The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows V: Shadowed Past, Brighter Future

by J. Darksong

6.)

Katie. Oh goddess, no, Veronica Albinn thought desperately, her heart sinking. Ah, sweetie, not that. Not now. Please... not like this!

I stood before her, unblinking, impassive. I felt calm and centered, and completely emotionless. Aki-sama had explained to me what was required of me. Veronica Albinn... or Reiko Misaki, or whatever she wanted to call herself, was a traitor to the Clan. My Clan, as I’d been fully inducted now. She was a wretched, foul, loathsome, evil being that needed to be destroyed. She was a disease, and I was the cure.

As I took a step towards her, and she backed away, I smiled inwardly. She was afraid of me? Huh. Well, good, then. It was fitting that she fear me, the woman who was going to end her life. It… was funny, in a weird sort of way. I remembered my past relationship with the traitor perfectly, the way she used to smile and play with me when I was a kid, or babysit Jimmy and I, and let us stay up late watching old movies past our bedtime. I remembered it all—it just didn’t have any bearing on the here and now. Advancing even closer, I drew my katana, forcing her to back steadily back, again and again.

It was a strange bit of irony that Aunt Roni was the one who had trained me to wield a blade in the first place, that she had taught me to fight like a ninja, and that I would now use that knowledge and skill to kill her. Even more strange, I felt no sense of loss or sadness at the thought, only a quiet sense of relief... of rightness in such an action. She had hurt our Clan, disgraced Oyabun-sama, and slaughtered she who was most dear to Aki-sama, my Teacher and Mistress.

“Katie! Please! Don’t do this! I don’t want to fight you!” Aunt Roni pleaded, finding herself backed into a literal corner. “They’re controlling you! Aki-san has messed with your mind! Fight it! You can break free of her control! Please!”

“Shut up, traitor!” I snarled, flicking out suddenly with my left hand, sending a kunai arcing the short distance across the room towards her. To my surprise, I actually scored a hit! True, it was only a glancing blow to the upper thigh, a mere flesh wound… but the simple fact that I’d drawn first blood was a surprise to both of us. I mean, she may have been the most evil creature ever to walk the earth and deeply in need of eradication—but that took nothing away from her skill. She was seriously bad-ass, and I knew taking her out was going to be a hard and grueling task, and that even with my luck, her superior training and razor sharp reflexes would make it a challenge.

So, really... WTF?

Veronica glanced up in shock, staring at her hand, covered in her own blood from the gash in her thigh. She glanced at me, then over at Sakura-sama, who merely smiled. Growling, she jerked the kunai from the wall and flung it hard at Sakura, who merely stood in place as the blade thudded into the wall behind her. Missing her by several inches.

“You... bitch!” Roni cursed, shaking her head briskly. “You... poisoned me? Somehow... at dinner... you slipped it into my food!”

Sakura laughed loudly in response. “Yes, of course I did,” she stated, walking across the room, opening a large wooden chest. “It was in both the food and the sake you drank. Oh, but it wasn’t poison. Just a simple little mild sedative... not enough to knock you out, but more than enough to slow you down and put you off your game.” She chuckled, removing a familiar sheath from the chest and turning back again to face us. “Oh, and in case you’re wondering how I knew what food or drink you would choose—it didn’t matter. Everything at the banquet was dosed. My men and I have been preparing for this confrontation for more than a year. One of the things we did was ingest enough of the drug over the past several months to build up a tolerance to it. Such a pity you haven’t had the chance to do the same.” She tossed the sword to Veronica, who caught it easily.

“My... my sword!” She drew the blade to confirm, then turned to glare at her foe. “You took this sword from my home, from the dojo in my basement. That means you’ve been following me, shadowing me, observing me for week now... months...” Her expression hardened. “All this time, I thought I was just paranoid. Guess I should start trusting my gut intuition more after all from now on.”

