The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Chosen of Destiny

By Michael Everlast

Chapter Two

Michael had a plethora of emotion as he stood beside the two women that just seemed to appear out of nowhere and drop into his life. They were standing at the nurse’s desk and Lace was filling out his release papers. I’m surprised the police haven’t been by to ask questions. He thought.

He looked down at the clothes he was wearing. A brand-new pair of jeans and a t-shirt. A new pair of sneakers also. Apparently Lace went shopping for him. He liked what he was wearing . . . He just missed his shades. He thought it would sound silly to anyone else, but he felt naked without them.

“And that’s about it Ms. Carson. I hope Taylar County hospital treated your son with the care he deserved.” The nurse said politely.

“Oh, they treated him just fine.” She said turning to Michael and waving him to follow her out of the hospital. She noted the confused look on Michael’s face and also noted the fact that Renae stuck close to his side. I guess she takes her job seriously, that’s a good thing.

When they made it to the door, Michael couldn’t take it any longer. “I didn’t know California had a ‘Taylar County.’” He said to Renae.

“I don’t know if they do either . . . But I KNOW Michigan does.” She replied as they walked out the door.

“Huh?” Then he looked at the scenery . . . And the half foot of snow. Then he put two and two together. “What?!?!?” He screamed.

Lace about jumped out of her skin. She made a show of putting a hand over her heart. “By the Gods, what’s wrong Michael?”

Michael shot questions at her like bullets. “What city am I in? What state am I in? And what the fuck day is it?!” He screamed. He was REAL close to panic.

And Lace and Renae could see that. “You should really work on your language, Michael.” Renae joked, trying to lighten the mood.

Michael just gave her a direct look.

“I’ll answer what questions I can when we get in the car, Michael . . . Just try to calm down. Please?” She asked sincerely.

I hate it when they say ‘Please?’. He thought. I’m like putty in a girl’s hand when they do that. “Yeah, whatever.” He grumbled and started to follow Lace to her car.

The car. The car was what looked to be a brand-new Dodge Durango. Michael was impressed but he didn’t let on. He climbed into the back seat, expecting Renae to climb in the front with Lace. But, to his surprise, she crawled right into the back seat with him, close enough for him to smell her natural fragrance.

And with that thought, Lace pulled out of the parking lot of the hospital. Michael waited patiently as they drove through the small town of Taylor. Then he couldn’t take it anymore. “Well?”

Lace gave a sigh. “You are in Taylar, Michigan and its Friday morning.” She said simply, looking in the rear-view mirror. Michael looked pale. “Why don’t you know where you are? The doctor said there was nothing wrong with you. What’s the last thing you remember?”

“You’re the one’s with all the fuckin’ answers . . . You tell me. How did I get in the hospital?” He snapped at both of them. He saw the hurt look on Lace’s face and immediately felt bad. “I’m sorry, I’m just a bit edgy.”

“It’s all right, Michael and as for how you got to the hospital . . . A cop found you in the alley and you feinted on him.” That’s an understatement, but I don’t want him to freak.

Michael sat back in silence for a moment. Why can’t I remember. I wish I could remember something. Anything. He thought, frustrated. “Why?”

“Why did you feint? I don’t know.” Lace said as she made a corner.

“No,” Michael started, he was feeling tired. “Why did you adopt me?”

Hmmm. Now is NOT the time to go into that. Lace thought wryly. “Let’s just say that you are what I’ve been looking for and leave it at that. For now?” She asked, turning on a dirt road.

Michael went very still and quiet, as he just looked out the window. It was not unusual for him to go quiet when he was angry. It wasn’t that he wanted to give them the quiet treatment, it was just that he was afraid that he would lose his cool if he talked or listened much more. And if he was certain of one thing, it was: Bad things happened when he lost his temper.

With a talent that he learned long ago, he blocked all of the problems and questions out of his mind and just tried to enjoy the scenery. It was quiet nice really. Much greener than L.A. They drove for miles with no one saying anything, but that was ok.

It was close to fifteen minutes before Michael let out an audible sigh. “How did you know that I was at the hospital?” He asked, still looking out the window. He didn’t bother to ask how she knew that he was the one that she was looking for. He figured she wouldn’t tell him anyway.

“A friend of mine is a nurse there. She called me after you was brought in.” She said, turning down another dirt road. “She said that your shoulder was and back was badly burned.” This was said casually. She wanted to gauge how much he knew about his true self.

Michael only nodded at the statement, trying to look nonchalant. That little fact was a secret he kept close to his vest. He healed faster than he should. But as far as he knew that was the only strange thing, besides his personality, about him. He never really thought of the ability much. It was just something had always been there, like the birth mark that looked like flames.

