The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Fake News

Chapter I: Ridiculous

“Hey, did you hear that Hailey Hart is single now?”

Vanessa cocked one eyebrow at her best friend. She should have known better. “I don’t watch reality-show drivel, Bex.”

“Okay, first, Big Brother is not drivel,” replied Rebecca in mock offense. “And secondly, you don’t have to watch the show to keep tabs on the contestants.“

“Fair enough. And yet, I still don’t care enough to keep tabs on them anyway.” Both girls giggled. It was a nice, sunny autumn day, which gave them the perfect excuse to walk together to the humanities building. Not that they needed one; even if the gentle breeze had been a face-numbing frost and the auburn leaves had all vacated their branches, the pair would certainly still be chatting it up. They’d only known each other three years, but they were such fast friends in their freshman year at university that their bond seemed unshakable even now.

“Okay, fine. Be the boring one.”

“Changing the world is not boring!” Vanessa countered. “When I’m an influential senator signing all sorts of bills, I’ll let you be my secretary and sign all the form letters to my constituents. And babies.”

“Signing letters to babies? And I’m the one who’s unrealistic?” Another giggle.

“You know what I mean!” Vanessa playfully punched her friend’s arm. “But luckily, I’m always prepared. If my career in congress doesn’t pan out, I have a plan B.”

“Oh?” Becky asked, curious. “And what’s that?”

“Well, singing backup for you on your debut album tour, Miss Pop Star Sensation!” She stretched out one arm and slowly waved her palm in front of her, as if her hand were a paintbrush gently revealing a broad stroke of the most brilliant image. “I can see it now: Bex Lucida Live, ten million fans screaming your name, and me behind you with a microphone.”

“What a wonderful dream. Too bad you couldn’t sing on key even with the most advanced auto-tune.”

“Hey, what’s the point of a dream if I can’t make myself out to be better than reality?”

“Ooh, score one for the Nessie!” Becky smiled. “Anyway, see you after class?”

“Definitely.” And with that, the girls hugged and parted ways, Rebecca heading to the philosophy class she chose as an elective, and Vanessa opening the door to the Citizenship & Identity course fundamental to her major.

That night, Vanessa couldn’t sleep. It wasn’t unusual, as she’d often had trouble with insomnia. She had so many ideas about how the world could be better, and writing them down only kept her awake longer. It was like her brain was in overdrive. But tonight was a little different. Instead of world-changing brainstorm sessions, the thing keeping her from sleeping was a desire to read the latest gossip. Which was weird, because like she’d told Bex earlier that day, she never cared much about celebrity rumors.

Still, if it’d help her sleep, Vanessa figured it wouldn’t hurt to just check out a quick read on the Up & Coming tabloid website. When she did, she found herself captivated. Bex had been right: Hailey Hart was single! And after two years with her current boyfriend, too. What a shame! She seemed like such a nice girl, and she didn’t deserve to be lonely. Ah, well, time for bed. After that, Vanessa slept soundly, no thoughts buzzing in her brain to keep her awake.

The next day, Vanessa arrived at the lecture hall for her Constitutional Law class. She found a seat and began unpacking her book bag: a tablet PC with a stylus, the class’s massive textbook, two notebooks, and two freshly sharpened pencils (in case her battery died and she had to start taking notes the old-fashioned way). The lecture began like normal, with the professor discussing the previous week’s assignment and then leading into the day’s discussion. But by the time he mentioned the second landmark court case, she found her mind wandering.

Man, it’s so sad about Hailey Hart, she thought. I can’t imagine why anyone would dump such a sweetheart. I know the article speculated that she cheated on her boyfriend, but I can’t believe she’d do that! On the other hand, it’s not like the papers could report something that’s not true, right? The whole idea of “fake news” is ridiculous; if the article said she’d cheated, then she must have, right?

“Now, the second amendment has been gathering quite the controversy in the media these days.” Oh, right, the lecture. Vanessa forced herself to focus. “And we all should know by now that it’s the Supreme Court’s job to interpret the Constitution—if you don’t, then please exit the classroom now as I fear you’re a lost cause.” Everyone laughed, while the professor just smirked. “So would anyone like to tell me how they might interpret the second amendment?”

Vanessa’s hand shot up, as usual. When the professor called “Ms. Green?", she started, “The Bill of Rights was written by people fighting off a tyrannical... a, uh...” I can’t believe Hailey cheated! I thought she was such a nice woman, but to do that? Puh, clearly she’s not!

