The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Veiled Threats

by J. Darksong

13.)

Eugene Frasier stared long and hard at the small glass vial in his hands. As always, staring into it took him back to his childhood, and regret struck him suddenly, like a blow to the head. He sighed deeply, shaking his head. He placed the vial back on the table once more, but continued to stare at it. I’m doing the right thing, he told himself again. It’s what Malcolm would have wanted...

“Is that it?” Veronica asked, stepping into the room. She walked up next to the older man, and peered down at the glass container. “Is that what you intend to inject into Parker’s brain?”

“Aye,” Gene said softly, not bothering to look up. “I’m pretty sure this will give him back what he lost.”

“Really?” Roni said dubiously. She leaned forward, starting. “It just looks like... a few drops of mercury. Are you sure that... stuff... can help him?”

“Aye,” Gene said, turning away. He walked across his study to his computer, and scrolled down through the images. “That ‘stuff’ as ye call it is the culmination of more than twenty years of hard work and painstaking research.” He pointed the display, which showed a microscope view of a silver drop. “Nanomachines, lass. Hundreds of thousands of tiny little machines, carefully crafted and engineered. Not only can they repair cellular damage, they can also substitute for damaged nerve clusters, acting as tiny electrical signal relays. The problem with Parker is that the chunk of brain matter destroyed when he was shot a few years ago is the part of his brain that controls and manipulates his power. Brain and nerve tissue cannot be regrown once destroyed, but my wee nanobots can replace that damaged section, and reconfigure themselves to act as a functional substitute.”

“Wow,” Roni said, somewhat awestruck. “That... that’s incredible! Totally incredible! You could completely revolutionize the medical and health care industries with that! It could make you rich...” she said, glancing around the handsomely decorated office, “...or, I suppose, richer. When do you plan to unveil your discovery?”

“Never.”

That caught her by surprise. “But... why not? I mean, even if you don’t care about the financial aspects—”

“It’s not the money, lass. As ye already ken, money is not a problem for me. This wee vial contains a lot of potential... the potential to heal as well as the potential to destroy. In the right hands these wee buggers could be a panacea, a cure for virually any disease that exists right now... or, in the wrong hands, it could be more dangerous that the worst plague in history!”

Gene sighed heavily. “Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, there was a small family living in the city of Inverness. There were three brothers in this family, the oldest named Duncan, the youngest, named Malcolm, and the middle child, named Eugene.” He smiled sadly. “They were a rather close knit family, very loving and supportive of each other. There was nothing the brothers wouldn’t do for one another. They were poor, but aye, they were happy. The father and mother worked hard to provide for their children, in the hopes that they would one day grow up to a better life that the one they’d been raised in.

“Then, one day, around Duncan’s seventh birthday, they learned that the three boys were extremely gifted. The eldest son seemed to have an affinity to wildlife, flora and fauna. Anything dealing with biology struck his interest, and at seven he showed an aptitude that rivaled any college level student. The youngest son, Malcolm, seemed to have a talent for medicine. Physiology and anatomy were his areas of interest, and his knowledge of herb lore was unsurpassed within the entire Highlands.”

Roni nodded softly. “And let me guess. The middle child, he showed an aptitude for machines and electronics?”

“Aye. That I did. I wouldnae rate myself a genius like my brothers, mind. I was mostly driven by an insatiable curiosity to know how things worked, to try and understand things the way my brothers seemed to. I was certainly the least gifted of us, though I will admit to being the most persistent. Things didn’t come naturally to me, so I had to study and work hard.” He shrugged. “Still, the path ye take to yer destination doesnae matter, as long as ye finally arrive.”

“Okay. So... what happened?”

Gene seemed to deflate. “I suppose you could say, it was bad luck. Or fate. Mayhaps destiny keeps a tally of things, and likes to even the score in ways ye never imagine. At any rate, my younger brother became very sick around his fourteenth birthday. Bone cancer, the doctors told us. Five years, he said, if he was lucky.” He stared down at his hands. “You can’t imagine the way that feels, to know that the person you love, the one you grew up with, your flesh and blood, is about to die, and you’re unable to do a thing about it.”

“I know,” Roni said softly, reaching out to touch his hand. “Believe me, Gene. I know what that feels like.”

