The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows VII: Radiant Twilight

* * *

Author’s note: I would just like take a moment to thank all the people that helped bring this story into fruition, starting with my writing partner and collaborator, Baltimore Rogers. The man is a freaking genius, folks, and his questions, ideas and insights helped me take my humble story to another level. I’d also like to thank Madam Kistulot as well, for her input, and insight, for letting me borrow a bit of her Midas City magic, and for helping out with the epilogue. Other influences are too numerous to mention, but I should mention Van D. Built, Robounit8, Lisa Teez, and the late Sarah Castle, all of whom have had a profound effect on my writing. Thanks guys.

—J. Darksong

Author’s note: Don’t let this guy fool you, folks. He did 90% of the work and he’s sitting there giving me half the credit. It’s not fair. To him. Besides all that, I’m coming in late to a game that was eight years in the making. The setting? That was done by J. Darksong. All the major plot points? J. Darksong. Characterization? I’ll be generous to myself and say that I did about a quarter of that. And then there is the sheer volume of quality prose that this guy produces. I can’t keep up. Fortunately he was okay with that. Others to thank? If you like Nigel and the girls, they wouldn’t exist without J. Darksong’s (there he is again!) novel Hero of the Day and Trent Wolf’s short story Calico: Ensnared by the Red Octopus. If you haven’t read those stories, I envy you; you’re in for a treat. And I too owe a debt of gratitude to those who have gone before me, showing me by example how it’s done. Of those the late great Sara Castle stands out as a shining beacon. I only wish our paths could have crossed.

—Baltimore Rogers
All I do brings me close to you
Whatever you’d ask me to
Though I can’t take back what’s taken from me—
All I see becomes a part of me
And even if you don’t believe
Well I’ll see you where the river meets us...
—from Fighting Tao by Hurt

Prologue:

Major Matt Flannigan sighed heavily, resisting the urge to pace as he waited for the civilian attachée his superiors had sent him to return. He had to acknowledge, grudgingly at least, that she had been of great help in retrieving the stolen nuclear shells thus far, and that with the last five they’d tracked to the warehouse in front of them, they’d have the entire compliment recovered. Maybe it was the fact that they were so close to their goal, of getting back the last nuke and finally capturing the architect of this nightmare that had him on edge. Or, perhaps it was the incident back in Phoenix that had nearly cost all of them their lives that had him nervous. Either way, he nearly jumped out of his skin when his civilian ‘liaison’ dropped down out of the sky, literally, landing just a few feet away from him.

“Goddammit, what have I said about dropping down like that next to me?” he grumbled, irritated, showing anger rather than how much her sudden appearance had unnerved him. “The least you could do is make some noise when you do that.”

“Are your men ready, Major?” Omega Girl asked softly, ignoring his jab as she walked over to kneel down next to him. “The area is secure, and there is not traffic currently mobile in a two block radius. If we’re moving in, this is the time.”

The Major scowled, raising his binoculars, peering at the warehouse. “And we’re sure the girl and the nukes are in there?”

“According to the data sent over by your people,” Lacie replied, pulling a small piece of plastic from her belt pouch, “and from the satellite surveillance photos from the FrasierTech Division of NEST, they are.” She handed him the picture. “Thermal imaging. Looks like nine hostiles, plus Dr. Brooks, inside. From the layout, I’d guess one guard at each window per floor, keeping lookout, and one person manning the communications relay.”

He nodded. “Okay. What’s this big blue section here on the left-hand side?”

“That’s where I’d assume the nukes are being held. It’s a shielded room, that’s why it’s coming up blue—no heat or magnetic signature showing up. And definitely no radioactivity.” She sighed, tapping the small handheld device she’d brought with them for the past several cities. A modified version of one of Eugene’s personal scanners, she’d reconfigured it to scan for very weak neutrino and gamma wave emission, even through the devices; internal shielding. The additional EM shielding from the building, however, was enough to prevent an accurate fix.

“So...we’re just guessing the nukes are there, then?“

Lacie sighed inwardly. She knew the kind of stress the man was under, but she wasn’t exactly in this for kicks herself. “It’s your people providing the Intel, Major,” she pointed out. “They’ve been keeping an eye on this place since Brooks and her people moved in, and according to them, no one has been in or out of the property since.“

Flannigan merely nodded. He knew he was being an ass, but he didn’t much care at this point. He wanted this to be over and done with as soon as possible. The fact that they’d traced Dr. Brooks here to Washington, DC with the last of the stolen nukes worried him greatly. If the nukes weren’t really here, or if she slipped through their fingers—the list of high value targets just one of those five shells could take out made him cringe with dread. Congress, the White House, FBI headquarters...all were within striking distance from this location. And he sincerely doubted Brooks, a rogue FBI operative, had come all the way here with five miniature nuclear shells for a sightseeing tour.

