The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

THE STORM HUNTER

Chapter 10: The Memory Modulator: Good Girls Don’t Think

It was lunch and Megan sat all by herself. This was particularly unusual because she was normally with Vix, Mags, and Freddie. However, today was different. It was Valentines day, and Valentines day fell on a Friday this year, which meant that many of Megan’s classmates were making plans for a long, romantic weekend.

Everyone except Megan it seemed.

It wasn’t that Megan hadn’t drawn the attention of any of the guys in the school. On the contrary, her association with her friends had elevated her status in the social circles of her classmates. Lots of guys were interested in her, but she was only interested in one.

Jake was everything Megan had ever dreamed of. He was strong and athletic, handsome and charming, and he had a gentle soul underneath his mask of a jock. Megan knew all of this because she was his tutor. Jake wasn’t stupid, he just had a lot going on in his life and the extra help that Megan provided was helping him keep a steady 3.2 GPA. It wasn’t Megan’s 4.0 GPA, but he couldn’t be amazing at everything.

Unfortunately, Jake had yet to ask Megan out. In fact, he hardly seemed to display anything to her other than a friendly attitude. They were good friends, but Megan worried that meant she had been friendzoned. She was far too shy to ask Jake on her own, and far too nervous that he would laugh at her, or, worse, be freaked out and never talk to her again.

So Megan sat alone at lunch on Valentines day.

Megan scanned around the lunch room. Vix was sitting with her boyfriend, Brian, and his friends, along with a couple of her other classmates whose names were Susan and Mary. Brian and his friends were on the junior varsity team with Jake, but Jake wasn’t sitting with them. Mags sat with Jack, one of the school’s “rebel outcasts.” He didn’t seem to mind Mags’ popularity though, and the two of them sat alone at a table.

Freddie wasn’t anywhere to be seen, but that was hardly a surprise. She was a little something of a slut, she was probably off kissing her boyfriend, Megan couldn’t remember the latest one’s name, somewhere in a hallway or bathroom.

However, Megan’s true target presented himself on the far side of the cafeteria, near the exit. Sitting, also by himself, was Jake. He was eating quietly, looking, not around the cafeteria like Megan, but outside the window at the snow-laden ground. The past few storms had unleashed a torrent of snow, but there had been plenty of time to dig out. However, if one looked just the right way, the pathways of streets and sidewalks became invisible beneath the mounds of white powder.

Megan realized her eyes had been drawn to the snow as well and wrenched her gaze back to Jake. He looked so lonely. She felt that too, it pained her to see him like that. But he hadn’t expressed any interest in her, it didn’t seem right to Megan to be the one to reach out to him. She’d done her part, putting on the cutest outfits, mastering her makeup skills, she’d made the most of her time with him and Jake hadn’t responded. At all.

Thinking about her attempts only embarrassed Megan further. A recent memory trespassed on the landscape of her thoughts.

* * *

Megan had worked up the courage to ask Jake to do their tutoring somewhere other than the library or at her house in the living room. She’d suggested they meet at King’s Burgers, a popular spot among her classmates.

It wasn’t a date, of course. Megan had to keep reminding herself of that. She’d lugged her books along with her and, when she spotted Jake as she approached the fast food joint, she used quite possibly the lamest, dorkiest greeting ever.

“Ready to tackle some advanced algebra?”

Jake, for his part, humored her and smiled one of his smiles, “Sure am. And burgers. Lots of burgers.”

Megan returned Jake’s smile, not sure if she should laugh or not. Why was flirting so hard? She looked up at Jake, he was strong and handsome, she felt herself swimming in his eyes. He rarely looked away from her when they were together, but, after that, there was only a cliff. Jake didn’t flirt with her like other boys did, he didn’t stutter or seem nervous, he showed none of the obvious signs that Megan knew meant crush. And she was worried that her own displays were all-too obvious, which would have been fine if Jake had returned them back. Instead it was that cliff, and Megan stood on the edge, looking down at the rushing waves as they filled that imaginary cove.

* * *

They’d eaten together before. Why not now? Maybe, Megan thought, just maybe, he would realize the significance of the day and he would ask her out. All she had to do was get off her butt and make a move.