“Yes... well, in our case, we boys decided to try something. Duncan was eighteen at the time, and attending the University, and I was sixteen, about to start my senior year of high school. We had a wealth of knowledge at our fingertips, and the motivation, drive, and creativity to put it to good use. Malcolm came up with the idea, really... to pool all of our talents and specialties into the creation of the nanomachines. Think about it: machines built from biological material, specially crafted and coded to our DNA, programmed with the medical data and programming to repair and replace the cancerous cells. Three young men, the oldest, a college freshman who’d just turned eighteen the week before, but none of us willing to give up.” He shook his head. “And maybe, in retrospect, that was part of the problem...”

Roni waited for him to continue. Finally, she said, “You almost make it sound as if being determined to save your brother at any cost was a bad thing. There has to be more to the story that this.”

“It was Duncan,” Gene said after another long pause. “We’d never known just how far he’d taken his research in biology, or how he’d come up with all of his insights, One night, a couple of policemen showed up at our door, looking for him. It seems several of Duncan’s friends and colleagues at the college had gone missing. They’d suspected foul play, they said, but they had no proof and no leads... until just recently. A young girl named Shelley had been found, washed up off the banks of Loch Ness, her body mutilated. I won’t bother you with the gory details, but mention was made the precision of the cuts, as if she were a test specimen being vivisectioned. Everyone in the area knew about Malcolm, knew about our research. Since Shelley was last seen in Duncan’s company, it hadn’t taken them long to make their way to our home. As for Duncan... I’d lived with the lad all of my life. We’d joked, we’d fought, and I’d seen him at his highest highs and his lowest lows. But as the officer’s led him away in handcuffs, I saw an expression on his face I’d never seen before, ever. It was the look of a cold, calculating, and emotionless man. And that’s when I knew that he’d done everything the police had accused him of and more.

“Unfortunately, I was the only one who’d noticed. Duncan was definitely the smartest of us, and despite all the suspicion towards him, the police simply had no proof that he done anything. No blood, no fingerprints, no DNA... not even a strand of hair linking him to the victims. Eventually, he was released, and we continued our work on the project, but the relationship between us was strained. I never came right out and accused him, but he could tell that I knew.” He paused again for a long moment. “Despite everything, I loved my older brother. I would never betray him, never give him up. I was wary around him, aye, but I never for a moment actually thought he try to do me harm. Then, about two and a half years later, after we’d had our first real solid breakthrough, he and I went out to obtain some more supplies. He stopped walking when we reached the corner of the intersection, and he told me... he told me that sometimes sacrifices needed to be made. That sometimes, those who were truly great were called upon to make hard decisions, that those less gifted sometimes needed to be cut down so that those more gifted could rise. And then he pushed me.”

“Pushed you? What do you mean, he pushed you?”

“Into traffic.” Gene shuddered slightly. “It’s interesting, the things a person remembers. I don’t remember much about that day, about what we’d had for breakfast, or what time we’d left home. I don’t even recall what day of the week it was. But I remember every second of the accident. I remember the sound of the horn blaring from the white and blue semi barreling down on me. I remember the squeal of his tires against the pavement as he tried in vain to stop the truck. I still remember the bone-jarring impact when I collided with the front fender, the way the world seemed to spin like a top as I was knocked, spinning, off my feet. I remember the intense pressure of the wheels, pinning me down, crushing my spine and my legs as they rolled over me, and the scrape of the low riding axles as they shredded my shift and my flesh. I remember the sharp smell and taste of copper, and the realization that I was tasting my own blood in my mouth. I even still remember the license plate on the back bumper of the truck as it finally cleared my body.” He frowned. “The one thing I’d expected to fell, pain, I don’t remember at all. Maybe it happened so fast that I didn’t have time to register it before my spine snapped. Or maybe with everything else I just blocked it all out. I don’t know. All I know is the next thing I remember was my mother’s face crying as she peered down at me from my hospital bed.”

Veronica felt pole-axed. Eugene Frasier was, by nature, rather close-mouthed about his past, and about his childhood. In all the time they’d worked and fought together, she’d never had the slightest inkling that he carried something like this skeleton in his closet. She stood there for several long moments, completely at a loss as to what to say. Fortunately, Gene solved her dilemma by continuing the story.