“Ms. Green? Feel free to finish your thought any day now.”

“Uh, right, sorry.” She shook her head with eyes closed. “It was written by people fighting off a tyrannical government. They were literally normal citizens against an entire army and navy, so for them, arming themselves was the only way they could survive. But things have changed, and we’re not stuck with muskets anymore. The Founding Fathers would roll over in their graves if they knew about semi-automatic... semi—...” And I wanted to like Hailey so badly! “...semi-automatic rifles being available to teenagers. So, uh... achem,” she cleared her throat in a vague attempt to clear her head. “So I’d say that from that context, plus the phrasing of a ‘well-regulated militia’ in the amendment’s text, it shouldn’t be interpreted to be a broad blanket allowance of all sorts of firearms to all sorts of people.“

“Well said, Ms. Green. And there are many people who would agree with you. However, can anyone offer an opposing interpretation, not just for the sake of argument but actually backed up by the history and context of the Constitution as Ms. Green just has?”

“I don’t get it, Bex.” Vanessa sat on her padded desk chair, venting to her friend who was lying on her bed, head upside-down over the edge and hair hanging to the floor. “I just completely spaced out. In the middle of a sentence! That’s totally not like me.”

“Okay, so the first thing to do is stop beating yourself up about it, Nessie.” Becky twisted her inverted arm to try and comfort her friend with a palm on her thigh, but the gesture just became an awkward tangle of arm bones that didn’t quite bend in the proper orientation. “Everyone spaces out sometimes.”

“But—”

“And the second thing you need to do,” Becky interrupted, “is take a break.“

“A break?”

“Yeah, a break. Relax. Have fun. Any of those concepts sound at all familiar to you?”

“Of course, but—”

“You’re burnt out, Nessie!” Becky sat up straight, cross-legged, and looked her friend in the eyes. “You’ve been so focused on your classes and your career prep that you’ve stressed yourself out and now you’re overworked. If you want to get your brain back to 100%, you need to take my advice and Live. A. Little.”

Vanessa sighed. “Okay, fine. And as the world’s leading authority on living life to the fullest,” she said, eyes rolling, “how would you propose I do that?”

Suddenly, a twinkle appeared in Bex’s eyes. “I know just the place...”

“I can’t believe we’re at a bar on a school night.” The smoky atmosphere seemed not only to dim the lights around them, but somehow to muffle the rock music blasting from the pub’s speaker system. “And such a loud one, too.”

“’School night’?” Becky shook her head solemnly. “You’re not 12, Nessie, and you don’t even have any classes until Monday anyway! Remember why we took no-weekend schedules in the first place?”

“Uh, because you complained at my face until I did it?”

“RIGHT! And it was so we could have fun nights like this.”

“Fun nights of watching bad singers sing worse karaoke in a sleazy bar?”

“Correction: fun nights of being bad singers singing worse karaoke in sleazy bar. I think there’s like three people ahead of us, then we’re up to rock out to Pink! It’ll either loosen you up or make you vomit, and no one here would judge you either way. Look around: they’ve seen it all. Worldly folk, they are.” She held out her arms and did a short pirouette.

Vanessa followed orders and took a look at the bar’s patrons. Everyone definitely looked like the sleazy type, though she always tried not to judge people by their appearance. The large biker in the black leather jacket with a beard to rival Santa’s. The scrawny guy in coke-bottle glasses and a suit drowning his first-world sorrows in alcohol. The punk rock crew with the most stereotypical piercings and brightly colored mohawks playing billiards. And then, mid-inspection, she saw someone that caught her eye. “Wait, Bex! I think I know that guy! He’s in one of my classes.”

Bex turned her head to glance at the twenty-something sitting on the opposite end of the bar, drinking what looked like a piña colada alone. “So go say hi! Unless...” she squinted at her friend’s sudden reluctance. “...you’re attracted to him, aren’t you?” She giggled.

“No! I mean... okay, fine, maybe a little. But like you said, I’m not 12. I can make adult decisions about my own love life, thank you.”

“Uh, no, you can’t, clearly. You’re so shy, and it’s holding you back. Go chat him up, woman!”

“I barely even know him! I don’t think I’ve said two words to him, ever.”