“Sir,” Sergeant Simmons murmured, coming up alongside the pair, “we’re locked and loaded, and ready to move out, just waiting on your orders. Are we going full breach?”

“What? NO!” he growled, nearly shouting, but remembering to keep his voice down just in case the sentries were equipped with D-mics. “No full breach. This will be a coordinated strike. The last thing we need right now is another incident like Phoenix.”

“Phoenix, Sir?” the sergeant asked, frowning slightly. Major Flannigan sighed wearily.

“Yes, of course. You hooked up with our little outfit here in DC, replacing Corporal Fitz. You weren’t with us in Phoenix. Well, son, suffice it to say, things got a little dicey down there when we went in full breach, but failed to secure one of the targets...who decided to arm one of the nukes and set it to detonate, taking all of us out, rather than lose the rest of the nukes to us.” He shuddered slightly in memory.

“What?” the sergeant gaped, wide-eyed. “But that’s...crazy! How did you stop him?”

“We didn’t,” Lacie said stoically, glancing over at the sergeant then. “The man was a zealot...a brainwashed, mind controlled zombie programmed by a damned computer chip in the back of his skull. In the end, the other soldiers shot him, but by then he’d already activated the bomb. After that...I did the only thing I could do—I grabbed the bomb, flew as far up into the upper atmosphere as I could, and threw it towards outer space.” She sighed softly, turning away again, not bothering to mention that the shell had only travelled a few dozen miles before exploding, nearly blowing her out of the sky. “At least it made it far enough away before it exploded that no one was hurt.”

Major Flannigan flinched slightly at that. He’d been there, and he knew just how close they’d all come to buying the farm on that one. Omega Girl might have been somewhat blasé about her last second heroics, but they had been just that: LITERAL last second. As the man had tripped the switch to detonate the bomb, she’d streaked across the room, so fast she’d appeared as nothing more than a gold, silver and black blur, snatching up the shell and crashing out through the roof in the blink of an eye. A literal heartbeat later, the entire Phoenix sky lit up like morning from the explosion, the shell that had sat less than ten feet away from them detonating in a bright fiery explosion. And when the glare cleared, when the heat and smoke lifted, there she floated, high in the sky, pale, obviously rattled, but alive and well, and surprisingly untouched.

Heh. And I think it was a bit of a surprise to her as well, Flannigan mused. I know she’s supposed to be pretty damn near invincible and all, but even she couldn’t have been sure she’d survive. She’d leapt in headfirst without hesitating to save our sorry asses, not sure whether she would live or not. Huh. No wonder she’d been unusually quiet and withdrawn since we arrived in town.

“So...um...” the sergeant replied slowly, glancing from the heroine to his superior and back, “how do we make the approach?”

The major glanced over at Lacie, gesturing with his chin. “Ask Omega Girl. She’s in charge of this Op. We’re basically here to support her.”

Nodding, Lacie pulled out the schematics of the building again. “I’d like us to all move in at once, a two-pronged attack, with me taking out the sentries on the upper floors, and your men breaching from all four side on the bottom floor. And I’d like it to be a soft breach, with flash-bangs and gas grenades. Remember, these people are mind controlled victims. If we can take them down without killing them, I can disable the computer chips and release them from its control. If we all move in, in a coordinated attack pattern, we should be able to take down everyone without anyone being able to detonate the shells.” She nodding grimly, taking out a small handheld device from her other belt pouch, handing it to the sergeant. “That said, we can’t overlook the fact that Brooks might have prepared for something like that after Phoenix, and had someone set up a remote trigger of some kind. So, just in case, I brought this.“

“Hmmm...signal jammer,” he mused, looking it over with interest. “Nice. Pretty small though. What’s the range?”

“Should cover about a quarter mile radius—enough to cover the warehouse and any automated surveillance we may have missed.” Lacie sighed softly. “So...any more questions?”

“Nope. Looks like we’re all set. I’ll go inform the rest of the guys.”

Lacie nodded to the Major. “All right. In that case, we’re going in hot in two minutes. Everyone get ready. Simmons, make sure that jammer is set and active before we move.” Receiving affirmatives on all ends, he glanced down at his watch. “And you,” he murmured softly, knowing only Lacie would hear, “you look a bit winded for a Super heroine. You’re sure you can take down four of those guards by yourself without any of them raising an alarm—AND get to the storage room and disable that guard as well?”

