him.

“Hello again, Dr. Lincoln,” said Blue Suit from the hotel. This time he had another man with him, dressed in the approved conference attendee clothing. The man’s name badge identified him as Dr. Jorge Melendez.

“Hello again. And buenos dias.” I addressed the latter to Dr. Melendez.

“Good afternoon Doctor Lincoln,” he replied in accented English, reading my name badge.

“Please follow me, gentlemen.”

Melendez and I fell in behind Blue Suit and walked toward the small building. The “garage doors” were open and the other men from the buses were already headed in, probably to get out of the hot sun as much as for any other reason. There was no way that we were all going to fit in that building, but we followed Blue Suit anyway. He led us in through one of the doors.

Once inside the building, I found that it was much more than it first appeared. The floor sloped downward to the entrance of a large tunnel beneath the far wall of the building. The tunnel appeared to be illuminated from all sides with a bright, purplish light. Now this was more in line with my fantasies of secret spy installations: An underground lair!

Melendez and I followed Blue Suit down the ramp. The bright light was, indeed, emanating from all surfaces of the tunnel. It looked like it might be some kind of giant ultraviolet disinfecting machine. There were several stations set up with biometric scanners like I’d used on my visit with Clifford Harrison. Behind each station was a narrower tunnel with the same bright purple illumination.

Blue Suit led us to the head of one of the lines. Once again I placed my hand in the scanner, and once again the wristwatch tingled against my skin and then flashed its tiny green light. I noticed that Blue Suit had to go through the same verification process. When the three of us had all passed the scan, Blue Suit led us down the tunnel behind the station. The tunnel was narrow enough that we had to walk single-file. I felt a breeze of air as I walked through the tunnel and noticed in passing that it smelled like the same crisp air in the hotel room.

After about 100 feet, the tunnel opened into a large lecture amphitheater with curved rows of seats all facing the podium, large screen, and tables at the lower end of the room. I noticed that the other narrow tunnels all terminated in this room. The three of us walked down the inclined floor to the lecture stage.

“These are your seats, gentlemen,” said Blue Suit, gesturing to nameplates on the table to the side of the podium. “As you can see, we have ice water for you. If you need a restroom, they’re through the marked doors at either side of the auditorium. Enjoy the conference.”

I was starting to wonder about the whole conference location. It had taken us hours to get there, and it would take just as long to get back. It was already getting fairly late in the day. Were there some kind of accommodations in this underground complex that would let us stay overnight? I set my briefcase on the floor under the table and took my seat next to Melendez. The other attendees were emerging from the tunnels and finding their way to seats in the hall. I turned to Melendez.

“Benjamin Lincoln,” I said, extending my hand. He shook it.

“Jorge Melendez. Of what are you a doctor, Senor Lincoln?”

“A few things, Dr. Melendez, but I think the one that matters at this conference is high energy physics. And yourself?”

“I also have the doctorate of several things. Of importance today is nanobiology.”

“It looks like we just sit here and wait for things to start.”

“That is my thought, Senor Doctor. I am not at ease with so many watching us. I do not make the presentations because my work is… proprietary.”

“Same here, Dr. Melendez. I’m right with you.” We sat and watched as the others continued filing in, feeling uncomfortable as they looked at us and wondered what we were doing on the lecture stage. It took another half hour to get everyone into the room and seated.

An amplified male voice issued from speakers mounted on the walls around the room: “Welcome to the World Hope Renewal Conference. Please welcome your host, Clifford Harrison.” The auditorium erupted into applause as Clifford Harrison emerged from a door at the side of the room and walked to the podium. He pulled a small remote control out of his pocket and pressed a button. The lighting throughout the auditorium dimmed, leaving only the lecture stage brightly lit.

“Welcome gentlemen,” he said into the podium microphone. “Gathered here are 1291 of the brightest minds I could find, all dedicated to making the world a better, healthier, more peaceful place. As you can see, more were invited but unable to attend,” he gestured toward small groups of empty seats around the auditorium, “but I do thank all of you for taking the time to come to this most important gathering.”

