The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows VII: Fading Light

by J. Darksong & Baltimore Rogers

Ch.6) Yield to the Hurt

So...the direct approach was not working.

I’d tried simply going to each of the Sweet Tooth Bakeries, one by one, in full costume, demanding to speak to the owner. Which, had gotten me nowhere at all. The farthest I could get was the general manager of each store, a bubbly blonde airhead with a sunny disposition, a large bountiful rack, and barely two brain cells to rub together. The GM for the last store was the sexy young thing I’d rescued from the Munns a few days ago. She called herself ‘Honey’ as I recalled. If possible, the conversation with her was even more inane that the previous ones.

“HEY!” she said as soon as I stepped into her office. “I remember you! You’re that Super hero girl...um...Looney Air! Are you here for some sweet treats?”

“Um, Luminaire, actually,” I said with a small grin. “Nice to see you remember me. Listen...I need to find Sweet Tooth—“

“Who?”

“Sweet Tooth. Your boss.” She gaped at me with a blank expression. “You know...the name of building outside...’Sweet Tooth Bakery’? The person that owns this company?”

“OH! You mean Chucky Baby!” she said with a giggle.

“Yes. ‘Chucky Baby’. Where is he? I need to talk to him.”

“Oh, he’s not here.” she said dismissively, turning back to her computer, and I could hear the distinct sound of ‘Angry Birds’ playing in the background.

I took a deep breath, willing myself to be patient. “Yes, Honey...I know he’s not here. The question is, where is he?”

“Um, I don’t know. Somewhere, I guess.” The sound of several birds cheering signaling that she’d completed the current level.

“Okay...do you know how to get in touch with him in case there’s an emergency of some kind?”

“Oh! Yes, of course I do.” And the music of the start of the next level.

I nodded, finally getting somewhere. “Great! So, how do you get in touch with him?”

“Duh, I call him on the phone, silly,” she replied, gesturing to the phone on her desk.

“Okay. Can you tell me what his phone number is, so I can call him?”

“No, sorry, I can’t do that,” she said shaking her head negatively. “Chucky Baby gave strict instructions. He said not to give the number out to anyone, no matter what. No exceptions.”

Okay, this was getting ridiculous. “Honey, I need that number!’ I growled, leaning over her desk, giving her my most intimidating glare. “I mean it. Your friend Charles is in a lot of trouble...and so are you if you don’t give me that number.” She gasped, eyes going so wide I almost felt sorry for her. “Now, you don’t want to be in trouble, do you?” She shook her head no. “Good. Then just give me Chucky Baby’s phone number, and everything will be fine, okay?” She shook her head again.

“I can’t. He said ‘no exceptions’. I can’t give out his number!”

I nearly face-palmed myself. Short of arresting the girl and taking her down to the police station I had no way of convincing her to give up the number. Even then, I had no real evidence of her committing any kind of crime; assuming anyone at the police station was lucid enough to attempt to book her, they’d probably release her again within the hour. The whole thing reminded me of dealing with Lucy Albinn, the little six year old I sometimes babysat.

Hmmmm...I wonder.

“Okay, Honey, Honey, whoa...it’s okay, baby, it’s okay,” I said, trying to calm her down, finding the sensitive blonde crying now, sad that she was ‘in trouble’ even if she wasn’t sure exactly WHY. “I have an idea. You said you can’t give out Chuck’s phone number to anyone, right?” She nodded. “But you also said he gave you the number to reach him in case there was an emergency, right?” She nodded again, sniffing lightly. “Well, I would say being in trouble with a badged Super is an emergency, right? That means you can call him now and tell him he needs to come back here right away. If you do that, if you can get him to come back here, then you won’t be in trouble anymore. And you won’t have given out the phone number.”

