The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Kiss From A Rose

By J. Darksong & Gbrn32e

* * *

Ch.5) Stuck With You

Fran Davis, CRNP, walked calmly back into the Crescent City Sanitarium, a slight smile on her face. Entering the doorway, she paused, frowning slightly, as a security guard approached her, waving her forward. “Sorry, Nurse Davis, just need to scan you,” he said in a bored tone, holding out a small plastic paddle.

“Um, no problem, Sam,” she said, blushing slightly, holding her arms straight out. “Sure seems like a busy day today. Something, um, important going on?”

“Not that I know of,” the security guard replied with a shrug. “If it is, it’s above my pay grade.” He nodded, satisfied, then gestured to the purse. “Can you open that for me as well, ma’am?”

Fran blanched slightly. “M... my purse? Why do you need to look inside there?” she said, definitely frowning now. “Can’t you just... um, wand it, or something?”

“Sorry, ma’am, orders are orders,” he insisted. “Besides, these days with all the plastic and ceramic weapons available, its too easy to slip in something that wouldn’t register.”

“Yes, I agree, but,” she protested as he took her purse. “But, but, I mean, you KNOW me, Sam,” she pleaded, her voice going up an octave as he began to dig around inside. “I-I-I’ve worked here for years, you don’t need to—”

“Aaahh... oh, er, um... yeah,” the guard said, blushing even redder than the embarrassed nurse, his hand clutching a large ten inch plastic purple vibrator... one that was noticeably wet, wrapped in a pair of pink and silver panties. “Oooookay, then,” he said, rewrapping it, and placing it back into Nurse Davis’ purse. “I’m just going to, er, put this back... and we can just forget about this whole thing, okay?” Saying nothing, Fran took her purse back, and scurried forth towards the reception desk, where the other nurses and orderlies were patently trying hard to avoid glancing in her direction.

“Ah, Fran, there you ate,” Joy, the duty nurse said, approaching from the back. “Perfect timing. I have your work roster for the day all filled in and ready.”

“Work roster?” she repeated. “But I already know where I’m supposed to be working today.”

“The old schedule, perhaps,” Joy stated, correcting her, “but the new schedule has changed to adapt to the new, current, um, situation.” she said gesturing to the people roaming around. “All hospital staff are now working in pairs for safety concerns.”

Huh. That complicates things a little, Fran thought to herself, but I can work with this. If nothing else, it will give me the chance to convert another follower for my Goddess if I can get my partner alone. Scanning the paper, however, she frowned. “Wait. Pairs? This says I’ll be working in a group of three!”

“Yes, well, we’re short a nurse tonight,” Joy replied with a shrug. “Jenny called in sick, so it’s an odd number. Why?” she asked, eyes narrowing slightly. “Do you have a problem working with Erika and Sabrina tonight?”

“Oh, no, no, no problem,” Fran said quickly, shaking her head. “It’s just... weird, that’s all. Anyway,” she said, glancing at the clock, “we still have about seven or eight minutes before the shift officially starts. Any problem with me going to the bathroom real quick? I need to freshen up a bit.”

“Sure, go right ahead,” Joy replied, nodding to the others. “Just make it quick.” Breathing a small sigh of relief, Fran turned and fled, hurrying to the women’s bathroom, closing the door and locking it behind her. Once inside, she turned and walked to the last stall, and knocked twice.

“There you are,” Rosella replied with a sigh. “I was beginning to get worried.”

“Sorry,” Fran apologized, opening the purse, taking out the purple sex toy, handing it to the High Priestess. “Looks like I won’t have as much mobility as I’d hoped. The head nurse has everyone paired up, working in pairs to make sure everyone is watched and accounted for, and that there’s never a time when anyone is alone to be converted.” She sighed. “Except in my case,” she added. “We’re a nurse short, so I am part of a group of three... so there’s no chance to slip away or convert my partner without the third person raising an alarm.”

