The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows 9: Incandescent Supernova Ascension

by J. Darksong & Baltimore Rogers

* * *

Ch.2) Living A Lie

Hindsight is always twenty-twenty, Anastasia Albinn thought to herself ruefully. If only foresight were that reliable.

It was her dear friend Lacie’s mantra, a phrase she used quite often, but right now it seemed to fit her own situation to a ‘T’. She was a Super, a psychic, and a rather formidable one, though hardly the most powerful of her kind. She possessed all the psychic gifts to some extent, though her true strength is her telekinesis, the ability to move things with her mind. Her telepathy was actually rather weak in comparison, unfortunately; her twin sister Evangeline had inherited the lion’s share of THAT particular ability. But the ability that truly sets her apart from other psychics is her ability to see the future.

Of course, knowing what will happen before it happens wasn’t all it’s cracked up to be. And while viewing the future was tricky and often random at best, lately it seemed to be particularly selfish displaying itself. Still, with the ability to see what will happen next, the obvious question that comes up is: can the future be changed? That’s where things got complicated. She knew from experience that, yes, the future could be changed, with enough of a warning, and a lot of effort. Not always, though. Sometimes, the future simply refused to budge, like a stubborn mule that has planted his feet, refusing to move a single step further no matter how much you beg or threaten. And that’s the part that was so disheartening sometimes... to know something bad was about to occur and be helpless to prevent it.

Still, it wasn’t ALL bad. Sometimes the future you saw was a good one, a happy one, but that it would only occur with your direct intervention. Sometimes, it took all hard work and determination and luck to make something go right... but when it did, then you knew it was all worth it. That’s when you realized that all the bad visions you’d failed to prevent, and all the unhappy portents you’d witnessed were worth enduring. Because everything was connected, like a giant tapestry, and sometimes small disappointments lead to better futures down the road.

Something else her friend Lacie had told her on more than one occasion.

Those were her thoughts as she stood idly by, watching her sister working with that young, cute, short Asian girl, putting her mind through a virtual psychic grinder, hitting the poor dear with pretty much everything but the kitchen sink. To her credit, the spunky little slip of a girl took it all in stride, and even when her shields inevitably failed, and Eva’s commands penetrated, forcing her to recite “I’m a little teacup” in a high pitched baby girl voice, she merely shrugged it off as good natured fun.

“Okay,” she said finally, panting, as Anastasia finally called a break, “that last round... was pretty... intense. But I really feel... like I’m making... progress.”

“Progress?” Eva said panting as well, though not nearly as winded as Constance, “My dear, your progress is nothing short of astounding! You’re a bloody natural! In fact, I’m actually kind of jealous. I never picked up on it this well when I was being trained.”

“She’s right, Connie,” Ana added with a grin, handing them both towels. “My sister was a notoriously bad student. She had a lot of trouble grasping the basics of control. She’s only as good as she is now because our grandmother practically beat the basics into her—well, BOTH of us, really—to the point that my sister could shield and defend in her sleep.” She shrugged. “It’s an old saying because it’s true—practice really does make perfect. Anyway, you two have ‘played’ long enough. Now it’s time to get down to some actual ‘work’ with me.”

Eva merely rolled her eyes. “Fine, sis. Just take it easy on her, okay? Constance is the first pupil I’ve ever trained and I kind of like her.” She winked at her twin as she walked to the exit. “And I’d really prefer to continue training her without having to visit her in the hospital.”

“Wait. Hospital?” Connie asked, glancing at the other sister, the smile leaving her lips, “She’s kidding right? Tell me she is just kidding about that part? I was shot not too long ago, and I’m not looking forward to going back to the ER again anytime soon.”

Ana laughed. “She was exaggerating, sweetie. Relax. I’m skilled enough with my power to split a single hair on your head without ruffling the rest of them. I won’t hurt you. But you WILL leave our sessions feeling like you’d climbed the Washington Monument with about three hundred pounds strapped to your back.”

“Great,” Connie replied with a groan. “Remind me why I agreed to this again?”

“Because you have a talent, sweetie,” she reminded her gently, locking on to a large length of rope in the corner, lifting it mentally, bringing it over to us. “A talent that can be used to do a lot of good... or cause a lot of harm if you lose control of it someday. I know how you feel about being ‘known’... about dealing with other psychics. And you’re right. A lot of us aren’t exactly shining beacons of hope and justice. Psychics are, by nature, selfish, self-centered, and self-absorbed. I mean, if you have the ability to make anyone do whatever you want, it’s pretty hard to resist the urge to make EVERYONE do what you want.” She gestured to the rope. “Grab the other end, dear. Our first exercise is a simple tug-o-war.“

Connie nodded, gesturing at the robe, causing the other end to lift as she grabbed hold with her mind. “I can understand that,” she said with a sigh. “My Mas, err, Boss, has a somewhat grim view of the world and people in general, but in this, I think he’s right. The strong bully the weak. It’s a fact of life. And power corrupts. The more power you have, the more likely you are to abuse it.” She grunted as Ana ‘pulled’ on her end, nearly jerking the rope out of her telekinetic grasp before she could recover. “But... well... not everyone is like that, I suppose. I mean, obviously there are good psychics out there as well. There’s Psyche. And Shinobi. And of course, you and your sister, Eva.”

