The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Chasing Cyndi

by J. Darksong

Chapter 1.

I think perhaps I’ve known Cyndi for most of my life.

From the first day in kindergarten, I’d known she was something special. I’d brought my teddy bear with me to class, and the other kids had laughed at me, calling me a big baby. I’d felt so humiliated and sad that I’d spent the rest of the day in the back hiding under my desk. Cyndi had noticed me , however, and while all the other kids were finger painting, she plopped down under the desk, joining me.

“What’s his name?” she’d asked me, pointing to the stuffed bear I still held tightly.

“Sunshine Bear,” I ‘d answered through sniffles. “He’s my pal. I’ve had him since I was little.”

“He seems pretty cool,” she’d said looking him over. “I have one at home myself, named Bobby Bear, but my mom wouldn’t let me bring him.”

I’d nodded. Then, for some reason I still don’t know, I handed him over to her. “You can... um... you can play with him some, if you want,” I’d said, wiping away my tears. She’d smiled then, and even though the other kids’ laughter still hurt, I smiled as well, feeling a lot better.

It’s amazing how much having just one person in the world as a friend can make things seem just so much better. Our friendship had grown and blossomed from that moment of kindness, and we became fast friends. All throughout elementary school, and junior high, we were inseparable. We always hung out together, ate lunch together, and since we shared most of the same classes, worked on homework together. She was simply a great person to be around, smart, kind, funny, and loyal to a fault. We had the same tastes in clothes, the same tastes in books and movies, the same tastes in music. Sometimes, it seemed like we were two parts of the same soul. Which, it seemed, we possibly did.

We’d always been best friends, which I enjoyed, but as we both matured, and I began to notice her as more than just my ‘buddy’, I began to want her to ‘notice me’ as well. Unfortunately, it seemed the same time I started noticing girls, Cyndi did as well. As her best friend and confidant, she admitted to me over lunch that she’d started having ‘feelings’ during gym class when she’d showered across from Jenny Stewart. We were both world savvy enough to recognize lesbian tendencies and what that meant. Inwardly, I was disappointed, but as her ‘bestie’ I was supportive and encouraging, and our friendship continued on just as before.

Physically, we couldn’t have been more different—myself, a large, stocky black kid, short black hair and brown eyes, and her, a tall, thin, willowy olive skinned brunette beauty with grey eyes. And she was a beauty, changing from an awkward but cute girl into a very beautiful young woman over the years, though every mention of her looks would cause her to respond with a ‘yeah right’ and roll her eyes. It was something of a mystery, to me as well as the rest of the student body, why she chose to hang out with me instead of the popular girls.

“Don’t be stupid, Johnny,” she’d say every time I asked. “You’re much more fun that those bunch of snooty snobs. Why would I want to hang out with them when I have you?”

Needless to say, we remained fast friends all the way though school, up to our high school graduation. As harrowing a time as high school was, and as glad as I was to finally be done, I was also sad... sad that Cyndi and I wouldn’t be seeing each other every day anymore. I’d been accepted to a University on one side of the country, and she had been accepted to an all women’s college on the other. It sucked, big time, as if fate had conspired to separate us, but this was our future after all, and you had to go where the opportunity was. We even exchanged our childhood ‘friends’ from Kindergarten after the ceremony to make sure we’d never forget each other. We wrote each other and talked on the phone, a lot at first, but as is usually the case during those college years, we slowly drifted apart. Still, I often thought a lot about her, wondering how she was, and what she was up to, and every time I saw Bobby Bear sitting on my shelf in the bedroom, I wondered how her life had turned out.

* * *

Fast forward in time a few years. I was back home again, working at the local pharmacy and living in my one bedroom bachelor pad. I was still single, my battle scarred heart just healing up from a recent bad breakup, and less than happy to go home to my private sanctum sanctorum alone. Tossing a meal into the microwave, and grabbing a beer from the fridge, I sat down on my couch, and clicked on the TV. Still very much the nerd, I scrolled through all the shows recorded on my DVR: the newest episode of Eureka, the season finale of Smallville, a few old episodes of Burn Notice, and today’s Attack of the Show from G4. “Another great end of another great day,” I murmured to myself, taking a drink of beer.

I was lonely. With Candy out of my life, I was feeling a lot of self-pity, and my confidence was at an all time low. I sat there in front of the TV reminiscing, thinking back about the ‘good ol’ days’, back when I had a confidant and a best friend to confide in... someone to crack jokes, or remind me of what a bitch Candy was and that I was so much better off without her. I missed my best friend. I missed Cyndi.

