The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Adjusters II: The Greek Fiasco

The DVD (1)

“Look, why didn’t you just break the fucking bracelet if it bothered you so much then?” Serena was getting frustrated. “I mean, how about you rip this one out too, while you’re at it. Go on!” She lifted her arm, showing the silver charms bracelet on her wrist, catching the light in the noonday sun. They were sitting outside the Darnell Café, a small shop in the middle of campus, taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather. The lunchtime crowd was slowly clearing out.

“I don’t know, okay? I wasn’t thinking. It was...” He could not complete the sentence.

Serena sighed with exaggerated drama, then shook her head. “Okay, let me see if I got this right. Yesterday, you had a dream in which your fiancée—Jenn, little miss good girl, whom we know and love and who is so completely and utterly crazy about you that it’s sickening—getting it on with, of all people, Biff Cusker, bully extraordinaire—”

“I’m not entirely sure it was a dream...” Even as he said it, Daniel knew it sounded crazy.

Serena sighed again. “A dream-that-is-not-a-dream in which he and this other guy—Bernie?—hypnotized her or something like that. And later that evening, when you talked to her, Jenn started acting the way that Biff—in your dream—had told her she should act with you that evening? In particular, screwing like little bunnies while she told you a story about getting it on with Biff? Daniel, that’s pretty twisted, especially for you.”

“You don’t need to tell me,” he said.

“And what did Jenn say when you told her about your dream?”

“I didn’t.”

“Why not?”

“What would I have said?”

“What you just told me. And then she would have told you exactly what I’m about to tell you: that it was just a dream and that you should know better than drink stuff that Radhu’s mother sends him in care packages.”

Daniel did not contradict her and merely groaned in response. She was right, of course. It had to have been a dream. What bothered him is that it was unlike any dream he had ever had; it remained vivid, despite the mental fog that surrounded the images and the memories, and the feelings—like he had been a visitor in his own body, unable to react and move, able only to witness. The mental picture he had was that of a little boy, wide eyed, scared. He did not know where that image came from, but it matched how he had felt about the dream episode.

When he had woken up that morning, he had been saddled with what felt like a horrible hangover, despite not having touched a drop of alcohol the day before. Jenn had already left. She had classes all morning until mid afternoon, so her absence had not been a surprise. She had left a note on the kitchen table thanking him for the wonderful time the night before, and letting him know that she was picking up a DVD for later tonight for them to enjoy. That normalcy simply added to the feeling of unreality that had engulfed him. Unreality, and guilt.

“Daniel, what’s going on?” Serena’s worry was palpable. “You’re frightening me. Look, we’ll figure this out, okay. I’m sure there’s nothing going with Jenn. There’s gotta be an explanation. Let’s start with Radhu. We can ask him what the hell it was that he gave you, and whether this is a normal side effect. Okay?”

How could Daniel explain to Serena what he was feeling? There was this pool of guilt, deep inside him, guilt that had enveloped him this morning and threatened to drown him. How could he explain to Serena that it was his stupid fantasies that had fueled his dream, a dream that held a sort of prophetic power in his mind, a dream that warned him that he had pushed his fiancée into the arms of a jerk who had found a way to slip into their fantasy life and then found a way to burst his way out.

Daniel remembered how, the previous semester, during the little game that he and Jenn were playing while trying to figure out what their future would be, he had asked her to go and tease this Delta Iota Kappa frat boy—what was his name? Jackson?—and shamefully part of the reason why he did was to show his girlfriend up to Biff, whom he had met earlier and that he had disliked pretty much on sight. It was a childish and ill-conceived maneuver. Jenn had indulged him, in no small part to teach him a lesson. The ploy had severely backfired, however, and Biff had hit on Jenn pretty hard, angering Daniel. He had had no one to blame but himself, as Jenn herself made clear later on. But, and this was one of the bits that made everything else more complicated, later that night, at home, Jenn had seduced him and concocted this little fantasy—as she was wont to do when they made out—with Biff in a starring role, and the jealousy that had burned through Daniel had merged with the utter offensiveness of what Jenn was saying and, may the gods forgive him, he had liked it. And that, in his mind, made everything that followed his own fault. He did not know how to broach the subject with Serena—he did not know how to explain any of it. He was not even sure he understood it fully himself.

