The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Betrayed Downstream

by The Lycanthrope

Chapter 4 — The Man With The Plan

World Hope Renewal complex, eastern Morocco

The large video screen behind me came to life, displaying an image of Clifford Harrison seated behind a desk. I stepped back to my seat and sat down, swiveling the chair so I could see the screen.

“Amazing ideas, aren’t they?” Mr. Harrison’s voice came from the speakers on the walls. “These two men of science have certainly given us all a lot to think about and discuss, and we should certainly do that. But that’s not all that we should do. People have been thinking about the world’s problems and debating them for centuries and it hasn’t amounted to anything. What is needed, what has been long overdue, is action.

“We know what the problems are: Too many people for the planet to support and too much unchecked greed and aggression, most often practiced by those of our own gender. We’ve known these things for decades, but nothing has been done about it. Oh, there’s no question that those who practice the unchecked greed and aggression are often in positions of power and they’ll do anything to stay in those positions and keep Earth on course for eventual disaster so they can line their own pockets. But now we have a way to take effective action and try to save the planet.

“How would we design a nano-protein to deal with these things? We could start with Dr. Melendez’ experiments on reducing violent behavior in primates and expand it. We’d reduce the aggressive traits in men and increase the nurturing traits. That would eliminate man’s tendency to start wars and exploit others for personal gain. The world would shift toward a more matriarchal society, where nurturing and caring were paramount and disagreements were settled through discussion, negotiation, and mediation.”

A voice from the audience: “But wouldn’t that basically make men into docile animals, subservient to the wishes of the women?”

“Perhaps to some extent,” said Mr. Harrison from the screen. Apparently there were microphones in the auditorium to pick up questions and comments from the audience.

“It’s not like you’d want to turn men into cattle, of course. But removing the aggressive tendencies and enhancing the more caring traits would make them behave better toward their fellow humans and also toward the Earth. Spreading that nano-protein around the world would go a long way toward making things better for everyone. It could spread topically or through inhalation. It could also be carried by other species so that it would be transmitted by ingestion. Of course you’d want it to transmit through females, as well, so that it could bind to unborn male children.

“So that’s one theoretical way of improving the world with nano-proteins, but it only addresses half the problem. What would we do about the overpopulation?” Mr. Harrison paused for a moment after his rhetorical question, then continued.

“Why not enhance our little nano-protein to eliminate sperm production?” The image on the screen changed to a graph as Mr. Harrison’s voice continued.

“As you can see from this graph, calculations show that if a nano-protein that stopped sperm production were released on a wide scale, world population growth would stop within 18 months. It would take almost four years for the nano-protein to affect the entire population of the Earth, which explains the knee in the graph. After that, it would be all normal attrition and the world population would be expected to decline by about 62 million people a year. The more densely populated an area is, the faster the nano-protein would spread, so the most overcrowded areas would get the most relief as the nano-protein was still spreading. As the chart shows, in 20 years the population will make a significant drop and we’d be well on our way to achieving a sustainable number of people.”

“Wouldn’t we also be well on our way to extinction, since all the men would be sterilized?” asked someone in the audience.

“Excellent point,” said Mr. Harrison’s voice as the screen switched to display a different chart.

“This graph shows what would happen if we were to introduce 1800 men who were not affected by the nano-protein at the end of the previous 20 year graph. You can see that the population continues to decline for quite a few decades, but then stabilizes as the successive generations of the potent offspring of these men grow to the point where we have a stable population of an acceptable size. The calculations here assume that those 1800 men would each impregnate multiple women and that they’d do a good job of raising their progeny to be responsible stewards of the Earth.”

“But wouldn’t those men be sterilized when they were finally exposed to the nano-protein?” The audience was getting into this theoretical exercise.

“Design the nano-proteins to have a limited lifespan. Under normal conditions they last about ten years before becoming inert, but the genetic and other biological changes they make in the hosts remain. It’s actually already part of the makeup of Dr. Melendez’ nano-proteins. They cannot withstand highly energetic electromagnetic environments and they break down almost immediately when exposed to radiation from ultraviolet on up through x-rays and gamma rays. Even in a normal environment they’ll only persist for ten years.”