“Damn,” Rosella grunted, twisting the vibrator, removing the top, and removing the two small battery shaped tubes held inside. “I should have guessed he’d have taken precautions. No matter. It just moves up the time table a bit.”

Despite the series of setbacks, Rosella was in high spirits. She’d snuck in with Fran, walking just behind her as she entered, using her body to block any infrared, sound sensors, or anything to scan any biological functions she wouldn’t be able to hide. And having Fran bring in the vibrator had served two functions—it provided an embarrassing distraction to draw everyone’s attention, allowing her to slip into the bathroom undetected, and allowed the nurse to slip in two small but powerful explosive charges inside the building under the guard’s nose.

“Here, Sister,” Rosella said, handing over her hastily removed clothes, her trademark grey skintight bodysuit and hooded cloak, gloves, and boots. Fran, meanwhile, was just finishing the removal of her nurse’s uniform, including her pale white pantyhose and shoes. She blushed lightly, noting the telltale stain from the pleasure of her earlier conversion, but Rosella merely smiled, sniffing deeply, winking at the nurse.

“It’s fine, Sister,” she assured her, rolling the stockings up her bare feet, quickly slipping on the starched white nurse outfit as Fran slid on her costume. Glancing again at her watch, she nodded to herself, taking a deep breath.

The next part of her plan involved planting one of the charges into the downstairs generator room to blow the power grid when needed, as well as using Fran, dressed as Ghost Girl, to cause a commotion, and distract the workers long enough for her to approach Chloe’s room as a nurse. The disguise wouldn’t stand up to much scrutiny, and anyone who knew Fran or Rose would realize the switch instantly. The idea was to use the confusion to get as close as possible before she was discovered, and take down anyone who got in her way before she was overwhelmed by sheer numbers. Her only objective was to make it to Chloe before she was caught. If she could reach her, channel her Goddess’ power and restore her back to the way she used to be, then the two of them could easily blast their way out of there and escape.

Heck, back in the day, Ampere could have blasted her way through an entire army without breaking a sweat, she thought with glee. Twenty or thirty guys with guns won’t slow her down.

For half a second, she paused, considering. Everything bad that had happened to them over the years stemmed from them being caught and enslaved, having their will taken away, and being forced to betray one another. First Chloe had betrayed her and brought her to the Confectioner, the she’d betrayed Chloe, fighting to bring her back to the fold when she broke from of his control. Now, she was seeking to do so once more, healing her, giving her back her mind, and her life again, but at the cost of her freedom. For the briefest of moments, she felt a pang of guilt—

Only for it to be brushed aside by the warm, powerful, potent presence of her Goddess in her mind, empowering her, reaffirming her mission, building up her confidence again. Yes. That’s right. It’s not slavery, not really. It’s freedom. Being the thrall of my Goddess has freed me from all the pain and anger and guilt of my past.. and it will free Chloe as well. This isn’t a bad thing. This is the best possible thing I could do for her!

Reaching out, she took Fran’s hand. “Are you ready for this?” she asked, taking another steadying breath. “I’ve never actually phased with another person before. My power usually only affects me, and small things that I carry, like my clothes.” She swallowed. “A year ago... hell, a few days ago, this would have been impossible. But with my Goddess’s power flowing through me, I feel as though I could do the impossible!”

“As do I, Sister Rosella,” Fran replied with absolute conviction. “I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever. You can do this.” She tightened her grip on her hand slightly. “Let’s do this. Time is of the essence.” With that, both women stepped forward... and walked through the adjoining wall, vanishing from the room.

* * *

“Ah, there you are,” Venus replied serenely as the tall camouflage clad man approached her, stopping just a few feet away to drop to one knee before her. Extending a hand, she was pleasantly surprised when he kissed the back of it. “Mmm... who says chivalry is dead?” she said lightly. “So, my gallant man, why don’t you introduce yourself.”