Ana smirked, lessening her grip little by little, letting her gain a bit of ground, before yanking again, hard. Unprepared for the sudden shift, Constance cried out, losing her concentration, her grip on the rope and her balance, falling down on her butt. “Well, that’s true enough. We are decidedly on the side of ‘goodness and light’,” Ana remarked, nonplussed, making air quotes, “but that doesn’t make us saints either! Eva and I went to the same high school as Psyche. And while none of us abused our powers, per se, I can’t say we didn’t use them now and again.” She shrugged. “It’s a matter or restraint... in denying your own selfish nature and realizing the easy way isn’t always the best way. Look at it this way. Suppose you had the power to get anything you wanted with just a simple word, and ‘poof’ it would come true. If you could have instant gratification any time you wanted, what would be the point of anything? Why try or work hard if everything you want is given to you in a silver platter?“

“Because then it stops being special or meaningful,” Connie replied, standing back up, rubbing her bottom. “Like having your favorite desert every day, it stops being special and just becomes routine. I think I see your point. Oh, and ouch, by the way. That was kind of dirty.”

The blonde psychic laughed sweetly. “Sorry love. You seemed a bit distracted by the conversation, and I took advantage. The trickiest thing to learn with telekinesis is to be able to multitask,” she said, gesturing to several tennis balls, causing them to float into the air, circling nimbly around young Constance. “You have to be able to split your concentration into different views, like looking at several computer monitors at the same time.” With a thought, she sent one of the balls towards Connie, nodding with approval as she deflected it.” The trick is to let your mind relax a bit, and kind of go blank, and react to whatever needs your attention in turn,” she continued, sending two more balls at her, smiling as she again deflected them both.

“It sounds like you want me to go into a trance or something,” Connie replied back, panting slightly with the effort of expending so much of her power. Her telepathy was meager enough that she could wield it fairly effortlessly and deftly, as she had most of her life. The telekinesis, however, while stronger, was like an unused or atrophied muscle, and trying to build it back up was more tiring that she would have imagined.

Still, I am happy with my progress, she thought with a smile. It’s not as if I ever thought of myself as useless.... not really. But finding out that I have a lot more power than I ever thought, and being able to actually see myself making progress... it’s sooo cool! Yiiipe! she thought in near panic as four tennis balls came flying at her from four different angles in her split second of distraction. She deflected three of them and managed to duck out of the path of the fourth one. I have to say, though, that I suddenly have a LOT more sympathy for poor Tawnya when she was training under Sioban all those months ago. Patricia was a slavedriver? Sioban was a monster? Huh! They could both take lessons from these twin terrors!

“I heard that, dearling,” Ana said in a sing-song voice, lifting the remaining twelve tennis balls and sending them all after the cute little Asian minx. “Perhaps someone needs more practice shielding their thoughts.” Connie yelped again, going into the fetal position, wrapping herself in a shield as she was pelted relentlessly for several minutes with tennis balls until Eva stepped in to deflect them away.

“Okay, Sis, enough. You made your point,” she said with a laugh. “It’s time to call it a day anyway.” Reaching down, she helped Constance back to her feet. “Okay, Connie, practice is over. Go and take a long soak in the hot tub and go meet up with your boss.”

“Hey, you don’t have to tell me twice,” the lovely dark haired vixen replied gratefully, turning on her heel, and fleeing the practice room. Ana merely chuckled softly, shaking her head ruefully.

“Oh, to be that age again,” she muttered softly with a sigh. Her twin sister chuckled as well.

“Youth is wasted on the young, eh, Sis?” she teased. Ana merely shrugged.

“It’s not about age, Eva. I’m just feeling... I dunno. Tired? Lonely? Anxious?” She shook her head. “In truth, I was overjoyed when you called and asked me to come with you to train young Constance. I have been feeling a bit... lonely, I suppose. Empty nest syndrome... Parker is grown and has a family of his own. I’m a freaking grandmother now, Eva... when did THAT happen?”

“About seven years ago now, Ana,” Eva replied with a sigh. “But yes, I know what you mean. We’re all starting to get to the age where we look back more and more at what we’ve done with our lives, what we have to show for it, and what our legacy will be when it’s all over.” She shook her head. “At least you HAVE a kid. And even though we never really got along, at least Parker’s dad was good to you. He was a good guy... in the end, anyway.” She turned to look at me. “Do you still miss him, even after all these years?”

Ana nodded sadly. “Every damn day. It’s kind of cliché I know... but sometimes there are such things as fated loves, you know? Marcus may not have been with me for long, but what we shared together... it was deep and meaningful, and lasting. With him... I felt fulfilled.”