Of course, actually responding to that realization proved more difficult than the thought itself. Every fear and all of her anxieties rebelled against the idea, reminding Megan of all the things she could lose: Jake’s friendship; her status as one of the popular girls in school; everything would change regardless of what happened, the question was if it would change for the better, or if she would sink her ship on its maiden voyage.

No. The thought came pushing furiously through her worries.

On trembling legs, Megan slowly stood up, gathering her tray with both hands. It was like the first time she’d tried heels on all over again, except she had tried those on in her own room, without an audience to witness the slow, halting, self-conscious effort.

Somehow, she made it. Megan stood next to the table Jake was sitting at, though he was still gazing out of the window. Unsure of whether or not Jake knew she was there, Megan cleared her throat.

“Jake?”

His gaze was upon her almost immediately, the playful, laughing sparkle entering his beautiful eyes as he recognized her.

“Megan.” Jake replied, using just her name even though he knew she was ready to ask a question. If she wanted to ask, she would need to ask, not say his name.

“I was wondering- well... could I sit with you?” Megan’s voice shook slightly, but if Jake noticed, he didn’t show it.

Jake glanced at the clock and then back at Megan, “We’ve only got about 5 minutes left, but sure.”

Kicking at the leg of the chair across from him, Jake pulled out Megan’s chair for her in his own way. Megan could feel her heart twitch and fumble. It was no wonder that hearts were used as the symbol for love, even if science had revealed that the heart’s only true purpose was to pump the circulatory system. Her heart, Megan’s heart, recognized the boy across the table, the cute boy who, for the moment, didn’t take his eyes off of her.

Smiling gratefully at Jake, Megan set her tray down on the table and took a seat, fixing the skirt of her dress as she did so. It was an unconscious gesture, made second nature by the fact that she almost exclusively wore skirts and dresses. Megan didn’t have to look down to know whether or not she’d done it right, so, instead, she simply gazed at Jake in return. One good stare deserved another.

“Going to finish that slice of pizza? ’Cause, if not, I’ll gratefully accept the donation.” Jake grinned.

Megan had half a slice of pizza left, she’d finished her salad first, but, Friday being pizza day, she indulged a little.

“Oh, sure. I’m not that hungry anymore.” Megan answered with a smile, her stomach growled in protest at her lie, but, thankfully, Jake didn’t seem to hear it.

Instead, Jake reached over and snatched up the half-eaten slice and it disappeared in just a few mouthfuls. The amusement in his eyes was dancing now, as he stared at her. Megan felt a flush rising up in her cheeks and knew that she was blushing.

“So I guess us single people are gonna be left out this weekend.” Megan said at length. Jake, still chewing, appeared thoughtful for a moment, then nodded.

Swallowing the last bit of pizza, he answered, “Maybe, but we can still have fun if we choose.”

Here it comes. Megan thought. Jake was posed to ask her the question on which she had waited for years. Ever since Elementary school, when most kids were struggling to keep up with the curriculum, Megan was drawing Jake’s name in her notebooks and framing it with hearts.

“We’re still on for tutoring tonight? Your place?” Jake asked, oblivious to Megan’s inner turmoil, and her underlying anticipation.

The question certainly deflated Megan, she felt herself slump visibly in her seat. Jake’s eyes were curious now, a questioning look that Megan often saw during their tutoring sessions, usually when Megan posed a question to Jake and he had answered, growing silent while he waited to hear from Megan whether or not he was right.

“Actually...” Megan began, her heart now seemed to want to escape her chest, she could feel its furious beating. “I was hoping maybe... well- would you like to go out on a date?”

Megan squeaked the last words out, her inner conflict having slipped into a moment where half of her tried to rush the words so that she couldn’t change her mind half-way, and the other half of her tried to shut her up. If she hadn’t been blushing before, she certainly was now. Megan’s cheeks felt like they were radiating heat as she fought to keep Jake’s gaze within her own.

It was this bravery that allowed Megan to see the minute facial expressions that reflected his mental reaction. His eyes widened slightly, but he leaned forward instead of back. A softness crept into his gaze, the sort of serious and gentle touch that entered Jake’s eyes when he was about to say something meaningful.

“Yes.” Jake said, then paused for several moments before continuing, “to be honest, I didn’t believe you felt that way about me.”

Megan smiled wanly.

“Neither did I, but... I knew the only way I would know is if I asked.”

