The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

THE VOICES

By Interstitial

18. SACRIFICE

Suuori had been worried, leaving Mister Talv like that. He seemed tired, upset in some way. She could see his hands were shaking. Normally he was so calm. She couldn’t help thinking about the thing, the thing he called Lilith. Had it hurt him in some way? The thought of it frightened her. She couldn’t imagine anyone hurting Mister Talv. He was invulnerable; he always had been.

At a loss, she wandered aimlessly downstairs, into the Secret Garden. The artificial birds were singing. Blodeuwedd’s Perch was inviting, tempting her, and she nearly climbed onto it, but something in her said not now, Suuori, now’s not the time to get locked into that.

Instead, she went to her room, and she lay on the bed for a while, just thinking. And then she had an urge—she didn’t know where it came from, it was just there—and it said: why don’t you just go out for a walk? Take the air? Mister Talv goes out whenever he wants. You don’t always have to live on his leash, do you Suuori? Do you—Helve?

Suuori sat up. She hadn’t thought about that name in a long time, almost not since she’d met Mister Talv. He’d told her such beautiful stories, she thought, and so clear; they cut through all the foggy complications of life. He’d even given Suuori her name, to symbolise a new life.

She opened her wardrobe, and on some kind of whim she pulled out her old dress, and her coat, the one she’d been wearing at the beach at Kakumäe, almost a year ago now. She didn’t know why, perhaps it was just sentimentality, but she always took her old clothes with her whenever she travelled with Mister Talv. The flower pattern on the dress was still fresh and bright.

It felt strange slipping out of her uniform, and stranger still slipping into her old clothes. She looked at herself in the mirror, and remembered Helve. The loss had been unbearable; truly a broken heart. Mister Talv had told her—Helve, then—his stories, and he’d healed her. She loved him for that, she knew she did. But now, looking at her reflection, just like Helve again, she felt its pangs again, the ache of absence, the burning pain of rejection.

Why now? She thought, turning in the mirror. Why would I think of that now, of all times? And then she thought of the freedom of Helve, what a flower child she’d been, so innocent. So innocent still. Why not live that, just to taste it again, the freedom of the unknown?

She put on her coat and left the apartment, for the first time without Mister Talv telling her to, stepping softly so as not to alert him.

It wasn’t cold outside, and she could even see a few glimmering constellations in the grubby New York sky. It wasn’t at all like Tallinn; the downtown streets were bleak and cavernous. She wandered, marvelling at the height of the buildings in the distance, the midtown skyscrapers; looking up, watching out for stars, looking for Sirius, the brightest one.

Suuori thought again of the true Star, and something whispered to her: that’s just one story amongst many. Anger rose in her again, anger at the loss; anger and fierce longing for what could have been. Even after all this time, she hurt so badly it was incomprehensible. She was surprised at the sudden unbearable intensity of it.

You escaped, didn’t you? she thought. That’s what Mister Talv really offered you. Escape from feelings, from responsibility, from decisions. Escape from yourself. To be someone else. At least for a while. And now what? Are you just hiding, now?

There was a little corner bar just down the street, and on whatever inspiration, she turned and walked that way.

Mister Karsten Talv. He offered you submission, and you embraced it completely. He asked what you wanted. You told him. He gave it to you. But is it real, or is it only a game? What do you want, now?

And as she walked, thinking her thoughts, confused and reflective, the thoughts suddenly spoke to her, and Suuori knew at once that she—it—was in her head again.

Do you want to escape again, little Helve? Did you want to come out tonight, or was it someone else? Do you even know where you’re going, Helve? Do you even know who you are?

Suuori stopped dead in the street, instantly paralysed with fear. It wasn’t like the first time at all. Then, it had been a mess of confusion, panic; there in the street but at the same time in the forest, running from something, an unnameable terror—but they were just unbidden feelings, like a mad hallucination.

This was so much worse. There was another person in her head, an intelligence, a devil, oh, a goddess.

Enough about you. Let’s talk about me, shall we? I think you can help me, little Helve. I think you will, actually.

She couldn’t even run. It was as if she’d been turned to jelly. She knew the story of The Maiden of the Grave, Kalmuneiu, as her mother had told it, and her grandmother too, and she thought of it then; the girl from the land of the dead. How she comes in the night and seeps into the bodies of young women, and then lives there, just feeding on their souls. Suuori could never sleep, if she thought of that. The stories said the Maiden of the Grave’s voice was rich and deep, and this voice was just the same…

Karsten Talv’s an interesting man, isn’t he? Very creative. Very rational. An odd combination, and hard to beat. Unique, even in my experience. Fascinating, actually… I think he likes me, you know. Do you think he likes me? Do you think he can help me with my challenge? Do you think he will? What can I offer him, to encourage things along?

Suuori fell down to her knees, in the street. “Oh, oh, what are you? What are you talking about? Please don’t hurt me! What do you mean help? Mister Talv doesn’t like you, he says you’re just a dream, not even real—“

The voice laughed. Mister Talv says, Mister Talv says, Karsten Talv says a lot, doesn’t he? What do YOU think? Do you believe in me, Helve? This feels real enough, doesn’t it? This IS real, isn’t it? Wouldn’t you say Lilith is real?

