The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Assert Yourself

(MC, MF, Ff)

Disclaimer:

I wrote this. This is an original work of fiction, bearing little to no resemblance to reality. This is neither intended nor recommended for minors, the faint at heart, or forums/areas/locales where such depictions are proscribed, censored, or illegal. This has been posted with the kindly aid and permission of Simon bar Sinister, who also correctly notes, “The situations described here are at best impossible or at worst highly immoral in real life. Anyone wishing to try this stuff for real should seek psychological help and/or get a life.” Please do not repost, publish, or distribute in whole or in part without the author’s explicit permission. Other stories by this author and many others may be found at MC Stories.

Author’s warning: This is more ‘story’ than ‘heat’. Anyone looking for something racy should look into “Pretty Please” or “Talk”, coincidentally also by me.

Week Zero: A Day in the Life

Mina stared at the unfeeling screen blearily. Green numbers flashed as the real-time spreadsheet updated, then resolved. The totals under two columns paused as if looking at each other, then flashed amber. Mina’s hand went to her head, cradling it for the umpteenth time against the headache building there.

Still doesn’t add up. Damn it… She looked at the desk clock, silently reporting the time as 6:48PM. All day on this stupid thing, and still nothing. She wanted to cry.

With a heavy sigh, Mina pushed herself away from her desk, powering off the terminal without another glance. One look, and she’d be at it again, trying to de-tangle whatever knot the Jenkins account had gotten itself into. As she stood, she self-consciously brushed at the coffee stain marring her cream-colored blouse, the aftermath of a collision with her boss in the elevator this morning. His eyes had lit up as the scalding beverage soaked in, trying to think of a way to feel her up while pretending to sop up the mess. Unfortunately for him, the elevator was half-full of witnesses. His trademark scowl resumed, and a gruff, “Sorry. Take a few to clean that up,” sufficed for an apology, insofar as he was concerned.

What else can go wrong today? Heck, this life? Mina wondered as she rode the elevator to the dark parking lot. Mina kept glancing at the security camera, as if to catch it looking at her. It stared back, impervious to her charade. She gave it a hopeless grimace, then looked down, ashamed to reveal her feelings even to it. Probably some guard laughing into his pastrami right now, she thought. As if anyone would want to watch my pathetic life take its pathetic course. She stepped into the lobby with a last backward glance, buttoning her coat as she braced for the chill night air outside.

Five minutes later she was back, swiping her biometric card to regain access. The car her mechanic had assured her was just fine now refused to start, coughing a few times before giving up with an aching shudder. The elevator doors closed on the hem of her dress, tearing away a strip before she even realized it was caught. Mina slumped in a corner until she reached her floor.

As she’d expected, there wasn’t a taxi to be had for two hours, this time of night on a Friday. Unfamiliar with the local bus schedule, Mina scurried to the elevator again, sweeping her dress out of the way of the ravening doors. The elevator hummed as it began its descent.

“This is my life,” she said aloud, beginning to cry. “All that I am, you can see today. Everything that just happened is my life in a nutshell. My worthless, stupid, boring, piece-of-shit life. I’m pathetic, and nothing’s ever going to change. God, I hate my life.” With that, she began to sob, her shoulders wracking in the utter humiliation of it all, of being her. She dashed from the building in a doomed attempt to catch the next bus, pulling away from the curb. She eventually managed to catch the 8:33, but not before breaking a heel.

Behind her, the elevator didn’t close right away. The camera tracked her progress until she was out of sight, then returned to a standard sweeping pattern. It had done its job.

High up on the twenty-third floor, surrounded by a bleeding-edge computer center, someone had noticed Mina’s breakdown. Had watched her for some time, patiently observing without interference until now. Deep inside the building, a decision was made, and someone stirred into action.

* * *

Week One: An Unexpected Gift

Mina raced to her desk, shucking her coat as sat to log onto her desktop computer. The implacable clock read 8:37, its silent accusation burning more red into cheeks still cold from the gusting winds outside.

“Welcome back, Mina-mouse,” Janet commented, filing a nail at the desk across from her. “Good weekend?”

Mina was saved – if that was the word – from having to reply by the sudden appearance of her boss, Jim Mackland. “I’m so sorry, Mr. Mackland, my car–”

“You’re late,” he groused, tossing down a six-inch high stack of folders. “These need a going-over by lunch,” he told her, “And I’ll have some typing for you by then, Mina-mal.” He turned on one foot and strode towards his office without waiting for a response. Mina watched him go, his pausing at his executive assistant’s desk on his way to his office. “Chrissy, come with me,” he told her in a slightly more normal tone. “I want you to… take some dictation for me.”

Chrissy giggled and stood on platform sandals, manicured hands smoothing out her pleated knee-length black skirt. Mina watched her take her purse and follow him, all girlish enthusiasm and bubbling chirpiness. Her fuzzy pink sweater was at least a size too tight, and her platinum hair had been mercilessly teased out. She snapped her chewing gum as she closed the door, drawing the blinds after a moment. She hadn’t taken a pad or pen with her. Mina sighed.

“You know, if you dressed like that, maybe ol’ Jimbo wouldn’t be so hard on you,” Janet remarked, inspecting her work.

Mina looked down, ashamed to have been caught thinking unkind thoughts. “Oh, no, I…” She gulped. “I could never wear something like that.”

“‘Course not,” Janet sniffed. “You don’t have the figure for it. Still,” she continued, ignoring her coworker’s flush, “You might at least try to be friendly to the old bastard, once in every so often. It’d make your life a lot easier.” She gave Mina a telling look. “Trust me.” She went back to filing her nails.

Mina didn’t know, and didn’t want to know.

* * *

Morning came and went, and Mina scrambled to keep up with her assigned tasks. Jim had emerged from his office after twenty minutes, followed by a breathless Chrissy. He’d made a beeline to Mina’s cube and thrust a handful of paper at her before leaving, his crabbed handwriting indecipherably spidering across the pages. She’d tried to ask him about the Jenkins account, and gotten a gruff response. “I don’t pay you to complain, Mina-mum. You get paid to fix problems.”

Mina-mum. One of the many nicknames Mina had been labeled with, and probably her least favorite. Luckily, Janet had left an hour early for lunch, so wasn’t around to offer her usual acerbic commentary on Mina’s latest embarrassment. Shoulders slumped, she went back to her work, tension written in every major muscle group.

So intent was she on her work that she didn’t notice the mailroom delivery until it was too late. Lukewarm coffee splashed across her work area, blurring the already barely-readable scrawl she was typing from. “Ah. Sorry, dude,” the mail guy offered uselessly. “That cup was, like, right in my way.” Mina looked at the brown sludge pooling across her desk and said nothing. “Ah, here, this is yours, babe.”

Numbly Mina took the brown paper package from his hand, unable to meet his eyes. By the time she’d mopped up the spill with a wad of tissues, he’d disappeared, escaping any possibility of taking responsibility. Face pinching in defeat, Mina read the label incuriously.

Isis Enterprises. What is this? She tore open the package, wondering who had sent her something, and why.

