The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Clocks and Timepieces 1: The Frame

Issue 4

The Return of Omega Girl

Lacie Frasier awoke with a start.

It took several seconds for her racing heartbeat to slow back to normal, time in which she reminded herself of several things. First, that that strange and powerfully intense dream was anything BUT a dream, but her goddess powers at work. Second, that had it been less than a week since she’d had them restored, and she was still getting used to having them again. Third, and most disturbing of all, was the knowledge that the events occurring now, and the people involved, could very well lead to another catastrophe, bringing the world once again to the brink of disaster as her daughter Katie had just a few short days ago.

Katie. The thought made her smile warmly. Such a terrible trial she’d had to face, and yet, in the end, she’d come through. The poor dear was still in the hospital, recovering from the physical, mental, and emotional strain. Eva had confided in her that the damage to her psyche was extensive... ‘nearly as bad as what you suffered at the hands of the Mind Five back in the day’...but that with therapy, and, more importantly, the love and support of family and friends, Katie would make a full recovery.

Lacie frowned. The Mind Five. Parfume, Dr. Feelgood, FX, Peepshow, and Brainstorm. She hadn’t thought of them in years, most of them still serving out the rest of their time in solitary or, like the Doctor, passed on. And yet the events happening right now on the other side of the world brought that time back with startling clarity. On a hunch, she slid quietly out of her bed, careful not to awaken Eva or Eugene, letting them both sleep as she made her way to the hallway. It was much more difficult to read the Great Weave away from Yggdrasil, and she was very much out of practice... but with an effort, the threads aligned to her Sight, showing all too clearly what was happening.

“Vurda? Can you hear me? It’s Lacie. We need—”

“To talk?” the older woman finished, appearing before her in a nimbus of pale soft light. “Yes, daughter’s daughter, I am aware of what is happening. The others have not yet realized what is occurring, but we, you and I, we knew it instantly. The boy is here, in this reality, where “we” sent him.... even if it were not the ‘we’ that we are at this moment in time.”

“I know,” Lacie responded tersely, her frustration evident. “And I know that the other ‘Me’ must have had a good reason for bringing them all here, that her memories and mine intersect in all points in space and time... but for the life of me, I can’t imagine why the HELL she would send them here NOW... so soon after we’re recovering from such a close call!” She sighed heavily. “Katie is recovering, and dear Sioban has been at her side the whole time, a true ‘guardian angel’. And Jimmy and his beloved are just starting to get their lives back together as well. Now that we know about Devon, the strain of maintaining the integrity of the Weave is lessened, but she has yet to accept her place as one of us. She still hasn’t come to Yggdrasil and come into her full knowledge and power. If we are truly facing a dire threat, as their arrival here seems to portend—”

“Then we will need young Devon with us sooner rather than later,” Vurda finished, sighing heavily. After a moment she shrugged. “Your children... always a handful. And here I thought my life was complicated with only one of my three daughters disrupting things by falling in love with a lowly human...” At Lacie’s dour look, she chuckled. “Now now, child. I’ve said time and time again that I was wrong in how I treated your mother and father. Just because MY experiences with men differ from yours is no reason to automatically hate and distrust them all. If there is anyone who can learn from past mistakes and change, it is I.”

“Okay. So... what do we do now?”

‘I suppose that depends upon you, Sister Lacie,” Vurda said, formally, bowing slightly. “This IS your domain after all. Whatever the reason, Verdandi chose to bring the seiðmaðr here to our reality. She... and you, must have had a reason.” Vurda shrugged, her body beginning to glow lightly. “Until the situation warrants that the Nornir intervene directly, I shall leave it to you to handle things as you see fit.” Just before she vanished, she uttered one last piece of advice. “Please, Daughter’s daughter. do not let your emotions overwhelm you. And to not let your personal feelings come before your duties to the Great Weave.“

* * *

Hack glanced up as a bright yellow streak appears in the sky above, circling once before heading towards their location. “Hey... is anybody else seeing this?” Hack said, pointing up at the sky. He adjusted his glasses to get a better look and then wiped them off, but the light was still there and getting there fast. The others glanced up, frowning slightly as it drew closer. “What is it?”

Nastia narrowed her eyes. “I cannot tell. It doesn’t look like a bird... and it’s too small to be a plane...”

Suddenly Kyle went stiff in shock. “No way... it can’t be... it’s Omega Girl!”

Indeed, Omega Girl arrived a moment later, hovering lightly a few feet above the group before landing lightly, her golden blonde hair and scarlet sash waving in the breeze. Everyone froze, not knowing what to do or how to react to her sudden appearance. In the other world, Dark Star meant death, the general of Brainstorm’s Stormtroopers, the unrelenting unstoppable juggernaut that signaled the end. Kyle winced, recalling the time he had fought her once to buy time for their escape. He had nearly died and had to be in recovery for weeks after the encounter.

In this world, she was still a heroine, a savior, a shining example of light and hope for all. Yet, all the people in the know had said she had been rendered powerless, that she’d become an ordinary normal woman once more after facing she and Armor Man had faced down the tyrant Duncan Frasier, and had been in hiding ever since. If so, if the rumors were true... then who was standing before them now? It dawned on Kyle that if this indeed was Omega Girl, that he could actually meet his mother, for real this time. No fighting, no punching, no mind control. He didn’t know how to feel about that just yet. Did he need a mother? He’d survived this long without one. Why have one now?

