The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows V: Shadowed Past, Brighter Future

by J. Darksong

5.)

“Okay. I think I’ve got it now,” Jimmy said with a nod. “I know a bit about Aunt Veronica’s past, and it sounds to me like some of her former comrades in arms may have tracked her down for some overdo payback. When we were younger, she was always going on and on about the Yakuza coming after her one day, but after twenty some years, she probably thought they’d either given up or simply couldn’t find her. Apparently, it wasn’t for a lack of trying.”

“So, this is all about revenge against Mrs. Albinn?” Jess asked. “Then why did they take Katie as well?”

“Wrong place at the right time,” Jimmy replied with a shrug. “it happens to me all the time. Bad luck for Katie, but good luck for Veronica. It forces whoever has her to change her plans, and improves the odds for both of them surviving this encounter.” He sighed. “Sometimes Katie’s luck protects the people around her rather than herself. It’s rare, but it happens.”

“Well, that’s all fine and dandy,” Jess stated, getting up to pace back and forth, “but that still doesn’t help us find them! They could be anywhere in the city, if they’re even still in River City at all! For all we know, they could already be dead, dumped into a gulley on the side of the road—”

“Katie’s still alive, Jess,” Jimmy said placatingly, coming up behind her to hold her. She stiffened in his grasp, not appreciating the gesture, but needing the reassurance. “That’s not me trying to calm you down with false hope. My sister and I are connected. If she were dead or dying, trust me, I’d know.” He frowned slightly. “I’d say she is definitely in trouble... but her life’s not in danger. Not at the moment, anyway. I still have time to find and rescue her.”

“Hey! You mean ‘we’ still have time to find and rescue her!” Jess responded, pulling out of his grasp, whirling around to glare. “Don’t think you’re cutting me out of this. I’ve trained with you guys since I was eight years old. I know how to take care of myself. This is my girlfriend we’re talking about here, Jimmy.,, I’m not sitting on the sidelines.”

“Jessica—” he began, only to be cut off.

“No, Jimmy! I don’t care what you say! I’m going with you! i DON’T CARE if my life is in danger! This may all be routine for you, having the person you care about the most in the world taken from you right under your nose, but it’s a big deal to me! If anything were to happen to her and I’m not there...” She trailed off as she felt the tears forming, but she pushed them aside and forged on, her resolve set. “If you plan to keep me here, you’re gonna have to erase my damn mind with you stupid shadow thingies. Just know that if you do, I’ll hate you for the rest of my life!”

“Oh? And you’re already a little ray of blessed sunshine to me now, aren’t you?” Jimmy replied, sardonically. “For the record, I understand. I wasn’t going to make you stay behind. If you hadn’t interrupted me, I was going to warn you what you were getting into, but invite you to come along if you truly needed to be there. Anyway, first things first. We need to head down to the workshop.”

Jessica blinked. “You mean, your Dad’s workshop? Where he works on all his super secret and really important inventions? Jimmy, i can’t go in there! You Dad would kill me... and then YOU for bringing me down there!”

Heh. Typical. She doesn’t bat an eye against going up against a team of highly trained assassins and killer, but she’s scared to enter my dad’s workshop without permission. “Desperate times call for desperate measures,” he replied with a smirk. “It’ll be fine. My Dad always prepares for ever eventuality, so I’m sure he prepared for this scenario to. It’ll be fine. And anyway, if you’re coming with me into the lion’s den, then you’re getting as much protection as I can give you. Let’s go.“

* * *

Veronica felt a little like she’d been transported back in time.

Well, more than a little, actually. A lot. She was pretty sure she was still in River City, that she hadn’t been unconscious long enough to have been transported very far. Nevertheless, from her surroundings, the room, the outside garden, and the clothing she’d been given to wear, she could almost swear she was back in Japan. The dining room was an exact replica of the grand dining hall back in Kyoto. The room in which she’d been held was a perfect copy of the acolyte living quarters. In fact, the entire complex appeared to be a flawless recreation of the Clan Holding.

The fact that this was the present, and not past, was, however, hammered in by the twenty armed, black clad ninja seated on either side, and Sakura, her executioner, seated firmly at the head of the table.

If her erstwhile captor was trying to make her feel uncomfortable and knock her off her game, she’d definitely succeeded. Still, she thought as she walked silently to her place at the foot of the long table, it seems like a lot of time and effort to go through just to make a point. There has to be more to this than just that. I guess it just a question of if I’m better off knowing or not.

“Are you not hungry?” Sakura asked, glancing down the table to her dinner guest after several minutes. “I thought kenchinjira was your favorite?“

“It was Reiko’s favorite, from several years ago,” Roni clarified with a scowl. “And by the way, Veronica Mitchell was quite fond of the spring rolls you included as well. You seem to be under the same mistaken idea as the rest of my former clan—that I’m simply Misaki Reiko, overwhelmed with guilt and pain at the death of my former lover Veronica by my own hands, that I snapped, and ran away, taking her name out of some misplaced attempt at redemption.“

Sakura merely raised an eyebrow. “And you deny that fact?”