It only took a few seconds to understand. “Assert Yourself! Unleash the Inner Bitch! Be the Best You You Can Be!” the package boldly proclaimed. Several CDs lay neatly within, offering a range of music and numbered for reference.

Assertiveness self-help CDs. According to the back, subliminal words of advice and encouragement would whisper to her, showing her how to take command of her life in a few short weeks, money back guaranteed. A better, brighter future was just an hour a day away.

Of all the cruel, demented… Mina put her head down and cried silently, the box lying open and untouched on her desk.

* * *

At home, Mina hung up the phone lifelessly. The mechanic had explained, patronizingly, that her car’s problems were complex, expensive, not covered under warranty. On the plus side, he could get the parts he needed in under two weeks… probably.

She looked at the uneaten TV dinner, appetite long gone, and considered turning in early. Over-sleeping was a symptom of depression, she knew, but at least nothing else would go wrong for a few hours. How nice it would be, just to blank everything out for a while, to escape the world and everything in it…

The only problem was, she wasn’t tired yet. Casting about for options, her eyes fell on the CD package, that horrible joke from the office. She’d stuffed it in her purse to deny the perpetrator the satisfaction of seeing it, and put it out of her head until she’d gotten home. Now it lay there, mocking her inability to ignore the insult. She stared at it, trying to will it away. Predictably, it was unmoved. “Fine,” she told it. “Couldn’t be any worse than watching TV.” She popped the CD into the stereo and threw herself onto the couch.

Surprisingly, the music was all right. Mina had been expecting some kind of sugar-free jazz played over a smarmy con man’s voice. Instead, the first song was a Miles Davis standard, the speaker barely audible. Intrigued, she played with the stereo dials until she could make out the words.

“…the most important thing to realize now is, change is possible. You, and you alone, own your life. That is your blessing and your curse. We all live the lives we make, but few ever really see it. Some don’t need to, and if you’re one of those lucky few, congratulations, and give this course to someone who could use it. But if you’ve ever wondered why nothing seems to work right… wondered, ‘how did I end up here’… despaired at the thought of another bleak day, and done it anyway because there’s nothing else… then I’ve got the right person. Change isn’t easy, and it sometimes isn’t much fun, but you know the alternative. It’s waiting for you at work, at home, right now, every day of your life: that unfeeling, suffocating half-existence. Your depression is a good thing in one way: it means you haven’t given up yet. And if you’ve kept hope alive this long, you’re a survivor. My job is to show you how to move past merely surviving, and to show you how to start living for yourself.”

Weird,, Mina thought. I was expecting a hard sell, the meaning of life or something. This is more like listening to a counselor than anything…

“Suspicious? Good. Keep that skepticism; it’s the hallmark of a healthy mind. Now, check the price tag on the box. Notice you’ve paid little more than it cost me to make this. You may have even gotten this for free. Either way, it’s obvious I’m not in this for the money. So why am I doing this? It’s easy; you know it as well as I do: no one should have to feel the way you do right now. I’ve been there, and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. And knowing I might help just one person keeps me going. That’s my motivation.”

Mina found herself nodding along. He’s honest, if nothing else. Maybe…

“So now you know. This recording works best subliminally, but feel free to spot-check if you’re still suspicious. In fact, I encourage you to. Because in checking, you’re making a choice, and choice is the foundation of change… and life. So keep listening, or turn this off, whichever you think is best. Either way, the choice is yours, here as in life. Choose… and own your life.”

Mina stopped the CD and placed it back in the holder. She sat in the silence of her apartment, thinking. Deciding, she put the case back in her purse to listen to at work tomorrow; with a pair of headphones, she could play it on her PC and no one would know what she was listening to. What’s the harm? At worst, I’m no better off than before. Resolved, she went to bed without listening to another track, not wanting to get her hopes up for nothing. I’ll give it a try and see. That’s all.

* * *

If anyone minded Mina’s new habit of wearing headphones while working, no one mentioned it to her. Mr. Mackland didn’t look pleased, but Mina’s work was still, according to her most recent performance review, ‘adequate’, and it wasn’t loud enough to disturb anyone nearby. Not that he would have noticed; Chrissy was ‘taking dictation’ for him at least once a day now. The intern didn’t seem especially pleased with the increase in attention, but once she was finished, she was free to study for classes, surf the Web, or chat on the phone with her friends, so she accepted her daily meetings without complaint.

Janet had noticed first thing, of course, and naturally had something to say. “What’s this?” she asked, plucking the earphones from Mina’s head Tuesday morning. She’d listened for a moment before handing them back. “Oh. Crap jazz,” she said with barely concealed disdain. “My boyfriend’s trying to start a band. He’s getting…”

Mina had slipped the headphones back into place and nodded every so often to placate her, surreptitiously turning up the volume to drown out her coworker’s latest foray into self-absorption. By Friday, she’d discovered a nod once every half hour or so would placate the woman, and was able to listen to her CDs most of the day.

There was a lot of music on them; the first CD took two and a half days to get all of the way through. Every so often, words would filter up through her consciousness, welcome and reassuring.

”Confidence is essential. Don’t worry if you don’t feel it at first; confidence breeds confidence. Just act as though you own the day, and in time, you will…”

”…Humans are animals. You are, I am, everybody is. This can work for you, or against you. Remember that human interaction is a thin veneer of civilization pasted over thousands of years’ worth of instincts. By being conscious of reactions, both your own and those around you, you can clearly see what’s really going on. And to see is to know. Watch the little rituals unfold around the water cooler or at the stoplight. Then try to anticipate them. Once you know the script, you can improvise, and make others react to you…”

”…Be mindful of how you carry yourself. Stance, poise, body language fills in gaps of communication, sends messages people don’t even know they’re looking for. Confidence isn’t simply aggressiveness; hostility may be a useful reaction to provoke, but it’s too clumsy to rely on. Be seductive. Make every action sensual, arresting. The Inner Bitch is compelling because she encompasses the extremes: subtle and blunt, wild and composed, energetic and calm, forceful and delicate, powerful and yielding. Capture your audience’s arousal by hinting at your own. Arousal is interest and sexuality; interest gets their attention, and sexuality fixes it there. Self-assurance and grace are more erotic, more captivating that transitory beauty. Master your bearing, and every conversation becomes a seduction to whatever end you desire…”

A lot of it wasn’t anything she didn’t already know, just things she hadn’t known of for sure. The rest seemed self-evident, obvious once you thought about it. Janet never worked because she hated herself, and took it out on others hoping to see her self-loathing reflected in their treatment of her. Chrissy was just sleepwalking through life, hoping if she got through just one more day, it’d be over soon, and she could leave it all behind. And Jim… Jim was a tyrant, plain and simple, constantly fending off his fears of weakness by bullying those around him. It was as though Mina had been walking around with her eyes closed, telling herself they were open and too scared to try. Until now.

* * *

Mina glared at the now-familiar rows of numbers, still stubbornly refusing to add up. It’s hopeless. I’m just too stupid to figure this out… Staring at the glowing digits, she tuned out the jazz playing through her headphones, trying to pick out the barely-audible words.