“Dan! Oh my God, it’s so good to see you!”

Daniel sighed. This was exactly what he did not need right now. There was only one person in the world that called him Dan, despite his frequent objections. He turned his head towards the newcomer.

Cindy Caprese, with all of her five feet, was practically skipping towards him. As was her habit, the blonde was wearing a very short skirt that exposed a pair of delectable legs sheathed in boots. The chipper blonde threw her arms around Daniel and hugged him. “Happy New Year, Dan! I’ve missed you.”

He had known Cindy for a little more than one semester, having shared a class with her in the fall, and while he found her a little too intense at times, he had nevertheless formed a casual friendship with her. Whatever else one might say about Cindy, she was always pleasant and cheerful, with a bright smile that could light up any room. Of course, she flirted endlessly with him, even though she knew he had a girlfriend that he was crazy about. Daniel did not really believe she was trying to steal him away from Jenn. It felt much more like something she just did, her way of being friendly, her way of connecting. Jenn had concurred, explaining why she had really never been jealous of Cindy, or worried about Daniel straying.

Straying. The word brought him back to the previous day, to images of Jenn on her knees sucking off Biff, images shrouded in their dream-like fog. He must have made a face, because Cindy suddenly looked concerned. “What’s wrong? What happened?”

“Nothing, Cindy, never mind. It’s okay.”

“No it’s not, you look like death.” She ran a hand over his forehead, her frown deepening.

“Cindy...”

“Look,” said Serena, “give him some room, okay? Breathing’s important?”

Cindy jumped. She lifted her hands in a I’m-unharmed gesture, and stepped away from Daniel.

“Thanks,” added Daniel, not looking at either of the girls. He really did not want to talk about any of this with Cindy. “I’m just... I’m probably just getting sick, that’s all. Nothing to worry about. I’ll just go home and wind down a bit.”

“Wow, what’s with all the tension? Cin, what’s up?” That was a male voice, one that sounded familiar to Daniel. What now? he thought. It took him a second to recognize the young man that was walking up to them, with a thin and cute redhead on his arm who was sporting a dazzling smile. Daniel worked hard to control his reaction. This was getting to be a bit too much.

“Hey, I know you,” said the newcomer, eyeing Daniel. “We met last year, somewhere... was it a party or something? I’m Jackson.”

Daniel nodded curtly. “Yeah, we met. In the Quad, last fall. Football.” When I sent my girlfriend to tease you.

“Oh yeah, that’s right. Daniel, right? How’s it going? And where’s that cute girlfriend of yours?”

“Class.”

“Well, say hi to her for me. We should hang out at some point. You know, just stuff? By the way, this is Kyra.”

He gestured towards the girl next to him, who waved to Daniel. “Hi, nice to meet you,” she said. Daniel nodded. He thought she looked familiar but couldn’t place her. His brain was reaching its saturation point. She had a sweet voice, though, and from the way she had one arm wrapped around Jackson’s waist and was pressing against him, it was rather clear they were an item. Jackson’s hand was rubbing the small of her back, often straying down to caress the top of her ass encased on those tight jeans she had on.

“Never mind my friend here,” added Serena, when it became clear that Daniel would not say anything more. “He’s been having a bit of an... issue... with your frat.” She pointed to the big frat ring on Jackson’s finger. “I’m Serena, by the way.”

Jackson smiled, nodding his head. “Yeah, I think we’ve met too,” he replied. Daniel noticed that Jackson’s eyes quickly roamed over his friend’s body, a not uncommon reaction to the buxom black girl’s presence. To Jackson’s credit, the look was barely a glance.

Jackson turned to Daniel. “What’s up? What did my stupid ass brothers do this time?” When Daniel looked up with a question in his eyes, Jackson laughed. “Yeah, well, they’re a bit thick at times. But they’re not all bad. Just have to pick the right ones. So what’s up? Anything I can help with?”