Melendez spoke to the screen: “Where would you find 1800 men who were unaffected for 20 years? You cannot effectively isolate 1800 men from a nano-protein designed as you describe. The nano-proteins are microscopic and would find their way into every part of the world. Even if you had a hermetically sealed chamber, the men would need food and water and air and the nano-protein would find its way in through those things.”

“You are correct, Dr. Melendez, but there’s another way. Dr. Lincoln’s work gives us a way to protect things inside an impenetrable field for long periods of time. His tests have shown that no known forms of matter or energy can pass into or out of an established stasis field. If we were to encapsulate 1800 men for 20 years, they would bypass the run of the nano-protein and emerge from their encapsulation into the world I have described. We could do that with the men in this room, even. All of you are highly intelligent and dedicated to peace and making the world a better place. You would make excellent stewards for a future Earth.”

Murmurs of uneasiness went through the auditorium. Clifford Harrison’s image came back on the screen.

“I can understand your feelings. Anyone who went through that would essentially disappear for twenty years and then pop back into existence in the future. They’d miss everything that happened for those twenty years. Look at my case. You’ve probably read that my wife is dying of inoperable cancer. Her doctors gave her only three months to live at best, and more likely only half of that. Jumping twenty years into the future means that I’d miss that time with her.”

“It’s all moot anyway,” said a British accented voice from the audience. “Human trials haven’t been conducted on either the nano-proteins or the time balloon. It sounds like we’ve months or years to wait before that happens and this fanciful notion might have a chance of becoming a reality. Good luck getting volunteers if it does become a reality, though.”

“Well,” said Mr. Harrison, “that’s only true if you go by the tests Dr. Melendez and Dr. Lincoln have conducted. As everyone who know him would expect, Dr. Lincoln told you the truth as he knows it. Dr. Melendez did also. But there are things they don’t know about. While we may not understand how their creations work, we certainly do have other groups who test them. Successful tests of both technologies have been performed with human subjects.”

Jorge Melendez and I looked at each other, stunned. The British man in the audience stood up.

“May I ask what the result of these tests were, and when they were conducted, Mr. Harrison?”

“Certainly. All tests were completely successful, with the subjects exactly as we expected them to be. The tests were conducted about twenty years ago.”

A moment of shocked silence, then the auditorium erupted into pandemonium as there were exclamations of disbelief and angry shouts hurled back and forth. Looking around, I could see that very few people truly understood what Clifford Harrison had just said. Feeling like I was going to vomit, I turned to look at Melendez. He looked ill, too. He understood.

“Madre de Dios,” he said, genuflecting.

“What have we done, Jorge?” Ugly words were echoing in my brain— words like “genocide,” “eugenics,” and “holocaust.” We had created the tools for a madman to carry out an insane plan.

We had betrayed all of humanity.

My brain was racing. When had he done it? When had he taken the entire conference twenty years downstream? I remembered his hesitation when he was speaking. Was he contemplating the terrible thing he was about to do? He’d hesitated and then… The doors; that odd sound when the doors closed; that had to be it. In the tiny fraction of a second that it takes for a Temporal Singularity to form the sound of the doors slamming had been left in the past while the echos went with us twenty years into the future. What had we done to the world? What…

Pamela.

Oh no! I didn’t return. I didn’t marry her. I betrayed her...

“GENTLEMEN!” Harrison’s voice boomed from the speakers. I shook my head to try to dissipate my shock, then turned to look at the screen.

“A common motto among men who get things done is that it’s far better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. I ask for your forgiveness because I have taken away your chance to experience the past twenty years.”

Now they all knew, and they sat stunned and silent in their seats, looking numbly at Harrison on the screen.

