The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Decerto Terminus

by J. Darksong & Baltimore Rogers

Part 9)

Lacie Frasier held her husband’s bloody battered and lifeless body in her arms, nearly overwhelmed in inconsolable pain and anguish. It had happened again. Her worst fear. Eugene was gone. Again. Just like that Argentum fiasco all over again. Only this time he wouldn’t be coming back.

No.

No! I refuse! I won’t accept it! I won’t!

Marshalling her remaining strength, her will, her power, and her desperation, Lacie Ann Frasier called forth her holy flame once more, her body igniting in a bright pure golden light. With her Sight, she found and caught the tattered and frayed edge of Eugene’s life thread, already so thin, so worn, connected only by the thinnest of tendrils. Reaching out, she grasped that thread, holding it still, whole, refusing to let it snap. “Come back to me, my love,” she whispered softly, lifting him bodily into her arms, letting her light flow over him as well, willing it to seep down deep into his very essence, seeking out his thread, wrapping it around her own, knowing that what she was doing was forbidden and caring... not a damn.

Eugene’s body shuddered slightly in her grasp, and his eyes, open and vacant held just the faintest flicker of life in them. Daring to hope, Lacie allowed her full power to flow, again, breaking every rule and taboo of her task as a Fatespinner, as she bent time and space around her, trapping Eugene and herself in the moment, binding his life force to his body, holding him at the moment just before his death, keeping him there on the very cusp for timeless time...

* * *

Where am I?

No... no, no, no... God. no...

I can feel it again... pain. Anguish. Sadness. Fear... all the things that I thought I’d left behind. I was somehow still alive, still trapped in my ravaged, maimed wreck of a body...

“Please, Eugene, baby, please, stay with me,” Lacie Ann’s voice spoke to me then, deep in my mind, as I felt her love and her desperation wash over me like a warm blanket. “Just hang on a little longer. Please. I know it hurts... and I’m sorry. I’m doing all I can to shield you from it... but some of it still leaks through...

Lacie? Loveling? How... how are you doing this? Baby... I’m dead.

“NO! Not yet!” she thought back to me furiously. “Not yet. I’m holding you here, at the Eternal Now, the point just before your spirit left your body... and I just need you to hang on a bit more, just a little longer!”

Dear heart... my heart was skewered. It’s gone. My body is dead, rotting, wasting away. There’s no saving me, even with your powers.

“That’s why I’m taking you to someone who can help,” she sent back to me, as the world around us began to spin and swirl by at incredible speeds. Then...

“AHHHH!”

“What in the... oh my god!”

“What’s going on in... Omega Girl?!?” A voice I remember. “And... is that... Gene? Oh my Goddess! What happened?”

“He needs a heart transplant,” Lacie replied, sounding tired. “Please, Valerie... you have to help him...”

Transplant? I was in a hospital? Valerie... Raine. I was in Midas City then... the Midas Touch Medical Center.

“A heart... Goddess... how long has he been like this?”

“TOO long. Please, Valerie, you have to help him!”

“Lacie... sweetheart. It’s too late. He’s gone—”

“He’s NOT dead!” Lacie insisted. “I’m holding him here, at death’s door, until you can heal him... but I can’t hold him like this forever. Valerie... please...”

“Bethany... clear O-R number three, and prep for surgery. Ellen, call down and have the anesthesiologist get ready. STAT!”

“Dr. Raine... you can’t be serious? There are... there are procedures, and a waiting list for transplants, not to mention the other health concerns involved! We can’t just—”

A bright flash of golden light. “YOUWILL SAVE HIM!” Lacie, using her Goddess Voice. “Please,” she added, almost as an afterthought.

Silence for several seconds, then.. “Yes... we will... save him. Everyone, move! MOVE! And have a few pints of AB positive blood brought down, yesterday, people, YESTERDAY!”

Time shifts... jerking forward, like a needle skipping on a badly scratched record. I’m on a hospital table, now... faces staring down at me... a machine pulses... flat line? Of course, I don’t have a heart left to beat, after all—

Skip.

A burst of pain, sharp and intense, and a crack...

“Jeeezus! Did ya see that? He flinched!”

“Fuck... he IS still alive...”

“Not just alive, but conscious! Lacie?”

“Sorry... can’t be helped... doing what I can to... to... mute the pain but... some of it still gets through...”

Lacie. Ah, lassie... you sound so tired. Holding me here like this... It’s too much for you. Just let me go.

“No... it’s okay. I can last. Just a little longer, please. Just stay with me.”

Skip.

“—no necrosis at all. Not anywhere. Incredible. Fucking incredible...”

“Okay, let’s get the old one out of there. Ellen, retract... a bit more... there!”

Skip.

“—and suction, please. Yes. Good. Thank you, Gayle.”

“Looking good, Doctor. A textbook transplant.”

“Heh. Except nothing about this situation can really be called ‘textbook’, can it?”

“I can’t really argue with tha... Lacie? Quick someone catch her!”

Lacie? LACIE! What’s wrong? What’s happening?

“I’m... okay...” she replied aloud, panting, breathing hard and deep. “Just... tired. How much longer... Doctor?”

“Sweetie, it’s okay, you can let go. I’ve got him now. He’s hooked up to the machine, on bypass, regulating his blood flow. I just need to finish stitching all the valves and then close. An hour’s work, maybe less. Just let go of his hand... sweetie... Lacie... let go!”

Yes, baby, listen to her. Let go. I’m okay now.

“No. I can manage,” she insisted. “I have to... to make sure. Please, Valerie... if something goes wrong... once I let go, I won’t be able to do this again... just... please hurry...”

Loveling. I didn’t want this. Just let go. Trust Valerie... she knows what she’s doing. If I die then I die. It’s not worth it if you kill yourself in the process.

“No... Master... I can... do this... I can... I... I...”

I felt it then... a disconnect. The constant pressure around my hand slackened. LAAAAACCIIIEEEEEE!”

“Lacie! Ellen, quick! Check her vitals! See if she’s... she’s...”

“She’s okay, Doctor Raine. Looks like she just fainted.”

