The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Decerto Terminus

by J. Darksong & Baltimore Rogers

Epilogue:

“I know, I know,” I said into the phone, flipping through the heavy leather-bound notebook in front of me as my door opened once more. I waved to Nigel to come right in, listening to my lawyer’s voice with irritation. “Aye, I ken what the bloody thing says, Darryl, I bloody well dictated it to you, remember? As of now, I want Protocol Twenty-three dispelled. Remove it completely. The bloody thing is set to go active in three hours, and I dinnae want that to happen!” He sighed deeply, shaking his head. “Look. I dinnae care about the legal ramifications, I need that Protocol abolished. Now!” Grumbling softly, I hung up the phone.

“Back to work already, and you haven’t even been discharged yet?” Nigel quipped, making his way to the side of my bed. “I have to say, I admire your work ethic. So... what’s ‘Protocol Twenty-three’?”

I sat back in the bed, closing the heavy book in front of me. “Good to see you again, lad. I was hoping you’d stop by again before you headed back to River City. As to the conversation with my lawyer just now... let’s just say that you’re not the ONLY crusty old bastard around here that’s paranoid. A few months ago when I decided that it was going to take the fight to my brother, I decided to make some arrangements, just in case the worst happened. I set up a series of protocols to be enacted on the event of my death, to handle the distribution of my money, my businesses, and my estate... among other things.” I glanced away. “One of those protocols was a way of controlling access to my technology, to make sure that it didn’t fall into the wrong hands... and taking care of some of the ones that already have.”

Grimalde frowned slightly. “Controlling access? Wait, what exactly are you talking about, here? What does this protocol of yours do?”

“It sets in motion a two-pronged attack that transmits a verra specific code throughout every worldwide online and communication system that deactivates every piece of potentially harmful Frasier technology currently in use while simultaneously erasing all pertinent information, files, and schematics containing my designs.” Nigel glanced sharply at me, but i simply shrugged back. “Aye. Including the prototype stun blaster I gave you. I purposely design all my weapons with a flawed circuit design that can be hacked with a specific multiphasic code sequence. So, yes, I did ‘play you’, so to speak. But if ye recall, we were still adversaries at the time, enemies under a white flag of truce, not actual allies.”

“Oh? As opposed to now? Do I look like some kind of mook to you, Frasier?” Nigel shot back, more than a little upset. “You’re basically admitting that trust I placed in you, the very deal that we brokered that lead to our two families burying the hatchet... was all based on a lie?”

“Err, well, not a lie, specifically,” I murmured, reddening slightly. “The gun is a sound investment, and as viable as anything else I’ve ever designed. But look at it from MY point of view. Just as you wanted assurances that I would not use the serum you gave me against you and yours, I wanted an assurance that if anything happened to me, you wouldn’t suddenly decide to mass produce a weapon that copies Lacie’s Omega Beam energy and use them on MY friends. It was... insurance.”

“Yes, but in my case, I did what any square dealing negotiator would do and ASKED you for reassurance. You basically booby-trapped your trade goods. You know, back then I made that ‘Al Capone’ comment just to annoy you. I guess I was closer to the mark than I thought.”

“Please, Nigel. Protocol Twenty-three was not specifically directed at you.”

“Oh, well. That makes me feel better. ‘I wasn’t just screwing you, Grimalde. I was screwing everybody.’ What the f—“

“NO! Listen to me, man! I had no intention of poisoning the well with you at all. And did ye nae hear me disabling the blasted protocol when ye came in? Look,. I’m still dealing with the government demanding all my files on the weapons contracted to the military through Frasier Industries during the restructuring. They’re trying to take EVERYTHING, not just what I’ve supplied them with over the years. And if I was about to meet my end, I figured I might as well give the military the finger from beyond the grave and take my technology with me.“

Nigel sighed, shaking his head ruefully. “All right. In that light, I suppose I can’t really blame you... Damn! You really ARE every bit as paranoid as I am. I never would have believed it until now. But I swear from now on I’m going to check your hand for a joy buzzer before shaking it.”

I chuckled at that. “What was that old saying? ‘It’s not paranoia if they really ARE trying to get ye’, eh? Still, I do feel bad about deceiving ye like that. So, Let me offer ye a little something to make up for it. Consider it a peace offering of sorts.” I gestured to the briefcase by my bed. “Could ye be a lad a hand my that case?”

“You think another little ‘toy’ will make of for it?” Nigel asked, frowning as he retrieved the case. “It’ll have to be one hell of a toy.”

“Ach, well,” I said quietly, unlocking it, taking out the contents, a small black plastic square, an external hard drive, handing it over to him, “I’ll leave that up to you to decide.”

“Okay. My curiosity’s piqued now. What’s on it?”

“That drive contains the sum total of my brother’s genetic research.” Nigel’s eyes widened in surprise. “I managed to download the contents on his mainframe before I blew up his lab. It’s at least fifty years worth of dedicated research into the human genome and physiology. It seemed a shame to simply lose all that knowledge, even if the source of said knowledge was unimaginable suffering and torment. If nothing else, it could be used to benefit mankind instead of used to enslave them.” I paused a moment to consider my words. “I’m turning this over to you Nigel... because despite your past, despite your own dim view of yourself, you’re a man of character, with the knowledge, resources, and conscience to not abuse this information. Just like the technology involving my nanites, this represents the ability to do a lot of good... or unspeakable evil.” I gave him a wry grin. “So... I’m showing you with actions rather than words that I do trust you now.”

Nigel stood there several long moments, speechless, simply holding the hard drive. “This doesn’t totally clear you for false dealing. I take shit like that very seriously, Eugene. But I will say that it’s a good start.” He chuckled softly. “Frasier... you never cease to surprise me. Just when I begin to think I have you figured out, you do something completely unexpected. You know that when I give this to Angela, she’s going to squeal and dance like a kid who really did get a pony for Christmas.“

“Well, if ye like that, laddie,” I replied smirking, “then hold on to yer socks, they’re about to be knocked off.” I pulled the final items from my case, then frowned, glancing at the door. “Um... is your wee Patty girl outside in the hallway?”

“Yes, of course. She and Lacie were as thick as thieves when I left them. Why do you ask?”

I grimaced slightly. “Because I’d prefer her NOT come charging in to skewer me seconds after I make my offer. I’m trusting ye to hold her at bay... even if ye have to ORDER her not to kill me.” I held out a large heavy silver bracelet, and a carefully crafted silver Timex watch. “if these look familiar, it’s because they’re identical to the ones I usually wear. They are the control interface system for my nanosuit, the Armor that I always wear, that reacts instantly to any danger of threats perceived.” I looked him square in the eye. “If it’s not abundantly clear, I’m retiring too. Even had I come through the fight unscathed, I never planned on wearing it again. I’ll no longer be Armor Man, but that does nae mean that Armor Man must vanish. Nigel, it’s yers if you want it. Well, as long as ye don’t rename yourself something silly like the ‘Steel Angel’ or such.”

Nigel gaped at me for a long moment, as if he couldn’t accept the evidence of his senses. “I don’t believe it,” he said a moment later, to my amusement. “You’re... giving this up? To me? Why? I mean... after going through all the trouble to safeguard your technology to the point of setting up self-destruct protocols after you die, you simply hand over your greatest invention to your rival without a fuss?”

“Of course I’d never give this to a rival, lad! I’d like to believe I’m giving it to a friend,” I insisted, which strangely seemed to shock him more. Ach... what was with this guy? Ye’d think he’d never had a friend before. “At least, I see ye as such. The only reason I’m nae lying here handcuffed to the bed while I recover is the press conference you and Patricia held on my behalf. And I heard about what happened back home, and how you, ah, helped my daughter.” I sighed, my chest tightening slightly. “Lad... you’ve been more of a father to the girl than I’ve been.“

I sighed softly, remembering all too well the conversation with Katie when she came to visit me the other day.

