The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Veiled Threats

by J. Darksong

6.)

“Alright. Let’s give that setting a go, shall we?” Eugene Frasier said, placing the goggles back over his eyes. “Let ‘er rip!”

The huge industrial laser powered up, emitting a soft hum for several seconds, before firing a yellow-white beam of energy. The target, a large reinforced block of tungsten steel, shimmered slightly, bathed in the light. Stepping out slightly from the protective barrier, Gene flipped the switch on a second device. “Hmmm... interesting,” he murmured softly, viewing the scanner’s readings. “Looks good so far. No adverse effects to the molecular structure. No damage to the test material. Okay... shut it down. We’re ready for the next test.”

As the technicians began exchanging the metal block for the small potted plant they’d selected, he turned to the technician manning the laser. “So, lass, is it everything you thought it would be?”

Tina Patrick grinned. “Oh, no, sir! It’s MUCH better! Don’t get me wrong. The tools at the University were all top-notch and all, but there’s something special about being able to use the real thing!” She sighed wistfully. “I really can’t thank you enough for assigning me to this project, Mr. Frasier.”

Gene chuckled. “Think nothing of it, lass. You were the best man... er, woman, for the job. Nothing more. This specific project is of particular interest to a friend of mine, and it’s been giving me a wee bit of difficulty. With your background in high energy physics, I thought ye’d be a perfect choice to help me narrow down the right frequency.” The technician’s signaled ready, and they all took their places again. “Alright, Ms. Patrick. It’s your show. Light it up!”

The laser came to life once more, bathing the test plant in its light. For a moment, it appeared nothing was happening, but about ten seconds into the demonstration, the leaves began to wither. A collective sigh issued forth as the plant died, turned to ash and began smoking. “Ahh. Alright, shut it down. We need to recalibrate again.” Gene shrugged as his technicians grumbled, preparing to set up the metal block once more. “Now, now, lads. Let us not be discouraged. Rome wasnae built in a day. We’ll get it, I’m sure of it.”

Tina sighed as well, taking out her notebook. She still felt encouraged, particularly because her boss was so enthusiastic, even in the face of yet another failure. Still, she found herself feeling doubtful... doubtful of her place there among the seasoned researchers, most of them at least twice her age. Despite all his words to the contrary, she couldn’t help but wonder if Mr. Frasier has assigned her to this project out of a misguided sense of sympathy for her. Not that she’d had a tough time readjusting after her accident or anything. Physically, she was as normal as she’d always been by the time the doctors released her from the hospital. Her social life, however, was definitely DOA. After her latest attempt at dating had ended badly, she’d decided to focus her energies completely on her work. Being the first one in and the last one out had certainly gotten her noticed, as well as her penchant for volunteering for any busy work. It wasn’t that she was trying to an early advancement or anything, like her coworkers suspected—she just hated going back home to an empty apartment.

“So, are we ready to give it another try, lads?” Gene asked pleasantly, sliding his goggles back on once more. One of the other researchers shook his head.

“Sorry, Sir. It’s six o’clock. It’s time to call it a day... unless you’d like to pay us all overtime to keep working.”

Gene chuckled ruefully. “Ah, Wilson, ye ken I have no problem with that... but I get yer intent. Alright. Go on home to your missus, and have a nice night. All of you, go clock out, and have a good weekend. See you all bright and early on Monday morning!”

As the workers exited the optics lab, Tina paused, noting Gene had yet to leave his desk. “Um, excuse me, sir,” she asked, turning back to face him. “Aren’t you leaving?”

“Ah, not just yet. I had a few more thoughts... a couple of ideas I’d like to try out before I call it quits. You’re welcome to leave, though.”

Tina smirked. If there was one person more notorious for staying behind after hours it was Mr. Frasier himself. “Actually, sir, I have no place to be at the moment. I wouldn’t mind helping you, if you don’t mind the company.”

Gene grinned. “Actually, it would be nice to have someone to chat with.” He slid aside, allowing her to walk past him to her previous place at the laser’s control panel. “Let me pick your brain for a moment. If you had to say, what would you say is the biggest problem we’re having with this project?”

“Me? Um... uh...” she stuttered, nervously, then sighed, thinking. “Well. I think the design is perfect. The electronic components are all above par. If the idea was to create a lethal weapon capable of destroying its target, then we’d have succeeded one day one.” She smiled at his laughter. “The goal you’ve set, however... a powerful but non-lethal weapon, capable of stopping someone without killing them in the process... well, it’s naturally harder to accomplish. Destruction is easy. Some might say it’s just human nature. But... well, finding a non-lethal alternative... I think it’s just going to take a while.”