“For the past twenty years you have been inside a stasis field six miles in diameter. I did try to anticipate everything that could happen, which is why it was so large. When you leave, I recommend that you stay away from the glassy-looking area to the south. That is fused sand from a nuclear blast nineteen years ago. My reading of current history resources tells me that it was a 170 kiloton thermonuclear weapon detonated 19 years ago. The hard radiation has mostly decayed, but you should still stay at least a couple of miles away from that area. The stasis field completely reflected the energy of the nuclear blast away from us. Apparently they thought we were some kind of extraterrestrial object that had come to do harm.”

That didn’t seem too far from the truth to me. The screen switched to an external view of the compound, showing the large area of sand-glass in the distance for a minute before Harrison’s image came back.

“The effects of the nano-protein were almost exactly as expected. You all played a part in distributing the nano-protein. The briefcases and suitcases you brought with you to the conference were periodically dispersing it into the airport terminals, airplanes, baggage compartments, trains, and train stations you passed through. Other travelers picked it up and spread it quickly around the world. You were all sanitized through the use of various high-energy fields in the hotel, on the buses, and in the entryway to this complex. Your briefcases were also switched when you landed, and the new ones also bathed you in electromagnetic energy to destroy the nano-protein. You have all been scanned at least twice for the the DNA markers present when the nano-protein is in your body and you all passed all of your scans. The nano-protein took about a month before it became active enough to start altering your biology, and none of you were exposed to it for more than three days before you were sanitized. You’re all clean.

“As far as the rest of the world goes, it took slightly less than four years before human sperm became extinct, other than inside our stasis field. Population has been declining as expected, and the Earth is beginning to show early signs of recovering from the overload humanity had been putting on it. Technology has improved and people are polluting much less now than in the past. There’s still a long way to go, but we’re definitely going to get there.

“The matriarchal society has come into existence. Most countries are now have women as their political leaders, and the world has become a better place for it. There have been no wars for eleven years. The exploitation of man by man is in decline. We’ve become better caretakers of ourselves and our planet. The world is a better place than it was when you entered this room, but now you need to leave and do your part. Each of you is well equipped to do his part. Programmed investments have been made for each of you over the past twenty years. As you can imagine, stock options in fertility research companies did very well for the first five years. Precious metals were an exceptional investment when the world economy declined after it was obvious that nothing could reverse the male sterility epidemic. Overall the programmed investing had a 72% success rate and the successes were huge while the losses on unsuccessful investments were relatively minor. Each of you is now worth well over one hundred million dollars, as measured in the currency of twenty years ago. You have what you need to do what you need to do. Now it’s time for you to go do it.”

The screen switched to a large World Hope Renewal logo and the tone of Harrison’s voice changed.

“Each of you is now effectively a Biblical Adam. You are the beginning. You are where the future of the human race starts. To prevent the extinction of the human race, you have to father children. You have to father a lot of children. For the next two decades you should each try to father at least a hundred children per year. More would be better, since there are fewer of you than I’d hoped. Obviously that means that you’re going to need multiple mates to bear these children. This will not be a problem in the current society. Men are more docile and subservient than they were. The aggressive and territorial parts of their makeup have been reduced to a tiny fraction of what they used to be. They will have no problem with alpha males such as yourselves having as many mates as you want.

“You’ll find the women very agreeable to this arrangement, too. The nano-protein designed for them had more effects than just eliminating sperm production in any babies they were carrying. The female genetic makeup was altered to make women much more fertile than they normally would be. If the men were sexually potent, there would be an enormous population explosion due to the increased fertility. As you’d expect, this increased fertility will be diluted with successive generations of offspring, reaching a normal level within five or six generations. The abilities of the female vomeronasal organ have been enhanced and linked to other areas of the brain.

