The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows 11: Rekindling the Flame

By J. Darksong & Gbrn32e

Epilogue:

“Ugh. Wh... where... where the FUCK am I?”

Whitney Meyers growled, pulling at her restraints, glancing around at her environment. “Let me the fuck out of here!” she yelled, shaking the chair she found herself bound in. She’d been placed in the usual orange prison jumpsuit, though her feet were still bare, with her wrists and ankles shackled into place. “Let me out of here right now, goddamn it!”

“Oh, I don’t think we’ll be doing that, Ms. Toxima,” a gray-haired man called out from beyond the door of her cell. Whitney scowled at the man, pulling ineffectively for a few more seconds out of spite than anything else. “Might as well save your energy, girl. Those shackles and chains are a reinforced tungsten alloy. A bit above your strength level, or so I’m told. Not that it matters. That nifty collar around your neck is the latest in FrasierTech power negation collars, specially designed for someone with your abilities. So you won’t be poisoning anyone, or melting your way free anytime soon.”

“If you know what’s good for you, old man, you’ll let me the FUCK out of here right now!” Whitney growled. “Piss me off and I’ll make your last few seconds of life slow and agonizing!”

“Huh. Wouldn’t be more agonizing than listening to you talk,” the man replied in a bored tone. “In case it’s not obvious to you now, girl, you’re under arrest. And frankly, after everything you’ve done, you’ll be lucky to escape the death penalty.”

“Hah! As if I care! My life was already fucked! I gave up everything to become an angel of death... to finally get my revenge on Luminaire, the so-called Light of Justice.”

“So I heard,” the man said in a deep growl of his own. “But you didn’t make her the sole object of your vengeance, did you? You killed innocent people, scores of them, anyone who got in your way or even crossed your path,” The man shook his head. “You even killed your own mother.”

The haughty smirk on Whitney’s face faded for a moment. “Mom...” she said softly, glancing away. “That was... an accident. I hadn’t fully mastered my powers then.” The hardness returned to her tone. “But in the end, it doesn’t matter, does it? She was the only person left in the world who even gave a damn about me... though not much of one. With her gone, what the hell would I care about any random people in the street?”

“Yes, that’s true, you’d have to have some kind of empathy, feelings, or human consideration to care about other people. But you don’t. Hell, by your own admission, you don’t even care about your own life!” The man shook his head. “Huh. As much as I hate to say it, you’ll probably escape the death penalty after all... you’re completely off your rocker.”

Whitney only laughed, shaking her head. “Says you, gramps. What are you anyway, the county shrink?”

“No, that would be me,” Dr. Eva Snow replied, stepping into view. “Though just from what I’ve heard I would have to agree with Chief Brennan. You are most definitely unhinged. I don’t know if it you were always a sociopath with no feelings, or whether it was part of the... process... that gave you your powers, but you are clearly insane. And as a duly appointed representative, I would have to testify to that effect.” She gave Whitney a big grin. “Plus. on a personal note, simply executing you is letting you off too easy. You deserve to be locked away inside some deep dank dark cell somewhere alone with just your own inner demons for company.”

“Oh no! Katie’s dyke Aunt is pissed at me—oh whatever shall I do?” she said in mock horror. “I’ll be out of here in a week, two tops,” Whitney said smugly. “These stupid gadgets can’t hold me prisoner forever. It’s only a matter of time before I get free again.” She chuckled, relaxing. “If you’re smart, you’ll push the judge to fry my ass and be done with it!” She shrugged. Not that I give a fuck one way or the other. I did what I came to do. I got my revenge. I killed my nemesis. Luminaire’s light had burnt out!”

“Oh, yes, about that,” Eva said, almost as an afterthought. “I’m surprised the Chief didn’t mention that to you earlier. As it turns out, Toxima, Luminaire is still alive and well, recuperating in River City memorial as we speak.”

“WHAT!?!?” Whitney screamed, wrenching at her bonds again. “NO! NO!! That’s not possible! I poisoned her! She was finished! She collapsed on top of me as we were fighting! There’s no way she lived! None! NONE!”

“What can I say?” Eva replied with a wide grin. “She’s one very lucky girl.”

Whitney’s scream of impotent rage was nearly ear shattering. After screaming and cursing for several seconds, she scowled, turning to glare at the doctor and the police Chief. “You two may think you’ve won, but believe me, this only the FUCKING beginning! I will get out of here eventually. And I’ll kill Luminaire. I’ll kill her entire family, parents, her beloved cousins in Midas City, her aunts,” she said giving Eva a smug grin, “her uncles, and her little niece. Then I’ll kill her friends, those stupid angel winged freaks, and those rich ass group she hangs around with! Then, Chiefy, I’ll come after your family, your wife... and daughter, I believe?” Brennan’s expression hardened, his face going red, but Eva placed a hand on his shoulder.

“That’s quite a revenge list you’ve got there, Ms. Toxima,” Eva said candidly. eyes closed. “And I have little doubt that if you actually DID manage to get free somehow, you’d make good on your threats, no matter the risk, or what it took to make it happen. You strike me as someone very, if you excuse the term, ‘committed’ to their cause.” Suddenly her eyes opened, flashing briefly. “But it seems to me, that if you want to carry out your threat, you first need to know the names, and identities, of the people you want to kill.”

“Well, of course, I know their names, duh,” Whitney snapped, scowling back. “I grew up with the bitch and went to school with her, She’s... she’s... umm... wait a second,” she said, frowning, before blinking in shock, “No! NO! I can’t... goddammit! What just happened? I knew her name a second ago! And you. you’re... umm... grrrrrr!” she growled shaking her head. “Why can’t I remember her name? What did you fucking do to me?” she screamed.

“Nothing that you didn’t deserve,” Eva replied, walking calmly away from the cell, the Chief following behind her. After they were out of earshot, Eva sighed heavily. “I trust you don’t have a problem with what just happened back there Chief?” she asked.

“I guess that depends on exactly what happened back there,” he replied. “What DID you do to her?”

“Exactly what it appeared. I erased her memory of Luminaire’s true name and identity, along with the names and identities of everyone in her mind connected to her. I also removed our names and even the images of our faces from her memory as well, in case she ever gets the opportunity to make good on her threats.”