Lacie, for her part, was torn. She’d left home with a plan, to talk to the group of outlanders, ascertain their plans, what they intended to do, decide if they were a threat and deal with them accordingly. She’d intended to take Vurda’s words to heart and remain objective. But the moment she’d laid eyes on the boy... on Kyle... her resolve had shattered like a thrown crystalline champagne goblet. She’d never seen him before, had never laid eyes on him before in her life, and had certainly never given birth to the boy. And yet... she knew instantly, with every fiber of her being, that this was her child, every bit as much as Katie and Jimmy.

This was her son.

“Kyle,” she said without thinking, taking a step towards him. Immediately, everyone went into action, Tone and Nastia moving to step in front of him, to protect him if needed. Lacie paused, chagrined. Protective sort, aren’t they? Hmmm... I wonder if it’s more a fear for me, or love of him.

“Mom.” Kyle replied gruffly, his powers tensing, his hand in his jacket. The technological sword he had in his possession as well as his phone, and all of the electronic devices the group had formed rapidly into technological armor around himself. The others looked at Kyle in a bit of confusion, very few knew his relation to Dark Star and Brainstorm. Only Gwen and Nigel had known about his heritage.

Holding up her hands in peace, Lacie took a step back. “Relax. I’m not here to cause any trouble. I merely came to talk.” She noted idly the differences and similarities between Kyle and Gene’s taste in armor. Lacie bit her lip, wondering idly how much she could safely reveal. She wasn’t sure how much they knew, about her, about this world they were in, and how vast the differences were. And though she had, in a way, sent them all here from the other dimension, she wasn’t sure just how much her ‘other self’ had revealed to them. You would think being a Norn, being Verdandi herself, I’d be used to these kinds of things, she lamented silently. But I’m no Dr. Who. This ‘timey-wimey’ stuff always give ME a royal headache.

Aloud, she said, “I know this is all very strange. We need to take a moment and compare notes. Let me start by saying that I know pretty much what’s going on here... that you are all from a world beyond this one—from the ‘Season of Storms’.” She noted with no small satisfaction that the doubt on some of their faces had vanished with that statement. Kyle’s techno face mask armor shrunk back into his collar, still wary, but less defensive. “I’m also aware you all arrived at different times instead of simultaneously as you’d planned. And I know that you can’t go home... that your plan to change history and save your world has fallen through.”

“What?!” Hack and Tone exclaimed.

“Fuck.” Kyle said glumly, “Forgot to mention that didn’t I?”

“What the hell? We came all this way for nothing?” Hack cried out.

“Our world… All those people…” Tone mourned, tears forming in her eyes.

Lacie sighed softly. “For what it’s worth, I admire your attempt. A friend of mine once tried to do the same thing—go back in time and change things, fix her future and make it a better and brighter one. Her reasons were more... selfish, I suppose, but she still had the best of intentions. Unfortunately, her attempt didn’t turn out so well.".

“So, what happened to her?” Hack asked.

“She died,” Lacie replied pointedly, “Of course, it wasn’t as bad as it seems. She met herself, the version of herself in this world. At first they fought like cats and dogs, each one despising the other for the life the other one had. Then, eventually, they called a truce. and even developed something of a burgeoning friendship... or as much a friendship one can have with an alternate version of one’s self.” She shrugged. “In the end, the so-called ‘evil twin’ risked her life to save her good version, dying a martyr’s death. And with her passing, Sarah gained the knowledge and experiences of her other half.” She shook her head. “A sad thing. And yet... it was fated to happen. There were two of her in the same reality. in the same time stream. It was a paradox. And if there is one thing the universe hates, it’s a paradox.”

Tone began to cry. It was something she didn’t do often, but the weight of the millions of souls who would never be free had dawned on her. Hack did his best to console her. Kyle looked dejectedly at the ground as if that were his old world in itself. He realized that this was how he would normally react either, but The Jabberwocky had changed him. He looked over at Nastia, who stood their, seemingly unemotional, but her eyes betrayed her, she was weeping inside too.

“You can cry Nastia. It’s okay.”

“Thank you Master!” She wept aloud, tears immediately cascading down her face. She threw herself into his embrace and he did her best to console her with a hug. The hug forced him to look at Lacie and he shuddered slightly. They were similar in appearance, but he also had Brainstorm’s key features. He was a rape victims child, no doubt utterly disturbing to her, to see her rapists face before her. Their resemblance was uncanny.

“I have your nose.” He couldn’t help but say.

“You have a lot more than that, son,” she said gently, stepping towards him again, reaching out hesitantly to touch his face. When he didn’t pull away, she let out a soft sigh. The connection was there. As much as she’d hoped for it and feared for it, it was definitely there. She only hoped that he felt it as well.

But Kyle’s thoughts dwelt more on the mystery of the woman before them rather than their bond. Something more than that. He thought, there was something about her that he couldn’t quite place. A similarity in appearance…to the Norns? Which one was it? One of the Norns, Present he thought, and Lacie had a similar…essence about them. He studied her a bit more, he was excellent with people, almost always getting the gist of who they were in a matter of seconds. Gwen had always told him that was his true super power. He could always distinguish friend from foe and tell you a lot about them. That’s why it piqued his interest that the gist of what he got from Lacie and Present was so similar. He would have to inquire about that in private; there were more important matters to address and from the gist he got, she was an ally at the very least.