Eva nodded softly, glancing at the door. “Yeah, I know what you mean.”

Her sister rubbed her shoulder in sympathy. She wasn’t entirely sure how she felt about her sister pairing with the ailing Scotsman, or how she, Lacie and Eugene could possibly make it work. Still, she is happier than I’d known her to be in years... and more settled, more comfortable in her own skin that I’d EVER known her to be. Maybe it will turn out to be a good thing. I just hope Eugene doesn’t hurt her... I’d hate to have to put a serious hurting on a guy in a wheelchair.

“C’mon, sis,” she said lightly, pulling herself from her introspective thoughts. “Let’s go and join the others. I wanna grab a quick soak before Connie uses up all the hot water!”

* * *

“And now, onto new business. I’d like to turn the floor over to our visitor, a young lady who surely needs no introduction—Luminaire, the Light of Justice!”

The rest of the council members clapped politely as I made my way to the podium. I was slightly nervous, despite the fact that I knew how the day would end. I hate public speaking with a vengeance, and even though this was a crowd of only twelve, it was STILL a crowd of the city’s most powerful and influential members. Well, those NOT involved in criminal activities or flying around in spandex tights, I mean. The point was... I had butterflies fluttering around in my stomach despite my calm composed facade. Clearing my throat again, straightening my skirt, I began my proposal.

“Thank you Mayor Eastman. Ladies and gentlemen, I appreciate you allowing me a moment of your time to speak to you today. I have something of a radical proposal to make, something that I am sure will be met with derision and scorn as well as disbelief at first, but that as I continue to speak, will slowly start to sound more and more reasonable. First of all, let me introduce myself. My code name is Luminaire. I’m a member of the badged Supers program here in River City. I’m a young woman, just shy of my twenty-first birthday, and have lived here in River City all my life. I’ve been doing the job of a costumed heroine since I was eight years old. I’ve fought every day run of the mill criminals such as purse snatchers and muggers, to super powered criminals, like the Piper and the Munn twins. I’m young, the youngest person in this meeting, but again, I have a lot of experience.” I sighed deeply, taking a breath. “In all that time, the crime level in this city hasn’t changed. It goes down for a while, then comes back up as criminals get more bold, more brazen. My uncle uses the term, ‘never-ending battle’. Well, what I want to propose would effectively end the battle once and for all in our favor.”

A hand went up in the back. I winced slightly. “Yes, Chief Brennan?” I said, as the council members turned to face him. “You have a question?”

“Pretty much the same question that we all have after hearing such an intruigin’ introduction,” he quipped, crossing his arms. “If you have some kind of special super weapon that can win the war on crime in one fell swoop, I’m all ears, though I have to say, for matters of job security alone, that it had better be a damn good one!”

“What I’m proposing is the immediate mandatory mental alteration and rehabilitation for criminal offences. ALL criminal offences, from jaywalking and speeding, to theft, homicide and murder,” I stated frankly, then stood by letting the shouts or moral outrage wash over me. “Yes, yes, you heard me right,” I said a moment later. “Mind control used on all criminals. If a person is unable to uphold and obey the law by his or her self, then we MAKE them obey it. I know you might think this is a bit extreme, but—”

“A bit extreme?” a young blonde haired woman in a sharp navy blue suit yelled, rising to her feet. I recognized her as the new District Attorney, Tracy Long, who had replaced the recently fired/arrested DA Harrison several months back. “You’re talking about suspending people’s personal liberties... violating people’s human rights!”

“Now, now, wait a minute, Miss Prosecutor,” Deputy City Planning committee member Ginger Lee replied, standing up as well. “It seems to me that we’re talking about criminals here, not the public at large. People who have broken the law have, by definition, surrendered their rights in violating the rights of those around them! I agree with Luminaire. Coddling the criminals, treating them like first class citizens, locking them up in facilities with satellite TV and well stocked libraries and such... from which most of them don’t even spend their fully allotted time anyway! Add in criminals with the powers to smash through solid stone with their bare hands and shoot fire or lightning form their hands, and it’s no wonder the city is ripe with crime!“

The twelve angry members began a fierce debate, which, unsurprisingly, was cut nearly even across the board. Things continued on for several minutes before a glance to Mayor Eastman caused her to bang her gavel loudly. “Ladies and gentlemen, this is obviously a very volatile topic being presented here today. I would remind the council members, however, that our visitor has not yet finished her presentation. Let us withhold our discussion until we have been presented with all the facts.” Reluctantly, they all settled back down again, and I flashed her a grateful smile.

“Thank you, Mayor. As I was saying... I know this sounds a bit extreme. But think about it. How many Supers, how many super villains, how many mad scientists and inventors—use mind control? It’s like the favorite tool for a villain these days—why bother to do the dirty work when you can take over someone else’s mind and have them do it for you? Why spend your time duking it out with some nigh invincible super hero when you can zap her and turn her into your loyal obedient servant?” I sighed, shaking my head.

