The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Hero of the Day

by J. Darksong

* * *

(Chapter 2: Down in a Hole)

Sand rains down, and here I sit... I’m too weak to stand. I can barely keep my eyes open... head is splitting... shit, this hurts... for a moment, I think maybe it would have been better if I had simply died that night back at the hotel... numb... very numb... abnormally numb... how the hell can I HURT and yet be numb?

And deaf...

No... not deaf... just stunned. After an eternity—or a few seconds, either one—chaos fades and reality returns.

I’m standing... well, squatting, in the middle of a very large crater, in the remains of the City Hall Records room. It takes a second or two to recall how I came to be here, and another second to realize the squeaking and squealing sounds around me are the rest of the office staff, the hostages that had been trapped inside the room. A quick glance tells me all I need to know... they’re dirty, singed, scared shitless, and—ewwww, well, ALMOST shitless—but otherwise alive and well.

Sometimes crazy last-minutes acts and desperation actually work. Who knew?

“Hey, Lieutenant, look! We got survivors in here!”

Strong hands grabbed my shoulders then, lifting me and the others our of the slight depression the explosion caused. Gratefully, I let the surge of blackness dancing at the corner of my eyes sweep in, knowing we were safe now, all in good hands...

* * *

The man in the black cloak studied the chessboard before him for several moments, walking around the table to peer at it from both sides. The entire room was dark, just as he wished it, aside from the chessboard itself, illuminated by the light of a single lamp shining down from directly overhead. His eyes widened slightly, in surprise. “Interesting. Very interesting. Not a move I would have considered myself... but it DOES take you out of check, and saves several other pieces as well.” The white Knight rose, seemingly of its own accord, knocking over the black Rook threatening the white King. The cloaked man smiled wickedly, long sharp pointed teeth glistening slightly in the dim illumination.

“This may prove to be an interesting game after all. While my goal is still to take the white Queen, removing this Knight might prove an entertaining diversion.”

He turned, his left hand picking up the phone from its cradle a microsecond before ringer could ring. “Let me guess,” he spoke into the receiver, “Mr. Faulkner failed to live up to expectations?” The voice on the other end, if surprised by his inside knowledge, hid it well. “Don’t let it concern you. It was merely an unexpected play, nothing more. It’s what makes the game fun, after all... unexpected maneuvers. It doesn’t matter. Stage five continues on as planned. However... concerning this... white Knight that’s intruded in my little game... let’s see if we can’t put him back in check. I have just the ploy to put him where we want him...”

* * *

“How’re you doing, champ?”

When I open my eyes again later, I feel much better. Nodding slightly, wincing at the dizziness such a maneuver invokes, I manage a sheepish, “Not too bad, all things considered. What did I miss?”

Lieutenant Steele sighed. “Well, apart from the stuff you already know, not much. City Hall was pretty much totaled in the blast. The bomber, one Leroy James Faulkner, blew himself up, and tried to take you and the hostages with him. The mayor and his daughters escaped before the explosion... and somehow or another, you managed to save all of the hostages’ lives.”

“So, they’re all okay?”

“Believe it or not, yeah,” Steel replied, stepping aside. Behind him, several dirty and disheveled people sat on the sidewalk, some being attended to by emergency rescue workers. “Just a few cuts, scrapes, and first degree burns.” He shook his head. “Damnedest thing I’ve ever seen. When the building went up... well, for a minute there... we all thought you were... you know...”

I nodded in agreement. “Hey, so did I! I’m still not even sure how the hell it worked!”

“What did you do?”

“Well... my power is sound, right, but its more than JUST sound waves. Its concussive force... kinetic energy. When—what’s his name again? Leroy?—when he walked into the hallway holding that second detonator, with that crazed look on his face, I knew I had no time left, and no options. But then, I had this really wild idea... what if I could make an explosion of my own? An explosion of SOUND... to counteract the explosion that wacko was setting off?”