“Goddess bless... no wonder. It’s been three hours so far. It’s a miracle she was able to hold on as long as she did.”

Fainted. Okay. Good. Fainted is good. Bloody hell. Nearly gave me a... well, hmmm... whatever passes for a heart attack before you actually HAVE a heart. At least she’s still alive...

Skip.

“Looking good. I think we’re done. Just need to jumpstart it and see if we get a rhythm.”

“Ready when you are, Doctor.”

“Alright. Let’s start ’er up!”

A spark.

Something in the center of my chest... no. The center of my very being. I remember... a long time ago, when Sarah was in this verra same hospital, maybe this verra same room. She’d just recovered from her encounter with Yanuka, and having her magic, her ‘silver’, taken away. The silver that, besides powering her abilities, actually kept her alive, bypassing a genetic defect in her heart. Now, here, at the moment of my rebirth, I couldn’t help but wonder what thoughts were running through Valerie’s mind, whether she was thinking of her beloved Sarah right now, as she coaxed my heart into beating once more...

* * *

Lacie Frasier sat up with a gasp, glancing around, momentarily disoriented, then panicked, as the memory of recent events returned. “Eugene! Oh God! Where—”

“Shhh! Easy, hon, easy. It’s okay,”

Eva Snow whispered softly, placing a comforting hand on her cheek. “I’m here, Lacie. He’s fine. Alive and recovering in the ICU. Just relax, hon... sit back down before you fall down.”

“No! I need to go to him! I have to see him!” she started, trying to rise, only to stumble.

“Lacie, dammit, relax! I told you, he’s fine,” Eva insisted. “And I promise, I’ll take you to see him in a bit. Frankly, everyone’s more concerned about you.” She sighed, shaking her head. There was so much she needed to tell her, so much she needed to say... but this wasn’t the time. “I don’t know what you did. Frankly, no one knows. They said you kept him alive for more than four hours... without a beating heart in his chest?“

“Four... hours?” she said, a little awestruck herself. “Was it really that long? I... dunno. Everything just kind of... blurred together there at the end...”

Eva nodded softly. “I guess that explains why you passed out on the operating room floor. You’ve probably ran your energy reserves down to nothing. No wonder your hair turned back to brown again.”

“Brown?” she asked, frowning, turning to the mirror adoring the far wall. She stared, transfixed, peering at her reflection. She ran a hand along her face, just to prove the girl in the mirror was actually her. “It’s... me,” she said after a moment, barely able to accept it. “The gold tint... " she said, glancing down at her hands. Curious, she closed her eyes, focusing, concentrating for a moment, before sighing, shoulders slumping down. “It’s gone, Eva,” she said after a moment. “The power... it’s gone.”

“I know,” she said, gently, “but with a little rest, I’m sure you’ll be back to your old self again in no time. You just need to recover your strength—”

“No, Eva,” she insisted, a tear running down her left cheek, followed by another on the right. “You don’t understand. I mean it’s gone gone. I can feel it. Or... or rather I can’t feel it. My connection with Yggdrasil... my Vision, my connection to the Great Weave... even my strength and power as Omega Girl! It’s all... gone. It’s... dead inside me.” The tears continued to pour down heedless, even when Eva pulled her into a tight embrace, giving her what small bit of comfort that she could...

* * *

A soft gentle light, dim at first, but growing slowly brighter illuminated the kitchen of Sarah LaSilvas’ house, drawing her attention suddenly, as the light faded, revealing a young raven haired woman with ice blue eyes, clad in a shapeless silver and cream colored robe. Her long black shoulder length hair fluttering slightly, as if in a wind, despite being inside the house. She smiled gently at the astonished Sarah, bowing slightly. “Well met, Sarah Lucia LaSilvas, daughter of Lida, from the line of Pallas... it is truly an honor to meet the Lightbearer in person.”

Sarah blinked. She’d just been lounging after breakfast, expecting to watch a bit of television and relax. Everything was finally mellowing out. Until now. This was exactly the sort of thing Sarah was happy to be done with. “Uhm... Hi.” Sarah raised her hand, wiggling her fingers shyly before very lightly frowning. “Nice to... meet you Miss...?” She motioned her hand before wiggling more into the couch to relax. Her comfortable jeans and loose t-shirt suddenly made her feel incredibly under dressed, compared to her visitor. “You can just call me Sarah, by the way.”

“Ah, forgive me. Allow me to introduce myself,” the young girl replied. “I am Ethyria Lilandra Tepesi... daughter of Lasirra, of the line of Skuld,” she replied formally, bowing again. “I do not wish to intrude... but I needed to speak to you, if I may?” Walking over to the couch, she extended a hand.

“Ah. Nice to meet you Ethyria,” Sarah replied, standing up slowly, taking her hand for a gentle shake. “Pretty name.” Sarah frowned, slightly, her mind racing. ”Skuld you say? So... Lacie’s family, right? She’s not in trouble, is she?” She sighed dramatically, grinning. “And here I was thinking I could take some time off.“

Ethyria shifted slightly, looking down at her feet. “Trouble? Yes... that would be putting it mildly. I... don’t know how much you have talked about her... ‘lineage’?” she asked, eyebrow raised at the term. “Suffice it to say, recent events have caused something of a crisis for us. In short, Sarah... my sister needs your help.” She paused, considering. “Or... more to say, your support. Your compassion. Your friendship.” She turned away again, hiding the tears. “All the things that she SHOULD be receiving from her sisters right now.”

Sarah bit her lip, the sparkles in her eyes dimming down dramatically. Sister. “Shit. I guess at least it’s more of a ‘Sarah LaSilvas’ thing than a Silver Girl kind of thing, then? White after labor day and all that.” She waved her hand, trying to bring some levity to the situation, but clearly failing to manage even for herself. “Just point the way. Hmmm. Should probably leave a note for Valerie, though, if I’m going all the way to River City... Maybe call. If Lacie really needs someone, she’ll need all the people she can get,” she said thoughtfully. “Okay! Just tell me where she is and I’ll be there!” Sarah squeezed her hand into a fist.

