The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows X: Eclipsed

by J. Darksong & Gbrn32e

* * *

Epilogue:

“Let me out of here! Let me out! LET ME OUT!” Brian Chang screamed at the top of his lungs, pounding on the walls of his cell. “Goddammit! We had a deal! A fucking deal! I’m not supposed to be here!”

Warden Kowalski shook his head heavily, turning to walk back down the hallway. He’d had a very busy couple of days. Even now, he was still a bit confused about how things had gotten so off kilter in his otherwise neat and orderly world. Brainstorm’s shouts only emphasized the incongruity that he’d been struggling to come to terms with even more. Because, despite the outlandishness of the career criminal’s claims, he was actually correct—he HAD brokered a deal with the diabolical psychic in exchange for his freedom.

Ugh. Making a deal with a criminal to help rehabilitate other criminals? What was I thinking? I must have lost my damn mind! he thought, shaking his head in disgust. Indeed, checking back through his paperwork, he’d been astonished to find that he’d even signed for the release of several of his more dangerous criminal Supers over the past several weeks. He clearly recalled doing so, knowing at the time that it was the right thing to do... but for the life of him, he couldn’t explain WHY he’d done it. And I can just imagine the mayor’s tirade when she gets wind of this. She’ll have my guts for garters.

It all was so frustrating! One minute he was getting a report on prison conditions from his top sergeant and several other officers, and the next... there was a black flash of some sort, and a tingling sensation. He’d blacked out for a moment, and when he’d come to, he suddenly realized what was going on. It was a bit like waking up from a trance, finding you’d spent the past several weeks clucking like a chicken in front of an audience, and trying to reconcile what you’d experienced with the reality of what had actually happened.

Brainstorm had to be the one behind it, the warden told himself, making his way back to his office. Not sure how he managed to escape his power dampening cell or get free of that blasted collar of his, but it had to be him. It’s the only explanation. He sighed heavily. I only hope the mayor will buy that story as well...

He was just sitting down at his desk when his door opened and Sergeant Kenneth Stolworthy stepped inside. “Ah, Ken, perfect timing,” the warden stated with a sigh. “Tell me you have good news for me.”

“I’m sorry, Warden,” he replied with a shake of his head. “We’ve completed a thorough search of the entire compound, from top to bottom. But there’s no sign of the two missing inmates. They’re not hiding anywhere, they’re simply not here.”

“I see. I was afraid that was the case,” the warden replied. He groaned inwardly. “Well, there’s nothing else for it, then. Prisoner 4271659 and Prisoner 3733241-F are officially listed as escaped. I’ll issue a formal notice to the police shortly.” He shook his head. “Just what I needed, yet another shining example of the ‘brilliant leadership’ I’ve exhibited in charge of this facility....”

“All in all, it’s not a total loss,” Ken replied with a shrug. “Laraby Fredrickson, and Whitney Meyers—a drooling simpleton that can’t tie his own shoes, and a bitchy valley girl. I mean, it’s not like Stonewall or Lodestone burst out or anything!”

“Be that as it may, two escaped prisoners are two escaped prisoners,” the warden replied stiffly. “And Laraby Fredrickson had just been shipped back to us from Bellingham Asylum a week ago, dammit! Issues about his continued ‘safety’ or some nonsense.” He slammed a hand down on his desk. “No matter the circumstances surrounding their escape, it still makes us look incompetent. The fact that they are both powerless and such a non-threat makes their escape even more humiliating... it makes it seem as if we simply hadn’t been paying attention!”

“You can’t blame yourself for this, Sir,” Ken replied easily. “Believe me, Sir, it’s a real mess out in the city as well right now. The big wigs at the city council are all in an uproar about something. Whatever happened to us here at the prison seems to be more than an isolated incident. So far, it’s all rumors and speculation, but I’d be willing to bet when it all comes to light, a few escaped criminals from our facility will be the least of this city’s concerns.”

* * *

Venus Satore shuddered slightly, stumbling a bit at the sudden unexpected transport. Glancing around, she found herself standing naked in the middle of an ethereal field, a fog covered clearing in the center of Yggdrasill. Hmph. Higher authority, indeed, Venus mused silently to herself, shuddering inwardly as she turned to find three familiar robed figures standing before her, glowering in disapproval. Strange as it may be, I think I might have been better off back in that damned holding cell.

“Well?” Vurdra, the direct one asked bluntly. “What do you have to say for yourself?”

“And hello to you as well, Urdr,” she replied with a sigh. “It’s been far too long since we’ve all gotten together like this. You really should invite me over more—”

“Enough, Aphrodite!” Devon snapped. “This is serious! Honestly... is everything a joke to you?”

“No, Skuld, not everything,” Venus shot back heatedly. “Certainly not the events that forced you to get off your collective asses and actually DO something for a change!” She huffed, flipping her hair. “You bring me here to lecture me, to try and shame me. Well, if your aim was to make me feel shame or regret for my actions, I’m afraid you’ve fallen short of the mark. The only thing I REGRET was that Verdandi’s daughter failed... that her diabolical plan DIDN’T succeed!”

“Are you MAD?” Vurda yelled, getting into the redhead’s face. “Had she succeeded, we would have all perished! You as well! Are you truly so insane that you wanted to see the walls of reality crumble down around you?”

“Grandmother, please,” Lacie said gently, easing her back, before turning back to Venus again. “Okay, Aphrodite. Explain yourself. Why did you do this? Why did you give Katie forbidden knowledge of the Keys? Why did you alter her powers and aid her, knowing full well what the consequences would be?”

