The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Becoming His Pet

Part VII: The Families

(MM DS BD EX HM HU MA MC MD SF)

Author’s note:

A big thank you to MonsterMash62, who gave many hours of invaluable feedback and editing.

This is a story primarily about control and submission—particularly mind control; and, secondarily, about sex.

Please favor me with comments of any sorts.

Chapter 29: Home for Christmas

As the semester wound down, Benji skyped his parents to ask if Evan could visit over Christmas. Jake and Linda, wanting to discuss some matters with both of them, agreed. But Linda was curious about Evan’s plans for Christmas; what about His Family? Benji explained that Evan would be with them in San Francisco—after the Pritchards came for a visit.

“Mom, Evan wanted me to ask you directly: if you prefer He stay at the hotel, He would understand,” Benji said when he called them on Thanksgiving. It was funny Benji would mention that, because the Pritchards had discussed that very question.

“No dear, that’s not a problem. Why would you even consider it?”

“Just because of propriety. That’s why Evan and i aren’t sharing a dorm room this year.”

Jake chuckled. “Well, remember, son, you have to walk past both our room, and Alex’s, to get to the guest room.”

A week before Christmas, Evan and Benji flew into Sacramento and rented a car to drive to Rio Rosa. This time, Evan didn’t bother to give Benji his wallet, and the boy’s keys were still in Columbus, locked in Beck’s room.

When He arrived at the Pritchard Farm, the greeting for Benji was exuberant; less so for Him. Later, over some beers—Benji had juice—the wedding plans came up. The Pritchards weren’t happy about setting the date as early as the following spring—even if it was after Evan’s graduation—because they wanted Benji to finish college. When Evan admitted He would almost certainly be relocating after graduation, they tried all the harder to argue for them to slow down.

“I assure you, Mr. and Mrs. Pritchard, My job after college will be very lucrative; Benji will lack for nothing.”

“That’s nice, Evan—but we want Benji to finish his education.”

“He will,” Evan responded.

“Where?”

Benji spoke up, but not before Evan gave an almost imperceptible nod—just enough for Jake to notice.

“Dad, i can’t know that till we settle somewhere.”

Jake fired another question at Evan. “Wait—I seem to recall Benji or you telling us you were pursuing an MBA—so what about that? Don’t you have another year at least for that?”

“Actually, Mr. Pritchard, when I graduate in May, I will have some more courses, but much less than usual. When I came to college four years ago, I had already earned some college credit; and I’ve been taking a heavy load every year. So I’ve already started on my Masters, and I’ll be able to finish that work next year while starting my new job.”

The more Evan spoke about Benji “continuing his education,” the more suspicious Jake became. But there didn’t seem anymore to say on the subject—for the moment.

“Mr. and Mrs. Pritchard, I guess I’ll just come out and say it, since no one else has brought it up. Benji and I don’t have any assumptions at all about what you, or My parents, will contribute as far as cost. We realize this is new to you, so…”

Mrs. Pritchard jumps in: “Well, we don’t expect you boys—I’m sorry, you young men—to assume all these costs…” Her voice trails off uncertainly when her eye catches that of her husband.

Mr. Pritchard took over. “You’re both in college. How do you expect to pay for a wedding—let alone making a life together?”

“Mr. Pritchard, My family is very well off, and I have a regular income from My family’s business. It’s not My family’s money; it’s Mine. In addition—well, as I’ve said, since I’m going to graduate top of My class next year, and have several very good options in a number of companies, even besides My father’s…well, there’s no reason to worry.

“And your parents are OK with this,” Mr. Pritchard asked.

“Yes, definitely. My parents have already said They are fine leaving the details to us. Frankly, these sorts of things don’t interest My parents very much. You’ll see that when you meet Them.”

“Well, it sounds like…you have everything under control,” Mrs. Pritchard said, a little tightly.

“What he’s saying, Linda, is that they don’t want our input,” Jake Pritchard said, his anger rising.

“No, Mr. Pritchard, I don’t think that’s fair. We want your input. But—”

Jake interrupted. “Aren’t you going to say anything, Ben? Or won’t He let you?”

“Yes, dad, i have something to say. Evan and i want to involve you; but, very honestly, we want to do it our way.”

“OK, like what?”

“Well…” Benji hesitated. he had grown accustomed to letting Evan do all the talking, and much preferred it. But he knew this was necessary for appearances’ sake. “Well, for one, no one’s going to give anyone away.” Mr. Pritchard chuckled a little bitterly.

“Also, we’re going to be married by a civil official.”

“What? Not by a minister?”

Jake laughed again. “Come on Linda, they’re right. Who would they get? For example, can you see Pastor Wright”—the minister at the Pritchard’s Baptist church—“doing it?”

“No; but couldn’t they get some other minister?”

“Well, that’s up to them. But the kind of ministers who are likely to do that sort of thing…well, that’s not my cup of tea. Not yours either, Linda, if you think about it. So I don’t see why we should press on that point.”

Linda thought about it, then asked, “So what do you have in mind?” Without realizing it, she was asking the question looking only at Evan.

Evan looked at Benji, as if to see if he would answer, then said, “Really just a simple civil ceremony, followed by a reception. My Father will My Best Man; and Benji has already asked his friend, Trevor, to stand up for him.

“We aren’t all that particular about the party, or how many people come; of course, we want a nice party, and Benji and I are both fine with anything you prefer in that regard. I think My parents would expect there to be alcohol, but that’s not a major issue, really. Things like flowers, decorations…” Evan shrugged.

Benji chimed in, “and we aren’t going to have any groomsmen—or bridesmaids!” Mention of bridesmaids, for some reason, prompted tension-breaking laugher all around.

“The question we wanted to ask you was this: do you have a preference about where it is?”

Evan nodded to Benji, who continued: “The thing is, mom, there probably won’t be a lot of folks from Evan’s family, probably just His parents and some other relatives. So, depending on how many come from our family, and from here…it might work to have the wedding somewhere near here—say, Sacramento—but whatever you want.”

After a short silence while the Pritchards thought about the matter, Jake nodded to his wife and then spoke.

“That sounds reasonable. Sacramento would be very convenient for us. So—it sounds like what we need to do is draw up an invitation list. And”—looking again at Linda—“I have to admit, I’ve been avoiding that. Ben, you need to realize, some of our family, and some of our friends, aren’t going to like this. Some of them already don’t like it.”

“I understand, dad.”

Of course, what neither Evan nor Benji chose to explain was that, after the more conventional wedding celebration concluded, the newlyweds, along with the Cortino Family and other members of The Race, would gather for “the rest” of the wedding. But, as far as the Pritchards, and other outsiders—even Trevor—this would simply be the “honeymoon.”

“Evan, if I offered to split the costs with Your parents, what would you say?”

“I’d say that was very gracious, and I’d be very grateful—but I’d feel uncomfortable; I want to contribute My share.”

“Fair enough. Then will you accept a third? The rest is between You and Your Parents?”

“I can live with that, Mr. Pritchard. Thank you!” They shook hands on it.

Over the next few days, with both Evan and Benji at home, Jake was able to observe both closely. Everything confirmed his worst fears, even if others didn’t see it: Evan was turning Benji into—in his words, “a puppet.”

Four days before Christmas, Evan was in the barn, spreading some silage for the cows. Sensing something, he looked up to see Jake Pritchard standing behind him.

“I’d like to have word with you, if you don’t mind.”

“Sure, Mr. Pritchard,” Evan said evenly.