“That won’t be necessary. She’s with your wife at this very moment... over at the Midas Touch. Her husband, Eugene... he was... injured.” She shook her head, and pushed aside her feelings of sadness. There was very little she could do for Lacie now, but she could at least do this much. THIS was allowed. “I do not know if you followed the new report that was sent out several hours ago last night... Mr. Frasier faced his brother Duncan. Faced and defeated him, but died in the process.”

“E-eugene?!? Dead? Aw hell...” Sarah just stared blankly as her fist opened up and dropped limply at her side. She hadn’t talked to him in entirely too long, and that year that she’d spent with Lia had re-colored time on a distressing scale. Still, she remembered the man well, if only from the gift she’d shared with his wife. As... awkward as that had felt. At least she’d managed to make them not HER children... at least mostly. That would have made things even worse. “I’m sorry, I don’t really watch the news when I’m on vacation. Not good for a super heroine taking a day off... but it’s no problem. I’ll be right there!” She turned to go, the paused, noticing the strange look on the visitor’s face. “Um... Is there... anything else I should know first?“

Ethyria frowned. “I’m sorry... I am not used to this. Perhaps I am not communicating well. Eugene Frasier lives still... his ‘thread’ was severed... cut... but Lacie reconnected it. She used her power to stop time around him... only him... to keep him in the moment before true death claimed him.” She shook her head softly, still a bit awestruck at the notion. “She held him there, between life and death, and brought him to your wife. His heart had been skewered in the fight. He needed another. And she held his life force there in his body until the damage was repaired... despite what it cost her.”

“Wait... what do you mean by ‘cost’? What happened to her?”

“As to the question of cost... you should be prepared when you see her,” Ethyria stated. “Your... own recent problems notwithstanding, my Sister’s appearance has changed somewhat dramatically. She has reverted to her original self... her hair, her skin, her entire physical form. She is no longer a Goddess, no longer Omega Girl... merely Lacie Ann Frasier once more, the dark-haired, slim-figured woman you knew long ago.“

Sarah froze for a moment at the word ‘sister’. Her hand went to her chest, grasping over her heart. In that moment it felt like all of her oh-so-fun heart problems were coming back at her again with a vengeance. But when that moment faded, she slowly nodded. “Sister. Right,” she breathed shakily. Lacie. Not Lia. Not... Lia. Sarah took a long slow breath. Heh. Even starts with an ‘L’. She would have made a better LaSilvas than me, probably. She sighed. “Thank goodness he’s still alive. I’ve been through that though, it’s... possible to bounce back. With some help. A LOT of help. Guess I should be on my way to the Midas Touch, huh?“

Ethyria moved forward suddenly, pulling Sarah into a tight hug, surprising her. “Forgive me, Sarah... I did not think... I did not mean to bring up bad memories.” She clutched her tightly for a moment before releasing her gently. “Lia... I know of her. We all do.” She paused, considering. “Did you know that Lacie came to us when she first heard you had disappeared? In Yggdrasil, we are closer to the Great Weave. There, our Sight, and our power is increased significantly. Lacie... she spent so much time in the Well looking for you... more than eight months of your time, searching the Weave for you... strand by strand, reality by reality, trying to find you. We all did.”

The surprise showed clearly on Sarah’s face. ’Ria smiled sadly. “It was... she did finally find you... was able to see where you’d been taken, what was being done to you. But the plane of your patron goddess is inaccessible to us... she could see but not interact.” She sighed. “Still, knowing you were alive, she left us soon after, to send word to your daughters, to give them hope, if nothing else. But, it was all for naught anyway. Time flows differently for us than it does for you... in the days she spent in our time, weeks had passed in the outside world. By the time she returned, your daughters had already made their way to you.“

She sighed heavily, staring down at her feet. “Lacie... saw it all. She knows how you suffered, and blames herself heavily for not being able to save you... one of many failures she believes she is guilty of.”

Sarah slowly nodded, responding to the hug on autopilot. It had been some time free of her ‘dear sister’, but those wounds healed slower than so many others had. Having her mind twisted and controlled... being used for another’s pleasure was one thing; being tormented again, and again, and again, relentlessly, and brutally, was something she had much less familiarity with. Even the memories she and the Domina shared did not contain such horrors.

“It’s not her fault,” Sarah insisted grimly, her determination to help ease her friend’s suffering reaching an all new high. “Looks like I’ll need to talk some sense into her one way or another.” She closed her eyes briefly. “And I... I’m sorry I wasn’t there for her, either. Not a whole lot that I could do, not for the lack of wanting.” Sarah sighed, slowly shaking her head. “So. Any other bombshells to drop on me?“

“Of my sist... of Lacie’s current situation,” ’Ria amended, mindful of her feelings on that word and the memories it invoked. “No. I think you know more than enough concerning her pains. Help her... and in doing so, you begin to help yourself. I will say this: that your talents as the Bearer of Light will be needed once you arrive, for her and for several others. There is a... lingering presence in her mind that needs to be burned away... a chance encounter of Destiny and one that is soon to reoccur, but that I would see removed, if possible.“

She frowned, staring straight ahead vacantly for a moment. “Perhaps... perhaps... no. I cannot... damnation!” she mumbled softly, shaking her head. Aloud she said “There are things coming that I wish I could spare her... and you as well. Alas, if there is one thing I’ve learned in the past three hundred and fifty years, it is that great powers bear great responsibilities. Please tell her that her ‘other family’ misses her. And one last thing: as to Lacie’s daughter. She is... going through a similar pain as well. When you meet her again, you may feel the urge to try and heal her with your Light as well, to purge what you would call an ‘empathic shadow’ from her mind. Please, do not attempt it. Her Destiny cannot be changed. And your magic... and hers... they will not mix well. Remember that.“

Blinking, her eyes cleared and refocused again. “And to you, Sarah LaSilvas... child of Destiny... I am not of your lineage, nor are you of mine... but any friend of Lacie’s is indeed my friend as well. If truly you need my help sometime in the future, do not hesitate to call.”

