The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

So Night Follows Day part 20

By T. MaskedWriter with Special Guest Author Susan Bailey

“If your mem’ry serves you well, you’ll remember that you’re the one
who called on me to call on them to get your favors done.
And after every plan had failed, and there was nothing more to tell.
You knew that we would meet again, if your mem’ry served you well.
This wheel’s on fire, it’s rolling down the road.
Best notify my next of kin. This wheel shall explode.”
—Bob Dylan, “This Wheel’s on Fire

How’s it going? Susan here. I don’t seem to be to most of the people with us right now.

We were finishing lunch at the most expensive restaurant in Seattle, where Contessa Helena de San Finzione paid for hers, mine, Julie’s, Mander’s, the paparazzi, and everyone else in the place’s lunch, as photographers jockeyed around her to find decent shots without me, Julie or Mander in them. Before we’d emerged from the limo, La Contessa had commanded them to ignore us and destroy any footage they got with any of the three of us at all in the shot. Since we were staying close to her, they had to work hard to get decent angles.

I usually only refer to Helen as “Helen,” but didn’t just now, because that wasn’t who had stepped out of the limo. She wasn’t Helen Parker, the woman I’d discussed intimate secrets with over plain old drip coffee with hazelnut creamer earlier this morning. This was the woman I’d seen on television for years before I met Troy and Julie; Contessa Helena de San Finzione.

Occasionally, I hear Helen say something she’d said in an interview in person, and get a little smile about it. But since our conversation during the thing in Uongo, I haven’t really thought of her as “The Lady From the TV,” until I realized that’s who I was seeing mugging for the cameras and acting like she was about to take a freakishly large bite of something, or tossing back another drink with wild abandon. Giving the tabloid photographers exactly what they wanted as a martini olive whoopsied its way into her cleavage and laughing it off with queenly disregard, as she plucked it out and ate it with a front-page-worthy smile.

When we returned to the limo, the rest of us entered before she did. La Contessa stopped and turned to the crowd of reporters. An Ultimado held an umbrella over her head as she told them to go ahead and look over what they’ve got to make sure there aren’t any Nobodies in any of the shots, delete any of those, send off the good stuff, and meet us at the mall next. She made a joke about several of the press corps seriously needing a wardrobe upgrade, suggested she might do something about that when we get there, and got into the limo.

As soon as the door was closed, La Contessa removed the sunglasses, took her cigarette out of the holder, and Helen flopped onto the back seat.

“THAT,” Helen panted, as she took the bottled water that Mander had already seen she needed and gotten from the fridge for her. “Was why I said we’d need a good lunch before we begin.”

Julie was checking the news on her iPad. She thumped it briefly, then got something.

“The tabloid sites wasted no time.” She reported. “The UK ones are the first to jump on it, like you said they’d be.”

“Fucking Almighty Athiesmo save the Queen.” Helen replied with a smile.

“There’s a clip of the olive thing, with the headline ‘Contessa Helena de San Finzione: Shaken Not Stirred.’ Troy’s going to want a shot of that. Oh, one about you buying them all lunch. ‘Contessa Helena de San Finzione to Press: Let You Eat Cake! Buys lunch for reporters and entire restaurant!’”

“Perfect.” Helen said, taking another drink. “My full name, cozying up to the press, AND them patting themselves on the back. Who’s not gonna hate that? Let’s keep that up at the mall; pick out a couple reporters and get them makeovers, buy them clothes, something.” She thought a second. “We should have grabbed one of the big luggage carts with the roll bar on it, back at the hotel. Is there a store that sells those? That should be our first stop.”

Reception in downtown Seattle seemed to be coming and going that day, but I was able to bring up Facebook and see various pro-and-anti Helen pages talking about the first stories coming in.

“One of the conspiracy groups,” I told Helen as I scrolled through mentions of her. “Is talking about how you have Dracula’s Coffin in your secret vault under the castle and that sleeping in it is your secret to eternal youth and beauty.”

Helen laughed pretty hard at that one.

“The nut who tipped me off about Whyte’s video. He was ten years older than me, and I was fucking with him; calling him ‘sonny’ and ‘boy.’ I figured he’d go report it back as ‘proof’ that I’ve got the Holy Grail in ‘the vault,’ but Dracula’s Coffin is even better!”

Facebook also had a little headline about phone and internet difficulties in Seattle, but when I went to check it, my connection dropped.

When we got to a light, Helen got up and sat next to me.