“Thank you.” Jake replied with sincerity, “so no books tonight. Just each other?”

Megan nodded, her smile brightening, even as her thoughts began to drift off in a fantasy of what the night would bring. She saw herself kissing Jake at the end of their date. She imagined the warmth and strength of his hand as he held hers. Somewhere a bell rang, but, the usually studious Megan didn’t care.

She had a date!

* * *

Dr. Meyers gazed at the monitor which played along Megan’s vivid dreams like a TV show or a movie. He could see more than just the interactions between Megan, Jake, and the “physical” world of the dream, however. He could see thoughts, emotions, even arousal.

He noted that so many of Megan’s other changes had altered this memory significantly. Yet, she was still the same bold, brave Megan that, while useful for life, wasn’t going to serve her well in his purposes for her.

Standing up, the doctor began to pace in his office, only glancing at the monitor every minute or so.

It was not only he that believed IQ-reduced, otherwise known as “lessened”, people were much more docile, easier to manage, and were at a much smaller chance of escaping. Plenty of evidence from numerous studies had supported all of those theories.

The disagreement with others in the Mentology community centered around whether or not being lessened was the best or only way to acquire those desirable ends. Some research had shown that, with specifically tailored environments and subjets, the submissive qualities usually desired could be achieved without any impact to one’s intelligence.

In fact, some research was showing that high-IQ individuals presented the very best submissives after certain mental tweaks if they were not natively so. Research carried out by a Dr. Brooks if he recalled correctly, it wasn’t something that bothered his memory often.

Dr. Meyers was “old school”, there were very few reasons for him to have or create a highly intelligent submissive companion. The market to which he sold never demanded such things. It was easier to do what he knew.

Megan would be lessened, and he would do it with the Memory Modulator.

The usual methods for lessening often centered around specific tissue destruction in the brain, or a hypnotic-induced compulsion to stop thinking so much. To write-in the loss of intelligence to Megan’s memories would take longer, and stood the risk of not applying properly, but offered Dr. Meyers the perfect subject for what he wanted: the girl next door; cute and shy; always believing that her destiny lay in the service of men.

The Memory Modulator had taken quite some time, with more effort on Dr. Meyers’ part than he would have admitted. Viewing and rewriting memories was a taxing process, only made easier by some of his specific inventions which communicated with the brain. The patents on those inventions had made Dr. Meyers obscenely wealthy. He didn’t have to capture and turn women for money anymore, he just enjoyed it.

Dr. Meyers returned to the monitor and began typing at the keyboard. It was time to finish Megan Summers. It was time to show Megan her whole new world.

* * *

It was lunch and Megan sat all by herself. Normally, she would sit with Vix, Mags, and Freddie, her absolute bestest friends. Today, however, her three friends all sat with their boyfriends. Valentines Day always made Megan feel sad. No matter how cute she looked, or how nice she was, no one had ever shown the slightest interest in wanting to be with her. And Valentines Day was on a Friday too! She would be all alone for the whole weekend.

It wasn’t that Megan hadn’t drawn attention from the guys in her class.

Even though she had never truly been in a dating relationship, Megan had “dated.” The problem was that, after one date, most guys seemed to lose even the small amount of interest in her that had driven them to ask her out in the first place.

If Megan had to pick out one reason why no one seemed to want to be with her, it would probably be the fact that she just wasn’t very smart.

Some of the smartest girls in the class weren’t dating either. There certainly seemed to be a point of “too smart”, but Megan was on the other end of the spectrum.

All of Megan’s classes were remedial, and she struggled to get Cs and Ds even then. Elementary school had been fine, but when she hit Middle school, Megan hit a wall. Everything was harder and, rather than rise to the challenge, she fell behind.

When it came time to choose between studying or spending time with her friends, Megan chose her friends. When she was supposed to be taking notes, Megan was drawing cute outfits instead. When Megan was taking a test, her thoughts often drifted to fantasies about becoming a glorious movie star, or perhaps a hit pop singer.

Homework was often replaced by pouring through magazines, gazing at the breathtaking women within, with their wide range of makeup, hair, styles, and clothing styles.

If she wasn’t thinking about those things, then Megan almost invariably thought of Jake. Even when she had gone out on a date with other boys, she found herself comparing them to Jake. Were they as strong as Jake? Were they as cute? Were they as smart?