“I’ve fought my share of hypnotic villains. I’ve had my own brain twisted a time or two. In fact, if not for luck, and some help from a lot of my friends, I might be one of the same criminal deviants we’re talking about!” A bit cheeky that, all things considered. I don’t consider myself a bad guy, though I had no qualms about straddling the line between right and wrong it if advanced my cause. As for ‘deviant’... I guess it depended on whether a gal as kinky and sexually promiscuous as myself these days was considered deviant.

Shuffling through my notes, I continued on. “My point is, simply, that the bad guys are already using it for their purposes. I’m merely proposing we fight fire with fire, use it to OUR advantage. A number of us Supers have hypnotic abilities. I know of at least one badged Super, a psychic, that routinely works with the police office on some of their tougher cases,” I said, giving Chief Brennan a pointed look. “The resources are there in your hands, willing and able to do so, just waiting for the word... but because it’s not considered ‘politically correct’ to take control of a criminal’s will to force them to adhere to the laws, we go through the rigmarole of prosecuting them, locking them away—if you’re lucky enough to get a conviction, and they don’t escape justice through some kind of legal loophole, or technicality—and then have them simply break out and escape, and start the whole dance over again!”

Which again, caused an uproar or protests. “Oh come on now... you can’t be serious!” the D.A. protested again. “You’re actually sayin’ we stoop to THEIR level? You’re talking about completely ignoring civil liberties and citizen’s rights just because it’s more CONVENIENT? And are you trying to insinuate that the reason crime is so rampant throughout the city is because of MY office failing to put the bad guys away? Before you start pointing the finger of blame at the prosecutor’s office, maybe you should consider some of these questionable techniques your KIND uses in bringing in these criminals in the first place that CAUSE all those loopholes!“

“Hey! Hold on a second, there, Miz D.A, " Chief Brennan grunted, surprisingly coming to my defense. “I don’t know if you realize the kind of people we’re talking about here! Slapping the cuffs on your regular run of the mill crook might work, but when yer talkin’ Stonewall Freaking Jackson, a guy seven feet tall with arms the size of tree trunks. and skin harder than granite, the rule book kinda goes out the window! Now, I’m not saying I completely agree with Ms. Luminaire’s stand that we should go around brainwashing every Tom, Dick and Harry that breaks the law... but you also can’t make excuses for being a bit unconventional in taking down some rather unconventional criminals!”

“Okay, granted,” Mildred Foster, county clerk, admitted with a frown, “you have a point. But we’re talking about taking over people’s minds here! Subverting their wills! You don’t think the average citizen is going to have a problem with that?” She shuddered slightly. “The idea of someone invading my mind and taking over... changing my behavior... implanting a bunch of commands directly into my brain?” She shook her head furiously. “Uh uh. Now way! Not without a fight!”

“Then don’t go out and break the law,” Miguel Sanchez, School Superintendent countered with a frown. “They’re not talking about everyone, just the criminals! Geez! What’s the problem? We have the Death Penalty in this state... the idea that a criminal can perform an act so heinous, so evil, that we can legally kill them for it... but we’re balking at going in an taking away their ability to hurt other people, yet leaving them alive and able to function in society?“

A very good point. It was on my list, actually, but I was glad someone else had brought it up. “A very good point, Mr. Superintendent,” I said loudly, getting their attention again. “And think of the overcrowded prisons as well... no need to lock up hardened or repeat criminals when a little ‘mental magic’ can turn them back into law abiding citizens again. And anyway, we’re not talking about turning them into mindless zombies here. We’re talking about turning them into model citizens, giving them a healthy respect for the law and an inability to break it.”

“Okay, okay, you’ve made a lot of good points,” Mayor Eastman spoke up. “Let’s say we actually agreed to your proposal, and agreed to go along with it. Who would we choose to carrying out this... um... ‘reeducation’?”

“Well, I have a few people in mind that could handle that,” I said slowly, building momentum, “but ultimately... I would be in charge of the operation—”

“Yeah right,” Yolanda Meyers, city Treasurer snarked, rolling her eyes. “You make it sound like it’s that easy. And I’m SURE that whomever we choose to carry out the task of ‘reeducating’ these criminals wouldn’t, I don’t know, take advantage of these individuals while their minds are open and vulnerable? You wouldn’t have any... ulterior motives in this, would you, Miss Luminaire?“

Which caused the damn to burst. Furious arguing broke out in the room now, no longer debating whether or not it was morally right or even legal, but whether anyone could be trusted to perform such a service without succumbing to temptation. It shifted the focus of the discussion back to where I personally needed it to go, but now I needed to reestablish control again before things got out of hand. Creating a small orb of light, I sent it in the air above the twelve council members and made it pulse like a flare as I let out a loud ear screeching whistle, until I had their attention once more.