Honey considered, rolling that around in her mind like a BB in an empty boxcar. After a few minutes, she nodded, smiling. “Okay! That makes sense!” Dialing, she hummed softly waiting for the other side to answer. “Oh! Hey! Chucky Baby! It’s like, me, Honey!” Pause. “Oh, I know, but, like, this is totally an emergency.” Pause. “Uh huh.” Pause. “Yeah.” Pause. “Yeah.” Pause. “Okay. I’ll see you soon. Byeee.” Click.

“So, he’s coming here, then?” I asked, wanting to make sure we were talking about the same thing. She nodded vigorously.

“Yeah. He said, like, he’ll be here in, like, half an hour.” she said gleefully, leaning back in her chair. “He said to just sit back and, like, relax, and totally chill out.” She giggled a bit, as if she were in on some kind of private joke.

“Oooookay,” I said rolling my eyes. “Anyway...I guess I should...um...wait in the...the back somewhere...um...until he s-shows...up?” I frowned, shaking my head. I felt really sleepy all of a sudden. Sleepy...and kind of giddy. “Um...do you...like...smell something...” I began, slumping down to the floor. Gas. It had to be gas...only Honey was just sitting in her chair grinning down at me, completely fine. I couldn’t understand it. But as my vision faded to black, the need to understand anything faded with it...

* * *

Sioban walked into Tawnya’s room, folder in hand. Despite the fiasco at Lorenzo’s the other day, or perhaps because of it, the Angels were more committed than ever to the idea of bringing Katie into their family. It was a shame they’d had to skip out, but that crazy Lorenzo guy just knew too damn much. If they had waited for Katie to get back to the table there would have been just way too many awkward questions. It had been a lame excuse that Sioban had come up with to get them out of there, but it was the best they could do.

So now it seemed that their only hope of having any sort of friendship...or more...with Katie would be to bring her into Master’s loving arms.

“So, you finished your part of the dossier?” said Sioban.

“Yeah,” said Tawnya, “it was easy. Both of the River City newspaper websites had all kinds of news photos of her. Look at THIS one.”

Sioban issued a low wolf whistle, “Good job, baby. If he says ‘No’ after he sees that, we’ll have to wheel in a coffin, because he’s a corpse.”

“And you got the fact sheet done?”

“Right...here.”

“Oh, wow. This looks great...Really professional...You must be, like, ejamacated or sumthin’.”

“Yep,” says Sioban smiling and rolling with what has become an inside joke, “all the way through 4th grade! I even got a gold star for my coloring.”

“Do tell...”

“Oh, yeah. I stayed inside the lines and everything!”

“Wait,” said the big teenager suddenly, “she really went on her first patrol at age SEVEN? No shit?”

“No shit!”

“Fu-u-u-uck. I got a lotta catchin’ up to do!”

“No, you don’t. Look at her grades,” said the redhead.

Tawnya turned the page and grimaced. “Oh crap...That’s gonna make it harder. He really doesn’t like stupid.”

“Oh come on, you and I both know she’s not STUPID.”

“No...but really, Sioban. She was held BACK a year! Who flunks a whole grade level in public school these days? Even the Special Ed kids go on to the next grade!”

“Um, well, her grades weren’t THAT bad. I think her folks probably wanted her to try that year again to see if it would help.”

Tawnya turned the page to see the results of the repeated grade and grimaced again. “Hmm, yeah. It didn’t.”

“I know,” said Sioban, sighing. This girl had saved her life, and she made Sioban hot and wet just looking at her, but she was clearly far from perfect.

“Well,” said Tawnya, “it’s not gonna get any better just staring at it. So, when should we take it to him?”

“I guess there’s no time like the present!” said Sioban with a knowing smirk.

“NOW you’re talkin’!”

“Let me see when we can get on his schedule.”

Sioban took out her phone and hit the speed-dial. “Hey Constance, When will Nigel have some free time?...HA! Never? Very funny, girl. You know, I still know where you’re ticklish! Seriously though...Oh, I think 30 minutes ought to do it...Just Tawnya and m’self...”