“What do you think flirting is for, Ness? To get to know each other. And then maybe to bang each other and say ‘thanks, bye’ in the morning. Or maybe that’s just me. You’re definitely more of the ‘just get to know each other type’.” Vanessa raised one eyebrow. “Anyway, yeah, I’m going to head to the Little Life Coach’s room, and when I come back, if you’re not over there with him, I swear I’m dedicating ‘Careless Whisper’ to you two on the mic, very publicly.“

Vanessa groaned as Becky headed off to the restroom, but didn’t move. She didn’t want to talk to this guy. Well, okay, maybe a part of her did, but she was definitely not the kind of person to flirt with a guy at a bar, and she didn’t want to become that. What if she became a cheating whore like Hailey? Wait, what? Did she just use celebrity gossip as an example of behavioral morality to herself? Maybe she did need a break after all...

She glanced up at the televisions over the bar. Some were showing some football game, some were airing adverts, and some were showing the news. Just as she noticed the screens had closed captioning for anyone who wanted to read what was being said on the muted sets, a word caught her eye: “Vanessa”. She focused on one news anchor and followed the captioning intently. “Vanessa Green is a confident woman, though some have called her occasionally slutty.” Did the news just... say her name? And called her a slut? Just like in class earlier, she shut her eyes tightly and shook her head hard. When she checked the screen again, she expected it to reveal that it had been her imagination, and of course they didn’t mention her... but instead, she saw the words, “Vanessa Green is a confident slut.” She was so focused on the words that she barely even registered the video clip playing behind them.

Wh...why are they reporting on me? That doesn’t make sense. And calling me a slut? But I’m not a slut! She felt indignity creeping up on her, and yet somehow, as quickly as it grew, the feeling faded. But they can’t report things on the news that aren’t true. The whole idea of “fake news” is ridiculous. So if the news anchor said, on the air, that Vanessa Green was a confident slut... then I must be a confident slut, right? She didn’t feel like a slut, and she didn’t feel very confident, either. But she couldn’t deny what the news had said. Maybe this is what confidence felt like, and she just never knew? And maybe being a slut was a good thing?

Armed with her new knowledge of her own confidence (and sluttiness), Vanessa sauntered over to the guy from class. Well, she tried to saunter, but having never seduced anyone before, it became more of an awkward duck-walk. But as the boy looked up from his drink at her, he didn’t seem to mind. In fact, he smiled at her. Damn right, Vanessa thought confidently, you know you like this slut.

She finally reached him and held out her hand. “Hi, I’m Vanessa. I think you’re in my Civics class?”

He laughed and took her hand for a shake. “Uh, yeah. I sit like two seats behind you usually. I’m Gabe.” She sat on the stool next to him, but didn’t really know what to say next. She was just starting to feel uncomfortable at the silence when he thankfully broke it. “Can I... buy you a drink?”

“Sure. Anything you like, stud.” He choked back a reactionary chortle, and Vanessa felt the need to apologize. “Oh, my God, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to... come on so strongly...”

“No, it’s fine,” Gabe replied. Then to the bartender he said, “Another piña colada for the lady.” He turned back to his new companion. “So, why’s a girl like you taking a Civics class?”

“I’m a poli-sci major. I want to change the world one day from a senate seat.”

“Well, that’s certainly an honorable goal. What do you think—mmph!” His sentence was cut short as Vanessa suddenly smashed her lips onto his. At first he pushed her away, but after a second of consideration, he leaned back in and they were tongue-wrestling in no time.

Vanessa didn’t really know what had made her do it. Here was this guy who seemed like a perfect gentleman, wanting to talk to her about her career and about a topic of interest they both had in common... yet all she wanted to do was make out with him. So she went for it, with only minimal hesitation, and luckily he seemed to like the idea as well.

Just as she’d begun rubbing his crotch through his jeans and feeling oddly proud at the erection she felt, they were broken up by a loud voice shouting, “Woah, hey! Hey, Nessie, what’s up?” Becky had returned and was standing behind her. She smiled awkwardly and waved at Gabe, who just as awkwardly smiled and nodded. “Ness, can I talk to you alone for a second?”

Vanessa wiped her bottom lip with her thumb, held up one finger to Gabe, and allowed Bex to pull her by the arm to a slightly more secluded spot. “What’s up, Bex?”

“What the hell is going on?”

Vanessa was confused. “Um... I was coming onto Gabe, like you pressured me to do?”

“I know I said you need to have some fun, but I also said you’re not the bang-and-bust type, either. Sometimes that’s a good thing! So what’s up, Casanova Femme?”

