The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Brighton Rock

Part II

Nexis Pas

* * *

‘So he didn’t say when he’d return?’

‘Henry, for the twentieth time, Simon said he had to rush back to his office and that he would be in touch.’

‘But didn’t he say anything about when?’

‘Henry, you’ve fallen hard this time, haven’t you?’

‘Mum, it was so special. He understood what it was like to have the power, and I could talk to him, we could talk. Nobody else has ever understood.’

Mrs Colson rested her hand on her son’s shoulder. As it often did, the simple gesture comforted Henry. Mum could always make him feel better.

‘Such a big sigh. If this Simon is a good man, he’ll be back, Henry.’

‘I guess, Mum. I don’t know.’

But he suspected that she knew more than she was telling him. He had last seen Simon Lucas on Saturday afternoon, and by Thursday, he was beginning to doubt that he would ever see Simon again. Henry sat alone at the kitchen table. The cup of tea he had made an hour earlier had grown cold, nearly untouched. He felt deserted by everyone. His mother’s new friend had suddenly invited her to visit Manchester, and she had left the day before. She would not be back until Monday. She had been quite insistent about leaving. Bert was still missing. Henry’s contact at the Ministry had said only that they would investigate Bert’s disappearance and get back to him. So far he had heard nothing. He had made a half-hearted attempt the night before to be the Brighton Rock. He had begun to dress in the outfit, but then decided against leaving the house. He stripped off the tights, wadded them into a ball, and tossed them into the back of his closet.

He was so lost in his thoughts that he barely registered the soft moans coming from the yard outside the kitchen window. It wasn’t until the feeble thump on the back door that he became conscious of a cry for help. ‘Henry, it’s Bert. Let me in.’

Henry rushed to the back door and wrenched it open. There on the back step, Bert lay naked and shivering, clad only in a black jockstrap. His eyes were glazed over, and his mouth lolled open. Henry lifted his sidekick in his arms and carried Bert’s limp body into the sitting room and lay him on the sofa. Bert moaned again as if the slightest touch caused him pain.

‘Bert, Bert, what happened? Where have you been? Who did this to you?’ Bert grabbed Henry’s hand, and suddenly an aura of great evil filled the room. It was the strongest sense of evil that Henry had ever felt. It overwhelmed him, the power of it beating against his mind, making him dizzy and sick. The waves of it invaded his body and mind. He could feel it begin to seduce him, to tempt him. It would be so easy to give in, to listen to the voice that had started whispering in his head. The voice became louder and louder. So easy just to give in and follow its suggestions. He looked down at Bert’s body. It was so beautiful, and Bert was so helpless. He could reach out and take his pleasure and Bert could not resist him. Bert was his for the taking. All he had to do was pull off that jockstrap. He was so much bigger and stronger than Bert. Why should not the stronger prey on the weaker? Bert did not have his powers. He was the superhero. Bert was the sidekick. He existed for the Rock’s pleasure. The Rock was strong. The Rock could take what he wanted. Henry grasped the jockstrap in his hand and began to pull it off Bert’s body. Bert is helpless, he cannot resist, he belongs to me, thought Henry.

‘Henry, help me. Tea, please, can I have a cuppa?’ Bert’s voice was barely audible. His request for the simple comfort of a cup of tea was almost drowned out by the lust that was overpowering Henry. Almost, but not quite. The image of a cup in his mother’s prized blue willow pattern, the wisps of steam rising from the surface of the hot rich amber-coloured liquid, the teabag submerged beneath the surface, the string with the paper tag on the end fluttering along the side of the cup filled Henry’s mind. The demanding bonds of lust dissipated. He looked down and was horrified to see his fingers hooked under the elastic bands of the jockstrap that Bert was wearing. He released the strap and smoothed it out. He lifted the multicoloured coverlet his mother had knitted off the back of the sofa and spread it over Bert’s body, tucking it under his chin. ‘I’ll put the kettle on.’

A few minutes later, he put an arm under Bert’s shoulders and lifted him up. He held the cup to Bert’s lips while his sidekick sipped the tea. Bert moaned again, this time in pleasure instead of pain and snuggled closer to Henry. Bert’s body felt so weak in his arms. Bert took a few more sips and then closed his eyes. ‘Thanks, chum.’ Henry was filled with guilt. He had almost surrendered to the evil that had touched Bert. He had been so close to using Bert for his own pleasure.

‘Maybe you should sleep now.’

‘Yes, but please stay with me, Henry. Don’t leave me.’ Henry set the cup down on the table. He smoothed the coverlet over Bert and stroked his sidekick’s head. Bert gave a great sigh, smiled at Henry, and then slept. Henry watched without moving until he was sure that Bert was deeply asleep. He had promised Bert that he would not invade his mind again, but he had to find out what had happened and, if he could, to help Bert heal.

Gently, he reached into Bert’s mind, careful not to awaken him. The evil was there. It was not Bert himself, but Henry knew that Bert had been in contact with evil. Deep within Bert’s mind, he found the blinding pulse of energy that had obliterated Bert’s resistance. As he followed its traces through Bert’s mind, he gradually became aware of another presence there. A dark figure. Looming. Intense. Commanding. IT had been working on Bert’s mind. This was the force that had injured Bert. Henry reached out carefully and explored the other figure. It was the EMG. Henry was sure of that. And the EMG had the same powers that he and Simon had. Bert had been no match for the EMG. He had been unable to resist. And the EMG had used Bert foully. Bert’s images of the EMG were very clear. The arch-villain was small and stunted. His white hair looked lifeless and dry. His face was wrinkled with years of wickedness. His pale face glowered with cruelty and malice. Even as he probed Bert’s memories of the EMG, his sidekick began to stir and moan again. Henry backed off a bit.

He would need to remove these memories from Bert, he decided. Somehow he had to help Bert develop a resistance to the EMG. He needed to inject Bert with a mental vaccine that inoculated him against the powers of the greatest menace England had ever known. But how? Slowly he reached back into Bert’s mind and sedated his partner. Bert would sleep deeply now while he did what he had to do. Henry held his partner in his arms and focussed on the task ahead of him. He went back to Bert’s first encounter with the EMG and gently began to absorb the energy bolt that had knocked Bert out. Now that he knew what he was dealing with, he was able to resist the temptations that the EMG had planted in Bert’s mind. For the next two hours, he roamed through Bert’s mind and neutralized all the harm that the EMG had done. He shuddered at some of the images he found. The EMG had treated Bert like a puppet and forced him to do awful, terrible things. Henry erased every image and memory he could find. When he was satisfied that he had removed every trace of the EMG from Bert’s mind, he turned to the task of giving Bert the power to resist the EMG’s mind control powers. Sadly, he knew, that he was also giving Bert the power to resist his own powers as well. He and Bert would never again be able to repeat the pleasures they had once experienced. By the time he was finished, it had grown dark outside. He had been so busy treating Bert that he hadn’t bothered to turn the lights on. He could see the lights in the houses across the street and shadows on the curtains as people walked about. Occasionally someone walking a dog or running an errand passed by in the street. Toward midnight, the street fell silent. One by one the lights went out. Only the occasional blue flickering of a television revealed that not everyone was asleep.