Jake was perfect. However, he had also never asked her out. They had been friends since Elementary school, but had grown further apart as they became teenagers. Jake was busy with his sports, schoolwork, and other extra-curriculars like being class President.

However, Megan saw no reason why Jake wouldn’t look her way. She was one of, if not the, prettiest girls in the whole school. Sure, she wasn’t an academic scholar, but she was talented: taking dance, color-guard, cheerleading, and helping out in the local church youth group.

One thing did bind Jake to Megan though, he was her tutor.

It wasn’t anything official, Jake wasn’t valedictorian material, but Megan’s parents had asked him if he could spare some time for her. They knew of Megan and Jake’s long-running friendship, and felt that Megan would be more likely to attend tutoring if it was with someone she knew and liked.

They were right.

Megan looked forward to every tutoring session, even if she often left with her brain hurting. Jake was gentle and kind, he never made fun of her for her mistakes, and he always did his best to help her without doing everything for her. When she was with Jake, Megan felt a lot smarter. Even if that smartness was attached to a reliance on Jake, it still felt wonderful.

Finishing off her slice of pizza, one only, the cafeteria always gave two, but Megan had to watch her figure, she looked around the cafeteria. It was a casual scan, she noted Vix and Mags, and also noted that Freddie was missing. Megan’s lips quirked into a small smile as she thought about what Freddie was likely up to.

The real target of Megan’s scan was found sitting across the room, by the windows and cafeteria exits. He gazed out at the mounds of freshly fallen snow that had covered their town. It was sort of magical, but Megan was gazing at Jake, not the snow.

As Megan gazed at the boy she so often dreamt about, a memory, a day-dream, barged in and swept across her thoughts.

* * *

Jake had suggested that they change up their tutoring routine by going somewhere other than the library or one of their houses. So, he and Megan met at King’s Burgers, a popular spot among her classmates.

It wasn’t a date, or, at least, Jake had never said it was. Nevertheless, Megan had framed it in her mind that way. Jake was giving her a chance to show why he should be interested in her. Megan took it to heart.

She had spent so much time getting her look “just right” that she was almost late. In fact, she had forgotten her study materials, which made her just an extra minute or two late, though Jake didn’t seem bothered.

Megan had gone for the “girl next door” look that worked so well for her. She was cute as opposed to gorgeous, she was charming rather than sexy. Megan had styled her hair into a braid that circled the crown of her head before falling and disappearing into the cascading locks of her waist-long auburn hair.

Her makeup was light and subtle, this was, after all, a casual encounter. Some earth-toned eyeshadow to complement her eyes, and pink lip gloss, which helped her lips to “pop” from her otherwise pale features. She wore a simple, short-sleeved white blouse with a modest neckline that clung loosely around her blossoming chest, a fact of which she was quite proud. The blouse gave way to a pale pink skirt which with a distinctive a-line shape, with the skirt flaring out as a result of a layer of chiffon underneath, and the hem of which fell just at her knees.

When Megan walked into the restaurant, several of the occupants swung their gaze to look at her, and lingered as she walked down the aisle to where Jake sat in the corner, oblivious. Jake was looking at a menu, which is why, Megan assumed, he hadn’t seen her.

As she approached, Megan decided, at the last moment, that she wanted to announce herself to Jake in a distinctive way. She wasn’t going to be boring, old Megan tonight. She needed Jake to recognize her, to see her, to want her like she wanted him.

At a loss for what to say, Megan settled on something similar. Drawing up to the table, Megan placed her hand on it, crossing her legs at the ankles as she gave a soft giggle.

The sound of Megan’s soft laughter was more than enough to gain Jake’s attention. He put down the menu and gazed up at her for several silent seconds in a sort of awe.

“... Megan?” Jake asked, after what felt like forever.

“Oh, come on now.” Megan pouted playfully, “you think I’m pretty, right?”

“Yeah.” Jake responded reflexively, “of course you are.”

Megan beamed at him, putting her books down on the table next to his as she settled in to the booth and crossed her legs. The tutoring was a wash. For his part, Jake made an honest effort to return to the topics they were studying. However, Megan did her best to distract him by using all of the tips in the magazines she read. She batted her eyes, leaned in, and made casual remarks about stuff she knew Jaked like, such as football.