“You think she’s going to escape?” the Chief asked, dubiously. “Even with those fancy high tech gizmos around her neck?”

“Eugene Frasier himself would tell you that no device is completely foolproof. Besides, once she’s locked up in the SuperMax prison, there’s no telling what might happen. Imagine if Stonewall decided to break out and just happened to crash through her cell on his way out?” She sighed again. “After everything that she’s done, the temptation to blank her mind completely is so very strong right now. But that kind of reckless disregard would make me no better than her...”

“Too true, Doc,” the Chief replied wearily. “Too true. I tell you, Doc... that girl is full of darkness. She stared too long into the abyss and it consumed her.” He shook his head. “You have no idea how glad I am, personally, that your niece was able to stop her, and that she pulled through the experience. Both her and her redheaded friend.” He sighed. “The world is dark enough as it is without people like them in it...”

* * *

So, yeah. I lived.

And while that might seem like a foregone conclusion to everyone else, it was a hell of a surprise to me! I’d fully expected to open my eyes and find myself amongst the angels, floating free among the clouds, all the pain and suffering, and worry of this world far behind me. Or, possibly, sitting at a banquet hall in Valhalla, ready to feast before going off to riding off on a winged steed to do battle with other Valkyries... or something like that.

Instead, I cracked open an eye to a splitting headache, and the sight of two very concerned faces staring down at me. Seeing Sioban and Tawnya, for a moment I thought I actually HAD died... until more of the room came into focus, and I noticed the white walls, banks of monitors, and the metal rails on my bed. “Ahhh, hell... in the hospital again,” I managed to croak out.

“You’re finally awake!” Mistress’ voice called out, just before a heavy weight descended on my chest. “Oh, Kitten... don’t you EVER scare me like that again!”

“Yeah,” Tawnya chimed in, her voice heavy with emotion. “Seriously, Katie. One more close call like that, and you won’t have to worry about dying. I’ll freakin’ kill you myself!”

I laughed. Or, warbled, really. My throat felt really dry and scratchy. “Like you two... can talk. I thought you were both dead... that we were all gonna... have a reunion with Jess... up in Heaven.”

“Well, maybe someday,” another female voice called out, causing me to glance to the side, finally noticing that I actually had more visitors spread out about the room, “but hopefully not for a long time to come.” I smiled as Delores Gutierrez came over to the bed, leaning down to kiss my forehead. “How are you feeling sweetie?”

“Better, actually,” I said honestly. “Honestly, I’m just glad everyone else is okay. What happened there at the end, with Whitney? She didn’t escape did she?” I asked, sitting up, the thought suddenly occurring to me.

“No, she’s safely locked up,” Angela Prentiss answered, stepping forward. “The injection you gave her knocked her unconscious long enough for the police to swoop in and secure her.” She shook her head ruefully. “Incidentally, you really should have done what Sioban did and injected yourself with the serum, to counteract the effects, and regroup to take on Toxima a different way. You’re just lucky that Tawnya arrived when she did to give you the antidote before your heart stopped beating.”

“Oh,” I said simply, nodding dumbly. And dumb is right. The thought hadn’t even occurred to me to use the serum to cure MYSELF! I glanced sidelong at Mistress, who continued to hold my hand, softly rubbing the back of it with her thumb. I was unable to look at Tawnya, however, blushing slightly as I realized that the black feathered ‘angel of death’ I’d imagined dropping down from the sky to steal away my soul had actually been HER coming to my rescue. “So, um,” I said, changing the subject, “I take it the antidote worked on everyone who’d been poisoned?”

“Everyone who hadn’t already died from it, yes,” Dee Dee replied with a sad smile. “A lot of the people who came into contact with Whitney weren’t so lucky. But according to Dr. Boardman, everyone who received an injection has recovered, with few if any lingering side effects. In fact, it actually affected normal people without enhanced healing factors better than those who did.”

“Yeah, pretty much,” Tawnya replied with a nod. “I guess that’s why it took me so long to come to after you guys injected me. And when I first work up, it felt kind of like a hangover...” She said, blinking, then hastily added, “Not that I know what that feels like, personally, you know. Just, um, from what I’ve heard.” Several people laughed at that.

“It’s also why you probably thought Toxima had killed me,” Mistress said softly, squeezing my hand gently, lifting it to her lips for a kiss. “When I was poisoned and I injected myself, it felt like the first time I’d tried some of Nigel’s thirty-year-old brandy. I felt literally stone cold drunk, so much I could barely lift my head let alone stand up.”

I grinned slightly at that, leaning into my Mistress, strangely finding the idea of drunk-off-her-ass Bonnie both hilariously funny and endearing. “Well, in the end, it doesn’t matter,” I said resolutely. “We all survived. The rest of the people suffering here in the hospital recovered. And Whitney’s locked up in jail where she can’t hurt anyone else. I’d call that a win for our side.” I smiled, then ruined it by yawning.

“Poor dear. You must be really tired,” Delores said with a nod. “We should leave you alone and let you get some more rest.”

“NO!” I yelped, before adding in a less panicky sounding voice, “I mean, no, you don’t have to go. Please, stay as long as you want!”

“Dee Dee is right, Kitten, you do need your rest,” Sioban said wisely, causing me to visibly pout, “but I think perhaps it would be okay if we stayed a while longer, just until you drifted off to sleep.”

“Deal,” I said, yawning again, getting a round of soft giggles from the lovely young women surrounding me. I sighed softly, feeling more than a bit tired. Drained, actually. I did have an enhanced healing ability like my two Angels, though mine was a lot weaker than theirs, especially after they’d been ‘upgraded’ by Devon, or Skuld, or whomever she was now. And I hadn’t exactly been at my peak before all of this happened.

“In case you’re wondering,” Angela said, prompting me to glance back up at her, “Nigel, your parents, and the rest of the group did come by to check up on you earlier when you were first brought in. Not that we could fit everyone in her at one time, but yes, you’ve had quite a few people checking up on you to make sure you were okay.”