* * *

“‘Duncan Frasier sends his regards’.”

“What?” I said, jerking up in bed to find my daughter standing in the doorway of my hospital room. “Katie, lass... you’re here. What was that you just said?”

“I said, ‘Duncan Frasier sends his regards’.” She stepped into the room, staring at me, her face utterly expressionless. My Katie had always seemed so carefree, so open with both joy and sadness; It stunned me to see such a... hard look to her. “Those were the words a man named Sureshot spoke just before he popped up and tried to put a bullet through my heart. Only, he missed and put one through Jessica’s instead.”

Jessica. Aye, I’d heard only hours before of what had happened in River City during my absence. “Katie, lass,” I began, “I’m verra sorry about wee Jess. I ken this must be difficult for you—”

“DIFFICULT for me?” she’d shouted back. “Dad... my girlfriend, my lover, my best friend DIED in front of my eyes while I stood there helpless. You’re goddamn right it’s fucking DIFFICULT for me!”

“Katherine Ann!” I snapped back sharply. But my rebuke was cut short by hers.

“NO! DAD!” she shouted right back. “You don’t get to lecture me today. You don’t get to play the disapproving father. But I do have a question for you: why didn’t you tell me that someone was trying to kill me?” I stiffened, a chill going down my back at her words. “You left to go hunt your brother Duncan, and left word with mom, Uncle Parker, Aunt Eva... even with Nigel Grimalde and his family. You warned all of them about the kind of person Duncan was, told them to be on their guard... but you never thought to warn your own CHILDREN?”

I went pale at the implication. She blamed me for Jessica’s death. And... rightly so, I now realized. “Katie, lass,” I said softly. “I’m sorry. I hid this from you and your brother to try and protect you—”

“Yes, well, fat lot of good that did,” Katie snarked back, her fury showing all too clearly now.

“I didn’t want you and Jimmy living in fear all this time,” I tried to explain. “I thought I could handle this on my own. I thought you and Jimmy didn’t need to know, that worrying about something ye had no control over would only add undue stress to your lives. I wanted ye both to feel free to simply enjoy your youth... to let me clean up the mistakes of my past without it coming back to haunt ye.”

“But you DIDN’T clean it up, did you, Dad?” she challenged. “You went off and have your fight with Duncan, killed him—which, of course, is something you would have NEVER condoned in anyone else, cold blooded murder—”

“NO!” I shouted, startling her. “Ye go too far now, lass. I killed the bastard to save yer mother’s life! I’ll NOT stomach ye calling me a murderer for THAT!”

“Okay, okay,” she said, but softened only a mite, “but, even so, you left us unprepared for what was coming.” She shook her head sadly. “I can see why you weren’t too concerned about me though, I suppose. I’m ‘Lady Luck’, right? Untouchable, invincible, no assassin can kill the Daddy’s little girl, so why bother to look out for her. But you still could have warned me. I could have kept Jessica away from me until this whole thing was over!“

“Katie, no,” I protested. “That’s not it at all! I had people watching out for you—for all of you!”

“Well, where were they when I needed them, Dad?” she countered, angrily. “Where was the help? Where was MOM in all of this?” She sighed, shaking her head, before turning to stare at me, expression black and empty again. “She was with you, Dad. Saving you. Both you and Jessica were killed that night, but mom chose to go to you... to use her magic to save YOUR life.” She turned and walked back towards the door.

“I’m glad you’re still alive, Dad. You’re my father. And I love you. But it’s not fair that YOU get to walk around, still alive, and Jessica doesn’t. This didn’t have to happen.” She paused at the doorway. “You always try and control everything. You think you always know what’s best. But you don’t. When all’s said and done, you’re human just like the rest of us. And sometimes, even YOU get it wrong.”

* * *

I let out a deep shaky breath. I’d screwed up. Badly. And she was right. This whole mess was because of my incessant desire to try and control everything around me. I was smart. I was experienced. But I was hardly omniscient. And my arrogance had cost the lives of more than one innocent person.

“Hey. Eugene?” Nigel prompted me, hand on my shoulder, pulling me back into the present. “Are you okay?”

“Yes, yes,” I waved him off, “just thinking about something my daughter said.”

The look on Nigel’s face said it all. He knew that I had been hurt in a way that only yer own blood kin can hurt you.

But I couldnae deal with that now. it was time to soldier on. “So, anyway, aye... we’re friends and I want you to have this. And at any rate, what would I do with the armor anyway? Omega Girl certainly wouldn’t need it, and it’s not as if my son or daughter need it either. Or could even use it for that matter—it’s designed to interact with the physiology of non-Supers. That being the case... ye were a natural choice. It’s yours if you want it. Or not. I dinnae really care. I’m done playing the hero.”

“Eugene,” said Nigel, pausing to choose his words carefully, “This is too much. I don’t know what Katherine said to you, but I think you are overreacting. As for me, I don’t want this... Well, I do... a small part of me does... but not like this... not this way. I don’t... I can’t,” he took a deep breath, clearly unaccustomed to being at a loss for words. “This is wrong, Eugene. If you want to retire, then fine, retire. But do it right. Don’t hand something like this to another guy just like you! If you’re looking for a replacement, then find a REAL replacement. Find someone else... someone young, and fresh, and full of spunk and vigor and high ideals. Find him... her... whatever, and teach ’em, and groom ’em. It’s a lot more work than just handing it to the first guy who walks in the door, but in the end you’ll know that you did it right. That you’ve handed over this awesome responsibility in a way that you can be proud of. Find someone who can wear the mantle of ‘Armor Man’ for the next generation. Surely you can find SOMEONE like that, rather than some jaded old arthritic businessman who would rather watch from the sidelines. I don’t want to be your successor; I want to be your friend.“

“Och, Nigel,” I shook my head sadly, “I should never have tried to saddle ye with this burden.”

“It’s not a burden, Eugene,” he said, “Can’t you see though that the next person to wear your armor deserves to be a person who wants to make a long and noble career out of it? Tell me you can see that.“

“Yer right, Nigel,” I said, “I do nae find myself in a position to say that to others verra often. Somehow, though, I feel that I should get used to saying it to you.”

He laughed. I laughed with him. It was nice.

“You’re just a little bit off your game, old man,” he said lightly, “After spending four hours without a beating heart in your chest, I think maybe you’ve earned a misstep or two.”

I chuckled again, shaking my head, drunk once again with the sheer joy of being alive after all hope had been lost. Then I thought more soberly about what he had said. At length, as the silence was beginning to grow a mite awkward, I responded, “I’ll give yer, ah, suggestion all due consideration. An apprentice... a student... what an idea!”

* * *

“Well, they seem to be getting along fairly well,” Lacie commented, gesturing at the doorway to Eugene’s private room. “Not that it should be that surprising, I suppose. The two of them are so much alike.”

“Really? You think so?” Patricia asked, handing her a soda from the machine down the hall.

“Thanks,” Lacie said with a small smile, nodding. “And yes. They are definitely cut from the same cloth, your husband and mine.” She grinned. “I expect it’s only a matter of time before Eugene breaks out the chess board and challenges him to ‘do battle’.”

Both women laugh at that. Despite a rocky start, and all that passed between them over the years, they were connecting again, becoming friends just as they almost had once before, before Argentum... before Darkstar... before Satore. For Lacie, it’s almost as if the past twenty five years had never happened. For Patty, it’s like meeting up with an older cousin she hadn’t seen in ages. And even the animosity they’d once showed one another was forgotten in the face of what they’d both recently endured.

Suddenly though Lacie gets a far-away, melancholy look on her eyes.

“Lacie, what’s wrong?” says Patricia.

“I... I just don’t... How do you handle it, Patricia?” Lacie pleads.

“Hmm? You mean not having powers?” she sighed softly. “It’s not that bad. Of course, I gave mine up voluntarily. All of us Tearbearers ultimately do. You get used to it in time.”