In all truth, there was not one scar on Michael’s body. So, that lead him to believe that he had this ability since his birth. He never told anyone though, for fear of them calling him a freak. And at that moment he had a sneaking suspicion that this ability was part of the reason that Lace adopted him.

If she wants to make me into a lab rat, I’m bolting. He with suspicion. But he was going to play it by ear just to see what these two beautiful ladies were up to.

At least he isn’t surprised about his fast healing ability. Renae thought with a smile. Maybe he won’t panic when he finds out about the rest. Just in case, Renae and Lace had told the rest of the kids at the house not to talk about it when they arrived. “So, where did you live before you came to our fair town?” She asked him with a lopsided grin, trying to lighten his mood a little.

Hmmm. Good question. Michael thought with an inward chuckle. “Anywhere and everywhere.” He replied. Which was true, he knew dozens of people that would let him crash with them when he needed a place to sleep.

“What town?” Renae asked a little exasperated. She also noticed that he noticed the exasperated tone to her voice, giving her a crooked grin for her trouble. God, he looks cute when he looks like that. She thought. Then mentally slapped herself. I’m supposed to be his Watcher! What I’m I thinking?

“Los Angeles,” He started, then gave a frown. Kerry . . . She’s gonna be worried. He thought. But a totally different thought popped into his spinning mind. “Is it just you and Renae that live at your place, or is there other people. Are you married? Do you have more children?”

Boy, he shoot can shoot questions like bullets. Renae and Lace thought in unison.

Lace laughed at all the questions. “No, I’m not married,” She started, stopping the Durango. “And as to the rest . . . You’re about to find out.”

Michael looked where they stopped, through the windshield. There was a very large iron double gate, with plaque in the middle of it. The plaque looked either solid gold or gold plated. But what was engraved on it is what caught most of Michael’s attention.

“Destiny”

Fitting. That is if everything works out. Michael thought with a grim look. He watched with curious eyes as Lace hit the button to let the window with a humming noise. She reached out and pushed a button that was on a speaker that was attached to a pole.

After pushing and holding the button, a voice came through the speaker. “Well, the infamous Lace returns with the Prodigal Son.” The voice said with a humorous chuckle.

Brooklyn. The girl on the other side of the speaker sounds like a native of Brooklyn. Michael thought, bemused. He then looked at Lace and noticed that she did not look amused at the girl’s statement. “Just open the gate, Alex. And be quick about it.” She said in a neutral voice, but the hardness in her eyes relied something else.

“You got it boss.”

And with that, the large iron gates separate slowly. Lace looked into the review mirror to see a confused look on his face. “Just be patient, Michael. Answers will come in do time.” She said, her eyes reassuring.

Michael just gave a nod looked over at Renae. “Is this the kind of surprise that I’m gonna hate? You should know I hate surprises anyway.” He said with a sober look.

“Nah, you’ll like the others. Some of them got their strange ways, but then again, I think you have a few yourself.” She replied with a wink.

Strange ways? What the hell have I gotten myself into this time? He thought to himself as the Durango pulled through the now open gates. Then a question popped into his head. “How’d she know that it was us?” He asked this to Renae.

“Security cameras.” She answered, simply.

“Security cameras,” He repeated, looking back at Lace. “Are you rich or somethin’?”

“Did you know that it’s politically incorrect to ask that?” Lace replied with a smirk.

Michael sat back, looking at Renae. “Does she always answer questions with questions?”

Only the one’s she want’s to avoid,” She said with a contemplative look. “But don’t worry, it annoys me too when she does that.” She said, patting his knee.

The spot where she patted him tingled and threw his thoughts off track, almost enough to miss what Lace’s residents looked like. Almost. When he looked through the window . . . If his chin could have hit his chest it would have. It was the most impressive place he had ever seen.

It was a four-story mansion with a yard (well, he guessed that rich people would call it “grounds”) that was huge. It had hedges lined all down the long drive. Fuck me, maybe I did luck out. He thought, impressed.

Renae saw the boy’s expression and reached over with one finger and tapped the bottom of his chin, making him promptly snap his mouth closed in embarrassment. “Believe me, I felt the same damn way when I saw the place for the first time.”

Finally, they reached the end of the driveway and parked in front of the four-car garage. “Home sweet home,” Lace said with a cheerful note and stepped out of the car. Then she poked her head back in. “Well, c’mon.” Then pulled her head out and started for the house.

For what seemed like the first time in his fifteen years, Michael was actually worried about what people thought of him. I’m so out of my fuckin’ element. He thought. He was also deathly still.

Renae, as if reading his thoughts, placed a hand on his shoulder. “I can tell by the look on you’re face about what you’re thinking of. Trust me, you’ll fit right in with this crowd.” She told him reassuringly.

“Crowd?!” He said with alarm, misunderstanding.

“No, there aren’t that many. Just . . . Just c’mon. You’ll find out.” She said lightly, opening her door and getting out.