Venus stood there glaring, her expression flippant, but Lacie’s sincere desire to know broke through her resolve. “Fine. If you really want to know... I honestly wanted the girl to succeed. And no, I haven’t suddenly become suicidal or nihilistic.” She sighed heavily, turning away. “I know what you and everyone else believed, that breaching space-time the way she intended would have created a paradox that would have destroyed reality itself. But we’re talking about a Key here.” She turned to stare at Lacie. “You more than anyone should know what the wielder of such power is capable of. You yourself were able to reshape reality as you saw fit during your battle with Jeremiah King. And yes, the universe almost ended from your fight—almost, but didn’t. So yes... I was willing to put my faith in your daughter, and give her my help in the hopes that she would succeed.”

“Foolishness,” Vurdra muttered, shaking her head. “Utter madness. You truly are insane.”

“No, Urdr, I’m just a woman ruled by an unhappy past, just like you,” she snapped angrily, causing the silver haired Norn to gasp. “The brutal death of my mother,” she clarified. “That is what this all boils down to. Where were any of you when SHE needed help? When she was being stabbed and murdered in her own house in front of her six year old daughter’s eyes?” she asked, tears flowing, the old wound open and raw again. “Where were all the so-called heroes of this world then? She may not have been important to the ‘grand design’ or anything.... but she was important to me! So yes... I understood EXACTLY how Katie Frasier felt! And she promised me that if she succeeded, if she was able to change the world, she would bring back my mother as well. So, succeed or fail, I was on board. Maybe I am a bit nihilistic after all,” she said softly, staring off into the clearing. “Because the thought of such a harsh world where my mom’s murder could go unpunished burning away into oblivion doesn’t really bother me in the slightest.”

The three sisters glanced at one another, and sighed. “Aphrodite,” Vurdra said after a moment, “we sympathize. And I, personally, sympathize with you. Knowing your reasons has given us... a different perspective. Nevertheless, you have broken a divine tenement, and Fate has charged that you must be punished accordingly.” She extended a hand towards her, a stream of scarlet hued ribbons flowed forth, enveloping the love goddess. “As punishment for your transgressions,” she announced a moment later, withdrawing her power, “all of the slaves you have enthralled since your latest awakening have been freed, their bonds with you severed. They are their own individuals once more.”

Before Venus could comment, Lacie stepped forward, hand outstretched. “Aphrodite,” she intoned, sending for a stream of golden ribbons, “as punishment for your transgressions, your powers have been ‘capped’. Not removed completely,” she said with a sad smile, “but severely lessened. “Your influence and seduction will no longer run unchecked. You can still enthrall, beguile, and seduce mortals with your feminine wiles, but your thralls can no longer channel that power to spread it among others.” She nodded, withdrawing her ribbons. “If you wish to reclaim your empire in the future, you will have to do so one person at a time.”

Shaken, Venus glanced up as the youngest sister approached. “And what will you take from me, Skuld?” she asked, a half-hearted attempt at flippancy failing as her lip begin to tremble.

“Though there is much I could take from you,” Devon said, stretching out her hand, “I believe I shall give you something instead.” Black colored ribbons streamed out, enveloping the recalcitrant redhead. “Aphrodite, as punishment for your transgressions, you have been ‘gifted’ to experience the worst moments of each of your thralls, to share in their pain as you have previously shared in their love and devotion.” She sighed softly, withdrawing her power. “Every night, in your dreams, you will experience the worst moments of one of the people you enslaved in this cycle, one by one, until you have shared the pain of them all. It’s my hope that sharing their pain will make you better appreciate these ‘common mortals’ you think so little of.”

Lacie nodded in agreement, reaching out to take the redhead’s hand, only for Venus to jerk away. “I don’t need your help or your pity,” she snapped, fury etched on her lovely face. “I’m a goddess as well, remember? I can pass the veil and return to the real world on my own.”

“Indeed,” Lacie replied softly, as the angry woman turned to leave. “Aphrodite... we spoke true before when we told you that we sympathized with your plight. Perhaps we failed you. Perhaps this world failed you. But... how often have YOU failed those who depend upon you?” she asked, causing Venus to pause. “The goal of this punishment was to teach you humility, and empathy. It is a hard lesson to learn... but you will be a better person for having learned it.” She smiled at her then. “And who knows? Maybe, after a time, you’ll come to think of this as a blessing in a disguise.”

Venus pondered her words for a long moment, trying to come up with a suitable response. In the end, however, she was simply tired. Tired of fighting. Tired of suffering. Tired of scheming and tired of revenge. All she truly wanted was to go back to her home, and move on with the rest of her life. Saying nothing, she extended a hand, parting the veil between worlds, and stepped through...

Skuld sighed deeply, shaking her head. “Well, that was unpleasant. Tell me... does this gig ever get any easier? Or at least more fun?”

Verdandi managed a wan smile. “I can’t say it ever gets any easier... but it does have its moments. And being part of a family that stretches back to the very beginning of time is nothing to sneeze at either.”

“Speaking of family,” Urdr said, turning to face her two younger Sisters, “what do you intend to tell your prospective mates about the recent anomaly that has occurred, and that will likely continue for the near future?”

Lacie grimaced slightly. “I honestly don’t know. The situation is... confusing, even to me.” She shook her head. “How do I explain to my husband and children about suddenly discovering an entirely NEW life, a new reality, and that a son from that reality has come across into this one? Or that I, er, another version of me, is the one that sent him here?”

Devon nodded in sympathy. “Sounds tough. And I thought I had it tough trying to figure out how to juggle my new responsibilities with my old life, and school, and Jimmy.” She giggled. “Well, I for one, can’t wait to see his expression when he finds out he’s no longer a twin, but triplets, with an older brother.” Lacie merely groaned.