The idea was fairly simple, in theory, anyway. The same way I set up a counter-sound energy field around the door when I snuck in to keep any sounds from carrying back to Leroy, I poured all my energy into generating a huge, massive counter-sound blast, just like with the door, only much bigger. I’d thought about trying something like that ever since the night Omega Girl and I made our way through that skyscraper, floor by floor, to take on Dr. Matthews, aka, Dr. Feelgood. She’d used the same technique with her Omega Energy, creating a blast that stunned everyone in the room, including me.

“Anyway,” I continued, “I zipped into the room, into the center of the group of hostages, and let loose with the biggest, loudest Sonic Blast I could, in all directions, like a huge bubble.” I shrugged. “Never tried it before... had no idea if it would work or not... but, well, it did. Go, me!”

Steele gaped at me for a long moment, then laughed, shaking his head. “Well, Sonic, I guess my daddy was right. Sometimes it IS better to be lucky than good.”

“Where is he? Where is—oh, there he is!”

We glanced up to see the Mayor pushing his way through the crowd to get to me. Following close behind him were the Chief of Police, the Commissioner, and the District Attorney. Cool, I thought, starting to smile. It’s always nice when you rescue important political figures. I wonder if he’ll throw a parade in my honor...

“Lieutenant Steele, arrest him!”

Maybe even a medal—what?!?

“Excuse me, Sir?” Lieutenant Steele asked, voicing my own confusion. “Did you just say... arrest him?”

“You heard the Mayor, Lieutenant,” Commissioner Bridges parroted. “Arrest that red-suited vigilante this instant!”

“Huh? Why? I just saved your life?!?!” I shouted angrily.

“And caused millions of dollars of property damage doing it!” the Mayor shouted back. “Look at my office! Ruined! All the city’s tax records, all the hard copies of the police files—destroyed!”

Okay, this was DEFINITELY not going the way I’d planned it. Sure, I figured they might be kinda upset about the building blowing up, and all... but that wasn’t MY fault! I didn’t set off the detonator... and heck, if it wasn’t for me, everyone would have been blown up with the building! Talk about gratitude!

“Sir, I must point out,” Steel said stiffly, coming to my aid, “if not for Super Sonic’s quick thinking and bravery, you and all of the hostages would likely be dead right now... and the building would STILL be destroyed!”

“Nonsense!” Interim Chief of Police Daryl Thomas spoke up. “We were fully prepared to meet his demands, if all else failed, Steel. It was ill advised calling this CHILD in to handle something like this in the first place! Our hostage negotiator has talked down more desperate men than this guy—”

“No, Sir,” Steele cut in again. Damn, but I loved this guy! “With all due respect to you all, NONE of you were here on the scene! The kidnapper was definitely unbalanced. He proved he was serious about killing people when he shot that hostage in the head, then dumped the body out the front door! One of our sharpshooters said he wore a vest of C4 underneath his jacket, just in case we tried to take him in! No... I’m afraid I have to disagree. If Super Sonic hadn’t acted as he had, thing could have been worse... much much worse.”

Of all the people I’ve known in my life, very few, besides my family members, have ever stuck up for me. I was pretty close to having a tear-jerker moment, listening to this hard-ass, straight-arrow, tough-as-nails cop go out on a limb for me, telling his superiors that they were way out of line, and that I was a hero. In a city this size, where there are entire DISTRICTS that are crooked, its pretty darn amazing to find someone not in tights and a cape who’s willing to put themselves in harm’s way for someone else.

“Well, your OPINION is duly noted... lieutenant,” Mayor Penfield replied, emphasizing Steele’s rank. “But the facts of the matter still stand. City Hall was destroyed... and our so-called Super Hero here failed to prevent it. Through his negligence, millions of dollars of damage has been done, millions that will have to come from the city treasury. That means another tax increase... and you KNOW how much the people love it when you hike up the taxes! And I don’t even want to go into the number of important documents and case files that were destroyed...”

Suddenly it occurred to me why all the really GOOD supers always flew off after they took down the bad guy. It wasn’t so much that they wanted to avoid all the praise and fan worship—it was to avoid the people from the tax assesor’s office coming by with a bill for the damage! I almost laughed, despite the seriousness of the situation. I nearly kill myself, running, not walking, into harm’s way to save his life... and the life of his office staff... and all he can think about is how much money it’ll cost him to rebuild his office! Heh. No wonder Omega Girl cracked under the strain... things like this almost make we want to relocate somewhere... like Silver Springs, or Dolores...