Sarah stepped back, holding up her hands with a tired sigh. White light formed in her hands as she brought them together, bright and pure. “Silver Girl gets a day off, but the Light Bearer is always busy. Works well enough for me, I guess.” Sarah shrugged loosely as the light dissolved from her hands before they dropped gently on Ethyria’s shoulders, her silver eyes seeking out the other woman’s. “Don’t worry. I’ll take care of them both as best as I can. And I’m pretty tough myself, you know. My daughters aren’t exactly slouches either. We’ll be fine. And Lacie will be, too. That said... if you need me in the future...” Sarah winked, giving the other woman a quick kiss on the cheek. “Just ask. For now, I think I know where I’m needed.“

Ethyria managed a small smile. “Thank you. And... call me ’Ria. All my friends do.” Kissing Sarah back gently on the cheek, she stepped back, then vanished a small flash of light.

* * *

Waking up felt strange.

I mean, simply opening your eyes, sitting up in bed, looking around at my surroundings... it all felt unusual. Not normal. Granted, I’d only technically been dead for a minute or two, had only vacated my body, if at all, for seconds, before Lacie brought me back. Still... everything seemed a little off. Colors seemed overly bright, shapes seemed a little fuzzy at the edges. Granted, it could simply be a matter of minor damage to my eyes, being open for a long time without blinking—an easy fix with rehydration and time—but there was always the chance that the feeling of wrongness about everything was actually a wrongness in me.

Sighing, I turned and slid a hand towards the small nightstand on my right, to grab the small pitcher of water, and cried out as a searing pain raced up my arm and into my brain like being stabbed with an ice pick. My hand spasmed, and the pitcher fell, which apparently alerted the nurse keeping watch over me, bringing her running. “Mr. Frasier! You’re awake! Are you all right? What’s hurting you?”

“Ach... it’s... nothing,” I said tightly, biting m lip, willing the pain under control. “Just... a minor arm spasms... that’s all...” Apparently my bluffing skills left much to be desired, as the nurse insisted on calling a doctor, giving me a complete once-over, and practically forcing a couple of extremely strong pain pills down my throat. The pain eventually eased, fading back to a dull roar in the background of my head, but still present. The doctor, somewhat concerned, insisted on doing a complete workup and took some more blood, despite my assurances, until finally I told him it was a pre-existing condition, and advised him to consult with my family doctor back home in River City.

I’m sure Dr. Curtis should be able to come up with some kind of BS explanation, or at the very least stall the man until I can get out of here. The fewer people that know about the nanites in my body the better. I sighed heavily. That also explains the other thing... the fact that I can’t feel or move my legs... that I have no feeling below the waist anymore.

So.

I was basically paralyzed. Again. A surge of panic started to overwhelm me, but I forced it back through sheer will. Easy lad. Take it easy. I can still move and talk, after all. My legs are nae that important. I can still get around. Aye... there’s millions of people in the world that are paraplegic and still manage to get by without freaking out... so there’s no need to go to pieces.

I bit my lip hard, and wiped away the tears that had started to form. I was stronger than this. Hell, I’d been prepared to die, to no longer FUCKING exist! The fact that I was alive at all was a blessing. So what if I wasnae exactly a hundred percent? I would adjust. I would adapt. And I absolutely, positively WOULD NOT LET ON to Lacie Ann that this was anything more than a minor inconvenience.

Speaking of which... taking a moment to compose myself again. “Um, Nurse?” I asked the young lass tending to the spilled pitcher by my bed, “is my wife nearby? And is she allowed into the ICU? I’d like to see her now if I may.”

“Well... technically, it’s still too soon for visitors,” she said frowning slightly, “not until you’re released to your own private room. But, well, I suppose I can make an exception under the circumstances.”

A moment later, the nurse returned, looking decidedly glassy eyed, leading Lacie AND Eva to my bedside. Heh. That explains the nurse’s zoned out expression—she must have tried to make Eva stay outside. Hugs and kisses and tears were shared all around. Then, I informed them of the truth about my condition, my paralysis, and what I could only assume at this point as being moderate nerve damage to my right arm. More tears were shed, and it took a bit of soothing and reassuring on my part before they stopped.

“Eugene, I... I’m so sorry!” Lacie kept saying over and over. “It’s all my fault. My fault. I shouldn’t have been there. All I did was mess things up—”

“Lacie Ann!” I said sharply, catching her attention. She gasped, recognizing the tone. Eva gasped as well, standing up straight, as if at attention. Hmmm... interesting... Pondering her reaction in the back of my mind, I nevertheless turned my attention back to my wife. “Look me in the eyes, my girl,” I said softly but sternly. She did reluctantly, her soft beautiful blue eyes tinged with red. “Look at me. Listen to me. And bloody well accept my words: YOU are nae at fault for what happened to me. Duncan did this. He is the one responsible for my situation. Not you. Do you understand?“

“I...” she replied, slightly dazed, but I wasnae letting up.

“You are NOT responsible for my being paralyzed,” I repeated back, harshly. “Say it!“

“I... am not... responsible... for you being paralyzed,” she whispered, eyes locked on mine.

“Again.”

“I... am not responsible... for you being paralyzed.” her voice a little bit more firm.

“Again.”

“I am not responsible for you being paralyzed.” she said, confidently this time.

“Good girl,” I replied with a smile, then blinked as two soft moans sounded in the room. I glanced over at Eva again, but her face was turned away, glancing out the window. Sighing, I turned back to Lacie again. “Now, loveling,” I said gently. “Ye ken that you were not responsible for me being paralyzed, aye?” She nodded. “So... who IS the one responsible?“

Her expression changed from thoughtful, to sorrowful, to angry. “Duncan,” she growled softly. “Goddamn him. I almost wish he were still alive so I could kill him with my bare hands—”

“Relax, loveling, it’s fine. Let it be,” I said, soothingly, merely happy that she’d accepted my suggestion. I hadn’t used that effect of her conditioning in a few years now, and I hadn’t been sure it would work. Apparently, my concerns were unfounded; her sorrow and guilt at herself had shifted into anger against Duncan, where it truly belonged. Of course, there were still a lot of issues left to deal with, an entire depth of guilt and sorrow left to deal with, but at least I’d helped with the most pressing one. I yawned, then sighed again, suddenly very weary.