“I was pretty much like Steven Hawkins. I was basically paralyzed from the neck down, though I did have some small movement in my left hand. My ability to talk was likewise affected, meaning that I was unable to let anyone know the truth about my so-called accident. And Duncan played the concerned older brother to the hilt, taking care of me, making sure I received my medications... he even fed me. Yes, he played his part to the hilt.” He growled, hands clenching into fists. “In the meantime, Malcolm’s decline was advancing into the final stages. Standard medicine hadn’t helped, and it looked like the nanomachines we’d nearly perfected would be his only chance. But Duncan’s duplicity knew no bounds; he confided in me one night when we were alone, that Malcolm wouldn’t be receiving the finished nanos, that he intended to let Malcolm die, then present the finished work to the University as his own work, and maybe get the Nobel Prize. I was torn up inside... furious at Duncan, and despair for poor Malcolm. And with no way to warn him, it seemed all was lost.”

“So, how did you stop him?” When Gene looked up, she smirked. “Obviously, you found a way to stop him and save your younger brother. And you obviously perfected them, else you wouldn’t be walking and talking yourself.”

“Sorry, lass. Yer only half right. Duncan and Malcolm did, finally, perfect the nanomachines. Everyone was so excited when the last test confirmed their viability. Duncan insisted that we celebrate, and had mom and dad go alert the neighbors, to be there for the momentous occasion. Once they were gone, he planned to switch the vial of nanomachines with a vial of pure mercury.” A sad smile creased his lips. “But when Duncan didn’t know, what he’d never even considered, was Malcolm’s good heart. He switched the vials himself, preparing a hypodermic needle with the nanomachines that he himself had preset. While Duncan was distracted, he came up to me, and held up the needle. ‘It’s for you, big brother,’ he said weakly, sliding the needle into my arm. ‘My life is over. I can accept that. I’m prepared for it. But you weren’t struck down by a disease. You were crippled by an accident, a cruel twist of fate. You dinnae deserve to live this way, brother. And as long as I live and breathe, you willane have to’.

“Duncan took that moment to notice what was happening. ‘What are ye doing?’ he screamed, shoving Malcolm aside. He grabbed at the needle, but it was empty, the nanobots already circulating through my body. ‘What have ye done?’ he yelled, stalking towards his younger brother, rage in his eyes. ‘Do ye realize what ye’ve done?!? All that hard work, all that research, for nothing?!?’ He grabbed Malcolm up by his neck, squeezing... and I sat there, unable to move, unable to help, unable to do anything. Duncan had lost his cool, had been betrayed by his temper, and by the time he realized what he had done, it was too late. My parents returned just then, just in time to see him there, in shock, holding Malcolm’s lifeless body by the neck.”

Gene sighed, holding the vial up again, peering at it. “The trial destroyed my mother. She’d lost two of her sons, Malcolm to the Duncan’s rage, and Duncan to the Justice System. As for me... the nanomachines did their job, slowly but surely rebuilding the neural pathways long my severed spine. Within two weeks, I had full feeling in my limbs again. Within a month, I was able to stand up for the first time. And by the time Duncan was sentenced, I was back to my normal self again. I left home soon after, got a scholarship to Oxford, got my degree, then came stateside to the Americas where I went to MIT.” He shrugged. “The rest you already know. In the meantime, I’ve been recreating our research to produce working nanomachines again. This,” he said, holding up the vial, “is the end result.”

“Wait a moment,” Roni protested, shaking her head. “I don’t understand. I thought you’d already recreated your nanomachine technology. Isn’t the skin suit armor you sometimes wear MADE from nanomachines?”

“Oh, those? They are... I guess you could call them a cheap ‘knock-off’ version of the real ones. The original ones, like these in this vial, are organic in nature. The silver sheen comes from the iron and silicon molecules bonded to the genetic code, to promote energy transfer, but the base structure is completely organic, to keep the body from rejecting them. The nanos that make up my emergency skin suit are completely inorganic metal. Since it stays outside my body, there’s no reason to go through the long tedious task of making sure my cells won’t reject it.”

“I see.” Roni replied as the door opened. “So... what happened to your brother? Was he given life in prison?”

“No, just the opposite,” Gene said calmly. “He was executed. He was found guilty of murder, and attempted murder. It’s not really surprising that he’d earn such a sentence. It’s part of the reason why I left Scotland. It was my testimony that sealed his fate... and despite all that he’d done, he was still my brother. I couldn’t bear to see the pain and despair in my parents face...” He gestured to the newcomer. “So, lad, are ye ready for the infusion?”