What happened next was very unexpected. Clifford Harrison stopped talking and just stood there with an apprehensive look on his face. If anyone in the room would be comfortable talking in front of a group, it should be him, yet he stood silent for nearly 30 seconds. Finally he spoke.

“OK, let’s get this conference underway, shall we?” He thumbed a button on the remote and the doors at the rear of the auditorium swung shut, making a very odd sound as they did so. It was as if the sound of the impact of the doors closing was muted or muffled, but then the metallic reverberations and echos of their closing were at full volume like you’d expect. It was a very strange effect. I heard Mr. Harrison exhale, as if he’d been holding his breath.

He launched into a speech that described the current state of the world and enumerated the major problems humanity faced: overpopulation; war; poverty; disease; famine; pollution; dwindling resources; climate change; all the things most people already knew about.

“But we’re not here to wring our hands over these things,” he said, “we’re here to actually do something about them. This is an open forum for the exchange of ideas. Feel free to ask questions and offer opinions. I want to start the ball rolling with some very exciting news from two of the brightest minds at Harrison Global Technology. First, Dr. Jorge Melendez.”

Mr. Harrison moved to the table at the opposite side of the podium and opened up a laptop network terminal as Melendez stepped to the microphone to begin his talk. Mr. Harrison typed away at his terminal as Melendez spoke.

Melendez had taken the concepts of mechanical nanotechnology and applied it to biological proteins. His creation was a self-replicating protein that could bind to existing proteins and alter their genetic makeup. Basically it was a biological nanite on a cellular scale. The possibilities for this invention were mind boggling. Melendez had experimented with birds, fish, amphibians, rodents, pigs, and primates. His nano-protein worked with all of them. He was particularly proud of his work with C57BL/6J and other genetically obese mice. He’d worked out a variant of his nano-protein that cured the mice of their obesity and of the diabetes so common in that strain of mice. He also mentioned that some of his work in primates might eventually show promise for reducing violent tendencies in prison inmates, but he felt that actual human trials were several years away.

When Melendez finished his speech, the questions flew fast and furious. He answered them all. Yes, it might have the potential to cure cancer, but he would need information in areas that hadn’t been researched yet before he could try to create nano-protein variants to genetically unwind the DNA of various types of cancer. No, there had been no tests on humans. Yes, it was introduced by injection in the tests, but there had also been good success with inhalers, pills, and topical application. Yes, it could be used to improve the health of livestock, but careful testing would need to be done to make sure genetically altered stock were still healthy for human consumption. The question and answer session lasted longer than Melendez’s presentation. He received a well deserved standing ovation when he turned the podium back over to Clifford Harrison.

“Already you’re thinking,” he said. “You’re asking questions, exploring possibilities, applying your own ideas to Dr. Melendez’s work and his ideas to your work. That’s why we’re here, gentlemen. We’re sharing ideas to give the world renewed hope—hope that it can and will become a better, happier, healthier, more peaceful place. Let’s move further toward that goal by hearing what Dr. Benjamin Lincoln has for us.”

Mr. Harrison stepped to the side, but didn’t sit down again as I moved to the podium. As everyone in the room focused on me, he walked off the side of the stage and headed toward the door he’d originally come out of. I looked out at the nearly 1300 men in the audience and rapped my knuckles on the podium.

“As most of you know, this podium is mostly empty space. All matter is mostly empty space. The actual subatomic particles that make up matter are tiny and they’re separated from each other by comparatively huge areas of empty space. The reason that matter is effectively solid to us is because these particles are moving all the time and they bind together to form atoms. Those atoms bind together to form molecules. And molecules bind together to form Dr. Melendez’s amazing cells or to form crystals, gasses, liquids, and the other forms of matter we’re all familiar with. But at any frozen instant in time, all those particles are in just one location with huge empty spaces between them. And in another frozen instant they’ll all be in different locations.

“Now imagine having the ability to collapse all of those frozen instants together, so all those protons, neutrons, and electrons are simultaneously in all the locations they will occupy for some longer period of time. That is a Temporal Singularity, and we’ve created them in the lab.”

I went on to explain how the lifetime of a Singularity was collapsed into a frozen state within a stasis field of paradoxically infinite density but the same mass the matter had when it wasn’t in stasis. Then I dropped the bombshell.