Mikey, ya gotta quit this chicken shit routine and make your legs move! He scolded himself. “Besides, if they don’t like me . . . Fuck’em.” He mumbled under his breath.

As he walked around the Durango to stand beside Renae, he slid into what he liked to call ‘Poker Playing Mode’. His face lit into a somewhat charming smile. In this ‘Mode’ nothing would surprise him and nothing would piss him off. And he would give off no emotion . . . Save charm. He always was proud of himself for acquiring this ability.

He walked up to Renae with a completely relaxed posture. “Ready when you are, Blondie.”

What happened? It looks like he did a one-eighty on me. What happened to the nervous Michael? Although, he looks even cuter like this. Then scolding herself, once again, for thinking these thoughts. “Right this way, Mr. Davidson.” And started for the front door.

Lace had left it open for them. Renae noticed that Michael walked through the door like he owned it. I hope he doesn’t get cocky with the other’s . . . I hate it when the Chosen’s fight. They hurt the house more than they do each other. Renae thought wryly.

Michael was very impressed, but he didn’t show it. His glacial blue eyes scanned the VERY large room with impassiveness. The paintings and vases looked like they should have been in a museum instead of here. Yep, she’s as rich as all get out. He thought with a chuckle.

Lace was no where to be seen. “What’s so funny?” Renae asked with a bemused expression.

“Nothing. Nothing at all, Blondie.” He replied. Then he heard Lace’s voice, but it was coming from a speaker that was in the ceiling.

<’All of us are in the den. Hurry up.’>

Renae started walking and Michael followed. Why do I let him call me ‘Blondie’? I’d deck the others for that. “She’s abrupt, huh.” She heard Michael say from behind her.

“Yeah, but you get used to it.” She replied with ease.

The walked through the very large room with purpose. I’ve seen houses’ that were smaller than this room. Michael thought. Finally they made it out of the room and walked into then. The den was very nice. It wasn’t as big as the other room, but it was stacked with all kinds of nice things. But his attention was on the three teenagers on the large sofa. Lace was standing beside them.

The teenagers on the couch were interesting, to say the least. There were two girls and one boy. The girls were strikingly beautiful and about his age. The redhead was wearing slacks and a blouse (sorta like Renae’s) and had dark green eyes. She looked to have a perfect body.

The boy on her left was dressed in a three-piece suit that Michael would have bet a fortune was Armani. He had jet black hair and brown eyes that were behind the round spectacles he was wearing.

But the person that caught his attention the most was the girl on the right side of the redhead. She had sandy blonde hair that was drawn back in a ponytail, with a stray lock of hair covering the left side of her face. He noted her shades. They were just like the ones he had in L.A.. She was wearing a black leather jacket with black jeans and silver tipped black boots.

Damn I wish I could see her eyes. He thought. He noted what all of them looked like in a mere few seconds and turned to Lace. “Sorry I’m late . . . Got side-tracked by this huge fuckin’ room on the way in. Damndest thing I ever saw.” He said with a thick street accent.

He noticed the girl in the leather jacket cover her mouth with her hand to smother a smile. Lace laughed a bit then spoke to the teenagers on the couch, gesturing towards Michael. “Michael here already knows myself and Renae. So, I think it’s your turn to introduce yourselves.”

The redhead nodded and stood up, walking to Michael holding out her hand. “My name’s Gina Tomas.” She said as Michael clasped her hand. After she let go of his hand, Michael looked behind her to the other girl. Gina moved out of his way so that he could get a better view.

The girl lowered her mirror-plated shades to reveal the same glacial blue eyes that Michael possessed. “Alexandria Blackman. But call me Alex.” Her voice was smooth and velvet, yet . . . Yet, it held a note of deathly power. That’s what Kerry said my voice sounded like. He thought.

“Call me Mikey . . . And it’s a pleasure to meet ya.” He said, transfixed by the girls blue eyes. No wonder she wears shades . . . Probably gets tired of people staring at her.

Michael figured he had better quit staring because Alex took on a knowing smile. He looked at the boy in the suit. He arched an eyebrow expectantly. The boy looked nervous as hell. His hands were fidgeting. But finally he got up and walked over to him “M-M-My name is Jim Walters.” He stuttered out.

Michael shook his hand with a confused look. “Nice to me ya.” Jim let go of his hand and went to sit back on the couch. What is his problem?? Michael thought.

“Ok, now that everyone has been introduced,” She looked at the three teenagers. “And I’ve informed you of Michael’s status before I left this morning, I think you should get him settled into his new room. Alex?”

Alex stood up with the grace of a jungle cat and walked towards Michael. Just watching her sent shivers up his spine. “Right this way, Golden Boy.” She said with a crooked smile as she walked out the door.