“No! No. Not that. How do you handle, um, Nigel, err, aging?” she said helplessly. “Eugene... he just seems so small now. So frail. So weak.” She couldn’t stop herself from shaking, and her hands were clenched so tightly her knuckles were white. “I can’t bear the idea that he’s getting older, that he’s going to be... that one day... that... that... Oh Goddess! I can’t even say it!”

“Lacie,” Patricia murmured softly, moving over to hold her hand, preparing to comfort her.

“He’s going to DIE, Patty,” she managed, looking at the younger woman though blurred vision, tears welling in her eyes. “Not today, not now. But soon... soon, too soon. My Master is going to leave me all alone, and there is nothing I can do to stop it! I used up my one shot, and all it did was... was delay the inevitable.” Lacie fights with all her will to hold back the tears, but they are stronger than she is, and they begin to flow freely down her face as she breaks down.

“Well,” replied Patricia, leaning forward to touch her friend, forehead to forehead, her own voice cracking up, “you... you want to know how I ‘handle it’? I obviously... I don’t ‘handle it’ very well at all, Lacie.” Her lip trembled, and her own eyes were wet with unshed tears. “I went to war with Eugene... I nearly wrecked everything... I mean everything... just because I thought I had to protect Nigel,” she laughs softly but cruelly at her own foolishness. “I didn’t realize what was at stake... but... I can honestly say I wouldn’t have cared even had I known. I... I just... I would have done anything to protect him... legal or not, right or wrong... anything to keep him safe.” Lacie nods softly, holding her, bonding in their shared pain.

“The worst part is... it was all for nothing, anyway,” she paused, wiping her welling eyes, looking into Lacie’s, and continued after a moment. “Turning on Eugene only put Nigel... all of us, in more danger, not less! Duncan blew up our home... nearly killed Nigel... nearly...” The words wouldn’t come. Then suddenly they burst forth on a flood. “Oh god... I nearly destroyed everything... out of spite!” She laughed, softly, bitterly. “You’re asking me how to ‘handle it’, Lacie? I would have to say that nearly causing the end of civilization because you’re trying to protect your husband from himself is just about the definition of the worst possible way to ‘handle it’.” Patricia’s chuckle catches in her throat and comes out as a sob. She’s openly crying now. For both of them. For all four of them.

* * *

From further down the hallway, Angela, Eva, and Constance share a moment of silence, their own thoughts running along the same lines. Wiping a tear from her eye, Angela opens her purse, removing her tablet. “That tears it,” she said, sniffling softly. “I’m not doing this again. I’m not.”

Eva frowned, glancing over at her new friend. “What do you mean? And what do you have there?”

“I can’t just sit by and watch someone else just… waste away, while his loved ones stand by helpless. This,” she said wiping her eyes, “is some... research I’ve been working on for the past two years. Secret research, off the books. It’s a skunk works project; Nigel doesn’t know about it.” She glanced meaningfully at Constance, who merely sighed and nodded. “It’s... it’s for Nigel. He’s... well... he’s aging early and badly. Bad genes, you might say. I’ve been working all this time to try and find a way to... a way to turn back the clock a bit. Something that would prolong his life.”

“Searching for the fountain of youth?” Eva replied solemnly. “A grand idea... but, Angie... there’s no way to stop death. Eventually, all of us will grow old and die.”

“True,” she admitted, “but maybe I can postpone it for a few more decades. I’m close, Eva... really, really close, and after seeing what Duncan Frasier was able to accomplish with his own genetic augmentations, I know I’m on the right track, but I’ve hit a wall. It could make things better for him… for BOTH of them.” She sighed deeply.“I just wish I could have gotten a look at some of his research.“

Connie and Eva exchanged a knowing glance with each other, but they kept their lips sealed. From long experience both knew that both Angela and Nigel would be happier if the psychics didn’t spoil Nigel’s surprise.

* * *

Reaching over to the small wheeled cart beside my bed, I gestured. “So, Nigel... do you play?”

“Chess?” he replied, musing. “Yes. It’s been a while since I’ve had a good game... sure, why not? But I’ll warn you, I cheat!”

“Then you’re a fool,” said Eugene, wondering what the man could be playing at, “Only a child would fail to notice a change in the board!”

“Well,” said Nigel, an evil grin creasing his face, “It’s not really cheating. But when you see my end game, you’ll think I must have cheated. It’s only out of kindness that I admit to cheating, to help you save your pride.”

“Ach, those are fightin’ words, Grimalde. I’ll thrash ye to a bloody pulp. Make sure you keep both yer bishops; ye’ll need ’em t’ pray over yer remains!”

Moving the board between us, I let him go first, then followed up myself. Twelve moves in I had to admit, he wasn’t bad. “You’re worried, aren’t you?” he said suddenly.

“About my rook? Nae... I’m willing to sacrifice it if need be. Believe it or not, I have a game plan.”

“No, not about the game... at least not in and of itself.” He looked at me candidly. “Your doctor wanted you to play, didn’t she?” My face must have clouded up. Nigel nodded, tight-lipped. “As I thought. Four hours. You were out of it for four hours, kept alive somehow through her powers without a beating heart in your chest and for however many minutes until Lacie brought you here. They’re worried about brain damage.”

There it was. The elephant in the room, the unnamed fear that I’d tried to hold at bay, to keep hidden from everyone, including myself. My mother, God bless her soul, had suffered from Alzheimer’s late in life, losing her memories, and herself, before she finally lost her life. I wasn’t much, myself. All I really had was my intellect, my keen mind. And the thought of losing that, of ending up like my mother, lost in a tangled sea of my own fading memories... it terrified me. At the end, saving Lacie from Duncan, I hadn’t cared about burning out my brain and my nervous system to stop my brother. I was dead anyway. But now, still alive, and forced to live at least a couple more years in this damaged shell of a body...

“Your bishop is in danger,” I said aloud, ignoring his unspoken question as I moved up my knight. Simply nodding, somehow reading more from my simple statement that I could have possibly explained, he simply let the matter drop.

During the lull in the conversation, and wanting to change the subject, I broached a subject that had me curious.

“By the way, Grimalde,” I began, moving my other knight forward, “I’ve been wondering for a while now, for decades really. About your, ah, Angels... ye ken... the Tearbearers...”

“Hmm?” he asked, repositioning his queen’s bishop, protecting his front line.

“I was just wondering... why you never used them in your past misdeeds of criminal activity.” He paused, his hand hovering above his queen. “Aye, I ken, ye’ve turned over a new leaf and all, and the past is the past... I was just curious why you never tried to do more?” I shrugged. “Angela and Patty... and yer new girls, Sioban and Tawyna, yer ‘Ebony and Ivory’. They’re not the most powerful Supers around, true, but augmented with some of your technological expertise, and your intellect to guide them, they could be a force to be reckoned with. Ye could have turned them into yer very own supervillain slaves, and yet you dinnae do it. I’m just curious as to why.”

Nigel’s hand dropped away, and he sat back in his chair, looking thoughtful. The silence between us lengthened, and I began to worry that maybe I’d crossed some kind of line by asking. “Er, not that yer beholden to me to answer if ye dinnae wish to,” I said lightly. “Just making conversation is all.”

“Eugene, it involves... magic.” He said the word as if it left a dirty taste in his mouth. Well did I understand that feeling. He continued, “A hard-headed practical engineer such as yourself would never believe me.” he said after a moment.

“Lad, my wife kept me alive for four hours without a heart, mind ye, using what can only be classed as ‘magic’. I might nae be so skeptical as ye believe. Try me.“

“Okay,” he began, reaching for, and bringing his queen into play, “do you know much about Norse mythology?”

I froze, tensing up slightly at his words, suddenly on the defensive, “Aye, I’ve picked up a bit hither and yon. What of it?”