Call it fate. Call it destiny. Call it Kismet. Whatever the name, just as I was sitting there, moping, wishing that I could talk to my closest and dearest pal, my doorbell buzzed, and who should I see on my doorstep when I opened the door but my long lost friend, Cyndi Jacobs!

“JOHNNY!!” she yelled, stepping inside, wrapping her arms around me in a big hug.

“Cyndi!” I exclaimed, not daring to believe it was really her. We hugged for several minutes before pulling part, grinning at each other like a pair of fools. “Hey! Wh... where the heck did you come from? And what are you doing here?” I pulled her further inside and closed the door. “Man! It’s been ages since I’ve seen you. C’mon, have a seat, make yourself comfortable!” I gestured to the couch. I didn’t have much in the way of furniture in my humble little abode, but it was actually respectably clean. “Can I get you something to drink?”

“Nah, I’m fine, thanks, don’t go to the trouble.” she said idly, looking around the apartment. “Nice place you have here, Johnny. I was expecting something... I dunno... like Star Wars miniatures and posters all over the place.”

I chuckled softly from the kitchen. She was baiting me. “Its no trouble. Hell, after seeing you appear like this out of thin air, I could use something to drink myself. But... Cyndi, hon, I know its been a few years since the last time we talked, but your memory can’t be THAT bad! I’m a Star Trek guy, not a Star Wars fan. And if you’re looking around for a bunch of paraphernalia, you’ll have to check my bedroom.”

She laughed in response. “Suuuure. Just an excuse to try and get me into your bedroom. Sorry, Johnny, nice try though.” She was still smirking when I returned with a glass of orange soda with ice, and handed it to her. “Ah, you remembered,” she said smiling.

“Yeah, well, I figured one of us should have a reliable memory.” I sat down on the far end of the couch, and waited until she sat down as well to continue. “So... what brings you here? In town visiting the folks? Last I heard you were staying with your... um, girlfriend, down in Austin.” Cyndi looked down, letting out a small sigh.

“Yeah. Karen. Well... let’s just say that things didn’t work out so well with Karen. We both agreed to give each other some space... so I figured four or five states between us would be a good start.”

“Oh. Sorry.” I shrugged. “For what its worth, I know how you fill. I recently broke up with my girlfriend as well. Officially its ‘irreconcilable differences’, but the truth is, I caught her cheating on me.” I sighed deeply. “Is it just me, Cyndi, or is every single woman out there in the world incapable to having a long term monogamous relationship? Is EVERY woman out there either a complete and total bitch or a sex crazed hedonistic slut without any morals whatsoever?”

“No, not every girl,” Cyndi said, kicking off her sneakers. “Only about nine-tenths, that’s all. Frankly, I think it’s our age. We’re twenty-six years old, with the minds and souls of people twice our age. We’re too mature for our peers.” She shrugged. “That’s my take on it, anyway.”

By habit, my eyes tracked downward, towards Cyndi’s pretty peds. Whether it was simple habit, or the fact that she felt comfortable enough around me to kick off her shoes and get comfortable, she’d inadvertently triggered my biggest fascination. While she chatted on and on, talking about this and that, I found my gaze pinned to her pale soft bare feet, her small unpainted toes wiggling idly as she rubbed them slowly back and forth across my carpeted floor. My mouth went dry, and squirmed slightly in my seat as my pants became uncomfortably tighter. I stared for I don’t know how many minutes, before she cleared her throat loudly.

“Johnny? Did you hear what I said?” she asked again, an eyebrow raised.

“Huh?” I said, blinking, my gaze finally traveling back up to her face. “Sorry, what was that again?”

She rolled her eyes. “I asked how your parents were doing, if you’d talked to them lately. Geez, what’s up with you? It’s like you’re mind’s completely somewhere else...” she frowned, her glance going down to her feet as mine returned there a second or two. “Ahhhh. I see.” she said with a chuckle, curling her toes. Hastily, she slid her feet back into her sneakers. “Sorry about that. I forgot about your little... ‘thing’.”

Blushing hotly, I rolled my eyes at her this time. “Yeah, well, you are the forgetful one, after all,” I murmured. “Anyway... um... my folks? Yeah, they’re doing okay. I see them at least once or twice a month, and I talk to them every weekend. What about your folks? Is that what you’re doing here, in town visiting?”

“Johnny,” she said patiently, “I just told you that. No doubt you were stuck in la-la land at the time...” she said with a smirk, “but yeah. I came home to visit my parents for a little while, and, well... you know... heal the old heart a bit, try and get Karen out of my mind. But the joke’s on me. My folks are out of town, on vacation in Maui for the next two weeks. So, I got a room at the Red Roof Inn, and figured while I was here in town, I might as well look up my old friend.”

