The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Librarian of Pathos

By...”The Naked Prose

Chapter 6: Enlightenment

Dominic couldn’t stay in the house that night after what had happened. Too much had changed in the past day for him to even think of hanging around. He left that night, locking the doors and not looking back over his shoulder as he went.

He headed instead for Greene’s estate. He had no intentions of staying there (that would attract far too much attention), so he booked a room for a week in a nearby hotel. Then he hit the house.

He headed straight upstairs to the study, and checked around to make sure that everything was still as it had been the night before. Confident that he was not being watched and that nothing had been disturbed; he closed the blinds and opened the doorway to the secret room.

This, too, had been left undisturbed, and the box was still lying on the antique writing desk. The ring glittered back at him as if it were mocking his own stupidity. The safe was still wide-open at the end of the room, so he gathered what he could of the contents and brought them over to the writing desk.

The letter was the first thing to draw his attention, the wax seal still intact on its surface. Another twinge of guilt hit him at the realization that he was not the intended recipient, but whatever the ring had done to him he was drawn into this now. The more he considered the situation, the more apparent it was that Greene’s adoptive son was likely who the letter was written for, and he was dead now. Right or wrong, Dominic seemed to have taken his place.

He cracked the seal with one stroke, and unfolded the letter.

My dearest Anthony,

I can only assume that you are reading this now because I have passed on. Instructions I left within you have led you to this room and you are here to begin your tasks as Librarian. The change is already upon you now, I should imagine. I apologize for the enforced deception, but this is the way that the tradition has been passed on for generations. Someday you will realize the necessity of it.

The gift, and the curse, that has been bestowed upon you is the most amazing our Order has encountered in the history of Man. To be selected as Librarian is both a duty and an honor, and one that I am quite sure you shall come to enjoy. Soon, the instructions I have left within you will begin to become clear and you will understand the steps you are to take...the research you are to continue...as well as the way you will keep the Order alive.

I calculate that there will be approximately fifteen more of our Order before our Benefactor’s great discovery runs out. The duty you have been given is solemn and ancient, but I know that I have prepared you well to handle it.

It will take some weeks for the change to fully complete within you. You will also need some time to learn the subtlety of your abilities. Toward that end, you should take some time off, away from your duties as Librarian, to sow a few more wild oats before the change is completed.

I have taken the liberty of contacting a travel agent and placing a few instructions ahead of you. He will have already begun work on a vacation that I think you will find suitable. I recommend that you take full advantage of it, while you still can.

Arthur Greene

P.S.: You may become overly curious as to the origins of our Benefactor and the way the Library began. I would counsel against such investigations...others of our Order have attempted them in the past, and I will not hide their works from you, but nonetheless my feeling has always been that there were Dark Arts and Dark People involved in its inception. It has taken generations to wrench this power from the hands of evil men, I pray that you do not take this Order back to that dark road.

Dominic sat back in the chair with a worried expression. Several parts to the letter stood out for him. “...passed on for generations.” Whatever this “Order” was, it had to be very, very old. Greene had used the word “ancient” in reference to it. Some of the works here suggested that this monstrosity dated back to the Dark Ages. “The gift and the curse.” That one was particularly troublesome. “...before the change is complete.” That phrase was disturbingly coupled with “...while you still can.” Dominic found that pair of words more unsettling than the rest. The entire post-script concerning the “Dark Arts and Dark People” (Dominic was careful to note the use of upper case here) mingled harshly with the fact that this legacy had once been a lineage of evil intent.

He started to tabulate the events of the day. Whatever this power was that had been passed down for “generations”, he was now its recipient. It was, apparently, passed down via the ring. The “change” in him was not yet complete, and would not be for some time (Dominic dreaded the thought of what else might yet happen). This power was used to somehow feed a Library with information. He could only assume that the room in which he now sat was “The Library” in question.

The Order that was spoken of was also meant to be extremely secretive. Perhaps this power was too much for those within it? Perhaps it could be used for more than, well, whatever the Library was all about. It was apparent that successors were hand-selected, and from what he could tell of Greene’s background a great deal of time was spent keeping away from the public eye. Greene had been the most reclusive of anyone whose estate he had tried to research. The man had done a fantastic job covering his history, and the history of his lineage.

Dominic supposed that he should acquaint himself with the works of the Library next, once he had finished examining the contents of the safe. He was still entirely unsure how to feel about this whole experience, and as yet had no particular drive to continue the Library’s “good works”, but he could already tell that the power that had somehow been granted him would be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. Whether his were the “right hands” was immaterial, by choice of fate, he had received it.

He also wondered if the effects were reversible.

He opened the remaining volumes from the safe. One appeared to be a diary, the oldest of those he had seen around the room. Opening it revealed an incredibly old work, whose text was written in Latin. He could only pick out small fragments of it, none of the real meaning, and set it aside.

A second volume appeared to be a financial ledger, showing the current status of an account with the Swiss Bank. Dominic’s eyes nearly popped out of their sockets when he saw the final amount present. By his reckoning, the entirety of the estate he had valued, at his most liberal estimates, wouldn’t make a tenth of what this “Order” had secreted away overseas. The ledger also had a packet containing access information for the account, along with a few notes for how to get around security procedures. These were written in Greene’s handwriting, and were very well detailed where the transition of control of the account was concerned. There was a pamphlet, also, for a local travel agent. Inside was written the words “Show me to Mr. Addison, he’ll understand”. Underneath this was a series of numbers, letters, and well...symbols that made no logical sense to Dominic.