“How’re you doing, Susan?” She asked. “I know this has been a lot already, and it’s only going to get bigger as the day goes on.”

“I know it’s going to be weird at the mall.” I told her. “I know you won’t bat an eye at whatever I get. It’s only been since I moved in with Troy & Julie that I’ve really had ‘stuff,’ you know? The occasional nice thing I got for myself would vanish to the pawn shop whenever Chad was low on beer.”

“To be honest, it’s a little much for me sometimes, too. I still think of myself as the girl who, despite what Wade said when he was drunk, had to shoplift her school clothes or get hand-me-downs from Julie; which I was always grateful for, but they were her size, of course. If he ever remembered my birthday or Christmas, he’d steal me a Barbie. No Ken, no accessories, no car; just a Barbie he could stuff in his coat if the house he’d just robbed had any girls with dolls. I had eight Barbies, and nothing for them to play with but each other unless I took ’em over to Julie’s. I think it explains a lot about my sexuality.

“And Troy used to invest for me, too, but I tended to blow through it. Hey, I could always get more out of the next Eurotrash asshole. I’ve always thought of the money and everything that I have now as Vincenzo’s, rather than mine, so I don’t do a lot of these ‘shopping benders.’ And still, when I see something I really want, try to figure out how I can walk out of there with it before remembering that I can afford the entire store and The Thing takes all the sport out of it, anyway.”

I nodded.

“Maybe Whyte’s whole ‘Miss Helen Parker’ bit got to you a bit more than you want to admit.” I told her. “Not the way he’d hoped, but the dredging up your past could have taken a little nibble from your confidence back there.” I took her hand, and saw Julie smiling out of the corner of my eye. “He wanted you thinking about who you used to be, rather than who you are. Because he might’ve been a match for Helen Parker; but he knows he doesn’t stand a fucking chance against Contessa Helena de San Finzione.”

Helen hugged me.

“I really do think that supporting others might be your thing, Susan. Like how Troy can do miracles with money and if you put any artist’s tool in Julie’s hands, you’ll get back a masterpiece. When you’re helping someone, it seems you can do anything, too.”

I smiled at that. So did Julie. Mander was in Bodyguard Mode now, so his lips only curled a little.

“So, when we’re in there,” Helen told me. “And you see something you want, don’t hesitate. I know you probably feel weird taking my money, Susan; but remember, you’ll be helping me. Helping all of us. Whyte’s next step after outing me can only be making sure the world learns Troy & Julie’s names, and then we’ll have those reporters on your doorstep that none of us want. Unless we can make the public so tired of hearing about me by then, that they change the channel at the mention of my name.”

“Well,” I said with a smile. “I can think of some stuff I know Troy would like.”

Helen smiled, and we continued to the mall.

* * *

Troy Equals was alone in his kitchen, making himself a sandwich while Luc and Carlito discussed things on Skype, when his business line rang.

Troy had been investing for himself and others from an early age. While he was working on his doctorate in Economics, he’d come up with a side-business; helping people get out of debt and finding investment or savings plans that they could afford and stick to. Troy found workable plans, and Doing What They Do insured the customers would stick to them.

“Troy Equals Financial Planning.” He said, answering the phone. An unintended consequence of the last name that he and Julie had chosen was that it made for a good business name. Julie’s business was called “Julie Equals Graphic Design,” and both their customers often found it clever that “Equals” was the owner’s last name. It also gave them a natural excuse to help each other’s business by being able to work into the conversation that “my husband’s/wife’s business is called…” quite organically.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Equals.” The voice of Leonard Whyte CBE, said on the other end. “I hope it’s not bad form to call you on this line. I mean, you have it listed.”

“I suppose I can’t have a problem with that.” Troy replied, finishing making his sandwich. “If you’re looking for La Contessa, she’s out shopping right now. It’s quite literally ‘all over the news,’ and you can tell Helen and Rita apart, so I feel safe telling you.”

“That’s all right. I can see her on the TV just fine. No, I wanted to have a little chat with you. ‘Man-to-Man,’ as we used to say before everything became required by law to have a double-meaning.”

“So, this isn’t a formal business call, and I don’t have to address you as Commander Whyte or Mr. Whyte CBE?”

“I’ll let it slide this once.” Whyte replied.

Troy sat down on the couch and grabbed the remote to see if he could find Helen on TV.