“Yes, ma’am,” the sergeant replied, still kneeling. “My name is Henry William Matthews, Sergeant First Class, retired. I’m, um... I’m not sure what to say, ma’am. I was the sniper sent to eliminate you... to kill you.” He raised his head then, staring at her, eyes still wide and slightly glazed. “But... I just couldn’t. I could kill someone so... so... beautiful,” he said, blushing hotly, his pants becoming incredibly uncomfortable.

“Yes, well, I’m quite glad of that,” Satore replied with a smirk. “I could certainly use someone with your talents... particularly someone with such a good eye for beauty.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Henry said, finally rising back to his feet. “Thank you for the honor of allowing me to serve you. But, um... to that end... I think we should leave, ma’am,” he said, glancing around, “and the sooner the better. It won’t take long for the others to realize what happened. Your girl Rose is in trouble. And we should get you out of here before Mr. Frasier takes further action.”

“It’s Rosella,” she corrected him idly, “and what do you mean by trouble?”

“My Boss, Mr. Frasier... he knew you were coming,” Henry explained. “The same way he sent us to take you out, he sent a squad of operatives to the hospital to capture your Rose.” He glanced at his watch grimly. “Um, Rosella. It’s probably happening right now. So, we’d better get moving as well. I’m almost sure the Boss’ eye in the sky is overhead right now peering down at us. We need to leave and get somewhere safe.”

Satore frowned, glancing up. “Looking down at us? What do you mean? I don’t see anyone.”

“Satellites, ma’am,” he stated, moving to her car, opening the passenger door, then stepping back, allowing her entrance. “Mr. Frasier has five of them in orbit, and at least one of them has been dedicated to this mission, to keep track of everything. Luckily, there’s about a two to five minute delay between signal reception, so that gives us a little time, a minute or so now, to get moving before he can notice what’s happened.”

“Oh? And do you know what he’ll do then?” Venus asked, sliding into her seat, buckling in. “What else does this former boss of yours have up his sleeves?”

Henry shuddered slightly, as he moved into the driver’s seat. “Ma’am, I’m not sure exactly what he’ll do next. I do know he considered your death and Miss Contreras’ capture an utmost priority.” He frowned. “I wasn’t privy to the discussion, only knowing the rumors my team claimed to have overheard... but unless they were exaggerating, the use of snipers was actually Plan B. The first plan was to incinerate your vehicle with a missile launched from a remote drone aircraft.”

Venus blinked at that. “A missile?!?” She shook her head, muttering. “And people call ME crazy. Very well. Let’s get to some safe and talk some more. If he has indeed managed to capture my High Priestess, I’ll need to reconsider my options here.” She frowned. “I believe we may have underestimated your former Boss a bit. I think I need to know more about this Eugene Frasier... and you, my dear Henry, are just the person to fill me in.”

* * *

Nurse Joy Allen glanced up at the clock, and scowled. It was now five past the hour. “Okay, she’s been in there long enough,” she muttered, heading towards the ladies room. As she placed her hand against the door, however, a loud explosion rocked the building. Several voices rang out in alarm as smoke erupted from underneath several doors and vents and the sprinkler system deployed, sending down a stream of water as the lights began to flicker off and on. Shocked, Joy ran back to the front desk, where several of the other nurses and doctors were gathering, coughing from the smoke, trying to head towards the exit, past the security guards who seemed hell bent on keeping them inside.

“Everyone calm down and relax,” Dr. Perkins yelled, his voice rising to be heard over all the chaos. “We’ll all get through this just fine. Please... just relax and remember your training. As soon as you’ve been cleared by security, you can all leave in an orderly fashion. Now, please... everyone, just cooperate with the officers.”

Joy grimaced slightly, shuddering from the cold water beginning to pool up underneath her collar, her white uniform starting to go translucent from the wetness, his scarlet bra and panties becoming visible. She glanced back at the bathroom, concerned. She wanted to go and check up on Nurse Davis, naturally concerned about her well being... but the fact that she hadn’t come running out of the bathroom screaming seconds after the explosion confirmed her suspicions. Giving the hallway once last backward glance, she moved forward, taking her place in line, awaiting her turn to be allowed to leave—

“She’s here!” a male voice called out over one of the security guard’s radio, causing all of the guards to glance up. “Southwest quadrant! And she’s moving fast!”