Daniel hesitated. He did not trust him. Serena seemed to have no such problem. “He’s just having some trouble with your pal Biff.”

“Fuck, sorry to hear that. Everyone has trouble with Biff at some point. I try to steer clear of him whenever I can. He’s like a big kid, with the impulse control to match.”

“Yeah, well, I think he’s been... causing trouble with my girlfriend,” added Daniel, noncommittally.

“What kind of trouble?” Jackson’s concern seemed genuine. Cindy reached out to squeeze Daniel’s arm in support. Oddly enough, the touch felt nice. Kyra remained silent, listening quietly, untouched by the drama.

Daniel took a deep breath. “He’s been... threatening to steal her from me.”

Cindy’s hand squeezed harder on his arm. Jackson laughed nervously. “Yeah, well, that’s Biff for you. All full of bluster and thinking he’s the ladies’ man and all, but he’s gonna get distracted soon by some other girl and he’ll be out of your face before you can say ‘Fuck off!’”

“Yeah, maybe,” grunted Daniel. Somehow, the conversation did not make him feel any better.

Jackson looked at Daniel and Serena, hesitated for a second, then motioned to Kyra. “Well, okay then. We should probably get going. You still want to hit the mall?”

Kyra nodded. “I’m still looking for that perfect little nightie to make your head spin in place,” and she reached up to kiss Jackson. He cut the kiss short, blushing slightly. “Right. We’re off then. Cin, you still coming, or you staying?”

Cindy glanced at Daniel, and when he shook his head, she took the hint. She hugged him, waved bye to Serena, and she, Jackson, and Kyra headed up on the path.

“Jackson,” shouted Daniel, after a long internal debate, “can I ask you a question?”

Jackson turned. “Shoot.”

“What’s going on at Delta Iota Kappa?”

“What do you mean?”

“Lots of weird stuff happening, that’s all, and lots of it pointing to you guys. Like, what’s with those DIK girls?”

“Oh fuck, not that!” Serena muttered under her breath, sinking in her chair. “Daniel, you gotta let that go—”

Daniel ignored her, spying everyone’s reaction. Cindy looked up and shook her head slightly as if to say don’t go there, while Kyra had no reaction beyond lifting an eyebrow. Jackson’s face went blank for a few seconds before he recovered. Gotcha, thought Daniel. “No idea what you’re talking about there,” said Jackson, his voice neutral.

He pointed to the silver charms bracelet on Cindy’s wrist, and then to the one adorning Kyra’s wrist as well, which he had just seen now. “The bracelets.”

Jackson laughed, a laugh that Daniel’s suspicious mind took to be just a tad too forced. “Those? Bah, just something that we like to give to girls we like. All girls like jewelry right? Okay, we gotta go now, or we’re going to miss our ride. Ladies,” and he pointed the way and followed Cindy and Kyra, giving a last goodbye to Serena and Daniel.

Daniel watched them go. Serena looked at him with pity in her eyes. He stared right back at her. He remembered his dream.

“Serena, I am your DIK master.”

Serena’s face and eyes went blank, as if someone had extinguished a light in her skull. She moaned, her voice throaty. “Yes, you are—”

“Fuck!” Daniel jumped. It worked! He could not believe it. He looked around their table see if anyone had noticed anything. His mind was suddenly going a thousand miles per hour. People were eating, drinking, and talking, not paying any attention to them.

“A DIK moron!” Serena finished, before grabbing a fork and tossing it his way. Daniel did not even think to duck.

“Oh, so it didn’t work?”

“Of course it didn’t work! This,” and she raised her wrist, pointing to her bracelet, “is not a fucking hypnosis bracelet. I don’t know what your brain dreamt up yesterday, but there’s no such thing as mind control. And even if there was, it’s not those bozos at Delta Iota Kappa that could pull it off!”