“...would expect from someone of your age and lack of experience, anyway!” the Mayor continued on. “So I’m passing a summary judgment. Super Sonic, you are hereby prohibited from performing any acts of ‘heroism’ within the city limits! Your registration is terminated as of this moment. Any interference in police matters will be considered a criminal act, and you will be labeled a vigilante. Do I make myself clear, young man?”

Young man? Again with the kiddie references. “You know what, pops?” I spit back at him. “You want it, you got it! The next time some super powered maniac storms into town, flinging fire and lightning from his fingertips, you’re more than welcome to deal with it yourself! With the way these jokers keep coming out of the woodwork, I suggest you get your long john pajamas out of the hamper! Oh, and don’t sit around waiting for Omega Girl or Armor Man, or any of the ‘first string’ Supers to come to your aid either. I happen to know they’re all as fucking pissed off at this lack of gratitude as I am... else one of THEM would have come instead of me!” Nodding to Steele, I make my way through the crowd, into the parking lot. Standing beside the Mayor’s limo, I glance back at him. Unable to resist the urge, I turn back to him once more.

“Oh, and one last thing, Penfield. I didn’t vote for you!” With that, I streaked forward, hitting my top speed out of the parking lot, noting with satisfaction that the wake I kicked up rolled his limo over into its side.

* * *

“Oh come on, Parker, its not THAT bad.”

I sighed wearily, leaning back deeper into my chair. Aunt Eva, looking the tiniest bit more rested, placed her hands on my shoulders. “So what if you’re no a ‘legally recognized hero’ anymore? That doesn’t make you any less of a hero, now, does it?” When I didn’t reply, she tsk-tsked. “Now, don’t be cross. I’m sure the mayor’s office staff are all VERY grateful for you... not to mention Jasmine and Jennifer.”

I blinked. “Who and who?”

“Jasmine and Jennifer Penfield. The mayor’s twin daughters.”

“Oh.” I remembered the faces... and the bodies, if not the names. I was, after all, a bit distracted at the time.

“Maybe you’d feel better if you had the chance to interact a bit with some of the people you saved,” Aunt Eva recommended. “For you, right now, they’re pretty much just part of the nameless masses that you risked your life to protect. It’s kind of hard to feel appreciated when you never even get to meet the people who’s lives you’ve changed so dramatically.”

I merely sighed again. I felt almost as if I were still down in that hole, covered in dirt and dust and grime, half-buried, and half-scorched. I wouldn’t say Super Sonic was my whole identity... but yes, it was a big part of who I was... who I am. After all the good I’d done for this city, to be told I was no longer wanted... that if I put on the costume again within the city limits I’d be treated as a criminal myself... it was a bitter pill to swallow. Suddenly, the whole world seemed to be twisted, turned upside-down.

And I began to wonder... maybe the building being blown up WAS my fault.

I mean... yeah, I took the guy down... destroyed the detonator, practically blew off his hand. But instead of subduing him while I had the chance, I went after the hostages. I mean... how was I supposed to know he’d have a second detonator unit hidden upstairs? How in hell could I know he wouldn’t pass out from the pain and blood loss, that he’d actually go upstairs, get a replacement detonator, come back downstairs again, and blow himself and the building up again, just to spite me?

I frowned, remembering the crazed look on his face, as he pressed the button. Something about it seemed so... wrong, somehow.

“Well,” Eva said after a moment, getting to her feet, “if you’d like to meet them both, you could some with me to my office.”

“Huh?” I said, jerked back to the present. “Who? The twins?”

“After the incident, the mayor insisted that they both receive counseling... ‘to help them deal with the trauma of the stressful situation’.” Eva shook her head. “Personally, they seem just fine, a little shaken up, perhaps, but definitely dealing with it better than their father.”