“Okay, look,” I said, banishing the flare. “I’ll be the first to admit that I have more than a few personal reasons for wanting to do this. I... lost someone recently. Someone very close to me, someone very special.” I winced slightly, closing my eyes, the pain of Jessica’s loss still potent, still fresh, after so many weeks. “A very bad man attacked me, tried to kill me... and killed her instead.” I opened my eyes, letting the moment pass. I just needed to focus, and power through to the end. “I lost the love of my life in an instant. I wanted... so badly, to kill her murderer, to end his life with my bare hands... but I held back. Instead, I let him be arrested. I let the system take care of his punishment. I trusted the system to mete out justice for what he did and tired to do. And do you know what happened? That same man escaped, broke free and came after me again. He hurt and nearly killed more of the people I care about. He tried to kill me again, and nearly succeeded! I managed to stop him, again, just barely, and protect my loved ones. Again, I was sorely tempted to end him, to do what I should have done the first time... but a man I very much respect told me that doing so would make me no better than the scum I wanted to kill. So... I let him live.”

I sighed heavily. “Now... I’m not trying to point fingers or blame anyone. It’s not the fault of the police or the DA that this criminal was able to cause such chaos and pain and torment on so many innocents. I don’t even consider it a failing of the system... not in and of itself. If anything... I consider it MY fault that this happened.” A shocked gasp from several people at that, but I nodded. “It’s my fault for not doing something when I had the chance. I have power,” I said solemnly, glowing gently, lifting a few inches off the ground, my cape and hair fluttering slightly. “Maybe not as much as some. I’m not my mother. I’m not Omega Girl. And even she can’t do everything herself. But... I can do better. I can make our city a safe place where people can go about their daily lives without worrying that some madman with a loaded gun and a chip on his shoulder is going to suddenly burst in and start killing people for no reason other than being angry with the world. I can make sure no kids are sitting at home late at night, waiting for a mom and dad to return home that are never going to arrive.” I sighed, thinking back about Tawnya, and the tragedy of her family. “And, I can make sure that no more families are destroyed by a Super on a rampage, taken out as collateral damage between battling titans. I can do this. All I need is for you to let me.“

* * *

“Next.”

Roberta Bayport stood up, brushing down and straightening her skirt as she stepped forward, her portfolio clutched underneath her arm. A tall dark haired woman in a security guard uniform gave her the nod as she approached, buzzing her through into the office proper. She clenched her hands tightly to keep from nervously playing with her long blonde hair again; she’d caught herself doing it twice on the elevator ride up to the office, and despite being a statuesque buxom blonde, the last thing she wished to portray to her prospective employer was the stereotypical airheaded blonde bimbo.

Besides, I spent enough time in that role as it is, she thought grimly as she was ushered back through to a large expansive office overlooking the plant’s production floor. When all of River City had been struck by the bimbo virus incident, she’d been quite surprised to find herself affected as well, naturally assuming her cybernetic body would be unaffected. And yet, her inner workings, most notably, her brain, while fully cybernetic and digitally encoded, were still organic in nature. She too had descended slowly but surely into sexual madness, her impressive IQ dropping to double digits, replaced with an overwhelming need and desire to fuck. Recovering with the rest of the city thanks largely to the efforts of GrimTech Industries and their Senior head of R&D, she’d had the chance to meet Miss Prentiss and her prestigious boss, Nigel Grimalde recently at a dinner hosted by her former employer. When the lovely redhead had heard her playful lament about having to find employment, she’d advised her to stop by GrimTech, Science Division, and to apply for a job. Which brought her here today, dressed in her best, and really, only business suit.

“Ah, welcome Miss Bayport,” the tall dark haired man replied, extending a hand towards her, which she shook gently. “Please excuse all the security people roaming around. We’ve had a number of attempted thefts in the past few weeks, and security for our division has been heightened. My name is Dr. Banerjee. I’m currently in charge of this facility while our head of research is out of town. Please, have a seat.”

“Ah... um, thank you,” Roberta said nervously, sitting where directed. So, Angela’s out of town? That’s right... she mentioned something about them taking a trip abroad over the next couple of weeks.

She frowned slightly at that. Something that had occurred at the dinner party, some discussion they’d held together about.. ancient Norse History or something? It was strange that she couldn’t seem to remember the details—her memories were digitally encoded, and perfectly clear up until that meeting, yet try as she might, she just couldn’t remember. And her internal systems insisted that there was no system error or corruption of her memory. Stranger still, she hadn’t really thought about it much until now, until the reminder that Mr. Frasier’s family and friends, and Mr. Grimalde’s family and friends, had all suddenly decided to leave on vacation to together at the same time immediately after that dinner.

Pushing her concerns aside for the moment, she nodded, flashing the man a smile. “Thank you for agreeing to see me. Ange... um, Doctor Prentiss suggested I send you my resume when I spoke to her a few days ago. She thought I might be of some use to your department now that I am currently, um... available?“

“Yes, yes,” Ajay replied with a nod, giving a quick glance to the paper in front of him. “Angela said to be on the lookout for your name if it came across my desk. So tell me, Miss Bayport, where did you work previously?”

“Well, until just recently, I worked for Frasier Industries.”