“Lacie, he’s exhausted,” Eva said suddenly, staring at me with concern. “We need to let him rest. We’ll check up on Ma... Eugene, again later, once they move him down to recovery.” She leaned down, kissing me gently on the forehead, then turned back to Lacie. “C’mon. You’re pretty worn out yourself. Let’s go down to the cafeteria and get something to eat.”

“Okay,” she said numbly, glancing back at me, her expression alternating from hopeful to fearful, and back again. “I love you, Gene,” she said softly, as she stepped out of the room.

“Aye... I love you too, my girls,” I murmured sleepily, as my strength waned and I slid back into slumber.

* * *

Two days later, they had finally moved me from the ICU into a private room. That, of course meant visiting hours for people other than my wife (and the ‘persuasive’ Dr. Snow). But my first visitor was not whom I might have expected. I glanced up at the door as it opened. “Well well... now this is a surprise. I must say, I hadn’t thought to see you walking through that door. Tell me, Nigel, to what do I owe the honor of this visit?“

“Morbid curiosity, to be honest,” he replied with a grin, walking over to the side of my bed, a small brown bag clutched tightly in his hand. “I heard conflicting rumors. Some said you were dead, some that you were still alive. I wanted to meet Schrödinger’s Cat in person.”

My mouth twisted into a wry grin. “That seems accurate enough. But, no... this cat’s quantum state is resolved. But alack, I’m afraid more than just my wave function has collapsed.” I said, gesturing toward my useless legs. “But I’m still around—for the time being, at least—thanks to my darling wife.” I sighed softly, glancing away at the thought of Lacie. “Did you come alone?”

“I never travel alone,” Nigel replied stiffly, gesturing over his shoulder. “Patricia is just outside, talking with Lacie.” He paused, seeming to roll the words around in his mouth a bit before continuing. “I’m... sorry... for what happened to you. Both of you, that is...”

“Small sacrifices,” I said, gesturing to my useless legs. My little stunt of using my body’s nanites to bypass the damaged section of my armor and move my arms had come at a hefty price. The process had burned out more than half of them, causing irreparable damage to the network, and moderate damage to my nervous system. All things considered, I was lucky to get away with some minor arm pain and losing the use of my legs; I could have easily ended up a quadriplegic, or worse, a brain-damaged vegetable trapped in a completely broken and useless body.

“More for her than for me, however,” I added after a moment. “I’m still hopeful still that something can be done to restore her powers. As it stands, however...” I shrugged, leaning back. This line of talk was beginning to make me feel morose. Glancing down, I noticed the small parcel clutched tightly underneath his arm. “What’s that you’re carrying? I’d half expect a gun, as payback for how things went before, if I didn’t already know the security screen around my hospital room was still intact.”

Sighing dramatically, Nigel made a show of opening his jacket, revealing what appeared to be an old fashioned snub nose revolver tucked tightly in a small hidden holster under his left arm, before closing it again. “I don’t go for cheap theatrics,” he said smoothly, opening the bag, taking out a bottle of Glenfiddich, and two shot glasses. “But if I did,” he added with a smirk, “I’m sure I could match you, play for play, old fella.”

“Bile ma heid n’ call me ah neep,” I exclaimed, shaking my head, chuckling. “If that’s a thirty-two, I take back every dirty rotten thing I ever said about you!“

“Sorry to disappoint, it’s a thirty-five,” he replied, popping the cork, pouring two shots, sliding one across the table towards me. “So I guess you’ll only take back half of what you said. I trust it’s okay from you to drink, in your... condition?“

I snorted. “Not hardly. Dr. Raine would likely have us both tossed out on our ears. Of course... I dinnae plan on informing the lassie.” I took the offered drink and drained it in a shot, sighing in satisfaction. “Aye... I truly needed that. Yer a good man, Nigel... as much as you try and deny it... particularly to yourself.”

“Yes, well... maybe I should stop denying it then,” he replied softly staring out the window as he drained his shot.

“Excuse me. Did I hear ye right, laddie?” I asked, curious. “Are you saying...”

“Would it help if I said it another way? ‘Turning over a new leaf’? ‘Making a fresh start’? ‘Poppa’s got a brand new bag’?”

“Aye, I was always partial to James Brown myself,” I quipped.

“Really? I always figured you more as the Robert Goulet type.”

“Ach, enough, ye dastard!” I said lightly, and then, somewhat incredulously, “Are you seriously standing there and telling me that Blackfinger is retiring?”

“That, I am, Eugene,” he said, then paused, “At least, that’s my goal. It’s not easy to retire from that life and manage to remain alive to enjoy it. It will probably take me a while, but yes, Blackfinger will one day—as soon as I can arrange it—be no more.”

I nodded slowly, processing that bit of information. “So. Might I ask what brought about this change in perspective?”

Nigel laughed drily, rising to his feet, walking to the window. “A change in perspective, hmmm? Funny... that’s exactly what it is. The world... it isn’t as I envisioned it. Things aren’t nearly as bleak, as hostile, as vicious as I imagined. I know that may be hard for you to believe right now, but I’ve become somewhat of... of an optimist. I used to think the world was against me. I thought it was kill or be killed. I needed to be feared. I thought that was the key to survival.” He sighed, turning back into the room. “And then, I acquired this fiery, ill-tempered, foul-mouthed, utterly driven but completely directionless girl. I enslaved her, tamed her, broke her down to her very core, and reshaped her into what I wanted her to be. But... somewhere along the way, she changed me as well... made me feel things I’d never believed possible for someone like me to feel. Made me see the world... differently.“

I nodded gently, in sympathy. He was a hard man, brought low by a woman’s love. I could empathize. I often wondered what would have become of me all those years ago had I not met and fallen for Lacie Ann. Would I have become like Nigel? Like Duncan? Fearing the world, hungering only for power, yearning to exert total control over everyone and everything around me? I like my world centered, ordered, and logical... but it’s the illogical, the emotional, the quirkiness, that truly makes it worth living in...