“We should talk later I’m sure.” Kyle said, “There’s a couple things brought up by what you said earlier about paradoxes. There’s two Ultra Girl’s here now. The Jabberwocky brought this one over. He’s a shady guy who just killed Gwen in front of my eyes. Gwen was my…girlfriend from the other dimension. The Jabberwocky, I’m not so sure, but he used dark powers, like your kid, I guess my half brother can. Jimmy right? He was called Nightfall back there. That in itself is disturbing. And see the hole in that house? I made that. But I have no idea how. The Jabberwocky, he knew things. He knew where I was, he was waiting for me. He knew my name, my connections. Everything. And that’s weird cuz I just got here. He also ordered Shatterstar to kiss me. I felt a surge of power then, and the next thing I knew I was shooting out energy beams just like her. He seems to have known that too. You’re a friend, I can tell. So I thought I’d bring you up to speed. Guess I haven’t really told these guys either judging by the looks on their faces.”

The group were all in shock at what had happened. None of them had heard every detail about those things, especially about Nightfall and the energy beam explosion that was seemingly connected to Shatterstar.

“Wait…WHAT!?” Hack exclaimed.

Lacie sighed heavily, rubbing the bridge of her nose. “Look, this is all well and good, but we really need to move this along. It’s daytime here, but its the middle of the night back home in River City! You lot might have acclimated to the time change on the flight over, but we’re in the middle of my bedtime. How about we finish this conversation back home in a few hours, say, over a mug of hot coffee?”

“Yeah, that might be best.” Kyle replied.

“How do we do that? It’ll take us forever to book a flight and get all the way to River City.” Hack said.

“Don’t be stupid Hack.” Kyle scoffed.

“Jason. It’s Omega Girl.” Tone said, “She can basically do anything.”

“Well, not quite anything.” Kyle corrected. “But she can fly us back.”

“Better yet,” Lacie interjected, “I can teleport you.”

“Perfect.” Kyle said with satisfaction, “Let’s all hold hands kumbaya style.”

“And don’t worry.” Lacie said, “I can bring you back here anytime if you wish.”

The group formed a circle and all held hands, a powerful light forming around them as Lacie focused her energy. She eyed Kyle curiously as she did so, frowning a bit as he nodded ever so slightly, as if confirming something he’d been pondering. Damn, he’s a clever one. I think he knows, she thought grimly, as her Goddess powers expanded, pulling their collective life threads, shifting the where back to the location she wished.

The light faded revealing the inside of a lush, tastefully decorated home, with a skylight in the living room hallway, revealing the night sky. “Home sweet home,” Lacie sighed softly. “Be it ever so humble.” Grinning, she gestured to the kitchen. “Feel free to help yourselves. My kids stop by all the time, so we’re pretty well stocked. If you’re tired, feel free to bed down in any of the guest rooms. And, most of all, this isn’t a prison—you’re free to come and go as you please.” She yawned sleepily. “In the meantime, I bid you all good night. I’ll see you in a few hours.”

The group looked around, barely tired.

“Get some rest.” Kyle said, “You’re all adults. We need to get acclimated to this time zone.”

“I was just getting adjusted to the UK timezone too.” Hack said complaining.

“Master-erm Kyle?” Nastia said after the group had dispersed, “are you going to bed?”

“No. I won’t be able to sleep. Not for a long time.”

“Let me give you a massage. Will that help?”

“No.”

Despite his protests, Nastia got him onto a bed in the guest room and gave him a masterful massage. And despite himself, he found himself drifting off to sleep.

* * *

When Kyle awoke later, sunlight was shining through the window curtains. He yawned and stretched, finding himself in an unfamiliar room. A veritable wall of literature lined the far wall, the bookcase filled to overflowing with books. Several models lined the shelves, and hung from the ceiling like mobiles—intricate scale models of various vehicles, from cars, to planes, to spaceships. In the corner, however, what really caught his attention, was the state of the art sound system, with fully immersive surround sound beaming wirelessly to speakers embedded within the walls themselves. Next to it sat a smaller bookcase stuffed with various CDs, though several were apparently missing.

Huh. Apparently my half-brother takes his music very seriously, he thought with a grin.

The smell of food cooking soon caught his attention, signaling that someone else was awake and active outside. Noticing Nastia was gone, he wondered if perhaps she’d gone through the trouble of making him breakfast. He sighed heavily at the thought. While he appreciated he company, and companionship, and by no means regretted bringing her with him to this world, having her as his actual slave still felt wrong.

Making his way to the kitchen, he found Nastia as expected. She was NOT, however, making breakfast as he’d guessed; Lacie, his mom, was working the grill, alongside a beautiful statuesque platinum blonde woman clad in a sparkling white apron to match her blouse and cut off shorts. It took only a second to place her face, however, and he found himself feeling a turbulent amalgam of emotions at the sight of Eva Snow. The daughter of his beloved Gwen, the mother of Gwen from the other world. A thought that made his head spin when he dwelt on it for very long. She looked so much like her it was uncanny. Just as Lacie and himself looked similar. She was beautiful, instilling lust within him, but more than that, a twinge of heartbreak and love wracked his body. If his mind hadn’t been tampered with, he might have started crying. Speaking of which, he needed his head checked out. As he approached, the women glanced his way, giving him a smile.