“Ahhh... yes. So sad about the government tearing apart your former company that way,” he said with real sympathy. “It’s truly shameful, if you ask me, especially after everything that came to light afterwards.” He sighed deeply, peering down at the resume again. “Um, Miss Bayport... your resume is a little vague. What department did you work at while employed at FI?”

“Oh, well, I was the administrative assistant for Mr. Merle Jackson, head of the biotechnical branch of FI, and formerly under Eugene Frasier himself,” she said, blushing slightly at his blank look. “I, um... also handled most of the data input and report writing for the department. My typing skills are, well, rather exemplary, if I do say so myself...”

“Um... hold on a moment. You’re a secretary?“

Roberta colored slightly, her human-form skin suit reaction to her emotions as perfectly as real skin would. “Yes, though we prefer the term ‘administrative assistant’ these days. ‘Secretary’ sounds so old fashioned, you know.” She blinked. “Wasn’t that clear from my resume?”

“Um, well, ah, yes, actually,” Ajay replied, blushing as well. “Looking over it now, in that context, the notes make sense... but from the way Dr. Prentiss has presented you, I believed you were a fellow scientist inquiring a research position!” He sighed softly, pondering. “We, ah... really have no openings for an... administrative assistant for this department at the moment. Most of our reports and paperwork is handled by our interns and junior researchers.” He shrugged helplessly. “Most of the people we have doing that kind of work here have multiple Masters Degrees in various fields of study...”

“Oh...” Roberta replied crestfallen. It hadn’t really occurred to her to wonder exactly what kind of position she would have in an operation as dry cut and streamlined as what she had been observing for the past half hour. Frasier Industries had had a more relaxed, laidback kind of atmosphere, true, but it was definitely an office type environment. From what she gathered, Prentiss’ department was more of a centralized ‘think tank’ type of operation, with scientists and researchers working on their own individual projects on their own time, unless asked to collaborate on a larger joint project. It seemed a bit like ‘organized chaos’ to her, but it apparently worked, and business was thriving. Still, it appeared that she’d gotten her hopes up only to have them dashed.

“Perhaps... another department is hiring?” she asked hesitantly, unsure of what to say. She’d basically been told she was highly unqualified to work here, and to ask for something else seemed like begging... but what else could she do? True, the severance package from FI was more than generous, and she wasn’t in trouble just yet.... but the job market was sluggish at best, and with so many of her fellow co-workers out of a job as well, most of them better qualified and with more impressive credentials that her high school diploma and four years of graphic arts studies at River City U, she knew realistically that her chances of getting a good well paying job were slim at best.

It’s not even fair, she thought grimly as Dr, Banerjee glanced away, avoiding her gaze. With the enhancements the Mad Professor gave me during my ‘robotization’, I’m just as smart as most of these guys as well. Maybe I don’t have their knowledge or experience already inside my head, but I’m a quick study, and learn things on the fly. Plus, I have a very intimate grasp and knowledge of electronics and robotics to the point that even Eugene Frasier himself has had me help him with a few projects! But I can’t exactly put ‘cyborg robot girl and electronics expert due to mad scientist’s programming’ on my resume... Pausing, she frowned, cocking her head to the side, a strange sound catching her attention.

“I’m very sorry, Miss Bayport,” Ajay said softly, standing up. “I really wish we had something for you. Truly. It’s just... we have so many applicants at the moment wanting to work in this department, and even with Dr. Prentiss’ recommendation, I can’t, in good conscience—”

“Shhhh!” Roberta said suddenly, holding up a hand. “Wait. Did you hear that... sound?” Mentally, she activated her audio sensors’ filtering system, narrowing the band and upping the sensitivity... until she heard it again, clearly. A soft hisss followed by two slow beats ba-dum ba-dum...

Ajay blinked in surprise. The room was quiet, as it should be, effectively soundproofed to keep the noise from the fabrication floor below from bothering the researchers. “No, I’m sorry, I don’t hear anything...” He frowned, staring as the lovely blonde stood up and walked to the window, peering down at the fabrication floor, scanning as if looking for something specific. “Um... Miss Bayport, is there something—”

“There!” she said suddenly, pointing to two workers wheeling in a large wheeled cart loaded with a heavy blue colored barrel with radiation stickers plastered all over it. “That barrel those men are transporting. What’s in that container?”

Peering through the window, squinting to see what the strange young woman had pointed at from across the work area several dozen yards away. “You mean the blue one? That’s Cobalt-60, used in our radioisotope study for medical research. We just received a new shipment in earlier today. But, I do not understand what... um, Miss Bayport, wait! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?”

“Sorry about this,” she said, rearing back and punching a hole in the thick ‘shatterproof’ glass window separating the office from the work area. Several alarms rang out, and the door opened as security guards rushed into the room, but by then the nimble blonde had leapt through the shattered window, and dropped down to the concrete floor fifteen feet below. Ajay and the guards’ eyes widened in momentary surprise as the ground around her feet crumbled with the impact, and the building shook slightly, as if a great weight had fallen instead of a simple ‘human’ woman.