Henry was almost asleep himself when someone rapped on the door. He eased his arm from beneath Bert’s shoulders and drew aside the curtain to look out. A large, tall man stood at the door. He rapped again quietly. Henry’s heart leaped in his chest. It was Simon. He rushed to the door and threw it open. The two embraced tightly. ‘Oh, Simon, I didn’t think you were coming back.’

‘I couldn’t get away. The EMG came for me. I barely escaped. And then I knew that somehow he was after you. That he was coming closer to you. I drove here as fast as I could.’

‘He had Bert. I think he sent Bert to me to corrupt me.’

‘Who’s Bert?’

Henry drew Simon into the house and pointed at the supine figure lying on the sofa. ‘Bert Peters. My sidekick. I’m the Brighton Rock, Simon. I didn’t want to tell you, because the papers were making me out to be a sex-crazed idiot. I thought you would be ashamed to be seen with me. I didn’t mean to deceive you. Please, Simon, you’ve got to forgive me. Please don’t be upset.’

‘Henry, how could I ever be upset with you? I’ve known you’re the Brighton Rock since last Saturday, Henry. That just makes you even more precious to me.’

Simon gathered Henry into his arms and kissed him firmly. ‘But we have to leave. It’s not safe to stay here. We have to gain time to plan how to stop the EMG. My car is down the street. I know of an isolated house in the country. We can drive there tonight. Awaken mother, I mean, awaken your mother. She has to go with us too.’

‘Mum’s in Manchester.’

Actually, thought Simon, she’s lying on a bed in Dr Esterhazy’s clinic in a drug-induced stupor. ‘Then it’s just the three of us. We can’t leave Bert here.’ Simon gathered the sleeping sidekick in his arms. ‘Oh, I can feel it. Someone has been tampering with his mind.’

‘Yes, it took me hours to undo the damage the EMG had done.’

‘What?’ A brief look of dismay fluttered across Simon’s face. Luckily he was able to cover up his surprise before it became apparent to Henry. ‘I mean, you can do that?’

‘It was the first time I ever did that kind of operation. I’m won’t know if I was successful until Bert wakes up.’

‘If necessary, we’ll work on it together later, Henry. But we had better leave now.’

Swiftly and quietly, Simon led Henry down the street to his car. He lay the unconscious Bert on the backseat. The Rolls barely whispered as he started it and drove through the night. Henry was exhausted from his day’s labours, and he soon followed Simon’s suggestion that he sleep on the drive north.

* * *

‘So where are we?’

‘I don’t know, Bert. Simon woke me up after we arrived. It was still dark.’ Henry drew back the heavy curtains covering the window in the sitting room, and he and Bert peered out. The house sat in a small clearing in a woods. Other than a road leading through the trees and the house itself there was no indication of human activity in the area. The nearest house could be just beyond the trees or twenty miles away. ‘Simon said we should stay in the house until he returned.’

‘Where is this Simon?’

‘He just said he had an errand to run and that he would be back later this morning.’

‘Are you sure he can be trusted, Henry?’

‘I trust him with my life and yours too, Bert.’

‘But how well do you really know him, Henry? You meet this Simon on a beach, and you go to his hotel room. The next day, you take him to meet your mother. She sends you out to buy milk, and when you get back, he’s gone. Then you don’t hear anything from him until late last night when he shows up on your doorstep, brings us both here, and then drives off.’

‘We learned a lot about each other very quickly.’

‘So I gather. A real meeting of the minds.’

‘It wasn’t like that, Bert. It was special. He has the same powers I do. He understands me. We could talk. I’ve never been able to talk to anyone who understood before.’

‘We talk.’

‘Bert Peters, are you jealous?’

‘No. Why would I be jealous? I’m happy for you. I really am, but I just think you should be cautious.’

‘That’s something new. You advising me to be cautious.’

‘Yeah, well, there’s a first for everything.’

‘Bert, uh, we should talk. Last night, when you turned up, I probed your mind. And I did . . . some repairs.’

‘Repairs?’

‘There were a lot of bad memories. I erased them. And I gave you some protection against mind probes. The EMG won’t be able to get into your mind again.’

‘I ran up against the EMG?’

‘Yes, I think so. He was evil. It had to be the EMG. There’s nobody else like that. Can’t you remember what happened? The last we saw of you was Thursday afternoon, and you had a date with William.’

‘William? I never. I don’t know anyone named William.’

‘You had several dates last week with a man named William. He had a car you wanted us to buy. Then last Friday we got a note saying that you had been kidnapped by the EMG and that if we wanted to see you again, I should be on the beach at Selsey at midnight. But when I showed up, there was no one there. Except later Simon came along. He was staying at the Carleton Crest and was out for a walk.’

‘I don’t remember any of this. I remember talking to you about your costume in your bedroom—when was that, on Wednesday? Thursday? Then the next thing I remember is being in your backyard and knocking on your door. Then, it was like being touched with warm wool. Like these pads of wool blotting up stuff in my brain. And being sleepy. And feeling very comfortable and warm and safe.’

‘There weren’t a lot of memories left in your mind. I think the EMG had been in there erasing stuff. There was this bright white light. The EMG stunned you with this energy flash. After that, the only memories I could find were fragments. But they weren’t nice. You were being used—like a hand puppet. He was inside you and making you do all these things. Bad things, Bert. They were awful. It was all in your mind, what he was doing. But he was causing you so much pain and degrading you. He shouldn’t be allowed to do that. We’ve got to stop him, Bert. He’s attacked Simon as well. But he won’t know that he can’t get inside your mind anymore. He won’t be expecting that. You’ll be our secret weapon. He’ll think you’re under his control, but you’ll just be pretending until you can overpower him. He’s this little old man. Like a garden gnome. You won’t have any trouble with him.’

‘What do you mean, he can’t get into my mind?’

‘When I was inside you, I fixed it. I put up barriers in your mind. No one can get into your mind and control you now. Not me or Simon or the EMG.’

‘But what about you? Can’t you keep him out of your mind?’

‘I don’t know. I never had to do that before. Before Simon, I never knew anyone else who had the power. So I didn’t worry about keeping people out. But at least you won’t be vulnerable to the EMG. Maybe I can fix Simon too. And he can fix me.’