“Enough frivolity,” Vurdra grumbled. “We’re done for now. I suggest we each go back to our respective worlds and handle things as best we can. With both of you restored, the strain on me has lifted immensely, and I should be able to handle the repair of the breaches from Yggdrasil. If anything happens that requires your attention, I or one of our younger sisters shall contact you.”

Nodding together, the three goddesses departed, vanishing in a flash of light.

* * *

“You don’t have to do this, sis,” Jimmy said in a soft gently voice.

Katie shook her head. “Yes, Jimmy, I really do. I can’t hide from my responsibilities. I screwed up. Badly. And I need to face up to it.”

“Katie, we’ve been over this a dozen times,” Jimmy said in a tired voice. “It wasn’t your fault.”

“And I’m telling you, it IS my fault,” Katie insisted stubbornly. “If I’m ever going to be able to move on after this, I need to face my demons straight out without flinching.” She smiled sadly at him. “You’re the one that taught me that, at your trial, when everyone believed you’d killed that mom and her kids.”

“Speaking of which,” Tawnya added, placing a hand on her shoulder, “you know you could be facing actual jail time if you do this, right? I mean, think about it. You brainwashed the entire city, from the mayor and the city council, all the way down to the meter maids, not to mention the entire population! Now that everyone’s fully ‘awake’ again, the city council will be out for blood! They’re gonna want to blame someone for all of this, and you’re offering yourself up like a sacrificial lamb!”

“Yeah, good going there by the way, Grandma,” Jimmy grumbled, shaking his head. “Couldn’t have simply erased EVERYONE’S memories instead of JUST those who’d been inked. Like that would have been SO hard! Tch...”

Katie swallowed slightly. “Y-yeah. Can’t say I’m looking forward to this or anything. And the idea of going to jail... that really scares me.” She swallowed again. “But I have to do this. And... really? I’m glad she didn’t mindwipe everyone, and make them just forget about all of this. Dad always tried to teach us that actions have consequences. Well, I am just facing the consequences of my actions.”

Jimmy turned to the redhead standing silently in the corner. “S’ban, can you try and talk some sense into her? Tell her she doesn’t need to do this. Or at least wait a few more days until the hospital clears her fully. She should still be resting in bed! Hell, I should still be resting in bed, and I wasn’t nearly as bad off as Katie was.“

Katie turned, her eyes meeting those of her lover, and she pleaded. “Bonnie... please. I need this. If you...” she sighed deeply. “If you tell me not to do this, then I won’t. I trust your judgement. But... please?”

All eyes staring intently at her, Sioban considered. “Katie... I agree with everything Tawnya and your brother have said. Everyone out there is looking for a scapegoat, for someone to blame. They’re not to accept your apology for the heartfelt admission of guilt that it is—all they’ll hear is that you’re guilty, and that you’re the one to blame. That said... baby, I am so very proud of you.” She leant forward, kissing her gently on the lips. “I know how hard this will be for you. But if you feel so strongly that this is the right thing to do, then I won’t try and stop you. I’ll stand proudly by your side.”

Jimmy groaned softly, shaking his head. “Great. Thanks, Sioban. I should have known you’d be supportive and encouraging.” He chuckled dryly. “Fine, fine. You’ve got our support, too, Katie. I just hope you’re all really prepared for this. Conjugal visitation only applies to married couples, by the way.” Tawnya giggled, and Sioban punched him lightly in the arm as they left building, heading outside to the press conference.

Forcing herself forward, Katie stepped up to the podium, taking a steadying breath as she stared down at the assembled crowd. “L... ladies and gentlemen,” she said, wincing a bit as the microphone squealed. “Sorry. I, um.... thank you for coming out today. My name is Luminaire, and I asked you all here today to discuss the... the events from a few days ago.”

“You mean when you personally brainwashed all the other heroes and the city’s police force, and turning them into your own private army?” District Attorney Tracy Long spat, “and used them to enslave the entire city?”

Katie merely sighed. She’d expected the hostility after all. “Yes, Ms. Long. I fully admit to doing so. And I am here to publicly apologize for my actions.” A loud murmuring erupted from the crowd. “What I did was wrong. I betrayed those who put their trust in me to act as one of this city’s protectors. And I’m very sorry.”

“Oh, you’re sorry? And that’s supposed to make it all right?” a uniformed policeman in the crowd yelled back, to a round of agreement on his side. “You’re probably just sorry you were caught!” More shouting sounded, the mood of the crowd definitely beginning to sour.

“No! I’m not sorry I was caught,” Katie insisted, having to raise her voice to be held. “In the aftermath... I’m actually glad I was stopped. I know you’re all angry and disappointed in me. I accept that. I deserve only your scorn.” Her resolve strengthened. “But I want to make it clear that I am the one responsible for everything that happened. The other heroes involved were being controlled by me and following my orders. None of them are to blame for their actions.” The crowd began murmuring again, some in approval, others mollified by the admission, but a large number still obviously upset.

“Well, what exactly prompted you to do this, Miss Luminaire?” a female voice asked clearly, and Katie’s heart lifted slightly as the scarlet haired Deputy City Planning Chairman raised her hand. “From everything I know about you, this seems out of character. Did you just... I don’t know, decide out of the blue to suddenly take over the city?” Several more voices chimed in, asking the same question, which, until then, they had apparently never bothered to ask.

Thank you, Ginger, Katie thought gratefully, taking a deep breath. “I was... for lack of a better term, possessed. I had been enslaved by a... an entity,” she stated with a frown. “It’s hard to explain. And it doesn’t excuse my actions. I’m not going to try and hide behind the fact that I was being controlled by someone or something else—“

“Then why even bring it up?” Deputy Mayor Charles Getz accused, scowling. “It sounds very much to me like you’re trying to throw up a smokescreen, to claim, ‘It’s not my fault, the devil made me do it’ to keep from facing the consequences of your actions!”

