The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Last of the Independents

Chapter 2: Taking to the Road

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends, we’re so glad you could attend, come inside...come inside.

Karn Evil 9 —Emerson, Lake and Palmer

When Sasha’s eyes opened again, she was standing next to a thin white man in a spotless business suit. When she looked down at herself, she was in a black skirtsuit that was more at nightclub length than proper office length. She was next to a brunette who was in a similar outfit in a dark gray. They were at the loading dock next to the tour bus, and the sight of Christy’s logo on the bus brought Sasha back to awareness—not as the graduate student babysitting her little sister, but the newest member of Christy Reed’s management and publicity team.

“Oh my God, congratulations on the job!” the brunette squealed. “I’m Eve! I can’t believe I got this job! I mean, working for Christy Reed? How can anything beat that?”

“I know! Fuck grad school, and fuck Northwestern! I made it already! I can’t wait to get to work!” Sasha said with a mile-wide grin.

“Okay, y’all, meet the new kids and get on the bus. We gotta get going to Detroit! We’ll be there at ten. Here’s the short version—Sasha’s PR, Eve’s finances, Frank’s accounting. Y’all can get to know each other better later,” Christy said. A line of skirts and suits boarded the bus and took their seats. Christy got on for a second, just long enough to deliver one quick aria that knocked out everyone on board. Christy smiled maternally t her staff and summoned the driver before boarding her own bus for Detroit.

The strains of “Good Morning to You” would cause violence from anyone forced to wake up to it, even if it was delivered by Sasha’s new boss. Sasha’s brain was awake enough to realize something had happened to her. The sudden loyalty towards someone she had never heard of before the previous night, the near worshipful stares she was giving her new employer even as she lounged in a sweatsuit, the fact that she passed out on the bus and was now being summoned awake in the depths of Joe Lewis Arena—and the fact that the moment she tried to think of anything off topic, Christy’s sweet voice played in her head and she forgot everything.

“You’ll get used to it. Oh, sorry. I’m Gwen, and I’m publicity too. We’re going to be working together for a while, so you’re gonna have to get used to it,” a sweet petite blonde said to her in a drawl that made Christy’s Georgia accent sound bland enough for a newscast.

“So are we going to get to work here or what?” Sasha demanded.

“We sure will, hon, just as soon as you start learning the ropes. I’m sure HR will be done with breakfast soon enough,” Gwen said with a grin. “Love the enthusiasm, though. Y’all newbies are all like that.”

“Ah, I see our new PR runner is awake and raring to go. Everyone welcome Sasha, who I’m sure will be a great addition to our team,” Christy said, breaking sharply from reviewing plans and figures with her staff. Everyone waved hello in an exaggerated manner. Gwen giggled.

“Hey, I just wanna contribute any way I can,” Sasha said with a nervous chuckle, blushing at being a distraction.

A few of the senior staff members laughed. “Hey, we all have our first days. And you aren’t the only one,” another person in PR said down the row from Sasha, and sure enough Eve and Frank stuck out, with Eve’s giddy grin and Frank trying his best not to drool.

“Thanks,” Sasha said, and she relaxed and listened to the assignments of the day. Row by row each executive team got off the bus and headed to their areas. Arena, talent, ops, catering, technical, VIPs, local promotions—finally they got to PR and everything became a blur as Sasha’s instructions buried themselves in her brain. Her team got up to leave, but Sasha’s legs carried her to the empty back row instead. She remembered that she had to go to HR for processing, although it didn’t make the task any more interesting, and she was aching for the chance to prove herself to Christy. She saw Frank and Eve having similar reactions as they took their seats next to her, and she couldn’t hold it together when she saw Christy coming down the aisle.

“I know the anticipation hurts, but we need to get this done. Luckily, I don’t have to tell y’all that the faster you get processed, the faster you can join your team. Today you’ll follow HR and learn the inner workings fo my little empire, help with tasks behind the scenes whenever possible, and become the best employees you can be. It starts with self-awareness. There are no secrets with me. I’m not some major label whore. I do everything myself, and there’s a reason for that. You’ll figure that out sooner rather than later. This industry ain’t kind, and you’ll see things that’ll make your stomach turn. I keep things insulated for a reason. That’s why I recruit at my concerts. You’re all smart and educated, so you know something happened to you. And I’m about to tell you what it was.