“...trick is to whip the eggs while you’re cooking them,” Eva was saying before pausing to nod at him. “Well, speak of the devil. Looks like we woke him up.” Turning off the burners, she slid the pan aside, and wiped her hands briefly on a dishtowel. “Your friend Nastia wanted to prepare breakfast for you, but was a bit unsure on how to go about it. I take it regular food was a bit difficult to come by back where you guys are from?” She dished up two large plates of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and toast, then stood back gesturing for him to help himself.

Nastia, however, immediately began serving him food, lovingly dishing out heaps of food for him to eat.

“Nastia, stop.” Kyle sighed, and when she frowned, he acquiesced with a gesture of frivolity, “Alright.”

Nastia eagerly served him food, and when she was finished, Kyle shifted the plate over to her and began to help himself,

“That’s yours.” Kyle said, “Eat it.”

Nastia looked confused, annoyed, and then sighed, following her perceived orders and ate her breakfast. Kyle dug in as well, the smell of breakfast making his stomach rumble.

“Tone left a little earlier. She mentioned something about a photo shoot, And Jason is in the entertainment room playing Call of Duty, and snacking on Pop Tarts.” She chuckled slightly in amusement at that. “Oh, and in case you’re wondering, by the way, I did not do the cooking,” Lacie added after a moment. At the two visitors blank looks. she sighed. “Well, I guess maybe not EVERYTHING is universal then.”

“Lacie’s a notoriously bad cook,” Eva added with a grin, much to Lacie’s dismay. “So the fact that she DIDN’T make breakfast for you is actually a compliment, not a slight.”

“Thank you, Eva.” Lacie grumbled, causing the blonde to giggle in amusement. “Maybe you could go and check on Eugene down in the lab, and see if he’d ready for breakfast yet? You know that man of ours... once he gets started on a project, he’ll work himself to exhaustion unless someone shoves a plate of food in front of him or forces him to bed at night.” Eva nodded.

Eugene huh? Kyle thought.

He remembered the man. He and Eugene had worked together early in Kyle’s life, before he himself had been captured. Kyle had only been twelve then. He shuddered at the memory as Eva spoke.

“I know. I hear the same complaint from Patty and the girls all the time about Nigel. Whatever project the two of them are on, it’s certainly monopolizing their time.” Dishing out another plate of food, filling a mug of black coffee, the blonde psychic headed down the hallway towards the stairs leading to the basement. With her gone, the room went quiet for several seconds, with only the sounds of eating.

Kyle glanced over at Nastia, who had stiffened up slightly at Nigel’s name. These people were going to have to watch their tongues. He could make them do so. It would be simple enough, exert a little control with his magic-

He stopped himself. Where were his thoughts going? That was domineering and chauvinistic. Those thoughts were so foreign. What was going on in his head? He definitely needed his head checked out.

“So. How much do you know?” Lacie asked abruptly, causing Kyle to start. “Sorry. I meant, um... about everything that’s going on. And... about me?”

“You’re a Norn no doubt. Resemblance is uncanny. Present’s my educated guess. Same face, same…essence. I get a good read on people. Gwen always said it was my real super power. You and her, you’re the same. Not entirely, but the same in important ways.”

“Just as I thought.” Lacie murmured softly. “You’re so smart and so perceptive. You remind me of my other son, Jimmy.” She smiled at that. “You’d like him. I’ll have to find the time to have you and my other children meet.” Sighing softly, she gestured with her hand, and the room shimmered slightly. “Okay. Not that I’m expecting anyone to simply wander in and overhear our conversation, but I wanted to be able to speak freely. And from what you mentioned earlier about the Jabberwocky knowing so much about everything,” She shrugged. “Better safe than sorry.”

Kyle sighed, was he going to broach the subject? The Jabberwocky was pressing for sure, but family was the scarier option. Talking about family, the first true family he’d ever had, was the one that made him uneasy. And when he had a few options and one made him uneasy, and wasn’t terribly stupid or dangerous, he defaulted to the uneasy option. It would help him grow as a person, Nigel had always said.

“Well—” Kyle said, then hesitated despite himself, growling inwardly with frustration, he continued, “Well, you’re my mom. Let’s start there.”

Lacie grinned. “Well, I did say we had a lot to talk about. Let’s start with this. I am Lacie Ann Frasier nee Gilbertson,” she stated formally, “of the line of Verdandi. I am one of the Nornir, the one you referred to as ‘Present’.” She sighed heavily. “It’s a little difficult to explain. My Sisters and I... we’re the descendants and reincarnations of the three Fates from mythology that govern time itself. The robed figure that sent you here was me... but not me.”

She grunted, shaking her head. “Damn, saying it aloud, it sounds even crazier than I thought. Think of it like this. In every world, every alternate dimension, there is another Kyle, another Gwen, another Lacie, another everyone. All existing at the same point in time in a different place, all living different lives. But the people, whether good or evil, are still basically the same. In my case, the Nornir, we exist in all those separate realities at the same time. We are fully aware of our ‘other selve’s’ lives, and what they are doing. So, I’m NOT the Lacie Gilbertson that lost to Brainstorm and helped bring about your world’s destruction. I’m not the woman whose womb you came from. And yet... I have the memories of that world, that time, and those experiences locked up inside my head—those. and countless other realities that you couldn’t even begin to imagine.”