“I’m NOT Reiko!” she growled, slamming a fist down hard on the heavy oak table, startling several of the other diners. “And I didn’t simply take her name out of some misplaced feeling of guilt. I am Veronica Mitchell and Misaki Reiko, both in the same body!” She extended her right hand, and clenched, creating a thin glowing dagger of pure psychic power in her hand. “If you know anything about me at all, you know what this is. It’s a manifestation of power that Veronica could use—her psychic blade. When we fought, she struck me with it, at the same time Rei stabbed me. Our two minds... merged,” she said awkwardly, “for lack of a better explanation. Both of our minds fused together, creating... well... me. I’m neither of the women that your Clan knew—I’m the sum of all their parts.“

Sakura stared at her for a long moment, then nodded. “I see. Well... that explains a few things. I pretty much assumed it was something like that, even if Oyabun-sama insists that it was all an act, a smokescreen to cover the real reason why you killed everyone and made good your escape—revenge.” She smiled softly, taking a deep drink from her glass. “Revenge is a good reason, I suppose. I can certainly understand it. It’s the reason I’m here, after all. But, no... if you’d merely wanted to avenge your fallen lover, you would have taken Oyabun-sama’s head when you had the chance. And you certainly wouldn’t have changed your name and run away to America. The Misaki Reiko that was described to me was not the type of suffer an enemy, someone she felt had wronged her, to live. ‘Better to die in the attempt, than to live with regret’, I believe you once said.”

Roni gasped slightly, remembering the phrase. Another small piece of the puzzle just slid into place. “Yes... I did say that, once,” she conceded. “But that was a long time ago, and I was, literally, a different person then. So, what is this, anyway? An interrogation? Or are you trying to lull me into a false sense of security before you attack?” She smirked. “Or are you just so lonely for dinner conversation that you have to bring in people off the street by force to your table?”

A slight twitch in the younger girl’s cheek and a slightly raised eyebrow was the only clue that her verbal volley had scored a hit. “I call it being sociable. We’re both civilized human beings, and I see no reason why we can’t act as such. Besides which, you’re in no hurry to escape and leave your little friend behind, and I’m in no hurry to execute you, so why don’t we just enjoy this moment of peace for as long as it lasts?”

Roni stared at her adversary for a long moment before nodding. “Very well. Since you went to such lengths to be a good hostess, I might as well indulge you.” Grabbing a pair of chopsticks, she dug in, bypassing the kenchinjiri and the spring rolls, and feasting on the same kind of sashimi Sakura was eating. “Mmmm. Not bad. And, what’s that you’re drinking? Sake?”

Sakura sighed deeply. “Yes, actually. A daiginjo-shu. Would you like some?“

Roni shrugged. “If you don’t mind. And don’t bother to get up,” she added, sliding up out of her seat, “I’ll come to you.” Reaching the head of the table, she smiled, pouring herself a cup from the same bottle Sakura had drank from, and returned back to her seat. “To your health,” she toasted her foe, taking a deep drink.

* * *

“How much longer ’til we get there?” Jessica asked for the seventh time.

Jimmy sighed heavily, rolling his eyes, trying to force himself to relax and be patient. Jess’ worry was understandable, as well as her frustration. He felt more than enough of both emotions as it was. The difference between them was that Jess was free to let her worry and angst show, while he was forced to put on a calm and cool facade, and keep his own bottled up inside.

Bad things happened when he let his true emotions show.

“Goddammit, can’t this thing go any faster?“Jessica yelled, nearly shattering his veneer of calm with her whining. “I thought you and your Dad rebuilt your precious Jenny and added a whole bunch of upgrades and shit? I could get out and walk faster than this!”

“Jessica,” Jimmy said through gritted teeth, “I’m not about to engage hyper acceleration mode in town, on a crowded street! Not only would it kill both of us, and anyone we happened to crash into, at that speed, the wreckage would likely take out anything and everything in path for another half mile. Just sit back and let me drive. We’ll be there soon enough.”

“And what if ‘soon enough’ isn’t soon enough?” she countered. “What if Katie is fighting for her life at this very moment while we’re cruising along at a brisk thirty-five fucking miles an hour through downtown River City—“

“JESS!” Jimmy barked, causing her to whip her head around to scowl at him. With an effort, he peeled his fingers back from the steering wheel, noting the indentations. Shit. Gonna have to replace the steering column yet again! “Jessica,” he said in a low deep voice, “when I am upset, angry, or frustrated, my bad luck power kicks into overdrive. Ever since you told me that my baby sister had been kidnapped, I’ve been fighting to keep my anger and frustration in check. A few months ago, something really bad would have already happened, but after everything I’ve been through recently, I’ve gotten a lot better at holding it all inside me. That said... you are tap dancing on my LAST fucking nerve with spike clogs, so if you don’t want the fucking moon to fall out of the sky and crash into this car I suggest you keep your damned mouth shut.“

Jess blinked, then sighed softly, turning to stare out the window. “You don’t have to be so rude about it,” she murmured softly. After a moment, she felt Jimmy’s hand caress and squeeze her shoulder briefly, before returning to the wheel.