“…Zen emphasizes mindfulness in all things. For any given task, focus the entirety of your concentration on it, doing only that one thing until you’re done. When driving, simply drive. When eating, simply eat. Distractions divide your attention, making you approach life fractionally. Believe in yourself. When you apply yourself entirely to a problem, the results can be stunning…

Mina chewed her lip, then forced her eyes to refocus on the screen. She looked intently, jotting a few numbers down as she double-checked the misbehaving columns. She looked at the number she’d circled on her notepad, elated. I’ve been doing it right all along. The problem isn’t with me. The numbers don’t add up right because… She exhaled, unaware until that moment that she’d been holding her breath. Because they’re wrong. Deliberately wrong. Stunned, she pushed herself back. Weeks of worrying, all because of a stupid typo… No. Not a typo. This is too well hidden to be an accident. Someone is cooking this account. She saved her results and stretched, pleasantly aware that she’d be going home on time for the first time in over two weeks.

I could report this. Once Jim knows… She shook her head. He won’t do a thing. He’ll insist I’m doing it wrong, and not accept any answer until they add up, regardless of whether or not they should. She stood and took her purse, more than ready to go. No one’s caught it so far but me. I’ll wait and see what comes up. The correct action at the correct time. Mina whistled as she walked away, her early departure unnoticed by all but the ubiquitous security monitors.

On the twenty-third floor, someone smiled. Everything was going exactly as planned.

* * *

Mina sat, setting the cheap plastic tray down on the table and preparing to eat a celebratory early dinner. The line had been long, the service perfunctory, but the food was cheap and fast. Burger and fries, she mused. Dinner of those who don’t want to cook.

She bit down, and almost instantly regretted it. The meat tasted like it’d gone bad before it was boiled, yesterday. The lettuce was almost the same color as the faded bun, and the most that could be said about the special sauce was that it stood out. Another spoiled meal. Just my luck to… Wait. This is exactly what I’ve been doing wrong all my life. Taking the scraps and smiling when I’m kicked. She stood, suddenly determined. I own my life. I don’t have to take this.

She stood up, arming herself with the questionable comestible, and got back in line, nervously waiting her turn. Finally she arrived, facing the youthful cashier. “Thank you for choosing Burger Clown, may I take your order?” the girl recited. Plastic hat, plastic uniform, plastic smile. Her braces glinted orange in the heat lamp environment.

From within the recesses of her mind, instructions welled up, guiding her. “This is terrible,” she told the girl. “I want to speak to a manager.”

The girl seemed unperturbed. “If you have a complaint about the quality of our food products, please feel welcome to fill out a consumer comment card located to the right.” She craned her neck, seeking out the next customer in line.

Mina took a deep breath. “No.” The words were already there, she just had to say them. Maintain eye contact. “I want to speak to a manager.” Pitch your voice correctly. “Now.”

The girl’s smile faltered. “Sh-sure,” she said uncertainly. “J-Josh? Ah, register three?” she called, unable to look away from the brunt of Mina’s eyes. “He’ll be right here, Miss,” she added in a hushed whisper.

“What’s going on? What’s the hold up?” Voices carried forward to Mina’s ears, and she almost quit. Ignore them. Sheep will always bleat away. Concentrate on the task at hand.

The manager looked almost as young as the counter drone, with a manager’s scowl creasing his face. “What is it, Jamie?” he asked, mentally preparing himself for another wrong-change bitching out.

“Uh, this lady, she…”

It was though she had an invisible advisor, coaching her inaudibly. Let your opponent show his position first. Bargaining is nothing but an age-old game of dominance and submission. “This… ‘food product’ is unacceptable.”

“There are consumer comment cards…”

“That won’t do.” Mina was resolute.

Josh looked at her for the first time, brain-cogs working to find a polite way to tell her that was her only option. The words died when he met her eyes. Something told him this was not someone to yank around; this was someone to cater to, or suffer the consequences. Spinal reflex took over. “Uh… of course not. But I can’t just… I mean, I’m sure your hamburger is…”

When in doubt, take command. Control the situation, control the man. Control the man, control the situation. “Here,” she told him, holding out the burger. “Try it and tell me that.”

Josh stared at hamburger, a sad piece of wilted lettuce spilling out over grey meat. “I’m sure I…” Her eyes stopped him again. Not cold, exactly, just… superior. Instincts older than Man told him that his best move was to do exactly what she wanted. He took the burger.

Mina watched as he took a tentative bite, chewed once. “This is…” he began, looking for a way to tell her it was just fine. His mouth closed, a puzzled look on his face. Chew, pause. Chew.

Josh spit the mouthful into the nearest trash can. “That’s awful. I can’t believe I just put that in my mouth.” Wiping his lips, he extended a hand to Mina. “If you’d come with me, ma’am?” He hesitated, looking grateful when Mina accepted his hand. “I’m… I’m certain we can compensate you to your complete satisfaction.”

“I’m sure you can, Josh,” Mina said, a smile stealing to her lips.

An hour later Mina drove home, supremely satisfied. Josh had refunded her purchase, then took her across the street for a steak and salad at his expense. He’d been so nervous about giving her his phone number that the scrap of paper had dropped out of his trembling hands twice. Mina had graciously kissed his cheek goodbye, fighting to not laugh aloud as lust, fear, and embarrassment raced across his youthful face. He would have done anything Mina had asked him to and thanked her for it afterwards, and they both knew it.

She was looking forward to the next CD.

* * *

After her success at the Burger Clown, Mina decided to put her training to a real test. She’d been dreading the call to her mechanic, and had put it off as long as she could. Now, armed with newfound vigor, she made the call, part of her quailing in fear, another part amazed at her boldness.

She listened as the mechanic gave a litany of problems he’d encountered, saying little until he wound down, quoting a price so absurdly high she had to restrain herself from laughing aloud. “I see,” she told him. Pause. Pitch your voice a little low, let it reverberate to the back of his skull. “That’s unfortunate.” She let him start to talk again, then cut him off as if what he had to say didn’t matter. Because it didn’t. “No, unfortunate for you. When your certified mechanics checked my car out a month ago, everything was guaranteed to be fine. So either it is, and you’re lying, or they were mistaken, in which case they need to rectify their error.” She paused, savoring his stammered protest. “I’m sure they did their best, but you’re not in the effort business. You repair cars, and people pay you to do so. Like me. My company gets paid to sue people, not to try to sue them. If we told our clients we’d do our best, then overcharged them for our failure to succeed, we’d be out of business in a week.”

She waited for a response, but none came. Stick, then carrot. Always give an enemy a way out. Your way out. “Of course, this is all speculation, at this point. If my car could be fixed by, say, tonight, I’d know that I was dealing with a professional, and I could pay with a sound conscience. And when the partners ask who was able to fix my car when things looked so bad, I would have a number to give them. What do you think?”

By the time she’d hung up the phone, she had every assurance that the car would not only be fixed, but also waxed, lubed, and tank filled, free of charge. Things were looking up, and Mina knew exactly why. She took the CD set home with her that weekend, and got through another whole CD before Monday morning.