That was good to know. I had, actually, been wondering if my family had been by. That they had was comforting, and I knew I should be satisfied with that, but I just couldn’t stop myself from asking. “Um... did everyone from the Towers come by to visit me?” I asked, wincing myself at just how much pleading was in my voice. And when Dee Dee and Angie glanced at each other, not sure how to answer, and T-baby pointedly avoided my gaze, I knew the answer even without the words.

“It’s not like Connie wasn’t concerned about you, Kitten,” Mistress tried, her tone gentle. “She was here at the hospital, and she did ask about you, but then Patricia was called in to her office for an important meeting, and Nigel had to rush back to the office as well... and she went with him...”

“It’s okay, Mistress,” I said, forcing a smile. “The fact that she asked about me is enough. And I can’t expect everyone to drop everything on a dime to come babysit me every time I end up in the hospital.” I managed a shaky laugh. “We used to joke about Jimmy earning frequent visitor points at the hospital, but I guess I’m starting to catch up with him.”

“Well, Gee, Sis,” Jimmy said, walking into the room, “I know how much you like things between us to be equal, and all, but you might be going a bit overboard.”

“Jimmy!” I cried out in surprise, hugging my big brother warmly.

“In the flesh. And I brought a visitor with me, our ‘cousin’ from the extra-dimensional homeworld, Sanctuary. Everyone, I’d like you to meet Lana LaSilvas.”

“Charmed,” she said seductively, stepping up to the bed to take my hand, kissing it gently. with just the tiniest hint of tongue, enough to make me shudder slightly. “And definitely delighted, to be in the presence of so many lovely young ladies,” she added, greeting everyone in turn. Turning back to me, she smirked. “I’m glad to see you are alive and well, Katherine, but I must say that having spent some time with your brother, I don’t see the family resemblance. You and he are twins, are you not?”

I glanced at Jimmy, who smirked at me. We stared into each others’ eyes for a long moment, then I blinked, grinning back up at Lana. “Yes, believe it or not, we are twins. We used to be identical until about age 6. Long story. But,” I added with a glint of my own, “I have heard quite a bit about you, Lana... or do you prefer your middle name ‘Lunarius’?” She blinked, her jaw visibly dropping. “And that your favorite color is periwinkle blue, the same color as a certain former girlfriend’s eyes. And that apparently mint chocolate chip ice cream is your favorite snack food ever.”

Lana glanced between me and Jimmy and back again. “Okay, how in the world—”

“Twins,” Jimmy and I said simultaneously. “It’s our thing.” Tawnya and Sioban burst out laughing, and Dee Dee and Angie chuckled lightly. “Sorry,” I said gently, as Lana’s face began to redden. “Just showing off a little. Jimmy and I have a kind of psychic bond with each other. We can communicate without talking, share thoughts and feelings, and know when each other is in trouble.”

“Don’t feel bad,” Tawnya said, barely controlling her giggles. “It freaked us out a bit too when they first demonstrated it to us! You get used to it.”

“And for what it’s worth,” I said with a bit of a leer of my own, “Jimmy didn’t tell me EVERYTHING about you. For example, I have no idea where you are most ticklish...” which caused her to somehow blush even deeper.

“Down, girl,” Sioban said, smirking, but with enough of an edge in her voice that I picked up on her tone.

“Ma’am, yes ma’am,” I said nodding, leaning into her again, snuggling. Hey, I was a kind of a shameless flirt, but I knew where my heart truly lay.

We descended into small talk—or in my brother’s case, nerd talk—for a bit longer, and I found myself drifting off twice when Delores decided to put her foot down. “All right everyone. That’s enough,” she said firmly. “Our young heroine needs her rest. We can all talk and catch up later after she’d had a chance to recover more.” I felt a slight panic as everyone stood up to leave, but again, Mistress calmed me with a touch.

“I’m staying with you, Kitten,” she said gently. “Don’t worry.”

“Okay, but... Tawnya, can you stay too, please?” I asked, calling out to her before she reached the door.

“Um, okay, if you’re sure?” she asked, glancing over at Dee Dee expecting her to disapprove, only to find her nodding. Shrugging, she retook her seat on the opposite of the bed, and I let out a soft sigh of contentment. After a moment I glanced over at Mistress Sioban, who nodded her approval.

“Tawnya,” I began, only to yawn again. “Ughh... dammit,” I grumbled as she giggled. “Yeah, I’m tired, but I want to say this before I drift off to sleep. T-baby. Bonnie and I have talked it over, and we want you with us.”

Tawnya blinked. “Um, yeah? I am with you,” she answered, but I shook my head.

“I mean... with us, with us. You’ve been giving us our space, letting Mistress and I figure out our relationship. getting used to all the little nuances, and such, and basically bonding to each other.” I turned my head instinctively, just as Mistress leaned in for a kiss, our lips joining sweetly for a brief moment. “And we thank you for that. It was a good thing. But now, we want you back, okay? No more shutting yourself off away from us, okay?”

T frowned slightly, biting her lip. “Look, I get what you’re saying, okay? Maybe I did take it to a bit of an extreme... but you two are a couple now. I don’t want to be a fifth wheel, always around, getting in the way of things, yanno?”

“But you’re NOT a fifth wheel,” Sioban insisted. “You’re our partner. In every sense of the word. And we want you to be our girlfriend as well... if you want to, I mean,” she added, as I squeezed her hand for support.

“Girlfriend?!?”

“Why not?” I asked. “I mean, it works for Nigel well enough. He loves all of his women just the same... in different ways, maybe, but equally. You live in the household, T. Do you for a second think Nigel loves Angela any less than he loves Patricia? Yes, he married Patty, and she is special to him... but it does nothing to diminish the love he has for Angie, or her for him. Or for Angela and Patricia for each other. And we love you just as much!”

Tawnya looked conflicted. Hopeful, which I loved, but conflicted. “But... but what about Nigel? And the others? I’m HIS slave first and foremost,” she pointed out.

“I know, baby,” Sioban replied, “and we wouldn’t begrudge you your time with Nigel and the others. Any more than you begrudging private time with Katie and myself. We’re not asking you to choose between us and Nigel. But Tawnya, sweetie... it’s completely up to you. We love you, and we just want you to know how much you mean to us.”