“I’m what they call a siren. My voice bends minds to my will. That backstage music is unreleased for a reason. I’ve honed it into a melody meant to override every thought in your head and rebuild it around loyalty to me and my business for those I find potential in. Most folks I don’t let get this far. They just do promotion work, then work the concerts when I come back. I picked y’all because you have potential to be more than that, same way any other employer would.

“Why do I do this? I was born this way. Anyone who comes close to platinum in this business is either a siren, backed up by a siren, has a pied piper in their band, or is produced by a subliminalist engineer. I choose my staff from my concerts, and I got multi-platinum this way, and I’m not going away any time soon. Unlike most, however, I manage this like a regular business. HR will tell you how competitively you’re going to be paid, and about the full benefits you get. I won’t put any strings on how you spend your free time, or any of that other garbage the other labels do. I mean it when I say I’m the last of the independents,” Christy said, her voice tailing off sadly as she spoke.

Eve kept smiling and Frank kept drooling, but Sasha saw the tremble in Christy’s hand when she got on the subject of Hollywood and her fierce independence from the major labels. Sasha heard the feeling of loss in Christy’s voice and almost felt the fear and vulnerability, and how it faded away as Christy regained her composure and built her walls again. Sasha realized that behind the formal and mysterious exterior was a sincere woman who Sasha might have been friends with in another place and time. While she might have taken Sasha by force, and done whatever she did to change her will, she did so because of some unknown force knocking on the door, and Sasha dreaded whatever it was enough to be ready to get down to it and get to work. Of course, she might be making me think this part too, but I don’t think so.

Christy’s speech done, she got off the bus. Sasha followed her as she crooked her finger, but even in her eagerness to follow Christy’s instructions, she was almost trampled by Eve and Frank. They walked into the main arena and were directed into one of the luxury boxes. A young Asian woman in a white skirtsuit moderately acceptable in most offices sat at a makeshift desk. Christy’s latest album was on the CD player, and all three new hires swooned and hung on every word of the recording. The HR director smiled at this and turned up the volume for a while, and while she had to fight off her own yawns, she did so as the three new hires slumped over, completely given over to Christy’s music even on a commercial CD. The HR director turned off the music and clapped her hands. There was no reaction. She took out a penlight and shone it into each person’s eyes in turn. Seeing the reaction—or lack of reaction—she was looking for, she shook them back to awareness. “Welcome to Christy Reed Incorporated. I’m Jan, director of human resources. I’m sure your career here will be long and profitable. I’m going to train you in everything, and you will take notes. I’m only doing this once. First, let’s talk about your contracts. Eve, forty-five thousand annual base, plus five percent on all trade profit and dividends. Frank, fifty-two thousand plus bonuses for expenses reduced. Sasha, fifty-five thousand a year plus bonuses for reaching increased sales thresholds in both tickets and albums.”

Sasha knew that this was better than a competitive salary, but she also knew that they weren’t supposed to be thinking, just n case someone tried to push it with salary demands. The conflict was interesting, but despite Christy’s seeming meekness, Sasha realized that she left no stone unturned in making sure everything was done to the letter. She signed the contract—the real contract, not the symbolic one that had bound her to Christy’s service—then walked over to Jan’s desk.

“Loose ends. Christy selected you despite you being with your sister. That almost never happens, no matter how good you are. Unless Christy has use for both, she doesn’t alert parents like that. But that just means you’re special. So dial out. You have enough awareness to remember your home phone number, right?” Jan asked tartly. Sasha looked back at Eve’s giddy grin and the line of drool at the corner of Frank’s mouth,a nd realized that Jan had dealt with too many people who couldn’t remember their phone numbers.

She dialed. “Hello—hi, Bree! Yeah, I know, I got the job! I’m in Detroit getting ready for tonight’s show. Look, I have to talk to mom and dad, let them know why I skipped out on them and let you drive home—duh, I was not going to let you ride the L by yourself, but don’t get used to it. They’ll understand, I hope. Fifty-five K a year doesn’t happen overnight—except when it does. And I get to help manage Christy Reed!” She had to hold the phone away from her ear as she heard Bree squeal on the other end, then the low murmur of Bree’s explanation to their mother. “Hi, Mom. I’m—I know, I know, but she came to me with a job offer. She gave it to me herself! It’s all checked out and I’m in training now. I’ll try to do my courses online, but I can’t pass this up. She’s a multi-platinum artist with an empire worth millions, and she asked me personally to join her company? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity! I know, mom, but the bus left right at midnight, and I couldn’t take the car to Detroit and have Bree go home on the L by herself. I know, I know, but a chance like this? I promise, mom, I won’t run away to join any more circuses. I hope I didn’t scare you guys too much.”