Michael’s eyes shot to Lace. He wanted his answers dammit. “But—”

Lace interrupted him, correctly understanding what he was going to argue. “Alex will answer your questions, but probably later tonight. She wants to get to know you first.”

Michael was reluctantly mollified. If he was truthful he would say that the only reason he was mollified was because he would get to know the girl in the leather jacket better. “Whatever,” He replied with a shrug.

The redhead spoke up at that moment. “You had best hurry . . . Alex tends to move quickly.”

Fuck. It’d be my luck to lose her and get lost. He thought, turning on his heal and walking out the door at a fast clip. I swear I almost feel drawn to her when I look at her . . . She just seems so . . . He searched for the right word. Right. She just seems so damn right. Whatever that means. He thought.

As he made it out of the door, he heard Jim say in a hushed whisper, “I can’t believe you found him!”

I’ll figure that out later. Michael thought not slowing down. He was about ten paces into the next room when a voice came from behind him.

“What’s the rush, Mikey? The room ain’t goin’ nowhere,” Alex said in an amused voice.

Michael turned slowly and had a sly grin on his face. “Ya think?”

“Nope. I try not to.” She said in that same mesmerizing voice and walked with a smooth gait towards him. “Ya know, you just don’t look right.” She said with an appraising look. You look cute as hell. But something just don’t fit. Her thoughts added.

“Oh? Whatever could ya mean?” He asked, amused, as they started to walk through the room.

Then the answer came to her. “Your clothes. They don’t match ya . . . Maybe it’s just me.” She said as she kept at a semi-fast pace.

Michael was so captivated by the sound of her voice and the way she moved that he didn’t even noticed they made it clear across the mansion, until they were climbing the stairs.

“They ain’t mine. And how would you know what ‘match’ I am?” He asked with good humor.

Alex just shrugged her leather clad shoulders. “Just a hunch,” She said as they reached the top of the stairs. “You do know that you already owe me one, don’t ya?”

Michael just arched an eyebrow in mute question.

“Yep. Lace made me, Gina and Jim go shopping for ya. Wait till you see what they bought you. Some great three piece suits, some slacks, blazers and some of them wing tipped shoes.” She said with faked enthusiasm.

She gave a big smile when she saw Michael’s face fall into a frown. They had stopped just stopped in front of a door and Alex reached out and opened it, walking in ignoring Michael’s frown with amusement.

I am not gonna look like Jim ‘I Iron My Underwear’ Walters downstairs. He thought grimly. He looked into the huge bedroom . . . That had TWO king-sized beds. Wonder why it has two? He was about to ask, but Alex had disappeared into, what he thought, the closet and closed the door. He looked around the room. It was VERY nice. It had two computer desks, both equipped with computers.

About two minutes later Alex came out of the closet with an arm full of clothes. “Make that two you owe me, Golden Boy. You better count your blessings I agreed to go on the shopping trip.” She said, laying the bundle of clothes into Michael’s arms. Before he could say anything, she said, “Get changed, I’ll wait outside.” She said it while she gave his cheek a friendly pat.

* * *

After Alex closed the door, leaving Michael in the room, she leaned her back against it and let out an explosive sigh. I can’t believe this is happening to me. I don’tñ Scratch that. I don’t NEED a partner. Even if he is cute. Verrrry cute. Her thoughts drifted to Michael’s eyes and voice.

Stop it! So what if he’s a hottie. Cuteness does night equal skill in battle. Cuteness does NOT dust vamps. Hell, he didn’t even hear me behind him when he left the den. If he is a Master Slayer, he should have heard me. I’m not that distracting to the mind, am I? No. Definitely not.

And Lace told me this morning that he doesn’t even know he’s a Slayer. And he’s just a kid. Fifteen. Now, Alex, you were fifteen once and that wasn’t that long ago. What? Ten years ago? I used to freak people out with brute strength and speed back then. But I was also cautious. She thought. But he’s not you. Her thoughts added.

Alex fished out a pack of Camels and a Zippo lighter, lighting a cigarette. She blew out a jet of smoke. I can give him the benefit of the doubt. We’ll see how he handles tonight. I remember my first kill . . . Her thoughts were cut short when the door behind her opened, promptly dumping her on her back. And landing at Michael’s now booted feet.

“Well, I can’t say I mind that pretty girls fall to my feet, but this is a bit much, doncha think?” Michael asked with a smirk.

Alex jumped to her feet as fast as possible, without looking goofy. “Ya know, you’re pretty damn cocky,” She said with a blush of embarrassment. “Now let me see what I’ve created.” She stated, pushing back, giving him a long appraising gaze.

Damn. She thought. Michael wearing a tight pair of Levis and the black button up shirt, that was tucked in, along with the black leather biker jacket. And his feet was adorned with a pair of leather, silver tipped boots. When she looked back into his glacial blue eyes, thoughts that were so lustful the actually made her face flush raced through her mind.