“No! That’s not what I’m doing at all!” Katie protested as the crowd’s mood shifted yet again. “I... I was just... I just wanted to explain... to help you all understand,” she ended softly, staring out into the unsympathetic crowd. She closed her eyes again, wondering idly why she’d even bothered, when a strong hand on her shoulder made her open her eyes again.

“THAT IS ENOUGH!” Sioban yelled out through the microphone, causing everyone to go silent. “What the HELL is the matter with you people? Turning on one of your heroines like this... I guess it’s a lucky thing its midday, or you’d have brought the torches and pitchforks!” She sighed dramatically. “This girl, Luminaire, the Light of Justice... how many times has she saved this city? How many of you...no. How many of US, myself included, owe our lives to her? How many of you policemen in the audience have worked alongside her, have been helped or saved by her actions?” The silence was deafening.

”Dragonfyre is right!” Tawnya replied, stepping up beside her, giving Katie’s shoulder a squeeze in passing. “This girl is a heroine... a masked protector of River City... but she’s also a human being! She’s not perfect, and as far as I know she never claimed to be! Yes, she went dark and tried to take over the city. Yes, she very nearly succeeded. But IT WASN’T HER FAULT.” She grunted in frustration. “All of you are pissed because you had someone meddling around inside your heads, making you do things you normally wouldn’t do. Well, big effin’ deal! Welcome to our world! The girl you’re so ready to hang from the gallows had the SAME DAMN THING done to her... had HER brain scooped out and run through a blender. And trust me, what you guys went through is nothing compared to what she went through!”

”Yeah! A bunch of ingrates, the whole lot of you!” Darklight reprimanded the crowd, remembering only too well how public opinion had soured against him after Brainstorm had framed him. ”We’re the ones who stopped her. We’re the ones who fought her, getting blasted and punched, and kicked, and thrown across the city. Hell, I even spent a few days in the hospital just recovering from the battle... and if I’m willing to stand here beside her, if I don’t blame her for what happened, then none of you should!”

“Well, yes, of course, you’d expect her friends and family to defend her,” DA Long shot back. “He’s her brother... and it’s no secret that the three of you girls are ‘birds of a feather’, to coin a phrase. But the fact of the matter is that Miss Luminaire has violated the rules and statues of this city. She broke the law. And saying ‘I’m sorry’ doesn’t excuse her from legal action.” Murmuring sounded again as she made her way to the front of the podium, even as a large black limousine pulled up alongside City Hall. “Consider this formal notification, Miss Luminaire, that my office intends to pursue criminal charges against you!“

“That might be ill advised, Ms. Long,” Patricia Grimalde’s voice rang out clearly as she and her husband made their way up to the podium as well, “as MY office does not intend to pursue charges against Luminaire at all. Having made various private inquiries on my own, I have concluded that the matter is as the young heroine has stated, and that no further legal action need be pursued.” The crowd exploded again as those assembled began shouting loudly, some for, some against, all of it a cacophony of angry and confused yelling.

“Bu... but... that is preposterous!” Tracy Long yelled, getting directly into Patricia’s face. “Are you going to stand there in front of all of these people and tell me hypnotizing and controlling the citizens, not to mentions its leaders, and attempting to rule over this entire city is not illegal? That the same thing other criminal masterminds and supervillains have been jailed for in the past somehow doesn’t apply to this girl, just because she USED to be on the side of good?”

Rather than lose her professional composure, Patty countered with a question of her own. “And are YOU, District Attorney Long, going to stand there and tell ME that you do not adhere to the rules of your own city’s legislature?” She withdrew a carefully folded stack of papers from the pocket of her blazer.

“As I recall, the city council, of which you yourself are a member, passed Ordinance number 9.04.010.15 Addendum 7,” she replied, unfolding the paper, “which gives the badged heroine, known publically as Luminaire, the legal and executive authority to co-op the services of any and all individuals into the service of establishing a crime free environment within the city, as well as a strict zero-tolerance policy for anyone who breaks any crime, the penalty to wit is ‘reeducation’ of the offender through any means she so deems fit, including, but not limited to, and I quote: mental manipulation, hypnosis, psychic intervention, behavioral modification, brainwashing, and the like.” She turned to glare at the DA. “The way I see it, no law has been broken because you yourself made it legal for her to do what she did.“

Tracy’s face reddened considerably. “That’s only because she tampered with the city council’s minds!” she accused. “There’s no way we would have passed such a ridiculous ordinance otherwise!”

“I see,” Nigel replied coldly, stepping up next to his wife. “So, to clarify, your defense for passing such an inane law, is that you were being controlled, that someone forced you to do so against your will?” His eyebrow rose slightly. “Forgive me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the exact same thing Miss Luminaire herself stated about her actions, the same actions you wish to prosecute her for, saying that her claim of being ‘forced against her will’ is no excuse?” Tracy blinked, mouth opening and closing several times, before she merely scowled, turned on her heel and walked away in a huff.

Katie gave the billionaire couple a small smile. “Thank you, Mr. Grimalde, and Chief Prosecutor Grimalde, for your kind words on my behalf.” She sighed. “I’m very thankful to be avoiding prison... but even so, I don’t deserve to get off Scot free either.” Stepping down, she made her way over to the left, standing before Police Chief Jack Brennen, one of the few in the city she’d never bothered to convert. “Chief,” she said in a loud clear and only slightly shaky voice, “I’d like to formally turn in my badge. My actions over the past several weeks... have proved that I’m not worthy to carry it.” The crowd, shocked by the sudden surrender, went silent as she removed the golden engraved billfold from the chain around her neck, and handed it over to the grey haired policeman. “I’m... I’m sorry,” she said, her voice beginning to crack. “Sorry that I... let you all down.” With that she turned and left, taking to the air, leaving the rest of the onlookers stunned...