The brief smile on her face faded away as soon as she hung up and went back to staring blankly at nothing, waiting for her next cue. Jan patted her on the shoulder. “That won’t be the last time you talk to your parents. We’re not like that. Now go back and wait while I take care of Frank and Eve,” she said. Sasha obeyed perfectly, rewarded with the music in her head lulling her while Jan finished processing Eve and Frank, and she felt like she was floating when Jan summoned her for a tour.

“Everyone is hired from the fan base. Every single one. Everyone here was at a concert just like the one you were at. Roadies, security, everything we can control from inside, we can. Things we can’t control, we place under the strictest observation and scrutiny,” Jan explained. Sasha saw an army of large, strong men setting up the stage and props as if they had nothing else in the world to do. “We have two ranks, staff and executive. Everyone is equal otherwise on the road. Staff people get things done, while executives make sure it’s done right. Watch the Ops team making sure every screw is in place. Ops handles the stage and the roadies. No one goes near them.

“For local promotion, we have a few that we keep the way we have you, but everyone who gets the backstage pass is hired for something. Most just work events when we’re in town and flood the world with good feelings for Christy to drive sales when we’re not. Those are in charge of bringing in new recruits and scouting them for potential. They’re our front lines. Every venue we work has to have an extra large locker room for setup. Pro venues give us the visitors’ locker room. Colleges give us the home locker room. This is where the real action is. We recruit as hard as we can, because we don’t keep the staff as long as we keep the executive.

“Real important equipment note. Christy has two pianos, one for backstage and one for on stage. They are not to be confused with each other. They are not to be touched except by the trained professionals. Nothing goes near them. You can never be too careful with that,” Jan explained as she led them to the locker room. In each locker was a set of t-shirts, along with a leather miniskirt and black pantyhose for the women and black leather pants for the men. Sasha remembered the ushers from the United Center and realized what was happening, and Jan’s next words confirmed it. “Today you’ll help with the event staff before joining your respective teams. You need to know the whole process.”

“They’re here,” one of the arena management workers said as he walked in. Shortly after that, about forty people, all about Sasha’s age, filed in and sat around the piano like kids around a campfire. Something about the placement poked Sasha’s foggy memory.

“Thanks for coming, everyone. I’m Jan, HR director for Christy Reed. I’ll go over your responsibilities, but first a little treat for you. When Christy says that she takes care of her people, she means it,” Jan said, and on cue, Christy came into the locker room. Sasha tried to think rationally about the scheme; maybe there was a better way for Christy to make that kind of connection. But she knew what was coming next when Jan led her, Frank, and Eve out of the room. Part of Sasha—and most of Eve and Frank, from the looks of them—wanted to stay and let go with the other fans, but Sasha knew there was work to do, so she waited patiently outside, even as she felt her panties tingle as the volunteers were sung to sleep to get ready for their usher duties.

“Now we go to work. Unlike after the show, it’s straight to the showers with them. Get them undressed, don’t stare too long, but get their sixes, and get them into the showers.”

“So is the orgy just for show, or is there something to it?” Sasha finally got the nerve to ask.

“It cements Christy’s control over people, making them even easier to command. And it’s fun to watch. Hey, veterans need a reward too,” Jan teased, and Sasha could tell that she was as aroused as the rest of them. When the ushers were done, they got into their outfits, filed back into the locker room and stood ready to obey anything they were told.

“So what do you look for in employees?” Sasha whispered.