Sioban covered the mouthpiece and whispered, “She’s talking to him now...”

She turned back to the phone, “Oh wow, really? That’s great! Thanks, Constance!” Sioban hit ‘End’ and grinned up at her partner.

“He’s got some time for us TODAY! This afternoon. He actually asked her to juggle things to make room!”

Tawnya gave Sioban a big bear hug, swinging her around like a rag doll, “Oh GODDESS, Sioban! I’m so excited! When is it?”

Muffled by the big girl’s chest, Sioban managed to ease her partner back a bit, “Calm down, baby. It’s not for another hour and a half.”

“Oh, Damn. I think I’m gonna go nuts!”

“Now, T-baby...”

“Oooo. Bon-bon. Don’t let Nigel hear you call me that!”

“You should talk. Or not. Shhhhh. Look. Everybody else is over at the mansion for the rest of the day. We’ve got the whole apartment to ourselves and ninety minutes before we have to make the pitch...”

“So, you wanna practice it or somethin’?”

“No,” said the redhead, a low, sultry growl entering her voice, “I want to ‘study’.”

Tawnya actually squeed in response. She loved the “study time” game. “Oooooo, yeah. So, ah, what should we study today, ‘teacher’?”

Sioban stood on her tiptoes to nuzzle Tawnya’s neck. “I was thinking...maybe...ear lobes.”

“Ear lobes?” said Tawnya, somewhat confused.

“Yes, and...other soft tissues maybe...if we have time.”

* * *

Ninety minutes later they walked into Nigel’s office, all business in spite of their ridiculous uniforms, like a pair of lingerie-clad junior executives.

“Mr. Grimalde...Master,” said Sioban, “We have a...candidate that we’d like you to consider.”

“A ‘candidate’?” asked Nigel as he took the folder.

“Yes, Master,” piped Tawnya nervously, “for the harem!”

“Hmmmm. I see,” he said, looking over the contents, inwardly cringing, outwardly calm, “and what makes you think that Katherine Frasier...is a ‘candidate’ for my harem?”

“Master,” said Sioban, “We, ah, met her. Out on patrol. She’s a wonderful person—”

“—not at all like those OTHER Frasiers—”

“—no, not a bit! And she’s a very powerful Super—”

“—and SOOOOO cute. Master, look at her. She’s really ‘your kinda girl’—", said Tawnya.

“—and we already know that we really mesh well together as a team—”

“Wait a minute,” interrupted Nigel, “How the HELL do you know THAT!”

Oh shit! thought Sioban, Open mouth. Insert foot. “Um, well. We’ve...already worked with her.“

“And exactly WHEN was THAT?” demanded their Master.

“Just a few days ago...when we took down the Piper and saved the Stasis Generator.”

Nigel picked up his remote and pressed a button. He mumbled, almost to himself, “I was wondering when you were gonna tell me.”

On the video screen there played a carefully edited montage of the entire affair, lingering seemingly forever over the footage starting where Ivory Angel crashed through the window. Falling...Falling...Falling.

“You girls have been holding out on me. Are we gonna have to go back to the days of directed patrolling?”

“NO! No, Master. No, please!”

“Then remind me of the rule about the Frasiers, please.”

Sioban blushed red as a beet. She always hated when that happened. Damn white-as-a-ghost skin! Can’t hide anything from anybody!, but she answered, “We avoid them like the plague. And then we tell you about it right away.“

“So what happened here?”

“SHE SAVED MY LIFE, MASTER!” shouted Sioban, “If she hadn’t been there, Tawnya would be bringing you a dossier for a fucking NEW TEARBEARER, not a new harem sister.”

Tawnya nods her head, stunned into silence.

“Actually,” said Sioban, just getting warmed up, “you probably would have lost BOTH of us, AND control of the Tears altogether.”

“Damn right,” added Tawnya, finally getting into the spirit of things, “SHE SAVED MY BLACK ASS TOO.”