* * *

The young woman groaned softly, shaking her head to clear the cobwebs. She felt strange, really woozy, and her head felt funny, as if she’d just come off a toot, and was still half sea’s over. Huh. And that may very well have been the case, she mused silently, as she took in her surroundings. Not sure where I am, but it sure as shootin’ don’t look familiar. Well, Toto, we’re not in Coffeyville anymore. She was lying in a small depression on the ground outside, behind a large leafy bush. And that, in and of itself, struck her as odd, as she wasn’t really one for passing out and sleeping outside on the ground.

Even worse, she found that her memory was pretty scattered as well. It took her several long moments just to recall her first name—Belinda—but her last name still remained oddly out of reach. It was actually a bit frightening. She had no idea where she was. She barely even remembered WHO she was. Still... she was nothing if not pragmatic—at least she assumed herself to be—so picking herself up, dusting herself off, she began glancing around the area, trying to piece together where she was and what had happened to her.

“Hey! Hey you, there!” a male voice called out, causing her to turn. Across the street, several young men, all dressed in strange clothes, were chuckling and pointing at her. The young woman frowned. Huh? Had she been transported to the western frontier somehow? The boys were all decked out in denim and dressed like cowboys, minus the ten gallon hats. Shaking her head, she decided to ignore them and continue on, but they persisted, crossing the street to stand in front of her, barring her way.

“Hey, cutie, don’t rush off,” the leader, a broad shouldered square jawed boy with short cropped blonde hair said smugly, openly looking her up and down. “My boys and I just wanted to talk, yanno? Get to know you better, that’s all.”

“Yeah, what Jack said,” the second, a tall thin dark haired young man agreed, chuckling loudly. “Like, for one thing, what’s up with that crazy get-up? You goin’ to a Costume Party or something? It’s only July... you’re like months away from Halloween.”

The young woman bristled at the insult. “Me? You’re the ones dressed up like you just fell off the turnip truck!”

“Hehehe... turnip truck? Who talks like that?” the leader, Jack, chuckled. “Seriously, though, babe, what’s your deal? Are you in some kind of play or something?”

“Um, Jack, may... maybe she’s um, yanno... a Super?” the third guy asked, frowning slightly. “Maybe we should, um, yanno, back off a bit?”

A Super... the young woman thought dimly, the words stroking something in the back of her mind. Yes... that’s it. I’m a Super. A heroine... and I sort of remember facing down a... criminal? Is that what happened to me? Is that how I ended up here?

“That sounds like good advice,” a female voice stated loudly, as a young blonde girl stepped forward from a nearby alleyway, dressed in a cream colored blouse and a pair of khaki slacks, walking towards the group. “You should all back off and leave her alone. I don’t think she appreciates the company.”

The three guys glanced at each other, considering. The girl was pretty, very slim but with curves. “Well well well! Another hot babe,” Jack said with a bit of swagger, turning towards the blonde. “This must be my lucky day! So, hotness,” he leered, wrapping an arm around her waist, “what will it take for me to get in those pants?”

In response, the girl struck out her left hand, grabbing the nearby light post... and bending it downward as if it were made of silly putty instead of steel. “A lot more than you’ve got, buddy,” she smirked as Jack and his two cronies backed away in shock. Still smirking, she twisted the metal pole until it was straight again. “So, are you still interested in trying to get in my pants, big boy?” she asked with a smirk.

“Shit! She’s one of those Super freaks!” Jack yelled, as he and his boys turned tail and fled. Roberta merely watched them run, shaking her head.

“Kids these days... no respect,” she muttered aloud. Truth be told, she did feel somewhat torn about the situation. Weeks before, during Supernova’s reign, the city had been perfectly peaceful, a crime free paradise. With her control over everyone broken, free will had been restored, but as a result, incidents like the one she’d just broken up had become all too frequent. It was only a matter of time before real crimes started happening all over the city once more. Pushing the thought aside, she turned to the girl she’d rescued. “Sorry about that. Are you okay?”

The young woman nodded. “Yes, I think so, just darb, toots. Thanks for that.” She grinned. “You’re a regular bearcat, aren’t ya? Guess it’s a lucky thing I ran into you, then. I’m still a bit foggy about how I got here... and where exactly this is, for that matter.”

“Ah, you’re a visitor then?” Robbie asked, frowning slightly. “I didn’t think that, er, costume was local. Welcome to River City. The name’s Robotica, but you can call me Robbie,” she said, extending a hand.

“River City?!? That’s applesauce!” Belinda replied, shaking her head. “I live and work in River City, and this place is... it’s...” she frowned, trailing off glancing around at the city, her analytical mind comparing the cityscape before her with the city that she knew. “Well... maybe you ain’t pulling my leg after all. So... I suppose this might be River City, just not the River City I know.”

Robotica nodded softly. “Yeah, I kind of got that impression from your clothes, and the way you were speaking. Plus, I’m scanning significant traces of Neutrino and Chronoton particles from you, most likely from some kind of time travel.”

Belinda blinked again, time travel sparking another memory: her, tracking down a certain mad scientist, Professor Rotwang... his crazy invention of a time travel machine... her offering to test it out... the machine sending her forward to meet her older self, then returning back to her own time...

“Um, Miss?” Robbie asked, peering at her, concerned. “Are you okay? You look a bit stunned.”

Shaking her head, she gave her new friend a small smile. “Sorry, I’m fine. Just remembered a new piece of the puzzle. Oh, and the name’s Belinda,” she stated, extending a hand, which Roberta shook, “but my friends call me Billie. I’m pretty sure I’ve traveled in time this way before... but the last ride was much smoother than this one!”