‘He has a trophy room. The EMG has a trophy room. There are cases with all the superheroes he’s defeated.’

‘How do you know that?’

‘The memory just came to me. He showed me the cases. They’re nice. All walnut with thick plate glass and overhead lighting. There was one with your name on it, and a date. I don’t remember what day. But your case is all prepared. The other supers were frozen in place. He has a doctor that prepares them for display. That is why he sent me back. To tell you that your display case is ready. He’s going to take both of us. I should be wearing a black jockstrap.’

‘That’s what you had on when you came to the back door. I don’t know what happened to it. Maybe Simon took it off when he put you to bed.’

‘Simon put me to bed?’

‘He carried you into the house and took you upstairs to that bedroom. I didn’t go up with him. But he wasn’t gone long.’

‘That was Simon? But he tried to probe my mind. I remember now. I thought it was you. It was dark, and he’s big like you. I couldn’t see him very well. Just a big guy. He was looking for something in my mind. But the feeling wasn’t what I get with you. You’re warm, and it’s like these waves of goodwill come out of you. That’s what confused me last night. I thought it was you, and yet the feeling was cold and hard. Henry, just please be careful. Don’t trust this Simon too quickly. There’s something about him that’s not right. It feels like a set-up.’

‘You’re wrong about him, Bert. I’ve been inside his mind. He’s like most people, basically good but he does some things he shouldn’t. He just wants to help us defeat the EMG now.’

Bert placed his hand on the small of Henry’s back. How do I persuade him to be careful—he’s too trusting, he thought.

‘I know I should be careful, Bert. I’m too trusting.’

Good, that’s better, thought Bert. Somehow we’ve got to check this Sir Simon Lucas out. Verify that he is who he says he is.

‘Maybe you’re right. I shouldn’t take Simon at his word. Maybe we should check him out. Verify he’s who he says he is. But how do we do that?’

‘You feel so tense. Would you like me to give you a shoulder massage?’ At least, I can remember that, Bert thought. Henry does like those. They help him relax. Maybe a little hypnotism, too.

‘Oh, I like those. They help me relax. Maybe you could do that talking thing where you help me visualize relaxing too.’

Henry pulled a chair out from beneath the desk and sat down. Bert stood behind him and began massaging his shoulders, pressuring the muscles with his thumbs while he kneaded Henry’s taut shoulder muscles. For a second he visualized Henry without his shirt. Henry rolled his shoulders beneath Bert’s hands. ‘Oh, that feels good. Let me take my shirt off.’

Bert visualized the muscles relaxing as he continued to massage Henry. He saw the tension in Henry’s body being drained away. He could feel Henry relaxing. “Just see yourself lying in the warm sun on a blanket at the beach. The sun warming your muscles and helping them relax. Muscles just melting in the sun.” Bert thought of a warm, sandy beach. He and Henry lying side by side on a blanket.

Henry moaned softly. Bert reached down over Henry’s shoulders and cupped Henry’s pecs in his hands. It was incredibly sexy the way they filled his hands. Out of habit he began stroking the nipples. A pity that Henry didn’t have sensitive nipples. He loved to suck nipples and feel them stiffen and grow between his lips. But Henry just didn’t have that feeling. Wish he did, thought Bert.

Henry growled with pleasure. ‘Oh, Bert. My god. Is that what it feels like? That’s amazing. Please suck on them. Please let me feel that.’

Henry stood up and turned to face Bert. His chest was just in front of Bert’s face. ‘Just relax your mind, Henry. Focus on your nipples.’ Bert placed his hands on Henry’s waist and pulled him close. His lips closed around a nipple. Teasing it with his tongue, he sucked it in and out of his mouth as he thought—hard—about how much Henry enjoyed it.

‘Bert, I can’t take any more. Stop, please stop.’

‘You don’t want me to stop.’

‘No, don’t stop. But I can’t stand up. My legs are all weak. I’ve got to lie down.’

In quick succession, Bert thought of the floor, the couch in the sitting room, and the bed he had slept in the night before.’

‘Take me upstairs, Bert. That bed . . .’

‘Come with me, big guy. Finally you’re going to relax and really enjoy sex.’

Bert had to experiment a bit to find the right spots in Henry’s mind, but he was a fast learner. He quickly discovered that all he had to do was think about the desired action and Henry cooperated. Being in complete control of Henry excited him so much that it was all he could do to hold back. He brought Henry to orgasm three times before he finally gave in to his own mounting and uncontrollable lust. As he came, he felt Henry shudder and give a great cry of release. They were so closely linked that Henry had experienced Bert’s orgasm as his own.

. . . . . . .

‘Bert, that was the best ever.’

‘For me, too, Henry.’ Better than that Simon, he bet.

‘Bert, er, I want you to know that it’s just been you and Stan. Simon and me, well, we just exchanged thoughts. We didn’t actually . . . well, we didn’t actually connect, or the other stuff.’

‘I thought you liked connecting and the “other stuff”.’ No one looking at the supersized hero would think he was so submissive, thought Bert.

‘Yeah, well, I like what you do a lot, Bert. Plus everyone expects me to be a “top” since I’m so big and all. But you’re the only person who understands that I like, well, I’m sort of submissive like.’

‘That’s ok, Henry. I like you the way you are.’

Henry smiled shyly at Bert. It was getting easier and easier to talk with Bert about his feelings.

‘Uh, Henry, can I ask a question? Your superpowers, when did you first become aware of them?’

‘Well, for a long time, I didn’t realize that I had them. I thought everybody could do what I do. I could sense other people’s pain, and then I would reach inside them and comfort them. I didn’t even realize what I was doing. It just seemed to be what you do, the natural thing to do, like patting someone on the back to make them feel better. Only I did my patting inside their mind. And then I didn’t understand why other people didn’t do the same to me when I was hurt. Except my mum, of course. She always had a hug for me when I felt bad, and that made me feel better. But that’s what mothers do, isn’t it? It’s not a superpower.’

‘Didn’t anyone else realize what you were doing?’

‘I don’t think so. Maybe this power is so far outside most people’s experience that it doesn’t occur to them that it exists. I suppose people just thought that I was friendly and sympathetic and a good listener.’

‘But when did you realize that not everyone had the power?’

‘It was when I got older and I started to get interested in . . . well, when I started to become a man. One day I was with one of my friends—Mike Williams—from down the street. You’ve met him. He and his wife have the new baby. We ran into them a couple of weeks back.’

‘I remember, with the pink stroller, right?’