Nigel, frowned slightly, clearly not understanding my sudden hostility, but he plowed on, “Well, to explain the situation I was in, I have to tell you about Norns, and Valkyries, and a place that’s not exactly a place called Yggdrasil.” He sighed, shaking his head. “You’ll never believe me. I almost don’t believe myself. Just... just bear with me.”

Ye could have knocked me over with a feather, and not just because of the pain killers they had me on. I almost called out t’ Lacie, to have her come in and hear this. But I thought better of it. I didnae want to spook the man.

“So, anyway,” Nigel continued, “back in ancient times, the Goddesses of Fate and Destiny, the Norns, put together a team of magical servants. They anointed a group of nine young mortal girls, granting them freedom, magic, immortality, and the ability to fly, among other things, to serve as the Norns’ hands on Earth. They called them ‘Valkyries’. The word means something like ‘Death Bringer’ or ‘Death Chooser’ in the Norns’ ancient language, but the transformed women didn’t find that out for years. Forget the fables or stories you might have read, or what you’ve seen in the movies. The Valkyries served the Norns directly, bound to their will, intervening in matters they deemed important, for the benefit of all. At least, that was the way of it in the beginning. Over time, the Norns began using their servants more and more as mass assassins, using them to deal with more of the dirtiest of deeds that the Norns performed to keep the world in balance.”

I nodded, fascinated by this tale. It seemed strange, yet I could easily see the truth in it. The Norns, if the elder ones were any resemblance to the ones from our era, were certainly divine, but hardly omniscient. Indeed, my own wife had managed to pluck me out of death’s verra grasp, yet she herself was as fragile and human as the next person. It wasnae inconceivable that the ancient Norns had become complacent and abused their authority over their servants.

“You have to imagine it from the Valkyries’ point of view,” Nigel continued. “They were sent out as agents to perform the most gruesome tasks, slaying and killing, sowing seeds of war, famine, pestilence, even wholesale slaughter, all at the commands of Goddesses that never deigned to explain their horrific orders. And without a vision of the Norns’ ‘grand design’, over the centuries the Valkyries grew despondent, disgusted by the evils they were forced to commit at the seemingly arbitrary whims of their Mistresses. They were geas-bound to obey, yet as agents of the Goddesses they served, their ‘life threads’ were more or less immutable; they were as untouchable as the Goddesses were to one another. That gave them a bit of a loophole... a way to escape their bloody-handed fate: they could choose to end their own lives.”

“WHAT?!?” I exclaimed, sitting up, nearly knocking over the chessboard. “Ye mean... they... they...”

“Killed themselves?” Nigel replied grimly. “Yes. Precisely. They formed a suicide pact, and even agreed to a time and place for the grizzly deed. In some sort of ironic mockery to their Mistresses, each agreed to use her Goddess-given magic to off herself in some spectacular way. One burned herself into ash and blew away in the wind. One turned herself into a fog and settled into the ground. One flew up into the sky, out of the atmosphere, ‘higher than the heavens themselves, disappearing among the stars’, or so goes the story. And the others too. All chose spectacular and, well, to their minds, artistic ways of meeting their ends. At the end the final Valkyrie turned herself to stone. But... and this is part of the story that matters to us... as she changed, in her sorrow and grief she cried two tears. The tears changed into amber crystals as her face turned to stone. The gems contained the last of her magic.”

“Amber tears,” I murmured softly. “Hence the title, Tearbearers. And let me guess... some peasant girls eventually came upon the stone statue, saw the glittering crystals and claimed them, becoming the first Tearbearers?“

“Pretty much. That last Valkyrie planted herself among a wandering herd of sheep, so the woman who was shepherding them couldn’t really miss her, a stone statue where none had stood before. The amber jewels, the ‘Tears of the Valkyrie’ glittered in the sun. Touching that first tear caused the magic gem to sink into the girl’s hands, melding with her, imparting a measure of that last Valkyrie’s powers and strength, and even her memories. She was the first Tearbearer. Touching the second tear gave the girl a yearning to find a partner to bear it; that partner became the second Tearbearer. That’s how I know this story, Eugene. I’m telling you what my girls told me, direct from the last Valkyrie’s own memories. There were some very important differences between Tearbearers and actual Valkyries, however. For one, the Tear Bearers were NOT bound to the Norns. In fact the Norns don’t even know they exist. They could come and go as they pleased, acting on their own will instead of being commanded from on high. Secondly, the Tears imparted knowledge, the wisdom and experiences of that last Valkyrie, but not ALL of her magic. Third, the Bearers were not immortal. They aged slowly, and healed rapidly from most injuries. Hence my 41 year-old wife still looks to be in her mid-twenties.”

We heard a gasp from outside the door. Patricia, exercising that ineffable wife-telepathy that allows her to simply know when her husband is doing something wrong, had just, without paying attention to any of the rest of his conversation, overheard Nigel reveal her age. He winced as he realized. Clearly she would find a way to make him suffer for that little revelation, even though we had all known her since she was a teenager and were competent to do simple arithmetic. But I smiled. I still didn’t quite understand how it worked, but I knew they were well and truly in love.

Nigel continued. “But, again, unlike the Valkyries, the Tearbearers were not truly immortal. They did age, albeit slowly. And they could be killed. Which leads to the last difference, the real kicker, the answer to your question. A Bearer could hold a Tear and wield its powers as long as they wished it, and as long as they proved themselves ‘worthy’,” Nigel actually made air-quotes, “choosing to use those powers ‘for good and not for evil’,” air-quotes again. This onus that the magic put on the Tearbearers was clearly a bit of an annoyance to Grimalde, “If a Tearbearer dies, or becomes corrupted, or just simply decides that she doesn’t want to do it anymore, the Tear leaves her. The freed Tear appears in the hand of the other Tearbearer, and the magic gives the remaining one an overwhelming compulsion to find a new partner. In the rare case of both dying simultaneously, the Tears simply appear to the closest pair of young females that the magic somehow deems worthy of its power.”

I nodded slowly, taking this all in. I was shocked again by this man’s machinations, but I knew that I must tread lightly. “So, in other words,” I said softly, “the reason ye didnae turn yer girls into supervillains is because ye couldnae. The Tears would have abandoned them, finding someone else, leaving yon girls powerless. Leaving them as heroes was more of a selfish action, than a noble one.”

“Yes, Eugene,” Nigel Grimalde said as he looked me in the eye, sad but unrepentant, “I’ve been a bad, bad man. As much as I would like to be your friend, you would do well not to forget that.”

The only way to respond to that confession was to ignore it. I’d already said my piece about what a ‘bad and evil’ man he was. He’d have to come to terms with his own inner demons on his own time. Fortunately I had a useful distraction at hand. I moved my rook forward, taking his knight. “You’re in check, by the way.”

“Yes,” Nigel mused, “So I am.” Chuckling softly, he tilted his king over, removing it from the board. “I resign, Eugene. You have mate in 4. You should have called it when you checked me. sigh You were right,” he smiled, “I should have saved my bishops.“

“In this game, aye,” I said in good grace, taking and shaking his offered hand, “but you’re a worthy match for me, Nigel. Given enough time to learn how I think, I’m sure you’ll beat me.” Now it was my turn to grow silent. To pause. To consider. Everything he had just revealed threw the knowledge I had of Lacie’s ‘other family’ into serious question. We all needed to sit down together sometime soon and talk... Ach! Which reminds me...

“Ye ken, lad, there is yet a small feide that we have to settle between us,” I said carefully, pushing aside the chess board, giving him my most serious frown, “There’s the little matter of your wife’s actions following our dealings at your office.”

Nigel stiffened, going very still. “Yes, well, that was a mistake... my mistake,” he said neutrally, trying to read my expression. “One that I handled immediately after I realized what she had done. Trust me when I say that it will not happen again.”