“Everyone out!” Sam barked, unlocking and opening the second door, stepping back to allow the crowd to depart in mass, as he and half of the guards at the door sprinted up the hall, heading for the Southwest section of the hospital. Moments later, a familiar figure in a grey suit and cloak ran by, boots splashing loudly in the gathering pools of water, being chased by several orderlies. She skidded to a stop, apparently stunned at the sight of the group of people fleeing the front entrance. “Ghost Girl! Stop!” Sam barked, bringing up his gun. “Surrender now! We don’t want to hurt you!”

In response, the cloaked girl merely lifted her left hand, extending her middle finger, and turned, running down the opposite hallway. “Stop, dammit!” Sam yelled again, taking aim. Growling, lining up his shot, he pulled the trigger. A beam of pale white light shone out, and the target let out a loud cry before crumpling to the ground in a heap. With the target stunned, the ‘orderlies’ and security guards moved in, guns still at the ready just in case she tried to pull a last minute escape. Kneeling down, Sam rolled the woman over and pulled back the cloak, frowning. “Shit. It’s a decoy,” he said loudly, revealing Fran Davis’ face. The orderlies keyed their mics, calling in the update, even as Sam rose back to his feet. “I’m going back to watch the front entrance and check in with the guards there. You guys fan out and keep searching. She has to be here somewhere.”

“Relax, Sam,” the leader of the disguised mercenary group said, placing a hand on the older guard’s shoulder. “She’s still here. And considering the lengths she went through to provide a distraction, we know EXACTLY where she’s heading...”

* * *

The white clad orderly stationed outside room four twenty-nine glanced up as a nurse approached, pushing a small cart of medications. Straightening up, he turned and nodded to the nurse as she drew close... then lashed out with a kick, overturning the cart, knocking the surprised nurse back onto her ass. “Nice try, Contreras,” he stated, leg still raised, wiggling it lightly, kicking out several times in a show of skill before lowering it back down to the floor. Smirking, he snapped his fingers, causing a brief flash as his clothing disappeared, replaced by his familiar Neuroweave costume. “But you’d need to do better than that to fool my heightened senses. Did you honestly think you could sneak past me so easily?”

Rosella blinked in surprise, then groaned inwardly, rising back to her feet. “Solo. Of course. I should have guessed Frasier would station you here as a last ditch effort.” She smirked slightly, kicking off her clunky white shoes, and ripped her skirt, giving herself more mobility. “As I recall, you’re still a bit sore at me for beating your record for the most successful missions carried out for the company. So... what’s this? Trying to even the odds? Looking for a little payback?”

Solo rolled his eyes. “Hardly. You went rogue, so you’re not a competitor anymore. You’re just a job.” He assumed a fighting pose. “Getting to kick your cocky ass up and down the floor just to wipe that smirk off your face is merely a bonus.”

“Huh. Tough talk, considering the last time we sparred I laid you out in less than fifteen seconds,” she stated, adopting a pose of her own. Facing Solo, she was concerned but confident. True, she’d beat him easily in their last confrontation, but she’d had full use of her powers then, able to phase at will to avoid any strikes she couldn’t block or counter. Ever since stepping onto this floor, however, her powers had been blocked. Her sabotage of the generator had affected the security cameras and other systems, but not the Syphon Field—her former Master had apparently set it to run on a completely different off site power source. Nevertheless, once she made it to Chloe, it wouldn’t be a problem.

And all I have to do is get past this one last guy, she thought with satisfaction. I just need to do it before the guards figure out the ruse and rush back here.