“Nigel,” I said suddenly, causing him to pause. “A question if I may. And I’d like a candid, honest response.” I sighed, considering my own answer to the question I was asking. “Partner. Slave. Wife. In what order would you describe Patricia?”

“Ah, Eugene, you missed the most important one: ‘Sustenance’. I need Patricia the way I need air to breathe, the way I need food and water, the way I need shelter. I simply can’t envision living without her,” Nigel chuckled, “but I can only assume that is true for you and Lacie as well. I’ve seen the look in your eyes when you talk about your wife, your family. I know that you know what I mean.”

That much was true enough. A week ago now, we’d both proven that we were willing to sacrifice anything for each other, even our very lives. And in my condition... it’s my love for Lacie, my concern for her happiness, that keeps ME from sinking into despair.

“But,” he continued after a small pause, “I don’t mean to dodge your question... She is first and foremost my Partner, and that, quite frankly, is one of the most important reasons why I am pulling the plug on Blackfinger. She wants to run for office, and she’d do well. She’s got the chops. She’ll do a lot of good for a lot of people. I’m her Partner and she’s mine, and I’m not about to let my paranoia, my ego, my thirst for adventure-and-a-quick-buck endanger her career. Quite frankly I’m hoping that I can count on your support in that endeavor.

“After that, well, how is ‘Wife’ really different from ‘Partner’? Because of the kids? Because of the love? Surely not just because of the sex! But really, the most important parts of that are what I meant by ‘Sustenance’. So I guess different parts of ‘Wife’ go before and after and inside of ‘Partner’... I guess.

“And Eugene, I swear I’m not shitting you. Slave doesn’t enter the picture. Not from my side. Not with Patricia. Oh sure, she still considers herself my slave and one of my harem girls. But that’s because she likes it that way. In all honesty I have not given her an order since I started dating her... well, except in bed. The closest I came to giving her a non-sexual order in over 14 years was the day she charged into my office like a rottweiler after a grizzly bear in a mistaken attempt to protect me from... actually... from you. I was so scared that you would lose control and hurt her that I was ready to give her an order, an order to leave. Fortunately I didn’t have to.“

I nodded softly. It was my turn. “For me, the order would be Sustenance, Wife, Partner, then Slave. That said... I’d imagined for both our spouses, the order wouldnae be verra different.” I sighed deeply. “Lacie... during the incident with the Mind Five all those years back, she cracked under the strain. Her world, her identity, her very sense of being had shattered. Afterwards, when the smoke cleared, and the people that had tormented her were locked away, it was her persona as a slave that she clung to, that she most identified with. The strongest woman in the world... but inside, so scared and fragile it tears at your heart.” I shook my head. “What I’m trying, and failing to say, Nigel, is that I’m not her Master because of anything I’ve done to her... or what THEY did to her. I’m her Master because she NEEDS me to be. Because my logical, order-minded personality, my dominance, my strength, is what keeps her safe and sane, and balanced.”

Nigel frowned at that, which surprised me. I had thought that if anyone could understand the Master-slave dynamic of my marriage it would be Nigel, but he had already surprised me by claiming his wife was not his slave. “I can understand that,” he said, to my relief, “but Eugene, I... I don’t think that’s healthy. I’m certainly not one to judge, but,” He paused, seeming at a loss for words. Then he found a way forward and continued, “Let me just tell you about Angela and Patricia. When Angela first came, ah, under my roof, she was a wreck. And really it was all my fault. But I didn’t want her to be broken. She wasn’t as useful to me broken.“

I must have scowled at the man for speaking so callously of such a wonderful lass; he immediately took a defensive stance. “Now, Eugene, stop! Don’t look at me like that. I’m not done yet. Let me finish!... I must have spent a small fortune trying to fix her broken mind. You may remember when Patricia took her to Eva Snow, not knowing Eva was Whitewash.” I sighed inwardly. Indeed, the verra event that had started everything. “In the end Patricia had to sucker punch Eva to get Angela away. That’s when she started all this ‘restraining order’ nonsense, and really enflamed all the bad blood between our two houses. But anyway. in those years, we tried dozens of psychiatrists, psychologists, gurus... everything you could imagine. But in the end, you know what did it, what freed that brilliant mind from the place I had trapped it? It was when I started caring about her. As a person. And that happened when I started seeing her through Patricia’s eyes. No... you look at Angela now, and you’d never believe that she was ever a stupid, spaced-out, sex-obsessed bimbo. But for years, she was. When it really started mattering to me, not just as a point of convenience, but as feeling of personal loss, then she was able to rise above the damage I’d caused her.”

“And so,” I said, “ye fell in love with her too. As well as yer Patricia.”

“I did,” said Nigel, “I thought of Patricia as the strong one. As I fell in love with Patricia, I began to see Angela through Patricia’s eyes, and I fell in love with Angela too. And eventually that love, from the two of us, saved Angela. Now, having said that, this recent dustup has made me realize just how fragile Patricia is too. How much she relies on me. How much it scares her to imagine something bad happening to me. Somehow I’m going to have to help her. She’s learned the fear, the paranoia, that used to consume me. I have to help her get past that. And that brings me to you and Lacie, Eugene... I don’t know much about your relationship with your wife, except that it’s obvious you would move heaven and earth for each other. But after what you just said, I wonder if maybe Lacie is a little like Patricia. And if so, maybe she needs to find her own strength too.”

“Aye, I ken what yer saying. And yer right. It is a deep part of Lacie Ann as well,” I admitted softly. “That’s part of the problem, though. She has been in counseling, and I don’t just mean with Eva. She is every bit as fragile as yer Patricia... possibly more so. I don’t know the extent of your history with her either... as was recently proven, what we THOUGHT we knew was not the whole story at all. Still... picture your loving wife, who loves you so dearly, who would do anything to protect you. Now... picture her after you DIED... or was taken away from her, forcibly, never to be seen again.” Nigel’s expression hardened, his hands clenching noticeably.