Robotica nodded again, thinking. “Well, it just so happens that I know some people who have the smarts and the means to help you back to wherever, or whenever you came from. But in the meantime, why don’t you come with me? You look like you could use a nice hot meal and a place to rest up a bit.“

Flapper Girl nodded back at her new friend, grinning. “You ain’t jus’ whistling Dixie, sister. Now you’re talking my language. I’m so hungry, I could eat a horse. Lead the way!”

* * *

“So how much longer ’til yer old office is back up and running?” Eugene asked Nigel as the pair made their way down the hallway of GrimTech’s Research and Development department. “I’d imagine having a bunch of Supers having a brawl inside and on the roof didnae do the building any favors.”

“No, your daughter and her friends caused a bit of a mess, but the damage done was only superficial,” Nigel replied. “We’re looking at maybe a week or two more before we can move back in.” He sighed. “I think I might actually miss staying at the mansion, but it will be good to get things back to normal again.”

“Aye... I imagine it would be,” Gene replied, almost wistfully. Nigel noticed, however.

“Eugene... are you sure you’re satisfied with this.... arrangement?”

“Ye mean as yer ‘silent partner’?” the aged Scotsman asked, smirking. “Oh, aye. Verra much. I’ve been the boss of my own company for more than half my life, though it was more a matter of necessity than a desire to sit in the big chair. Frankly, I’m much more at home in the workshop than I am in the boardroom.“ He sighed again. “Plus... I’m too old to start over again from scratch. As yer partner, I have the freedom to invent and work, without the worry that my inventions will be misused or stolen by a rival corporation.”

“Leaving me to deal with the headaches while you have all the fun, eh?” Nigel replied with a genuine grin. “Very well. If that’s the way you want it, I certainly won’t complain about having your genius adding to my profit margins.”

Eugene laughed... but then went into a brief coughing fit, causing Nigel to pause, waiting for him to recover. “Sorry. It’s nothing,” he said, waving his friend on. “Just a bit of a lingering chest cold is all. Let’s move on.”

Nigel stared at him sidelong as they continued walking. Chest cold my ass. You’re a lot worse off than you’re pretending, old man, Nigel thought dimly. I spoke to the doctor privately before he released you the other day. I know the truth. All that neurological damage you suffered, and the additional strain of trying to regain the use of your legs had taken a heavy toll on you. Neither of us is getting any younger, mind... but in the past few days, you seem to have aged a decade. He shook his head softly at the thought of losing yet another friend, one that he’d only recently made. I just wish there was something I could do...

“So, what do these early morning meetings usually consist of?” Eugene asked as they approached the Administrative Office, pulling Nigel from his musings. The billionaire industrialist chuckled softly, pushing open the door for his wheelchair bound friend.

“Oh, you know, the usual rigmarole, where the department heads try to promote new ideas and areas of focus for project funding,” he replied with a shrug, “while I get to tell them which ones are unrealistic, which ones will break the company, and which ones we will actually be pursuing...” He trailed off, frowning slightly, as he entered to find the room nearly empty, aside from his Executive VP. “Angela?” he asked, glancing around in confusion. “Are we early, or is everyone else running late?”

The blonde VP shook her head vigorously, smiling gleefully, barely able to contain herself. “No, Sir. It’s just me today. I prepared a very special presentation on a very specific product I wish to promote.” She gestured to the table as both gentlemen sat down. Once seated, she brought them both glasses and filled them with tea. “Please, drink up,” she said, nearly bouncing in place, clutching the china teapot. “It’s a very special blend. I’m curious about what you think.”

Nigel sipped, then nodding, drank deeper. “Mmmm... it’s good.”

Eugene nodded, having drained his own glass. “Aye. I agree. I’m not much of a tea drinker, but, aye... I could get used to this.”

“Great!” Angela said, smiling knowingly. “Anyway, on to my presentation!” She stepped in front of the room. “As you know by now, my little adventure in the Nornir dimension ended a bit differently from Patricia and the others. For some unknown reason, I was picked to be the Arbiter of Fate... the one human being in the world that gets to choose whether or not Fate Herself would intervene in the crisis that happened last week.” She shook her head ruefully. “Talk about the worst pop quiz in history—a single true false question to decide the fate of not only our lives, but the lives of everyone in the universe!” She giggled nervously. “So, um, no pressure or anything. But, we’re all here, alive and well, so I’d say I chose correctly.”

“The fact of which we are all supremely grateful,” Nigel replied with a wry nod. “Still, I’m sure what this has to do with your presentation here today.”

“Ah, yes, I’m getting to that,” she said, glancing at her watch. “As a matter of fact, I’ve been secretly working on a little private black project of my own for the past several months. I’d hit a brick wall, and wasn’t getting anywhere in my research... until our trip to Norway.” She grinned. “So, gentlemen, do you recall how youthful and revitalized Delores and Patricia looked when they came back from Yggdrasil?”

Nigel blinked, frowning, glancing down at the empty glass on the table in front of him even as a strange tingling sensation began to race through his body. “No. NO! You didn’t?” he asked her, incredulously, as both he and Eugene began to glow lightly.

“I did!” Angela laughed happily, giving in to her exuberance, jumping up and down. “I figured it out! At the end of everything, as a reward for playing the role as Arbiter, Fate gave me a gift. She granted me future knowledge of one event, and allowed me to retain that knowledge afterwards. So I asked to see exactly how to recreate the elixir that gave us all our youth back!” She sighed softly, shaking her head. “Even then, it wasn’t as easy as simply writing down the recipe and cooking up a batch. We’re talking very exotic ingredients here, and a very complicated steeping and brewing process. I’ve been working on this ever since I returned, and just finished an hour ago!” She sighed softly as the glow finally faded, her smile returning. “Still, I’d say it was worth the effort, don’t you think?” she quipped, sliding over two small makeup compact mirrors.