“You know what they say about hindsight,” I quipped, gesturing with my katana. “So... are we going to fight now, or would you rather continue pointing out all the ways Sakura-sama has outwitted you?” I assumed an offensive stance and rushed towards her, intending to decapitate her with a single strike. I was fast. I was precise. I was fueled with righteous indignation and a deep seeded desire to kill this woman. But she was fueled by a desperate desire to live, and managed to bring her blade up in time to block my strike.

“Katie! Stop it!” Roni yelled, twisting slightly, managing to duck underneath my follow up and slip out of the corner. Dammit! “Listen to me Katie... this isn’t you! They’re making you do this! Please! Try and remember!”

“I remember everything, Aunt Roni!” I snarled, rounding the side, lashing out with a quick series of shallow cuts, forcing her to defend as I tried to drive her back into that corner. “I know... who you are... and who I am... it’s just that I now... see you... for the evil vile traitor that you really are!” I roared, dropping down to my knees, and spinning my blade, a perfect pirouette at knee level.

Had she not been the one who taught me that move, it probably would have connected. As it was, she managed to leap over the blade, tucking and rolling in midair, landing behind me, bringing her own blade up. My breath caught slightly as cold merciless steel sliced a strand of my hair, separating it from my head. An inch or two to the left, and Aunt Roni’s sword would have pierced my eye socket and emerged through the back of my skull.

“Dammit, Katie,” Veronica said, panting, sweat dotting her brow. “This is pointless! You’re good, very very good... but you can’t beat me! If I wanted to kill you, this fight would already be over. Please... just put down your sword... and let’s get out of here.”

“Pointless?” I challenged, rolling back out of her range, getting back to my feet. “This is hardly pointless. The object here is your death. If you won’t fight to kill, then you will BE killed. Even if I can’t make the killing blow myself, I can wear you down enough that you’ll be in no shape to face Sakura-sama after I fall. Either way, she wins, and Kagero-sama will be avenged!”

Roni blinked, a small smile creasing her lips. As I moved in to resume my attack, she lowered her blade, and dropped her stance. “Fine. I surrender. If it’s so important for you to kill me, Katie, then go ahead. I won’t fight you... and I won’t stop you if this is what you mean to do.” Swallowing, she closed her eyes, and spread her arms wide, inviting me to strike her at will.

It was... a little disconcerting. I’d expected the chance to prove my loyalty and worth to Aki-sama. I’d expected a grand and wondrous battle, steel clashing, blood flying, hers and mine, until finally she or I fell. Having her just stand there while I poked her with my sword kind of took all the fun out of it. Still, the Clan demanded her head on a platter, and regardless of the circumstances, I served the needs of the Clan. Rearing back, I swung my blade, aiming for her neck—

“STOP!” Sakura-sama ordered. My arms froze even before my mind fully registered the command. I blinked, finding my blade frozen in mid-swing, less than an inch from Veronica’s neck. Confused, I glanced up at my sempai.

“Um, Sakura-sama, why did you stop me?” I whined, not sure what I’d done wrong. I was serving the Clan! Veronica Albinn needed to die! Mistress Aki had explained it all to me in very exact detail. My purpose for being was to destroy Aunt Roni... either by physically ending her life, or emotionally, by forcing her to take my life with her own hands. Even if it meant my death, I was more than prepared to surrender my life for the good of the Clan. Nothing was more important.

“I stopped you,” Sakura said with a scowl, knocking my sword away with her own, “because you are unworthy of ending this stupid bitch’s life. That honor is reserved for me, and me alone!”

“But...” I protested, weakly, feeling like the ground had fallen away beneath my feet. Unworthy? But... it was my purpose! My reason for being! It was why I’d trained over half my life, why I’d spent my time fighting criminals and supervillains... all building up to prepare me for this moment. And... I was unworthy? I raised a hand towards Sakura-sama in supplication, only to jerk back in fear as she turned her blade against me.

“I have spoken, girl,” she snarled. “My mother’s killer belongs to me, and no one else! Try and get in my way again, and I will sever your head from your shoulders! Now... begone!”