“My sentiments exactly,” Gene said with a nod. “I’m surprised someone so young has the insight to realize that. Some of my older employees haven’t quite caught on to that fact yet. If it were up to them, we’d have happily continued on providing the local and state police with the same standard issues pulse guns we’ve been giving them since the beginning... but sorry, I’m beating a dead horse.” He glanced critically at the girl. “So... you think the principle is sound? That we can create a device to neutralize an opponent without causing any physical damage?”

“I think so. I mean, we know it can be done. What’s-her-name... um... you know... that Super that was on the news the other night...”

“You mean Omega Girl?”

“Oh! Yes, her too... but I was thinking of the one over in Midas City... anyway, the point is, they use their powers to stun people into submission, and all without physically hurting them. I’m not an expert on Supers or anything... but whatever kind of energy or magic they use, I’m sure it functions at a specific frequency that makes their effects work...”

“...and if we could just make the machine match that frequency...” Gene said slowly. He stood up. “That’s brilliant! All this time, and I never thought... Tina Patrick, you’re a genius!” He picked her up in his arms, and spun her around, making her squeal slightly. Realizing what he’d done, he lowered her gently back to the ground, blushing sheepishly. “Ah, um, sorry about that, Ms. Patrick. Forgive me. My enthusiasm got the better of me.”

“Um, it’s okay, Sir,” Tina said demurely, blushing as well, rubbing lightly at her shoulders. “I’m just happy to help.”

“Oh, you have, lass,” he said, moving over to an empty desk, grabbing a sheet of paper, and a pen, quickly scribbling notes and equations. “Ye’ve helped me out more than ye could possibly know.”

* * *

Eva parked her car across the street from her destination, then walked over to the house. A quick scan of the area showed that no one had taken notice of her. She sighed inwardly. It felt strange, out as her super heroine persona without wearing her trademark revealing whites... but considering that she was wading through very dark waters, she thought it best not to attract any more attention to herself that her inquiries and activities were already attracting.

Well... at least I should be able to get some definite answers here. If the information I got from that detective’s mind is correct, then this is one of their call centers. For all intents and purposes, it’s just like any other call center... on paper, at least. Still, the blueprints I got from my contact at City Hall show this place is a quite a bit more high-tech than your standard communications hub needs to be. She frowned. Kind of wish I’d brought someone more technical-oriented than myself... oh well. Shouldn’t be too much of a hassle. The idea is simple enough: pose as a new applicant inquiring to whether or not they’re hiring, and send out a few mental probes in the process. If anyone has information, I’ll act accordingly, and if not, I use my influence to take a look at their files. Straightening her hair as she knocked on the front door, she put a smile on her face. Either way, I should learn a lot about what’s going on once I get inside.

“Lady, you have no idea how true those words are.”

The door swung open, leading into darkness. A hand reached out, grabbing Eva’s arm before she could react, pulling her inside. She cried out in alarm, suddenly finding herself falling... then closed her eyes, focusing her mind, pushing her fear away, regaining control of her senses and awareness... and opened her eyes to find herself standing in a small white room. A familiar redhead sat in front of a heavy oak desk, a look of bemusement on her face as she waited for Eva to get her bearings. Steadying herself, taking a deep breath, Eva spoke. “Again with the childish illusions, I see? For a person that calls herself ‘Wyldcard’ you seem to be something of a one-trick pony.”

The redhead laughed. “Oh, I haven’t even started going through my deck yet. I hope you forgive my flair for being dramatic... but when facing someone with YOUR reputation, White-wash, well, I felt the need to put on a good show. Oh... and you can stop trying to probe for my real location. One, I am really here this time, and two, your mind probes can’t penetrate my mental barrier.” She gestured to an empty seat in front of the desk, and the martini glass prepared for her. “Please. We can at least be civil during the Q & A. I’m sure you have plenty of questions you’re just burning to ask, and I’m in the whimsical kind of mood where I actually feel obliged to answer some of them.”

Eva raised an eyebrow. “SOME of them?”

“IT’s a game,” Wyldcard said, gesturing again to the chair. “It’s no fun to simply give you ALL the answers without something in return. You should be glad to be getting anything at all. Under normal circumstances, information comes at a high place.” She sighed. “So... are you going to sit down and chat with me, or are you going to keep wasting your time trying to read my mind?”

Grumbling softly under her breath, Eva sat down. “Fine. We’ll do this your way.” She took a sip of wine, then nodded. Her favorite. “First question. Why all this? If all you wanted to do was sit down and talk to me, why not just come to me? Why make it into some childish game?”