* * *

Week Two: Plans

By Monday she could hardly wait to get to the office, eager to put her newfound lessons to work. What a difference a week made! On Saturday, the boy bagging her groceries had flirted with her all the way to the perfectly functional car, awkwardly but sincerely. He was so earnest Mina almost agreed just out of admiration for his bravery. And she’d discovered a new surprise just this morning: she liked herself. It seemed like such a small thing, to look in the mirror and feel good afterwards. Her critical eye hadn’t changed, noting a few extra pounds, hair in need of a cut, chin a little too sharp. But she no longer slouched where she stood, and the brown eyes in the mirror were steady, not furtive. Mina had looked in the mirror and been proud of herself, for the first time she could ever remember.

The shock of realization hadn’t worn off by the time she’d arrived. I didn’t just act more assertive, I am. She smiled at her reflection in the mirrored walls of the elevator, then on sudden inspiration, flashed a ‘thumbs-up’ to the ever-present security camera before striding away to her desk.

Mina nodded to Janet when the latter arrived, a full fifteen minutes after the hour. Going to don her headphones, Janet interrupted, starting what promised to be a lengthy ramble about something she’d seen on television over the weekend. Mina’s heart started to sink as Janet settled into a monologue.

Don’t be afraid to set boundaries, or to defend them. “Janet, I can’t do this right now,” Mina told her, as gently as she could.

Janet’s mouth snapped shut, surprised. “What?”

“Janet, I like you, but I’ve got a lot of work to do and I don’t have time to hear about what happened on some TV show I didn’t watch. We can talk later, maybe, but not now. Ok?”

A moment of tension stretched between them. Mina held her gaze steadily, no longer afraid to give offense. Abruptly, Janet broke it off, looking away. “So what, I’m boring you now?” she said, semi-hostile.

Yes. “I didn’t say that.” Don’t lie to save someone’s feelings. Honesty is rarely a bad policy, and you’re ultimately doing all parties a disservice in the name of a moment’s worth of fake care. “It’s just hard enough for me to work knowing you’re not going to, without resenting you for distracting me on top of that.”

As is to emphasize her point, Jim and Chrissy entered, going straight to Jim’s office and closing the door behind them. When Mina’s head had swiveled back, Janet had turned away, busying herself with something or other. Mentally shrugging, Mina put her replaced her headphones. Less than five minutes later Janet caught Mina’s attention, her hand waving tentatively in the air.

“I didn’t think anyone noticed. Or cared,” Janet explained softly. “Why didn’t you say anything before?”

Mina had a sudden urge to hug her. Been there. “I didn’t think you cared. And… I didn’t want to offend you.”

Janet seemed to accept that. “Thanks. For changing your mind, I mean.”

My god, Mina thought. It’s just this easy. Why doesn’t everyone do this? “Sure.”

“So, ah… got anything in that stack I could do?” Janet asked, a fragile smile on her face. “I think I might remember how to do my job. Maybe.”

“Uh, yeah. Here,” Mina said gratefully, handing her some files from her stack. Janet accepted them, wincing slightly at the weight of paperwork. “Thanks,” Mina told her. “Janet, I–”

A low grunt issued from somewhere, and both women turned towards it, somewhere behind Jim’s closed door. Janet closed her eyes, shaking her head, and Mina sighed. “Uh, Janet? They’re… fucking, aren’t they?”

Janet laughed. Mina realized she’d never heard Janet laugh before. “Why Mina! Such language! I’m shocked, really I am!” she teased. “But yeah, pretty much since Chrissy’s first month. Don’t know what position she’s interning for, but getting Mackland’s rocks off can’t be much of an education.” Another grunt came into the quiet office. “She deserves an ‘A’ for effort, though; I don’t think I could do what she’s doing. Ick.”

“Really,” Mina agreed, suddenly feeling very sorry for the girl. She didn’t always dress that way. I wonder whose idea that was? And just imagine spending a whole year banging that fat slob for a grade and a resume. Has she learned anything about her job at all? Does he even care?

“Well, you’ve seen how she dresses, and acts, lately. I hate to say she’s asking for it, but you’ve got to wonder.” Janet shrugged. “It’s not all sexual, I think. He sends her love letters through interoffice mail, flies her to Vegas and stuff sometimes, buys her stuff… I think he thinks he’s got a mistress, or something.”

“Mmm. Wonder what she thinks?”

Janet shrugged again and opened a folder, frowning at the documents inside. Mina slipped her headphones back on and turned her attention back to her work, troubled.

* * *

Tuesday went, if anything, better than Monday. A strange calm seemed to radiate out from Mina, and practically everything she turned her attention to worked out all right. Janet was actually pleasant to work with, too; her acidic sense of humor remained, but she shouldered her share of the burden without complaint, and Mina found actually liking her company. The office hummed along, more efficiently than ever before. Mackland, finding little to complain about, spent less time haranguing his employees and more time with his intern, to everyone’s relief but Chrissy’s. And slowly, Mina continued making her way through the self-help CDs, absorbing more and more as time went on.

Timbre of voice, body language, word choice… nothing should go unexamined. The details make the presentation. Know your worth, and nothing and no one can take it away from you…

Sometimes you’ll waver, lose confidence. That’s all right, it’s all part of the natural flow of things. So how do you get it back? Think sexy. Sex is a primal impulse, basic to every human. You are a sexual being. Tap it for the energy, the concentration, the control. Think sexy, be sexy. Make love to them with your body and mind. Seduce yourself, then seduce them, and you’ve got it…

You have many tools in your arsenal; use them all. Stand tall, especially when you don’t feel it. Act as though you own the next ten minutes with impunity, and your audience are merely spectators. Move as if you own the ground three meters out from you, and others are guests on your property… Lock eyes, not aggressively, but firmly. Note how many look away… choose a perfume that suits your task: musky for most situations, spicy for close-up meetings, fruity for subordinates, flowery for people you’re misleading.

…Assert facts; you can always update your stance, and being able to do so demonstrates flexibility and strength. Hold short meetings; most management people assume anyone who holds a meaning is doing something useful, especially if they don’t understand it… Assume authority unless there’s a good reason not to. Phrase requests as polite orders, and questions to superiors as tests… let your underlings see the Inner Bitch, but show them that she’s on their side. If they know you’re behind them, your confidence fuels their own. Now you have a team instilled with that elusive quality: loyalty. Always flirt a little…

* * *

“My God, I just had to get out of there.”

Mina sat up, curious. The women’s room was ordinarily deserted this time of day, but Chrissy’s voice gave Mina plenty of notice that she had company.

The door to the stall next to her closed, and Mina heard the girl sit, without the usual attendant rustle of clothing. “I can’t take much more of this. I just can’t. This whole sordid mess is all just…” her voice echoed against the tiled walls.

She must be on a cell phone, Mina realized. Must be nice to get paid for that.

“I know, I know,” Chrissy continued, leaning audibly against the stall wall. “I’m a whore, ok? A goddamned slut. I mean, I knew he was married, and I knew what was on his mind. I just never… God, I’m so stupid!” Pause. “He said he’d fire me, tell my instructor I came in late and screwed the janitors all day. Said he’d get word out so that nobody in the program would ever take me on. All I had to do was go down on him, just one time.”