“THAT is what Lacie has already endured. The Argentum Project, several years back. I was one of the scientists and researchers invited up to the space station for what we thought was a humanitarian energy development project. It turned out to be a ruse, a plot by Silver Girl’s evil twin to magnify her powers by a million, and use them to spark the entire planet from space. Obviously, that didn’t happen, the real Silver Girl stopped her, and the array fell into disuse. But there were a few casualties in the process. One of them... was me.” I grimaced hard at the memory. “I won’t go into the details about being left floating in space in a metal suit on minimal life support. Ye can fill in yer own blanks there. Suffice it to say, for Lacie, it was cut and dried. Her husband went away and never came back. Presumed lost, or dead. It nearly destroyed her. And last week, I nearly made her relive that experience again, a second time.“

I sighed softly again. “Maybe ye’re right, Nigel. Maybe she does need to find a source of strength besides me, a source of strength within herself. But I’m at a loss to what it would be... or how to help her beyond being what she needs me to be here and now. And that brings up a point about, well, yer ‘other women’. Do you think... no. Do you KNOW in yer heart of hearts that your girls, your harem, are with you now because of your love and respect for each other? Or do you think it is the programming from your slave maker?” I gestured around the room. “We’re in Midas City, after all, the home of Silver Girl, the Lightbearer. She has the power to free any mind completely of all mind control and manipulation. With a single touch, she could burn away all the mental tampering ever done to your girls.” I held up a hand, seeing the look on his face. “Nae, hauld yer wheest. I’m not suggesting that she is coming here to do any such thing. I promised you before—no one is going to try and take your women away from you again. I’m merely asking you... if that DID occur, do you believe it would make a difference? If Patricia, and Delores, and Angela... if all of your ladies were freed from your control today, do you nae think they would choose to be with you voluntarily anyway?”

Nigel chewed his lip and thought deeply. He considered not answering as all, but in truth it was an excellent, piercing, thoughtful question, and if anyone in the world deserved a command performance from Nigel Grimalde it was the man before him, the man who had saved that very world. Finally, he spoke, “I know, in my heart of hearts, that none of these amazing women would have come to me voluntarily. And even if they had, ultimately I would have rebuffed them, Eugene. It’s a matter of trust. I just would not have been able to trust any of them. Just pick any one of them. And now provide the perfect setting for us to meet, to become friends, to fall in love. Eventually I would have poisoned the well with my paranoia, with my insane inability to rely on anyone else. That carefully cultivated paranoia. It kept me out of jail since I was a teenager. It allowed me to run a good enough grift to put me through college, grad school even. It kept even my underworld identity a secret. That paranoia was the very thing that made it impossible for me to find the love of a worthy woman.

“So now let’s fast forward to what I did after my researchers completed that mind control drug two decades ago. When I captured Delores, Angela, and Patricia, I used them for sex, partly because, well, that was how the drug works best, but mostly it was selfish lust. I was not above my base desires, much like the ocean is not above the clouds. But after I acquired them, I became responsible for them. Being my slaves changed those amazing women in many ways, some obvious, some surprising, some absolutely shocking. But being their slave owner changed me in ways that I could not even have imagined.“

“Now, to the heart of your question: What if you freed them all today? Well, each one is a separate case, really. I’m fairly certain that Patricia would forgive me and stay with me, but maybe that’s just wishful thinking. Maybe she would hate me and stay with me anyway, telling herself it were for the sake of the kids. Don’t get me wrong; she loves me! You of all people have seen how much she loves me. But I have no way of gauging how much of that is the drug and the slave training. I have hope beyond all reasonable expectation that her love and devotion are real, that they transcend our circumstances, but I can’t kid myself. The ultimate foundation of our relationship is my treachery. If she were free, I could only fall to my knees and beg for her forgiveness, with every possibility that she would rip out my heart and make me eat it.

“Now what about Delores and Angela? They would be angry, I think, but they would get over it. They would realize that their net worth is many multiples of what it would have been without me investing for them, and they’ve lived for two decades without having to spend a dime of it. I think they would come to realize ultimately that I tried to make sure they were happy. Efficient and productive, yes, but happy too. I think they’d go away for a while and sulk some, but they’d come back.

“Constance... would want to keep working for me, I think. She’s afraid of being a ‘known’ telepath. It’s like being a famous gunslinger in the Old West, either you’re the fastest, or eventually the fastest finds you and you die. Constance is not a powerful telepath. In a world with Brainstorm and Psyche and Whitewash and even Shinobi she would never measure up as a superhero. But she loves being my ‘ace in the hole’. It’s practically the perfect job for her. I think she would probably move out of my harem though. I’m too old for her really.”

I smirked at that. Ms. Yamanohana impressed me verra much. And I think perhaps Nigel underestimated the girl’s love and devotion to him. I knew a thing or two about psychics after all this time. My own issues with Eva notwithstanding, I honestly believed the girl loved Nigel just as deeply as the others, if not more. Psychics tended to bond verra strongly with their people, their friends, their family, for good or ill. How could you not, sharing your deepest thoughts and feelings with another person on a regular basis? As to not being so powerful... I’d spoke to Eva briefly about wee Constance, and she agreed with my assessment: power wasnae measured by strength alone. With a very specific and refined bit of training, training Eva had imparted to other psychics many a time, the young girl could probably hold her own with most of the psychics out there. I’d have to approach Nigel later to suggest having Eva train her in a more precise and defined use of her powers.

“As to the other girls?” Nigel continued, “The Tearbearers? Sioban and Tawnya are a bit of a mystery to me. I haven’t had as much time with them as I had for the others. Sioban, because she has spent so much time away from me; I don’t really know her as well as I know Constance, whom Sioban brought to me years after she herself came onboard. Tawnya, well, it’s only been a couple of months; we’re still getting to know each other. I have thought from time to time that they hated each other so much that it wouldn’t even matter how they might feel about me. They would have left just to get away from each other.” he chuckled softly. “But now, in no small part thanks to your daughter Katherine, they’ve actually reconciled and become closer than I thought possible. Nowadays, they sync so well, they complement each other’s strengths so completely, that I think they know that it would be a crime to let that all go.“

Nigel chuckled again, but his expression was sad. He continued, “I think they would leave me. Both with no serious hard feelings, I hope. They might even come to me or the others for advice from time to time, but they would want futures with someone closer to their own ages. In fact, I think Sioban already has her eye on... err... someone.” A strange, guarded expression crossed Nigel’s face and then was gone. “But that, ah, person... isn’t in any shape for a relationship right now.”