“Evan, I see what’s happening between You and ‘Benji.’ When Ben told us about You and him, I laughed off the idea that You’d somehow taken control over him. But You know what? Now I’m not so sure. Actually—that’s not true; I am sure. I don’t know how, but You’re doing something to my son. And I’ll be damned if I’ll stand by and let You do it.

This was a conversation Evan had seen coming. The more time He and Benji were with his family, the more Jake was picking up on the truth of His relationship with Benji, and the more unhappy he was about it.

This was something He’d discussed with Benji early on; and He’d offered to use His Gift to influence the Pritchards. At first, He considered just causing them not to pick up on the whole situation; but sooner or later, they would need to come to grips with it; if not before the wedding, then after. Then, Evan offered to simply change their minds about such matters—but that was pretty invasive; as He expected, Benji didn’t like that.

That left two options. He could do nothing; or, he could go through with the plan He’d rehearsed several times for neutralizing Jake’s fury, without forcing him to think differently about Evan’s relationship with Benji.

As Evan tried unsuccessfully to reassure Jake, the moment of decision was drawing near. The one thing He wouldn’t do is lie.

Unable to deflect Jake’s anger, Evan said, “Mr. Pritchard, I don’t think we should be having this conversation without Benji.” At first, Jake objected, knowing that Benji will just parrot Evan; but Evan—shaking a little—pressed on: “Look, you’ve had every opportunity to talk to Benji on your own. I didn’t prevent it; I’ve never prevented it. If you really think Ben’s not being allowed to have his say, why don’t you want him to have his say now?”

Jake reluctantly agreed, and Evan went to bring Benji back to the barn. When Evan returned, Benji was walking very submissively behind him. Evan had decided not to conceal the truth any longer. While walking back to the barn, Evan communicated to Benji, mentally, what was going on, and what He would do. As He got to the barn door, Evan turned and lifted Benji’s face and met his gaze. Benji said, “i trust You Sir. Do whatever You think best. Whatever it takes.”

As Evan walked in, he was struggling to keep from shaking. He’d never had to do anything like this. With Benji dutifully behind him, Jake Pritchard got the message. But before he could say anything, Evan spoke, with a force in His voice He’d never used with the Pritchards.

“Mr. Pritchard, I suggest you sit down. I’ve got a few things to say that you deserve to hear. You won’t like them, but you will see that they are true.”

Jake paused to absorb that; then sat on one of the bales of hay.

“As I said, you won’t like this—but I’d appreciate all the same if you don’t interrupt Me.” Although He stated it as a request, His mind pressed just enough to make it a command that Jake obeyed. Then Evan sat, while Benji remained standing.

“I respect you enough, Mr. Pritchard, not to lie to you. Your instincts do you proud; you’re quite right about Benji and Me. I am his Master; he belongs to Me. Now there’s more that could be said about that, but most of it is My private business. Or, as you would say conventionally, “our” business. But it’s definitely not your business.”

“Benji, is this true?”

Benji waited for a nod from Evan. “Yes dad.”

“What did He do to you, son? How did this happen?”

“Dad, i told you; i fell in love with Him.

“You’re telling me you chose to become, what? His slave?”

“Dad, that’s not the word i’d use, but—yes, dad, i chose it.”

“To give all your choices, all your freedom to Him?”

“Yes dad.”

Jake stared, incredulous. Then something flickered in his face—a look of surprise, mingled with awareness—and fear. He turned to Evan.

“How did You…”

“It doesn’t matter, does it? As long as you can see that I did do it—that I can do it.”

“Oh my g-d…what are You?”

“Someone Who loves your son—and will have him, at any price,” Evan said, with a trace of menace in His Voice.

“Now, I don’t owe you this explanation, but I’m going to give it to you. I have the power to take what I want; but I never coerced Benji. That’s what he and I have told you from the beginning. And I say it again now.

“And while you can’t comprehend My ways, or how Benji can want this, the fact you must accept—you will accept, however much you hate it—is that Benji does want this! And he will have it.

“I will possess him, body and soul—in every way he can be possessed. He will be Mine. He’s already Mine to the extent that no one can take him away from Me. Not you. Not anyone. But there is something more I—and he—are looking forward to. It will coincide with the marriage.

“Look at your son. Take a good look. What you’re seeing, Mr. Pritchard, is not just arousal. It’s joy, radiating through his mind, his soul and his body. I do that to him. This is what he is. You don’t have to like it. But it’s a fact.”

At that, Evan snapped His Fingers, and Benji promptly knelt beside Him, with his hands resting on his legs.

A cold fury grew in Jake Pritchard’s face. “I don’t know who—or what—you are, but—”

“But nothing, Mr. Pritchard. “I’m not going to fence with you. This is simply a fact. How would you change it? Do you deny that Benji wants this?”

Jake didn’t answer.

“Answer Me,” Evan commanded.

“No, I don’t deny it.”

“Do you deny what I revealed to you? That Benji did, indeed, freely choose this?”

“No.”

“And do you really think you can stop this?”

“I…I don’t know.”

“Well, Mr. Pritchard, I’m going to tell you: you can’t. What you could do—if I allow it—is to make things difficult for Me and for Benji—frankly, pretty much only for Benji. But I assure you—and, you can feel it inside yourself, can’t you? You know it’s true: you cannot stop this.”

Jake didn’t answer; but something flickering in his eyes, the determined effort to keep a scowl on his face, betrayed all.

“Since you can’t stop it, your interference can only accomplish one thing: making the lives of others miserable. It won’t be Me; it won’t really, even, be Benji. Mainly it will be his mother, and his family. And I am not prepared to let you do that—especially to no purpose.

“And, by the way, there’s only one reason—one reason!—that this even matters to Me—because no matter what, I’ll have Benji, and Benji will have Me. But you and your family matter to Benji; and I want him to have you as well. That’s why all this matters to me. You understand that?

“So, Mr. Pritchard, here’s how it’s going to be.

“I don’t really care what you think of Me, but for Benji’s sake, I care that we be friendly. And I will have everything go smoothly from here on.

“So you can think what you like. But—” suddenly an idea occurred to Evan. “But right now, Mr. Pritchard, you’re going to go into a trance.”

Jake Pritchard’s eyes suddenly fluttered and his head drooped forward.

“Good. Now listen carefully, Jake. Are you listening?”

“Yes.”

“You know that I’ve been telling you the truth, don’t you? Not that you like it—but you know it’s all true, don’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Good. And it’s true, you don’t like it, do you?”

“No. I hate it.”

“That’s right, you do. And if you want, you can go right on hating it. But I’m going to give you a choice.

“Right now, I’m installing a ‘button’ in your mind. Not literally, but for all intents and purposes, that’s what I’m doing. A mental button. You won’t always think about it, but deep down, you will always know it’s there. When you come out of this trance, you’re going to remember I told you this. And you’ll know it’s true.

“That button is in your mind now—can you feel it?”

“Yes.”

“Yes, you can. Here’s what that button will do. If you press it, then that button will instantly—and totally—wipe away all the anger and hatred and fury you’re now feeling.

“If you press that button, it means your whole attitude toward Me being your son’s Owner and Master and Lord will change. You won’t object. You will, at that moment, and forever, accept it, not only that it’s true, but as a good thing. You will accept it—and be happy about it, because it makes both Me happy, and also the son you love.

“Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“But, you don’t ever have to press that button. As long as you don’t make any trouble, I won’t ever press that button. But you realize, right now, don’t you, that I can?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Good. So it means this. If you want to hate me, and hate what is happening between Me and your son, you’re free to do so. I’m sorry for that—but it’s your choice.