‘Yes, the pink stroller. Well, it was raining outside, and we couldn’t be outside. I must have been about thirteen, fourteen at the time, and we were playing some game in our sitting room. I looked over at Mike and I realized that he was very attractive, and I started to wonder what it would be like to be naked with him and rubbing against each other. He got this confused look on his face, and then he started to take his shirt off. But my mum came in and sent him home. After he left, she sat me down and explained that I couldn’t do things like that. That it wasn’t nice and that I had to learn to control my powers and use them to help people. That it was wrong to use people for my own pleasure. That such things had to be mutual.’

‘Your mother explained this?’

‘Yes, mum’s very good at reading my mind. She always seems to know what I’m thinking.’

‘Does your mother have the power, too?’

‘No, I’d know if she did. I’d know if anyone else had it. Me and Simon and the EMG, I think that’s it. I wish I could reach Mum. There’s no telephone here. I suppose Simon uses a cell phone. Maybe I could walk down the road and find a phone box. She’ll be worried about me if she doesn’t hear from me.’

‘Where is she?’

‘She’s in Manchester. I’ve got the number in my wallet. Where did I take my pants off? It’s Friday, isn’t it? She’s not coming home until Monday.’

‘Henry, Sunday’s the day. I just remembered. That’s the date on the plaque the EMG put on your cabinet. Sunday, July 15, 2007. That’s the message I was sent to deliver. He’s going to harvest you on Sunday. That’s what he calls it, “harvesting”. He’s going to do it two days from now.’

* * *

‘She has proven to be very resistant, Sir Simon. Every time I sent an attendant to sedate her, she would do something to him and send him away. I tried drugging her food, but she seemed to know immediately what we were doing, and she would make the nurse bringing the food eat it. At one point, half the staff were asleep. Finally, I filled the room with an anaesthetic gas and put her out. Then I was able to inject her with the mind-altering drugs. I think they have worked, but I can’t guarantee that her mind has been softened up and her resistance overcome. Her powers are new in my experience.’

‘But she has been rendered harmless, Dr Esterhazy?’

‘I believe she has, Sir Simon. We will monitor you very closely, however, when you enter her mind. If you feel that she is instead entering your mind, you must get out of the chamber quickly. We think her powers have a range of about 20 feet.’

‘Impressive. As you know, I have to be in physical contact with a subject to exert control. Her other son seems to have a range of a few feet as well.’

‘Her other son?’

‘Yes, my brother, Dr Esterhazy. This is my mother. Well, shall we get started? You will enter the room first, Doctor. You are to concentrate on drugging her. Until I establish control over her, you are to serve as a decoy, Doctor, and distract her. Take a syringe and some alcohol swabs with you. Focus on the shot you are about to give her. If you succeed in injecting her with the mind-control drug, all will be well. If not, I will take other steps. I hope this is only a precaution, Doctor. If you have done your job satisfactorily, you will be in no danger, either from her or from me.’

“Yes, Sir Simon.’ Through the one-way observation mirror, he watched Dr Esterhazy enter the conditioning chamber. His mother appeared to be dozing in bed. Tight leather straps held her body and arms in place. Unfortunately, it had been more difficult to secure her mind. She had been rendered unconscious during her abduction by a dart from a tranquilizer gun, but in order to gain control over her mind, Simon needed her to be at least partially conscious. He couldn’t mould a drugged mind, and it appeared that if she were not fully drugged, she retained enough of her powers to stymie her captors. And he needed her cooperation for the next step in his plans.

Dr Esterhazy was carrying a tray with a hypodermic needle, a small bottle filled with a clear liquid, several cotton swabs, a rubber tube, and a bottle of disinfectant. He sat the tray on a table next to the bed and prepared to give Mrs Colson a shot of the mind-softener. He filled the hypodermic needle and saturated one of the swabs with the disinfectant. He rolled up his left sleeve and secured the rubber tube around his arm. After sterilizing his arm, he calmly injected himself with the drug that weakened the will and made it easier for Simon to take over a subject.

‘Fill the chamber with the anaesthesizing gas. Just enough to knock both of them out. How long before they return to consciousness?’

‘With a minimum dose of the gas, about five minutes.’

‘A minimum dose then. And prepare another hypodermic.’ Simon turned his attention back to the room as one of the attendants opened a valve. For a minute or so, there was no apparent effect. Then Dr Esterhazy slowly fell forward onto the bed. His mother took no visible notice of the white-clad figure lying across her legs.

‘Come with me.’ Simon and the two attendants entered the room. ‘Take him away. I will deal with him later.’ The attendants swiftly removed the doctor. Simon swabbed his mother’s arm and injected the clear fluid. It would begin taking effect before his mother awoke. He positioned himself next to the bed and put his fingers on his mother’s forehead. Her mind had the dense grey fog characteristic of the drugged subject. He positioned his mind tendrils at the edge of his mother’s consciousness. When he felt the first stirring of her mind, he tightened his control. He had to guide her before she had a chance to become fully conscious.

Mrs Colson floated back to awareness on a vast ocean of pleasure. She was with Simon. Simon was her favourite son. He had always been her favourite son. So good and kind and gentle. Always such a good boy. Not like Henry. Henry had always been her problem child, and now he was causing all this trouble with his silliness. Fancying himself a superhero. Well, Simon would help straighten him out. And she had to help Simon. And here was Simon. Such a good boy. And so handsome. Just like his father in that regard. Although he had more ambition than his father. So hard-working. As his mother, she had a duty to help him out. The two of them would straighten Henry out.

‘Mother, do you feel better now?’

‘Yes, son. So much better.’

‘Let me unfasten these straps then. We were afraid you would hurt yourself. We think you ate something that had gone bad. Would you like something to drink? A cup of tea perhaps?’

‘That would be lovely, Simon. Give me a little time to compose myself and freshen up, and then I think we should go see Henry. We need to act quickly.’

‘Excellent idea, Mother. But there’s plenty of time. No need to rush. The nurse will bring you a cup of tea. You’ve been through a bad time. You mustn’t push yourself. When you’re ready, we’ll visit Henry. He’s not far away.’

‘You’re so thoughtful, Simon. So nice to your mother. You have always been my favourite son.’

* * *

‘There’s a car coming. It’s got three people in it.’

‘That’s Simon’s car.’ Henry peered out the window. ‘Mum, he’s got Mum.’

Henry raced out the door and embraced his mother as she stepped out of the car. ‘Mum, I tried calling your hotel in Manchester, and they said you had left. Where have you been?’

‘Oh Henry, the EMG tried to abduct me. It was horrible. He almost succeeded, but Simon rescued me. I don’t know what would have happened to me if he hadn’t been there. Henry, we owe Simon so much. You must thank your brother properly.’

‘Brother?’