Staring at his outstretched hand in fascination, he glanced at himself in the mirror, his jaw visibly dropping as he stared at himself. “I look the way I did back when I was in my thirties,” he murmured in disbelief. “This is... it’s incredible! And I feel... mmmm... I feel young as well! Like I could take on the world again!” he said with a laugh.

Eugene frowned slightly, leaning forward to reach for his, only to gasp in surprise. “Angela,” he said, his voice trembling slightly as he slowly rolled his wheelchair back away from the table, “lass, I dinnae ken exactly what you used to make that tea ye served us,” he said slowly, taking a deep breath, “but I’d have to say it was definitely worth it. Ach, lass... I dinnae have words...” he began only to falter, shaking his head, crying silently.

“Eugene? What is it?” the new and improved Nigel asked, concerned, “What’s wrong? You didn’t even look at your reflection. Trust me, it worked! You’re young again. All the grey hair and wrinkles... dammit man, you’re young again! Why are you—” Only to fall silent as Eugene, planting his hands firmly on the sides of his chair, stood up, spinning in a slow circle on his own two feet. “Gene,” Nigel breathed in shock, before laughing loudly, pulling his friend into a deep hug. He glanced over at Angela, who merely still smiling, her own cheeks wet with tears. “Angela,” he said sincerely, “thank you for this. You don’t know... damn... now I’m at a loss for words, too,” he said ruefully, laughing again.

“Well, you’re both dearly welcome,” Angela said proudly. “I was hoping the elixir’s regenerative powers would heal Eugene’s injuries as well as making him younger, but I didn’t want to get anyone’s hopes up until I was sure.” She smirked playfully. “I take it you’re both interested in this particular project, then? I would caution you that it WAS a bit expensive to produce those two samples. And making more would likely be a bit spendy as well.”

“Oh? How spendy?” Nigel asked, curious. “How much would it cost to create, say... a third dose?”

“About ten billion dollars and change,” Angela replied, flipping through her notes.

“Te... ten billion?!?” Nigel exclaimed. Frowning, he briefly contemplated the value, whether or not it was still feasible to risk his fortune for a chance at eternal youth and vitality. Sighing, he shook his head. “Well, we certainly won’t be marketing this particular product,” he replied with a sigh.

“Aye. That would put a serious dent in both of our accounts,” Gene replied soberly. “Nevertheless, I’d hang on to that formula, Angela, just in case. Ye never what, things may change in the future.” Turning on his heel, he walked over to the door.

“Eugene? Where are you going?” Angela asked.

The middle-aged Scotsman chuckled at the question. “Lass, for the first time since I was a teenager I’m able to walk under and move around under my own power, without technology propping me up. And for the first time in three months I’m able to feel below my waist without psychic or technological assistance. I’m doing what any man in my situation would do. I’m heading home to find Lacie and Eva and catch up for lost time!” Angela chuckled briefly, then gasped as she felt Nigel’s strong arms wrap around her waist from behind.

“The man has a definite point,” he murmured softly, nibbling along the side of her neck in the way that always made her weak in the knees. “You’ve given us both the most valuable thing imaginable: time. And I for one do not intend to waste any more of it. Now, what do you say we cut this meeting short, head back to the mansion, and I show you just how appreciative I am about all the hard work you’ve done.” Mouth suddenly dry with anticipation, Angela merely managed a nod, and quickly followed her Master out of the room and down to the car park...

* * *

“Katie? Baby? Are you okay?” Sioban asked gently, coming into Katie’s bedroom. The young blonde glanced up, eyes red, but nodded, patting the bed beside her. Sioban lay down next to her, pulling her close, saying nothing for a long moment, simply enjoying the feeling of their closeness. “Sorry. I thought maybe you were sleeping. Still upset about the press conference?” Katie sighed but nodded. “Yeah. That press conference,” she said after a moment, “that was really intense. But, well, you know how crowds go. They run hot and cold. Yesterday’s heroine is today’s villain, and tomorrow’s heroine again. You can’t let their reaction get to you. And, well, you knew it would be rough going in.”

“Yeah,” Katie replied, sniffling. “And, really, it’s not the booing or jeering that gets to me. It’s not having the DA and the media calling me a villain, or losing my badge. What really hurts is the fact that I let everyone down.” She sighed, wiping her eyes. “Did you... did you get into trouble? You know... with Chief Brennen?”

“The Chief,” Sioban said heavily, rolling over onto her back, staring up at the ceiling. “Jack Brennen is a good man. One of the few men I can honestly say I respect. He takes his job very seriously. And, honestly... he told me that if you hadn’t surrendered your badge voluntarily, he would have pulled you aside privately and demanded it.” She shook her head. “You crossed a line with him, sweetie. He told me to tell you that he supports you and wishes you well, and that if you get things in your life straightened out, he will be happily to present the badge back to you himself. But that right now, as you are, you’re not ready to do the job of a River City heroine. And... he’s right.”

Katie nodded, rolling over into her back as well. “Yeah. I agree. And... that’s okay. To be honest, I can use the break. The entire time you were gone, I probably slept a total of eight hours without a heavy dose of Dust in my system...” Feeling her lover stiffen beside her, she quickly added. “And I know, I know, I’m sorry. I broke my word to you. No excuses. And I’m ready to take my punishment from you for doing so. It’s just... it was so HARD being here all by myself, you know? And that Dust kept my emotions so flattened that everything was bearable.”

“Katie...”