“That may verra well be,” I drolled, idly stroking the grey hairs along my chin, “but that doesnae quite make up for the slight, now does it? We had an understanding, you and I. We had an accord. Ye even called upon me to ‘remember afterward’ that yer house didnae attack mine while Duncan was on the loose. But yer house DID attack mine. And young Patty’s indiscretion is, at least in part, directly responsible for my current condition, would ye nae agree?”

Sighing deeply, settling back into his chair, Nigel nonetheless met my gaze and stared back hard. “I would. So... how do you propose we settle this then? I’m prepared to take whatever retribution you care to dish out... with the stipulation that it be directed solely at me, not at Patricia nor at anyone else in my family. It was really my mistake anyway. I selfishly didn’t want to be placed in a position where I would have to break my vow never to give her an order. So I left her in an information vacuum, and her fears filled in the gaps in the worst possible way. It was really just my stubbornness, my pride, not facing up to my true responsibilities. If I had told her everything and then ordered her to trust me, she would have. She would have left it alone. So you see, it really is all my fault. Leave Patricia out of it. Please.”

Aye... definitely a man after my own heart. I was right to believe I could trust this man after all.

“No dice, Grimalde,” I said lightly, finally dropping my serious face. “I’m afraid you AND Patty both will have to pay for that betrayal. And unfortunately for ye both, I ken just the way to punish ye.” I grinned manically, rubbing my hands together in wicked glee. “As soon as Dr. Raine releases me and sends me back home, you, Patty, Angela, and the rest of yer family are joining Lacie and me at our home for dinner!”

Nigel blinked, caught completely off guard. “Wait... dinner? Your retribution... is inviting us all to dinner at your home?”

“Exactly,” I said with a laugh. “And my lovely wife Lacie will be cooking said dinner, so if ye havenae drawn up yer last will and testament, I suggest to notify your lawyer as soon as ye leave here today.”

Nigel, chuckled, finally getting the joke, “Really? Is her cooking that bad?”

“Laddie, ye have no idea,” I replied mock-morbidly.

“HEY!” a female shout sounded from outside in the hallway. “We can HEAR you out here, you know?”

Nigel and I both laughed heartily at that... and within a few seconds, heard the responding laughter from outside as well. Good. I’d hoped to lighten all our moods a bit. “I love ye, Lacie girl,” I said loudly, “but ye ken ’s truth. Yer a lovely, smart, and beautiful lass... but if it were possible, ye’d burn water.”

“Oh, god,” Nigel laughed heartily, shaking his head. “I think I’ve changed my mind. Come up with something else... or just punish Patricia alone. My digestive tract is far too sensitive for any major traumas right now.”

“HEY! That’s not fair!” Patty’s voice called out from the hallway this time, prompting another round of laughter.

“Well, at any rate, laddie, I’d best let you go. You’ve a long trip back ahead of you, and I do believe Nurse Annette is scheduled to come by any time now for my sponge bath.” I chuckled ruefully. “I have to admit, being at the Midas Touch isn’t ALL bad. They do know how to treat their patients well, even the male ones.”

“Eh?” Nigel asked, somewhat confused, not getting the joke. “What do you mean?”

“Never mind, I’ll explain later.” I took his hand, shaking it firmly. “We’ll talk again soon. But perhaps, if it’s not too much trouble, you might do me a favor?”

“If I can. What do you need?”

“My son. Jimmy,” I said softly. “He’s been missing for several days now. Normally, it’s not overly a matter of concern, as he’d old enough and more than capable of looking after himself... but with Duncan’s machinations and the earlier attempts on his life, I’m concerned. I had people watching over him, as well as the rest of you while I was away—my own private security detail, trained in staying hidden and unobserved in the background. They reported in shortly after intercepting Duncan’s hit man, saying all was well, but then an hour later the called back to say they, and Jimmy, had been ambushed by another unknown group of Supers. No one has seen or heard from him since.”

That got Nigel’s attention. “Do you have any leads? Any pertinent information?”

“The only thing my agent said of any value was a name, mentioned by one of them before they took off: Serpentina.”

Nigel nodded grimly, his mind already racing. “Yes. I know the name. Gene, I’ll do what I can to help. Don’t worry. I’ll handle it.”

* * *

Lacie let out a deep sigh as she retrieved her soda from the vending machine. She felt exhausted, still, even after nearly a week. No. Not exhausted, really. Just weak. Weak and helpless... compared to the way I used to feel, anyway. She glanced up as the door to Eugene’s room opened and Nigel Grimalde walked out. “Oh, NIgel. I thought you and the girls had already left. Is everything okay?“

“Yes, yes, he’s still doing fine,” he replied with a smile. “Just a little tired. As we all are. And I’m just about to head to the airport now, I just had a few more questions about... something important,” he replied, recalling the hard drive tucked away in his pocket, “and wanted to ask him about it before leaving.” He tapped the jacket pocket housing the hard drive Eugene had given him thoughtfully. “Don’t worry too much, Lacie,” he said after a moment. “He’s strong, a definite fighter. He’ll be back up on his feet in no time. Trust me on that.”

“Thanks,” she replied, leaning in to hug him gently, forcing a smile. “I hope you’re right.”

“I am. He made me a promise after all,” he said, his eyes crinkling slightly in humor. “He promised me the most agonizing death imaginable at your delicate hands... your ‘meatloaf surprise’ I think he called it? And he promised he would be there in person while Patty and I ate it, remember?”

Lacie blinked, taken by surprise, before breaking out into rueful laughter. “Hehe... fine, fine... you and Eugene think you’re both hilarious. You’re just lucky I don’t have my powers.” She sighed, trying to keep her tone light, though the sadness managed to seep through noticeably. “Anyway,” she said, pushing the morbid feelings away, “I wish you all well. Have a safe flight back to River City.”

“Lacie,” said Nigel, “Patricia told me that you... that she... what I mean to say is that you don’t have to be afraid. For Eugene.” He frowned slightly. “I’m not saying this well—”

“I think I know what you mean though, anyway, Nigel,” she said, “I’ve been through some awful experiences. Don’t listen to those fools who say ‘whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.’ It’s not true. It’s not true at all. My trials, my struggles have weakened me in serious ways. I don’t know wha-what I-I-I would do without him, Nigel. I’d be lost.”

“I think you’re stronger than you know. But more than that I’m certain that you won’t have to test that strength for a long, long time to come.”

“Oh, Nigel. What if...”

“Lacie,” he said so firmly with such authority and conviction—so much like Eugene—that she stopped and looked up at him. “Believe me. I’m certain.”

She nodded her head, slightly, a small smile on her lips. Strange as it might have been, she DID believe him. Saying nothing more, he walked away.

As he turned the corner, however, he spotted an strange sight: a young woman in a casual blouse and jeans, with long shiny silver hair coming out of the elevator, making her way back down the hallway he’d just exited, going into Eugene’s room. Hmmm. Silver hair. I wonder... but there’s no way she could have gotten here this fast, even if he called her just after I left. She might just be visiting him—they are close friends after all. Coincidence maybe? Or... perhaps just a twist of fate. At any rate, I can’t let this go. I can’t leave my Patricia trapped in her own head anymore, no matter what it costs me. Mind made up, he made his way back down to the reception area, where his women were waiting...

* * *

After meeting with Ethyria, Sarah hadn’t wasted any time, not to magic herself into her costume, or even to walk, fly, or drive the distance to the hospital. Instead she’d just closed her eyes, focused her will, and appeared in a bright flash of light just inside of the Midas Touch lobby. At least Yancy finally helped me figure out how to get THAT right. Would probably have ended up in the parking lot before. Sarah rolled her eyes at herself before making her way to the elevators. The staff knew her well enough—she was Silver Girl, and her wife was their Doctor Raine. It didn’t take much in the way of arm pulling to get her friend’s room number so she could knock on the inside of his door before peeking in. “Gene? It’s me. Sarah.” she said from outside. “Heard you got a new ticker. Is okay if I come in?” As if she needed to announce herself with a silver colored hand, but it was only natural.