“But, what you won’t be free to do—after this moment—is to say, or do, anything that will interfere with My Plans.

“Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“It’s already happened: just now, you lost the power to speak any word, or show any emotion, or take any action, against My Plans. Didn’t you? Do you feel it?”

“I feel it.”

“Do you know it’s true?”

“Yes.”

“Yes. And when you wake up, you’ll remember all this. You’ll remember everything. But as far as your actions, your words, and any outward emotions, you will not oppose My plans in the slightest way.

“Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“Also, if you ever press that button, it is irrevocable. At that moment, the button will disappear; it will cease to exist. Once done, it cannot be undone. For one thing, once you do it, you’ll be entirely happy that you did—and you won’t even consider the alternative. Even if you could undo it—which you can’t and won’t be able to—you wouldn’t even want to; just like Benji, even if he could break free from Me, which he cannot, he does not want to. Not even a single atom of Benji wants to be free of Me. And once you push that button, not even an atom of you will want it to be otherwise.

“Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“Do you doubt in any way that all this is true?”

“No. I know it’s true.”

“Very good. One more thing. If you ever push that button, you will know that you did. You will remember, if you wish. And, if you wish, you will be able to tell Me, and Benji, that you did so. No one else will ever know or understand, but I will, as will Benji. Understand?”

“Yes.”

“Now wake up!”

Jake slowly woke up. He lifted his head; shook it; then suddenly jumped to his feet. Then he looked around uncertainly, as if he was standing for the first time, and trying to see if he could keep his balance. In a sense, that was true: because his whole inner equilibrium had been altered, and he was establishing a new balance.

Evan waited and watched. While He knew His commands would work, He couldn’t entirely predict all the secondary effects they might have. He watched to see how clouded or conflicted Jake Pritchard might be.

Jake looked around at the situation. Evan was standing, but Benji was kneeling, still deeply aroused, his face filled with joy as he gazed up at his father. Jake walked over to Evan and offered his hand. “I see that You love my son very deeply; and he loves You as much as he can love anything.”

“That’s true, Mr. Pritchard.”

Jake glanced toward his son, then paused and looked back at Evan.

“Thank you—but until I take him into My Home, feel free to talk with him as before.”

Jake nodded, and walked over to his son, who stood up. “I love you, son. Above all, I want your happiness.” He wrapped his arms around Benji, and pulled him close.”

“Thank you dad. I am happy.”

“I see that.” Giving his boy’s shoulders another strong squeeze, he released him. Then he looked back at Evan, and slowly nodded. With a toss of His head, Evan gestured for Benji to come to Him. Benji scrambled over and knelt beside Evan, and pressed his head against Evan’s thigh.

Without a word or any visible reaction, but just a nod of resignation, Jake Pritchard walked out of the barn.

Evan remained very still as he breathed very hard and felt himself shaking all over. Despite His remarkable powers, He was still only 22; He’d never had to confront anyone like that in His life. As He thought about it, He was astonished by the emotions He’d felt; He was grateful His Father had taught Him self-control; or else He might have taken action He’d regret.

He wasn’t really angry at Jake Pritchard; He couldn’t blame him, but He also couldn’t let things go as they were. He was just glad it had worked, and now—with His beloved boy at His side, He waited for calm to return. Then He led Benji back to the house, and they each went to bed.

Chapter 30: Some Christmas surprises

Getting up the next morning, Evan decided the day after His confrontation with Jake might be a good time for Him, and Benji, to be scarce. He used the excuse of needing to do some Christmas shopping, which was true. Benji used the same excuse, but also to see friends, Trevor above all; he’d just gotten back the night before.

“Do you need any money,” Linda asked Benji before they left.

“No mom, remember how I was saving my money last summer? I’m fine.” He didn’t mention that he’d turned all that money over to Evan; and Evan, in turn, had decided how much money Benji could spend, and was going to give that money to Trevor to handle for Benji. That way, Benji could buy something for Evan and have it be a surprise.

So Evan drove off with Benji, dropping the boy off with a kiss, after handing Trevor a debit card for Benji to use for shopping. Then He head off on His own errands.

Trevor and Benji drove in Trevor’s pickup out to the mall by the highway; Benji had done his homework on his Christmas list—under Evan’s guidance—so he was going to be able to get what he needed fairly easily. But in addition to this being a way the friends could spend time together, Benji wanted Trevor’s help on Evan’s gift; and Trevor wanted Benji’s on what to get several people.

As they drove, Benji noticed Trevor wasn’t talking much. “Anything wrong?”

“No, buddy; just thinking.” Benji didn’t ask what about; he assumed it was about their shopping task.

Later, in the mall, as the friends were mostly through their lists, Benji still wasn’t sure what to get Evan. Then Trevor had an idea; when he told Benji, he loved it; “but do you think Evan will like it?”

“I would if I were Him. I’m sure He will.”

After making a couple more stops, both to take care of Benji’s gift, and to get the remaining items Trevor needed, Trevor dropped Benji back home around two. “Sorry buddy, but I’ve got some other folks to check in with. But I’ll see you right after Christmas!”

He meant the plans he and Evan had made for them, and Benji, to get together the day after Christmas. It would be the first time all three were able to spend time together.

Come Christmas Eve, the Pritchard house was reasonably peaceful. Although there were moments when Evan thought he saw something just a little wistful in Jake’s face, overall he was friendly and in a good mood. One thing he noticed was how affectionate he was toward Benji. When Benji was happy, Jake seemed to be as well.

At dinner on Christmas Eve, the other two brothers, Buck and Chris—along with their wives and children—finally met Evan. Because the sons would be visiting their in-laws the next day, Christmas Eve was when the Pritchards would have Christmas. Alex was also there, introducing his girlfriend, Brooke, who Benji had met over the summer, but the older brothers had not.

Having a new face, who no one had any objections to, went a long way to take the edge off of the tension, especially with Buck, who had made it clear to his parents, and to Benji, how much he disapproved of Benji’s relationship with Evan. Back during the summer, right after Evan proposed, Benji had called Buck and Chris to tell them. Both had been shocked, but Buck was the most angry. He’d been pretty harsh, telling Benji what he was doing was evil. And while he said he’d always love his brother, he couldn’t have anything to do with the “so called wedding.”

Chris was pretty uncomfortable with it, especially because his wife, Ann, was of the same mind as Buck. But he wasn’t inclined to shout about it; and he was agonizing over what to do about the wedding, being pulled in both directions.

So it proved fortunate that the big meeting with Evan had been so long delayed; by Christmas Eve—so many months after the shock had worn off—Chris managed to be polite, as did Buck’s wife, Ainsley, who didn’t feel strongly, but didn’t want to argue with her husband about it. Buck, in turn, simply avoided Evan as much as possible—but managed to keep his cool. Chris’s wife Ann said almost nothing to either Evan or Benji.

After dinner, the plan was to open the presents; but it took awhile to gather everyone, especially the grandchildren. And for some reason, neither Alex nor his girlfriend could be found.

That’s when they came in, faces aglow, and Alex announced: he’d proposed, and she accepted!

That delayed the gift-giving further, as kisses and backslaps were exchanged instead. Jake stole into the kitchen and found a bottle of champagne he’d put in the fridge some time ago. It would have to do. It wasn’t that great, but it didn’t matter.