I grimaced at the thought of Mayor Penfield... but my displeasure faded completely as I pictured the image of his two daughters. I glanced over at Roni, still sleeping peacefully, then sighed softly. Okay... guilt creeping in. But, I mean, it’s just therapy, for me, right? Aunt Eva thinks spending time with some of the... lovely young women I’d rescued might break me out of my funk. And, well, its not as if there’s anything formal between Roni and me... hell, there’s nothing informal either... we’re barely even casual friends!

Getting to my feet as well, I decided to follow auntie to work. “Alright, I’m coming too. Who knows? A little hero worship might just\ hit the spot right about now.”

* * *

“Good afternoon, ladies,” Aunt Eva said brightly, standing up as the door opened. “Jennifer, Jasmine, this is my nephew, Parker Albinn. Parker, allow me to introduce Jennifer and Jasmine Penfield.”

A smile had permanently creased my face at the sight of them. Twins... one with dark brown hair, the other with golden blonde locks, but otherwise utterly identical. From Aunt Eva, I’d learned they were both my age, twenty-two, just finished with grad school. They were dressed alike, in short yellow sleeveless tops and short white skirts that ended halfway up the thigh. Their feet were clad in matching white sandals, and they each carried a white purse, though each held it in a different arm. Two slender hands rose up in welcome, and, still smiling like an idiot, I shook them both.

“Hi, nice to meet you,” Jasmine said with a grin.

“Yeah, same here,” Jennifer replied, echoing the sentiment.

Suddenly, the temperature in the room seemed to heat up a few degrees. My mouth suddenly filled itself with cotton, and I found myself unable to speak. I nodded woodenly, standing slightly to the side, trying to hide my growing arousal as I headed for the door.

“Please wait for me outside in the waiting room, Parker dear,” Eva said smoothly, covering my awkwardness. Missus and Missus Penfield are my last clients for the day.”

Sitting there in the waiting room gave me time for my embarrassment to fade. Sometimes it was very unnerving. Whenever I found myself around a beautiful attractive girl, I always found myself getting tongue-tied. My hands and feet stopped working, and the connection between my brain and my mouth short-circuited. But it wasn’t as if I were a virgin! I mean, I was experienced... heck, I even had the satisfaction of knowing I literally FUCKED that werewolf babe Madame Lupa into submission last year.

Of course, I was in my Super Sonic persona, at the time.

Oh, God... is that my problem? Am I locked into the whole ‘duality of roles’ thing? I can’t possibly have the whole geeky, nerdy Clark-Kent-without-the-glasses mojo going on when I’m Parker... can I? Let’s think about this... when I faced Ice Queen, Ultra Girl, Shinobi... when I found Lupa, Omega Girl, and Aunt Eva—er... okay, better SKIP Aunt Eva, just delete that one from my mind, the LAST thing I need is to revisit the whole fantasy of taking my mother’s sister... anyway, when I faced them, I was always calm, cool, and collected... even when at a disadvantage, I kept my head. I didn’t turn into a smiling, drooling, ham fisted idiot.

And... as myself? Well... um... okay, truthfully, the only attractive woman I’ve been comfortable around as just me, er, other than my own relatives, is Veronica... and that was only AFTER that first fateful meeting when I practically bowled into her.

Not an impressive track record.

So why is it that everything is so much easier when I’m wearing the mask? What does a piece of red felt fabric have to do with making it easier to act and talk like a rational person rather than a bumbling buffoon around women? I’ve always heard that the clothes make the man, but this seems a bit much.

Sighing deeply, I lean back into the cushioned chair, closing my eyes, and letting my sonic senses extend. If I can’t enjoy an honest straight-forward relationship with a woman, I might as well enjoy myself as a voyeur.

“...been two days since the incident now, have there been any new developments? Anything you feel like mentioning, anything noteworthy?” Aunt Eva’s voice asked in that calm, soothing, slightly disinterested voice she used with her patients.

“Well, nothing exactly... noteworthy,” one of the girls—Jennifer, I think—replied. “I don’t know if even means anything... but I had that dream again last night... the one I told you about yesterday?”