Unlikely he could, Mina thought. Jim Mackland had less corporate clout than the night watchman, and as far as she’d seen, his golfing buddies were fellow losers in bad suits. But Chrissy had had no way of knowing that at the time.

“And like some dumb twat, I did. And then he had that on me. He told me, ‘Well, you did it last time… how’d you like to work your way up to an ‘A’?’” Chrissy made a spitting noise, and began to sniffle. “So now I’m his whore. I suck him, I fuck him, I play dress-up doll for him… oh, yeah. He’s got some kinda Fifties thing, likes me to dress up like I’m the sock-hop slut and play the oversexed bimbo. Once a week, then once a day, and now he’s got me… I don’t even wanna say. God, I’m so scared. He took pictures, actual Polariods; he shows them to me when I don’t act all happy to be with him.” Sigh. “I’m scared, I’m alone, and by now I’ve got no way out.”

A long pause. “I gotta get back now. I’ll talk to you later. Bye.” She sighed again, and began to cry quietly.

Mina waited, letting the girl mourn her innocence in peace. Finally Chrissy blew her nose and stepped out, taking stock of herself in the mirror with a heavy sigh. Then, in a voice so small as to be almost inaudible: “I wish I was dead.”

It cut Mina to the quick, instantly reminding her of herself not so long ago. She waited for Chrissy to leave before exiting, not wanting to give herself away. Chrissy’s a victim, Mina decided. And she’s in too deep to see any way out. But I do. A plan had already coalesced in her head by the time she’d reached her desk.

* * *

Janet’s coffee cup rocked on its base, vibrating from the near-miss of the bundle of mail. She looked up at the grinning mail boy, then at Mina, eyes questioning.

That’s it. Harvey had thumped mail on her desk almost every day for the last two years, heedless of whatever he disturbed, spilled, or knocked over. He seemed to regard it as a joke, one only he was getting. Mina was fed up, and more than ready to put a stop to it. Plus, he’ll do nicely for the plan. “Harvey,” she said, voice icily precise. “A word in the conference room, please?” She stood and left, leaving Harvey to follow whether or not he wanted to or not.

Harvey was confused, and more than a little afraid. He’d done his little ‘drop it on ‘em’ joke, just like he always did. But today no one had smiled. A minute later, Mina – ‘Mina-Mouse’, of all people! – was hauling him aside for a reaming. She closed the door and just stood there, not glaring, not smiling, just… waiting. Eerie.

“Uh, look, dude…” he started, trying to buy time. He needed this job, and the last thing he needed was a sexual harassment suit. “I didn’t mean… I mean, I didn’t think…”

“Right. You didn’t think. And that’s your saving grace.” Her voice cracked over Harvey like a whip, jolting him upright.

“Dude, no. I mean, yeah, but…” What did he mean? Heck, what did she mean?

“No, not ‘dude’. I’m a woman. And you’re a man, but I won’t hold that against you. I’m also a human, like you. And in a professional environment, that means you treat me like one.”

“Du- Mina. Ma’am. I’m… I’m sorry,” Harvey told her, eyes locked on the floor. He felt like he was in second grade. “It won’t happen again. I…” God, how do I get out of this? Harvey was beginning to sweat now, nervous energy pouring over him like a wave of heat.

Mina let him squirm a moment or two. Let them worry briefly. Some is good; too long and you create resentment. When you surprise them with kindness, it comes as a double shock. “We just want some courtesy. Consideration,” she said, her hand drifting to Harvey’s crotch.

Harvey’s eyes widened as the businesswoman began feeling him through his jeans, stroking him gently but firmly with a precise hand. “Uh… con- consideration…” he stammered, unable to look down. “I… see.”

Mina’s glossy lips bowed into a smile. Harvey wasn’t bad-looking, really, just off the board, dating-wise. Mid- to late thirties, and still delivering mail? The man’s personal life had to be a mess, and lacking in much companionship. All the better. Stick, then carrot. “Right. Like I said, I’m a woman.” She unzipped his fly with one hand, her eyes never leaving his. “And you’re… a man,” she continued, as if she pulled a man’s penis out of his pants every day. “So we should… treat each other well, yes?”

Harvey nodded jerkily, transfixed. Her hand started pumping now, languidly jerking the man off while he soaked in every word. It was amazing how easy it all was. Once she’d started, the rest just took care of itself. It was as if she was an actress, getting into her role, now as irritated worker, now as seductress. And in no time at all, he was in the palm of her hand, figuratively and literally.

“So if I’m friendly to you… and you’re friendly to me… then we all get along a little better.” Her insistent hand kept up its stroking, measured and controlled, and her eyes seemed to bore into his brain.

Harvey’s eyes darted momentarily to the door, but Mina had closed and locked it behind her. Ohmigod… this is crazy! She’s gonna make me come, right here! Why…?

“I want Mackland’s mail to come to my desk, first,” she purred, watching the man alternate from worry to guilty pleasure. “That’s not such an unreasonable request, is it?”

“I… uh, well, I shouldn’t… uhnngh!” Harvey exhaled as Mina’s soft thumb rode across the sensitive head of his cock, bringing him one step closer to orgasm. “I… sure, Miss… ah, Miss…”

“I’m glad we agree.” Mina stepped up her pace until Harvey began to pant quietly. He wanted to rock into her hand, but didn’t dare move for fear of breaking whatever magic held him here. All too soon, he groaned, the first pulse of his semen spurting across the floor. Mina slowed with him, eking out every last ounce until Harvey’s shoulders resumed their habitual slump.

“I’m looking forward to the mail, Harvey,” she told him, stepping to the door and unlocking it. “I’m glad we had this talk. And please, call me Mina.” She turned the knob, then paused, licking his semen from the back of her hand. “Perhaps we should do it again sometime.”

Harvey could only nod in response, and stood alone in the room, still hanging free. I don’t know what’s changed about her, he thought, but she’s definitely different. He zipped himself up gingerly, contemplating the last few minutes. And I think I’d do anything for her.

* * *

Mina let the packet fall to her desk and leaned back, satisfied. Not even half a day under her thumb, and Harvey had already proved his worth. A few minute’s worth of perusal through Mackland’s interoffice mail had uncovered the beginnings of a treasure trove. Such a simple thing, she mused. A two-minute hand job and I get the information I need, hand-delivered. A delicious thrill ran through her as she remembered Harvey’s face when he’d come, shame and gratitude mixed on his face. It had worked. She’d decided, followed through, and done it, with no guilt, no doubts, and no worries. Seduction didn’t have to be literal, but sometimes it was the best move. And a lot of fun, too.

Her hand had crept down as she thought, inching under her skirt to tease her nest in the quiet of the office after hours. She’d been wet since she’d closed the door on Harvey, and with everyone gone, no one would see her celebratory masturbation. Mina hadn’t played with herself in months, but now…

“Ah…” she sighed as a winnowing finger found its way home. Janet had gone from tormentor to comrade-in-arms, again with nothing but judgment and a little persuasiveness. A little more dirt on Jim, and he’s next. The IT guys may be able to help there.