Springing across the room before anyone else could think to react, Roberta moved in front of the workers hauling the radioactive material. “Hold it!” she said loudly, placing a hand on the cart, keeping it from moving. She held that position as, seconds later, several uniformed guards pointed their weapons at her, yelling at her not to move. She nodded gently, waiting until Ajay had caught up with them, having to take the long way around.

“Miss Ba... Bayport,” he said, huffing and puffing, slightly out of breath. “Please. What is the meaning of all this?”

“Sorry about the window, Dr. Banerjee. I promise I’ll pay for it. And if I’m wrong about this, I swear I’ll leave here and never return. But if I’m right...” she said, grabbing the lid of the barrel and pulling with her cybernetic strength, ripping it apart like tissue paper—

—revealing a black clad masked man inside, with a small oxygen tank attached to his face, glancing up in surprise at being revealed—“Then I may have just saved your company a few million dollars in stolen technological secrets,” she said triumphantly ,as the guards turned their weapons on the intruder instead, who immediately surrendered, putting his hands up. She let out a soft sigh of relief as the guards hauled him away, and the gathered researchers departed as well, clearing the area as the security chief ordered the floor locked down until they could perform an extensive security sweep.

“Miss Bayport,” Ajay called to her as she turned to follow the others outside. “A moment please. I have to thank you for your assistance here today. You were right... had that spy succeeded in infiltrating our company and making off with any of our classified secrets it could have indeed cost of millions, perhaps billions. And there’s no way we would have even known!” He shook his head ruefully. “Might I ask you... how did you know that there was someone hiding in that barrel? All of the paperwork checked out. It passed through all our security checkpoints, cleared every one without a problem. And a simple check of the barrel with a Geiger counter tested positive for Cobalt-60 radiation emissions, though it was obviously just some trace amounts mixed in the lining to throw off the sensors. So... how did you know?“

Roberta sighed, considering for a moment, before nodding to herself. The cat was mostly out of the bag now anyway from her earlier display. “I heard the man’s heartbeat,” she said simply, reaching underneath her blouse, pulling free a intricate silver locket on a chain around her neck. Tapping it lightly, a brief flash enveloped her body, revealing her true self, with silvery chrome colored skin and hair, with golden circuits etched lightly along her metallic flesh. “The name’s Robotica,” she said proudly, extending a robotic arm, making a show by converting her hand into her trusty arm cannon and back. “I might not be the most well known or most popular Super out there, but I do know my business. This is why Angela referred me to apply here... as you can see I personal experience with complex electronic systems.“

Powering back down, she reconfigured her blaster back into a hand once more. “My hearing and sight are all cybernetically enhanced. You mentioned earlier all the heightened security from repeated attempts to break into your lab. So when I heard a human heartbeat and some kind of breathing unit coming from inside a supposedly sealed barrel, I simply put two and two together.”

“And I for one and very glad you were right,” he said with a chuckle. “I admit, I nearly pissed myself when you started to rip open that barrel containing radioactive Co-60!” He sighed. “You know... maybe there IS a position here you could fill after all, one that is sorely needed. What would you say to becoming out new head of security?”

Roberta frowned slightly. “A security guard? That’s... not really what I was looking for. I was hoping for something in data entry, maybe with a chance of advancement—”

“It pays twice what you were making as a secretary at your previous job,” he added, casually.

Robbie blinked. “Excuse me... did you say twice what I was making before?” Ajay nodded, grinning. “Well, maaaaybe I could consider it,” she replied with a grin, barely resisting the urge to jump up and down and cheer. “But we have to talk about your benefits package. And, um, my work hours will have to be flexible, considering my... other nocturnal obligations.“

“Oh, I’m sure we can come up with a suitable agreement,” Dr. Banerjee replied. “I’ll have to run it by the boss, of course, but as she’s the one who recommended you, I’m sure she’ll agree. Besides, once Mr. Grimalde hears how you caught that spy, I’m quite sure he’ll be more than willing to give you anything you want to get you on staff. Let’s go back to my office and iron out some details, shall we?”

* * *

I stood outside the office, letting out a deep sigh. The council would be in deliberation for most of the day now, and while it was customary for the one making such a proposal to remain in session until the vote was complete, my status as a badged Super, always ‘on-call’, gave me an excuse to make my retreat. I was told I would hear the results of the vote directly from the Mayor herself in a few hours once they had reached a decision, but I wasn’t overly concerned. If nothing else, I would hear all about it from Ginger later tonight after we met up after hours.

“Hey, kid!”

I glanced up as the door opened, and Chief Brennan stepped outside. “Hey. Good, you’re still here, I was hoping I’d catch you before you took off.”

“Hi, Chief. Did you come to bring me back?” I asked, surprised. “Is the vote over with already?”