Deciding to go offensive, Rosella charged, aiming a punch directly for the stealth operative’s face. He dodged, as expected, shifting to the left—right into the path of her spinning elbow, the intended blow. Unfortunately, her opponent anticipated the feint, and blocked the blow, countering with an open handed strike of his own. Grunting, she brought her arms down just in time to block, wincing a bit as she stumbled back from the force of the attack. Undaunted, she dropped low, kicking out in a sweep. Again, as expected, Solo dodged, leaping up over her kick, but instead of continuing to turn in a complete three-sixty, she planted her hands and kicked again, upwards, catching him in the chest.

“Uhhhnn!” Solo grunted, falling back, managing to land back on his feet, his guard back up again, as Rosella kip flipped back to her feet. He nodded grudgingly. “Not bad. You’ve upped your game since the last time,” he stated, rubbing his ribcage. “This would almost be fun to play it out like usual, to see which one of us has improved the most... but I’m afraid THIS contest is already decided.”

Rosella frowned. “Getting cocky again are we? Even after that last exchange just now?”

Solo grinned wickedly. “That little exchange merely proves my point. You’re good, Rose... but not good enough to beat me. Certainly not in the next few seconds before the rest of the security team arrives to back me up.” His smile increased as Rosella gasped in realization. “You see? You’re not really fighting me, you’re fighting time. I don’t have to beat you, Rose—I can block and trade blows with you for hours if I have to. You have to beat me. Oh. And by the way, as our Boss would have put it... you’re in ’check’.”

Dammit, he’s right! Rosella realized grimly as she rushed at him again, desperation forcing her hand. He’s not even trying to fight me for real, just to hold me off! Feinting twice, she ducked and swung, looping around to grab an arm, elbowing him lightly, trying for a hip toss. Solo merely grunted, taking the hit, before bringing up a knee, blocking her momentum, and shoving her back. Gripping her arm now, he pulled her in close, striking with a low kick to her upper thigh to keep her off balance, before launching into a flurry of short jabs and strikes to her chest. Rosella twisted, bringing up a knee of her own, catching him in the solar plexus, then twisted free, putting some distance between them to catch her breath.

“Uh uh,” Solo chided her, grinning, ducking low and charging in this time, “you’re not getting off that easily!” Growling, Rosella lashed out, kicking high and low, forcing the mercenary to block, slowly but surely pushing him back. The two traded blows for several seconds, kicking and punching, blocking and dodging, each looking for an opening to tag the other. Solo knew he only needed to bide his time, simply wait for Rose to get sloppy. Unlike her, he had all the time in the world. The dark haired beauty, however, was starting to become more and more desperate as the seconds ticked by. Spotting an opening, she dodged to the side and struck, landing a glancing blow on Solo’s face. The stealth op stumbled slightly, raising his arms, leaving his chest and abdomen open, and Rose leapt, lashing out with a crippling straight kick.

Gotcha! Solo cheered silently, recovering suddenly, his target having taken the bait. Ducking underneath, he locked his arm around hers, bridging his shoulder underneath her extended leg, and lashed out with a low kick of his own at her planted leg, then bent over and pulled. Rosella let out a gasp as her feet left the ground, finding herself lifted up and slammed hard into the polished tile floor. Not giving the stunned former agent a chance to recover, he dropped down as well, pinning her legs with his own, grabbed and pulling one arm up and back as he planted his arm down next to her head, holding her in an improvised reverse crossface cradle.

“Uggghnnn... get... off me...” Rosella panted, struggling fruitlessly to break free. “Let me up!”

“Not going to happen,” Solo replied smirking, his head inches away from hers, to the side. “You’re caught, Rose. And I’m going to hold you here until the cavalry shows up to cuff your sorry ass.” He sighed softly. “I can’t even pretend to know what possessed you to do all this... to betray the man who gave you everything, and side with that crazy witch Satore—”

“Blasphemer!” Rosella growled, struggling again, so fiercely that Solo had to actually adjust his position to maintain his leverage. “Heretic! How DARE you even speak my Goddess’ name with such disrespect!”