“Geez,” she said sniffling a bit, eyes wet. “Talk about putting a girl on the spot. But... yeah,” she said, reaching out, taking both of our hands. “I love you guys too. I’ll want to talk things over with Master, and get his approval first... but yeah. I think I’d like it if we all became closer that way.”

“Yeah... me too,” I said, yawning again. “Mmm... sorry guys... think I’m at about the end of my stamina for now...” I said sleepily. “But um... it would really be awesome... if you... stayed...” I managed just before my eyes slammed shut.

“Don’t worry, Katie, we’ll stick with ya,” Tawnya said in a soft gentle voice, running a hand gently along her cheek. “You’re not getting rid of us anytime soon. That’s a promise.”

* * *

“And you’re sure this will give us what you’ve promised?”

The elderly man with the eye patch chuckled. “Exactly as promised. You will have more than enough power to deal with your enemies and the police seeking to shut down your organization.”

The man nodded, closing the small case of vials, handing it to his underling. He snapped his fingers, and a second minion stepped forward, handing over a metal briefcase, which the older man took. “Hmmm... very nice,” he said, looking through the thick stacks of hundred dollar bills. “I trust it’s all there?”

“Of course Doc. I’m a man of my word after all.” the man chuckled. Nodding to his minions, he and the others backed away, leaving the doctor alone with his money. Satisfied with the transaction, he closed the suitcase and turned to leave as well.

“Looks like someone’s been busy these days.”

Dr. MacDonald whirled around, wide-eyed, a gun clutched in his hand. “Wh-WHAT? No! It can’t be!” he gasped in shock as the intruder stepped into view. “Frasier? It’s you,” he said lowering the gun. “For a moment there I thought you were your brother.”

Eugene paused, frowning. “I’ll try not to consider that an insult,” he said wryly. “So, Doctor. You seem to have recovered after your run in with Wyldcard and Ultra Girl.”

MacDonald scowled at the reminder. “And you seem rather lively for a dead man,” he snapped. “I heard the Master ripped your beating heart from your chest.”

“Yes, but I got better,” Gene replied blandly. “But we were talking about you Doctor. You and your new ‘hobby’, of selling your services to the highest bidder. So... what was it you just gave your newest customer, hmm? Something to make them dangerous... like the girl you set after my daughter?” The doctor stiffened. “Aye, I know all about that. And I performed a detailed generic scan on her when the police brought her in. It wasn’t enough to corrupt that poor girl with your evil... you used my daughter’s own genetic code!”

“It was merely a tool,” MacDonald countered, raising his gun again, “and implement to aid me in my endeavors. Kind of like your armor, Mr. Frasier, which I can’t help but notice you’re without.”

If Eugene was unnerved by the gun, he didn’t show it. “Aye, yer former boss did a number on my previous suits, and I haven’t really gotten around to rebuilding them yet.” He shrugged. “It’s on my ‘to do’ list... right after making sure yer no longer a threat to the world at large.”

The doctor laughed. “I see. So you tracked me all the way from River City here to Omaha, Nebraska, just to bring me to justice.” He took aim at the Scotsman’s head. “And you didn’t even bring your armor, or your insanely overpowered wife with you? That was a mistake.” Pulling the trigger, he let out a cry of pain, however, as the gun was shot out of his hand.

“I never said I was defenseless, mind,” Eugene said calmly, taking out a small gun of his own from his coat pocket. “And I never said I was here alone. You made that assumption, lad. I may be a lot of things, but the one thing I’m not is stupid.”

MacDonald’s eyes narrowed. “Fine. You’re here to end me, are you? Go ahead and try. Your brother was also a lot of things, but if there was any word I’d use to describe him, it would be ‘genius’. The treatments he gave me made me virtually immortal. A fact that I can attest to, having been his first true test subject.” He crossed his arms over his chest. “There’s nothing you can do to me to match the torments I’ve already endured at his hands!”

“Perhaps,” Eugene said, firing, the gun making a soft pfft! sound as it fired a dart directly into the stunned doctor’s neck. “Perhaps,” he said again, pocketing the weapon, “but then again, my brother and I have always had very different views on most things.” He turned to walk away.

“What? That’s it?” MacDonald called after him. “After everything you said about stopping me, about making sure I was no threat to you or your family, all you do is shoot me with a dart gun then walk away? Perhaps Duncan overestimated you after all... you really ARE a fool.” Eugene paused, then slowly turned back to face him.

“Ye ken… I was going to simply walk away and let you discover what I’d done on your own,” he growled softly, “but then ye had to utter that accursed name aloud. So I think now I’ll tell you what’s happening to you. Not that knowing the truth will help in any way,” he added, shaking his head, “but I suppose I’d best explain it while you can still appreciate the concept. I injected you with a specially programmed dose of nanites, set to travel through your blood vessels up into your brain. Once there, they’ll set about depolarizing a very select group of neurons in your parietal lobe.”

MacDonald gaped at him. “You... you’re giving me brain damage?!?” he yelled, outraged. “Are you out of your mind?” He moved threateningly towards Eugene, only to pause as a gunshot cracked the pavement at his feet. “It won’t work, anyway,” he grumbled sullenly. “Whatever damage your little machines do, it will just heal! I’ve been fucking decapitated before, Frasier,” he said challenge in his voice. “You can’t threaten or scare me.”

“Aye, I’m aware,” Gene replied blandly. “I gave the files I lifted from my brother’s hard drive a thorough read through, and I know very well what he put you through. And you’re right—any damage I do to your brain will simply heal in a matter of hours. Alas, the same cannae be said of the knowledge ye’ve accumulated over the years now, can it?” The haughty smirk on the doctor’s face faded. “Neurons are like the memory banks of the human brain. Memories are stored as electrical patterns, like the electronic signal stored in a magnetic strip. And even a damaged and broken computer can have its data salvaged as long as that pattern remains.” He held up the dart gun again. “Right about now, those nanites I injected ye with are busy erasing a very specific set of neuron patterns—the knowledge and memories most vital to any true scientist!” Eugene flashed him a savage grin. “I’ve taken away your numbers, doctor.”