“What? You have something against games?” She leaned back, spinning her chair in a circle before answering. “Think of it this way. Any encounter is a competition... a battle, where the stakes can be anything from a simple exchange of information to life and death. Whether truly important or completely trivial, every meeting between two people is a fight, a contest of wills. Considering that you’re the, enquote ‘good-guy’” she said, wiggling her fingers, “and I’m the, enquote ‘bad guy’” again with her fingers, “I thought it prudent to try and maintain a kind of... home field advantage, so to speak.”

“Okay. Fair enough. Second question. Are you involved with the people that are kidnapping these college girls?”

Wyldcard laughed. “Oh yes... I’m definitely ‘involved’ with them, as you put it. But you’re really not seeing the big picture here, friend. It’s not JUST young girls being abducted, and it’s not JUST here in River City. Believe me when I say it’s a wide spanning operation... from sea to shining sea! The one in charge of this particular branch was forced to work under a shorter timetable, and thus his activities attracted your attention. If he’d had the flexibility to function a bit more clandestinely like most of his partners... Well, hindsight is always 20-20. And your involvement, while unforeseen, is not completely unexpected. It was anticipated that Supers would eventually become involved. Hence, my presence here.”

Eva nodded, draining her glass, and pouring herself another. “I see. And... would I be correct in assuming that this ‘far-reaching operation’ you mentioned before is a government ‘black bag’ operation? Does our government have an interest in monitoring and controlling Supers?”

“A good assumption, considering the clues you’ve gathered so far,” Wyldcard said with a grin, taking a drink from her own glass, “but slightly misleading. I assume your little computer nerd friend... what’s-his-name... Ricky? I assume he uncovered enough information to rightfully conclude that a large amount of capital is coming from the federal government through a bunch of ‘under the table’ sources. But... well, Uncle Sam isn’t in the business of regulating and controlling its Super Hero citizens... at least not yet. Uncle Sam’s lesser known cousin’s brother’s nephew, however, might have an interest, as long as it’s all for the greater good in the end.” She sighed, shaking her head. “Of course, like any big organization, the person at the top rarely has a clear and concise idea of what goes on further down the chain... and rarely cares as long as the end result is the one he requested.”

Eva considered the redhead’s words. If she’s not deliberately lying or misleading me... then this whole thing isn’t a government conspiracy after all. It sounds like what may have been a legitimate research project got twisted into a much darker version that it was originally designed to be. Someone further down the chain must have realized the potential uses for such a project and has made the group’s agenda match his own. She frowned, shaking her head. I’m still not sure if that’s better or worse than what... what I originally assumed it was...

“Here, dear, let me pour you another,” Wyldcard purred softly, refilling Eva’s glass a third time. “Are you alright? You look a little piqued. Maybe we should take a short break.”

Eva shook her head, groaning as the room continued to spin even after her head was still. “You... you drugged me?” she asked, confused. “I don’t... why drug me? With your powers... you... you could have...”

“Overpowered you mentally?” Wyldcard finished. “Well, White-wash, I have a small confession to make. I’m not a psychic. Not hardly. Certainly not up to your standards. My powers... vary. My psychic defenses left me about halfway through our conversation, but luckily by then you were too stoned off the little surprise I slipped into your drink to notice. And don’t worry, it’s not poison. My orders were to try to convince you to see things more in light with OUR point of view, and by now, I think you’re starting to find my point of view VERY enticing.” She stood up and walked around the desk to face the droopy-eyed Super. “In fact, I bet you’re very very interested in anything I have to say... aren’t you, my dear?”

“Yesss,” Eva slurred softly, eyes rolling up into her head as a wave of pleasure overcame her defenses. “Very very... interested...”

* * *

“Okay, are you ready on your end?”

“Yes, sir! Let it rip!”

Gene pulled the lever, activating the laser. The beam shot out, this time a pure silvery white, striking the plant. Gene checked the device’s gauges, then nodded. Everything was baseline. “Secure on my end. Output is nominal. How’s our plant looking?”

“Just a second, still checking,” Tina yelled back, going over the figures once more. She glanced up over the barrier to confirm and smiled. “It’s working! No adverse effects! The plants are to completely undamaged after more than a minute of contact!”

“Excellent! Shutting down the system,” Gene called unnecessarily as the beam of light slowly faded. “I cannae believe it worked! Did I tell ye already that you’re a genius?”

“Aye, that ye did, Sirruh,” Tina said, imitating his baroque with a giggle. “I can’t believe it either! I can’t believe we did it!”