Dammit! He knows what I’m thinking and he’s smirking! Her thoughts screamed as she tried to regain her emotions. After a few seconds (that seemed like years) she accomplished it. She kept staring at his beautiful eyes . . . “Something’s missing.” She mumbled to herself, more than him.

Michael frowned a little. “Yeah. My shades.” Damn I miss them.

“Ohhhhh. It’s your lucky day, Golden Boy!” She exclaimed, reaching in her jacket pocket and pulling out a pair of shades. “I bought me an extra pair today.” She said, leaning in and sliding them over his eyes. Then she stepped back to see what she created. He’s the personification of ‘Bad Boy’. She thought with a sly smile. He’s what a Slayer SHOULD look like!

“Well, Alley, I haven’t seen me yet, so let me check out the mirror.” He said walking back into the over to the large mirror that was above the dresser.

He looked at the mirror with a bemused expression. By Alex’s expression, he had thought there was something drastically fantastic about the way he looked. I don’t look any different than I did in L.A. . . . Well, the boots are different. So what’s the big deal?

He called me Alley. Alex thought. My sister was the only one to do that. She thought sadly, wishing Sam was still alive. Then Alex shook the sad thoughts out of her head and walked over to where Michael was, looking at the reflection. Jesus, we definitely could pass as a team.

Michael was still wondering what Alex saw in him to make her have that flushed look she had. Must be a girl thing. He thought with a nod and looked at Alex. “Ok, clothes checked. What’s next on the list?” He asked with humor.

“Now . . . Now I’m bored.”

“So how do we remedy that, O’ wise one?” He asked a charming smile.

“We go to the youth club, two towns over. It’s where high-schoolers hang out and they got pool tables.” And it’s a perfect place to prove to you that you can do the things that I’m gonna tell you can do. Her thoughts added. Then she pooled open the top dresser drawer and pulled out a money clipped that was filled with twenties and fifties. A little over five hundred dollars.

“Here, this is yours. If you go back to the closet, you’ll find a Harley wallet with a chain on it that will go with that outfit.” She said with feigned nonchalance. “It’s on the top shelf.”

“I can’t except this,” He said slowly. Jesus, clothes are one thing . . . “How much is it?” She told him. “I can’t take it.” Where he came from, there was always a price for everything. That’s why he usually hated taking charity.

“Would you PLEASE just take it. Lace told me to give it to you.”

Aw hell, the ‘P’ word. Hate it. I fuckin’ hate that word! Michael snatched the money out of her hand and went to retrieve the wallet. It only took a minute and he was back. When he stood before her again, the chain of the wallet hanging low on his hip, he lowered his shades and gave her an amused look.

Michael sighed dramatically. “It’s your lead, Alley. Do with me what you will.” He added a feigned defeated posture for effect.

Alex barked out a laugh. “You got it.” Then she held out her elbow.

They linked arms and walked out the door. Her last thought before leaving the room was: Maybe it won’t be so bad after all.

* * *

Riding on a Harley was just as exciting Michael thought it would be. He loved every second of it. Lace didn’t mind. In fact, after they left the room, they noticed that no one was in the house any longer. Alex had told him it was because she told them that she wanted some ‘alone time’ with him for the day, to get to know him better.

Michael accepted this answer amiably enough. Alex didn’t strike him as a person that lied. And he prided himself on reading people. He still had a lot of questions though and he WOULD ask them when it turned evening. Little did he know that he was going to get some of them before then.

Michael was quick to watch every motion that Alex made on the huge bike. He figured that he could learn pretty quick, and he had every intention of asking her if he could drive on the way back.

When they pulled into the town of Glendale, Michael wondered what kinds of youth-club that could make Alex want to drive so far. They had ridden on the bike for a little over an hour. Finally the pulled into the place and . . . Michael wasn’t that impressed. But then again he wasn’t about to complain either.

Alex shut the engine off, then looked back at Michael. “Ya ready?”

“Yeah.” He answer simply, climbing off the bike. His gaze turned back to the club. It wasn’t big, but then again, it wasn’t exactly small. It had a large sign above the entrance door that said “Casey’s Place.” Michael noticed that there were not that many people there. It’s early, that’s probably the reason. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure.”

“Why here? This place looks kinda dead from out here.” Michael replied with a bemused look. There were hardly any cars in the place.

“Things are not always what they seem . . . There’s more people than you think,” She stated. “And I brought you here ta prove a point.” She added smoothly, albeit coyly.

Michael just gave a nod. “Right this way, Golden Boy. And the other reason I came here is I like playing pool. Do you know how to play pool?” Alex asked as they walked through the door.

“A little,” Michael understated. He was actually VERY good pool-player . . . Basically he was good at anything that involved gambling.