“The one where you wake up naked, tied to the bed in a dark room?”

“Ye...yeah,” she answered, embarrassment and hesitation evident in her voice. “The same one. As before.”

“Exactly the same?” Aunt Eva pressed.

A slight hesitation, then, “Well, the ending changed. It still starts the same way... I’m tied up to the bed, helpless, vulnerable, unable to move, let alone escape. This guy steps in out of the shadows... but not quite, as if the shadows kinda... stick to him. It’s like he’s there standing over me, glaring down at me, but I can’t really see him... he’s all black and grey... shadowy... except his eyes. I can see his eyes clearly, staring down at me, like he’s seeing through me. I stare into his eyes, and I feel myself begin to drift, like he’s hypnotizing me... drawing me in. I feel frozen... unable to look away... unable to even blink... and then I feel his hands, cold cold hands, touching me... stroking my naked skin... I want to whimper, to cry out, to move away... but all I can do is stare into his dark... cold... eyes...”

“Yes, Jennifer, that was what you said before. But how was this dream different?”

“Oh... um... well, this time... at the point where I’m just about to lose myself to him... the point where I’m about to submit... there’s a loud crash... the dark man looks left, tearing his gaze way from mine... and I look left as well. The room, I said before, it’s dark, nearly pitch black, but after the sound, there’s a huge hole in the wall... and standing there, surrounded by light, is... well... my hero.”

Her hero? Could it be...?

“He’s dressed in red...” Jennifer continues a moment later, her voice soft, nearly a whisper. “He’s bright, very bright... almost shining. His light... it’s hard to see him exactly... he’s really kind of hazy, just like the dark man... but instead of darkness, he’s cloaked in red light... he speaks... yelling at the shadow man... but I can’t understand the words... can’t quite hear what he’s saying. They fight, light and dark, brightness and shadow... but all too soon its over... and the dark man runs off, sinking back into the shadows... and then it’s just me and my hero... my bright scarlet flame... he looks down at me... and I lose myself in HIS eyes this time... eyes that shine... mmmmmm... so bright... so deep... not cold and dark, these eyes... no... so warm... and bright...”

My breath caught. She was dreaming about me! While I had no idea who the shadowy man might be, there weren’t very many red dressed heroes running around these days. So... I was on her mind. Cool... but, it was still my alter ego that had crept into her fantasies, not the REAL me. Not plain old Parker Albinn. sigh. Oh well. Such is life...

“And what about you, Jasmine?” my Aunt prompted after a few minutes. “Have you had any troubling dreams since the incident?”

“No, not really. I sleep pretty well, unless Jenn wakes me up with her snoring.” She laughed. “Seriously, though, I haven’t really had any problems. Yeah, I was a bit freaked when it all happened, but honestly, all things considered, I really wasn’t that worried. I mean, this city is full of Supers! Chances were pretty good that someone would show up to rescue us.” She sighed deeply. “Actually, I was even a little disappointed. I’d kinda hoped Omega Girl would be the one to rescue me... ah, us... rescue us.”

Disappointed? Geez, she makes it sound like being held hostage by a madman with a C4 vest and an itchy trigger finger is no big deal! I’m surprised she didn’t sit back down and tie herself back in the chair to wait for someone else to rescue her! Sheesh! Of all the... well fine... we’ll see who rushes to YOUR rescue the next time you find yourself in trouble...

“So, you’re not having dreams similar to your sister, then?”

“No, nothing like that.”

“Have you noticed... any unusual effects of your recent trauma... and undue stress or anxiety, any uncomfortable feelings at all, anything that you couldn’t explain?”

“No, no, and no,” Jasmine finished brightly. “Like I said before, if you live in the big city, you learn to expect and deal with these kinds of things happening. I’m not saying I wasn’t scared shitless at the time, but now that its over... well, its just one of those things. Either you deal with it and go on with your life, or you drive yourself crazy, thinking that at any moment the boogeyman is going to jump out at you.”

“Well, Jasmine, it sounds like you and your sister have chosen the former, I’m very glad to say.”