“Shit.” Kyle said, “That’s a mind ringer.”

It really was. Time and reality was a complex thing. He would have to wrap his head around it further if he was ever going to get anywhere.

“Anyway, continue. You’re a goddess.” Kyle said.

“It’s not easy being a Nornir goddess,” Lacie commented ruefully. " Even when it is of just ONE reality. Our duty is to protect the integrity of the Great Weave—or the fabric of reality itself. Unusual occurrences, paradoxes, threaten to unravel the Weave and bring about the end of the world. It’s our job to guide mankind, subtly if possible, directly if necessary, to prevent that from happening. My domain is the present, and being able to see all possible outcomes, all other versions of reality, I try and change things that will result in the best possible future.” She frowned slightly. “To that end, I really need to decide what to do about Karen.... or ‘Shatterstar’ as you know her. Having her and Ultra Girl both existing on the same plane is already an unneeded stress on reality—not so much that she needs to be eliminated immediately, but the longer she is here, and the more she interacts with people, the greater that disruption becomes.”

“Yeah that makes sense.” Kyle replied, “She’s chained up in Snow Manor when I’m ready to deal with her. I haven’t really talked with her. Only a little. I need to deal with her eventually for sure.”

He paused, thinking over Lacie’s words more, “Eliminated huh?”

The question was rhetorical, and he thought for a second more and then decided to run with the uneasy feeling, “So what about me? Tone? Hack? Nastia? What about us? Are there two of me here? Do I need to be eliminated? Will you eliminate me? If so, I wouldn’t mind going somewhere else, or honestly just dying. I’ve seen enough for a lifetime. Hell, if we need to you could give it a go right now.”

Lacie blinked, gaping at him for a moment, before sighing softly, shaking her head. “I guess I can’t really blame you for thinking of me that way. I’d imagine my counterpart wasn’t exactly ‘Mother of the Year’. But Kyle...if nothing else, I need you to understand that you are my son. You’re family. And my family is the most important thing in my life. I have other duties, other responsibilities as well,” she said, taking his hand, staring directly into his eyes, “but I would sacrifice my own life to protect the lives of my children—ANY of my children—without a second thought.”

Kyle took that in, a little flutter in his chest, a pleasant feeling of comfort washed over him. The idea itself was so foreign but not unwanted. He sighed,

“Thank you. It means a lot.” Kyle replied, “Let’s move on then. The Jabberwocky. Any thoughts on him?

“Okay. I’m not really sure what to make of this Jabberwocky you described. With his knowledge of your coming and going, the fact that you had arrived at all, and the fact that he had your world’s version of Ultra Girl in tow as a dominated mindless thrall...” She shook her head. “I’d almost believe he was likewise displaced from time, the same as you, possibly from the far future. But none of my Sisters have mentioned anything about a prominent disturbance from the future. And even without Skuld to manage her domain personally, Ethyria and the others are adept enough to notice anyone like him slipping through...”

“He seemed like the type to be able to slip through a lot of things.” Kyle said dejectedly.

“What concerns me for the moment is what he did to you and Gwen when you confronted him. He hit you with a blast of darkness that.... drained your strength, your energy. He apparently did the same to Gwen, draining her, but in her weakened state it was fatal.” She frowned, considering. “Afterwards, he demonstrated control of Gwen’s psychic powers, and when you kissed Shatterstar, you apparently absorbed and utilized her powers over heat energy. So... why do that? Why antagonize you, taunt you, make himself your enemy by killing the one you live in front of you, then give you this power, this ability to wield the powers of other Supers, making you easily a rival in power? Why make someone into an enemy then make this just as powerful as you are?”

“Villains like toys.” Nastia said, “Master Nigel was like that, even though he was a good man. His villainous side had him keep toys. Villains like to play with their food before they eat it.”

Lacie scowled, considering. “She has a point,” she conceded after a moment. “If this Jabberwocky is playing some kind of game with you, and going to such great lengths to draw you out, then there is definitely more going on here than we realize.” She sighed. “Kyle....when Eva gets back, I’d like you to let her probe your mind. Just to make sure... you’re okay?”

“I was thinking it would be necessary.” Kyle said, once again begrudgingly.

“Don’t misunderstand. I’m not going to force you or anything. It’s your choice. But the Jabberwocky DID demonstrate psychic powers of his own, and messed with your emotions when he was taunting you. Who’s to say he didn’t change anything else as well?” She sighed. “My daughter is in the hospital right now recovering from a breakdown that nearly destroyed—I kid you not—the entire world and everyone in it. Her mind had been altered, twisted, and changed, nothing major or noticeable, really, but enough that when faced with a crisis she began to spiral slowly out of control. All the while she kept thinking she could handle it, that she didn’t need help, that she could keep it together, but...” She shook her head. “Kyle, no one is going to hold you down and rummage through your mind, but I’m asking you, to please, let her help you.”

“Yeah. I know. Eva is Gwen’s daughter. She’ll be alright. I’d trust her based just off of that. I hate people messing with my head, but I know it’s necessary. I’ve been exhibiting troubling thought patterns. I need the help, I know it.” He choked a little when he said Gwen.

“You know... Eva is one of my best and closest friends, but really I know almost nothing about her mother. She never talked about her at all. Her grandmother, the one who raised her and Ana—HER Eva talks about in spades! And has nothing good to say about her at all. And it wasn’t until you appeared suddenly, tracing your threads and those of your companions, that I was able to make the connection myself!”