“Fine, fine, fine! Whatever. Look, you gotta admit there’s a lot of strange stuff going on, Ser. The whole Marjorie thing last semester that still doesn’t square out in my head.” He raised a hand before Serena could interject. “I know, I know, you told me and wrote about NADA and the prostitution ring and stuff, but still, it doesn’t add up. There’s that whole bracelet thing that creeps up left and right—and the fact that you bought that crap story about Marjorie and appearing with a bracelet afterwards is just a bit suspicious. I’m not saying cover-up here, but that’s the natural assumption. Six months ago you would have been battering down that frat’s front door to figure out what’s going on. Now you let them give you jewelry? And while we’re talking about you, you’ve been nearly impossible to get in touch with since the beginning of the year, and you disappear for whole afternoons at a time, with no explanation. Not that you have any explanation to give, of course, but weird and weird and weird adds up to lots of weird. Radhu, he’s cooped in that fortress of his, and seems to be happy never seeing the light of day again. And Jenn...” He let the sentence trail off.

Serena had an unreadable expression on her face. “You done?” Daniel grunted. She sighed. “Look, Daniel, you may want to consider the possibility that the weird is not so much out there but in your head. I’m done with the Marjorie story, and I’m satisfied with it. If you’re not, that’s your problem. I’ve doing a follow-up on the NADA thing, so I’m not letting anything go. I just follow the story, not some crazy idea. Radhu’s been traumatized. Jenn—I don’t know about Jenn. But you’ve been acting strange yourself, and you really don’t look good. You’re starting to sound paranoid, and maybe it’s an effect of that crap Radhu gave you. What I’m trying to say here is that I’m worried about you.” She extended her hand and squeezed his arm, just like Cindy had done earlier. For some reason, this time, it did not feel so good.

Is that it? he wondered. Am I just at the tail end of a bad trip?

“You’re right,” he finally told Serena, “I’m being an idiot. I need to talk to Jenn. Just to clear my mind. I’ll see you later, Ser.”

“Attaboy. Wait... I thought she had class?”

“She does. I’ll just catch her between two.” He stood, then had another thought. “Listen, do you still have the research you did last semester during the Marjorie investigation?”

“Yeah, there’s a copy at the office. But I told you—”

“I know, I know. But as a favor, a huge favor, could you make me a copy? I just want to satisfy my curiosity. It’s important for my peace of mind.”

“You’re wasting your time.” Daniel looked at her without responding. Eventually, she relented. “Fine, I’ll get you a copy. Then you quit bugging me with your conspiracy theories. You’re worse than Radhu. Now go find your fiancée, you paranoid idiot!”

* * *

A few tables down from Daniel and Serena and unnoticed by either of them, sat a striking raven-haired woman wearing a long black leather coat. She had not missed a single word of their whole conversation. She watched Daniel quickly say goodbye to the beautiful black girl, Serena. Calmly, she looked down at the napkin on the table before her, on which she had scribbled Biff and Bernie, underlined twice, and below them Marjorie?? She pondered silently the significance of what she had heard. It fit the little she knew. The picture was filling in slowly.

She looked up at the girl named Serena. Her eyes trailed down the length of the black girl’s body, taking in the generous curves of the breasts, picturing the fleshy mounds that were barely hidden under the tight blouse, and further down catching the sight of a long pair of legs emerging from a tight skirt. She had a momentary mental image of the girl lying down before her, skirt trussed up to her waist, legs spread wide and tied to poles, panties ripped away and stuffed in her mouth, eyes wide with fear, slutty cunt pulsating and drooling with anticipation. The raven-haired woman permitted herself a small smile, which soon dissipated.

* * *

Daniel never did catch Jenn between her classes. He did make it to her classroom right on time, and waited by the door while the students filed out, but Jenn was nowhere in sight. A short inquiry to one of the stragglers revealed that she had not made it to class at all. He tried to call her cell phone, but it rang and rang and eventually went to voice mail.

“Hi love—call me when you get this message, okay?”

Unsure what next to do, Daniel wandered the campus before heading home. There was a worry in the pit of his stomach. He called Radhu to ask him if by any luck Jenn had contacted him today—she had this habit of checking up on him ever since she helped nurse him back to health after the NADA incident the previous semester—but she had not. He called those of her friends for whom he had a number, but nothing. She had attended her morning classes, they told him, but she had left before noon. No, she had not said where she was going, nor what she was up to.