I stepped back, moving through the line of anonymous ninja cohorts circling the fighting area, obeying the words of my sempai, even as I felt my heart break and shatter inside my chest. Imagine the worst heart ache you can think of, like the love of your life cheating on you, then dumping you in public, embarrassing you by telling everyone what a horrible lover you were, and how you never satisfied her. Now take that feeling, and multiply it by a billion.

Worthless... I’m worthless... useless... I told myself, too devastated to even cry. I had one goal, one purpose in this life... and I’d just failed it. Miserably. The only thing that kept me from shoving my sword into my own guts and ending my pathetic excuse for a life was the slender, dim and dismal hope that I might perhaps be of some aid to Big Sister Sakura during her duel.

* * *

“You’re paying for the cleaning of my upholstery,” Jimmy snarked, brushing a lingering blob of vomitus from his pants leg as they approached the compound. “I mean. really... how much food did you have in your stomach anyway? Linda Blair has nothing on you...”

“Oh shut up!” Jessica grumbled, “It’s your own damn fault for switching to warp speed without warning me!” She shook her head. “I can’t believe we made it here alive and in one piece.” When Jimmy didn’t respond, she glanced back and saw he standing there, looking pale and drawn. “What? What’s wrong?”

“Katie,” he whispered, shivering slightly, black inky tendrils forming in the air around him, waving erratically. “She’s in trouble. I’m not sure what’s going on... I don’t think she’s hurt, but... " He closed his eyes taking a deep breath. “What I’m feeling from her right now is about what I felt twice before... once in Midas City, when I thought Aurora had died in my arms... and once again in court, when I faced the husband and father of those people I thought I’d killed during the firefight with Nytro. Whatever is happening to her right now, she’s about one step away from suicidal.”

“Fuck,” Jess sighed softly, sliding off her jacket, placing the domino mask over her face, pulling a pair of hand held stun blasters from the utility belt she wore. “What are we waiting for? Let’s get in there.”

“Okay,” Jimmy said, shaking off the emotional trauma. “Here’s the plan. I charge in through the front gate. You bring up the rear. I’ll try and draw their fire and keep their attention centered on me. You just worry about slipping in and finding Veronica and Katie. And remember,” he warned her as she flipped the switch on her belt, glowing momentarily before vanishing from sight, “that stealth module is a prototype. It will only keep you invisible for about ten minutes at the most. Once it burns out, you’re on your own, so if you’re not out of there before it wears off, you’re toast. Got that?”

“Just worry about yourself,” Jess’ disembodied voice called out from the side. “And make sure you come running when I call!”

Jimmy smirked. If nothing else, he had to give the girl credit. She had guts. Closing his eyes, focusing his power, he cloaked himself with shadows, centered himself, and took a deep breath. Okay, he said to himself. Let’s do this.

* * *

“Aaaaiiieee!” Veronica screeched, dancing away, a spray of blood from the new cut along her cheek getting into her eye. Backing away, she blinked rapidly, trying to clear her vision. Physically, she was a wreck, sporting cuts and gashes from close to a dozen slices and near misses. She felt slow and sluggish, both from the cumulative blood loss and the drug still coursing through her system. Although, a few more cuts like that last one, and I won’t have to worry about the sedative in my blood. I won’t have any more blood in my body to carry it! Shit... I need to turn the tide and quickly, or I’m really going down this time

As Sakura approached for another attack, Veronica held out her hand, signaling a halt. Planting her sword hard into the wooden floor, she turned, making a show of grabbing her long black hair from the back with both hands, working it into a quick ponytail. “Sorry, sorry, she said with a smirk. “My hair was just driving me crazy. I usually have it tied when I spar with someone. If I’d known I was being kidnapped, I would have brought a Scrunchii.“

Sakura blinked. “Spar? You think this is a sparring match? I have marked you all over with my sword, and I’m completely untouched.” She chuckled drily. “I’d come here hoping to face the monster that I’d grown up hearing about, testing my skill against hers. It seems that I have been mislead.”