They didn’t get much studying done, but Megan left feeling on cloud nine.

* * *

But right now, Megan’s feelings mirrored the gray sky outside. Jake was sitting there alone. She was sitting there alone. Jake had never asked Megan out as she had hoped, as she had dreamed. For the first time, Megan had to think about the possibility that Jake would only ever see her as a friend.

It would cheer Megan up to sit with Jake. Since she was usually with her besties, Megan rarely got the chance to sit with him at lunch anymore. She used to sit with him every day in Elementary school, but, by the time Middle school rolled around, Jake had started to sit with his jock friends. Now, in High School, there simply never seemed to be a convenient excuse to sit with him.

She hoped that Jake would be cheered up to.

Megan hesitated slightly before getting up. She knew that he wouldn’t say no to her sitting with him. What she was more afraid of was that it would get awkward. What would they talk about? How could she find a way to flirt with him, without it being too obvious. She didn’t want to come off as desperate and needy.

The memory of their time at King’s Burgers was still lingering in her memory, however. They had talked plenty then. Well, Jake had done a lot of talking, but Megan had kept him going, giggling at his jokes, praising his talents as he talked about his sports achievements, and smiling while she listened as he told her stories of things that happened recently.

If Megan could rely on Jake to talk, she would be fine. Trying to think of things to say would just give her a headache, and they had a narrow window of opportunity. As she glanced at the clock, Megan realized she had only a little more than five minutes to finish lunch.

The deadline seemed to rush forward and drove Megan into action. She picked up what remained of her food, just a crust from the second slice of pizza, and walked over to where Jake sat.

“Can I sit here?” Megan asked in her soft, distinctive voice.

Jake turned from the snow to gaze at Megan and began to smile as recognition entered his own eyes.

“Of course!” He responded, with perhaps a touch too much enthusiasm.

The enthusiasm was just fine for Megan. It indicated to her that he might still be interested in her. She just had to continue to make a good impression. Megan sat down next to Jake and crossed her legs as she fixed her skirt. It gave her an excuse to glance down, as she wasn’t quite ready to meet Jake’s gaze yet.

Finally, however, the time came. Jake was smiling as he looked at her, it was as if the snow had been forgotten.

“It’s been awhile.” Jake said. “I mean this- lunch...” He corrected himself, they still spent plenty of time together thanks to the tutoring.

“Too long.” Megan responded, biting down on her bottom lip.

“Why did we stop?” Jake asked, his brow furrowing as he considered.

“Umm, well... you got busy and I got busy and we have new friends.”

Jake nodded at Megan’s response, “yes, I suppose that’s true. Speaking of which, where’s the rest of the dream team?”

Megan wasn’t expecting questions about her friends, she blinked and fought the urge to lower her gaze as she tried to marshal her sluggish thoughts into a coherent answer. Eventually the urge won out and Megan’s gaze dropped to her lap.

“Well, they all have- .... they’ve got boyfriends, and—” Megan could feel the burning flush of embarrassment, but continued until Jake stepped in.

“... It’s Valentines day, yeah.” He said, finishing her sentence for her. She loved when he did that.

Megan nodded.

“Are we still doing tutoring tonight?” Megan asked as she tucked some hair behind her ear.

“Of course, unless you wanted to do something else?”

“Oh, no, no. Just wanted to be sure- if you had a date...”

Jake grinned at her, “if I had a date, you’d know it. We might not sit together at lunch anymore, but you’re still my best friend.”

Megan’s heart leapt at the response. She could feel the tension giving way as a comfortable feeling of relaxation replaced it. Jake still considered her his best friend. But did that mean he was interested in her?

The dilemma between what Jake’s words meant occupied Megan’s thoughts. She almost didn’t hear him as he continued speaking.

“You know, I mean- if you were up to it...”

The thought that Megan had been chasing flitted away. It happened a lot, but Megan didn’t let it worry her. She was well-aware of how clueless she could be. At the very least, she had something well worth the distraction.

Jake gazed at Megan with a quiet intensity, like an alpha wolf trying to seduce a mate. There was something sparking between them, she could feel it in the goosebumps that crawled across her skin. Megan felt an overwhelming feeling of what she assumed was love, washing over her.