‘Well, half-brother. Simon is your older brother.’ Mrs Colson quickly related the history of her affair with Simon’s father and its issue.

‘So Simon is Henry’s brother?’

‘Yes, Bert. I heard that Simon rescued you from the EMG, too.’

‘No wonder he looks so much like Henry. I feel like I met him before.’

‘It’s good to see you awake, Bert. I understand from Henry that you had quite an ordeal.’ As Simon was shaking Bert’s hand, he tried once again to penetrate the sidekick’s mind. Again he encountered the blockages. He would have to find out from Henry just what he had done. Unfortunately, it sealed Bert’s fate. If Simon couldn’t control him, then Bert would have to be dealt with in another fashion.

‘Simon is my brother? Then we committed, oh my god, we committed . . . I slept with my own brother.’

‘I think Henry needs to sit down, Mother. Shall we go inside? Bert, I’m sorry to exclude you, but I think my brother and mother and I need to discuss some family matters. Could I ask you and my driver to go for a walk?’

‘Sure, if it’s all right with Henry.’

Mrs Colson reached over and stroked her younger son’s arm. ‘There are some things we need to talk about in private, Henry.’

‘It’s all right, Bert. I’m just surprised. I’ll be ok in a while.’

‘Well, as long as you’re fine with this, Henry.’

‘Lucian, if you’ll take Bert through those woods over there, you’ll reach the old canal. The towpath is still open. You can walk along that.’

‘Yes, Sir. Mr Peters, shall we go?’ Bert nodded to the chauffeur and the two of them walked away. Bert looked back just before they entered the woods, but Henry and his mother had already entered the house. Simon stood at the door and waved at him. It was odd, thought Bert, Mrs Colson now felt as cold as Simon. She had always been warm like Henry before. And this driver, Lucian. He felt blank.

‘Henry, sit beside me.’ Mrs Colson patted the cushion of the settee.

‘Mum, I don’t understand all of this.’

Simon pulled up a chair and sat at Henry side. He held out his hand, and Henry and he laced their fingers together.

‘Everything will be fine, Henry. Simon and I have worked everything out. We’re all going to be safe now.’

‘The EMG sent Bert back to deliver a message. He’s going to add me to his collection on Sunday.’

‘I’m not going to let that happen, Henry. Now that I’ve found my mother and brother, I’m not going to lose you to the EMG. It’s very simple, Henry. You just have to stop being the Brighton Rock.’

‘I want you to listen to Simon, Henry. He’s your older brother. We’ve talked it over, and he and I have decided that you have to give up this superhero foolishness. It’s my fault, Henry. When the people from the Ministry came and recruited you, I should have stepped in. They took advantage of you, Henry, and your dreams, son. They found your fantasy and offered to help you make it come true. They can’t defeat the EMG, so they keep sending so-called superheroes against him to keep him occupied. They know it’s hopeless. You’re a sacrificial lamb. They filled your head with this nonsense and sent you to the slaughter.’

‘It’s not like that, Mum. Bert and I have been doing good work.’

‘Now don’t argue with me, Henry. Bert’s part of their plan. They found out your weakness. They team you up with this Stan, and when he’s defeated by the EMG, they send this Bert along. They knew you couldn’t resist such a handsome man. Plus he’s dazzled you with his smooth talk and his experience. I’m still feeling a bit woozy from my experience with the EMG and Simon has arranged for me to be driven to a spa this afternoon where I can rest and recover. When I leave, Bert is going with me, and you and Simon are going to spend tomorrow together. Then on Sunday, we’re all going to Simon’s place. That’s going to be our home from now on. You and Simon will work together as brothers should. He’s going to find a place in his business for you.’

From left and right, Henry’s mind was bombarded with the message that he had to give up being a superhero. He knew his mum was right. He knew that his future lay with Simon. He had been such a fool. How could he have thought that his dreams of saving England were anything more than a foolish, childish fantasy. And Bert? Bert knew he was weak and easily led. Bert had taken advantage of him. His struggle was brief. When he nodded his head in agreement, he felt an enormous sensation of pleasure sweep over him. He now had a brother, and that brother would take care of him, forever.

‘Now that that’s settled, I’ll make us a pot of tea. Simon, is the kitchen down the hall?’

‘Yes, it’s the room on the right, but I’m afraid that I don’t keep much cooking equipment here, Mother.’ After Mrs Colson had left the room, Simon stroked the back of Henry’s head. ‘Everything will be fine, Henry. We’ll live together and use our powers to benefit everyone. Just let me into your life, Henry. I can introduce you to a world of bliss and comfort.’

Henry felt wonderful. Simon was so good. He wanted so badly to win Simon’s approval. Simon bent over and kissed his forehead. There was an intense flash of delight inside his head. ‘How soon before we can be alone?’

‘Now, Henry, let Mother have her cup of tea. We’ll have plenty of time to be together tonight and tomorrow and the rest of our lives, for that matter.’

* * *

Bert tried to sort out his thoughts as he walked along the towpath. Luckily Simon’s driver was not much of a talker. Bert’s initial impression of blankness was confirmed each time he approached close enough to feel the other man’s mind. This was what a zombie must be like, he thought. The strangeness of the man only added to his unease. He was sure that Simon was up to something. And until he knew what that was, he couldn’t make plans. The peacefulness of the woods through which they were walking hardly impinged on his consciousness. His mind was filled with contradictory thoughts. He was happy that Henry had found a brother, but he wished he felt better about the brother. Then, there were his newfound powers. Henry’s treatment of him had either awakened mind-control powers he already had or had transferred them to him. Either way, he wasn’t sure how he should use them. And he had to tell Henry that he had them. And then there was the matter of his feelings for Henry. It was no use pretending to himself any more that he didn’t care for Henry. He did, he cared a lot. And now that Henry had a brother, and a brother that he had been to bed with, what place would Bert have in his life?

Ahead of him, the driver stopped. He reached into his jacket and pulled out a phone. ‘Yes, Sir? . . . Yes, we’ll return. We didn’t walk far. It should take us about twenty minutes.’

He pocketed the phone and then turned to Bert. ‘They’re ready to leave. They want us back.’

Bert turned around on the path and began walking back. He became aware that the driver had pulled a gun out of his shoulder holster only a few seconds before the driver squeezed the trigger and the powerful tranquilizer dart sped through the air. The two men clad in camouflage who had been walking parallel to them through the woods emerged onto the path when they saw Bert drop to the ground. They would have only a short walk carrying Bert before they came to the main road and the waiting van.

The chauffeur paused only briefly after shooting Bert. Once he had received his instructions, he continued walking towards the house in the woods. He had finished one task and already forgotten it. He had another assignment to carry out.