“Oh,” Nigel’s expression now lightened into an easy grin, “And Tawnya! She’s my son Robbie’s best friend. She’s like a big sister AND a big brother rolled into one. He idolizes her a bit. She’s even trying to teach him how to throw a curve ball. So no matter what she’d be a part of our family somehow, even without being my thrall. Sioban though, thinking about it now I suspect that Sioban’s pride would drive her away from me if she were free. She’s not a naturally submissive person, to say the least. I—the life I represent—would be an embarrassment to her. It’s one reason that I let her live apart from me for so long. I could tell that the stress of being a slave preyed on her more than on any of the rest of my harem. Maybe she would like me personally, and maybe she could stomach me in small doses, but maybe not even that.”

I nodded slightly. I’d expected pretty much that kind of a reply. I could tell, my question, the concept, the very idea of having Sarah remove his control over his ‘core’ women, his family... it scared him. Badly. It struck me yet again how very much he was like me, a man, afraid, seeking to control everything around him, wanting and needing love, and yet, deep down, not truly believing that he deserved it.

“And the others? Outside your, ah, harem?” said Eugene.

Nigel laughed. “So you know about them too, eh? I shouldn’t be surprised. My hold on most of them is pretty tenuous. Without a sexual component the drug isn’t as strong. Most of them don’t even know I have them anyway, so if they were released, they’d just go on with their lives, completely oblivious. I set them up that way on purpose. Hell, maybe the bimbo virus shook most of them loose. I’ll have to find a way to check sometime soon. Mayor Wilson in River City is the only one that could really hurt me, but she especially doesn’t know. Eugene, if you wanted to cut them loose, feel free. I don’t have any need for them anymore. If you like I could give you a complete list to give to LaSilvas. Tell her to do her worst.“

I sighed softly, considering my words. “Well, I can certainly contact her if ye wish. But Nigel, lad... those girls—the ones you care for, not the others you’ve enslaved merely for convenience sake, the ones that make up your family—their fate is up to you. I told ye before that I wouldnae interfere, and I intend to stand by it. That said... I think ye should release them from their control. You should talk it over with them... tell them what you think and feel... get their input... but for good or ill, you should break the chains that bind them. And I’ll tell you this... what I believe to the core of my being. From what I’ve seen on them and you, from what I now know of you... I would bet my entire fortune that not a single one would leave you. Including Sioban.”

“Patricia loves you... fiercely. I saw that with my own eyes. And ye dinnae get love and devotion and loyalty like that from a machine or a serum. She loves you because of the type of man you are... the kind of man you became for her. And for Angela, and Delores... for your children. I told ye about Lacie... about why I am her Master as well as her husband and partner. I believe Patty is exactly the same. If ye freed her, if wouldn’t change a thing. Serum or not, you ARE her Master because she wants and needs you to be. And the same goes for Delores and Angela. Wee Constance, she’s been in your mind constantly, and I ken from experience that if she were truly, truly repulsed by you, by what she read in the deepest parts of your psyche... she would have broken free, serum or no.”

I paused, considering. “I cannae say about your Tearbearers, as I have nae even met them at all... but if they’ve lived with you, with your other girls, they’ve seen the love and care you’ve shown them—the same love and care you’ve likely given THEM as well—I can’t imagine them wanting anything to change either... heh... aside from the rather atrocious costumes you make them wear, or perhaps the silly names you choose for their heroine identities.” I chuckled seeing the look on his face. “My point, lad, is that I think you should trust your women... believe that the faith and love they show you in genuine and not forced.” Reaching out, I placed a hand on Nigel’s arm, squeezing it gently.

“Well, Eugene, that was certainly good for my ego,” said Grimalde, “I never would have pegged you for a Pollyanna or a flatterer, but you do a pretty good job of it in a pinch—”

“IT’S NAE FLATTERY! It’s a clear-eyed, honest assessment from a man who’s a lot more like you than you realize, a man who’s been around the block once or twice. You shouldnae be so quick to dismiss me. Nigel, yer a far better man that ye think ye are. I was yer worst enemy, and even I can see it. Maybe it’s time you started realize it yerself.”

Nigel was clearly embarrassed by my... evaluation... of his character. He looked away, making a show of checking the time on his phone. “On that note, Eugene, I’m afraid I’ll have to be going.” He glanced up at me again. “Look, ah, I’m in town for a few days. I’ll be back, you know, to visit...” He squeezed my shoulder, buddy-like, “as often as I can.”

On the way out, he paused at the door and brandished that wry grin that I had come to realize was his “fair warning system”. He was about to crack wise. “You know,” he said, “if you were to say that last bit—the ‘worst enemy’ thing—in front of Parker, you two might finally come to blows. I’m sure the boy is quite convinced that he’s my worst enemy. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if he were ready to fight you for the title.“

I sighed softly. Parker. Aye... I wasn’t looking forward to talking to him about things once I was released. I’d fairly pissed him off throughout this entire affair, and I ken well enough for the reasons behind his hatred of Nigel... but... “Ye ken, Nigel,” I said just before the door closed, “the thing about Parker Albinn is... the lad wears his heart on his sleeve. He’s quick to anger and slow to forgive... and once he sets his mind to something, he’ll see it through to the bloody end, come hell or high water. But in the same way... if ye two every managed to settle your differences, and bury the hatchet, you’ll nae find a more loyal, trustworthy, or dependable friend in the entire world.” I sighed. It was probably a pipe dream, thinking those two could ever find a way to coexist, but it would certainly make things better, for all of us, but especially for Patty and Parker both.

Nigel paused, rubbing his chin lightly, remembering Parker’s words before he decked him after saving him from the fire more than a week ago. “I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you,” he said ruefully, shrugging, “but who knows? Stranger things have happened. Now get some rest, old man. I’ll see you later...”