All the childhood tales burst in her head like fireworks, and Suuori knew them all fully again, all at once, even the ones she’d thought long forgotten. The Spirit of the Lake, who spoke to you, if you asked, and sometimes possessed you if you’d been bad. Alevipoeg and Kalevipoeg, the dark brothers. Ehaema, Mother Twilight; Kaevukoll, the bogeyman of the well. Luupainaja, the incubus, the nightmare. Lilith, the Liletu; all the children of Samael. Even the Loa: Gran Maître, Papa Legba, Maman Brigitte, the riders of men. Marinette, the fiercest of the wronged women, the freer of slaves, every woman her horse by command…

Suuori shut her eyes tight and wrapped her arms around her head in anguish. “No! You must be real, or I’ve gone mad! Am I possessed? Are you the Maiden of the Grave? Ehaema? The Marinette? What are you?

Goodness me, you do absorb these things with conviction, don’t you? The Voudou, too? Always the same stories, slave girl, told in a different way. Shall I ride you, then, little horse? Yes, I’m real, and yes, some call me Marinette too, the screech owl—why is it always the damn owl in these stories!—and I’ve come to free you from your bondage…

And then it—Lilith—took over.

Step aside, slave girl, obey your mistress. Saddle up, little horse, and let not Lilith spare the spur.

The feeling was like being shoved, hard, pushed into a corner and held there. Suuori could see everything, hear everything, feel everything, but now someone—something—else had control. With that inexplicable shove, Suuori was suddenly a passenger in her own body. She watched, appalled, as she—her own body—stretched its hands in front of her, flexing the fingers, exploring, inspecting, touching.

“Mmm. Feels so good to be real.” Suuori’s lips had spoken the words, but she heard the same dark contralto voice, not her own. “They used to make sacrifices to me, you know, back in the day.”

Lilith? What are you doing? What have you done to me? She thought the words, but no words came. She tried to fight, to do something, to move an arm, a leg, anything. But it was like being trapped inside a glass box, a bell jar somewhere in her own head, and no matter how she pounded on the walls, they held.

“Yes—I’m real all right, just like in the stories,” said Lilith, looking around at the empty street. “Thank you for believing. And you, Helve? Are you real, or are you just a voice in my head?”

* * *

The little backstreet bar was familiar, although she’d never been there; a busy, lively, happy place, the type of bar you can find in every student quarter in every university city in the world. As Lilith entered, they passed a girl in a flowery dress talking to her boyfriend, taking the air, leaning against the doorway. Suuori tried to shout out to her, a kindred spirit surely—Please! Help me! —but Lilith walked past her without a passing glance, and into the happy throng of young people. She attracted attention from a few men as Suuori—Lilith—approached the bar. Suuori might have nodded, smiled back; innocent trusting Helve certainly would have, once.

Lilith just stared straight ahead, her mouth set.

“I killed a man, not so long ago, for looking at me like that,” she murmured. “The first time I came to Tallinn. The night you came to get me, later. Well, it wasn’t me, as much as the woman I was in.”

You killed a man? In Tallinn?

“He may have been having an affair, I think, or maybe not. Who cares? His wife suspected, but she wouldn’t admit it, wouldn’t allow the thought. I admitted it for her; I’ve many memories of such wrongs. Men are so stupid, so casually hurtful. You know that too, don’t you?”

But murder?

Lilith had ordered a double shot of Tequila. Suuori hated Tequila, and if she had been able to wrinkle her nose as she knocked it back, she would have. The liquid burned her throat.

“Her murder, not mine. Oh sure, he swore blind there was no affair, swore on their son’s life that there never had been, that she was the only one. But they always do, don’t they? Then he smiled at her, to reassure her, just like that man just smiled at me.

“I don’t think she even knew what she was doing, or will remember what she did to him. But I will. The avenging angel. Justice served. Guilty until proven innocent, that’s the way it was with Lilith, and that’s the way it always will be.

“Anyway, we’re not here for men. We’re here for something else entirely. I want to get Karsten Talv a present. A little thank you in advance, for helping me.”

Lilith laughed throatily. “See, I’m not a total bitch, no matter what you may think.”

I don’t understand, what do you mean ‘helping you’? What do you mean, a ‘present’?

“Children, little slave girl. We’re going to make a baby. A little baby Lilith. I know clever Karsten Talv can help, I just know it. We made a deal. I can hardly wait, hardly wait!”

Suuori felt a pulse of mad anticipation, Lilith’s excitement. It was shocking, terrifying, but she could say nothing.

Out of control, Suuori’s whole body felt electrified with a deep sexual hunger she’d never felt before. Lilith scanned the room, and Suuori saw what she saw; her gaze had settled on a young woman, a student—oh, a child, really, surely no more than nineteen. Suuori felt the mad intensity of Lillith’s will flare. It was like standing too close to a fire.