Eugene glanced up, smiling at the welcome voice. Well, speak of the devil! “Sarah, lass! Aye, come in, come in...” He sighed softly, nodding as she entered. Same beautiful silver skinned lass that he remembered, if a little care worn. Still, she seemed in good spirits. “Forgive me for not standing to meet you. I’m... a wee bit worse for wear these days, mind.“

Sarah forced herself to smile as she stepped closer to the bed to give her old friend a hug. “Oh, it’s okay. I understand. I’ve had heart problems myself, y’know. Never needed a whole new one, but well... yeah.”

Ach. Enough about me. No need getting maudlin right now. “And you?” he pressed on, his tone light but concerned. “How are you faring these days, lass? We’ve been worried sick about you and the wee girls.“

Her face twisted up for a moment before she gave a weak shrug. “Tryin’ to put it all behind me. Girls grew up while I was gone. Managed to make things more complicated than I ever imagined they could... but they’re surviving.” She shook her head before giving a faint shrug. “How’re... well, um,” she gestured helplessly, “er, besides the obvious, how’re you?”

Gene laughed ruefully at that. The poor girl was hurting more than he... nearly as much as Lacie—that much was obvious to him, despite her gentle smile. After all, how could she NOT after everything she’d been through, as well as losing a daughter. And yet... he also knew her well enough to know that for Sarah, being able to help and comfort others was the best balm to healing her own wounds, rather than looking for nurture herself. Besides which... it would be nice to simply let down my own guard with someone I know well enough, and lean on someone else’s shoulders for a bit.

“Sarah, lass... I’m... frankly, I’m a mess. And I’m not talking physically. I’m feeling a little... scared... which is a new feeling for me.” He sighed, unable to meet her eyes. “Mostly, though... I feel bloody useless. Lacie is suffering... and I dinnae ken what to do to help her.”

Eugene’s vision misted slightly, unshed tears fighting their way though. “And, well... I dinna ken if ye’ve heard this yet... Katie’s girlfriend... her love, the girl she and wee Sylvie spent time with during her visit... Jessica DuMont? She di... she was killed last week. An assassin sent by my brother tried to shoot my Katie Ann... shot and hit wee Jess instead.” Talking about it didn’t lessen the guilt or the hurt any... it was all still too new, too fresh. “Her good luck protected her but not her love. And the lassie... she blames herself terribly, aye... but she blames me more for not warning her about Duncan.”

Sarah rested a hand over the center of her chest, instinctively still trying to squeeze at the same teardrop pendant she’d worn for over twenty years that was no longer there. “Jessica... Sylvia mentioned her before, but... gosh I didn’t know.” She sighed mournfully. “Death is... never easy. I still would do anything I could to bring Olivia back, but I doubt Katie would want to talk to me about that or I’d offer.” Her face twisted with thought as she tried to figure out what to say, what to do, the thoughts so visible on her face. “I’m here for you, and your family, however I can be... I wish I could reach back in time and fix everything, but my magic doesn’t work like that. I’m sorry...”

He chuckled softly, reaching out to squeeze her hand, gently. “Ach, well, time twisting is more Lacie’s and her sister’s thing anyway... and I think she used up her one freebie in saving me. Lass... it’s enough to know that ye care, really. Ye have no idea how much you’ve brightened my day merely by coming by to visit me.” He gave her a small smile, a sincere one this time. “I had a visitor earlier, a new friend, and a good one I think... but even so, I’m not... quite... to the point of being able to truly let this sad scared teary-eyed side of myself show. And you, Sarah Lucia, are one of the few that I can do so with. Trust me when I say that simply knowing ye care for them will do more for Lacie and Katie than all the magical spells and incantations in the world.”

He actually paused at that, chuckling again. “Ye ken... it’s funny, but after my experience I can finally say the word ‘magic’ without wrinkling up my nose. Guess my experiences have broadened my horizons a mite.” She smiled at that, his words and offhand humor breaking through the shroud of sadness surrounding her like a cloak, if just for the moment. Aye, and...on that note...

“Sarah, lass.” he said earnestly, clutching her hand again, “I want ye to know that the offer to help goes both ways. We’re here for YOU as well... you and Sylvie.” He sighed, turning his gaze downward. “I know it must be tough having lost Aurora... I cannae even imagine what that must be like. And I can understand ye not wanting to talk to anyone about it at the time—”

Sarah laughed weakly, and then again... less in a ‘sad, concerned way’, and more in a ‘weak apologetic way’. Her whole posture shifted as she reached back, scratching behind her own head with a low nervous laugh. Eugene frowned slightly. A psychic like Eva would be screaming at the top of their lungs that her body language was almost as loud as the guilt in her thoughts.

“Weeeell...” she said slowly, avoiding HIS gaze now, “Um... see, ’bout that.” She shook her head slightly. “’Rora... It’s a really long story, but suffice it to say the woman who kidnapped me... didn’t kill her. She turned Aurora into a Nesatealia. So that red headed woman that we ‘sorta adopted’ and welcomed as a part of the family—the one that’s been spending a lot of time with Sylvia? That’s... well, Yancy IS Aurora. We couldn’t risk communicating via phone, it’s to protect her identity for, well—I don’t know if you knew about them, Sylvia and Aurora, I mean, but... yeah.” Sarah sighed, shaking her head slowly, her cheeks the deep burnished silver they turned when she was deeply embarrassed or blushing.

“She was supposed to get in touch with you guys, and pass the word along, privately... I guess she got hung up.” She brightened again. “But I’m definitely here now, for all of you.”

Eugene had to admit, that caught him off guard a bit. It took him a moment to absorb and process this new information. It was most definitely something of a shock... but also a huge relief. He’d tried to keep close tabs on Sarah and her flock, from afar, not wanting to crowd her during her mourning, but also not willing to let his twisted brother cause her any more pain and sorrow. He’d even assigned agents to keep watch over them, just in case they’d been targeted as well, partially out of honest concern, partially out of guilt at not being able to find and rescue her, or help her daughters. The report of Aurora’s “death” had been particularly hard—Eugene and Lacie had always thought of the wee spunky lass and her sister Sylvia as much their daughters as their own Katie. And of course Sarah, having lost her ’Rora’s birth mother Olivia all those years ago... it was something of a wonder the loss hadn’t truly broken her. Now, however, it all made sense.

“Sarah, love... ye dinnae have to explain yer reasons. Aye... I ken about the girls being in love. I have sharp ears, and I heard Katie and Jess talking about it in passing, and frankly, it was no surprise. While I admit it’s a bit... unconventional, I’ve never had a problem with it. Love doesnae come in a prepackaged box with instructions. Ye cannae help who you fall in love with,” He said softly, thinking briefly about his own situation. I still need to have a sit down talk with Eva... and soon! “At any rate, lass, I’m just happy that ye dinnae have to bear that loss.” He sighed, nodding, grateful for being spared one less tragedy in our collective lives. “That said, lass... ye might want a bit of distance between ye if and when ye run into Katherine Ann and decide to tell HER. She’s in a bit of a mood right now.” He smirked wickedly. “And, if ye care for the lass, you might also warn ’Rora to hide out for a while... lay low, until the lass works through her angst. At least at first.“

Sarah slowly nodded. “If she ever... I always just wanted to be the cool aunt, you two not being able to have kids... so I never...” Sarah groaned as she rolled her eyes at herself, slapping her own forehead. “If she needs someone to turn to, I’m always here for her. I shoulda been more, while she was younger, just y’know, distance and... raisin’ Aurora and Sylvie wasn’t so easy either... Least Rora doesn’t break windows anymore!” She managed a grin, remembering that particular event no doubt. “Thanks fer understandin’ though. And, really, not a secret we meant to keep from you guys. It was just... bad timing.” She shrugged. “You sure there’s nothin’ else I can do for you...?”