“Are you calling to make me an offer, Mr. Whyte?” Troy asked. “Am I Helen’s Tom Hagen? Or is this my ‘I could use a man like you in my organization, Mr. Bond’ moment?”

Whyte’s response was a chuckle.

“Heh. No. I recall the name of your other business, Mr. Equals. I suspect you’d enjoy that far too much. Plus, you’re a very loyal grandson, so I’d have to be a fool to think YOU had a price I could meet. If I thought I could buy any of you, it’d be Mr. Clean’s Childhood Bully. Have you had fun looking over my finances, tracking down all my dirty dealings? You’re not downtown with La Contessa and her entourage; one of whom I presume is Mrs. Equals. No, you’re special. She’d keep you safe behind a desk, all on your own, following the money. You know you’re not ‘gathering evidence’ for her to take to the police, right? That she’s not looking to ‘build a case’ against me here.”

“Yeah, I figured that. Helen’s never been the ‘trust cops and judges to solve my problems’ type. She’s out to destroy you, so she’s got me finding every dirty little operation you’ve got a cut of, so she can shut it down. I’ve gotta tell you, Mr. Whyte, if you were a videogame boss? Hong Kong would be the glowing part of the flamethrower on your back that we should have been shooting at all this time.”

“And you have no issue being a party to that, Mr. Equals? You struck me as an ethical man; law-abiding citizen and all that. You know what she has planned for me, don’t you?”

“There are certain questions that I don’t ask Helen, sir. Like ‘Why did Wade start a race riot fifteen minutes after we left the prison,’ or ‘Why would you need to know how to launder an island?’ ‘What happened to Ramirez’s predecessor,’ or ‘Why is the music of Daftpunk outlawed in San Finzione?’ But once I knew who you were, ‘Why do you want my help destroying Leonard Whyte CBE financially’ wasn’t one I HAD to ask, sir. I also don’t intend to ask her about any other plans she has for you.”

“Well, you’ll make certain all of my money goes to worthy causes, I’m sure. Everything I’ve ever done, there’s some group opposed to it. Not going to keep any for yourself? Processing fees, and so on?”

“I’ve been meaning to ask you, Mr. Whyte, about the money thing: Are you coming on to me? I’m sure you’re thinking ‘he’s Greek, he’s probably down,’ and, well, yeah, I AM Greek; so of course, I’ve tried it once or twice. Turned out it wasn’t my thing, but you be you. I’m not going to tell someone else how to live. Well, except most people who call this number; but they’re generally asking me to do that.”

“Almost as much a pity as learning I’ve blown my shot with La Contessa.” Whyte replied.

“Well, you DID have her stabbed, sir. I am aware that is not sufficient reason for La Contessa to rule out a potential lover in and of itself; but neither of us has ‘evil’ listed as one of our turn-ons. Well, not ‘corporate evil,’ anyway.”

Troy found a channel reporting on Helen. There were a lot of close-ups of her with shopping bags, where Troy could see her mouth making the word “darling” repeatedly. The volume was muted, but the images on the screen looked like they should be accompanied by an 80s dance song with lots of keyboard; perhaps I’m Too Sexy. Occasionally, in a blur as Helen moved and the camera tried to find her again, Troy could make out a vague sub-blur that looked like one of the outfits that Julie and Susan had been wearing when they left. He didn’t see Mander, but figured that meant that he was doing his job.

“So, ya won’t talk ta Mikey for me, Tom?” Whyte replied. “Get me outta this, for old time’s sake? Eh, what does it matter? I’ve had a pretty fucking good run. Well, you’ve poked around by now, you know.”

Troy flipped through channels showing the same images of Helen’s shopping spree until he got to financial news. He got up to get some chips to go with his sandwich.

“I’m afraid you’ve caught me in the middle of something important, Mr. Whyte.” Troy said, as he thought about whether or not to grab a small bag of potato chips or cheese puffs. After some deliberation, he settled on the regular chips and reached for those. Then he saw the plain corn chips and thought that they also had their merits. The sandwich was a ham & cheese with mustard, it just needed a good salty crunch of some kind to go with it. “But I’ll be certain to give your words the consideration that they deserve.” Troy continued, as he thought how the corn chips were always the last ones in the big box, after all the good stuff was gone. Why not show the corn chips some love? They’re part of the team, too. Troy put the regular ones back, took the corn chips, and returned to the couch.

“So, when the time comes, you’re not going to be Mr. ‘No, Helen! If you kill him, you’ll be just as bad as him,’ then? I’ve got to say, that’s a bit unexpected.”