“No, no, not for a while yet,” he rasped, shaking his head. “You know politicians... they have to hold a meeting and debate, then vote, on whether or not to hold a meeting and debate! They’ll be at it for at least a few more hours now. We’re just taking a break for dinner... and I came out to grab a quick smoke,” he said, holding up an unlit cigarette.

“Careful, Chief,” I warned, grinning. “The new smoke laws prohibit smoking on government property. If anyone catches you, you might get cited.”

The elder man laughed. “Oh, don’t worry, kid, I have some pull with the head the department. I’m sure they’ll only give me a day in jail, two at the most, when they find out I’m the Chief.” He sighed, his amusement fading. “And... while we’re on the subject... would you come here for a moment, please?”

“Um... okay?” I said, stepping closer as he leaned forward, peering down into my face, staring intently. “Um... Chief? I asked, blinking in surprise, a tiny bit unnerved. “What is it? Is there something on my face?”

“No, nothing at all,” he said after a moment, visibly relaxing. “You’re fine. Better than I’d hoped.”

I nodded slowly, then frowned, remembering. “You were checking my eyes, weren’t you?” I accused. Not bothering to deny it, he nodded.

“Yeah. Me and Red... uh, Bonnie... we have something of an understanding. I just wanted to make sure she was holding up her end.” He sighed, lighting his cigarette. “I’m an easy going guy. I like this city. I grew up here, have family here. And I love and appreciate you costume types doing what you do, fighting the good fight. Hell, when I was a kid, I always hoped I’d get super powers too one day, so I could be a hero. It’s probably the reason why I became a cop in the first place.” Taking a deep drag, he sighed again. “That said, I take this job seriously. I have a lot of respect for you and your friends, kid. I really do. And unlike some of the others in the city council, I am more than happy to give you the benefit of the doubt when some bad guy puts your brain through the wringer and makes you act like a lunatic in public.”

Taking another deep drag, he stomped out the butt, grinding it against the concrete. “But it’s another thing entirely when a person does that to himself... or herself, by experimenting, or messing around with drugs. You know what I’m saying, kid?“

I nodded briskly, swallowing. “Yes Sir, Chief. Absolutely.”

He chuckled. “Easy, kid. I’m not preaching, or accusing or anything. Your eyes are clear and blue. You’re fine. After this off-the-wall proposal of yours, I just wanted to be sure, is all.” He extended a hand. “And forget all this ‘Chief’ crapola. Like I told your friend Red... when we’re alone, and the ‘uniforms’ aren’t around, call me Jack.”

I shook his hand, smiling. “Thanks... Jack. Um, listen... I need to take off and make a few calls. But, well... thanks. For everything, back then, and just now, in the meeting. I appreciate you defending me.”

“Hey, we’re all on the same side, kid!” he replied as I lifted off into the sky. “And for what it’s worth, I hope your crazy plan passes. Even if it puts me out of a job. Heh... I could use the vacation.”

I smiled at that as I cleared the area. I honestly liked that man. Bon-bon was right... Chief Brennan was a decent and honestly good guy. Pulling out my cell, I considered that it was probably the main reason why I hadn’t co-opted him for this little drama I’d set in motion. Out of respect for him, or respect for Sioban... either way, I had done nothing to try and influence him in his vote.

The other council members, however... well, that was another story.

“Hello? This is Mayor Eastman speaking.”

“Hello, Miss Mayor. I have a message from Nigel Grimalde,” I said clearly and concisely into the phone.

I had to remember to thank Constance when she and the others returned home. Sioban and Tawyna had helped me with much of the planning for this venture, but Connie in particular had been instrumental in bringing things together. Nigel had, very early on, established control over several key important members of the city council, as well as various members of the State and federal government. Anyone that he didn’t control or own outright owed him favors, many of which he had called in in recent weeks on behalf of my Dad. Nevertheless, having knowledge of that network of people proved invaluable in getting my proposal passed and legalized. A few choice words, a trigger phrase, all known by Connie, Nigel’s right hand man... er, woman, and I had the majority of the council members voting just the way I wished.

And, of course, it was my beautiful and talented genius strategist, Sioban, who recommended that I trigger the appropriate members after the meeting but before the vote, instead of before the meeting started, to prevent any undue suspicion at all of the council members choosing to vote unanimously for such a radical idea without a long and furious debate first. As I understood it, the effect of triggering them this way would have the members justifying their strange decision to accept my proposal in their own minds by simply admitting that the others had made a good argument in my defense. At the end of the day, I would get exactly what I’d wanted, and no one would be the wiser about how it was pulled off.

“And you know exactly what to say?” I questioned the mayor, who responded in kind. “Good. In a moment when I hang up, you will follow my instructions to the letter. It won’t seem strange that you have suddenly decided to accept Luminaire’s proposal, after all, the bottom line is that she is in the right. When I hang up, you won’t remember this conversation, only vague memories of speaking to your daughter about something boring and unimportant.” I grinned wickedly at that. Ah, well, best to wrap this up. I had a more calls to make. “Now... who else on the council is currently opposed to the vote?”