“Okay, children,” said Nigel, pointedly looking at Sioban, “Enough shouting, enough...vulgarity,” now a brief glare at Tawnya, “I’m glad she came along when she did. You were all, all three of you, incredibly lucky. And I say that knowing full well whose dossier I’m holding right now. But I need you girls to think for a second. What would happen if I made Katherine Frasier my slave?”

“What? Master, don’t you think she’s good enough?” said Sioban.

“Master! She’s absolutely good enough! You’d love her like crazy!” added Tawnya.

Damn! thought Nigel, Never underestimate the power of ‘slave myopia’. They honestly think the highest aspiration of the human spirit is to be my sex toy. How do I say this without breaking their hearts?

“Ladies...If I were to enslave young Miss Frasier, it would change the balance of power. It would cross a line that can’t be ‘uncrossed’. It would start an all-out war. And considering that Armor Man and Omega Girl would be leading that war from the other side, I seriously doubt that we would win it.”

Tawnya was livid. “Is that what’s holding you back? This goddamned twenty-year-old FEUD? This is STUPID. We’re like the freakin’ Montagues and Capulets!”

Nigel raised an eyebrow, “Montaglias and Cappellettis.”

“What?” said Tawnya, confused.

“Shakespeare was dumbing it down for the locals. ‘Montague’ and ‘Capulet’ are hardly Italian names. But in medieval Verona ‘Montaglia’ and ‘Cappelletti’ were names to conjure with. So, tell me Tawnya, in this little play of yours, are you Ro-MAY-o or Juli-ATE-a.”

“Um, I...I don’t know, Master. S-s-sorry.” Tawnya felt crushed. Worse, she felt stupid.

“Look, guys...she’s a sweet girl. And I won’t insult your intelligence by telling you to steer clear of her. But even without the threat of Armageddon, the last thing I need right now is another slave wife. My harem is absolutely perfect. Just. As. It. Is. So, is that all, ladies?”

Tawnya was afraid to open her mouth and say something else stupid.

Sioban could feel this shame in her junior partner, her big little sister. It was distracting, but she was still able to respond to Nigel, “No, no, Master, that’s all.”

They began to make their exit.

“Sioban, could you stay for a minute,” said Nigel, some annoyance seeping into his voice.

“Um, Master, I’ll be right back. Just let me talk to Tawnya...I won’t be long.”

“Make it quick.”

Outside his door, Tawnya broke down, “Oh, I was such a fuckin’ idiot!”

“No, no, baby, not at all,” said the redhead, caressing the big black girl’s cheek, “You’re reading it wrong. If he thought you were stupid, he would have treated you like a child and patted you on the metaphorical head. Instead he engaged with you. He bantered with you. That’s how he treats grown-ups, honey. You did fine.”

“Really?”

“Really. You got a little nervous there at the end, but that’s natural. He is our Master, after all. Just, always try to remember that he loves you. Even when he’s annoyed, he still loves you.”

Tawnya nodded her head and smiled.

“Look, uh, Tawnya, I’m gonna try something when I go back in there...it involves you. You know that Master is famous for recording everything—”

Tawnya laughed. They had just had a great demonstration of that!

Sioban smiled up at her and continued, “If it gets back to you—what I say to him in there—I just want you to know that I don’t really feel that way. At least, not anymore. I’m just gonna try hitting him below the belt a bit to see if we can still get what we want. Okay?”

“Okay.”

Sioban went back in the room to face the music. Mr. Grimalde was a bit peeved. “You know, I would expect something like this from Tawnya, but not from you, Sioban. You know we don’t just pick up new slaves because we like them and want to be BFFs.”

Inwardly Sioban quailed a bit, but she was able to rally back. Now’s a great time to follow your own advice, Bonnie. He’s angry, but he loves you. You know that he loves you. With an effort she looked him in the eye and responded, “We don’t, Master?“

“No! Of course not!”