“She’s a witch and she has you under her spell,” Solo insisted, ratcheting her arm painfully to get her to finally settle down. “Face it, Rose—she made you her bitch!” He sighed deeply. “You know how this works. You were an op just like me. The only reason we even went through all this convoluted bullshit anyway is because the Boss wanted to try and take you alive if possible... to capture you rather than kill you, on the off chance that the spell on you can be broken.”

Rosella simply sighed, her mind racing. Under normal circumstances, the knowledge that Eugene had gone to such lengths to try and rescue her would have made her happy. As it was, this declaration merely gave her hope that a last ditch escape attempt might work. If Eugene was determined to keep her alive, then she could afford to take certain risks. First, however, she needed to escape this hold. And, given her position, there was only one way to get Solo to release her. Turning her head sharply to the side, ignoring the strain on her neck and arm, she leant forward... and kissed the stunned operative on the lips.

“Gaaahhhhh!” he yelped, releasing her immediately, gazing at her in shock. “What the FUCK, Contreras?” he yelled, pissed, wiping his lips. “What the hell was that? Were you trying to convert ME, like all your other little minions?” he asked, scowling as she got unsteadily to her feet, rubbing her hyperextended shoulder and arm. “Huh. Good luck with that. The Boss spread the word about your Mistress’ special ability, and we planned accordingly.” He smirked, crossing his arms. “Did you forget that I’m gay? In order for your mojo to work, you have to overwhelm your would-be victim with pleasure and arousal... which means you’re out of luck. Maybe if your precious Goddess Aphrodite had sent in a tall dark haired Latino with a six pack, then maybe...”

Rosella nodded. It was a bit of a longshot anyway, still, it has surprised him enough to break his hold. “Yes, well, I haven’t had any complaints until now,” she said, fingering the final little surprise tucked away in her pocket. “But anyway, I have to admit, you were wrong about one little thing.”

“Oh? What’s that?”

“That I don’t actually need to beat you either. I just need to get past you!” she said, pressing the trigger of the device in her pocket, activating the second of the two charges she’d brought with her. The overturned medicine cart suddenly exploded, rocketing the room. Solo, who was closest, was struck completely off guard, and sent flying back hard into the nearby wall. Groaning, he crumpled to the ground, unconscious, bleeding from several cuts and wounds. Rosella, stunned as well by the blast, but less affected, shielded somewhat by Solo taking the brunt of it, rose back to her feet. Panting, sore, scratched, scorched and bruised, she made her way to Chloe’s door, and, using the key card she’d swiped from Solo, slipped inside.

Inside, she let out a sigh of relief. She’d done it. She’d managed to make it to her goal! In the corner, Chloe sat at a small wooden table, humming softly to herself, coloring. “Chloe? It’s me... Rosie,” she said gently, stepping towards the childlike woman. “I’m sorry it took me so long to get here, but I’m finally... here...” she faltered, drawing to a stop as the Chloe in front of her shimmered slightly, before fading away, replaced by the familiar visage of Eugene Frasier.

“Ach, no,” he said shaking his head, as the room lights dimmed, illuminating his hologram. “I’m sorry, Rose... but yer Princess is in another castle. I took the liberty of having dear Chloe moved to a safe offsite location as soon as I’d heard you’d freed Satore. I’m sorry... but she’s far out of your reach now.”

“NO! NOO! You can’t do this!” Rosella screamed, shaking, seething in rage. “You can’t take her away from me! After everything I sacrificed, everything I gave up to help her, to heal her—and you would deny me that? Deny her the chance of FINALLY having her life back... all just to get to me?”

Eugene’s hologram shook his head. “No, lass. Not to punish you, or anything so mundane. Believe me or not, but I’ve done this for your benefit... BOTH of your benefits. I want to help Chloe just as much as you do. I’ve spent decades on trying to find a way to help her. But even so... I’m not willing to lose one of you just to help the other. And I certainly do not intend to lose both of you.” His expression hardened. “Forgive me, lass... but this little game is over now. Checkmate.” His image faded, as a thick mist began to fill the room.

