The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Rick Summer, Ace Detective

by Angelique Bouchette

Chapter 2: Into The Frying Pan

Rick’s old, battered Ford Galactica hovermobile, settled down on the close-cropped, superbly groomed lawn, with a variety of groans, squeaks and rattles, the linear-magnetic motor, whining its protest. He sighed, and switched off the engine. “I will definitely have to get me some new ‘wheels’,” he thought. “This heap of old junk, is just about ready to fall apart!” He’d even had to drive over on manual, because the auto-pilot had finally given up the ghost, some three-months before, almost dumping him in the Bay, before he’d wrested control back from it!

As he stepped down from the cockpit, he found himself surrounded by a half-dozen hulking Robo-guards, each armed with a lightweight machine pistol, and electric cattle prod. He was more than a little surprised. This was a job normally carried out by human personnel, at a fraction of the cost of their electro-mechanical counterparts?

“Hands above your head, buster!” snapped the head honcho, in a menacing voice, stepping forward. His optical sensors glittered, with that dull, lifeless look, characteristic of all androids. Otherwise he looked a reasonable facsimile of a gorilla, wearing a business suit. Apart from the serial number on the breast pocket of his jacket, he looked identical to his five muscular companions.

Rick didn’t argue. These guys looked like they all had itchy trigger fingers, and a bad case of indigestion, and he was on their turf, after all. “Easy boys!” he murmured, slowly placing his hands on top of his head. “The name’s Rick Summer, and I have an urgent appointment with your boss!”

RD10000457, stepped forward and quickly frisked him, removing his Walther PPK9, from his shoulder holster, before removing his billfold, and checking out his I.D. He then nodded to one of his fellows Robo-guards, who stepped forward with a computer-interfaced ophthalmoscope, and shone it into Rick’s eyes.

“Retina patterns both match those in the data banks, Chief!” the ‘droid murmured, before stepping back into line again.

His boss nodded. “Okay, Summer, the boss is expecting you!” he growled, prodding him with the gun barrel. “Walk ahead of me, up to the main entrance, and don’t try any funny business? The boss don’t like to be kept waiting!” The lines could have come straight out of an ancient gangster movie.

“It could’ve been worse,” Rick mused, “he could’ve used his cattle prod! I wonder why they didn’t just scan my I.D. chip though?”

* * *

By the year 2037, the science of Robotics had advanced in leaps and bounds, and great strides had been made in other associated fields of research, such as Bio-Mechanics and Computerized Control Systems, so that many of the more mundane, routine, or more dangerous tasks, formally carried out by the human race, where now performed by Robots, or Androids, the latter being almost indistinguishable from their human counterparts!

Although their bodies were now grown in huge vats of nutriment, to accurately duplicate their human counterparts, the basic skeletal, muscular and nervous systems, were still electro-mechanical in nature, controlled by miniaturized super-computers, conveniently located in the cranium, and powered by rechargeable batteries, with an approximately thirty-six hour life, before needing recharging.

By far the largest manufacturer of these intricate devices, was ‘Droids ‘R’ Us’, formally ‘U. S. Robotics’, and with the average price of a new android being somewhere around 100,000 U.S. credits, they were also one of the wealthiest.

Because of the high cost of these sophisticated mechanical beings, they tended to be mainly used in highly dangerous or contaminated environments, where it was virtually impossible to use human alternatives. Also, they were extensively employed in jobs involving extensive, or out-of-normal-hours working; or repetitive production line work, requiring high-speed dexterity. As a consequence, it was rare to see an android in a domestic situation, and despite their growing numbers, the vast majority of the populace had yet to lay their eyes on one, in the ‘flesh’, so to speak.

Whilst they looked very life-like, there was only a very limited number of ‘droid models available, so they often tended to look like identical twin brothers, or sisters, and they were usually built to appear to have a chronological age of about twenty to twenty-five years.

Androids were also really quite stupid, despite their super-computer central processing units! They were limited to fairly basic decision making, although reprogramming was fairly easy, just involving the replacement of one program disk with another! They were ideal for long, boring, repetitive tasks, where their human equivalent might tend to loose concentration, and let his or her mind wander, or grow physically exhausted.