Dominic finally looked at the key ring that had been inside the safe. He had only really seen a use for the one key, the strong box key, and was curious as to the others. One he recognized immediately as a passkey, but he could not tell what it was for. The others remained a mystery, though they appeared to be house keys rather than car or utility keys.

He then began a cursory examination of the contents of the library. The early texts were all written in foreign languages, and were of little use. They did, however, include crude pornographic drawings in some cases, with artistic styles ranging across many years. The texts seemed more interested in codifying erotic perversions of their age than arousing their readers.

As he got into later years, he began to find that the styles between Librarians changed dramatically. Some of the entries that he could read indicated well-educated, very analytical study of the subjects encountered. The diaries were not personal accounts of sexual activity. They were, in fact, observational accounts of the activities of others. Tome after tome revealed details of individuals, couples, sometimes-even groups who were compelled to “perform” in front of the Librarian. Sometimes such groups were to perform in front of artists to record the event in sketch or sculpture. Dominic recognized many of the works of art Greene had collected from the sketches contained within these diaries.

Some, especially before the 1800’s, were often brutal and horrifying in their efficiency. Deaths resulted in many cases. Descriptions of many of these entries were too much for Dominic to handle. He began to see what Greene had meant by the “dark road” this Order had once taken. It was clear that for many, the power had gone to their heads, and their control (which seemed almost absolute in some cases), was enough to support their megalomania.

Dominic shuddered as he continued leafing through the books. After the 1800’s, however, it seemed that the Order’s purpose had shifted. Reading further, it seemed that the Library had been housed in the South during the Civil War. Details of what had happened were not easily found, but Dominic could guess that an “unplanned transference” had taken place. Was he now witness to the same thing?

It was only transference if he decided to continue the work.

The most recent works were obviously entries from Greene himself. Handwritten tomes to a point, then a number of notebooks paired with videotapes. Grabbing a tape and a book, he walked over to the video setup and turned on the machinery. Greene had procured an impressive assortment of videotaping equipment, apparently to help supplement his studies. Dominic popped in the tape and opened the Notebook.

Greene Study #13742

Subject Names: Barbara Hampton and Emil Rodriguez

The subjects were taken as strangers off the street. She showed particularly good promise in anally orgasmic ability, he was selected as control subject. Suggestions implanted to explore development of anal intercourse in target male. Note responsiveness and eagerness in female subject. Orgasms were particularly intense, without need of reinforcement. Subject left with only fantastic recollection of events.

Sure enough, the videotape bore out the scene described. It looked like hidden-camera footage taken at some sort of hotel, and played out what could be described as a prototypical “afternoon rendezvous”. Both subjects seemed to enjoy themselves, and the female subject did indeed take her lover a number of ways in her nether regions. Her orgasm was intriguing, and well worthy of its notation.

He fast-forwarded through more of the tape. Each “session” seemed to be taking place in a different room of the same hotel. There was sound and video for all, sometimes spliced together from several different angles. Sometimes it was a lone person, masturbating and thinking aloud about their sexual history. Sometimes it was a couple, sometimes a group. Often they relived experiences from their past, but more often than not they were experimenting with new perversions they had never before tried. Greene apparently felt he was opening up new worlds for his “subjects”, and broadening their outlook on human sexuality. Dominic guessed that the subjects ranged in age from the almost pre-pubescent (though these were rare) up to people in their 60’s and 70’s. They were not all universally attractive, thin, or even skilled, but they were all very closely scrutinized before their selection.

The Library was filled with accounts similar to these. Repeatedly, the researchers had focused on capturing individuals in as many acts of sexuality as they could find. Their goal was to have a record of anything they found that was interesting, and sometimes their goal was to make it interesting. It appeared that no one was free from The Librarian’s whims. Anyone could be a target, and they would do anything they had been selected to do. They would tell anything the researcher wanted to hear, act any way the researcher desired, and most times never even know anything had transpired.

Ultimately, Dominic realized that even he or his wife might have been a subject at one time. In the end, he really didn’t know what to feel about that.

He put the videotapes, notebooks, diaries, and various tomes he had been looking at back to their spots on the shelves. As he picked up the contents of the safe to return them, a small piece of notebook paper fell out.

The paper, when unfolded, revealed a cursory diagram of the ring obviously an attempt to ascertain its underlying mechanism. It was unclear whether the diagram was correct, but it seemed reasonably logical. A pair of needles was shown whose purpose was apparently to draw blood from the victim and transport it to a chamber inside the ring. Gears, or some form of mechanical contrivance scraped away something from the inside of the blue gem the signet had been carved from. Notes were written in connection with the gemstone: “Polymer? Resin? VERY STRONG.” It was apparent that the second needle was meant to inject the dosage back into the victim. The gearing mechanism seemed ingenious, driven by the activation of the catch, the rotation of the ring face, and the pressure on the underside of the ring.

Below this were several jotted notes. “Biochemical change? Recombinant DNA? Viral?” Again, the notes seemed to reflect Greene’s handwriting, but a much more relaxed style than his formal script. There was, however, one phrase at the bottom, which chilled Dominic’s blood...

“Lab tests confirmed—Irreversible.”