“Well, I’m glad you did, Cyndi,” I said truthfully, with a smile. “It would be great to reconnect and catch up a bit. I’m just getting home from work, but I’m off for the next few days, and if you give me a few minutes to change, we can go out somewhere...”

“Nah,” she said with a slight yawn. “I only just got into town myself, so I’m a little jetlagged. I should probably go to my hotel and call it a night, but I wanted to stop by and see you first.” Standing up, we hugged again for a long moment. “I’ll give you a call in the afternoon... say around twoish? Is that okay?”

“Sure,” I said with a smile. “Sounds great.” I saw her to the door, then paused. “It’s damn good to see you again, Cyndi. It’s a shame we lost touch all those years ago. I’ve really missed you.”

“Yeah, and I missed you too, Johnny,” she said in a soft voice. Looking down at the ground, she sighed. “Yanno, sometimes I wish I was a normal, hetero girl, and that we’d hooked up back in high school. You... you get me, in a way no one else ever has, Johnny. You’re the best person I’ve ever known. If only I could find a girl like you...” She shook her head, shaking off the momentary melancholy, forcing a grin back on her face. “Eh. Oh well. We are what we are. No changing that. I’ll see ya later, Johnny.” And with that, she left.

I stood there for a longer moment, watching her as she drove off, and continued to stare out into the evening after she departed. Her words haunted me, as well as the tone, the sadness, and loneliness behind every syllable... the same sadness and loneliness I felt. We were two sides of the same coin, both lonely, both hurting, and both longing for what the other had to give, but like a coin, both sides joined yet always apart.

“You’re the best person I’ve ever known. If only I could find a girl like you...”

With a deep sigh, I closed the door and went back to my couch. My mind was awhirl, twenty years of repressed desires and flooding back to me once again. I’d always secretly pined after Cyndi, though after learning which way she swung I’d never mentioned my feelings for her. Now, it seemed, she had similar feelings towards me, that if not for my vaunted ‘Y’ chromosome, we’d most likely have become a couple years ago.

“Oh well... we are what we are... no changing that...”

And suddenly, I had a thought, wonderful and terrible, so much so that I immediately pushed it away to the back of my mind, only to have it surge immediately back to the forefront. I grunted, determined not to even consider such a thing, turning the TV back on, and starting an episode of Burn Notice, only to zone out on it a few minutes later, considering that which I dared not consider. My fields of study at the University had centered around chemistry, and psychology, taking advantage of my analytical mind and my ability to plan out and plot a solution to pretty much any problem I am presented with. And as much as I resisted the notion, that analytical part of my brain registered the fact that all the pieces were there for me to solve the one and only problem between Cyndi and myself. Even after I gave up watching TV, and showered and went to bed, I found myself still mulling it over in my head.

As I slipped under the covers, settling in for the night, I finally gave in to my inner demons. The solution was there, just waiting for me to grasp it. I knew, then, that I was going to make the attempt. In the end, she would either love me, or hate me, but regardless of the outcome, I knew I had to try.

* * *

My grin turned to an open smile as the door opened and Cyndi stepped inside, decked to the nines in a black leather dress and matching clogs. “Well well well. So you DO own more than just flannel shirts and blue jeans after all,” I teased as she chuckled, rolling her eyes at me. “When I said we should go out, I meant to see a movie and hang out at the bar, not ballroom dancing.”

“Ha ha. Yer so funny you should take Conan O’Brien’s time slot.” Glancing at me, she nodded, whistling. “And look at you? Looks like you added more to your wardrobe than just khakis and warm up suits.”

“What? This old thing?” I asked, shrugging. “Okay, if you must know, one of my ex-girlfriends pretty much made the same comment, and insisted that if I wanted to date her, I’d have to start dressing the part. I probably should have known it wasn’t going to work out when I ended up spending more money on her and our dates in a month than I did on rent! On the upside, I did improve my wardrobe a bit.”

“Sounds like a real bitch. Oh well, maybe now that she’s not with you anymore, she’ll come to figure out what she’s lost. You know what they say... you never know what a good thing you’ve got until it’s gone.”

How very true, I thought to myself. After a bit more teasing, we left for the movie. I hadn’t heard much about John Carter other than it was the same guy who’d written Tarzan, but Cyndi was really jazzed up about seeing it. And it wasn’t bad, actually, though the plot and premise made little sense to me. Afterwards, we grabbed a bite of dinner at Carino’s—we went Dutch, at her insistence, since my paying for us both would make it too much like a ‘date’—then we went out to The Loft for a few drinks.