“Shit!” Rosella yelled, looking around anxiously, trying to cover her mouth, even as she knew it was hopeless. The room was used to house a potentially dangerous mental patient, one with superhuman abilities; there was no way out unless someone opened the door from outside. She could only hold her breath for a few minutes at most, and after the fight with Solo she was hardly at her best. Goddamn you, Eugene Frasier, she thought furiously as the gas began to affect her, draining her strength, turning her legs to jelly. The last thought she had before she slid into sweet dreamless slumber was to her Goddess, praying that she would forgive her failure...

* * *

Julie Simmons waved lightly to the familiar faces greeting her as she left the terminal. “Hey guys!” she said, hugging her two friends and partners, Stephanie Rogers and Amanda Keene. “It’s good to see you again! Thanks for coming to pick me back up.”

“Hey, no sweat,” Amanda replied with a grin, shrugging. “It’s not like anything was going on. It’s been pretty dead around without you.” She glanced sidelong at her blue haired friend. “And Steph’s been bored out of her skull, practically climbing the walls without her ‘best bud’ to tease.”

“Yeah, right,” Julie replied stiffly, rolling her eyes. “And I’m ssoooo looking forward to that again.”

“Ah, c’mon, Jules,” Stephanie said, pouting. “You know you missed me too!”

Yeah... like a hole in my head, she thought, rolling her eyes. Aloud, however, she conceded the point. “Okay... sure. I suppose I DID kind of miss your hijinx... a little bit.” She glanced around at the parking lot. “So, where’s the car?” she asked, glancing around.

“Over here,” Jimmy Frasier called out, coming up from their right, as he and his girlfriend Devon approached to greet them. Julie blinked in surprise as the pair approached them, hugging her tightly. “Hey, Julie. How was the vacation? You went to visit your mom, right?”

“Y-yeah,” she said, blushing slightly. “My mom. Though, I can’t really call it much of a vacation, since she put me to work while I was there.” She grinned, shaking her head. “What about you, ‘Doc’? What are you and Devon doing here? I’d have thought you would be home studying, or at the library.”

“Hey, I do more than just study, you know,” he replied with a smirk. “As a matter of fact, Dev and I were just coming back from the movies when we ran into Steph and Mandy. When they mentioned you were coming back from your vacation, I offered to pick you up in my new SUV,” he said, gesturing to the large black vehicle parked nearby. “Jenny’s still... ahem... being tuned up after that incident back in Utah, so I’m taking this loaner out for a spin.” Bending over, he grabbed the stack of Julie’s luggage, hoisting it over his head. “C’mon. Let’s get you back home. I’m sure your worn out after the flight.”

“Damn,” Amanda murmured softly, staring after him as he loaded all seven bags into the trunk. “You hang around with the guy so much you start to think of him as normal, and then he just picks up a half dozen suitcases full of junk over his head as if it’s nothing...” Devon grinned.

“So, how was your trip?” she turned, asking Julie directly. “And your mom? I think you said she was feeling under the weather before you left. Was it anything serious?”

“No, no, just a little cold,” Jette replied with a grin. “More of a twenty-four hour bug. She’s perfectly fine now.” She shrugged. “And yeah, she spent a lot of time working, but we managed to squeeze in some quality mother-daughter time while I was there.” She sighed softly, wistfully. “I’m really kind of sad it’s over. But, well, you know how it is with family. You only miss them when you’re apart. After being with them for a day or two, you start counting the minutes until you can leave!”

The others chuckled at that, then piled into the SUV as Jimmy pulled up. “What did you guys go see?” the dark skinned beauty asked, causing Devon to glance back. “Jimmy said you guys were just coming back from the movies? What did you watch?”

“Oh, I dunno,” Devon replied, frowning slightly. “Death Park? Doom Pack?” She shrugged. “Some superhero movie... Jimmy was excited to see it the day it opened. I thought it might be fun too,” she said conspiratorially, leaning forward, “but frankly, it was that really crude humor that guys tend to like. All I remember was a torture scene, a pool hall scene, a bunch of guns and explosions, and gratuitous violence.”