* * *

‘There’s the driver now. No, don’t get up, Henry. I’m capable of opening a car door myself. Simon will walk me out. I want to have a word with him. I’ll see you on Sunday.’ Mrs Colson bent over the chair in which Henry was sitting and kissed him on the forehead. He suddenly felt tired and exhausted. It would be too much effort to see his mother out. Besides Simon would take care of it. ‘Ok, Mum.’ He leaned his head back in the chair and closed his eyes. He wasn’t sure how he felt about Simon being his brother. Perhaps it was only natural since she had just been reunited with her long-lost son, but his mother seemed to favour Simon. She had been distinctly cold toward him. And he knew that he didn’t like Simon and his mother ganging up on him and forcing him to give up his career. And they were just wrong about Bert.

The voices of his mother and Simon receded as they walked outside. After a minute or so, he heard the engine start and Simon calling out, ‘Good-bye, Mother. We’ll see you on Sunday.’ A short time later, Simon closed the front door. Henry felt a cool hand on his forehead.

‘Everything will be fine, Henry. Just relax.’ He sensed Simon sending a strong thought of relaxation into his mind. It felt so good just to relax and let Simon tend to him. He now had a brother, someone to share his life. He wished he didn’t feel such conflicting emotions. One moment he felt happy to be with Simon and thrilled that he now had a brother. The next moment he felt that too much in his life was changing too quickly.

‘I didn’t say good-bye to Bert.’

‘It’s ok, Henry. Don’t worry about Bert. I’ve made arrangements for him. I’ll find him employment in one of my businesses.’

For just a second Henry had an image of Bert dancing wildly in a cage at some nightclub, a vacant look on his face, his eyes glazed, as his body gyrated to the beat of the music, his hands stroking his body as he offered the promise of sex. He was wearing the black jockstrap again. Henry snapped to, with a startled look on his face. ‘That’s not right.’

‘What’s not right, Henry?’ Simon continued to rub Henry’s temples with the tips of his fingers. There was a grey fog in Henry’s mind. He was so tired again, every muscle felt loose and limp. ‘I can’t remember. Just some thought.’ Simon was being so kind. Henry felt so grateful to him that he sent a pulse of pleasure into his brother’s body.

‘Ohhhhhh.’ Simon gasped convulsively for air and staggered backward away from Henry, breaking the mind link. ‘Henry, you must warn me before you do that. You don’t know your own strength.’ Henry knew that Simon enjoyed what he could do. It was like a game. Suddenly, he no longer felt tired, rather playful as a matter of fact.

‘I’ll warn you by whistling.’ He pursed his lips together and blew. At the same time, he reached across the mental space separating him from Simon and sent a flash of desire into his brother’s mind.

The effect on Simon was startling. He dropped to his knees and bent forward. ‘Henry, don’t, you’re not being fair. I can’t reach into you unless I’m touching you.’

‘Then, come here, brother, and touch me.’ Henry stood up and removed his clothing. He sent a gentler wave of desire into Simon. He could tell from the way that Simon looked at him that his brother wanted him, wanted him badly. He rather enjoyed the feeling of power that gave him. Mum had been rather too partial to Simon during her visit, and Henry wasn’t used to sharing her affections. He could use his powers on his brother. Simon wasn’t like Bert, who was defenceless. Simon could fight back, if he wanted to. But Henry thought that his powers might be stronger than Simon’s.

Simon looked up at his brother. He had such a beautiful body. So smooth, so luscious, so moist, so succulent. He was sculpted like a god. Every muscle was separately defined. Henry’s chest was so big. Simon was hardly aware of the next wave emanating from Henry. His eyes fastened on Henry’s nipples. He knew that he had to suck them. Nothing else mattered. He had to lick them, to take them between his lips. And to send waves of pleasure into Henry so that Henry’s pleasure intensified. He had to do it. And then Henry would make him feel even better. He stood up and approached Henry. Henry reached out and began unbuttoning Simon’s shirt. As Henry’s fingers touched his chest, Simon tickled Henry’s pleasure centre. Henry laughed, ‘That’s better, Simon.’

Henry conjured up what Bert had made him feel only a few hours earlier. He sent the warm feeling in his groin deep into Simon and glowed with pleasure when he heard Simon gasp. He unfastened Simon’s belt and unzipped his pants. Simon was not wearing underwear. He cupped Simon’s cock and balls in his hand. He could feel his brother getting aroused and he adjusted Simon’s excitement up a notch. ‘That’s better. Shall we keep you at this level for an hour or so, Brother?’

‘Don’t torture me, Henry. I can’t take this.’

‘Torture? Does this seem like torture to you? How odd that you should mention the word. Do you want to be tortured, Simon?’ Henry’s thoughts flickered to the belt on Simon’s pants.

‘Not the belt. I haven’t been spanked since school.’

‘But you enjoyed it then, didn’t you?’

‘Yes, yes. It’s wonderful. The crack of leather hitting flesh. The sharp sting echoing through the body. Please, Henry.’

‘Please, what?’

‘Please, Henry, spank with my belt.’

Henry swiftly pulled the belt from Simon’s pants and yanked his pants down. He looped the belt in his fist and bent Simon forward at the waist. Part of his mind registered that he was behaving strangely. He had never wanted to spank anyone before. He didn’t like hurting people. It was as if the same force that had almost made him rape Bert the night before had taken over. But it felt much stronger than it had when he had laid Bert’s abused body on the couch in his mother’s sitting room. Whack! The belt struck Simon across the buttocks. A red welt appeared immediately. Henry sent the thought into Simon’s mind that he really enjoyed this. ‘Please, Henry, another one.’

‘I’m going to own your ass, Simon.’ The belt hissed through the air again. Now he knew something was wrong. He didn’t say things like that. But he rather liked the Henry who did say such things.

Simon’s mind was in turmoil. He wanted Henry to keep spanking him. He loved the feeling. It suddenly came to him that he had wanted this for years. But he also hated being controlled. He was the EMG. No one, not even his brother, could treat him like this. The pain of the belt striking his ass forced the thought ‘stop’ out of his mind and into Henry.

Henry dropped the belt. He was appalled at his behaviour. ‘Oh, Simon, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what got into me. I’ve never done that before.’ As Simon sent a strong impulse toward contrition into Henry’s mind, Henry lifted him from the floor and embraced him. ‘I’ll kiss it and make it better.’ Henry was as good as his word. As he began kissing Simon’s rear, Simon immediately felt better. He sent the thought into Henry that Henry enjoyed licking Simon’s ass. Immediately, Henry began licking even more vigorously. He used his mind-control powers to strengthen the sensation Simon was experiencing. Simon felt weak in the legs, and he dropped to his hands and knees and bent forward doggy style. The next lick from Henry’s tongue was very long and very slow and very wet, and applied to a very sensitive area. His tongue had suddenly developed an incredible agility and manoeuvrability. With an adroitness and a skill no one would have suspected that he had, Henry vibrated the hard tip of his tongue against Simon as he blasted Simon with the strongest wave of pleasure yet. Simon fell flat on the floor.