Parker frowned, rubbing the side of his head. “Um... I guess so. I’m, uh, not a big fan of needles, yanno. Is it, um... gonna hurt?”

Gene chuckled, filling the hypodermic needle. “I won’t lie to ye, lad. It hurts like the blazes of Hell itself!” Before Parker could comment, he jabbed the needle into the soft spot behind the boy’s ear, and pressed down on the plunger before deftly removing the needle. “Luckily for us, yer a big tough guy. Ye can take it.”

“Owww!” Parker scowled, rubbing at the spot behind his ear. “Hey, you could have warned me it was coming, yanno. I...” His eyes widened, and his jaw dropped, locked in an ‘O’ shape. “Ohhhhh shhiiiitttttt!!” he panted, eyes bulging. “FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKTHATSHITBUUUURRRRRNNNNSSSSS!” he screamed, rubbing at the sides of his neck. “What the HELL did you make these things out of, SULFURIC ACID?!? Fuck!! It feels like it’s working its way through my blood vessels, and burning up everything in their path!!”

“Not quite,” Gene said, amusement evident on his face. “The nanomachines are merely exciting the nerve centers at your spine and brain stem as they make their way through your body to their preprogrammed destination. The sensations could have been anything from a slight tickle to a relentless itching... guess it was just your luck that you’re experiencing burning pain.”

“Yeah? And. How. Long. Does. This. Last?” He growled through gritted teeth, causing Veronica to break out in giggles.

“Oh, not verra long,” Eugene drawled, obviously enjoying the boy’s discomfort. “Personal experience tells me it should pass in another minute or so, probably sooner, as your current state seems to have your pulse racing. Once they reach the damaged part of your brain, it should end, as they focus on bridging the gaps in your neural network. By the by, it’s been a while since your accident. Just like any other invalid, you’re going to need ‘physical therapy’ of a sort before you’re back to full strength again. You’re going to have to retrain your body and your brain to use your powers again. And in that, laddie, yer on your own. You know best how your powers work, so only you will know how best to practice with them.”

“Oh geez, oh geez... whew... okay... okay... pain’s starting to fade now...” Parker panted heavily, leaning against the counter for support. “Okay... I think... I finally got a handle... on this...” He sighed deeply. “So, Professor, is there anything ELSE I should know that you may have FORGOTTEN to tell me ahead of time? Do I need to take any special precautions, like avoiding huge magnets, or standing too close to the microwave?”

“Hmmm,” Gene pretended to consider. “Well, obviously, getting struck by lightning or being repeatedly blasted by microwave or infrared energy sources would have a negative effect on them. But frankly, lad, anything bad enough to cause serious problems with your nanomachines would most likely destroy the rest of your body along with it! Dinnae worry. They’ve been pre-programmed with your body’s cell structure, and molded from samples of your own DNA. Given enough time to adjust and mold themselves to their assigned duties, those nanos will be virtually indistinguishable from your original nerve clusters.”

Parker scowled deeper. “Okay, but given the type of life style we all lead, avoiding getting struck by lightning or other high energy blasts isn’t as easy as one might think!”

“He’s just teasing you, love,” Roni said easily, coming over to stand beside him. “The bottom line is that once they’re in your system, you won’t have to worry about them anymore. After a few weeks, a month at most, you should be back to your old self again.”

“Well, that’s good news.” He shook his head. “Look, Gene... I really want to thank you for doing this for me. Even if you did, kinda, get off on the torture you just put me through,” he said with a slight edge, “I really do appreciate this.” He closed his eyes. “Yanno, I kind of tried to put up a brave front and all... tried to keep a positive outlook about it... but ever since I lost the full use of my powers, it felt kind of like I’d lost a part of myself, yanno? Like I’d lost a large part of my very identity.”

“Aye, lad,” Gene said gently. “That’s why I decided to do this for ye. Yer a good lad, and a true hero, powers or no... but you were suffering. We could all tell. And... for me, at least, I think the absolute worst feeling in the world is to feel helpless... to be forced to watch other people suffer, and not be able to do anything.” He closed his own eyes, remembering the past. “Aye. There’s nothing worse than that feeling.” He opened his eyes, forcing back his melancholy mood. “So, I decided that if there was a way possible to give ye back what ye’d lost, then I had to give it a try. It’s what my brother would have wanted...”