Lacie slid a hand across the table taking Kyle’s hand in her own, squeezing gently. “I’m very sorry about Gwen. I’m sorry that you and your friends were separated in time this way. I just... I have no idea why that other Me arranged things this way!” she said, slamming a first against the table in frustration... smashing a jagged hole straight through the heavy oak table.“Ohhhh... bloody hell,” she replied, blushing hotly in embarrassment. “Sorry. Lost my temper a little.” She groaned inwardly. “That’s the third time this year. Gene is going to kill me...”

“Here.” Kyle said, “I got it. I’ve been studying up on Norse magic. Quick repair spell. Duga

The table rapidly, and magically formed back into placed.

“Nice Master!” Nastia said.

“Shit!” Kyle exclaimed, “Nastia, it’s Kyle alright! Especially in public!”

Nastia shrunk back in despair.

Lacie chuckled ruefully, blushing slightly. “Kyle, relax, There’s no reason to be embarrassed or ashamed. As I said, I am pretty caught up on recent developments. I know that Nastia is your slave, that she has committed herself to your service. We actually talked a bit about that subject briefly before you woke up.” Her blush deepened, as she bit her lip, considering her next words carefully. “And well... sigh well, its not exactly a big secret or anything, my other kids have known for years... but, well... let’s just say that the tendencies tend to run in the family.“

Kyle gaped at her in confusion, “Wait... are you saying...”

Lacie nodded, staring fixedly at their own hands. “Yes. Eugene... is my husband and my Master. It’s a long story. Suffice it to say, I am every bit as submissive and devoted to Eugene as Nastia is to you. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Tell me honestly, do you think of me as damaged or abused?”

Kyle shook his head. “Are you kidding? You’re Omega Girl! You’re a Norn! You’re a living breathing deity!” He shook his head. “I just... I don’t understand how someone with that kind of power could submit so... so completely to someone who is just a normal man!”

“It’s partly because he’s a normal man,” Lacie replied easily. “It’s part of what makes it so enticing. Under normal circumstances I could crush my husband like a bug. I never would, of course,” she added with a grin, ‘but my point is made. I love him, Kyle, with all my heart and soul. I’d do anything for him. But most of all, I respect him. And for all my power, and strength, he is the one with the real power.”

Nastia was still shrinking back, Kyle looked at her with sorrow, he walked over to her and kissed her, “Hey its ok. It’s not your fault. We can talk later okay?”

Nastia nodded, wiping tears from her eyes, she had immediately perked up when he kissed her, he had never done that before.

“That’s definitely something to consider.” Kyle said, turning to Lacie, “I’ve never thought about it that way. If you’re okay with that…then well…I guess I’ll have to give it some thought.

Lacie nodded, the paused, frowning slightly, head tilted as if she were listening to something. Then she nodded. “Well, children, it seems that the great inventor has finally decided to take a break and stretch his legs a bit. Eva says he’ll be up in a few minutes. Maybe you’d like to say hello?” She shrugged. “If nothing else, perhaps I can convince him to do a full bioscan on you with his equipment and see if he can determine if anything is amiss after your run-in with the Jabberwocky.”

* * *

Eugene glanced up as the door opened and his wife and the visitor entered. “Ah, Lacie Ann, I was wondering when you and your young lad would be making a visit. So, laddie... let’s have a look at you, shall we?” He stood up, not the slightest bit unsteady, despite only recently having regained the use of his legs. Walking slowly around Kyle, he frowned, nodding idly, glancing at Eva, eyebrow raised. She shrugged, and glanced at Lacie, who shook her head silently. Kyle could feel the electronic devices scanning him, the lights and lasers running over his body. The feeling was an unpleasant tickling sensation. He could understand the readings somewhat, he was fine it appeared. He didn’t understand some of Gene’s personal idioms and symbolic usage, but he got the gist. What was more curious was that he had been being scanned from the beginning, threat assessments, everything. The guy was smart. Just like Gene from back home. If he was a threat, Gene would’ve set off a security protocol of some sort. If he was truly dangerous, he would have generated small black hole in the basement, killing the lot of them. Gene merely sighed and nodded softly to himself. “Okay, you seem like a fine enough lad,” he replied sitting back down.

“Yup. Glad I don’t pose a threat either. Glad. Black holes are a nasty business.”

Lacie and Evan glanced away uncomfortably, but Eugene merely shrugged. “Perceptive lad. I like that. And at any rate, it’s neither here nor there. We’re all alive and well, after all, and that’s what matters.” He sighed softly. “Suffice it to say, yer not the first ‘neighbor’ from beyond to come visiting. Years ago, Lacie and I met a rather unusual young woman named Mara. Very intelligent. Possibly immortal. Insanely powerful. And... for the record, simply insane. She had the power to alter a person’s mind in any way she wished with a simple touch. Called herself our ‘neighbor’, and had a bit of a complaint about one of my future inventions one day destroying their world. She was sent as an ambassador from her world with an ultimatum: cease and desist, or she would remain behind and cause untold chaos and destruction, spreading her madness to everyone she came into contact with.”