Omega Girl nodded resolutely. “I’m sure. And I’m sure that Dr Brooks and the nukes are there, even without the Intel. I was watching the soldiers’ life threads just before I arrived, making sure they were actually there...”

Flannigan blinked, frowning. “Life...threads?”

“It’s complicated,” Lacie said dismissively. “Let’s just say I used a special trick to see inside the building that drained me a bit more than I’d expected. And with all the extra Seeing I’ve been doing lately, keeping track of other people, it’s given me a bit of a headache and major eyestrain. Believe me, bursting through a wall and taking down a number of armed guards will be a picnic in comparison.”

The Major nodded slowly. “Uh huh. If you say so. At any rate, it’s almost time to go. Get ready. We move in ten seconds!”

Lacie nodded softly, biting her lip. Ten seconds. And then this will all be over and done with. Stephanie...I’m sorry I had to chase you all over the country like this, treating you like a wanted criminal...but it was the only way to get you to lead us to the rest of the shipment. She sighed inwardly. It felt bad, treating a friend this way, using her as bait, considering how much she’d helped her son Jimmy prove his innocence and avoid going to prison. Indeed, when Jimmy and Katie had informed her about Stephanie’s visit, and their belief that she’d been ‘chipped’, she wanted to go after her then and there, rescue her and snap her out of its control. But...in the end, Jimmy was right. Keeping that stash of nuclear weapons out of the wrong hands was more important that one woman’s life, even if that woman was a dear family friend.

I only hope you can forgive me for this, later, she thought wistfully, as she counted down the seconds in her head. Even if I can’t forgive myself for using you this way...I’m still going to do whatever I can to save you.

Two.

One.

Now!

* * *

“Boss! We found ’im!”

Christina Montenegro glanced up from her desk, one dainty eyebrow raised in question. “I’m busy, Rafael,” she said dismissively, gesturing to the large stack of folders in front of her. “I’m going over the monthly take from our overseas operations. I told everyone not to disturb me...and you are disturbing me. Leave.” she said, turning her attention back to her reports.

“But...but Boss...it’s him! The guy you’ve been after. You know...Umbra?”

That got her attention. Closing the folders, she stood up from her desk. “Are you sure?” she asked cautiously, restraining her excitement. “You thought you had him before. Pedro thought he had him before. And you know what happened to Pedro after he got my hopes up and failed to produce?”

Rafael swallowed desperately, nodding. “Ah, um...well, we don’t have him have him, actually...but we know where he is! He finally left River City—he’s in Provo, Utah, practically in our own back yard!“

“Provo?” Serpentina hissed, eyes narrowing. Where we first met. Bloody bastard...must be pretty full of himself to come back here after what he did to me! Her scowl slowly faced, turning to a smile. Well, that only makes it easier for me, then. Trying to pluck him out of River City with all the other costumed do-gooders around was problematic, to say the least. Not to mention all the diplomatic ass-kissing with the other criminal organizations still active there, trying to work without stepping on someone else’s toes. Remembering her humiliating conversation with a local crime boss Blackfinger nearly made her spit in disgust.

That’s the problem with dealing with the local operations. Everyone’s a big fish in their private small pond. Never mind that I’m the Syndicate boss over the entire northwest section, including his area! You’d think I was some puta coming to the black-masked gangster, hat in hand, begging for scraps instead of the supplier for most of his weapons and drugs. Bah...even in this day and age, it’s still the same. Running a criminal organization is still thought to be a ‘man’s game’. Oh sure, a woman could be a companion, an advisor, a hunter, or even an assistant. But a boss, calling the shots? She sighed deeply, shaking her head. The only thing keeping me at the top is the fact that everyone is afraid of me. I clawed my way to the top over the broken bloody bodies of all of my adversaries, and anyone who dared to challenge me. I thought I’d proved myself when I took over for Falconi, that I’d earned their respect...but if I have to deal with the reputation of being the ‘crazy psycho bitch’ so be it. It’s better to be feared than respected.

“So,” she said after a moment, “what’s he doing in Utah?”

“Ah, well, um....apparently he stopped some kind of terrorist attack the other day. He and some state cop took down a terrorist cell singlehandedly, then disarmed a nuclear bomb.” He shrugged. “It was on the news.”

Serpentina sighed and nodded. “Alright. Send some men in to watch him. I want eyes on him for now. If he’s involved in stopping another terrorist attack, then let him do his job. Keep out of his hair. I don’t want some damn Al-Queda fucks blowing up my territory. But if it looks like he’s about to leave town, then grab him. I don’t want him heading back to his home base again.”