‘Oh, sorry, I forgot to warn you by whistling.’

‘I’ll forgive you. Just do that again. And don’t waste time whistling.’

* * *

Five hours later, Simon and Henry lay exhausted on the carpet in the upstairs bedroom. Their struggle had taken them throughout the house. Upstairs and downstairs, they had explored every gratification each room afforded. Simon would not have guessed a kitchen contained such useful implements. That antique egg-beater thingy—what a marvellous invention. They had ended on the upper floor. Henry lay on his stomach, his eyes closed, half-asleep. Simon lay propped up on his side, stroking Henry’s back. He supposed that in the end the victory had gone to Henry. At some point, he had been overcome by the pleasures that Henry was pressing on him, and he had begged Henry to take him and use him. Henry had shown no mercy, but he exacted an odd sort of victory. He had brought Simon to the brink of orgasm and then held him there for what seemed an eternity, refusing to let Simon come and making Simon endure endless ecstasy. Simon had passed beyond words, beyond thought, into some realm in which his brother reduced him to a hot white light. He wasn’t even sure that Henry had had an orgasm.

This would, Simon decided, necessitate a change in plans. He did not know how Henry had learned these skills in such a short time; he certainly hadn’t shown such talents when they had met in Selsey. But it would be a waste to freeze Henry’s body in Dr Esterhazy’s eternal stasis and display him in the trophy room. No, Henry’s fate would be to become a robot under Simon’s control, a robot who could take his brother on flights of pleasure. The trick would be to harness this ability of Henry’s without destroying it. Henry would have to become one of his guards. He wondered if jockstraps came in an extra-large size. Well, he still had all of Saturday to decide what he would do. He would keep to his original timetable. Sunday was soon enough. Henry presented more problems than he had anticipated. He would use Saturday to lull Henry into a sense of false security.

He sent a mind tendril into Henry. Good, his brother was exhausted. Simon pushed Henry into sleep. He could sense that part of Henry’s mind was still on alert. It had been a mistake to warn Henry that the EMG was coming. But he had never been able to resist issuing challenges. It would make the victory sweeter now that he knew Henry was on guard. Tomorrow would be an idyllic day. By the end of it, Henry would be so sure that his brother loved him and cared for him that he would not suspect that any danger might come from Simon.

The carpet was making his skin itch. Simon stood up and rearranged the bed covers. He didn’t recall how they had become so tangled. From the way they were tossed about the room, he and Henry must have been disporting themselves on the bed at some point. It wasn’t a big bed and he was in no mood to share a cramped space with Henry. Henry could sleep on the floor tonight. Simon lay down on his side facing Henry’s body and reached over the side of the bed to touch his brother. So many mysteries. Not at all the naïve little brother he had imagined. That placid, bovine exterior hid deep currents of eroticism.

Henry was fast asleep now. It should be safe to explore his mind a bit. He could always withdraw if Henry began to awaken. First, there was the mystery of Bert. Simon had never run across anyone whose mind was closed to his. Henry and his mother could fight back and affect him with their powers, but even their minds weren’t closed to his. He could deceive Henry and prevent him from learning that he was the EMG, but he couldn’t keep Henry out completely. So where was Bert in Henry’s mind? Simon imagined a file cabinet with the label ‘Bert Peters.’ Show me Bert, Henry, he thought.

The problem, Simon soon discovered, was not that Bert was hidden in an obscure corner of Henry’s mind. Bert was everywhere. Every fold of Henry’s brain, every ganglion, seemed to be filled with traces of Bert. That in itself was also a useful fact to learn. Bert would have to be cleaned from Henry’s mind. Divided loyalties were not part of Simon’s plans for Henry. Chit-chat about costumes. That didn’t seem a promising skein of thought. Ah, here, was a strong memory. What an ugly room. Bert sitting beside Henry on a narrow bed. The ceiling of the room sloped down to meet the walls. Henry couldn’t stand up straight except in the middle of the room.

‘You seem tense tonight, Henry.’

‘I pulled a muscle in my shoulder today when I was gardening.’

‘I can help with that. Pull off your jersey.’

‘You’re always trying to get me to undress.’

‘Yes. And you always do. So stop being modest.’

‘Be careful, Bert. It’s really sore.’

As Bert moved behind Henry, he disappeared from Simon’s view. Simon felt Bert’s hands upon his/Henry’s shoulders. There was a soft kiss between his shoulder blades and another on the back of his neck. Henry/Simon gave a small growl of pleasure. Bert’s warm hands were on his shoulders. At first there was only a gentle pressure, more a vibration than a movement. Bert’s soft voice whispered in his ears, he was just floating on a lake, drifting quietly, the boat rocking and barely moving in the breeze. The sun was so warm overhead. It was so quiet and peaceful. He felt that he was floating in a pool of serenity. Bert’s hands were massaging his shoulders more forcibly now, kneading the kink out of his shoulder. It was a bit painful but it also felt so good. And then the tenseness disappeared from his shoulders. It just disappeared from his face and neck. A huge wave of relaxation and warmth spread downward from the top of his head to this feet. And Bert’s soft voice took him further and further down into relaxation.

Henry/Simon relaxed onto the bed, so comfortable. He was safe in Bert’s wonderful hands. He could relax and just drift while Bert took care of him. Bert untied his shoes and slipped them off. Then he loosened his belt and eased his pants off. And then his briefs and his socks. The wonderful massage continued. Bert’s magic hands spreading pleasure and comfort throughout his body. His legs felt so light. They just rose in the air and came to rest lightly on Bert’s shoulders. Bert stood between his legs and pressed up against him. Bert was so sexy. More than anything else, he just wanted to surrender to Bert and be taken by Bert. Bert undressed and then pressed his groin against the base of Simon’s balls. Simon had never had another man do this to him. It was incredibly sexy to feel Bert’s hair against him and his . . . his thingy . . . pushing against him. He felt weak and helpless. He knew he could not resist Bert. Nor did he want to. He wanted Bert inside him. No one had even been inside Simon. Until a short while before he would not have imagined that he would ever want anyone inside him. But Bert would be so gentle and he would feel so good. He parted his legs further.