“And yet,” Veronica said smoothly, “here I stand, bloody, yes, but still standing. You claim to have wanted to test your skill against mine, to have a true challenge, the old versus the new... and yet you start the fight by drugging me, then trying to tire me out with someone else before our fight even begins.” She made a show of picking up her sword, brandishing it. “I’m certainly not at my best right now... and you can’t seem to do more than graze me. I guess it’s just as well—if I were at the top of my game, I’d have slit your throat twice by now.“

A look of pure rage flashed across the younger woman’s face. “You... you dare?” she seethed, gripping her blade tightly by the hilt. “Wretched worm, I’ll show you my true skill!” With that she launched into a blistering barrage of attacks.

Interesting. Arrogance is the chink in her armor, Roni thought, whipping her blade back and forth, blocking and deflecting each strike. Better yet, she has a temper. This... uhhhnn... barrage of hers... is hard... on my already aching body... but she’s showing me more of her technique and form now... than she did during our... earlier... sortie... Drawing back, flipping briskly out of range to catch her breath, she hid a smile. I think I can use both of those things to my advantage.... I just need an opening.

A sudden loud crash sounded from somewhere outside, and the entire building shook. “Wh... what? What the hell was that?” Sakura asked, glancing around fearfully, then winced, as a line of pain exploded across her back. Whirling around, she snarled at her opponent. “Evil bitch! How dare you?”

“Attack you while you were distracted, you mean?” Roni replied, taunting her, making a show of wiping the blood from the blade of her sword. “Yes, that was rotten of me. I’m a snake, a real serpent. But, then again, it’s not as if I poisoned your or anything. Now, that would be really low. Oh... and by the way, you’re no longer untouched.“

* * *

Jessica hurried through the unknown hallways, finding an uneasy balance between cautious striding and flat out running. Despite the invisibility cloak module she wore masking her presence, she was still hard pressed to believe that the numerous guards and fighters she’d passed by hadn’t seen her. Admittedly, she’d had a few close calls in the beginning, particularly bumping into a guard soon after entering the compound, but with the distraction Jimmy was causing outside, the man had continued on, no doubt attributing the impact to the human juggernaut demolishing everything around him several yards away.

As much as I hate to admit it, the guy does come in handy sometimes, she mused, turning around another sharp bend. Despite the outside appearance of an abandoned warehouse, the inside housed an intricate and detailed facility built like a maze. She frankly had no idea where she was going, running headlong, mindful of her ten minute time limit. If things went bad... if she was caught... she had a very realistic notion of her chances. From what she’d seen already, the people they were dealing with were serious. Trained killers. Even with the protective hardsuit and the stun blasters she carried, her chances of making it out of here alive without help were close to zero.

And yet... knowing that her Katie was facing the same odds... there was no way she could have just stayed behind and waited. No way in hell. Turning another corner, she paused, skidding to a stop. To the left she heard the sounds of fighting, feminine shouts and grunts, and the telltale clang of steel against steel. She paused, considered continuing on to the right, then paused again.

If Katie and Mrs. Albinn are here, she reasoned, it’s a good bet they’re fighting to make their way out of here. This deep inside, anyone going at it like that has to be one or both of them. Moving cautiously, she made her way towards the combat...

* * *

“Uuughhnnn!” Sakura grunted, drawing back, lowering her katana just a bit. Sweat dripped from her body, pooling around her feet as if she’d been caught in a rainstorm. Blood dripped freely from half a dozen cuts different cuts. She was tired. She was hurt. But most of all she was angry. Despite her skill and obvious advantage, she’d been unable to land another blow on the older woman. She’d used nearly every trick and technique in her repertoire, and yet somehow the bitch had managed to dodge, block or deflect every one! All the while, she continued to taunt her, giving her ‘helpful hints’, reminding her to grip the handle of her blade tighter, to be sure and follow through with every strike, to adjust her stance, to mind her footwork... things all said with a smile, in a helpful tone that totally infuriated her.