Finally it was time for gifts. Linda and Jake spoiled their five grandchildren (three by Buck, two by Chris) with toys their parents good-naturedly rolled their eyes at. Lots of gifts were exchanged, including some extra Linda had tucked under the tree for Evan and Brooke.

But two gifts are worth noting. First, Benji’s gift for Evan; a locket with his own picture inside. What made it special was that it really was a locket—meaning it had a key that went with it. Evan was touched, and really wanted to kiss His boy; but realizing the older brothers, with their young children and long drives home would have to leave soon enough, He decided to save His kisses for later.

The other surprise was a gift for Benji, from his father. When Benji opened it up, he just stared. Linda, looking over to see what the small box contained, was puzzled. “Is that from the hardware store?” Indeed it was.

It was a button—a doorbell to be exact. When Benji swiveled and looked to his father for an explanation, Jake simply said, “I’ve made my peace. I don’t need it anymore.”

The next day, Christmas, brought a huge breakfast; but almost everyone was still up early, because the cows don’t celebrate holidays. Alex’s girlfriend had stayed over, with Alex taking the couch for the night.

Since the family Christmas had been the night before, Jake and Linda decided to accept an invitation to drive south to visit some of Linda’s family. Evan, Alex, Brooke and Benji stayed home and spent some time together—and after Alex and Brooke left to visit her family came time for Evan and Benji to be alone. Before a roaring fire, Evan gave Benji the kisses he’d wanted to give the night before.

* * *

The next day brought the trip to Lookout Point that Evan and Trevor had planned. The plan was to head up to Lookout Point, build a fire, eat and talk. Since it was a special occasion, Evan let Benji have a few sips of beer, but otherwise got him back on his diet with vegetarian pizza.

On the drive up to the point, Trevor asked how Benji’s training was going. Benji had described most of what he was learning about being a boy, but only mentioning that the lessons came from Evan and a friend of His. “Spending most of the day naked, huh? That’s very cool. How’s that feel now?”

“Tell you the truth, Trevor, the past few days have been weird, being back in clothes. Basically—i’ve had to pretend…being human.”

“Heh—that’s exactly right boy; sounds like you’re doing great.” When Trevor made a point of patting Benji’s head, Benji thanked him.

“For what?”

“For treating me this way; i know we’re friends, that won’t change. But it means a lot you letting me be…”

“Inferior? Sure, pup—that’s what you are. you’re happy; Evan’s happy; and I’m happy for both of you. I know people can’t accept these things, but with me, you can be yourself.” This time, he rubbed Benji under his chin.

“Yes Sir.”

Trevor laughed. “Damn, who’d’ve guessed I’d be driving out somewhere with my best friend, he’d have a big honking erection, and I’d be just fine with it? Crazy world!”

By the time they had the fire starting, Evan pulled up. He’d gotten some pizza and wings and some bags of chips; Trevor already had some drinks. One of the pizzas was vegetarian for Benji; the one for Evan and Trevor had meat on it. Although He’d allowed Benji to go off his diet while at his parent’s home—it would have been awkward to stick closely to it—He wanted to keep Benji as much on his plan as possible. Trevor and Evan cracked open beers, while Benji had juice. Evan offered Benji a wing, but he politely declined.

“Dude, you used to love those things,” Trevor said, helping himself. “Yes, but i’m losing my taste for them,” Benji answered. “I almost never eat anything spicy anymore, anything fried, and not much meat.”

“What’s that for, if you don’t mind me asking,” Trevor directed to Evan.

“Oh, My boy didn’t tell you?” Evan grinned, then nodded to Benji.

“It…it makes me…um…taste better.” When that didn’t register, Benji continued, “you know, my…when i…” Then Trevor got it and he laughed and clapped at that. “But I thought You were waiting,” he asked Evan.

“I am; but the boy has to get used to it.”

At one point, Evan looked over at Benji, and asked, “you’re probably uncomfortable with all those clothes, aren’t you boy?”

“Yes Sir, i am.”

To Evan, Trevor said, “I have an extra blanket in the truck”—while the Superiors were sitting in chairs, Benji was on a blanket.

“You don’t mind?” Evan asked Trevor, who shrugged. With a toss of His Head, Evan sent Benji to fetch it; then told Benji to take off as much as he liked, just keeping his underwear on.

Trevor and Evan did most of the talking. Not just about Benji’s training, and the wedding, but about football, Trevor’s year at Arizona State—all the usual subjects.

When Benji hadn’t said anything for a bit, Trevor looked at him and said, “what’s on your mind, Ben? You have a curious look on your face.”

“To tell the truth, that’s kind of what I was going to ask you. The other day, when we were shopping, you seemed, I dunno, kind of down at times. And that wasn’t the first time—I thought I picked up on something the last couple of times we talked on Skype. But, tonight you seem back to your old self.”

Evan and Trevor exchanged smiles; then Evan leaned over and kissed Benji.

“What was that for?”

“For you being so smart—just as I always say you are.”

With a puzzled look, Benji glanced at both of them. Then Trevor spoke up.

“Buddy, you’re pretty sharp. Yes, I have been down lately, but I’ve been trying really hard not to let you see it.”

Benji glanced at Evan; he realized he had permission to speak freely.

“But, why, Trevor? We’re best friends; you can tell me anything.”

“I know, but—this was different. It concerned you and Evan; I didn’t want this to interfere.

“The truth is, Benji, for the past few months, the more I thought about the two of you, the more I realized something: I was going to lose something. Something that meant a whole lot to me.”

“What?”

“You.”

“But…” Benji suddenly didn’t know what to say. He wanted to say, “but we’re still friends, and we always will be; but immediately he realized; he had no way to say what his relationship with Trevor would be in the future—that was the whole point of his submission: he gave up control. Not until this moment did this loss occur to him.

So Benji looked at his Owner, and bowed his head. He couldn’t answer Trevor; only Evan could. Evan—realizing what that meant—visibly choked up. Then He leaned over and pulled Benji into His arms.

“Oh, g-d, puppy, I love you so much! Sometimes I can’t believe how wonderful you are!

“Look at Me, boy,” Evan said, as He lifted Benji’s face so He could gaze into his eyes. “Not for one moment would I deprive you of such a wonderful friendship,” He said, starting to stroke Benji’s back. “Trevor and I spoke a couple of days ago. He told Me his sadness. And I told him how sorry I was that there had been a question about it.”

“Ben, here’s the thing,” Trevor jumped in. “There will be a loss; our relationship will change; it already has. And it will change in more ways. And that’s just something I have to accept. After all, if you simply got married and moved away—or I did—that would still be true.”

“But also, I go back to what we talked about, when you first told me about Evan. The fact that you being who are costs me something, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t still do exactly what you’re doing. That’s a price we all pay when we follow our hearts, or when we let someone else we care about do that: we have to let go—or someone else lets go of us.

“My letting go of what was before is the price I pay for you to be happy. How can I do otherwise?”

Evan met Benji’s glance with a nod; then Benji jumped up and went to Trevor, who, with a huge smile, also stood up. They hugged tight, holding it for awhile. Trevor rubbed Benji’s back a little, before they pulled apart. Before completely pulling away, Trevor, feeling very tender toward his best friend, patted Benji on his face. Then, looking over the boy’s shoulder to Evan, Trevor—with a uncertain smile on his face, said, “I—I can’t believe this, but: do you mind if I…?”

Evan smiled: “go ahead.”

With that Trevor—who was a little taller—leaned down and gave Benji a light kiss on his forehead.