“Me? Nae, lass... ye’ve brightened my day with yer visit at a time when I truly needed it. And for that I cannot thank ye enough. Lacie and Katie, however... aye, Lacie sorely needs her friend. If ye could, I’d have ye spend some time with her, away from here, away from this hospital. And Katie?” he grimaced, reliving the pain of their last conversation...“As to Katie... if I thought for an instant she’d actually listen to you, that you could get through to her, I’d beg ye to take her home with you for a few days as well, at least ’til she breaks out of her sorrow. More than anything right now she needs to let go of her anger and grieve, so that she can begin to heal.”

He grimaced again, his hand caressing the scar on his chest lightly... a habit, he noticed idly, somewhat mirrored by Sarah herself, the way her hand sometimes went to where that silver snowflake pendant she used to always wear hung. ‘Heart problems of her own’, she’d said? Aye... I recall that now, when she lost her sparks. Huh. I think it was a fortuitous event, her showing up here today. If anyone can help Lacie deal with the hurdle of having lost her powers, Sarah can.

“I’ll sure give it a shot,” Sarah promised solemnly. “And even if I can’t get through to her... I can still offer Katie a hug, and she can have me to get mad at instead of you. You don’t deserve that, but I can take it. Or maybe if nothing else, I can get her to just smile for even a second. You know... I kinda miss when Aurora would struggle to be angry while still smiling...” Sarah gave a wistful sigh before shaking her head.

The whole situation stank. Things should have been BETTER now that the threat of Duncan has been removed from all of our lives... instead, things seem just as bad, if not worse. My friends and loved ones are still hurting. My son is missing. My daughter hates me. My wife is an emotional wreck, just barely hanging on. And I... am nae much better off myself. I know all too well the bitter sting of failure, of helplessness , or not having protected the people closest to me.He shook his head sadly. It’s such a bitter pill to swallow—that for all of us, Sarah, Lacie, Katie, Eva, Parker, Nigel, myself—all with our various powers and abilities and resources, yet for all the good we’ve done in the world, for all the innocent strangers we’ve helped, we each seem to have trouble protecting the people we love the most. My armor... my lab, my inventions... my billions of dollars... and what good is it if I can’t even protect my own family? ... My... billions of dollars? Ahhh... shite.

Another thought suddenly popped into his head, and Gene blushed furiously, remembering some of the other “protocols” he’d put into place before heading off to face Duncan. “Um... Sarah lass?” he began, hesitantly, reddening even more for having to ask this. “not to be nosy or anything... and it may sound an odd question... but have ye checked yer bank account lately?”

“No... I tend to let Valerie worry about that. She’s better with numbers. That’s why she’s the doctor and I’m the ex-waitress.” Sarah gave a crooked grin, more silly than anything else.

“Er, well, as to the, ah, money situation,” he explained. “Don’t be mad or anything... It was meant to be a surprise, okay? As part of my will, I had fifty million dollars funneled into your and Valerie’s account... and twenty-five million each for Aurora and Sylvia... though I would expect ’Rora’s money went back over to your account when she was declared dead?” Sarah’s jaw visibly dropped. “I just didnae want you or Valerie to go to the bank one day and freak out thinking it was some kind of catastrophic bank error in your favor... or get upset that I had accessed your account without ye knowing...”

Sarah gaped, mouth opening and closing more times than it ever had before she simply fell silent. “I... Gene... I... Wow. That’s a lot of... Not the kind of surprise I wanted—” She froze up, waving her hands wildly. “Wait! That didn’t come out right! I mean, because I didn’t want you to die! You know! But... that’s so generous... We’ll find some way to put it to good use. Kinda like the small lifestyle, but I think there are a few places where that could do... wow... millions...” She shook her head in disbelief. “Even Jesse Colloten didn’t just throw that kind of money around...” Sarah let out a long slow whistle. “Yeah, Yancy let me know about that, but... wow... just... wow. Uhm... I’d joke about earning Lacie a ‘happy-ending’ to me trying to cheer her up if it didn’t sound so lame...”

She sounded both so embarrassed and so sincere that he just couldn’t help himself. He burst out laughing. “Ach, lassie...” he laughed, winking at her, which only made her blush deepen, “I can tell ye this much, I doubt she’d say no to the offer!” He had to wipe the tears from his eyes, still a little breathless from all this laughter. It was true what they said—it really was the best medicine. “As for the money... I ken what ye mean. You’ve been to our home... we don’t exactly live like the ‘Rockefellers of River City’, mind. Frankly, if I wasn’t such a planner by nature, I woudnae ken what to do with it all either!” he smiled up at her lovingly. “However ye want to use it, it’s yers to do with as ye please. Ye ken, lass, yer a darlin’ girl, and a dear friend. Ye gave Lacie and I the single best gift we could ever hoped for, and ye never ask for anything... so I figured the only way ye’d accept it was if I gave it to ye after I was dead so ye couldn’t say NO and try and give it back!”

He blinked... then yawned deeply, eyes fluttering a bit, weariness overtaking him. “Oh... sorry... yer not boring me, I promise... I’m just yawn tired. Damn... and I just woke up from a nap not too long ago, too. I seem to tire out easily these days.“

A slow nod preceded Sarah squeezing his shoulder. “You’re right about that, but... I should go check on Lacie, and force you to rest. Again, I have had heart problems before, so I know how important it is to take it easy.” She smiled, caressing his cheek lightly. “You’ve got my number. When you feel better, you gimme a call! Or... if you feel worse, gimme a call! Valerie’ll take good care of you.” Sarah grinned sweetly as she began to slowly sneak towards the door. “I’ll do my best to take care of Lacie. I won’t let her be alone—I promise. I’ll even make sure she eats. And drinks something without booze in it, if she’s in any sort of spot like I was. You can count on me!“

Even as he felt the wave of exhaustion bearing down on him, Gene smiled softly, feeling as if a heavy weight had been lifted from his shoulders. “Thanksyawn lass... " he replied sleepily, willing his eyes to stay open just a bit longer, drifting off. “Yer the best... thank you... Sarah.“

“You know it.” Sarah winked, eyes shining bright as she ducked out, leaning back against the door with a sigh. A lot to think over, but her only real concern right now were the Frasiers. And maybe that for the next several weeks all Valerie would have as pillow talk would be how amazing it was to save Eugene’s life. She was sure Valerie had performed the surgery without even needing to ask. Without a second thought, she left the room, leaving Eugene to slumber in peace.

* * *

“Excuse me... you’re Silver Girl, aren’t you? Miss Sarah LaSilvas?”

Sarah whirled on her heels, half lifting off the floor in the process. “Yup, the one and only!” Then, with a stab to her conscience, she recalled how Aurora had taken up her mantle in her absence. “Well, the original, anyway.”

“My name is... Nigel,” I said hesitantly, stepping forward. “And I if you’re not too busy, I could use your... help.”

I stiffened slightly, feeling unsure. This was definitely new ground for me. I had no idea what she knew about me, what Eugene had told her, if anything, or how she would react to what I had to say. Nevertheless, I was determined. I have to do this,I told myself again. I have to save my Patricia.

In less time than one would have thought, I explained exactly what I wanted, what I had done to the girls, and what I needed Silver Girl to do. She listened calmly to my strange request, Ethryia’s words that the Light Bearer would be needed, coming back to her. With Silver Girl agreeing to wait in an empty patient room, I left, and returned shortly thereafter with Patricia in tow. She was curious but unconcerned. Why would she be? But she did wonder what all the mystery was about.