“So, you’re like a pharmacist now, huh?” she said, taking a deep drag of her MGD. “Kind of tame. After the time you blew up the chemistry lab in Mr. Fredrick’s class, I kind of figured you would end up as some kind of mad scientist or something.” She laughed, dodging as I swung half-heartedly at her head.

“How many times do I have to tell you, I didn’t blow up the chemistry lab!?!” I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air. “Maurice Freeman, my lab partner, is the one who grabbed the wrong beaker. I tried to stop him, yet everyone just naturally assumed I was the one who caused the explosion.” I grunted, crossing my arms as she continued to laugh. “And anyway, it wasn’t that big of a blast anyway. It didn’t blow up the lab, just kinda scorched the ceiling and the walls a bit.”

“Yeah, whatever, man,” she tittered, shaking her head. “Still, I always expected you to become a doctor or something. Why’d you choose to become a pharmacist?”

“Well, I like chemistry. It’s more of a scientific fascination rather than a calling. I have no wish to dig around inside someone’s guts,” I said, going slightly pale at the thought. “And it takes just as much training, knowledge, and skill to become a pharmacist as it does to become a surgeon,” I pointed out. “Anyway, I’d rather spend my time alone in the back mixing medicines than working with patients. I, er... don’t have much of a bedside manner.”

“A regular Dr. House, eh?” she said with a sigh. “Johnny, don’t take this the wrong way, but you really devalue yourself. You’re a great guy. You have a lot of potential. And I think the only ones who don’t see it is you, and those stupid bimbo sluts you used to date.” She took another deep drink, and I chuckled.

“Don’t beat around the bush, Cyn, tell me what you REALLY think.” I sighed. “You know, I could easily say the same thing about you, yanno. True, your degree in Liberal Arts isn’t exactly a flag waver for the old resume, but with your writing talent, you don’t really need it! I’ve read every single article you published in every magazine you submitted to. And I used to proofread for you all through junior high and high school. You’re good, Cyndi... damn good. You need to quit dancing around and finish the novel you’ve been working on all these years and get it published! If that Harry Potter girl in England and that Twilight chick here could do it, then so can you!”

Cyndi reddened slightly, looking down. For all her forwardness and her outgoing personality, there were still some things she felt very shyly about. And apparently sharing her creative work with the public was still one of them. “I... I dunno, Johnny,” she said after a moment. “Maybe later. Right now... I’m just not at that point yet. It’s hard to find the time and energy... and believe it or not, writing takes a lot out of you. Not to mention the stress of working for a publisher, having a deadline to meet...” She shuddered. “I always hated having to write those damned assignments for English class. The closer it came to the deadline, the more freaked out I would always get.”

“And yet, your papers were always the best,” I pointed out. “Your stories made the rest of ours look like the incoherent ramblings of pre-schoolers.”

“Heh. Not yours,” she countered, slamming her empty bottle down on the counter, before picking up a second. “I’d start an assignment the day it was given, and work on it every day ‘til it was due. But you, you always waited ‘til the very last second, and usually finished writing it on the bus ride to school! And even then, you usually got a B or B+, all without even trying. Imagine if you’d actually put some effort into it.”

We bantered back and forth for a while that way, reminiscing about the old days. Six or seven beers later, and we were both pretty loose, but not really really drunk. With my build, I was handling the alcohol better, but Cyndi’s higher metabolism helped her hold her own. We played the old Street Fighter 3 game in the corner, which I excelled at even drunk, and then played a few games of darts, which she excelled at while drunk. We had a grand old time. Time really got away from us, though; before I noticed, it was one AM. Even though we weren’t quite ready to call it a night, we both agreed it was probably best to head out. And since neither of us was really in a mood to drive, I called us both a taxi.

“This was fun,” she said, eyes shining brightly, as her taxi driver pulled up. “I haven’t laughed this hard in ages. We’ll have to do this again some time soon.”

“My thoughts exactly,” I replied as my taxi pulled up as well. “I don’t know what plans you have for tomorrow, but I’m free all day. Speaking of which... how long are you staying in town for? More than just two or three days, I hope?”

“I leave for home next Friday,” she said, weaving slightly as she opened the taxi’s door and slid into the back seat. “I need to catch up with a few more old friends in the morning, but we can meet in the evening, around six, maybe?”

“Sounds good. I’ll see ya then!”

Inside the cab, I let out a soft sigh. This had been easily the best date I’d ever had, even if my partner steadfastly refused to consider it one. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if we’d both been going back to the same location, instead of heading in opposite directions. But then, I smiled. After all, she wasn’t leaving for seven more days. I had plenty of time to convince her to stay. It wouldn’t be easy, but I had the means and the motivation needed to change her mind...