“Mmmm…” Another finger joined its neighbor. I’ll decide what to do with Chrissy based on her. She can be with me, or go with her boss, it’s up to her. If she stays, though… she’s mine, as well.

“Ohhh… oh, fuck it,” Mina said aloud, chiding herself for her false modesty. Power was erotic, and power was headed her way. Soon enough, everything would come together, and for now, no one would see. She propped both feet on her desk and began masturbating with both hands, head lolling back contentedly as she brought herself to the first of a series of well-earned climaxes.

Off in the corner, a camera silently recorded every moan on tape, captured every nuance on her face until she left the building.

* * *

Week Three: Action

“All set?” Janet asked, visibly worried.

“Absolutely. Be ready if I need you, ok?”

“Will do; just call and I’ll be in there like a flash.” She watched Mina pick up the thick folder and pat it neatly. Mina had changed a lot in the last few weeks. You could hardly imagine her how timid she’d been, before… well, whatever. Now she exuded confidence, moved like a force of nature. Janet almost pitied Jim. “Good luck.”

“Won’t need it.” Mina smiled dazzlingly. “We’ve got might and right on our side.” With that, she marched into Mackland’s office without knocking, shutting the door behind her.

“Hey, she can’t just…” Chrissy began, confused.

“Trust me, honey,” Janet told her. “You want to leave them alone for a while.”

Chrissy started to argue, then quieted, staring after the door with a strange expression on her face.

“Mmh? What’s the meaning of this?” Mackland began, irritated.

“We need to talk,” Mina said, by way of preamble. “I’ve done some checking. Chrissy, Janet and I have had some of the lowest raise increments in this company for the last three years. Our performance reviews range from ‘good’ to ‘excellent’, and nobody has any complaints about our work. Why is that?”

“A raise? You’re asking me for a raise?” Mackland curled his lip as if something foul had lodged there. “Insubordinate harpies. You two are lucky I don’t fire you,” he hissed.

The burning between Mina’s thighs was comforting, warming without making her lose focus. Power is sex. “I’m not asking for a raise.” Mina dropped the thick manila folder onto his desk, her eyes calm as printouts spilled out. “Have a look.”

“This is…” Mackland began, flipping through the paperwork. Whatever he’d meant to say faded out as he began to recognize documents. Photocopies of airline tickets to Vegas for two, charged to the company account. Likewise the golf club membership. An awkwardly-penned love poem, spent mostly trying to rhyme ‘Chrissy’ with anything. He paled. “What…”

“”Misreporting time. Misrepresentation of assets. Underreporting of savings and over-reporting of expenses. Inappropriate hiring practices.” Mackland continued to page through the stack, seemingly in a daze. She smiled when he got to the report of his internet usage, porn site after porn site. She’d blown two guys in IT to get that report; she didn’t actually have to, but it’d been a lot of fun, and she’d decided not to stop with just one. She’d always thought of going down on someone as an act of submission; it was only when she knelt there in the air-conditioned server room that she realized otherwise. I’m in command of his pleasure. He comes how and when I say, and he won’t do a thing I don’t want him to until I’m finished. She’d resumed her work with gusto, gulping down their come with a grin on her face.

Stay focused. “Inappropriate use of web access, misappropriated funds,” she continued. “Percolation. Infidelity and sexual harassment. Embezzling. If upstairs saw this, the best you could hope for is to be terminated. Shall I go on?”

Jim raised his head, furious. “Blackmail, Mina? You’re blackmailing me?” He half-stood, rage overcoming reason, ready to throttle her with his bare hands if he had to.

Mina didn’t move a hair. “Try it,” she told him coolly, eyes burning into his. “One, Janet’s listening at the door, with Security on speed-dial. Two, I have backups. Any problems – at all – and they get sent to the CEO and the Times. And finally,” she said, without a trace of humor, “Lay one fingernail on me, and they’ll be picking your teeth out of the walls for a week.”

Jim stared back, bewildered, then sank back into his chair. Those eyes… it seemed as though she was draining the very life out of him with that icy stare, pinning him like a butterfly to a board. Every survival instinct told Jim that this was absolutely, positively the last person in the world to anger.

Mina watched her one-time manager deflate like a balloon. Now, bargaining, she predicted.

Jim didn’t disappoint her. “My job… can I keep my job? Please,” he whimpered.

Mina was prepared. “Maybe.” She regarded his submission pitilessly, remembering all the petty insults, the pointless busywork, the privileges he enjoyed from her hours of work. She opened the door. “Take the rest of the day off. I need your office for a while, and I don’t want you underfoot while I think about things. Out.” She jerked her head towards the outside world, dismissing him.

Mackland was only to happy to leave, practically tripping over himself in his scramble to exit – although not, she noted, without taking the folder under one arm. Let him squirm over that a while before I can his ass. “Oh, and Mackland?”

“Y-yes?”

“What’s the deal with the Jenkins account?” Mackland’s blank face told her all she needed to know. He’s clueless. It must be from higher on up… “Never mind. Bye, bye.”

So, it must be deeper than I thought,, Mina thought, seating herself behind Mackland’s desk. The plot thins, but isn’t revealed. She pressed a button on Mackland’s desk. “Janet?”

Janet’s voice sounded relieved, almost laughing. “Mina, hon, you ok? Jim just lit out of here like his feet were on fire!”

Mina smiled. “Couldn’t have gone much better, J, just like we planned.” Mina paused. She wasn’t looking forward to this part. “One loose end to tie up, though. Would you send Chrissy on in? I’d like a word.”

“My pleasure,” Janet piped, cutting the circuit. Mina leaned back, re-rehearsing the next, more painful confrontation.

Let’s see what Chrissy has to say.

* * *

Chrissy sat down, fingers nervously toying with the buttons on her slightly too-tight cardigan. Legs crossed tightly, she fiddled away, looking at Mina, then darting her eyes furtively around the office, as if trying to see where Mackland had gone. The silence dragged on and on, Mina peering calmly at the increasingly agitated girl.

Finally Mina spoke, voice measured. “I’m waiting, Chrissy. Do you have anything to say for yourself?”

It was as though a dam had burst. “Oh god, am I fired? What’s Jim… what am I… what’s going on? I did it, we did it, we were screwing, and he told me if I told anyone he’d fire me and I’d never work and oh god I’m so sorry I never wanted this. I didn’t have any choice, he said he’d ruin me if I told. Nobody would believe me and Alex broke up with me because I couldn’t do anything and I just…”

Mina nodded as the girl rambled, tears coursing from her eyes. Mina’s collectedness opened Chrissy up, an urgent outpouring fueled by months of secrecy. But Mina understood, she cared, and by the end, the intern was hugging herself, knees drawn up protectively.

“I see,” Mina said, as the sobbing girl wound down.

“You know everything, now,” Chrissy asked, head down, resigned to her fate. “Now what?”

“Now it’s up to you.” Chrissy looked up, and Mina went on. “Do you want things to continue this way, or do you want to do something about it?” She leaned forward, arresting. “You had an awful dilemma, and you chose wrong, as it turned out. Do you want to stick to that decision?”