“Ach, well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves, lass,” Gene cautioned. “We know it works on organic materials without causing damage, and that’s all we know. A plant’s structure is quite different from that of a human being, or even an lab rat. More testing is in order, to be sure. But yes, this is a cause for celebration! We’ve narrowed the field considerably. We now have the basic energy waveform down. Once we begin testing it on the lab mice next week, we’ll be able to possibly set parameters for the wave amplitude, and we’ll have it down.”

Tina smiled, rubbing lightly at her shoulders. She still remembered the feel of his strong hands when he’d lifted her abroad and spun her around, as if she were a rag doll. She felt flushed at his nearness as he moved past her to check the results on the monitor, and with a start she realized that she was deeply crushing on the older man!

Oh my GOD! What’s wrong with me? she asked herself, blushing even redder. He’s... he’s so not available! He’s married, and happily so if the rumors around the office are correct. He’s about to be a father. Besides... he wouldn’t even look twice as a girl like me. Plain Jane all the way... the only thing I have going for me is my brain. A smile crept across her lips as Gene continued babbling on about the project, oblivious to her inner monologue. Still... if only he was available. He’s just sooo... perfect. He’s smart, funny, enthusiastic, and kind... and he’d strong, and yet gentle at the same time! He flung me around like I weighed nothing. I bet he could bench-press three hundred pounds. Yet... his grip when he held me was so warm and gentle... it was like even being carried away he was treating me with kid gloves.

She sighed softly, watching him work. It’s all those damned Nora Roberts’ books I read in bed. No wonder I’ve started fantasizing about the only Scotsman I know. But... mmmmm... that accent...

A loud bang sounded from somewhere deep within the plant, and an alarm began ringing, breaking into her thoughts. Gene jerked up, frowning. He glanced at all the monitors again, then sighed. “Huh. For a moment I thought it was the laser. Sounds like we’ve got an intruder somewhere in the plant. You stay here and I’ll go check it out.”

And brave to boot, Tina added mentally. “Hey! You can’t go out there if there’s really someone out there! What if he’s got a gun? We should call the police, have them swing by and check the place out.”

“Ah...” Gene said, frowning, considering his situation. “You make a good point. But, if it’s not a burglar, if it’s just someone like a janitor working that set off the alarm accidentally, or one of the researchers coming back to forget something they forgot... well it could be embarrassing. I should really just take a quick look to make sure...” Seeing the look in her eyes, he knew he wouldn’t be able to leave and don his Armor Man armor. Sighing inwardly, he moved to the far wall. “I can access the plant’s security system through this interface.” A small panel slide down, exposing a palm reader. It scanned his fingerprints, then the monitor changed, showing a complete layout of the plant. Their eyes widened as the camera out front showed a large hole in the concrete wall of the main building. “Well... either someone just drove a tank through the east wall of my building, or someone incredibly strong just knocked on my front door.”

“There!” Tina said, pointing to a small blinking light in the upper right corner. Gene touched the sensor, enlarging the display. A large bulky creature made its way slowly down the hallways, glancing from side to side, as if searching for something. It glanced up. spotting the camera focusing on it. He smiled, or perhaps grimaced, opening its crooked maw of teeth. A massive misshapen fist zoomed towards the camera, then the display went dead.

“Well... whoever he is, he seems to be camera shy,” Gene said drily.

“With a face like that, I can see why,” Tina murmured, shaking her head. Aloud she said, “So. What do we do now? Call the police? Try and escape before he comes this way? Find someplace to hide?

“I don’t think hiding will work. He’s obviously searching for something, and considering what he did to the wall, I don’t think we want him to find us. The security grid sent out a call to the police the instant the alarms went off, but I don’t think they’ll be able to get here in time.” He sighed. “The best move right now is for us to get out of here.”

“Oh,” Tina said, slightly disappointed. His words made sense, but she’d half hoped he would do something foolishly heroic, like stay behind and face the brute himself, face to face. Shaking aside her thoughts, she nodded. “You’re right. How do we get out of here?”

“The security grid shows he’s moving through sector A right now. We’re in sector D, so if we take the elevator down to the parking level and head right though sector C we shouldn’t even run into him. That is, if he keeps moving straight ahead.”

In agreement with the plan, they started towards the exit. As they ran, Gene began scrolling through the settings on his wristwatch, activating his emergency hypersonic signal, just in case. If the bastard does decide to make a sudden U-turn and cuts us off, I may be able to buy us some time until the cavalry gets here. I only hope she’s in a good mood tonight. I was supposed to be home for dinner an hour ago...