Damn. She wasn’t kiddin’ when she said everything wasn’t as it seemed. There was at least seventy people in the building. Most of them looked like they were in highschool and about sixty percent of them were boys. All of them walked?

Correctly reading his thoughts, Alex said, “The main parking lot is in the back.” She said, walking them over to the bar and ordering two sodas, then guided him to an empty table.

The sodas came in glasses. Nice place. The only places I went that served things in glasses were bars and them were shot glasses. He looked around and for some reason didn’t like the kids around him, save Alex. Bunch of pampered, ‘Dad, can I have gas money for the car you bought me’, highschool goin’ snobs. He thought with . . . Fuck, I’m jealous. He thought incredulously.

“ . . . Mikey. Hey Mikey,” She said and waved a hand in front of his face. When she saw he had his attention she spoke again. “Damn Mikey, space much?” She asked, trying to sound like a valley girl.

“Don’t do that . . . It REALLY doesn’t become you.” He replied with a chuckle.

Alex looked around behind her at the pool tables. I VERY sly grin appeared on her features then she turned back to Michael, sure her plan would not backfire. “Do you care to make a little wager?”

Michael gave her an expectant look. A smile of his own appearing.

“If you can beat me in the best two out of three in nine-ball, I’ll give ya you’re answers early. But if I when . . . You have to take me to dinner. Real fancy place too.” She said with a devious look.

Michael took his shades off and cleaned them lightly on his shirt.

* * *

Alex looked like she had been slapped in the face when they were walking back to the table. But she managed a good-natured scowl at Michael. I can’t believe he cleared the table TWICE on me. Then she started to mimic their earlier conversation. “Can you play pool?” Then trying to do Michael’s voice. “A little.” She said with an explosive sigh as she slumped into her chair.

“S’pose ya want your answers, huh?” She asked with a smirk that matched Michael’s own. Well, that smirk is gonna be wiped off by either an outright laugh, or a complete look of confusion. She thought, a little amused. She was slowly getting used to the idea of having a partner. “It’s your play, Golden Boy. Ask away.”

They were sitting at a table that was located in a fairly secluded area. No one could hear them, so Michael didn’t have to worry about being shy, and Alex didn’t have to worry about people hearing her answers. Alex could have thought of dozens of questions that Michael would ask first, but he proved her wrong, and surprised her a little.

“Why do you call me, ‘Golden Boy.’” I know there is something to that. His thoughts added.

Good question. I figured he would ask why Lace really adopted him . . . “You are the only boy, that is known of anyway, that is one of my kind.” She replied with feigned nonchalance. She could tell that Michael was trying hard not to smile.

“And what exactly is ‘our kind’?” He asked, trying his best to keep a straight face.

“Depends . . . Do you want the ‘Dramatic Version’ of the truth, or the technical one?” She asked, taking a sip of her drink and wishing that she could smoke in this place. Well, she knew she could, if she REALLY wanted to.

“Oh, by all means, give me both.” He replied, trying, unsuccessfully, to hold in a chuckle. He didn’t know why, but something about this whole situation that seemed amusing.

Alex vaguely listened to the commotion that the teenagers were causing by talking and playing games. She gave another sigh. This is gonna be a toughie. She thought wryly. “Ok, the dramatic first. “We are the Chosen to fight an evil that has plagued the world for thousands of years. We are the holders of truth, justice and the reckoning.” She said, watching Michael closely to see what his reaction would be. The female slayers’ always acted in different ways.

Michael knew, KNEW that he should be bowling over with laughter. But something in the girl’s voice struck a cord deep within him. If he was of a spiritual belief, he would have said that it struck a cord of his very soul. What is it about this that, that ALMOST seems familiar? He asked himself.

Michael’s impassive face was firmly in place when he spoke to her next. “Don’t leave me hangin’, what’s the technical part of it?” He asked in a neutral voice.

He didn’t laugh, I’m impressed. She thought with relief. “The technical . . . You promise to take this seriously, because you do know that I can prove it, right??”

Michael just gave her a nod of conformation, lowering his shades in a show that she had his complete attention.

“We are known as two things: Slayers and Chosens. Slayers have an amazing strength and speed that would amaze ANY Normal person. The Chosens, on the other hand, have the strength, speed, plus a couple of other abilities. That’s what we are. We get all the perks.” She said, draining the rest of her glass, her face very serious.

Either I just sat down in front of an insane woman, or I just got thrown into the strangest situation I’ve ever seen. “Abilities like healing?” He asked casually, feigning indifference.

He knows some of it! This will be easier than I thought. But it will still be hard. She thought. She gave him a brisk three nods. “Healing, telekinesis and if you’re good enough . . . You can control the emotions of people.”