She was not at home either, Daniel was quick to ascertain. The place was like he had left it that morning. He went around the apartment a few times, aimless, then tried calling Jenn again. He was confused upon hearing the faint sound of Jenn’s ring tone. He tracked it down to the bedroom, where he found Jenn’s cell phone buried in a pile of clothes strewn at the bottom of her closet.

He picked up the cell phone. What was it doing there? The worry in the pit of his stomach upgraded to a cold dread. He thumbed through the call log. There were the slew of missed calls from when he had tried to reach her earlier that day, and before those there had been an outgoing call at twenty past noon to a local cab company, and before that at eleven forty-five an incoming call from an unknown number. Daniel dialed the number. The call went straight to voice mail. “Yo, it’s Biff. Leave a message.” Daniel disconnected, then sat on the bed. He looked at the phone log again. The call had lasted five minutes. The sequence of events was easy to reconstruct. It provided him no clue with how to proceed, however.

He called the cab company, but no matter how much he cajoled and then threatened them, they were not willing to reveal where they had delivered their client. They would not even give him the number of the cab that was dispatched. New anti-terrorism procedures, they said, at which point Daniel decided that arguing was futile.

Finding Jenn realistically seemed to amount to finding Biff, however disturbing the prospect was. The logical first step was the frat house. A few calls later, he had the phone number, and he ended up talking to what, for lack of a better term, he thought of as the front desk. He asked for Biff, was told to hold on before being told that Biff was not there and had not been seen since the morning. Daniel could not help but pick up the underlying and why would you want to talk to that guy anyways? tone to the brother’s voice, which managed to convince him that the brother was probably telling the truth. On a whim, he asked for Bernie, and was told that he was also out, probably to a class.

They lived in a small town, granted, but what was he supposed to do, knock on every door in town? He called everyone he could think of, asking if they had seen either Jenn or Biff, but nothing useful came out of those inquiries. What about tracking Biff’s cell phone? Was it not what everyone on television did in those situations? He called Radhu, who confirmed that sure, that was doable, but you needed a bunch of information, not to mention hacking into the phone company’s network, or into one of a few select government agencies. That might take a while, he said, seemingly undisturbed at the thought and ready to proceed if asked. Daniel hesitated, and asked him to quietly look into it, but to not do anything illegal for the time being.

And then Daniel had nothing to do but wait. He tried to figure what he would tell Jenn when he saw her. Is she sleeping with Biff? The idea seemed ludicrous. But maybe that was what his subconscious was trying to tell him via his dream, after having put together subtle clues that his conscious mind was unaware of. Was she getting cold feet about the whole marriage thing? But then, what was the connection with Biff?

That she might be hooking up with Biff—even just the possibility—stung something fierce. He and Jenn had played fantasy games involving other men, like many couples did, but it had always been just that, fantasy games. He had no desire to see any of it happen in real life. The image from the previous day—Jenn on her knees, giving Biff head while wearing next to nothing—came unbidden to his mind’s eye. Others soon followed, as if crawling out of his subconscious—Jenn naked with her legs spread, Biff’s large body between her thighs, pressing into her, penetrating her, over and over again, Jenn biting her lips, or screaming, clawing his back, the scratching serving only to egg the bastard on. Daniel’s hands clenched into fists, and he had to stand up and shake off the images. There was nothing he could do now, at least nothing he could think of. Later, when Jenn came back, they would air out everything that needed airing, and all would be good again.

And maybe it’s all in my head and Serena is right and it’s just Radhu’s tea making me paranoid.

He poured himself a large drink and tried, somehow, to first lose himself in an essay he had to write for class, and then in a book. Eventually, he prepared some dinner. He made another round of calls to everyone to see if they had heard from Jenn or seen her or Biff anywhere, to no avail. He asked Serena if she was up for dropping by and keeping him company, but she told him she was busy, without telling him what she was up to.

He ate, alone, the television for only company. By eight o’clock, he was polishing off a bottle of scotch left over from an old celebration. By nine o’clock he was sleeping in front of the still lit television. Jenn never returned home that evening.