“What? Numbers?” MacDonald replied, confused. “What the hell do you mean? How can you take away someone’s numbers? It’s... impossible!”

“It wasnae easy,” he admitted, “finding the exact set of neurons in a sea of billions, even knowing which area to focus on. But I was particularly motivated.” Kneeling down, he opened the briefcase MacDonald had obtained and took out two stacks of bills.

“What the hell! You’re robbing me now as well?”

Eugene smiled. “Let’s just say I’m making a donation in your name. Besides, what do you care? There’s plenty left... or is there? How much would you say I’ve taken? One-tenth? A half? Ninety percent?” MacDonald gaped at him, uncomprehendingly. “I see those words no longer hold any meaning for you. Ah well... you still have plenty left. Don’t spend it all in one place... if you can help it!” He turned to walk away again.

“Damn you!” the doctor yelled, charging after him, only to fall painfully to the ground in agony as yet another shot rang out, taking out his right knee. Gene kept walking, heedless of the mad doctor’s screams and curses, making his way down the path past the car park, and up the hill, where another man stood, holding a rifle.

“Mission accomplished,” Eugene said, nodding. “And thanks for the support.”

“Not a problem, sir,” Sgt. Hank Matthews replied with a nod. “Just glad to be of some use again after all this time on medical leave. I gotta ask, though,” he said, disassembling his weapon, “that thing you used on him, that made him forget how to use numbers... that’s really a thing?”

Gene nodded wearily. “Aye. It was actually more of an afterthought really. The original concept was to simply blank out his entire mind, and leave him a drooling mindless vegetable with no memories whatsoever,” he said harshly, before softening. “Aye... and ye dinnae ken how tempting it was to do just that. But, well, Eva said she faced the same moral decision earlier, and managed to refrain from taking the dark path... so I figured I could do no less.”

“Hmm. I understand. Still... it seems a pretty potent weapon,” he mused, being able t o permanently erase a section of memories from a person’s mind. Could there ever be a good reason to use such a device on someone?”

“Aye... I can think of at least one,” Gene said, glancing at him sidelong. “An acquaintance of mine recently went through a severe trauma. He’d been captured and tortured then turned by an enemy, turned into their willing obedient slave. And she made him do some very bad things, including killing several of his own friends and comrades. He was eventually rescued and released from her control, but the memories of what he’d done haunted him. Worse,” Gene said with distaste, “the process in which he’d been... conditioned... made him dream of his former Mistress, and long to return to her, despite everything she’d done to him. The guilt made him attempt suicide.”

Hank nodded. “I guess I can understand that. So... did it work on him? Was it able to help your friend?”

“Aye,” Gene replied with a sad smile. “It did indeed. He no longer even remembers there WAS an incident, let alone what occurred. He’s back to his old cheerful self again.”

“That’s good to hear. Well, Sir, if we’re finished here, we’d better get headed back. I’ll see you at the car.”

“Roger that, Sergeant,” Gene said softly, watching the former soldier head back out. “Aye. It really is true. Ignorance is bliss...”

* * *

Connie knocked on Dee-Dee’s open bedroom door. “Hey, Dee, do you have a few minutes?”

Delores turned from her dresser mirror but kept brushing her glossy jet-black hair. “Sure, honey, have a seat.” She patted the chair beside her own. “What can I do for you?”

“I. ah, had another one... another vision.”

“Ha! Wrong mentor, dear,” she replied with a grin. “Shouldn’t you be telling Eva about it instead of me?”

“Dee... you were in it.”

That caught her attention. “Oh, ah, okay...”

“It was just a couple of seconds,” Constance continued, staring down at her hands, “but I saw you slap Nigel really hard, and then you buried your head in his chest and started crying.”

Delores put down her brush. Connie couldn’t help but notice that Dee-Dee’s hand was trembling a bit as she did so. “Ah, yes... that happened when Silver Girl freed me. But Connie, from what you’ve told me before, these visions are always related to what’s going on right then with YOU. Can you give me some context? I mean, you know, without betraying any confidences or anything.”

“It was the other day when Katie approached me in the woods behind the Prentiss mansion. She wanted me to fucking forgive her, to ‘kiss and make up’, and of course I was outraged!”

“Really? Why?”

“Dee-Dee, c’mon! She made me betray everyone I loved! She made me betray YOU! She made me betray NIGEL!” Connie could see the light come on in Dee-Dee’s eyes.

“Okay, that explains it,” said Delores softly. “Did you know why I turned into a raging, grieving, emotional mess after Nigel freed me?”

“I, no, ah, I figured you’d tell me if you thought it was any of my business,” said Connie, somewhat offended, “You know I don’t go snooping in your head just because I can!”

“Of course, baby, of course. It’s just that, well, you know that, um, in the beginning, Nigel captured the three of us against our will.”

“Uh, NO! I... I guess I... never thought about it,” she admitted. “I guess I just thought it was, y’know, kinda consensual, like with me.”

Delores shook her head. “No, not in the slightest. I was the first. My dance studio was losing money and going under, when, out of nowhere, this ‘angel investor’ came to save the day. It was Nigel, of course. He fixed everything for like only a twenty percent share in the studio. I was ecstatic! It was only later that I found out that he was the one who had engineered all my money problems in the first place.” She sighed softly in memory. “Anyway, I was thrilled to be saved from bankruptcy, or worse. So when he asked me to come to Grimalde Tower to sign some papers, I was more than happy to go there. Of course, at that point, it had been like four or five years since I had given up my Tear and retired. Just one of his goons was more than sufficient to subdue me and load me onto the slave trainer kicking and screaming.”

Connie gasped, shocked at how different her willing submission to Nigel had been than Dee-Dee’s nearly literal mind-rape.

“Yeah, true story,” Dee Dee continued, her voice soft, subdued. “Twelve hours later... well... YOU know how willing I would be... how... eager to please I would be... He made me give up all the secrets of the Tearbearers, all our powers, all our weaknesses, our history, everything. He made me... He made me...”

Delores clenched her eyes shut and sobbed. Connie stood there for a long moment, stunned, not sure what to do when finally she managed to voice the source of her pain.