Bullshit. Only in the movies! His mind screamed. But a small voice invaded his troubled mind. Do you really believe that, Mikey? Well . . . His thought trailed and he gave Alex a very direct look. “Prove it.” He said simply, in a clipped tone.

Always. They always want me to prove it. She thought with a mental roll of her eyes. Can’t really blame him though. Alex then looked across the crowded room. Then back to Michael. “See that boy carryin’ a tray of drinks?”

Michael searched the room and found him. “Yeah.”

“He’s about to fall on his face.”

Then like in a dream, Michael watched as the boy’s feet tripped over something that didn’t look to be there. He completely dropped the tray and fell on his face, just like Alex said he would. All the children in the room were laughing, save Alex and Michael. Michael was in VERY deep thought, and Alex was afraid that he she scared the hell out of him.

But she could not have been further from the truth. It always came down to power. His thoughts started. I was always afraid of conflict . . . I guess I always knew in a way. I TRIED to stay out of fights. God knows what would have happened if I didn’t . . . I still shudder to think of what I did to Drako’s boys. He thought. But Michael was taking all of this amazingly well for some reason, that went beyond his knowledge. He looked back at Alex with amusement in his features. “Evil? Slayers? Chosen?”

I know in my heart that he’s believed every fuckin’ word I’ve said and he’s AMUSED! She could tell this because Michael’s shades were lowered. She shook her head in wry amusement. “This is the part that you’re gonna laugh at . . . I know I did when I first started out.”

“I’ll try not to.”

“Our specialty is dustin’ vamps.” She dead panned. Let’s see if he how he handles THAT!

Vampires? Then he repeated it out loud. “Vampires?” I’m sitting at a table with a person that believes in vampires. He thought. Even though a small part of his brain told him to believe too.

“I know that look . . . And before you say another damn word, give me a chance to prove there existence, tonight. That’s another reason I came to this town. There’s a nest near by. And I need to PROVE to you they exist.” She replied, wincing at the look on Michael’s face.

“Ya know, DAMN! I forgot to bring a cross! Will that be a problem??” He asked sarcastically.

Alex was starting to get real tired of his attitude. “If you show a vampire a cross, all it would accomplish is it shoving it in your eye.” She snapped.

Michael’s emotions had been confusing the hell out of him, ever since he started to hang around Alex. Because at the moment, he felt like a scolded child. “Sorry,” he mumbled, fiddling with a salt shaker on the table.

Damn. Now I hurt his feelings. She thought, feeling a little bad. She wasn’t good at the sensitive chats so she decided to move his mind to something that he might find interesting and fun, or at least she thought it was.

“Hey, Golden Boy. How would you like to learn about our ability to control emotions?” She asked, watching his face light with curiosity. Gottcha. Knew that would cheer him up.

Michael was definitely interested. But before he could give his assent, another question popped into his head. " Why don’t you just kill them at the nest now, while they sleep? Vampires sleep in the day, right?”

“You watch too many movies, Mikey,” She started with a sigh. “Vamps don’t only come out at night . . . They come out in the day too.,” She looked at the confused look on his face and gave another sigh.

“Ok, look, VAMP 101: They can walk in the daylight with the rest of the mortals, but the kick, at least for them, is they don’t have the supernatural strength they have at night. And we, as in the Slayers and Chosens, can’t since the little blood suckers until that power is activated.” She replied with a scowl.

Michael took on a look of contemplation. You know what always fascinated me?”

“What?”

“Power. How much do they have and how much do we have?”

I’m impressed. Part of him believes me, anyway. “At night it all depends. Some vamps are stronger others. Some are even stronger than your average slayer. I even met a couple that were stronger than me.”

“Do they have the same mental abilities we do?” The thought of having a demon control his emotions . . . Well, somehow that just don’t appeal to me. He thought with an inward shudder.

“Telekinesis? The ability to control emotion? The ability to read thoughts? Some of them do, but those guys are rare and between. But some of them can use their mental strength in broad daylight.” She watched as Michael paled a little.

“You didn’t say anything about being able to read thoughts.” Michael said with a little irritation.

“Oops. Guess I did neglect to tell you that fact.” She replied with feigned innocence.

“Forgot? One of those fucks could be in this room right now and you NEGLECTED to mention it?!?” Michael said with a low voice, but it held a deadly. Then another thought came. “Can you read my thoughts?” He asked through slitted eyes.

“Relax, Golden Boy, they can’t read our thoughts and we can’t read one another’s either . . . Unless we give permission, then we can cumunicate telepathically. <’See what I mean?’>

Michael sat up bolt right when he heard Alex’s voice in his head. Then an idea came to mind. <’Say my proper name.’> He thought at her.

“Michael,” Alex complied, looking smug.

Michael was very much impressed. “But you can’t read my thoughts?”

“Not unless you give permission. You’re like a closed book without it.”