Jan looked grateful at Sasha’s interest. “Looks with brains. And ways to keep those without brains out. You’ll learn more about that later. But no silicone valley bimbos here. Christy is the last of the independents, and we strive to keep it that way. We don’t need corporate junk in our arenas,” she explained before getting on the platform to instruct the new workers. “Glad you all enjoyed that. You’ll take tickets and look at every person. We’re always looking for good looks for dancers and strength for security, but if you see anything that could be smarter or better than anyone you’ve ever seen, give them a backstage pass as well. If you hear about anyone who hasn’t heard Christy before, make sure they get closer to the stage so they can hear Christy’s wonderful voice.”

Sasha’s brain stirred, remembering how she was taken. Of course, most of her thoughts were blanked out with Christy’s music, but she remembered not knowing who Christy was before she became all that Sasha could think about. “You want to make sure everyone gets an earful and you don’t miss anyone, right? Because you never know who might be useful?”

“You learn fast. Look at you, already analyzing and thinking how to make things run better. Now I know why Christy wanted you so bad she broke up a pair of siblings. Look at Eve and Frank, still stunned from the night before, starstruck and entranced. It’ll take two days for Frank to remember how to count past ten. Oh, I can turn you off, and all the little triggers and implanted suggestions we use are in, but you’re ready. You’ll finish orientation so you’ll have some idea of what’s going on, but I can’t wait to see you working with the PR team. You’re going to make Christy bigger than ever,” Jan said with a huge grin, marking something off on Sasha’s file. As the new workers filed out to the main arena, Jan led the new employees through the halls to the makeup room. Even Jan had to show her credential more than three times to each of the giant men who kept guard.

“Good to know Christy has good security,” Eve said with a low whistle, the imposing sight of Christy’s beasts waking her up.

“Can’t ever be too careful, especially in Detroit,” Jan said.

“Yeah, with her voice? More than one person would get a little crazy over it,” Sasha rationalized.

“Finally, something you don’t have a clue about. You’ve seen what we do with those fans—we give them more Christy than they can handle. No, I’m talking about other labels—controllers and the slaves they create. This is a war and it’s only going to get bigger. Stupid vice president and his stupid newfangled invention,” Jan lamented.

“I didn’t know that what Christy did was a profession,” Sasha finally said after running down the path of stomach-churning thought after stomach-churning thought.

“Any good siren has their monster to eat enthralled sailors. But this is the nineties—now we need the monsters to eat anyone who tries to enthrall her,” Jan said. Frank grinned and Eve giggled, the momentary awareness in her eyes gone.

“Last of the independents,” Sasha said under her breath, not wanting to think about what that meant and wishing that she could tune out and giggle like Eve could instead of thinking critically of what she had gotten into.

Suddenly one of the security men, who looked like a Viking with his fierce beard, stormed in, young woman in overalls over his shoulder, out cold from primal means. “Not all women in overalls are gang members, but you can’t be too careful, with all that talk about this new group going around,” one of the older guards said. They put the girl down and started trying to bring her around. The headphones they put on her would keep her from feeling anything but goodwill over the mix-up.

“What in the—”

“New company just getting started. Don’t know much about them, but the rumors are pretty nasty, and that’s the kind of company that would want Christy as a false face,” Jan explained as she led them to the makeup room. All the bottles were unmarked, and a few young women were mixing the cosmetics to put on the dancers.

“Everything done by yourself so no one can sneak anything in,” Sasha mumbled, realizing that she was in something she could never understand.

“Exactly. We’re just about finished, Sasha. Now the dancers are there to visually entice, seduce, and draw attention to Christy’s voice. We have both men and women, and they’re also trained to pleasure you as much or as little as you need when you need a break. Fully versed in massage and... other arts,” Jan said, her naughty grin giving away her increasing arousal at the shirtless men and provocatively dressed women. The room was blaring with Christy’s music, and Sasha tried to hide how turned on she was getting. Jan wasn’t fooled, though. “Time for your break, kids. I don’t want Christy thinking that I’m working you into the ground. Eve took her jacket off and got into one of the chairs, where one of the male dancers started rubbing her shoulders as she laid her head against his muscled chest. Frank started flirting with one of the female dancers, who took his hand and led him off to the corner. Sasha looked around, feeling the music take its hold on her, and she saw the woman from the shower the night before. She didn’t understand why the pull of attraction was strongest there—maybe Christy likes to keep connections between people from the same area? her brain asked before her libido told it to shut up—but she walked over to her and laid down on the massage table. She closed her eyes as she felt her clothes come off and the music overwhelm her.