Lacie shuddered visibly, recalling the incident only too well. Too new to her own goddess powers, she’d let herself fall prey to the girl’s power temporarily—a demonstration of what she was capable of. Twenty years stronger, twenty years more mature, she could have torn the girl apart with a thought, sending her to any infinite possible hells from which there would be no escape. And yet... having felt her power once, she couldn’t help but fear the girl that had once had her at her mercy.

Eugene took Lacie’s outstretched hand, clenching it gently in reassurance. “Suffice it to say, I decided to honor the agreement... but I also decided to take more proactive steps in case those same ‘neighbors’ decided to pay us another visit. I wouldnae allow a plague such as that girl to spread throughout the world, even if it meant sacrificing my life to stop it.”

“Would’ve killed the lot of us.” Kyle replied, “The ladies too.”

“I wouldn’t want to live in a world without my Mas... aahh, I, uh, that is Eugene,” Eva finished weakly, glancing away as Eugene turned to glare at her. I’m sorry! It just slipped out, she thought to him. And anyway, the boy IS family... and has his own devoted slave girl upstairs in the other room waiting for us! Eugene merely sighed heavily.

“And, well,” Lacie cut in, trying to serve as a distraction for Eva’s slip-up, “it would only be the method of last resort. I’d have had first crack, then Eva... and if you were able to beat both of us, well..” she shrugged.

“To be fair, I have beaten you before.” Kyle replied, “Both of you actually.”

He pointed at Gene and Lacie, “Together. You nearly killed me. Or your other selves did. but it’s fine. We’re all one happily enslaved slash enslaver family now.”

“Again, that’s neither here nor there,” Eugene said, face still slightly red.“Anyway, as I said, before, you’re not like that other. You’re a good lad. I can tell.” His grin returned. “At any rate, lad, I am curious about one thing. Ye picked up rather quickly on what my machines were aboot. Yer like wee Megan, aye? A technopath?”

“Well, with recent events that’s in question. But yes. For now lets say that. Hack is too, but he’s more a coder and an inventor. I’m a manipulator and battler if that makes sense. If Hack was here, he could tell you everything on your databases. I can’t, I can just make that computer over there into a real life Transformer toy. I studied a lot though, and I have a pretty intrinsic understanding of what’s going on around here. I like the antigravity device.” Kyle replied, “Always wanted to experience a moon like experience without the moon.”

“Yes! You picked out a good one!”

“Can I turn it on?” Kyle asked.

“Be my guest.”

Kyle activated the device from afar as the room lost it’s gravitational pull. Kyle did a mushu flip in the air and laughed, turning off the device.

“Interesting. And that thing? What’s the stuff it’s putting out? Surely not just a glorified clothing generator.”

“Neuroweave.” Gene replied, grinning, “Strong material, practically invincible. You and yer friends can be sure to take full advantage! Makes a costume to keep you safe and fly around in style.”

“I’ll stick to my techno armor for now. Not into spandex.” Kyle said, “But the others might be interested.”

“And that computer? No fancy function for that? Just a big database. What’s it got?”

“That database contains info on every Super in existence. Detailed bio, power level.”

“Right. I hacked that and stole the info back home. You said I was only a B. I resent that.” Kyle said with a laugh.

Gene laughed too.

“I must say, I am interested in your abilities lad. Are they instinctual or did he study? Were ye trained? If so, by whom?” He sighed softly. “I need to introduce ye to Megan soon as the opportunity presents itself. I’d be interested to see a side-by-side comparison. Maybe ye can both teach each other a few new tricks.”

“I believe she was scheduled to meet with Angie over at the R&D lab later this afternoon for her part in your big ‘joint project’,” Eva added helpfully. Gene nodded, filing the information away for later.

“You know, Gene,” Lacie replied, walking over to place a hand gently on Kyle’s shoulder, “Kyle’s true power isn’t actually his technical abilities. It seems his true gift is being able to copy and use the abilities of other Supers” Gene stiffened slightly, turning to stare intently back at Kyle. “He ran afoul of some new villain calling himself the Jabberwocky,” she continued, heedless.“He hit him with some kind of black blast of darkness that knocked him unconscious, and afterwards, he was able to absorb Ultra Girl’s powers by kissing her.”

“Hmmm... I see,” Gene replied softly, frowning still, deep in thought. Turning back to his mainframe, he pulled up the bioscan he’d taken of Kyle. Hmmm. Absorbing and using the powers of other Supers... reminds me overly much of my dear departed brother Duncan. The lad.. seems like a good enough sort. And if Lacie is right, and the boy IS her son from an alternate life... I cannae imagine ANY offspring of my darling Lacie Ann being evil. It’s just.. I dinnae ken the lad! My gut tells me that the boy is fine, that he could truly be a power for good in this world like our other bairns... but my head, my logic and analytical mind cannae overlook the potential for harm he could do. Katie Ann, my lovely girl, my angel... I used to bounce her own my knee, and hold her up above my shoulders playing airplane. I never would have thought SHE would bring about the end of all things, but she nearly did.

“Well, Kyle, yer bioscan reads clear enough. There is a bit of residual energy along these areas,” he said, pointing to the monitors, “but only in trace amounts. I do note that your body temperature is rather high—107.6 degrees, actually—but cooling down slowly, returning back towards a normal 98.6. I’d estimate the residual energy and power you absorbed will be gone in about half an hour…”

“Good.” Kyle replied.