“Connie, he made me betray Angela!” she told her, agonized. “He had me slip her a ‘catalyst and reagent’ knockout drug, then made me load her onto a slave trainer to torture her with orgasm denial! YOU’VE heard the stories about how Angie was back then, how I almost PERMANENTLY wrecked that beautiful, beautiful mind. And... Patricia as well... I... made her turn the machine on herself...” Delores paused again, too overwhelmed to speak.

“Nigel... he did this to you?!?” Connie asked, barely containing her rage.

Delores nodded her head vigorously, wiped her eyes and continued. “Yeah, but it gets worse. Even knowing that Nigel had forced me to do those awful things... didn’t help me at all. I’ve carried the guilt and shame of those betrayals around for two decades. He made me tell awful lies for him. He made me hurt people I cared about. Connie, he made me betray my FRIENDS!”

Through clenched teeth, Connie asked, “How can you still BE here? How can you be with Nigel and not want to kill him? I want to kill him right now just hearing about all this!”

Delores let out a soft sigh. “I could try to explain it, but you’d never believe me. You have my permission, Connie. Look inside my head and tell me what you see.”

Connie paused and concentrated, and an expression of awe slowly transformed her features. “Oh... oh my God! He fell in love with you, with all three of you!! He knew he had screwed you up but... he never stopped looking for a way to try to fix you. And... and you loved him too! You loved him enough...”

“... that I forgave him when he set me free,” she finished for her. “Yes, I still had a lot of shit to deal with, but I never stopped loving him, because during all the slave years he had never stopped loving me, damaged though I was.”

“I... Dee-Dee, I don’t know that I have it in me to be that big of a person. I don’t know if I can forgive her.” Connie admitted, turning away.

“I know, but, think dear, throughout this whole mess, has Katie ever stopped loving you?”

“I don’t know what she... wait...I... no. No, Dee-Dee, I don’t think she has.” Connie answered, somewhat stunned by the answer.

“Well, I guess you have some things to think about then, hmm?” Delores said, forcing a smile, even as she wiped her tears. Unable to hold back, Constance hugged her tightly.

“Um, yeah... Dee-Dee... I love you so much! I would never have made the grade here without you. You know that, don’t you?”

“It was my pleasure, honey! You’re so easy to love. I couldn’t let you down. I know you love me, and I take great pride in being someone that Constance Yamanohana loves. And I know you love Nigel too, no matter how mad you are at him right now. So... tell me... how do you feel about Katie?”

“I...” Constance managed before closing her mouth again. Her gut churning, her emotions and thoughts roiling, unable to face the older woman, the BETTER woman, any longer, Connie turned and fled the room...

* * *

My gut was churning, and thoughts and emotions roiling like crazy as I made my way into the living quarters at the Grimalde Towers once more. It was a very nice place, the kind of penthouse apartment that reminded me of ‘The Suite Life of Zack and Cody’ back in its heyday. I’d always thought it would be so cool to be a kid growing up in a place like that. And it certainly seemed to agree with Justine and Robbie.

The thing was, I was here to have it out with Connie, one last time, one final FINAL chance to clear the air between us. I wasn’t feeling especially optimistic, though. Not coming to visit me at the hospital spoke volumes... though the fact that she’d asked about me to Delores made me hopeful. Even if she hated my guts and couldn’t stand to be in the same room with me, she did at least care if I lived or died.

I gasped, clutching the wall for a moment as a wave of weakness ran through me. I wasn’t really supposed to be here. Technically, I was SUPPOSED to be on medical bed rest, confined to the bed, bathroom, maybe the dining room if I was feeling adventurous. But we Supers tend to make lousy patients anyway, and it wasn’t too hard to convince the cute nurse attending me to allow me out for ‘a bit of fresh air’. Besides... this was important. And I needed to do this now, while I still had the courage to go through with it.

I paused just outside the door to Justine’s room, sighing softly. She was a sweet kid... and reminded me a lot of myself at that age, trying to fit in, trying to figure out my place in the world, while constantly comparing myself to a perfect mother, a genius father, and a brother who could seemingly do no wrong. I truly adored her, and her brother Robbie. And their mom and dad. And Angela, and Delores, and Darryl. I loved all of them. And... if things didn’t go well with Constance, it would break my heart to never see any of them again.

Outside Connie’s room, I took a moment to steel myself, take a deep breath... then knocked once and stepped inside without waiting for her to answer. Constance Yamanahano glanced up as she heard the door to her room open, then sighed loudly, rolling her eyes skyward. “You again? Can’t you just take a hint and leave me the fuck alone?” she yelled, incensed, as I closed the door gently behind me. “I have nothing to say to you, Katie! Nothing! All I want is for you to leave me alone, okay? Is that so much to ask for? LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE!”

“I intend to,” I said in a calm voice, pausing to lock the door. “But I have something I need to get off my chest first.” She stared at me for a long moment, then rose to her feet, as if heading to the door. “And you’re going to listen to me, Constance,” I added, using my light to create a lattice of bars across the doorway, blocking her way. “I’m not here to hurt you. Or do anything other than talk. But I am going to say my piece before I leave.”

“I told you, I have nothing to say to you!” she said angrily, returning to her bed.

“That’s okay. You don’t have to talk, Connie,” I said quietly. “I know exactly how you feel about me. You’ve made it abundantly clear. And for what it’s worth, I’m sorry. About everything. About hurting you. And I’m sorry for doing this,” I said, gesturing awkwardly, “this way. But I figured this would be the only way you’d sit still and actually hear what I have to say. And you can forget trying to bash me around with your telekinesis,” I added. “I don’t have much of a defense against psychic attacks, but I’ve got my luck going full steam, so I’m willing to bet it won’t work.”

Connie said nothing, merely staring at me, eyes wide, nostrils flared. I winced inwardly at her expression, feeling my heart clench even tighter. She was afraid of me, I suddenly realized... scared that this was all some setup to mess with her again, to try and FORCE her to forgive me by screwing with her mind. It hurt to see it on her face... but I guess I couldn’t blame her for not trusting me.