“Master, when Patricia retired I brought you dossiers three different times, each with an excellent Tearbearer candidate. You said ‘No’ to all three. Tawnya was the fourth. By then the Left Tear was practically burning a hole in my hand. I was desperate to find a new partner. The only difference that I could see between Tawnya and the other three was that Tawnya was ‘your kinda girl’; she had a nice set of these,” said the redhead, putting both hands under her generous E-cup tits and shoving them forward.

“That’s not fair, Sioban. Yes, I will admit that I liked Tawnya’s looks. Don’t you dare try to tell me that YOU didn’t! But she was ALSO an incredibly good candidate in many other ways as well. Oh, and one more thing.”

“What, Master?”

“You’re right, I do record everything.”

He pushed a button beside his intercom. Sioban heard her voice say, " If it gets back to you—what I say to him in there—I just want you to know that I don’t really feel that way. At least, not anymore.”

Nigel grinned an evil grin at her. She actually squirmed a bit under his gaze. He had caught her dead to rights and she knew it.

“So, I take it you agree? I made the right choice?”

Sioban’s shoulders slumped. She dropped her eyes to the floor, defeated, “Yes, Master. I do.”

“Good. I’m making the right choice now too. Katherine Frasier is NOT a harem candidate. That’s final.”

“Yes, Master,” her hopes, her dreams, her fantasies involving the pretty Frasier girl, all now lay in ashes.

“Now, now... as I said before, I’m not telling you to stay away from her or avoid her. Just that she’s a friend, not part of our family.” At that, Sioban perked up considerably.

“Oh, by the way, I made the right choice with you as well. Don’t you ever doubt it.”

“I won’t, Master,” she looked up at him and smiled wanly, “Thank you, Master.”

* * *

Well, this is a first.

Coming to, I find myself tied and bound with reinforced steel chains, though not to a bed or couch. I’m apparently in a back room in the bakery, with my arms tied above my head by a hook hanging from the ceiling. For once, I’m still fully clothed, which is a nice change of pace, but my leg hurts along my thigh. Maybe I hit it on something when I fell...

“Ah, so you’re finally awake,” a tall stocky grey haired man in pristine white chef’s clothes spoke, stepping into view. I could be wrong, but something tells me this is the guy I’ve been looking for. “Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Charles Sweets, but you can call me Sweet Tooth. And you, I believe, are called...Luminaire? My lovely assistants tell me that you’ve been looking for me.”

“Yes, I have. You’re a hard man to track down. But I guess you’ve been busy turning every woman in the city into a bimbo.”

“Oh, my dear child, it’s not just the women that are being affected. Men are being affected as well, turned into...hmm. I guess the term would be ‘himbo’ wouldn’t it?” He shrugged. “At any rate, the effect is citywide. Any adult or child who has reached puberty will find her—or him—self reduced to a sexually horny imbecile.” He broke into wild maniacal laughter.

Okay. This guy was obviously nuts, but crazy or not, he seemed poised to make his insane dream come true. “Okay. Fine. You’ve proven your point. So...what are you after? What will it take for you to call off your threat and turn everyone back to normal?”

The laughter died instantly, and he turned to glare at me. “What am I after? What do I want? Haven’t you been paying attention, girl—I’m getting EXACTLY what I want right now! I’m turning River City into the stupidest place on Earth!”

“Okay, I get that...but why? What do you have to gain from this? If the entire city goes completely mental, everything will collapse and turn into chaos! Just trying to track you down I noticed about thirty car wrecks throughout the city caused by people too ditzy and distracted or too busy masturbating to drive safely! Have you seen the local media lately? The local radio stations are pretty much playing whatever they like, regardless of what their station format may be, and that’s the ones that haven’t gone over completely into dead air, either too confused on how to operate the equipment or too busy pairing off to have sex to care!”