I grinned. It was very true. Life has a way of dumping on you when you least expect it, and you either let it crush you, or you let it make you stronger. It was nice to know I wasn’t the only one to think so.

Leaning back in my chair again, I let the conversation fade back into the background. Yeah, I still felt a little bummed by having my license pulled, but Aunt Eva was right—it felt a hell of a lot better knowing that I had made a difference in someone’s life, and knowing I was appreciated... though it seemed one of the sisters seemed to think more like her old man.

Oh well. You can’t win them all.

The door opened a few minutes later, and both lovely ladies stepped out. “You two have one more appointment with me,” Aunt Eva called from inside the office, “this Friday, at two P.M., though its a final evaluation, more of a formality than anything else to assure your father that you have both been ‘treated’.”

“Not a problem, Dr. Snow,” Jasmine replied with a wave. “Believe me, we know what a pain our dad can be. Still, I have to say, this hasn’t been so bad. You definitely have a better bedside manor than that Dr. Melfi from The Sopranos... and you’re much much cuter.”

Jennifer rolled her eyes as she dragged her sister out of the office by her arm. “We’ll see you Friday at two, Dr. Snow,” she said with an embarrassed blush, closing the door behind her. Shaking her head, she sighed. “Damn, Jazz, do you have to be such a shameless flirt to EVERY woman you see?” Turning around, she spotting me sitting on the couch of the exit room, and her cheeks flushed an even deeper red. “Oh. Um. Hi... again... uh, what was your name?”

“Parker. I’m Dr. Snow’s nephew.”

“Parker. Right.” Glancing at her twin, who seemed content merely to watch, amused, she turned to the door. “It was nice meeting you again, but we have to be going now.”

I merely nodded, watching as the two girls made their way outside, Jasmine barely managing to contain her laughter. A few minutes later my aunt came up behind me, putting her hands on my shoulders. “Nice girls, don’t you think?”

I patted her hand gently. “Yeah, nice. Especially the blonde. I don’t see why the Mayor insisted they come see you, though... they seem perfectly normal to me.”

Eva frowned, staring ahead at the door they’d just exited. “Yes. Normal. That’s certainly how they seem, anyway.”

* * *

Bidding Aunt Eva farewell, I made my way along Seventh Street, cutting across to Maxwell Avenue. By my watch, I had at least another ten minutes before the Number Nine bus arrived. Sitting down on the bench provided, I fingered the lining of my shirt collar. Despite the Mayor’s injunction, I still wore my costume underneath my street clothes. Heck, I’d been doing it for so long it was second nature. Still, I suppose it was time for a change.

Maybe a new costume. Wonder how I’d look in black...

Nah. It’s been done to death. And I like my red costume. Besides, its less likely to turn out to be an alien symbiote or something...

A few people on foot, a couple of bike riders, and numerous cars and trucks rolled past. For nearly six in the evening, it was a pretty light traffic day. Come to think of it, Maxwell was usually a loud, bustling, overcrowded parking lot at this time of the day. Or, at least that’s how it seemed to me every time I took the bus to Aunt Eva’s office and back—Super speed or not, I think its about time I invested in a car—but right now, this place seemed all but deserted.

Frowning, I glanced around the neighborhood, at the buildings and the alleyways. Everything was quiet... too quiet. Practically deserted. Did everyone else know something I didn’t? That tell-tale feeling I get in the pit of my stomach flared up again, and I rose to my feet. Something was about to happen here, and I seriously doubted I should stick around to see what it was. I started walking, heading back towards the corner of Seventh. I kept glancing around, looking for I-don’t-know-what to happen, all the while feeling as if time was about to run out. As I reached the intersection, the wind blew, and I breathed deeply.

Shit! GAS!

Whirling around, I looked back at the bench. A man in a navy blue suit was just sitting down, checking his watch, no doubt waiting for the Number Nine just as I had. I glanced at my watch: 5:59:58PM. “Get out of there!” I yelled to the man, taking a step towards him. I wasn’t the one being targeted, I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but if I could just reach—

And then the world around me exploded into a sea of flames...

((end of chapter 2...))