“Greeks write thousand-page epic poems about revenge, sir. That was never going to be me. Julie’s business number is listed, too. And the fact that you chose me to grace with this call means that you imagined I’d be the soft heart that you could get to. I get that you had to try. I know I’m not the first to say that San Finzione’s primary export is Fear of Helen.”

“Or perhaps, I was calling to say goodbye, Mr. Equals.” Whyte responded. “By the way, did you know that Whyte Electronics also makes military drones?”

There was the sound of an explosion.

* * *

“Yes, Mr. Whyte,” Troy continued, calmly opening Julie’s laptop. “Yes, I did. And did you know that my neighbors’ big satellite dish isn’t hooked up to their TV at all, but to a small SAM defense battery that Helen put in?” Two more explosions followed outside. “She’d said that a drone strike was ‘just the sort of thing a tech weenie who hides behind his phone like him might try.’ The woman really DOES try to think of everything. Why?” Troy asked, innocently. “Are you trying to blow up my house with drones, sir? That’s so cool! I’m probably missing a great show outside!”

Another explosion followed, then silence.

“I’m guessing Helen’s got far more little missiles than you have drones. They are surprisingly little missiles, too. Got to hold a disarmed one, they’re about as big as a deodorant stick. Neighbors probably think we’re setting off fireworks. I may have to talk to the police in a bit. So, you know, I guess that brings down my day a little. Excellent work there, sir.”

Troy entered his login and brought up his usual browser windows.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Mr. Whyte. I know you expected this conversation to be over by now. I’m kind of surprised you’ve been able to get a signal out of Seattle this long. With all the problems everyone’s been having today. You might not have noticed, though. I mean, you built them both, right?”

Whyte recalled Helen using those words last night and tried to think what their significance might be.

“I’m afraid you have me at a loss, Mr. Equals.”

“Funny you should say that, sir.” Troy replied. “Because loss is what it’s all about. Loss of signal. Practically nobody’s been able to stay on the phone more than a couple of minutes in Seattle all morning. Apparently, it’s from all these Whyte brand jammers going off in the city, disrupting the conference, and the lives of everyone within city limits. Not down here in Federal Way, of course. Have you been too busy with your little game with Helen to tune in to non-celebrity gossip news, sir?”

Troy could hear fumbling for something on the other end, followed by the sound of a television switching channels.

“Since they don’t really do that ‘for those who just tuned in’ thing like on TV, I’ll save you some time, Mr. Whyte.” Troy continued. “There’s this crazy hacker group operating out of Eastern Europe, somewhere on the Mediterranean; and they’ve put out a statement that they’re going to be protesting STRANGERS by disrupting communications with roving Whyte cell signal jammers around downtown Seattle. They were very specific about that brand name, sir. You got some good product placement out of it. I think they mentioned Whyte Telecom twelve times, and your own name seven times, as being the ones making it all possible. They’re not disrupting emergency or aircraft frequencies, but they’ve made certain to mention that there’s a button for that if they really wanted to.”

Troy heard sounds of Whyte sputtering on the other end of the line as he logged into his business pages.

“There’s no button like that on my jammers, Mr. Equals.”

“I know, but how quickly do you think the news will retract it after saying there is for the last two hours. You make it really hard for just anybody to go out and buy those jammers to see for themselves. Why, you practically have to be a government to get hold of one. Hey, you know what’s weird? I slept with someone who happens to BE a government last night!”

“I only fucked with the phones a little, Mr. Equals. What you’re doing is Domestic Terrorism.”

“Yeah, but it’s for a good cause, and my wife and I have somewhere to run if it becomes a problem. And I have to give Helen all the credit on this, sir. She thought it up on the way to meet you last night. She was talking to Mander about how you couldn’t disrupt all the phones in Seattle all week, just to fuck with her; but she realized SHE could certainly disrupt all the phones in Seattle, off and on for a day or so; just to fuck with YOU!”

Whyte saw his picture on the screen. Troy continued.

“And every mildly-inconvenienced soccer mom in the city who didn’t know the name Leonard Whyte CBE before, absolutely does now. I’m sure your board of directors might have said something, if you hadn’t been so hard to get hold of lately. Probably haven’t even checked your stocks on your phone, have you? You should, you’re one of the few people in Seattle who can right now. The hackers mentioned that certain privileged Whyte phone customers have a special upgrade to get around the jamming, so everyone’s rushing to their local Whyte Telecom stores, demanding the upgrade. I’m more concerned about them turning violent than I am about STRANGERS, personally.”