“Heh, you don’t know the half of it,” Sweet Tooth chuckled darkly. “Did you catch the news on TV last night? The lead anchor started getting it on with that cute weather girl, Donna Dixon in the middle of the broadcast.” He laughed aloud. “I’m only surprised the FCC hasn’t shut them down for breaking every indecency act in the book!”

Geez. I was right—this guy was nuts! “And...you’re okay with that? With this here entire city goin’ to hell in a handbasket?” I blinked, frowning. That...hadn’t come out exactly the way I’d planned it. And what the hell was wrong with my voice? I ran my tongue lightly back and forth in my mouth; it felt...odd. Thick and swollen somehow. “What in tarnation is wrong with mah mouth?” Wait. Did I actually say ‘tarnation’? WTF?!?

“Ahh! Good, good...I see the little injection I gave you earlier while you were unconscious is starting to take effect!” he replied, rubbing his hands together. “What you are feeling, my dear, is the first effects of my serum racing through your veins, affecting not only your mental processes, but your body as well. My ‘Apple Fritter’ formula should make a real southern belle out of you!”

“Huh? Apple...fritter? Southern belle?” I had a really bad feeling about this, but I needed to know what he’d done to me. Since he seemed to like to talk, I hoped a little prompting would convince him to keep talking while I stealthily worked my magic on the ropes holding me prisoner. I wasn’t disappointed; I wouldn’t be surprised if the guy had actually prepared and written a speech just for the occasion.

“You are probably unable to fully recognize the scope of my brilliance,” he went on, heedless. “My serum, unlike those utilized by my dull dreary unimaginative contemporaries, utilizes a functional mental and physical change with a central theme! Rather than turn every man and woman into a barely functional simpleton, my formula goes one better! Each different dessert affects an individual differently! A young woman who dines on my creme horns, as you might guess, will turn into a dim witted, huge breasted cow-girl. My Bear Claws...er, actually, I renamed them my ‘Puma Claws’, will turn a normal everyday housewife into a sexual predator, a real ‘cougar’, on the prowl for young attractive prey!

“Ah, but let’s not forget you, my dear little heroine. You were injected with a concentrated dose of my apple fritter formula, which causes definite and specific changes to your speech and behavioral patterns, as well as the general body enhancing and sexual drive increase. In short, you’ll soon transform into a kinky, sexy, blonde, wet-dream version of Julia Sugarbaker!”

“Y...you...yer puttin’ mah leg!” I exclaimed in total disbelief. Jess was turning into a cow-girl? Mom into a sexy cougar? And who knew what Aunt Roni, Uncle Parker, and the rest of my friends had eaten. “You...you...filthy, despicable, disgusting polecat!” i yelled, wincing as the words escaped my lips without thinking. Hell, i didn’t even know what a ‘polecat’ was! “What in the Sam Hill do you want, Sweet Tooth?!?”

“Respect!” he crowed, walking up to stare me in the face. “From you. From the other heroes. From the other villains out there. From this entire city. From the whole entire WORLD!” he yelled out, chest heaving slightly. “For years I have been trying to make a name for myself...to be recognized for my genius, only to be snubbed, shifted off to the back of the newspaper behind the car advertisements!! I subdue and capture a school teacher with my formula and turn her my willing obedient sextoy...and the Confectioner makes national news for abducting a trio of wealthy attractive socialites and a local heroine! I brainwash and enslave an entire squad of college cheerleaders...but the big story covered by the news was the standoff against police and local Supers and Kris P. Kreme, holding the mayor’s daughter hostage! I’m so fucking TIRED of being in everyone else’s shadow! It’s MY time to step into the spotlight!”