“You got it, Boss,” Rafael replied. “Mind if I take Las Diablas with me?“

“Of course,” Serpentina smirked. “That’s why I had them brought in. Umbra might be tough, but those three should be able to handle him.” She chuckled softly. “Just make sure they don’t get too carried away. I want to have the pleasure of breaking him myself.”

* * *

Dr. Stephanie Brooks paused, her glass of tea an inch from her lips. The sound of breaking glass and shouts coming from outside told her that the moment she’d dreaded, yet pretty much expected, had arrived. The military had finally tracked her down and were making their move to secure the last of the nukes she’d stolen. She sighed inwardly; her Master would NOT be pleased at their loss, but he’d prepared for the eventuality nonetheless. Her hand trembled slightly, as she palmed the detonator in her hand, flipping the switch to ‘active’. She wasn’t a fool. She knew exactly what she was doing, that detonating the nukes would kill her as well as everyone else in a ten mile radius. And she certainly didn’t want to die—she didn’t have a suicidal bone in her entire body. But...her Master’s command was absolute, and the programming in her head allowed only one choice if the military invaded her safe house before she had a chance to move the last remaining shells. Sighing deeply, crying inwardly, she closed her eyes and pressed the button.

Then pressed it again...and again, as nothing whatsoever happened.

Shit! she cursed silently examining the device. The battery was live, but the transmit light was completely dark. They must have brought a signal jammer, she realized. Clever. Looks like THEY learned their lesson after Phoenix as well. Guess I’ll have to blow the nukes manually...no. No time, it takes at least two minutes to prep and reconfigure it from automatic back to manual...and I’m out of time!

With that realization, her paradigm shifted, and the chip embedded in her mind began issuing new instructions. Moving swiftly, she pushed aside the small cot in the corner of the room, and lifted the hidden trap door underneath. Slipping through, she closed the door, and pulled the small switch in the corner, activating the winch, which pulled the bed back into pace, covering up the hidden door, making the area seem undisturbed. Just in time, she mused, as above her, the door to the storage room burst open, and several booted footsteps entered.

Not bothering to stay behind any longer, she made her way swiftly down the long dark tunnel underneath the warehouse, grimacing at the smell of filth and decay as she ran along, nearly blind in the darkness, following the instructions beamed directly into her consciousness by her Master’s control chip. Had she been fully in control of her reactions, she would have screamed several times from the brushes of fur and high pitched squealing at her feet, for which she was eternally grateful it was too dark to see what was around her.

On and on she walked, pushing her body to its limits and beyond. Having failed to destroy her Master’s enemies in one fell swoop, her priorities had shifted to two main goals, which had been given the highest priority. One, she was to escape capture at all costs! She could NOT let them take her alive, and free her from her Master’s control. If all else failed, she was to activate the built in self-destruct program and blow her brains out rather than reveal any of her Master’s secrets. Again, not entirely something she was looking forward to, and given the choice of frying her own brain or trudging through the sewers in a skirt, silk nylons and pumps, she found herself trudging along at maximum speeds to the other end of the tunnel.

Half an hour later, more than a mile away from the warehouse, she finally let out a sigh of relief. She was a mess; chip or no chip, the stench in the tunnel had proved too much for her sensibilities, and she’d vomited several times on the way out. Filthy, stinking, and slime covered, she was nevertheless joyful at being alive and free, having escaped from her captors’ clutches once more. A short trek down the road led to the car she’d parked several hours earlier, and stripping off her clothes, she splashed herself reasonably clean from the water from her survival kit’s canteen, and redressed in the spare clothes she’d packed in the trunk. Then, settled, and presentable, she took off, heading towards the airport.

And that was the second priority, the task that she was now charged with. If her Master’s enemies could not be taken out en masse, then at the very least, the orchestrator of his current situation must be made to feel his wrath. And the person who had caused him the biggest upset, the most degradation, the most humiliation, would be made to suffer, to pay the ultimate price. As she pulled around to the hangers for the private planes, she took a moment to appreciate the irony. She’d become enthralled by her Master shortly after the trial she’d attended to prove Jimmy Frasier’s innocence, to try and help the boy. Now, her Master was sending her back to fix that mistake, to make the boy pay for the defeat he’d suffered in court, the marring of his permanent record, and his own personal vendetta against ALL the Supers in his city.

In short, she was being sent back to take the life of Eugene Frasier’s son. Her Master had commanded that she kill Jimmy Frasier, by any means necessary.