Chapter 31: Meet the Cortinos

The next day was the trip to San Francisco. After Evan pitched in with the Pritchards on the usual farm chores, and after lunch, Evan and Benji left for San Francisco; the Pritchards were going a little later in their car. This would give Evan some time to visit with His Parents—and also introduce Benji to Them—then the Prichards would join them for dinner. Afterward, Benji would drive home with his parents, while Evan would stay and visit some more with His Parents.

Then the plan was for Trevor to drive Benji to Sacramento and meet Evan there on the 30th; they’d have lunch together before Evan and His boy caught a flight down to Mexico for a few days over New Years—and from there, back to school. That would be before classes started, but Benji explained that he would be getting an early start on his semester. Plus, the time in Mexico—at a carefully chosen, private beach resort—would give Benji something he was longing for: a chance to return to proper discipline and diet, and thus further his training, but also to be his Owner’s boy, without the pretense he had to maintain around his hometown.

To Evan’s surprise, Jake suggested Benji stay with Evan in San Francisco, but Evan demurred, saying, “No, you don’t get to be with your son often enough. And besides, that might be too much temptation for Me!” In fact, Evan knew this would be the last time Benji and his family could be together this way.

On the drive up, Benji was nervous; truthfully, Evan was as well—a little. He wondered how much to tell Benji about His Parents beforehand.

“Among Our People, there are Those Who—like anywhere else—will make much of being ‘old line’ or ‘pure blood.’ That’s My Parents. They don’t think much of ordinary people. Don’t be surprised. And above all, don’t let anything They say or do bother you. They won’t think you’re good enough for Me, because They probably don’t think any human is good enough. But those of Us who are oriented toward males, We can only mate with humans! It’s crazy!

“Anyway, They have no say in the matter. And whatever Their opinions, They won’t interfere in any way. But They may express Their disapproval.”

As was His custom while driving, Evan idly stroked the boy on the inside of his leg, something Benji liked very much. “If you want, boy, I could hypnotize you, and it would be easier.”

“Whatever You prefer, Sir.”

“No, I won’t do it unless you ask for it. It would calm you; but They would know. And I don’t think you need it. I don’t care what They say, and I want you not to be afraid. Except for the ritual bows, just be very still—follow your training—and that’s your best chance to impress them. They may try to rattle you; if you don’t get thrown off, They can’t help being at least a little impressed.”

Evan leaned over and kissed Benji. “I already am, pup; and that’s all that matters.”

Esteban and Isabel Cortino were officially from Portugal; however, Esteban was originally born in Spain, had met Isabel in the United States, and Their children were born there. The Family relocated to Portugal for several years; then Esteban brought the family back to the U.S. when Evan reached middle-school age. With Evan enrolled in a boarding school, the Cortinos were free to travel more, and since He entered college, if there were any places They could call home, it would be Tacoma or Seville.

Much of the travel (but not all) was due to the Cortinos’ businesses—which, to the world, included an investment bank, Atlantic Finance, which in turn had its finger in a lot pies; high tech in particular. The truth was all this was the means by which The Race managed Its affairs, kept itself hidden, and conducted ongoing research into the technology left by their alien captors. Thus, Atlantic Finance, and its subsidiaries, and any of its key investments, had to be squeaky clean; and Esteban, as one of its executives, was well imbued in that ethic.

So, aside from being rather haughty, as Evan observed, He was the epitome of rectitude. Although quite wealthy, He and Isabel (born Elizabeth in Pennsylvania) lived comfortably but not ostentatiously.

Evan and Benji were to meet Them at the Excelsior Hotel—a property that was “in the family,” and the same hotel where Evan had taken Benji before. As a result, a floor of rooms was set aside for Members of The Race, and several people on the staff were either Members or slaves of The Race.

Before meeting His Parents, Evan checked into His own room, on the same floor but down the hall. He took Benji there first, and directed him to disrobe, down to his underwear. Benji’s training had prepared him so well that he didn’t bat an eye; but he did smile to think of how much he’d changed. When Evan arrived with Benji at His parent’s suite, He was careful to clip on the lead, and directed Benji to kneel as He rang the bell. His father answered the door. “Evan, My Son!” Esteban eagerly embraced Evan, pulling Him into the room. Evan was careful not to jerk Benji along by the leash.

As They stepped toward the sitting area, Esteban asked about school, about Beck and other Members of The Race, as He rubbed Evan’s shoulders affectionately. “And here is Your mother”: Isabel was standing by one of the chairs; the custom was that females would sit on the floor, except when their children were present, then they sat on chairs. Although the hierarchy of The Race subordinates women to Men, largely parallel to boys, there are two differences; one, that children still show respect to Their mothers; and two, a female who was born a Member of the Race is deemed superior to a boy, who is always human. Isabel Cortino was born a Member of The Race; and, in fact, had spent a fair amount of time tracing Her lineage, which—by Her reckoning, included relatively few humans.

Evan actually doubted that—and, based on what He’d learned about The Race—hoped it wasn’t true. Everything Their scientists could discover indicated that The Race needed to incorporate human females very regularly. This was, in fact, a point of controversy; because if Males mated too often with human females, some believed it resulted in more offspring with limited Gifts, or even none at all. On the other hand, while sticking with females of the Race seemed to avoid this, and might even, as some believed, result in enhanced powers, it also risked birth defects; and in some cases, sterility. Evan’s own view was that there was no alternative but to interbreed with humans on a regular basis.

Esteban was similar to Evan, except swarthier; He was approaching 45, yet looked barely 40—just a touch of grey at his temples. His hair was otherwise jet black with a lovely sheen.

Isabel was deeply tan and very slender, almost bony. She had reddish-brown hair which she wore quite long. While not really looking her 43 years, there was still something pinched about her; dried out. She was very formal with Evan when She greeted Him, allowing Him to kiss Her on the cheek. Among The Race, the greeting from a child is about the only public honor a woman receives.

Esteban bid Evan sit down, offering Him a drink. “Whatever You are having, father”—which turned out to be sherry. He did not offer Isabel anything.

“Well—let us see what You brought home,” Isabel said, as Evan moved to the couch.

As Evan sat down, He snapped His fingers for Benji to perform the ritual Evan had taught him.

Benji stepped in front of Evan, positioning himself mid-point between the Cortinos. Trying to control his shivering, he crouched down, on his knees first, then his haunches; then he crossed his arms, and lowered his torso to the floor. It was an awkward movement, but it helped that his abdomen muscles were in great shape. He remained in that position, waiting to hear his Owner snap His fingers again. It seemed like forever until he heard the signal. Then he rose back up as before, determined not jerk back up, but to do it fluidly; for a moment, he lost his balance slightly, but quickly recovered.

Once back on his haunches, Benji carefully lowered his arms till his hands rested on his thighs, careful to keep his head lowered. As he finished, he was certain he’d been very awkward and messed it up; and he was not only shaking, he was sweating like a dog. It took everything just to stay still and not breathe too heavily.

“Hm. Let Me see his face.” Evan reached down to lift Benji’s face. Isabel nodded; “he looks…well fed.”

“He’s on the usual diet, Mother.”

“No doubt You’re still coddling him.” Benji took that as a reference to Evan helping Benji break free of the unplanned exposure to His pheromones; a mental nudge from Evan confirmed it.

“Well,” Isabel sniffed, I hope you aren’t withholding corporal discipline; there’s really no substitute for that.”

Evan looked over at His father, restraining a smile as He asked, “was that Your approach, Father?” Esteban was sipping His sherry at the moment, and began to choke a bit. Evan momentarily pressed His will into Benji’s, preventing him from cracking a smile as Isabel scowled.