Chrissy wiped her nose before replying. “I used to leave early every day,” she said miserably. Mina nodded, encouraging her to go on. “So I could shower. Every day, I had to shower, to get the touch of him off of me. I avoided him at first, but it went on. And lately, he’s been picking me up for work, too, so I can jerk him off on the way to work.” Her eyes glimmered in hatred. “I don’t want to live this way any more.”

“Good. You’re free, then.”

Chrissy’s face went from disbelief, to incredulous, to awed. Who is she? Mina seemed effortlessly poised, almost casual as she dismissed the nightmare from Chrissy’s life. “You… what did you do?”

Mina leaned back. “I put Mackland in his place. He won’t be with us much longer. But I hadn’t made up my mind about you until just now.” She allowed herself a tight smile. “If you’re willing to fight back, to retake control of your life… then there’s hope for you yet.” She stood and walked around the desk, leaning against it to lower the palpable tension in the room. “Go home. Take the day off, get some rest. Decide if you want to work here or not. Not under Jim,” she said, with a trace of malicious glee, “but me. I assure you, Mackland will not bother anyone here much longer.”

She leaned back a little, weight on her palms, pressing her thighs together to submerge/encourage the delicious tingle she was feeling. “If you choose to leave, I’ll report that you worked hard, and under difficult circumstances, and that no one wanted to see you go.” And it’ll be true. “You can tell them whatever you like about the why. Or,” she paused, letting her smile reach her eyes. “You can stay. You’ll be working for me, and you will have to work. Mackland didn’t teach you a thing, did he?”

Chrissy shook her head. “I thought not,” Mina said, sighing. “Well, we’ll teach you, and what comes after is up to you. Fly or fail, on your own merits, Chrissy.”

“Don’t call me Chrissy.” Chrissy’s voice dropped the room temperature by a few degrees. “It’s Christine. Tina to my friends. J-Jim liked the sound of ‘Chrissy’ better.”

She paused before unleashing another non sequitor. “I came, sometimes,” she said, not looking at Mina. “Sometimes, he made me come. I felt so dirty, so used, and when I came… I must have liked it, somehow. There must be some part of me that wants that toad in me.”

Mina shook her head. Better stop this now. “No, Tina. You came in spite of him, not because of him. Don’t let him mess you up.” She looked for the right words to say, but there weren’t really any. “I don’t do everything my vibrator tells me, and I like it.”

Tina laughed a little, the moment passed. “Yeah. You’re right. Thanks.” She stood and patted her short skirt self-consciously. No hose or anything,, Mina noted, She must be cold. “I’ll go home, but I think you already know what my answer will be.”

“I think so.” Good, Mina cheered the girl. Take the risk. Make it all worth something. “I’m sorry about your boyfriend, Tina. Maybe you should call him, if you think he’s worth it.”

“Boyfriend? I… Oh!” Tina wiped the obsolete tears from her eyes, laughing softly. “Alex. Of course, you wouldn’t… um. Alex is a girl. Alexandra, for long.”

Oh. Oh, dear…

But Chrissy was already speaking, leaning forward and down on those ridiculous high heels. “Thank you, Mina,” she whispered, then kissed Mina full on the mouth.

Oh, my… now this, I didn’t anticipate. This is hardly professional…. Mina stayed still for a moment, eyes widening, until she made up her mind. Ah, what the hell. She’s not my employee until tomorrow. And so she kissed the girl back, hesitant at first, rapidly recovering her balance.

“You don’t have to do this,” Mina told her several minutes later, when the two broke for air. “I’m not… I don’t expect anything from you but your effort.”

“I know. That’s why I want to do this.” She kissed Mina again, this time her tongue darting licks into Mina’s mouth. “Mina… have you ever… been with a woman, before?”

Oh, boy. “No,” she answered truthfully. Beat. “And I’m starting to wonder why not.”

She’s so strong, Tina thought. “Well, until tomorrow, you’re technically a coworker, not my boss.”

“True.” Do I dare do this?

Even now, faced with her first sexual experience, Mina radiated calm, an aura of fearlessness and power. I so want this woman. I don’t know if anyone’s ever turned me on this much “So… let me do this, for you. Let me thank you for changing my life.”

Mina hesitated for a fraction of a second. “All right.”

Tina was gentle and sincere, not to mention skilled, and Mina climaxed easier than she ever had before in the girl’s loving mouth. By the time the two had finished with seeing to each other’s needs and started dressing, nearly an hour had gone by.

“Not now,” Mina answered to Janet’s inquisitive raised eyebrow. She’d have to explain at some point, but for now she wanted to relax and enjoy the rest of her day, as well as finish up a few things. That went… well, she reflected happily. A little strange, but… well. Does this make me a lesbian, now? I’ll guess I’ll have to try it a few more times, to find out. And in the coming months and years, she and Tina experimented thoroughly.

* * *

Later

“Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.” Mina shook hands with VIP after VIP, modestly taking their praise as they left the spacious meeting room. Her presentation had been concise, relevant, and most importantly, short. Business was good, in no small part due to their efforts… and now, hers as well.

The queue slackened, then dwindled away, until only three people remained in the room. One was finishing some notes at the far end of the table, an unfamiliar face. The other face she knew quite well, and Mina beamed a genuine smile as he shook her hand.

“Damn fine work, Mina.” Victor Dallas, CFO, congratulated her heartily. “I can’t tell you how pleased I am. A meeting that makes sense, bearing good news, and short, to boot! I wish every meeting I had was more like this.”

“Well, good news always goes down easier, sir,” she demurred. “I just play with numbers.”

“Hrrumph! No false modesty, please. We both know how much effort you’ve put into this company since that ass Mackland left. It’s plain to see now, how much he was holding you back.” Mackland had ‘left’ under a cloud nearly three years ago. Rumor had it that his wife departed soon after. “I hear he’s trying to get a self-service car wash going now.”

Mina didn’t really know what to say, so she nodded agreeably.

“And I especially appreciated your… delicate handling of the Jenkins account.”

Mina suppressed an urge to tense up. The Jenkins account, her nemesis since she’d begun her rise to power. She’d never given up on untangling that mystery. When she’d mentioned it at the meeting, hoping to catch a guilty look, without success. Without a lead, she’d glossed over it, providing a believable explanation in hopes of flushing out the responsible party. And I may have just found him. “Oh?” she asked innocently.

“‘Oh’, indeed. It’s mine, as I’m sure you’ve guessed.” He was still smiling, but his candor was shocking… or would have been, to someone less resolute.

“I suspected, but I wasn’t positive. It had to be at least a VP, someone intimately familiar with the accounts and accounting system. You’re on the short list.” But near the bottom. Mina had never uncovered anything unsavory about Dallas, and not for lack of trying. He was faithful to his wife, straightforward in his business, lived below his means, and honest on his taxes.

“Well, now you know for sure.” Victor seemed to look for the right way to phrase what he had to say. “It’s a slush fund of sorts. An executive perk for myself and three others in the firm. An off-the-books pension plan, of sorts. Most companies have something similar, although it’s rarely discussed. And even more rarely discovered.”