Fuck! I want nothing more than to wipe that arrogant little smirk off the bitch’s face... but I can’t even touch her anymore! Why? How is she doing this? Five minutes ago, I had her on the fucking ropes! So... what happened? How did she recover? Where is she getting this energy from?

“You’re not getting tired now, are you dear?” Roni said, arching an eyebrow. “The way you’re holding your sword now, it certainly seems like it. If you need to take a short break, I’m more than happy to call for a short ‘time-out’ to give you a breather—”

“SHUT THE FUCK UP!” Sakura screamed, grabbing a pair of kunai, throwing them at Veronica with all her strength—and almost no skill—which the older ninja easily deflected. “I’ll wipe that smirk off your face if it’s the last thing I do!” she growled, charging forward.

“Wait! Sakura-sama, stop!!” I yelled out, causing her to pause. “She’s baiting you! Please calm down.” She turned to glare at me, and I swallowed deeply under the heat of her scrutiny. “I know what she’s doing. She’s trying to make you angry on purpose... to throw off your rhythm, your timing. Right now, you are so pissed off you’re not thinking straight! Back off for a moment, take a deep breath, and regain your focus.”

Sakura frowned, considering my words. I held my own breath, wondering if I’d overstepped my bounds by correcting my sempai. I knew I was right... but it wasn’t my place to try and dictate her movements. She was far more experienced than I was. For all I knew, it was still part of some unknown plan to lull Aunt Roni into a false sense of security. But my gut told me that Sakura-sama needed to regroup, that the charge she’d started to engage in might have very well been her last.

“The girl is correct, Saki-chan,” Mistress Aki chided her, and I let out the breath I was holding in relief. “Your opponent has you pegged. She guessed correctly that the key to beating you lay in your sense of pride of your skill. Well, daughter’s daughter, skill is nothing if you are too blinded by anger and hate to use it! Back off, find your center, and put an end to this nonsense!”

Hai, Aki-sama,” Sakura said, blushing furiously. The rebuke obviously stung, even moreso having come from me first. Sakura-sama had obviously trained more years that I’d been alive, and yet I’d figured out Veronica’s tactic before she had. The look she gave me left no doubt that she didn’t appreciate my help, and that she would remember it.

Still, it was for the good of the Clan, I reminded myself. Even if Sempai hates me for it, I served my purpose if my advice helped her take out her adversary.

Veronica, despite her outward calm, was cursing furiously inside. Goddammit! I had her! I HAD her! One more charge and I would have had the bitch impaled on the end of my blade! Katie... I know it’s not your fault... I know only too well what those damn needles can do to you... but when this is all over I am gonna have you running practice drills ’til you bleed for this!

Sakura closed her eyes for a moment, breathing deeply, centering her chi. She was on edge; that much was evident in how hard it was to center herself. Her intricate carefully woven scenario where she tortured and humiliated her enemy before finally dispatching her, had gone out the window. She was the one who had been humiliated, in front of her fellow ninja, and more importantly, her honored grandmother. She opened her eyes, serenity achieved once more. Play time was over and done. This was longer a game. It was time to get serious, and end this once and for all.

Seeing the resolve in Sakura-sama’s face, I settled back in place next to Mistress Aki-sama. Despite everything that had gone wrong for her, Sakura was once again in control. I wasn’t quite sure how Aunt Roni had survived this long, but I was confident now that it would be over soon. Even with whatever was going out outside, she wouldn’t let anything distract her now. It was all over but the shouting. Nothing could save Veronica now.

And then, like magic, my girlfriend appeared out of thin air in the middle of the room.

“SHIT!” Jessica cursed, freezing, whipping up both hand blasters, holding them in front of her like a shield as the twenty ninja silently watching the duel rushed forward, surrounding her. “Fuck! Couldn’t have lasted just thirty more seconds...shit!” She glanced around the room, eyes locking on mine. “Um... hey, sweetie,” she said with a small smile. “Did you miss me?”