Clearing His throat, Esteban craned forward a bit, examining Benji. “He seems quite healthy… and well developed. You’re pleased with him, then?”

“Oh yes, Father—very much so. I love this boy very dearly.” As He said this, He reached over and stroked the boy on his head and neck.

“Well, then.”

The discussion turned to the plans for the wedding and the mating; Evan explained the plans, confident that the Pritchards would bring them up. Just as He expected, His Parents took no interest in any of the human ceremonies; They would participate only for appearances’ sake. They could see, however, that Evan was actually looking forward to the reception, with the food, dancing, and all the silly customs humans have around weddings. They understood the need to go along with it; but not His appetite for it.

Isabel had objected to Esteban exposing Evan to American values; while she wouldn’t dare bring it up, her face revealed her thoughts on that point. The irony, of course, was that Esteban had been rather indulgent toward Isabel in even allowing her a voice in the matter at the time, and in tolerating expressions of disapproval over the years.

Looking over at Benji, then at Evan, Isabel asked, “does this…boy know how to do anything useful?”

“Certainly mother? What do you require?”

“There is some hot water over there…”

Isabel glanced toward her husband, who asked, “Would you like some tea, My pet?”

“Of course mother,” Evan replied. With that, Evan snapped His fingers and pointed toward the counter where the carafe was, along with the bar. “Mother, will you want lemon, sugar or cream?”

“Lemon is fine.”

In getting up, Benji was careful to repeat the ritual from before; then, upon arising, was careful to bow his head, before backing up, behind the chair where his Owner sat—that way, his back was not to any Superior. Then he walked around the perimeter of the chairs to the bar. Evan was tempted to prompt a conversation, taking the pressure off Benji—but He knew what His parents were up to, so He figured He’d play along; the tougher the test, the more impressive Benji’s success would be. As They sat, waiting, Benji seemed to take longer than necessary. Finally, Benji returned—retracing his movements exactly as before, this time bringing a tray, with bowl of sugar and a spoon, and a napkin, and placing these on the table before Isabel—but no tea. As he backed up from the table, he knelt down beside his Owner, and tilted his head toward Evan; a signal that he wished to ask a question.

“Yes boy?”

Benji leaned close and whispered. Evan nodded.

“Father, My boy is most sorry, but he seems not to find any cups.”

Esteban had a puzzled look. “Hmm, let’s see…” He got up and walked over to the bar area, and proceeded to poke around, exactly as Benji had. Then He paused; then walked through one of the doors, presumably to a bedroom or bathroom. He returned a moment later with a cup.

“Here is a cup—I can’t imagine what it was doing in the other room.” But His facial expression said the opposite: that He knew exactly how it had been put there, and by whom.

At that, Evan pointed for Benji to return to finish his chore; he repeated each of the ritual movements again, and quickly returned, this time bearing a cup of tea on the tray. Benji placed it on the table, and started to back away, but catching his mistake, he knelt, and then took the cup on its saucer, and leaned forward, somewhat awkwardly, to present it to Isabel. As Everyone watched, They could tell by the rattle of the porcelain cup how nervous Benji was. Isabel observed this coolly, waiting just a moment before gesturing for the boy to set the cup down as before. Then he waited to see if she wished him to prepare the tea. Softening a little, she shook her head—indicating she would do that herself. With that, Benji repeated the ritual bow again in getting up, and returned finally to his place beside Evan.

After Isabel had prepared her tea as she liked, and taken a sip, she finally said, with a sniff, “Well…a bit formal perhaps; You will have to teach him the finer points, Son.”

The conversation turned to the plans for the evening: the Pritchards would meet the Cortinos in Their suite, followed by dinner in a restaurant downstairs. There was a few moments of silence. Then Evan snapped His Fingers—and Benji repeated the ritual from before; this time, he was more smooth, and felt more confident. On the way back up, he did not lose balance as before. Evan got up, gave His father a slight bow of his head and His mother another kiss, and left with Benji.

As Evan walked out, the boy mentally asked Evan what the silence had been about; and Evan confirmed Benji’s guess: that, in addition to some private expressions between Evan and His parents, He had also reminded Them about the human conventions that would prevail at dinner.

Back in His room, Evan was able to relax a bit; He loved His Parents, but He didn’t share all Their values, and They didn’t always conceal their objections. Evan also paid some attention to His boy, who was pretty tense, and a little tired. Once inside the suite, He pulled Benji into His arms, kissing him deeply; He rubbed His hands up and down Benji’s naked back, and then, disengaging somewhat, rubbed the boy’s shoulders and arms, as if trying to warm Him up. “Ah, you did so well, boy! I couldn’t be more proud of you, Benji!”

“S-Sir…i-i, i was a nervous wreck!”

Evan stroked Benji’s face as He gazed in his eyes; then He smiled, and said, “I have an idea. Pup, go get that Jacuzzi running while I slip on some shorts; I can’t think of any better way to relax for a bit.” Benji eagerly complied, and was standing patiently by the in-room Jacuzzi when Evan came out of the bathroom in a black pair of swim trunks. Experiencing a bit more of his Owner’s pheromones, Benji sighed deeply as his boxer briefs tented fully. Evan got in first, and then sat back to watch His boy climb in next. Then He reached over, took Benji by his hand, and pulled him into His Arms.

“I know that was hard; it’s OK; but wasn’t that just what I told you would happen?”

“Yes Sir. May I ask, did that go OK Sir?”

“Oh, completely!”

“Did They like me, Sir?”

Evan sighed. “Puppy—yes; as much as They could. Did They approve of you? Yes; and you know how I know that? Because they didn’t find a single thing wrong with you! Trust Me; if They’d seen anything about you that wasn’t good enough—you can be sure one of Them would have mentioned it!

“Also, My Parents want Me to be as happy as possible; and They know that I am. And that is what makes Them happy. They’ll show that, eventually, once They are satisfied you pass the test.”

“Sir, do You mean that wasn’t the end of it?”

“I’m afraid not, boy; dinner tonight will be another test. They’ll be interested to see how you handle yourself according to human conventions. But don’t worry; just do what you’ve been doing. And besides, if you need help, I’ll give it.”

Benji smiled and asked, “Just like You helped me not crack a smile in there?”

Evan laughed. “Yes; exactly. Actually, you were controlling yourself just fine, but My mother would have faulted you for the slightest twitch. And while I wouldn’t have blamed you for it, She might have resented it. They might suspect I was ‘holding’ you at that moment, but They know you were handling yourself all the rest of the time.”

While Evan and Benji talked, Evan’s hands roamed Benji’s body, caressing him and massaging his tense muscles. After awhile, Evan fell silent while He explored. With one hand, He rubbed the boy’s mop of hair; with the other, He savored the boy’s nicely mounded pecs and rippled stomach, both of which were responding nicely to his workout regimen.

Now that Benji was wearing the “garden gate,” Evan didn’t worry about forgetting Himself and mounting Benji prematurely. Unbeknownst to Benji, Evan had programmed the garden gate not to open, even for Him, until the Night. Even so, Evan still had to be careful not to excite Himself to climax—the aggressive nature of The Race’s Seed was such that Males, after puberty, were carefully instructed in how to prevent any unintentional exposure of any human to Their Seed. Males had several ways of accomplishing that, including disposing of Their Seed in fire, or the easy expedient of consuming It. Thus, for all Males of the Race, of both orientations, “69 Clubs” were a normal part of growing up.