He heard someone groan as Bert entered him. The feeling of what—relief, submission—he didn’t know what it was, but it was wonderful to be joined to Bert, to be pumped, to feel that rocking motion, to experience that sense of being invaded and stimulated, to be . . . . Henry/Simon didn’t like that word. It sounded brutish and nasty. It fell so far short of describing the reality, and the reality was so splendid. Bert made him feel so special. No one could make him feel as good as Bert. He just had to relax and to let Bert . . .

Henry shifted in his sleep and moved away from Simon’s hand. As the contact was broken, Simon was left gasping in frustration. He needed Bert. Is that what he had been missing all these years? And by this time, Bert had already been in Dr Esterhazy’s hands for several hours. The chemicals had probably destroyed most of his mind by now. A precious natural resource had been despoiled.

Simon wanted Bert so badly that he could almost see him. There, standing in the doorway to the room. He knew he was hallucinating. But he needed the relief. He lay back and closed his eyes and raised his legs, trying to recapture the moment. And then miraculously, he felt Bert’s warm flesh pressed against him, and Bert entering him again. And Bert’s soft voice was shimmering in his mind again, telling him to relax, making him relax, relax further than he ever had before, to let everything go, to reveal everything.

Henry stirred in his sleep. He had been having this wonderful dream about Bert and reliving one of their more memorable joinings. And then it was broken off. Someone was calling him, Bert was telling him to wake up and help. Suddenly Henry knew that Bert was being attacked by the EMG. The EMG was there in the room with them. He sensed the presence of overwhelming evil. The same evil that had been in Bert the night before. The same evil he could sense in his mother. The same evil that had been hovering at the edge of his consciousness now for several hours.

‘Henry, help me. I can’t hold him. It’s the EMG. It’s going to take both of us to subdue him.’

In the dark room, Henry could sense that Bert was struggling with someone. Bert had the EMG pinned down but the two of them were thrashing back and forth. Bert had the EMG’s legs raised in the air, but he had his hands full. Henry knew that the EMG couldn’t touch Bert’s mind, but physically Bert was fighting to hold him and make him submit. But where was Simon? The EMG must have overcome him and defeated him. And where had Bert come from?

No time for questions now. Henry gathered his mental powers and unleashed the most powerful bolt of oblivion he had ever formed. The figure on the bed cried out in—was that agony or bliss? It sounded rather like the noise Henry heard himself make when Bert brought him to orgasm.

‘Quick, Henry. Before he recovers. Reform him.’ Henry needed no further encouragement. He invaded the EMG’s mind. He didn’t have to search far to find the evil. It was everywhere. The man had no conscience. Well, that was easily remedied. Henry’s task was simplified since the EMG’s mind was so far gone in evil that it was simpler just to wipe everything clean. He gave the EMG the strongest dose of remorse he could. When he was satisfied that the EMG was destroyed and a good person established, he withdrew.

‘Are you ok, Bert?’

‘I am now, Henry. You did it. You defeated the EMG.’ Bert hugged Henry and laughed deliriously.

Henry switched on the light. In its soft glow, he became aware first that Bert’s pants were down about his ankles and second that his hand was resting on the warm flesh of Bert’s wonderfully round and firm buttocks. He stroked the flesh and trailed his fingers along the crack. ‘We did it, chum. We did it together. You were magnificent.’ Henry lifted Bert in his arms and hugged him tightly. ‘But where did you come from? Simon said you had left.’

‘When you worked on my mind last night, you also gave me mind-control powers. He had his driver attack me with a stun gun. But I sensed what he was doing and I dove to the ground. I was able to gain control of the driver and his two henchmen before they could overpower me. I sent the two henchmen away and sent the driver back here to pick up your mother and then I waited in the woods until it was safe for me to enter and attack him. I could feel you struggling with him all day long.’

‘Who are you talking about, Bert? Who’s “him”?’

‘Him.’ Bert pointed to the bed. ‘Sir Simon Lucas. He’s the EMG.’

Henry spun around and looked at the figure collapsed on the bed. He knew in an instant that Bert was right. His brother was the EMG. The man he had spent several hours . . . entertaining that afternoon and evening was the EMG. The man who had spent several hours entertaining him that day was the EMG. He had been fraternizing with the enemy.

Simon’s eyes fluttered open. ‘Bert, oh Bert, that was wonderful. That was the best ever. Bertie-kins, my studly hunk, I can’t live without you. Marry me. I’ll shower you with riches. Name what you want. I’ll get it for you.’

‘Uh, Henry, I think we’ll have to, uh, make one more adjustment in the EMG’s mind.’

* * *

It took the better part of a month for Bert and Henry to put things to right. With their help, Sir Simon Lucas was making amends for his life of crime by running the Brighton Rock Institute for the Reform and Rehabilitation of the Criminally Afflicted (BRIRRCA). His mental powers now a force for good, Simon swiftly liberated his legions of guards and restored them to society. One by one, his former associates and subordinates in the world of crime underwent spectacular conversions. Unfortunately it proved impossible to restore the many superheroes in his trophy room to consciousness. But they attracted so many paying visitors that the admissions fees covered the cost of operating the centre.

Although Henry and Bert were able to return Mrs Colson to sanity, sadly it proved beyond their combined powers to disabuse Simon of his affection for Bert. Although he no longer expressed his lust for Bert so vocally, Bert’s presence was enough to arouse him. He couldn’t take his eyes off Bert, and he was always finding excuses to touch him. Now and then, he would sigh ‘Bertie-kins’ and burst into tears.

A grateful nation expressed its thanks to the two superheroes in many ways. The same newspapers that had called for an investigation of the Brighton Rock now featured stories on his favourite recipes and his secrets for growing healthy chrysanthemums (biweekly spraying of the Bordeaux mixture for fungus, light applications of a 10-10-20 fertilizer once a month, ground watering only). Mrs Colson could name her own price for the superhero costumes she designed. And Bert had negotiated the movie rights to their story for a handsome sum and the right to designate the actors that would play them. He was still of two minds which actor should play him. He wasn’t sure that any of the candidates mentioned so far would really do him justice.

Henry drove the new car the Ministry had insisted he accept through the outskirts of Brighton. ‘Better slow down. It’s the second right.’ Bert pointed ahead to the intersection. ‘I think you’ll like this house, Henry. It’s got very high ceilings, so you won’t be bumping your head all the time. It’s semidetached and has a large yard so you can garden. There are no other houses close by. And there’s one other great thing about this place. You know how loudly you growl and how you always have to hold it in because you don’t want to disturb the neighbours.’

‘That’s getting harder and harder to do, Bert.’

‘I know. Me, too, Henry. Some days I just want to shout. You’re getting so skilled you’re driving me crazy.’

‘So what’s the other reason this place is good?’

‘The man next door lives alone, and he’s deaf. We can roar as loudly as we like.’