“I know, I know. No excuses,” she said with a slight nod. “But don’t worry. I am off that stuff for good. I had a little midnight encounter with the real Dust, and let’s just say she convinced me to quit cold turkey.” She shuddered again, remembering the incident all too well. “Believe me, I wouldn’t ‘dust’ again if you put a gun to my head.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” Sioban replied, ruffling Katie’s hair gently. “But that still doesn’t excuse you breaking your promise. Luckily, I have the perfect punishment in mind,” she added, grinning diabolically. “Katie, for the next two months, you’re going to act as my TA at the University,” she announced with devilish glee. “My new renegotiated contract allows me to name my assistant, and as the budget for him or her won’t be available until the start of the fall semester, I’m appointing you as my new unpaid intern.”

Katie rolled over, giving Sioban a brief kiss before responding. “So, basically, you’re saying, as my ‘punishment’, I get to go to work with you, spend the day hanging out with you, and helping you with your classes?” She grinned. “I don’t see the down side here.”

“Did I mention my first classes start at 7am?” Sioban added with a grin.

“S... seven?” Katie groaned aloud, pulling a pillow over her head. “I take it all back. You are truly diabolical.” Sioban laughed gleefully. “Hey, wait. I just thought of something. That means you’ll have to get up at God-early in the morning as well to get ready for class,” she pointed out.

“Not so, young one,” Sioban stated, tapping Katie’s nose lightly with her index finger. “You forget! With my new upgraded abilities, I can now use ‘Instant Transmission’ to beam myself directly to my office. I can take my time, enjoy a leisurely shower, dress, and have breakfast, and then poof myself into the office just before classes start.”

“What about your car?”

“Eh?” Sioban replied, blinking. “My car? I... ahhh hell,” she groaned, slamming her head into a pillow as Katie giggled. “You’re right. The Spyder is pretty well known around campus now. If I arrived at work on time without my car, I’d have to answer some pretty awkward questions. Damn... guess I’ll have to drive in like normal after all.”

“Sorry to burst your bubble, sweetie,” Katie replied gently, sounding and looking not the least bit sorry at all. To which, Sioban responding by digging her fingers into Katie’s sides and tickling the helpless blonde for several long minutes until she cried uncle.

“Okay... but seriously, Katie,” Sioban said gently once they’d both calmed down. “From now on, no more lies. No more secrets. No going behind my back, okay? I promise to be honest and up front with you as well, okay? But please... no more surprises between us?” Katie suddenly glanced to the side, averting her eyes. “Katie?” Sioban asked, frowning. “What is it? What’s wrong?”

“Well,” she said softly, forcing herself to meet her lover’s gaze. “I have to confess... I, um... talked to Nigel earlier. About... his slave trainer.” She swallowed as Sioban’s expression fell. “I really want to go through the program, to be turned into a slave the way you and Tawnya and the others did! I know you don’t approve, that you think I should just face things without the use of a crutch, but—”

“But you want to know for yourself what it’s like,” Sioban finished, shaking her head in disbelief. “Oh my goddess... I can’t believe you.... again... that you would...” She stood up from the bed, pacing back and forth, angry but not wanting to yell, trying so hard to contain her frustration at the fragile girl staring hopefully at her. “I just... I thought we were past this now,” she said in defeat a moment later. “I thought you understood... that you don’t NEED to belong to Nigel’s harem to be with meee—uhhmmph!” Sioban’s protests were silenced as Katie, having slid out of bed, pulled her into a deep passionate, lingering kiss, letting her body rub against hers, caressing, stroking, speaking without words, until Sioban began to melt into her.

“Sioban,” she said gently a moment later, eyes shining, “I wasn’t asking to become part of the harem. I don’t want to be Nigel’s obedient devoted slave. I want to be your obedient devoted slave.” Sioban gasped. “Bonnie, baby... I’m a mess. A truly, elegant gawd awful mess. On top of that, my powers have evolved, become something dangerous and unpredictable.” She sighed softly. “I don’t trust myself to make good decisions right now. But I do trust you.” Sioban opened her mouth to protest, but Katie kissed her again. “I’m stubborn. I’m opinionated. And I need discipline, and structure in my life. Baby, believe me when I say I know what I’m getting into. I’ve talked with Nigel, and Dee Dee, and Patty, and T, and I know the risks as well as the rewards.” Taking a deep breath, she activated her Neuroweave clothing, standing before Sioban completely naked, then dropped to her knees in front of the shocked redhead. “I want you as my Mistress. I swear to give you everything, and deny you nothing. Your will, and your purpose, will become mine. You can use me any way you wish... or even... not at all,” she said swallowing painfully. “All I beg is that you accept me... as your slave.”

Sioban stood there for several long moments, taking in her words. This was more than just a whim, or a flight of fancy. It was obvious that her lover needed this. And... to be honest with herself, Bonnie needed this as well. She loved Katie with all of her heart and soul... but there were times with the girl frustrated her to no end. As her Mistress, she could keep her flightiness in check. She wouldn’t truly dominate the girl... not really. Not, unless Katie was in a mood to be dominated. Occasionally, that is. After all the time she had spent as Nigel’s obedient thrall, it would feel good to exercise her own dominate side... just a little.

“Okay,” Sioban said, kneeling down in front of Katie, taking her hands in her own. “But we’re going to talk long and hard about exactly what kind of programming goes into your head first, okay? I love you for who you are, Katie Frasier. I don’t want some willless soulless zombie. And, well... it might be fun to, um... well... role reverse now and again,” she said shyly, cheeks blushing red. “You know... let YOU hold the reins for a while, now and again. I’m just saying... if we do this, we need to make sure this is the right thing to do for both of us. Agreed?”

Katie nodded joyfully, pulling her soon to be Mistress, and the love of her life in her arms. “Agreed,” she said happily, looking forward to what would no doubt be the rest of her very happy life.

((end))