As Evan’s hands explored Benji’s body, now reaching down and kneading and stroking the boy’s flanks, He also resisted the temptation to enjoy the play-toy between Benji’s legs; but for a different reason. This was for the sake of Benji’s training. Sharing His thoughts with Benji, Evan reminded him, «One of the things that has to die in a boy is any expectation or attachment to sexual pleasure associated with his penis. That’s one of the reasons chastity is so important for you, boy. A boy has to relocate all his sexual focus to the ways he yields his body to his Owner’s needs—to being mounted or nourished.

«For that reason, you’ll be in chastity long after your mating.» Only when Benji’s sexual desires and instincts have been firmly and completely re-ordered, would it be appropriate for Him to enjoy that part of Benji. «Besides that, I am denying you as much sexual pleasure as possible, pup. It’s all Mine, remember. He was aware of the way Benji’s dingus was throbbing. «That’s all you get.»

Benji understood, and was at peace. He’d been through nearly a year of chastity—the first few months being circumstantial rather than enforced, something Benji realized Evan had, nonetheless, helped make happen. Not only in keeping Benji off-balance about private time with “accidental” interruptions. But in other ways. Whether in conversation, or simply by Benji piecing it together—and Evan confirming it mentally—the boy now understood that during his year in the dorm, Evan had steered Benji away from too many dates or involvements that became too serious. It had been subtle—and if Benji had pressed forward with any of the girls he was interested in, Evan wouldn’t have blocked it. To Evan’s mind, He was just keeping the boy’s options open, and keeping Himself in the game. After all, if Benji had ended up pursuing a girl, what real harm would being chaste have been?

You’ve accepted it very well, boy,” Evan said, stroking Benji’s face as He held him in His Arms and gazed down at him.

“Yes Sir—and thank You, Sir.” One of the things Benji was enjoying was not having to struggle to express his feelings. As he accepted the embrace of Evan’s strong arms and luxuriating against Evan’s meaty pecs, Benji savored the sweet relief of simply letting his Owner sift through his mind, and know what his full heart could not shape into words: that his experience with chastity had proved to be an awesome gift, especially in retrospect.

Benji sighed as he recalled (and knew Evan was aware of these thoughts) how far he’d come. He remembered his fears and hesitation before he made his submission to Evan, especially his anxiety about having chastity imposed. And now, he could look back on how his summer and first semester had brought him so far: to where arousal, and an erection, were such wonderful gifts that they were enough, he didn’t feel the need to reach to touch something he had stopped thinking of as “his.” In fact, now he realized that he now saw his entire body the same way—but all this had happened without him fully noticing. It all made him feel that much more happy about all Evan had done for him.

“Everything you told me, Sir, has been true!” Instead of saying anything more, Benji let the surge of his feelings—which Evan read instantly—be his gratitude. And yet, one thing he would say: looking deep in Evan’s eyes: “i love You so much!”

As Benji lay happily in Evan’s arms, the warm waters swirling, each of them drifted off to sleep.

Chapter 32: The In-Laws Meet

A ringing telephone, conveniently on the wall near the Jacuzzi, woke them up. “Were You going to join Us for drinks, son?” It was His father.

“Hmm? Oh…”

“The Pritchards are due here shortly; I was hoping You and Your boy would be here to welcome them.”

Oh, I’m so sorry, Father; I—I need a few minutes to get ready. Please convey My apology if necessary,” He stammered as He hung up.

“Up puppy, up!” Evan and Benji both scrambled to get out of the tub. Evan gave the boy a loving pat on the bottom, instructing him to retrieve some clean underwear from his suitcase and dry off, and then dress in the suit and tie—the same cute outfit he’d worn the last time Evan brought Benji to San Francisco. Evan dried off, keeping His back turned until Benji had slipped into something dry. Then Evan got the items He planned to wear, and quickly changed in the bathroom. In a matter of minutes, Benji was not only cutely attired in his seersucker suit, he’d also spiked his hair with some gel, and put on the cologne Evan had bought for him. Two more minutes, and Evan was at His parents’ door.

After His mother let Him in, and He came into the sitting area, He found the Pritchards there; they had just arrived, and His Father was getting drinks for them: a glass of wine for Linda, Jack Daniels on the rocks for Jake. “Ah, here’s My wayward son! What would You and…Benji…like?”

Evan replied, “Whatever that whisky is looks fine for Me”; then murmuring briefly to Benji, He added, “Benji’s fine with water—unless You have any sort of juice there.” Evan was careful to give the appearance of consulting Benji; but not so careful that His Parents wouldn’t see through it. Evan nodded for Benji to assist His father with the drinks. Esteban sent Benji back with Evan’s whisky, and a glass of water for himself.

When Esteban brought the Pritchards their drinks, Jake drawled, “I don’t often have anything stronger than beer, and that’s only once in awhile—but I think the occasion calls for it.” Esteban smiled, but didn’t need to read minds to know Jake’s comment was really intended for Linda. “The church we go to, back in Rio Rosa, doesn’t approve of drinking,” Jake continued; but my father, he was Presbyterian, and they drink!”

“I grew up Baptist,” Linda explained; and we don’t drink.”

“Oh yes you do,” Jake interjected; “but you don’t admit it!” Linda conceded the point with a small grin.

When Esteban sat down, having gotten a glass of wine for Isabel, and a scotch on the rocks for Himself, Jake continued, “So, uh, Steve”—Evan perked up to hear His Father called that, and wondered about the conversation He’d missed—“Evan says y’all are from Portugal, so…I’m guessing you’re Catholic?”

“Well…officially,” Esteban said, with a restrained smile. “I was baptized, and so were My children; but…We aren’t very observant.”

Jake just nodded; then, when no one else spoke, slapped his hands together and asked, “So: whaddya think?” Esteban cocked His eyebrow in puzzlement. “About these…fellows”—Evan noted Jake hesitated in his choice of words—“and the marriage.”

“Ah. Well, that’s one of those things where I think rather differently from…the church, and others, who object. I—Isabel and I—have no objections whatsoever. We’ve known about Evan’s…nature…since He was a youth. Naturally, We expected Him to choose a mate—that’s what We wanted for Him. Of course, when He was a boy, that was more frowned upon. So We’re very glad that today, there is not so much problem about that.”

After another lull, it was Linda’s turn to revive the conversation. Looking at Isabel, she said, “My that’s a lovely dress you are wearing—could that be silk?” When Isabel nodded, Linda continued, “Do You mind if I ask where You got it? I doubt I could afford it,” she added quickly, sensing Jake’s alarm—“but that doesn’t stop me from dreaming!”

Isabel—who hadn’t said more than ten words since the Pritchard’s arrived—bestirred herself, and said, with a pained expression, “I got it in Paris, I think”—pause—“yes, Paris. It isn’t a designer. My husband and I are actually rather mindful about such things.”

“Oh. Well, it is just beautiful!” Isabel didn’t respond at first; then, remembering human customs, said curtly, “thank you.”

Evan, feeling a little guilty pleasure watching this interchange—He knew this was exactly why His Parents wanted Him there. Although most Members of The Race had to be skilled at interacting with humans, and passing among them unnoticed, His Father had, in recent years, spent a lot of His time mostly in the Hidden World. He had clearly gotten rusty. And His mother rarely interacted with humans. Unlike His Father, who was more outgoing, she had no interest or pleasure in human interaction. Evan decided to save the day.

“Dad,” He said, with a twinkle in His Eye as His Father arched His eyebrow again, “We should talk about the wedding plans.” Turning to the Pritchards, He continued: “The four of us were talking earlier about it, including the things we worked out the other day at the farm.”