“Maybe we could go on a date tonight. A break from studying.” Jake grinned, but Megan could see the question in his eyes. He couldn’t hide, nor did he try in that singular moment, his feelings for her. Jake was afraid that she would reject him.

Instead, Megan said yes. It was difficult to contain her excitement, but she did her best, not wanting to embarrass herself in front of all her classmates. She settled, instead, for beaming a bright smile at Jake, and scooting just a bit closer.

It didn’t matter to Jake that she wasn’t smart. She was pretty and good and kind, and if that was enough for him, it was enough for her.

## Epilogue: After the Storm

June 23rd, 1998

Dr. Meyers sat in his chair, his control chair. He’d become semi-retired from his clinical work. In fact, Megan Summers had been one of his final clients, and she no longer needed those services. Further, his storm hunting had become a bit of a hobby, the royalties from his patents had amassed enough wealth for him to invest it, and to live off of those investments.

However, he was in the control chair because he had some work to do. Well, not work... it was difficult to call it work when he enjoyed it so much. On a panel, he watched a girl squirm. She was truly delicious, with mocha skin, deep soulful eyes, and her hair was arranged in tight, neat corn rows. Her best assets were her chest and her rear. She had a nearly perfect hourglass shape. She was a bit bottom-heavy, but it would be easy enough to up her chest size a cup or two.

“Master Meyers, sir?” A soft voice interrupted his thoughtful gaze upon his newest victim.

Megan Summers stood in the doorway, today wearing a succulent french maid’s outfit that bordered on obscene. It was custom-tailored, he could afford such things now, so that the outfit hugged Megan’s body in just the right ways, while managing to feature enough skirt and neckline to keep her at least somewhat modest.

Some days, Megan would be dressed as a housewife, or a whore, or a schoolgirl. It really didn’t matter to her, all she wanted to do was serve the big, brave man who had saved her.

* * *

Jake had been Megan’s whole life. He was smart, handsome, kind, and he absolutely adored her. Then he had been diagnosed with cancer. Megan stayed by him both out of her devotion, but also because she didn’t know what she would do when her devotion to Jake was no longer needed.

When Jake had passed, Megan had sunk into a deep depression, become addicted to alcohol and drugs. She was barely keeping things steady, until she met Dr. Meyers. He was only her therapist, at first. Over time, however, he had become more. Megan had found herself feeling about him the way she felt about Jake. True, he was older and less athletic than Jake had been in his prime, but he was kind, fatherly, and really smart.

A casual remark at the end of a session spun everything into motion, or so it seemed. Megan chose to believe it was fate. Dr. Meyers had asked her, as she left, why she hadn’t mentioned any new boyfriends or romantic partners. It was something he had pursued early on in her therapy, encouraging her to search for the opportunity when the time was right, and then he’d dropped it. It had been months since he’d last mentioned any thought of it.

* * *

“I’ve noticed you haven’t asked me anything about rebound relationships, or any concerns with dating or similar activities.” Dr. Meyers began, “are you still lonely?”

“Yes- I...” Megan stumbled to find the right words. What could she say that didn’t make her sound like a useless waif? “I haven’t really been thinking about anyone.”

That was stupid. She’d been thinking about Dr. Meyers, but how could Megan admit that? It would ruin their professional relationship, she’d have to see someone else and he would be gone from her life forever...

“No one?” Dr. Meyers offered Megan a slightly amused smile, “I may be good at what I do, but I know when I see certain signs. You’ve been getting better, and not entirely because of me. You’re thinking about someone.”

The way in which Megan blushed was so obvious that she felt as though she might as well have turned on a spotlight and flashing neon signs pointing toward her. Of course she had been thinking of someone. Him. Dr. Meyers, how did she answer his question without revealing her secret?

“You needn’t answer the question if you aren’t comfortable, dear.” Dr. Meyers said in that relaxing voice of his, “but I am ethically bound to keep what we share in our meetings confidential.” He quirked a grin at her.

Megan melted. His grin was adorable, so much of who Dr. Meyers was to her was adorable. He wasn’t Jake, but he didn’t need to be. He was Dr. Meyers, a man who had scooped her up out of her own iniquity and put her back on a pedastel. Megan knew she didn’t have the brains or skills to make it on her own, it was part of the reason she had turned to drugs and alcohol, a part of her vainly hoped she would die young and pretty. It was one of the few things in life she could lay claim to, her attractiveness.