“It’s okay, Connie,” I said sadly, walking over to her bed to sit down facing her. “I told you, I’m just here to talk.” I sighed softly, then turned to face her eye to eye. “After I’d had my say, I’ll leave. I’ll walk out, and if you wish it, you won’t ever have to speak to me ever again.” I sighed inwardly. I hoped to God that she wouldn’t insist on that, that somehow, someway, my words might evoke the slightest bit of mercy from her. But I wasn’t going to kid myself.

“Earlier this week, the police dropped Whitney Meyers off at the maximum security prison,” I told her, staring down at my hands crossed in my lap. “She was one of my oldest friends from back in the day. We used to be really close, but then one day, all out of the blue, she suddenly went cold to me. She may have thought she hid it pretty well, but I knew there was something between us. So... I did what I always try to do. I tried to make it up to her. I apologized, even though I had no idea what I’d done wrong. Which only made things worse. So, I started spending more time with her, including her in things Jess and I did, spending money on her, buying her things, taking her places, just trying to please her. And the more attention I gave her, the harder I tried to make up for whatever I’d done, the more I seemed to piss her off.” Connie merely blinked, saying nothing.

“We were all still ‘friends’” I continued, using my fingers to make quote marks. “She still hung around... but it was mostly because we had the same circle of friends. She’d put on a fake smile, and make ‘jokes’ at my expense, and I’d laugh and pretend that it was just a joke. But the situation didn’t improve.” I closed my eyes for a moment. “I don’t know... maybe I should have tried harder to be her friend, maybe held an intervention or something, cornered her in a room like this and FORCED her to tell me point blank why she hated me so much. But... I didn’t. And after high school, we kind of lost touch with each other... until a year or so ago, when Mom got kidnapped, and we met up with each other again. And Whitney, who I still thought of as a friend, tried to kill me... strangling me from behind with a chain. Luckily... yes, luckily the chain was old and worn, and it snapped before she could throttle me.”

The memory was still fresh in my mind, and my hand went reflexively to my neck. I was pretty sure Connie wasn’t reading my thoughts. She had so much better control over her powers now than when we’d first met. A part of wished that she HAD delved into my head, had seen what I’d experienced. To know that I knew what it felt like to be betrayed by someone you thought was your friend. Whitney’s attack had come completely out of the blue. We’d both been held captive in a cell by mom’s old nemesis just moments before. We’d even shared a moment. Whitney had come clean about why she’d hated me all those years, and we’d reconciled. Or, at least I’d thought so. I’d even planned to maybe hook up with her later, that maybe she and Jess and I might share a night together, getting closer. But then she’d betrayed me... attacking me from behind, all with savage vindictive glee as she happily tried to choke me to death.

“She went to jail,” I continued on after a moment, “given five years for third-degree assault. It would have been ten years, but I personally went to court for her and asked for leniency. And as she walked past me in handcuffs, she repaid that bit of kindness by spitting on me,” I smiled sadly at that. “Pathetic, huh? The girl tries to kill me and I still go out of my way to try and help her.” I lowered my head, turning away as my eyes grew wet. “Well... in the end, it didn’t even matter. She broke out of jail a few weeks ago when I had my... episode,” I remarked, wincing visibly, “and met up with an old friend of my Uncle Duncan Frasier. He gave her a new genetic makeover and turned her into a Super. According to my dad, the process would have sheer agony, like being slowly dissolved in acid from the inside out. ‘Toxima’, as she calls herself now, did all of that just so she would have enough power to finally kill me, and anyone important to me. She tried to kill Tawnya. She almost killed Sioban. And she nearly killed me. But I stopped her. And I sent her back to jail again.”

I stood up from the bed, glancing down at Constance, who merely stared back at me, her face an emotionless mask. “You’re probably wondering what the point of all this was, what my troubles with a former friend turned super villain have to do with you? Well, that’s the thing. Whitney hates me, Connie... hates me so deeply and so absolutely that she willingly turned herself into Toxima in order to get her revenge. I talked to Angela and my dad, and they both agree. Whatever MacDonald did to her is permanent. Her body is so completely poisonous that her breath, her touch, her bodily secretions will kill a normal person in a few seconds. There’s no going back for her. Even if she manages to break out one day and kill me, there’s nothing else left for her. She’ll never have a normal life again. Ever.”

Perhaps it was just my imagination or maybe hopeful thinking, but for just a moment, I saw a flicker of emotion cross Connie’s face. “That’s why I came here to talk to you, Connie,” I said, finishing my sad little speech. “The last time we talked, you said you hated me. I know you said it to hurt me... and it did. A lot. But I also know that when you said those words, even if it was just in the moment, you meant them. You hated me. And Connie... I don’t want you to hate me. Not for myself,” I said, raising a hand, forestalling the comment I saw coming, “but for YOU, Connie. It’s okay if you never forgive me. I’ll never stop reaching out to you as a friend, and never stop hoping it will happen one day...” I faltered there for just a second before regaining my composure, “but if not, I can accept it. But I’ve seen what hatred does to a person—how it twists and changes you. Whitney didn’t start off as a cold blooded killer. But keeping all of that pain and anger and hatred inside, holding onto it for so long... it turned her into one. And I don’t want that to happen to you. Because I’m definitely not worth it.” Leaning forward, I gave her a quick kiss on the forehead, then turned on my heel, gesturing to the door, causing my Light to fade away, freeing the exit.

I’d said what I’d come to say. It was over and done with now. I’d made my point clear. And Connie... she’d made hers. I stepped through the doorway—

“Wait!”

I froze, heart thudding in my throat, waiting, not even daring to turn around.

“Look... Katie, I still have a lot of issues with you... a LOT of issues.” She sighed softly. “But I can at least promise you this. I will think, deeply, about what you have said here today. And I will try as hard as I can NOT to do anything that will tear our two families apart. I cannot promise that I will ever be your friend again. I cannot promise that I will ever... trust... you, ever again. But I don’t want to be a person who lets rage and hatred eat her up inside.”

I couldn’t help myself. I broke down, crying and sobbing like a little girl. I was just so... so... emotionally wrung out. I felt a touch on my arm, and turned to find Constance standing beside me.