“Well, if’n that’s whacha want,” I said, as my dim, barely noticeable light nimbus finally cutting through the chains holding my hands, freeing them. Before he knew what was happening, I pointed my hands towards him, lighting up the room in a blinding pulse of bright light. He screamed, covering his face, rubbing frantically at his eyes even as he shouted for help. Another laser light blast cut the chains around my boots, keeping me tethered, and I was finally free. Rushing up to him, I grabbed him by the collar, lifting him bodily into the air with one hand. “All right now, pardner. Ya better hand over the antidote fo’ yur little formula, real quick now, before I get sore. If’n ah hafta keep listenin’ to mahself talkin’ like this fer much longer, I’ll be fixin’ ta beat ya up right proper like!” My eyes narrowed, glowing with a burning yellow light, showing my anger despite the silliness of my words. When he only responded by continuing to cry and scream for help, struggling in my grasp, I decided I’d had enough.

“Okay, fine! Ya done asked fer it!” I growled, rearing back to punch his lights out. A strong hand caught mine, however, keeping me from delivering on my promise. I glanced back behind me to find Sweet Tooth’s three minions standing right behind me, all frowning, and looking very much unlike their usually happy giddy and smiley selves. In fact... they all looked, um, fit to be tied.

Oh course, I HAD been just about to deck their boss.

“Ah...perfect timing, girls,” Sweet Tooth said with savage glee. “Sugar! Sweetie! Honey! This very bad girl here attacked me...and tried to, um...beat me up. She wants to take me away and lock me up in jail, where I won’t be able to see...or talk to...or touch...any of you girls ever again!” He walked calmly towards the factory’s exit door. “Do me a favor...and beat her to a bloody pulp!“

Yeah right. Like I was going to let THAT happen. I mean, I kind of liked these girls. I even kind of felt sorry for them, having their minds scrubbed clean and being used as playthings for this sorry S.O.B. Still, I didn’t intend to let sentimental feelings for the victims allow me to let this rat bastard get away. “Sorry, gals,” I said, “but yer boss is the only one fixin’ ta get the snot beat outta him tonight.” I yanked, pulling my arm free from the girl who’d stopped me from punching Sweet Tooth. Or...tried to. This girl, Sugar, had one hell of a grip. “Hey...c’mon...leggo mah hand!” I grunted, using my full strength, trying to pull free, only to find myself held tight.

That...was not good.

“Waaaahhhhhh!” I screamed as Sugar suddenly moved, twisting her arm, sending me flying back towards the far wall. Sugar had clipped my head with her elbow as she threw me, so I was a bit dazed, seeing stars even. I was so woozy that I couldn’t concentrate enough to fly. So I twisted as best I could in mid air, trying to get my feet underneath me, but the way I was spinning it would be sheer luck not to land hard face first or break my neck—

Huh. sheer luck indeed.

* * *

“GOTCHA!”

“Don’t worry, Lumy,” Sioban said softly, cradling me in her arms where she’d caught me. I felt so safe. I liked it. A lot. “We’ve got you.”

“You’re gonna be okay,” added Tawnya. With a flutter of wings, we descended the few feet back down to the ground, where they deposited me safely back on my own two feet.

“Lucky for you I was here,” Sioban stated, landing next to me. “That looked like it might have really hurt. Besides, I owed you one.”

“Yeah, yur shore nuff mah hero, honey,” I said sincerely, blushing furiously, wondering idly if I should reward my dashing champion with a kiss. Shaking off the momentary fugue, I refocused on the situation at hand. “Not that ah ain’t mighty appreciative of the rescue an’ all...but what in blue blazes er y’all doin’ here?”

“Are you kidding?” Tawnya answered, landing on my other side. “Your little light show a moment ago lit up three square blocks! A blind man could have found you.”

Ah. Nifty. “By the way, y’all didn’t see a slimy ol’ snake uv a man slitherin’ outta here afore you came in, didja?”

Tawnya blinked. “Why are you talking like that?”

I sighed, shaking my head. “Don’t let it trouble ya none. We ain’t got no time fer jawbonin’. Anyways, as ya’ll can see, we got this here little problem to take care of raht now,” I replied, pointing to the three sexy blonde bombshells making their way slowly towards us. “Watch yerselves, gals. They’re Supers. And one of ’em’s got one holy heck of a throwin’ arm.”