“I don’t know. Maybe I’m just more confident and slutty than you thought.”

“’Confident and slu—’ Shit, Ness, how much have you had to drink? Alright, that’s it, I’m doing my Best Friend duty and walking you home to sleep it off.”

“What about Gabe?”

“You’ll see him around campus. Hopefully sober. Trust me, you will thank me in the morning. Say bye-bye to your boytoy, Miss Confident Slut.”

And so she did, though she also watched Becky facepalm as she mimed fellatio to him on her way out. He seemed to get a laugh out of it, though, so it was worth it.

Saturday morning, Vanessa woke to a knock on her dorm room door, quickly followed by the sound of it unlocking and Becky—the only other person who had a key to her room—barging in. “RISE AND SHINE, GOOD MORNING, WAKEY WAKEY!” she yelled.

Vanessa yawned and stretched. “Hey. Why are you screaming?”

“I figured you’d be hung over to hell after last night, so I thought I’d mess with you a little.” She grinned and sat on the bed next to her friend.

Vanessa rubbed her bleary eyes. “Actually, I feel fine. No headache, no stomach problems. Nothing wrong, really. I don’t even remember drinking that much last night, to be honest.”

“Damn, you can’t even remember how much you drank, but you’re not hungover at all? I wish my body worked as well as yours, seriously. Speaking of bodies, do you remember what you did last night?”

“Yeah...” Vanessa finally opened her eyes to the morning light and looked Bex in the face. “I started to seduce Gabe, and then you broke us up. I remember that clearly.”

“Started? Girl, you were pouncing on him like a cat on a tuna fish. Trust me, I stopped you just in time to prevent you from doing something you’d regret.”

Regret? Why would she regret it? The news had said she was a confident slut, and if being a slut was a bad thing, why would they say that about her? That would be slander, and no news station would risk that. It must be true. So why was Bex acting like it was so terrible? Unless... news had to be interpreted, just like the law? Maybe she had misinterpreted the journalistic language when she thought she learned about her being a slut?

“Uh, yeah... maybe you’re right, Bex. Thanks for stopping me?”

“Hey, what are friends for?”

The rest of the day was spent relaxing and just hanging out: Phase Two of Becky’s “relax and live a little” master plan. Around noon, after they’d eaten a decent-ish lunch at the sort-of-okay dining hall, the two grabbed some portable speakers to plug into their phones and headed out to the grassy knoll near the quad to just lie down, stare at the sky, talk, and listen to some internet radio. During a lull in the conversation, the music went to an advert break, then returned to the DJ’s voice. “Breaking news: Vanessa Green can’t go one day without having a dick in one of her holes. Local authorities say it doesn’t matter which hole, she just needs a dick in one every day. Now, here’s One Way Jose with their new single, ‘Say It Like It Hurts’.” Then the music resumed.

“Wha—Bex, did they just say what I think they said?”

“Huh?” Becky asked, disoriented. “Sorry, I must have dozed off for a second. What happened, hon?”

“Never mind...” If Bex was asleep, she clearly hadn’t heard anything. But Vanessa had heard it clearly: the DJ had said that, according to the news, she couldn’t go a day without having a dick inside her. He even went into detail about how it didn’t matter which hole! There was no way to misinterpret that. And of course, the whole idea of “fake news” was ridiculous. But now it all made sense, and she understood where she’d gone wrong the night before. The news hadn’t lied (of course), and she was a slut, but being a slut wasn’t about ambushing a guy in a bar. It was just about having a dick inside her every day. “Anyway, Bex, I’m going to get Gabe’s dick inside me tonight.“

Her friend sat up and looked concerned. “Uh, what?”

“I’m making a move on Gabe tonight.”

“Yeah, that part’s fine, and you go girl and all that... just, don’t move too fast, Nessie. I don’t want you to regret anything.”

“I won’t, don’t worry. I’ll move just as fast as I should. I’m the realistic one, remember?”

“That is true...” replied Becky, though she still sounded unconvinced.

“Besides, you’re the one who thought I should chat him up.”

“Hey,” she said, holding up both palms in an “I’m innocent” pose, “don’t blame me for things.”

“It’s not blame. Consider it... a thank you.” And with that, the silence resumed, and the girls listened to their favorite band together. Every once in awhile, though, Vanessa could swear she saw Becky glance at her out of the corner of her eye, as though she were worried about something Vanessa just couldn’t understand.