“I want to tell you one last thing... but you are NOT to treat this as some ridiculous ‘thread of hope’.” she snapped, sounded somehow irritated and flustered at the same time. “I... just very recently... discovered that someone I love and respect... very, very much... caused someone else I love and respect very, very much... to commit betrayal after betrayal... far worse than any of the betrayals you made me commit. And yet... I still love him. So I don’t see how I can... POSSIBLY... forgive this other person, whom I love, without feeling like a total jackass hypocrite for not forgiving you too.”

With that, she returned to her room and closed her door. I stood there in the hallway for a long moment, letting my tears run their course. Maybe. No... it was more than a maybe. It was an eventually. Some day, when the hurt wasn’t still so raw, she would welcome me back as her friend. And... she didn’t hate me after all.

I headed off to the balcony, to fly back to the hospital to rest. I’d come here expecting the worst, prepared to close this chapter of my life for good. Because as much as I loved the Grimalde clan, it would be too hard to hang around them knowing that one of them refused to accept me. Eventually, it would end up with everyone picking a side, either mine of Connie’s. The last thing I wanted to do was come between them or cause any ill will between them on my behalf. I’d been prepared to sever ties with everyone but Tawnya and Mistress Sioban. But now, it appeared that it wasn’t necessary after all.

I’d come here resigned to loss, of a friendship, of a family, of a part of my life that I cherished, but I was leaving with something I’d never expected. Hope.

* * *

Lacie Frasier peered down at the small group of people below her for a moment, contemplating. She’d just traveled from her home in River City across the country over to Europe a plan already in mind. The anomaly she’d sensed was directly below her, or at least part of it, anyway, and the idea had been to question them, ascertain exactly what they were here for and what their intentions were. The idea was to remain aloof and objective, in case she was forced to act, to remove them from this timeline back to their own dimension, forcibly if necessary.

But then she’d locked eyes with the leader, a tall wiry muscled dark haired youth, and her conviction had burned away to ash, and blown away in the wind. She’d never seen him before in her life, never met him, and sure as hell never given birth to him. And yet... from that single glance she knew with every fiber of her being that this was her child... every bit as much her offspring as Jimmy and Katie. This was her son.

They all watched her warily as she landed a few steps away, shock and awe on their faces... along with an unmistakable bit of fear. Lacie’s throat felt dry, and her lips moved, the name coming to her unbidden as if she’d always known it. “Kyle,” she said, taking a step towards him... only to pause as the two women with him moved instantly in front to guard him, while the boy and his friend stiffened, going into a fighting stance as if expecting her to attack.

“Mom,” the dark haired boy replied simply, nodding once, a small circle of metal flowing over him, forming a kind of high tech armor all around him. Lacie couldn’t help but grin at that.

High tech armor, hmm? Just like Eugene’s. Mistress Fate certainly has a warped sense of humor.

Aloud, she said, holding up her hands in supplication, “Please, relax. I’m not here to cause any trouble. I merely came to talk.” She sighed softly as they held their ground. “I know this is all very strange. We need to take a moment and compare notes. Let me start off by saying that I know pretty much what’s going on here—that you are all from a world beyond this one, this ‘Season of Storms’, as you call it.” That at least got a reaction. The taller more muscular girl relaxed slightly, though the smaller one remained on guard. And Kyle rescinded his helmet and face mask, showing his true face again.

Damn... he is a handsome kid, Lacie thought wistfully, no wonder his lady friends are so eager to defend him. I bet he’s quite the charmer. Sighing softly, she continued. “I’m also aware that you all arrived in this world at different points in time, instead of simultaneously as you’d planned.And I know that you can’t go back home... that your plan to alter history and save your world has fallen through—”

“WHAT?!?” the tall girl and younger boy exclaimed in shock.

“Fuck...” Kyle muttered loudly. “Forgot to mention that part, didn’t I?”

“What the hell? We came all this way for nothing?” Hack cried out, despondent.

“Our world... all those people....” Tone cried, tears forming in her soft blue eyes.

Lacie sighed softly, her heart going out to them. The worst part was that SHE was responsible for bringing them here. Well, not HER, not Lacie Frasier... but Verdandi, the goddess, the entity from their home world, the version of herself that guarded time in their dimension... SHE had sent them to this world, knowing what the price would be, knowing that their great plan, their sacrifice, would be in vain. She told them briefly about Sarah, about the Domina Argenti, her time crossed twin that had attempted to change history as well... with disastrous results.

It was a hard lesson, and one that she herself had taken to heart. Messing with time always carried grave consequences. It was why she and the other Nornir guarded it so fiercely, allowing travel between worlds, between dimensions but not forward or back in time in one’s own dimension. That said... the smart thing to do would be to transport the lot of them back to their dimension, to their own dead world to prevent her own from being damaged by their presence... or more mercifully, sending them to an alternate world, a better world, as the Verdandi of Seasons had.

But she already knew she wouldn’t. This was her son, her flesh and blood. And even though she’d just met him for the first time today, the bond between them was undeniable. She could no more send him away to his own fate than she could Jimmy or Katie.

“Look,” she said, interrupting their talking again. “This is all well and good, but we really need to move this along. We all have a lot to talk about.. but it’s the middle of the night back home in River City. You lot may have acclimated to the time change on the flight over, but we’re in the middle of my bedtime. How about we finish this back home in a few hours, say, over a mug of hot coffee?”

“Yeah, that might be best,” Kyle agreed.

“And how do we do that?” the other boy, Hack, asked. “It’ll take us forever to book a flight and get all the way back to River City.”

“Don’t be stupid, Hack,” Kyle scoffed, rolling his eyes.

“Jason, she’s Omega Girl,” Tone added. “She can basically do anything!”

“Well, maybe not ANYTHING,” Kyle replied with a grin at me. “But she can easily fly us back.”

“Better yet, I can teleport us all back,” she said. “And don’t worry, I can bring you back here anytime you need if you have unfinished business.” Everyone in agreement, they all joined hands, then took hers. Lacie sight softly, as she invoked her power, surrounding them all in a nimbus of bright light. As they vanished, her lingering thought was wondering how on earth she was going to explain all this to her husband...

((end))