The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

An Apocalypse Rising

By Saddle Rider

Epilogue

The weeks passed and spring finally gave way to summer, the cold bite of the nights finally giving way to warmth aplenty and spikes of humidity that could make being outside uncomfortable. This day though, was not one of those. The sky was cloudless and, looking out her window Neral looked forward to being out in it. She had shed her uniform today in favor of a pale blue sundress with her softest pair of ankle boots, enjoying how the heels clicked on the floor as she walked. Today would be hers.

She walked and listened to the sounds of her home as she moved through it, saying hello to the servants as she passed, some of the newer people surprised that she knew their names and about their lives.

She listened to Tessa and Cassea go back and forth as she stayed a few steps behind so as not to interrupt on the particulars of running a house. Neral had come to know that the more acid on her tongue or bite in her wit that Cassea showed those near her, the more affection she had for them. When they had returned Cassea had simply kissed Deres hard, then eyed him critically, shaking her head. “I told you you would return. Perhaps next time you will listen. No, of course not. Why would you?” She went on from there, Deres seemed to enjoy every bit of it and Neral and Bryana did as well.

Over weeks she had watched Elan and Tessa become close friends because they so shared temperament, often shopping together as Elan spent more and more time on the estate. She expected that the young lady might have a room in the house soon, and she wondered how the young lady would add to the weave that was her home and her family.

Family. That is what it had all sort of become over this time. It got ever harder to imagine life in this place without each of the voices that echoed the halls. Entering the main living room she spied Bryana, a vision in her own lavender blouse and black skirt, a half full glass red liquid on the end table between two high-backed leather seats and a book in hand. “A little early for liquor, isn’t it?”

She tried not to laugh. “Estaberry juice, Neral. I don’t need to drink the night away like you do with you and your gossipy sisters”

“We...keep each other appraised of the doings of High Court. It’s critical if we are to maintain our proper position.”

“Of course it is.”

Neral tilted her head to get a look at the book. “The Eternal Quest. It can’t be, the book clearly ends.”

That got her to smile. “You are so clever. Anna and I have been trading books. It’s a good yarn so far.”

Neral sat in the chair across from her. “I’m liking this.”

Bryana finally closed the book, sat it on the table and met those brown eyes with a touch of whimsy. “What are you liking exactly?”

“For the past couple of weeks you have seemed much yourself and it makes me happy.”

“Being corrupted, dying, and having another give their life to bring me back impacts one.” She continued quickly rather than let the mood sour. “I was conflicted about much for a time. Was I worth it? Can I live up to what was given?”

I accept now that it’s done. Kes thought I was. Even if she may have wanted to redeem herself, she had no love for mages with good reason and didn’t have to do what she did, All I can do is try to live the best I can and hope I was worthy. Then there was the matter of coming to terms with the fact that I owe the witch a debt, too. That was a taller mountain to climb.”

Neral suddenly wanted a bit of liquor herself. “She tried to destroy you. You owe her nothing. All she did was take.”

“When I was changed...it just was. One moment I was someone, the next I was someone else. I accepted that it could not be changed and lived my life. There was a certain,” she searched for the words, “safety and security in that. I could say I shed the old me and move on.”

“But she put that person to me in a way I could not deny or ignore. Perhaps memories of the person I was repulsed me because of what Deres had done that first night. Perhaps it was having built some history with the new me. Whatever the case, when your spell touched me, I got to choose the person I would be and the life I would live. And all I could think of was that I had to do anything to avoid being Drexa. In every way, I am where I wish to be. I owe her for my clarity that is now mine and not solely the product of magic.”

Neral rose and extended her hand. “Come. It is a lovely day and we should not waste it inside.”

She took it and they went to the garden entrance and stepped out into it to find Deres watering some of the plants in the garden, in this case, flowers with vibrant orange and brown oval-shaped petals the size of the palm of a hand as he spoke to his mother. The sun brightened her golden hair and her form-fitting, dark blue peasant dress seemed to shimmer.

“You do know that we pay people well to do that, do you not?”

I do. But I like doing it.”

“Mother, hello.” Neral closed the distance quickly and wrapped her arms tightly around Maylin.

“I assume I am still invited for a proper visit?”

“You are invited as you please. I trust all is well at home?”

Maylin stepped back after embracing Bryana as well. “After a fashion. It took some time for the fallout from Drexa to resolve itself. There was no shortage of embarrassment as Xern and Tebia informed them of the glyph.”

“Frightened at how close their apathy came to killing them all?”

She nodded to Deres. “You know them, they did not couch it in that way, but they were keenly aware that they owe there lives to three mages and a group of outlanders, some of whom did not return.” She thought back to several of the meetings and she still flushed in anger. “Of course some tried to simply credit the mages. I did not allow it.”

Bryana wandered towards Deres. “And what about what I’m sure truly concerned them?”

Maylin didn’t need her to elaborate. “That spell that Drexa came up with to enhance her attack on Adar? I know nothing of it.”

After a pause, she continued, meeting Neral’s eyes. “At any rate, I wanted you to know that there are many in Adar who know of and honor your sacrifice.”

“Thank you. It means much to me and will to them. We have discussed it at length and, I assume that you or one of mine can bring us back to that place when we choose? Those that gave their lives did so far from home and it is our wish to return annually so they are not forgotten.”

Deres shared her pain. “Any time you wish,”

“I shall tell them.” Neral clasped her hands together. “Now that that is settled there is no time like the present to teach you to ride.”

Maylin winced internally, “I didn’t think you were serious about that.”

“I have had some of my best talks with those I love and most serene moments of my life on the back of a horse. By the time I am finished, not only will you know how to ride, you will love to do it.”

She was thoroughly unconvinced. “And if I fail miserably?”

She shook her head with a smile and a glance to see Bryana and Deres with their arms around one another. “I cannot imagine that a woman who stands as a magister of Adar and could raise a man such as mine would fail at anything. But...if you do, good memories will be made all the same.”

Neral was so looking forward to it because she knew that it was in the making of memories that family was built and forever sustained.

End.