When she opened the door and saw who was in the room, however, she stopped dead and began to back away. “Nigel, wha-what’s she doing here?“

Sarah frowned in disapproval, watching the exchange; I had to actually order the girl to enter the room, then order her to stand still and be quiet and let Sarah approach her. Me, for my part, I felt rotten, nearly sick to my stomach. This was the first time I’d had to order her to do something for me, the first orders I had given her, since before we had married! Patricia, for her part, looked frightened, scared shitless, not knowing what was happening, only that it was important and significant. In short, all three of us were equally unhappy about being there.

Still, of the three, I was probably the most apprehensive, even if I didn’t look it. Silver Girl was wearing a scowl. She was clearly annoyed with me, with the situation, and what was going on. Not that I could really blame her. To an outsider looking in, Patty would seem like nothing more than a scared and frighten victim, feeling threatened by an evil ogre of a man, her abuser, her tormenter. The terror in Patricia’s eyes must have looked like fear of me to Silver Girl. It was clear that she was torn between the fact that I had asked her specifically to free the poor woman from mind control, and the opposing fact that I had freely admitted to enslaving her in the first place. Nevertheless, she’d promised to keep an open mind, and to otherwise not interfere, choosing to let this little drama play out between Patricia and myself on its own. She HAD warned me, however, that If the newly freed Patricia wanted to press charges, Silver Girl would spark me into a puddle on the floor on the spot and then turn me over to the cops.

Patricia’s face was a mask of fear as Sarah approached her. “Don’t be afraid, Patty,” she said gently, giving her a reassuring smile. “I’m not going to hurt you. I promise. This might feel a bit bright in the place where you imagine things,” she said, holding up a softly glowing pale silver hand. “Don’t worry, it fades pretty quick.” A white light, purer than the silver light she usually used formed at the tip of two of her fingers which she gently pressed into Patricia’s forehead. Briefly the light grew sharply brighter, forcing me to turn away and shield my eyes, before it slowly faded away. Sarah nodded, letting out a soft sigh. “There. See? No harm, no foul.” She glanced from Patricia to me and back to Patricia again. “Wherever you go from here, Patricia, whatever you decide to do, I’m here for you. If you need me to call someone for you... I can get you away from him. You don’t have to be afraid.”

Patty blinked, staring wide eyes for a moment, before backing away from the heroine, horror etched on her face... her mouth opened and closed a few times, and she blinked rapidly, as tears began to well up... then she turned, staring at me. Her husband. Her lover. Her Master for more than two decades... the one who has just severed that bond, that control, freeing her completely. I just stood there, silent, stolid, trying to keep my cool, trying not to show any fear... simply waiting...

I watched the emotions, the anger, the sadness, the confusion play across her visage, feeling them just as deeply behind my stoic mask. Dammit... it’s really not looking very good for me at all. I was a damned fool to do it this way. I cursed myself silently. I should have listened to Eugene. I should have TALKED to her first, told her what this was all about... felt her out, discussed it with her. But... I just couldn’t. I knew that if she had given any hint, any clue that she would leave me, that I would have chickened out. I wouldn’t have had the courage to go through with it... to bring her here.

“No...” Patricia said softly. She looked up at me, the tears welling in her eyes. “Oh, goddess, no...”

My mind began to race, my heartbeat hammering a staccato beat in my chest. How am I gonna survive without her? How will I be able to even THINK about letting the rest of them go after this?

My world crumbling, falling down around me, I took a moment to close my eyes and compose myself. I took a deep breath... my outward expression still calm and composed... I would break down later... badly... but not now, not in front of a stranger. And as badly as I wanted to walk—run—away, to escape, Patricia deserved to vent her rage. If she needed to scream, punch, scratch, claw or bite... or toss any parting words at me before she left me, departed my life forever... so be it. I could... I WOULD take it. It would be no less than I deserved...

Patricia’s hands tightened into fists, her knuckles as white as bone. I closed my eyes, again, and, in spite of myself, I flinched, expecting the blows to rain down upon me.

But they never came.

Softly, haltingly, the love of my life asked between shallow sobs, “Is... is she r-r-right... Nigel? Are yo... you-you... gonna... sssend me... away?” Her voice spoke tremulously, forcing me to open my eyes again. “Are you... N-n-nigel?”

“What?” I asked, confused. I couldn’t understand. It sounded like she was... afraid?

Sarah approached Patricia again. “You don’t have to be afraid. He can’t hurt you. I’ll stay with you if you need me, or I can find someone who can help get you in touch with the authorities, someone who can help you sort things out—”

“NOOOOOOO!!” Patricia all but screamed, jerking back from Silver Girl... turning back towards me. I just stood there, stunned by her reaction.

“No! Please!” Patricia sobbed, “Don’t... don’t let her take me away from you! I’m sorry! Please! PLEASE!!”

My jaw dropped, uncomprehending, as Patty all but tackled me to the ground, falling to her knees, clinging to my waist, a drowning woman holding onto the only solid land in her world... her arms nearly crushing me, muscles no longer superheroine-strong but plenty strong enough. She gripped and held me like a vice.

“OH, GOD, OH GAWD! PLEASE! PLEASE MASTER DON’T LEAVE ME!” Now whimpering, she continued to plead with me between sobbing gasps for breath, “I’ll... I’ll do... anything... Just... OH GOD... don’t... don’t make me... go away! I know... I... know... I screwed up... the thing with Gene... you nearly died...my fault... please... I’ll do better... anything... please... I love you... I need you...”

My mind spinning, still trying to process such a turn of events, I whirled on Silver Girl. “She... she called me ‘Master’. I thought... I thought you said your power would FREE her, make her no longer my slave!”

Sarah was clearly just as shocked, but she seemed to recover quickly. “There’s no brainwashing left. Believe me,. I burned it all away. That’s all her, all Patty. That is how she really honestly feels, from the bottom of her heart " She grinned sidelong, shaking her head. “You’re a lucky, man, Nigel Grimalde. I don’t know the history between you two, and frankly, I don’t want to. Just accept the evidence right before your eyes—she truly loves you and needs you.”

I still couldn’t understand it. I couldn’t accept it, couldn’t wrap my head around it. Everything I’d done to her over the years, all the abuse... all that she’d suffered at my hands merely because I’d programmed her to accept it... It was too much. Despite my deep and abiding love for Patty, and knowing that she loved me, I’d never quite been able to accept that idea that she could forgive me... that she might actually love me without the programming, without the compulsions I’d placed in her mind... that I was even WORTHY of being loved. Eugene’s words came back to me again, as I stared down at the crying, sobbing woman at my feet, literally BEGGING me to love her. I... I can’t hold back anymore, Silver Girl be damned! And I let go, crying openly, freely, even with an audience... tears running down my face. Somehow, I pulled Patricia’s arms loose and sank down to my knees with her, clutching her in a fierce hug.

I pulled back and gazed into her eyes, our noses almost touching. “Patricia, what are you saying? I’m the one who screwed up. I’m the... the bad guy here. I’m the one that tricked you, that trapped you, that... OH BABY! PLEASE! Please, please, don’t YOU leave ME! I know... I don’t deserve you... I’m not WORTHY of your love... but I swear I’d die without you—” My words were cut off as Patricia kissed me then, leaving absolutely no doubt how much she loved me.

I couldn’t believe it. She loved me. Incredibly... In spite of everything... she actually LOVES me. And even if I don’t deserve her, well... I have her. And I’ll have the rest of my life to make it up to her and prove myself worthy of that love.

Glancing up at the heroine again, wiping the tears, I simply nodded. Sarah sighed softly, smiling crookedly, wiping a tear or two from her own eyes. “Well, I’d say my work here is done, am I right?”

“Uh, right,” I said, softly, turning back to stare into my beloved’s face. “Not anymore. But, Sarah... Thank you. Thank you so much.”

“Anytime. Just let me know when you want me to help with the others.” Silver Girl replied as she saw herself out.

As for Patricia andmyself, we had no more need for words. We understood each other perfectly.

THE END? THE NEW BEGINNING.