The two news stories they’d been watching collided, when the reporters following Helen around encountered the reporters at the mall who were covering the angry crowd outside the Whyte Telecom store. Troy’s television was on mute, but he could see Helen stop and talk to the crowd. They started cheering. Troy caught Julie and Susan trying to stay out of view of the new cameras as Helen led the crowd across the mall to the Apple store, holding up a black credit card in her hand triumphantly, like a bandleader’s baton. She even gave it a couple of twirls between her fingers.

“Man, I hope they’re stocked up on Emerald Green.” Troy said to nobody, before turning his attention back to the phone. “Speaking of stocks, I’ve got some to short, Mr. Whyte. I’ll let you guess which ones. I know you’re releasing some tape to the media to blackmail Helen this evening; however, that’s not going to matter to you. You’re going to be too broke to attend the Auction by then. Ta-ta, Mr. Whyte.”

Troy ended the call and went to his other work.

* * *

Hi, Susan back. Did you know that black credit cards were created in the 80s because there were rumors that the credit card companies had some kind of secret, invitation only, no-limit card for ultra-rich people like Helen, and the card companies decided it sounded like a good idea and went with it? That’s one of the things I’ve been learning today.

I’ve also learned that some high-end stores have “VIP sections” that you can’t get into unless you’re “Somebody.” Contessa Helena de San Finzione being “Somebody” and all, I’ve seen a few of those today too. You sit on couches and they bring you drinks. Then you tell them what you’re looking for, (Star Trek toys and action figures, to pick something entirely at random.) and they send people to go out into the aisles, deal with the proles and everything, get a selection, and bring them back to the lounge for your perusal. And sometimes, yes, they have special merchandise that’s only for sale in the VIP Lounge.

They also have people who’ll deliver those things to your house immediately, but Helen wasn’t having any of that. We had, as she suggested, stopped at a luggage store first thing and bought a big cart like the ones at the hotel. It was being piled up with bags and boxes from stores that rappers brag about shopping at.

As Helen had suggested, some of the paparazzi were getting new outfits and makeovers at the stores where we shopped. La Contessa made a show of looking over each one carefully for the cameras, like a fashion consultant examining “her latest work” from various distances and angles before proudly displaying her finished product. It was hard to get a decent signal (Helen had explained to me why by then.), but when I saw the pictures running with the headline “La Contess’ Dresses Press for Success,” I knew Helen’s plan was working. I know and care about the woman personally, and I want to punch her for that headline’s existence.

Troy sent me a text after Helen declared that she would buy the angry mob outside the Whyte Telecom store new iPhones, letting me know that Whyte had tried the drone strike idea that Helen had thought he might and that her preparations worked, and nothing was damaged. Also, since she was too busy “being on” to check her own messages, that Whyte Telecom shares were already dropping like a stone, but she’d caused a forty-point drop with that move alone.

I could see some of the reporters who’d been following us around since the restaurant start to tire. Many had already sent off their pictures, made their money for the day, but continued to swarm on after us as Helen refused to stop giving them more and more to work with. When it seemed like some of them were ready to call it a day, that’s when Helen would run into some parents with an adorable little girl and buy her a new dolly, or reward a nice cashier with a kiss and a thousand-dollar tip.

I’ve heard a story that Daniel Radcliffe wore the same outfit whenever he went out for an entire year to fuck with the paparazzi, because it made every picture of him look like it had been taken on the same occasion, making them worthless. Contessa Helena de San Finzione was doing the exact opposite, stopping every few stores to put together a new outfit (With some aid from her “Nobodies,” naturally.), just giving the photographers enough time to change their memory cards/email what they’ve got to their editors/do whatever it is photographers do that I have no clue about before it was time for her to dive into the sea of flashbulbs again. It was during one of those changes that I’d been able to relay Troy’s message.

“Lovely!” Helen said with a smile, after I read her that headline. “I’m gonna vomit from hearing it!” She grabbed a new top for her next look. “After this, we should head back to the hotel, catch dinner, let them go do their news thing. Whyte’s story will have hit by then, too, and we’ll be able to get an idea of what I’m up against.” She found a hat she liked. “And whether or not this has been enough, or I’ve got to do the next thing.”

She turned back to face her adoring public before I could ask what “the next thing” could be.