“Oh? Good! So You and Isabel are fine with having the wedding in Sacramento?”

“Yes—that’s fine. My wife and I will have no trouble with that.” Jake pondered the odd way Esteban was responding; but because of His accent, Jake took that to mean Esteban wasn’t a native English speaker.

“Mrs. Pritchard, I took the liberty of reserving the ballroom at the Sterling Hotel, as well as several floors of rooms. I hope you don’t mind?”

“No…that was very sensible, Evan! That’s one of the best hotels in the city.”

“Yes ma’am; but because My Father’s done business with them, they were very willing to give a very favorable rate.”

“Good! And you know, I haven’t any ideas about music—I’m sure You…and Benji, can take care of that?” Then turning, Linda continued, “you know, Isabel, I have some wonderful ideas about the decorations. We have some greenhouses in our area, we know the families; I’m sure we’ll have plenty to choose from. How about if we toss some ideas around in some emails?”

Isabel tried not to look mortified, but mostly failed. “That…would be…fine.” When she offered nothing else, Evan interjected, “Mrs. Pritchard, I’ll be glad to send you my mom’s email.” He didn’t dare look to see how “mom” reacted to that.

With a grand air, Esteban took control, suggesting that it would be a good time to “make our way downstairs for dinner; which, I remind you”—here He looked at Jake—“is My treat.”

As everyone rose, Jake responded, “Well, Steve, that’s awfully kind! Won’t you let us take care of the tip?”

“No, no, that’s most kind; but I wouldn’t think of it. Please: you are my guests!”

As they were seated for dinner, the hostess took the drink order. Esteban had another scotch—his third—and He ordered another glass of wine for Isabel. Jake thought about another drink, but demurred, as they had to drive home later. Evan had another whisky, this time choosing a single-malt bourbon. After a slight nod from Evan, Benji asked for a glass of wine. Evan didn’t miss His mother’s pursed lips; but He had a purpose; he would have Benji order a second glass, and They would be able to judge Benji’s training, dulled by some alcohol.

After the hostess left, Jake expressed surprise that she hadn’t asked for Benji’s ID. But with a wave of His Hand, Esteban replied, “There will be no problem; one reason I like this hotel is…an enlightened attitude.”

The waiter was an unexpected treat: it was Jared, the waiter from the last trip to San Francisco. Evan recognized him, too; and didn’t need to look at his nametag to remember his name. “Jared, what a surprise! You waited on Benji and Me once before, in August; but that was at the Palm.”

“Yes Sir; i’m working here now, of course.” Then Jared, reading the situation, turned to Esteban, Who let him know it was His party tonight. “Very good, Sir.”

Jared left menus—three—one for each man at the table. Linda raised an eyebrow at that, but figured it must be something trendy restaurants were doing; Jake—who was seated somewhat opposite Linda#—was happy to pass his menu to her. Evan laid the menu down on the table where His boy could see it, and Benji made a good show of looking and pointing. Isabel did not even look at the menu. When Jared returned, Esteban directed him toward Jake. It puzzled him a little when Jared assumed Jake would give Linda’s order, but he went along with it. Evan followed suit, and finally Esteban ordered for Isabel and Himself. Linda and Jake shrugged at each other over that.

Evan, still in a playful mood, nudged the conversation toward particular topics whenever things lagged. So at one point, He got Jake talking about his farm, and then mentioned that one of His Father’s investments was connected to farming. He didn’t think His Father would enjoy the topic—any more than He liked it when Evan steered things toward college football—but He wasn’t being all that unfair; His Father was the host, after all, and if He wasn’t interested in fostering lively conversation, Evan figured He could at least bring up topics the Pritchards would enjoy.

As it turned out, Esteban warmed to the topics. He’d had some experiences on farms growing up in Spain, and the one thing Esteban knew well was the various firms and interests in which He invested. Evan admired how His Father described His business, carefully omitting, of course, anything belonging to the Hidden World. Regarding college football, Esteban shrugged in a stereotypical European manner, allowing Evan and Jake to carry that subject. Evan knew this was a subject Benji loved; and He was so proud of His boy for holding back—and let him know that with a mental nudge and a knowing smile. Then, at various points, nudged by very slight nods from Evan—which were intended for the Cortinos to detect—Benji offered comments. It was pitch-perfect: Benji was never assertive or talkative; he did just enough not to appear, to his parents, to be rude. The Cortinos would, meanwhile, see that Evan had orchestrated it all.

When Jared asked about dessert, Jake—who was used to the hearty diet of farm life, eagerly asked about the offerings. He liked the sound of a “Limoncello bread pudding,” and Linda wanted ice cream. That sounded good to Evan; but ordered fruit for Benji, which is what Isabel had, while Esteban ordered flan. Upon hearing that, Evan changed His order. “I haven’t had that in years; that’s a nice memory from growing up.”

Then, as Jared set the flan in front of Evan, He looked at Benji and said, “After we’re married, I’ll teach you the family recipe for this; especially the secret ingredient.” A mental nudge from Evan let Benji know what the special ingredient was—something the boy himself would contribute. That made Benji blush; Esteban, guessing what Evan meant, cracked a smile; Isabel pursed her lips. Evan smiled innocently, while Jake and Linda, none the wiser, kept eating their desserts. Before He finished His, Evan took a spoonful, and reached across to Benji. He brought it to Benji’s mouth; and he parted his lips and let Evan feed him. Jake and Linda frowned a little, but the non-reaction from the Cortinos told Evan His parents had read that action just as He wished—as a subtle show of domination and submission.

Finally, after coffee—for Jake and Linda, Esteban and Evan—it was time for goodbyes. After the Cortinos walked with Their guests to the hotel lobby, Linda repeated an invitation made over drinks for the Cortinos to visit the farm, and Jake thanked Esteban for “an awfully nice evening.” As Benji was going to ride home with his parents, he and Evan wanted to make their goodbyes; sensing the situation, Jake shook Evan’s hand, and then excused himself to “go see about our car.” Linda, having said her goodbyes to the Cortinos, took that opportunity to find the restroom. Ignoring Benji, the Cortinos excused Themselves to go up to Their room—leaving Evan and Benji alone in the lobby. “I’ll see you in a few days,” Evan said, as He took both Benji’s hands in His, and leaned in for a long, farewell kiss. Linda reappeared a few moments later, and Evan walked with them to find Jake at the valet station.

Later, once Jake was on I-80, crossing the bay toward Oakland, he exhaled heavily, and looking toward Linda, asked, “So, what about that?”

Linda hesitated, trying to be diplomatic. “Well…they have their way, don’t they?” Jake just chuckled. “They seem very different from Evan,” she added. “Well, He was mostly brought up here, mom,” Benji interjected from the back seat. “Hmm,” was her only response.

“How’d it go with them beforehand, son,” Jake said, over his shoulder. “About the same, dad; i let Evan do most of the talking.”

“Smart boy,” Jake said, not trying to hide his dislike of the Cortinos. “Did They say any more to you then, than they did over dinner.”

“No, Sir.”

Jake shook his head. Linda fumbled for an answer. “Well…They are European.”

“You know what?” Jake said, turning a little more to direct his comments to Benji as well. “That woman—Mrs. Cortino”—Jake said it with an attempted accent—“reminds me of a line I heard somewhere about President Coolidge—I don’t know why I even remember it, but it fits: That woman looks like she was weaned on a pickle!”