They reached the parking garage moments later. Gene stepped out, glancing carefully back and forth before motioning for Tina to follow him. “C’mon, lass,” he whispered as they sprinted across the empty parking lot. “Just have to make it to the far exit door, and we’re out!”

About a third of the distance to the door, a loud thump sounded, and the fall way of the parking structure exploded outward, sending concrete and steel debris in all directions. Tina screamed, and Gene reacted quickly, pulling her around behind him. The dust cleared momentarily, and the hulking misshapen brute stepped through the hole. He glared down at them, shaking his head, almost as if in disbelief. Then, he began to laugh.

“Mhuahuahuaha... I can’t believe this,” the being chuckled merrily. “If there is indeed a God, then he has a very wicked sense of humor. This is truly a pleasant surprise, running into the two of you this way!” He held up a small white package. “I only came here after hours to swipe the plans for the Plasma Generator your company was developing over in Lab A. I was planning to visit you both, eventually, once this last job was done... but, well, here you are. Now that’s convenient.”

Tina’s eyes went wide with recognition. “Oh... my God! Oh... oh no. No. NO! That voice... it can’t be!”

“What? What is it, lass?” Gene said, still keeping himself between the Brute and his employee. “Do ye ken this hulking behemoth?”

“Yes, it seems she DOES recognize me, Mr. Frasier!” the grey skinned brute bellowed, cracking his knuckles. “I’m actually surprised you don’t! After all, we went through the trouble of coming to my trial, testifying on behalf of that traitorous BITCH—” ye growled, momentarily losing his grip on her anger before resuming his normal tone once again, “—helping her convince the judge to put me away for the next thirty years.”

Now Gene gasped, peering closer at the monster. “Phelps... James Phelps. It... it’s you. But how? And what happened to you?”

Moving faster than the eye could see, Phelps took hold of Gene’s arm. The surprised Scotsman let out a yelp as the brute yanked gently, ripping the watch right off his wrist. With a crunch, he smashed the expensive device to bits between his fingertips, then let out a sigh of relief. “There. That beeping was starting to get annoying. It’s how I found you, by the way. Hypersonic signaling device? Clever. But not clever enough!” He reared back to punch Gene, but the canny Scotsman dodged, rolling to the side, scooping up a piece of rebar as he came back to his feet, holding it before him like a club. Phelps grinned, shaking his head. “Oh ho! So, the old man has a few moves. And guts, facing me with a piece of debris I created by smashing through a wall with my bare fists!”

“Tina! Get out of here!” Gene yelled, standing his ground. “Don’t say anything! Just run. NOW! Get out of here, while you still can!”

Tina shook her head. “NO! I can’t just—”

“RUN! NOW!” Gene bellowed, surging forward. A mental command activated the nanomachines inhabiting his body, increasing his speed and endurance to their peaks. He knew it wouldn’t be enough, not without his armor, not against this brute, but hopefully it would buy the girl the few seconds she needed to get away...

“Stupid man!” Phelps yelled, anger flaring again. Gene swung his makeshift club as Phelps attacked, batting him away. Nanos compensating, he rolled with the blow, lessening the damage, but groaned loudly as he hit the ground, sliding several feet back. His wrist and forearm were numb, but he knew he’d torn a few ligaments and pulled a few muscles at the very least, and possibly broken his arm at worst. Staring up at the behemoth, he saw his end bearing down on him in the form of two massive grey-skinned fists. “I’ll SMASH you!!”

“Sorry guy,” Echo said with a grin as he whizzed by, snatching Gene and Tina up and out of the line of fire. “I’m afraid my friends will have to take a rain check!”

Phelps gasped in surprise, his anger momentarily forgotten as the two black clad heroes stepped into view. “I don’t know what kind of beef you have with Mr. Frasier,” Shinobi said, drawing a handful of throwing knives from her belt, “but you’re going to have to settle up with us instead.”

“Careful, Shinobi,” Echo said with a smirk, taking out his fighting staff, telescoping it out to its full length. “He’s a big boy. You might need to unsheathe your katana for this one.”

“We’ll see, Echo,” she replied back with a grin. “You know what they say. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.”

Phelps laughed ruefully, cracking his knuckles. “I see you two are just as irreverent and flippant as ever. So be it. I came here to steal Frasier’s new prototype for my employer, but I guess that can wait ‘til I’m finished with you.” He grinned savagely, causing the two young Supers to take a step back. “I rarely mix business with pleasure... but for old friends like you, I can make an exception. Come on! Let’s see what you’ve got!”