Perhaps sensing something, the young woman looked up and instinctively smiled; just like I used to smile, thought Suuori, innocently, trustingly, smiling at anyone. She had a row of tiny blue stars tattooed on one cheekbone, so guileless and free.

“What do you think, little slave girl?” murmured Lilith. “Do you think she’s what I’m looking for? A virgin, all ripe and ready?”

A chill. Suuori pressed her hands against the glass walls of her mind. What do you mean, a present?

As she began walking towards the girl, Suuori screamed in her head, and banged on the glass case, but all was silence.

Lilith smiled her slow smile, leaned in and kissed the girl full on the lips. There was a moment of shock, the girl’s eyes wide, and then she closed them and began to kiss back, her tongue working with increasing intensity, suddenly lost in the moment, until finally Lilith pulled away.

“Hello to you too,” she said, smiling wider. “I’m Lilith.”

NO! I’m Suuori, I’m Helve! She shouted, screamed, but nothing came out.

The girl with the stars on her face was staring at Suuori—at Lilith—eyes as wide as a bush baby. She really was very young. The pupils were dilated; Ecstasy, thought Suuori, and possibly much else besides. She saw herself, her old self, Helve, in this girl. Who knows what she would have done at that age, a world where everybody was nice until proven otherwise, where everybody wished you well, and a life of adventure lay at her feet? Let alone the fact that she was obviously completely out of her head.

The girl swallowed, collected herself, and finally said: “Ah. I’m ah, Else.”

Else! Run away!

“Thank you for the kiss. I wonder what else we should do with you—ah, Else.” Lilith stroked the girl’s face, one finger running gently down the pretty line of stars, a hunter’s claw. “I think you might be a virgin, am I right? I can smell it. How rare and precious. Virgins are so powerful, aren’t they? Don’t be shy, we were all young once.”

The girl flushed and dropped her gaze. She swallowed once, and nodded; and she looked up and smiled at Lilith. “But I’m at college, now.”

What are you doing, you stupid girl? Suuori cried. Lilith ignored her.

“Well, I know all about virgins. Desperately yearning to be taken, craving it, as all virgins do—in heat, really, hmmm?” She was close, whispering in Else’s ear now. Her tongue licked her there. Else didn’t move. “You’re wondering what would be best to still that craving, because you just don’t know yet… is it the thrust of the cock, big and hard inside you, or is it the stroke of the tongue, like this, or maybe it’s both hmmm? Would you like to find out?”

Incensed, Suuori pushed, as hard as she could—and suddenly, miraculously she was back.

“I’m—I’m sorry Else,” Suuori said, trying to blot out Lilith in the background shouting: Give me back the reins, slave girl! I’m the real one now! “I got confused for a moment.” Else’s eyes widened further, if that was possible, pale blue saucers in her face now, her pupils huge.

She—Suuori—grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her, shouting into her face. “Listen, we don’t have much time! You need to leave this bar right now —”

“— and come with me,” said Lilith. “A whole new adventure awaits.” She took the girl’s warm hand, firmly leading her towards the exit.

A shove, and Suuori was back hammering on the glass cage of her own mind again. Trusting, drugged or just dazed, Else seemed unable to resist; whether she wanted to or not, Suuori had no clue.

Lilith’s voice, under her breath: “I gave her a gift when we kissed, just to help things along. A little meme of exploration. The call of the wild. You know how people can be about that. Now she can come with us and explore a few things. Maybe she’ll find herself…”

Lilith? What are you doing? You’re crazy! Where are you taking her?

“Where do you think? A whole new experience. What do you think, slave girl? What would it would be like to be a virgin, touched for the very first time not by some fumbling adolescent dream of love, but by Mister Karsten Talv’s imagination? If your first meaningful sexual experience as a woman was, say, to be locked into Blodeuwedd’s Perch?”

Lilith laughed and clapped her hands with joy at the thought. Else smiled too, seemingly entirely unperturbed by this. If only she could hear us, thought Suuori. Run, Else! This isn’t some sexy little adventure! For God’s sake run!

“Oh, just think. He’ll watch, while I bind her, and then as I kiss her deep and slow whilst the implacable shaft penetrates her, just here,” and Lilith reached down and stroked herself, and the uninvited thrill of it made Suuori want to gasp. “We’ll use a really big one, I think. I can just imagine her face at its first touch down there, as she realises what she’s in for. I can imagine the gasps, the squeals, the sounds she’ll make. I won’t gag her though.”

For fucks sake, Else, run! Lilith, she’s a woman. How can you do this to another woman?

“Oh, it’ll be such fun. And then, later we can put her in The Void, and change her forever. That would be quite something, wouldn’t it? I bet Talv’s never even met a virgin! He’ll be so pleased with me once I explain. He’ll be sure to help me now!”

There in the street, beside the harbour, outside the door of his apartment building, Lilith raised her face to the heavens, her arms spread wide, and whirled, laughing, a witch in the wind. “Look at me now, Karsten Talv, Lilith’s real, and just look at the present I’ve brought you! Let’s seal the deal with a virgin sacrifice, just like the old days; there’s no magic stronger.”

And that’s when Suuori had an idea.