Kyle had surprised himself, he actually liked this family. They were nice. The feeling he got around them was pleasant and comforting. Lacie’s hand on his shoulder…it had felt right. That was the only way to describe it. He needed to talk to Eva now. He needed to address his mind issues right now. But he knew himself, he glanced over at the beautiful blonde, if he was in a room by himself with her, he’d either try and kiss her or break down crying.

“Eva. You need to take a look at my head.” He said, retracting his commanding tone. That was his half daughter, he should be nicer. “Well, that is, if you have the time. I’d like to talk to you as well. Me and Gwen, we never got married, but you almost…I don’t know. It’s a weird conversation. Lacie…Mom, I’d appreciate if you were there too if it’s not too much trouble.”

“Of course Kyle.” Lacie said.

“Yeah. Best to get to that now.” Eva replied, looking slightly uncomfortable at his comments.

“Let’s go upstairs.” Lacie said, and began to walk upstairs.

“Before you go lad. You should check this thing out, I haven’t named it yet.” Gene said, handing Kyle a device that looked like a watch.

Kyle studied the device, “No way!”

His face lit up with excitement, “A practically infinite source of tech for me to draw on? HELL YES! Thanks! I’ll pick a name for ya! For sure.”

Gene laughed as the younger lad ran upstairs.

* * *

“Alright.” Kyle said, “Can I lay down some background and then we can continue?”

They were sitting in the room that Kyle had slept in, Jimmy’s room apparently. Lacie and Eva were with him and they nodded.

“Alright.” Kyle said, gathering his thoughts, “The Jabberwocky attacked me. Knocked me out. When I came to, I realized my head was different. I’m more brutal, more ruthless. The Jabberwocky altered me to make me more domineering, aggressive. Like an apex predator or something. I’ve done psychic defense training, I know I need help. I wasn’t like this before. But there’s another matter to consider.”

Kyle sighed, this was where it got weird, “I want my head checked out, but as dangerous as it might be, I might not want my head altered. I dislike people messing with me head anyway, but this is more than that. This aggressiveness, this willingness to get things done no matter what the cost, it might be a good thing.”

“Oh?” Lacie asked, concerned.

“There was a couple times, back home, back in the Season of Storms. We were on missions. I was in command. Gwen was second, but she was always thankfully doing other things. Hack was always back at base, running things from afar. Just me and a few friends. Parker Albinn was there. So was a girl who could drain people’s powers, we called her Exhaust. A couple others I can’t remember right now. Parker saved my life on that one. They all died. Every single one. Trying to defeat Brainstorm. That’s happened three times I think? My whole team has died and I’ve been the only survivor. If I had made the tough decision, that time, allowed Exhaust to sacrifice herself for the group we would’ve gotten out alive. And that’s heartless in some ways, I was trying to save everyone. But you can’t do that. You just can’t.”

Kyle was crying now, and he hadn’t noticed but the two women were now sitting beside him on the bed, comforting him. He sniffled slightly, “Sorry, I’m ranting.”

Lacie handed him a tissue and he thanked her and blew his nose.

“It’s okay Kyle.” Lacie said hugging him close.

“Alright. Anyway.” Kyle said, still muffled in the hug, “Check out my head Eva.”

Eva concentrated and she explored his head. He could feel her poking around and he resisted the urge to fight back. She found a few things which surprised her, his memories of the suicide missions, Gwen and him, how she had died. And then something else as well.

“Kyle.” She said, “You’re a psychic too.”

“Really?” Kyle asked.

“You must have picked it up from Gwen.” Lacie replied.

“Guess it makes sense on how I get reads on people then huh?” Kyle replied.

“There’s more though.” Eva replied, “The Jabberwocky, the way he’s altered your thought process is very subtle. The best way I can describe it is he nudged you down a slightly different path. Unlocked your more aggressive side as you put it.”

“I don’t necessarily want you too, but can you change me back?”

“No.” Eva said, “Not right now. It would take a long time. I’ve never actually seen this done before. The Jabberwocky’s quite masterful. The change is so intricate but very subtle. I’d have to do a lot of work.”

“And we don’t have that sort of time.” Kyle said, “I need to honor that favor for Tone and I also gotta figure out this Jabberwocky guy.”

“It’s up to you.” Lacie replied, “But we’re here to support you no matter what.”

* * *

“Hey.” Kyle said sympathetically, “don’t cry.”

Kyle was the one this time to pull Bethany into a hug as they sat on the cold metal floor of their cell.

“I’m sorry. I just had no idea. And here I go around flaunting about Daddy and my problems when you’ve…oh!”

She cried more and Kyle continued to hold her.

“Hey it’s ok. They haven’t broken me. They shouldn’t break you either.”

She cried for awhile and Kyle was able to read her thoughts a little as they flooded out of her mind. She was lamenting the pain and the anguish he had felt, the difficulty of his life, and admiring his perseverance and strength. From the looks of it, Bethany was pretty down to earth and intelligent, just like he had thought when he had first met her. She acted ditzy and snobbish in public, and he was sure that it wasn’t a 100% act, but it was a pretty big one. He admired the girls mind as Bethany composed herself and sniffled,

“Sorry I don’t cry very much.”

“It’s ok. Suicide missions bring that out in people. Should I continue? We can stop.”

“No please, continue. I want to hear the whole thing.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah. I wanna hear the rest and I’m getting hungry, the story will help take food off my mind.”

“Good thought.” Kyle said as his stomach growled.