“The scent of a sexually potent male now has a few distinct effects on women. First, you’ll find them very interested in coupling with you. Your scent causes a high level of sexual stimulation in females of childbearing age and you will find them very sexually responsive. Second, there will also be an immediate recognition of you as an alpha male and they will become very subservient and obedient to you. Finally, we’ve seen some instances of what, for lack of a better term, could be called a “binding effect” where the woman comes to see herself as the property of the alpha male and behaves accordingly. The binding effect is secondary to the obedience, so you’ll be able to override it by commanding her, but you should be aware that it does exist in some cases. The distances at which women can detect the scent of an alpha male vary greatly with varying conditions. If you’ve just been exercising and there’s a breeze blowing in her direction, a woman may be able to detect it from twenty feet or more. In an enclosed space, the scent of your sexual potency may become concentrated and she’ll easily be able to detect it strongly from anywhere in that space. In any case she’ll know you’re an alpha male if you stand immediately next to her.

“You needn’t worry about fathering too many children. Even if each of you were to impregnate a different woman every day, the resulting births would hardly make a dent in the population decline toward sustainability. You do need to teach your children your values, though. Teach them to cherish peace and to always be good caretakers of their fellow humans and their planet. Make sure that they teach their children and future generations, too. The continuation of these values is critical to ensure that the Earth never again starts down the path toward destruction.

“Again, I must beg your forgiveness. I have given you all an incredible gift, but I have also taken away something that cannot be replaced. I feel that I have given the world renewed hope for a better future and I know that all of you will share in that hope. This is your world, gentlemen. Welcome to it.”

The doors at the rear of the auditorium opened, moved automatically by mechanical actuators. Most of the audience sat in shocked silence, trying to come to grips with what had happened to them. I ran toward the doors. I had to get to Pamela. I had to explain what had happened.

As I ran through the UV-illuminated tunnels, I heard others following me. The security stations were unmanned. We ran up the ramp and out the large doors of the building. A helicopter was flying away from us in the distance, then it suddenly vanished.

No, it hadn’t vanished. The angle of the sun had changed. The clouds in the sky were different. Harrison had sent us downstream again! How long? Hours? Days? Years? He must have had us listening to a pre-recorded speech while he got out of range of another stasis field. I turned and headed back into the complex, fighting against the stream of men headed toward the exits. I had to make sure that Harrison didn’t downstream us again.

The auditorium wasn’t empty when I reached it. There were still quite a few men sitting in their seats. Some were weeping. I made my way quickly to the door that Harrison had used. Behind the door was a short corridor that ended in a door marked “Exit.” That had to be a back way out of the complex that Harrison had used to escape. There was a door on the left side of the corridor and a door on the right side. I opened the one on the left.

Inside was the office Harrison had used when he was on the video screen. There was a camera pointing at the empty chair and various controls for the video system. There was no Temporal Singularity device. I went back to the corridor and opened the door on the right.

Behind the door was a huge room filled with mechanical equipment. There were generators to provide electricity to the complex, heating and cooling systems, communication systems, air filtration systems, and the largest Temporal Singularity device I’d ever seen. The design looked exactly like the ones I’d built, but this one had to be at least six feet on each side. The field projectors would have to be that large to create a stasis field six miles across. The chronometric display on the device showed that it had just completed a one month stasis. Harrison had downstreamed us for an additional month after he left.

I pulled the switch on the electrical box next to it, cutting power to the device. When I swung the front access panel up, I was relieved to see that once you got past the huge field projectors it was exactly the same as my design. I reached inside and unplugged the multi-spatial lattice and put it in my pocket. The lattice was the heart of the device. Everything else was pretty much standard electronics, but the multi-spatial lattice was what created the Temporal Singularity.

When I returned to the auditorium, the remaining men were making their way up to the doors. There were calls from beyond the tunnel that someone or something was coming. I joined them and exited the complex again. Four large flying craft were slowly approaching from the north. They appeared to hover in the air, about 1000 feet above the ground, and they moved by rotating ducted propellers to push them whichever way they wanted to go. Later I would learn that the craft were called “lifters” and they’d been sent by Harrison to bring us back to Rabat.

A few hours ago we’d walked into the complex. Twenty years and one month later we were headed home.