“I- well- it’s complicated.” Megan said, at length.

Dr. Meyers nodded, still giving off an aura of sagicity as he often did, “so much of why people like you need people like me is because of how complicated life can be. Sometimes we just need someone to show us a simpler way.”

It was difficult for Megan to argue with that assertion. In the back of her mind, somewhere, she knew that smart people got therapy too, but there were lots of meanings for complex and simple, and she was sure he was using them in a way that she was simply struggling to understand. It was simpler to giggle and smile.

“I like that,” Dr. Meyers added, “your laugh, when we first started talking you rarely smiled, let alone laughed.”

That was true, but Megan had little to smile or laugh about then. She’d lost her job, her friends, Jake was dead. The entire purpose of life seemed to fade out from beneath her, leaving a gaping hole where she had thought rock-bottom ought to be.

That had changed with Dr. Meyers. It wasn’t just that his suggestions and approaches to solving her complex emotional needs were effective, it was also because of how friendly he had been, because of how he made her feel. The idea of moving on after Jake was more of a reality now that she had developed feelings for another.

“I like it when you’re funny,” Megan replied, shyly. Coyness was difficult, but it was still one of her most effective tools. Intelligent men like Dr. Meyers often saw through it, nevertheless, it was difficult for them to resist the power of a compliment. As Dr. Meyers had once said, ‘flattering a man is the path to his heart, not edible goods.’ Megan had giggled then, but she’d also grown thoughtful. Those thoughts came and went at different frequencies and paces the past couple of weeks.

It was difficult for Megan to rely on thinking too much at once, it tended to make her thoughts grow fuzzy and her head to hurt. Megan wasn’t an idiot, but most things didn’t require as much thinking as feelings and beliefs did.

Dr. Meyers smiled at her. “That’s kind of you.”

“I mean it—” Megan began, then paused, frantic, what if he figured out what she meant? Would he wait for the session to be over and then leave a voicemail instructing her to contact a different therapist? She had to think of something quick, “It’s true... I’ve been think- no, that’s not right.”

The expression on Dr. Meyers’ face changed from amused to bemused, which told Megan she wasn’t making much since. She slowed herself down, and let the words come out as they came, rather than thinking through them.

“I like you, Dr. Meyers, and not just because you saved me. But because... well- .... you’re smart and handsome and funny...”

The bemusement on Dr. Meyers’ face faded. It transitioned to a look of shock and surprise, to be quickly replaced by that kind, almost-fatherly gaze that Megan associated with him. There was a knowing look in his eye, the look that suggested to Megan that he could read her mind. Goosebumps crawled along her flesh, but she also felt some heat from down below.

“Thank you,” Dr. Meyers said, after a short pause.

Megan’s brow furrowed. Was he thanking her for her compliment, or was it something else? The way in which he said thank you wasn’t quite what she would have expected. It didn’t seem to be a thank you for the compliments, the way his eyes looked at her for such things was... different than how he was looking at her now. Dr. Meyers’ eyes seemed longing, bearing his unspoken feelings for even someone like Megan to see.

“You—” But Megan couldn’t quite finish the sentence, she was struggling to grasp at her realization, a large part of her unconscious self told her she was being stupid, thinking of things that weren’t true, as she so often did in her daydreams. But Jake hadn’t been a daydream, she had been right.

“Why don’t we go out for lunch?” Dr. Meyers said with a smile.

* * *

It didn’t take long for the lunch to become a jumping off point for a date. And it didn’t take long for the date to get into a serious relationship. For as long as it took for Megan to finally be with Jake, the amount of time it took for her to be with Dr. Meyers was exactly the opposite.

Megan’s feelings about Dr. Meyers were different than her feelings for Jake. Yes, she had sex with him, lots of amazing sex, and, at this point, only a few months in, she had more sex with Dr. Meyers than she had in years with Jake. But Jake was a boyfriend and Dr. Meyers... well, he was Master Meyers. When he offered her the slave contract, it was as sweet and exciting as when Jake proposed to her. To be so desired, so loved...

Things were perfect for Megan, and they always would be.