“Really?” Julie asked, perking up. “Sounds like my kind of movie. I wouldn’t mind going to see it later. Especially with your boyfriend, that hot, handsome piece of man-meat—GODDAMMIT, SAFF!” she yelled, reaching over to put a stranglehold on the younger blue haired girl, who shrieked. “What have I told you about using your damn powers on me like that!?!”

“Er... If you like, I’ll be glad to go with you,” Jimmy called back from the driver’s seat, blushing slightly. “I wouldn’t mind seeing it again.”

“Just keep your eyes on the road, sweetheart,” Devon replied with a smirk, shaking her head. “And Julie, she’s just teasing you, you know she doesn’t mean it. If I’m not upset, you shouldn’t be.” With a sigh, the dark skinned heroine released her deathgrip on her teammate, who sighed, rubbing her throat idly.

“So, your mom,” Amanda asked, turning towards the back seat to face her partner. “Isn’t she like the manager of some fancy club or something there?”

“It’s a resort,” Jette clarified. “The Teton Springs Resort and Spa. It’s kind of out of the way, off the beaten track, but they make up for it by catering to the rich and famous, like actors, celebrities and politicians.”

“Ah, yeah, that’s right,” Jimmy pointed out. “My parents have been there a few times as well. Mom loves it... says its really nice up there.”

Several minutes later, they arrived at the Beautiful Gems’ mansion, and Jette and the others disembarked. “Thanks for the lift, guys,” Julie said, waving with her free hands, the several bags of luggage clutched tightly in the other. “And thanks for coming out to meet me!”

“Hey, it was our pleasure,” Jimmy replied, waving back. “Have a good night you guys. And Emily, see you tomorrow after class!”

Waving again, Jimmy and Devon left, heading back down the interstate towards the university, and their off-campus housing. Soft music played over the radio, the only sound in the vehicle as they drove along. Jimmy glanced over at his girlfriend, concerned. Devon stared straight ahead silently out of the windshield, a slight frown on her face. Though she wasn’t exactly Chatty Cathy, she was rarely this quiet for this long.

“Baby, is something wrong?” he asked. “Um, baby? Dev? DEVON!”

Devon blinked, jerking in her seat. “Wh... what? Sorry, I was just... um... never mind.”

“No, what is it?” Jimmy pressed. “Something’s obviously bothering you. What is it?”

Devon bit her lip. “Did Jette... er, Julie, did she seem... I dunno, different to you?”

Jimmy frowned, considering. “No, not really. She seemed like the same happy-go-lucky girl she usually is... when Sapphire isn’t driving her crazy, anyway. Why?”

“I don’t know. I mean... yes, she seems the same to me too. But...” she growled in frustration, trying to think of the words to describe what she felt. “Sitting next to her in the back seat, I just had this... feeling. You know that... um.. that thing in science class? The glass ball with the lighting rod inside that makes that purple lightning, and you touch it and it makes your hair stand on end?”

Jimmy smirked. “You mean a Tesla coil? Yes, baby, I know about them.”

“Well, that’s what it felt like,” Devon admitted, rubbing her left arm. “Sitting next to her, just being around her...it felt like touching one of those coil things... like ants crawling along my skin. I honestly wouldn’t have been surprised if my hair was standing on end too.” She sighed. “I know, I know... it sounds crazy. But... I just have this feeling, yanno?”

Jimmy frowned, considering. “If you think it’s really something to worry about, I can always call Amber or Diane and give them a heads-up...”

But Devon shook her head. “No. They’ll just think I’m nuts. Besides... I don’t even know what it was I felt. Maybe she just had some static electricity or something from rubbing up against the back seat with that sweater she had on.” She forced a smile on her face. “Never mind. Just forget it. I’m looking forward to continuing our date night. Let’s head back home. You promised me a nice relaxing massage, and I intend to collect...”