“All by itself, a Temporal Singularity is an amazing thing. The real magic, though is what happens inside the stasis field.” I couldn’t resist pausing a couple of seconds to build a little suspense. “Gentlemen, NOTHING happens inside the stasis field. And by ‘nothing,’ I mean that time as we know it does not pass for anything inside the stasis field for the duration of a Temporal Singularity.”

They stared at me. I didn’t know if it was disbelief or that they didn’t understand. I removed my “official conference uniform” wristwatch and held it up.

“In my lab, I’ve formed a stasis field around a wristwatch. A week later when the Singularity dissipated, the watch was still working perfectly and still displaying exactly the same date and time as when the Singularity was created. And I’ve done the same thing over and over for various durations, encapsulating things like an atomic clock, a beaker of boiling water over an alcohol burner, and three lab mice. When the Singularities dissipated minutes, hours, days, or even months later, all of those things came out of the stasis fields in exactly the same state they went in, with no time having elapsed for them while they were in the field. The clock showed the same time. The water was still boiling and the burner still lit. The mice were still active and absolutely fine. Gentlemen, I’ve found a way to stop time in a controlled space.”

That caused a reaction. Questions started coming at me rapid-fire.

How do I create the Singularity? I’ve built a device (more than one, actually) that creates them. The math and science behind it are highly complex.

How far can the device project a stasis field? It doesn’t project it onto another location, it encapsulates itself and a small surrounding area in the field. So far the largest stasis field had been about two meters in diameter.

What does a stasis field look like? Being of theoretically infinite density, a stasis field reflects back all energy. It looks like a curved solid with a mirror finish, like a reflective mylar party balloon. (That led to the group adopting the phrase “time balloon” to describe a stasis field.)

What do I mean by “theoretically infinite density” and how does that happen? The easiest way to grasp it is to go back to the “matter is mostly empty space” idea and use a model where everything affected by the Temporal Singularity is simultaneously in all the locations it will be in during the whole duration of the Singularity. It’s sort of an “everywhere it will be,” but in actuality it’s not “everywhere” so much as “every-when.” If I had a single grain of sand and every second I moved it to a new location and I did that for centuries, at no point would it look like anything other than a single grain of sand. But if I were to collapse all of those centuries down so that the sand was simultaneously at all the locations it would be in over those centuries, I’d have a beach.

How long do time balloons last? So far I’d created Singularities that lasted anywhere from a fraction of a second to a little over two months.

What controls how long they last? The device that generates the Singularity is pre-programmed with a duration time for the event.

How long does it take to create a time balloon? Once the device is activated, the Temporal Singularity forms in a few milliseconds.

If the device is encapsulated in a time balloon, how can it measure time and know when to stop? The stasis field experiences time duration along a dimension we do not perceive. Basically everything within the field is rotated in multi-dimensional space (I wasn’t going to mention my proprietary co-existent spaces model) so that time moved along a different axis than it normally did. The device simply counted time on that axis and then collapsed the Singularity when it reached the programmed time.

How much power does the device use? Very little power, but it varied with the size of the field. Once a Singularity had been created, it drew power from an alternate dimension to maintain itself, so there was zero power consumption from the standpoint of our reality.

Can these alternate dimensions be used to effectively travel in time? Since stasis fields containing notes from the future hadn’t been arriving in my lab, I assumed that my original equations were correct and time within a stasis field could only move downstream toward the future, with respect to our normal space-time reality. You can’t travel backward in our time dimension, you can only effectively stop time within the stasis field and have the objects in that field emerge at a point in the future in our time dimension.

What animals have been inside time balloons and how did they fare? Only lab mice thus far, and they’d come out of it just fine, with no ill effects at all.

The questions went on for quite awhile. I kept expecting Mr. Harrison to return, which would signal an end to my time at the podium, but the doors at the side of the auditorium never opened. The questions had slowed in pace, replaced by excited discussion between members of the audience. I didn’t know if I should sit down or keep standing there and waiting for more questions. I heard the faint hum of electronic equipment powering up behind me.