He looked at Mina piercingly, then shrugged. “But I knew you’d figure it out, sooner or later. Cream always rises.”

“Yes, sir.” Wait for him to make the next move. A bribe? I can’t see him threatening me…

“I’m announcing my retirement at the Christmas party this year. I’ve been wanting to retire for years, but I couldn’t until I found someone who could take my place. Someone smart, someone with the brains and skill you need for this job. And I’ve had my eye on you for quite some time.” Victor sighed, relief on his face. “And now I can finally say I’ve found the right woman for the job.” He patted her on the shoulder, familiarly, but not patronizingly. “Keep up the good work, Mina.”

And with that he took his leave, leaving Mina glowing with exhilarated pride. CFO! And the one elusive mystery of my life solved at the same time. She sat easily in a plush chair, grinning. I think I’ve officially arrived.

A discreet cough broke her from her reverie, drawing her attention to the lone man sitting across from her. She’d forgotten all about him, and looked at him curiously. Athletic build, youngish, darkish blond… not much distinguished him from any other successful businessman she met every day.

Except for the eyes. Light blue, penetrating. Not staring, but radiating somehow, almost glowing with an inner light that she could more feel than actually see. Almost hypnotic.

“Hi. I don’t think I caught your name, Mr…?”

“Arduk. Mark Arduk. I’m a security consultant, sort of. Very impressive speech.”

“Ah. Thank you.” Except that you’re lying. We don’t have any security consultants. “And what brings you here, Mr. Arduk?”

“Call me Mark, please. My card.” He slid a grey business card across the slick table. Mina picked it up, surprised at the weight.

“Stainless steel. They cost more, but I figured they’d stand out more.”

It was an impressive card, Mina had to admit, with his name, company and phone etched into the surface. “Isis Enterprises,” she murmured. “That sounds familiar.” Where had she heard that before?

“I imagine so,” Mark told her dryly. “We’re not especially well-known, but we’ve done business before.”

“Really,” Mina said, trying to place it. It was on the tip of her brain, just out of reach… “And what’s your interest in me, Mr. Arduk?” she asked, stalling for time.

“Easier to show you than tell you,” he said. He didn’t move, but the room abruptly plunged into darkness, lit solely by the expensive presentation projector recessed into the ceiling.

“What?” Mina started.

The main viewer switched on, displaying an image six feet high and in living color. Mina was watching herself kissing Tina, wearing that fifties getup Mackland had forced her to wear back in the bad old days. Another screen switched on, and Mina swiveled to see herself on her knees in the server room, moving from one cock to another with a delighted expression. Another appeared on the left-hand wall, and there Janet and Tina took turns servicing Mina on the plush carpet of her new office last year. Then the right, where Mina pleasured herself in the supposed safety of the after-hours office. Oh, my God… The images began to cycle in turn, until the room looked like a pornographic multimedia presentation put together by an ADHD adolescent.

“Enough.” Mina’s voice rang out, precisely the pitch required to get maximum obedience. It was a voice that brooked no dissent at all. When the lights gradually came up, Mina was seething in fury.

Mark was unperturbed. “Isis Enterprises,” he said calmly. “Ringing any bells now?” He sat up, and the fractional increase in his attention almost knocked Mina from her chair with its intensity. “Heard any good CDs lately?”

Isis… the CDs! He can’t… I didn’t… “You,” she said dully, control returning with her surprise. “You sent them.”

“I did. And you’ve done very well by them, Mina. I’m quite pleased. Did you enjoy them?”

“I… yes. You know I did.” Nothing about him gave away any weakness, any flaw of character or will she could see. It was as though the man was made of will, unassuming demeanor aside. Had he not stayed behind, she never would have notice him. But now that she had… The creator of the CDs. That explains his… presence. Is this what I look like to other people? It’s like looking at the sun! “Thank you. It changed my life.”

Mark nodded happily. “As was intended. I went through a dark period, many years ago, and everything I learned in my climb out, I put into those CDs. All it takes is a mind sufficiently willing – and able – to take the advice to heart, and to reforge its path to one of its choosing. Courage, and determination, both of which you have in abundance. I congratulate you.”

Mina felt as if her bones were turning to jelly. “That’s you? On the CDs?” His voice did sound familiar, now. “And… there are others? Like us?”

“All too few. A few discover it on their own, after years of heartbreak and toil. Some learn from me. You’d be surprised how many people never get to the second CD at all.” He sighed, genuinely sad. “It takes someone special, and a lot of hard work.”

A moment of silence followed. “What… what do you want of me?” Mina asked, gently.

“I want to offer you a job. I don’t want you to quit here,” he continued quickly, before she could interject. “And congratulations on your upcoming promotion, by the way. But some occasional help would be appreciated. Some legal advice, from time to time, perhaps some financial assistance… but mostly, I want you to keep an eye out for more of us. Potential success stories, as it were. Are you game?”

“I’m game,” Mina replied unhesitatingly. “You gave me a life worth living.”

You did that. I just showed you a path to it, one I was glad you followed.”

One question emerged from the whirlwind of Mina’s mind. “Mark… you were watching me, all this time. I was miserable for years, without knowing why.” She took a deep breath. “What made you choose me?”

“This.” The lights dimmed abruptly, as if slaved to Mark’s will. The camera threw an image onto the wall, larger than life. Mina’s old self slumped in the corner of the elevator, hours late to go home. Her coffee-stained blouse was untucked from shabby-looking torn skirt, and she was bawling in heart-rending self-loathing.

“This is my life,” her then-self told the camera, eyes red and pained in misery. “All that I am, you can see today. Everything that just happened is my life in a nutshell. My worthless, stupid, boring, piece-of-shit life. I’m pathetic, and nothing’s ever going to change. God, I hate my life.”

Mina didn’t realize she was crying until Mark put his arm around her, magically moving around the table to comfort her. “It’s ok. I’ve been there too, Mina. And we both raised ourselves out of despair, and into ourselves.” And he held her until her sobs subsided, and she regained her composure.

It didn’t surprise her at all that she’d cried in front of him, feeling no shame or guilt at it. They were strong, and honest, and right with themselves – whether or not she cried had little to do with it. Indeed, a lesser person would’ve been too caught up in shame and insecurity to bring themselves to cry in front of a stranger. Mina dried her eyes with a napkin and smiled up at her benefactor.

“Thanks,” she told him. “I needed that.”

Mark nodded and sat down next to her. “My pleasure.”

That gave Mina an idea. “So… all you want is some help in continuing your work?”

“Basically, yes.”

Like looking at the sun. He’s so gorgeous. And he was, for reasons that transcended the physical. “But… that’s all?” Mina rose, and gracefully began to unbutton her blouse, secure in the knowledge that no one would disturb them.

It was the first time she’d seen him off-guard; by the time he recovered his tongue, she had already shimmied out of her skirt and was unclasping her bra. “Well… maybe not all, but… I thought… you’d become… I mean, I thought you were a lesbian, now, and I didn’t…”

“Oh, I am,” Mina told him sweetly, sliding onto his lap. “But with you, I’m bi. For you, I’ll always make an exception.”

And she did.

* * *