“I know you’re worried,” he said after a few moments. “I get that. Do you think I’m not? Just because I have a calm disposition doesn’t mean I’m not every bit as worried and freaked out as you. Despite what you may think, there is nothing routine or simple about getting abducted. Being a crime fighting Super is nothing like cartoons or comic books. The world we live in is a very dangerous place, and you don’t need super powers to be a danger to your fellow man. Worst of all, you never know when some mistake in your past is going to come back around and bite you in your ass. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not blaming Aunt Veronica for her and Katie getting captured. I’m just saying... you can’t anticipate every bad thing that might happen to you. Shit... well, just happens.”

Jessica nodded, growing silent after a while. “I’m... sorry,” she said after a moment. “You’re right. Sometimes I forget about why you’re such a cold emotionless bastard all the damn time. You’re that way because you have to be. Just because you act like a Vulcan doesn’t mean you don’t have feelings too. I’ll... try and remember that from now on.“

Jimmy smiled slightly, turning abruptly, taking the exit for the Interstate. “Thanks. Being compared to Mr. Spock... I’ll take that as a compliment.” He flipped a small switch, and a panel slid down on the dashboard, revealing a small computer screen. “Well, Jess, you wanted me to go to hyper speed mode, looks like you’re getting your wish. Better buckle up while I set the coordinates.” He paused for a moment, waiting until she was firmly secured. “I hope you don’t have a weak stomach—it’s quite an experience.”

“Well, I get a little nauseous on the Tilt-A-Whirl at the fair, but I think I’ll be okay. Why? How fast will we be going anyway?”

“Around a hundred and seventy miles an hour, give or take.” Jessica’s eyes widened.

“Are you shutting me? You can’t drive that fast, even on the Interstate! There’s no way to keep from hitting the other cars!”

Jimmy grinned wickedly. “That’s what the laser guided GPS tracking system software is for. Jenny’s upgrade let’s her drive herself, maneuvering faster than a normal human could. All we have to do is sit tight, hold on, and hope the program works the way it’s supposed to.” Seeing Jessica’s stricken look, he grinned wider. “Oh, don’t worry, Jess. I’ve run this program a few hundred times... well... er, in simulation, anyway.” Her eyes widened even more. Flipping the activation switch, he added, “And it crashed less than half the time.”

As the vehicle hit maximum speed, streaking past several other cars in a blur, several drivers heard what they thought was a high pitched female scream...

* * *

“Now then... I do have another question for you, if you’ll allow me?” At Sakura’s nod, she continued. “You gave your name earlier as Murase Sakura. And, while I’m pretty sure we haven’t met before, you do look familiar. Is Murase your family name?”

Finally, Sakura broke into an actual grin. “Ah. I was wondering if you’d think to ask that. Murase is my adopted family’s name. The surname of my birth parents was... Fu.”

Roni gasped, nearly dropping the cup in her hand. Fu Sakura. That was the last piece of the puzzle she needed, and the completed picture was even more bleak than she’d anticipated. Shit! And judging from her age, and how much she looks like a younger version of Kagero-sama, she’s likely Fu Kagero’s youngest daughter. That explains where she got the sword—Oyabun-sama probably presented it to her when she was given the mission to kill me. And what better weapon that the sword I used to kill her mother!

Sakura clapped her hands together sharply, twice, and as one, the assembled black clad diners rose from the table, and several white clad young women swarmed in from the sides, clearing the food away in seconds. “I trust you enjoyed your dinner,” Sakura said with a slight edge, betraying her outward calm. “I usually enjoy a bit of dinner theater as I dine, but with you here as my ‘honored guest’, I thought perhaps a more... lively form of entertainment would be in order.” She clapped her hands again, only once, and the doors to the east side of the dining hall opened, and two figures stepped inside: an ancient withered old crone in a jade green kimono and scarlet red hiori, and a much younger girl in a jet black shozoku complete with katana and several kunai.

Roni was stunned, not sure which of the visitors surprised her more. The older woman, whose time ravaged features were easily recognizable, even after three decades, was none other than Kagero-sama’s trainer and mentor, the legendary Madame Fu Aki herself! Ancient back she Reiko was still a teenager, it seemed impossible that the white haired Beast could still be alive three decades later. Yet still she stood, straight and proud as always, a calm look on her wizened face, appearing somehow to be as serene as a still pond yet as fearsome as a dragon! The devilish horror’s appearance, however improbable, was the only thing that explained the appearance of the second woman, the young blonde girl that glared at her with cold, dead, eyes and murderous intent... a girl whose face she likewise knew quite well, having changed her diapers at least a dozen times growing up.

The face of Katie Ann Frasier.