Parker blinked. “Your brother? You have a brother?”

Roni hugged his arm tightly. It’s a long story, love. I’ll tell you about it later. In the meantime, I suppose we should leave the man in peace. You have a training regiment to start, and he has a missing wife to continue searching for—”

“I found her,” Eva said abruptly, bursting into the room. “Or, rather, I should say, WE found her. Ana and myself. She’s in Norway.”

“Really?” Gene said, leaping from his chair. “You found Lacie? That’s wonderful! Where is she? Is she alright? Is she alive? Do ye ken who’s taken her?”

“Easy, there, sport,” Parker stepped in, placing a hand on his shoulder. “Slow down. Give her a chance to talk.”

The weary-looking blonde nodded her thanks. “As I was saying, Anastasia and I, pooling our powers, managed to locate her. And it wasn’t easy. She’s very far away, and... she’s being shielded from us, somehow. It took all the power we could muster to finally lock on enough to make contact with her, and even then, it was just for an instant.” She sighed. “Whoever spirited her away is powerfully gifted... really powerful, and really gifted. I might not be the most powerful psychic in the world—I think Psyche outweighs me in sheer power, and Mystic far surpasses me in surgical precision... but I’m certainly NOT boasting when I say that I have the upper hand when it comes to skill or technique. Skill will often win the day for you when sheer power fails you, and having a vast variety of techniques saves you in a pinch when your opponent adapts to your primary form of psionic manipulation. That said... whoever or whatever is shielding Lacie from us not only broke our link, it made her seem as if she no longer existed.”

“No longer... existed?” Gene whispered, going pale. “Do you mean... like she’d... died?”

“No, not like that,” Eva reassured him. “I’ve been in mental contact with someone when they’d died before. It’s... not something you want to experience twice, believe me. This... was completely different. It’s as if she was simply... I dunno... ‘beamed up’ to the bloody Starship Enterprise or something. One moment she was there, and the next... nothing. Just gone.”

“Then we’ve lost her, again...” Gene said, sitting back down.

“Hey, now, don’t go giving up just yet,” Parker said. “At least we now know the general area where she was last seen. It’s a start. Maybe if we ask around, we can find some clues as to what’s going on, who’s behind this, and why they kidnapped her.”

“Aye...” Gene said, standing up again. “Aye. Yer right. We need to see this through. But... we can’t all just up and leave en masse. Eva, lass, I’d like you to go with me. You can help narrow the search, and between your psychic abilities and my electronics, we should be able to track her down. Parker, you, Veronica, and your mother, Ana, if she wouldn’t mind staying around a bit, keep up the search here, just in case this is all some elaborate trick to get us all out of the way.”

“Good idea,” Parker agreed. “Besides the fact that the criminal element tends to lose all self-restraint whenever Omega Girl is out of the public eye for more than a few days, we still have that psychotic redhead and that sociopathic grey-skinned behemoth to deal with. Not that I relish the idea of facing either of them again, anytime soon...” He groaned softly. “On second thought, maybe I should go with Aunt Eva, and you could stay here—”

“Nice try, kid. You’ll be fine. If you end up face-to-face with Phelps again, just remember that the man’s a living juggernaut. You can’t take him on head on. If anything, the best strategy is to try and lead him away from any populated areas, get in a few shots... then run like crazy. That abomination has the strongest parts of our most powerful heroine inside him. You can’t out-power him. But, you CAN outthink him. You did it before, when he was just a normal man with a black twisted soul, so I’m pretty sure you can do it again. Superhuman or not, he’s still just a man.”

“Easy for you to say,” Parker mumbled softly, with a rueful shake of his head. “Outsmarting him the first time was no picnic either.”

“We have faith in you, nephew,” Eva said with a smile. “In ALL of you,” she added, including Roni and her sister. “Just keep things going until we get back, hopefully in just a few days, with Lacie in tow.”

“Yeah,” Parker replied, as they all split, going their separate ways. I hope they DO find her, he thought to himself. Despite all the advise, and encouragement, we all know the truth: if we hope to have any chance at all of beating Zero, we need her. We need Omega Girl...