Michael had a reality check at that moment. I’m taking all of this way to easily. He thought. He gave a frown because he didn’t like being played for a sucker. Although, he was starting to believe everything the beautiful girl in front of him was sayin.

At that moment, he decided that he was ready to do a test. “Can I read normal peoples minds?” He asked, casually taking a sip of his Coke.

“Yep. As well as control there emotions . . . Ya ready to test yourself?” She asked with an evil glint that was hidden behind her mirror-plated shades. I always did like training Slayers. But this is a Chosen and not just ANY Chosen. He’s the Master Hunter. She thought, her enthusiasm draining a little. I hate withholding that information, but he ain’t ready . . .

“Sure,” He answered simply, with nonchalance. He had no doubt in his mind that Alex could do these things . . . But he doubted that he could. “Just run me through the drill, Alley.” He said, lowering his shades to give her a wink, then sliding them back up.

Ok, THAT gave me shivers. What is it about him?? “Alright, pick any person out of the room.” She replied. Watching as Michael scanned the room.

Michael looked over the room carefully. Finally his eyes fell upon a girl that was playing pool. She had light red hair and was wearing tight blue jean shorts along with a tank-top. “I choose her.”

Alex looked at him with a half leer. You would. She thought with an inward chuckle. Then a thought came to her. He could really use some loosening up . . . “Hey, ya wanna have some fun?” Her voice had taken on a seductive note.

So seductive, in fact, that Michael felt his manhood twitch. “W-What do you have in mind?” He asked, damning the crack in his voice when he spoke. To his knowledge that was the first time that ever happened.

Alex started to circle the brim of her finger along the brim of her glass. This is gonna be fun. She thought wickedly, and I get to watch! That is if he isn’t a prude. “Well, the easiest emotion to elicit is . . . Lust. You have to touch her to bring it forth, though.”

Lust. Lust? Lust?!?! Michael’s mind shouted. “Ain’t that abusing the power a little?” He asked incredulously.

“Nah . . . It’s one of the perks of being a Chosen.” She replied with a too sweet smile.

“But—” His protest got cut short. “I fuckin’ dare ya!” She said in a challenging tone. She knew that if he was anything like her, that daring him would work.

And she was right, it struck a cord deep within Michael. His friends in L.A. had learned long ago not to dare him to do things, because he would do them in spades. “You’re on,” he said with determination. Then added, “But first, show me how to read thoughts.”

Alex cocked her head as if to say that was good enough for her. “That’s pretty easy, really. Just block everything, all the sounds, people and commotion and focus solely on her. Then close your eyes and you will be able to feel her essence and hear her thoughts.”

Michael just gave her a skeptical look.

“Just try it.” Alex said with a little exasperation.

Michael, knowing nothing would happen, focused all his attention on the redheaded beauty at the pool table. That’s when it happened. All of the rest of the world seemed to drop away and there were only she and himself. He slowly closed his eyes and a myriad of images and emotions flooded his mind.

Her name was Melissa Goodheart. Mel, to her friends. The blonde boy, that was a senior, standing beside her was her boyfriend. But the seventeen year old girl despised him. She wanted to break up with him, but was afraid of his temper. And rightfully so, the boy had hit her more than once.

But Melissa had a plan. She was going to break up with him NOW, in front of the crowd and hoped that her soon to be ex-boyfriend had enough since not to hit her in public. And she was going to break up with him . . . “Now,” Michael said aloud, in a whisper.

Alex knew what was going on, because she was reading the girl’s thoughts as well. She watched as Melissa took a few steps back and said something. Alex was completely focused on the beautiful girl. After the words left the girl’s mouth, the boys fist drew back . . . And that was when all hell broke loose, in Alex’s eyes.

Alex stood up slowly. She knew that the girl’s boyfriend had been standing by the pool table, but he wasn’t there anymore. When her eyes landed on where he was NOW, she said one word: Fuck.

Michael never remembered moving. But here he was, every muscle in his body tense with rage. Pinning the girl’s boy friend to the wall with one hand, that was attached to the boys throat. Michael didn’t even notice that the boy’s feet were dangling about a foot off the ground. To the average observer it would look like Michael was holding the boy there with great ease. Which was true.

The look on Michael’s face was one of complete passivity, even though he was trembling with rage. He wasn’t exactly thinking straight. He noted how the boy’s face was turning a dark red, do from lack of breath. And he noted how the senior’s legs kicked at him, trying for escape.

Alex wished she had the ability to control the emotions of large groups of people at that moment, as it was, she could only control one at a time. So there really wasn’t a point in trying to control the room.Then she turned and locked her eyes with the panicked and frightened eyes of the bully Michael had pinned. I should let him break your damn neck. She thought, but knew better.

She walked up to Michael slowly, knowing that his eyes were filled with battle lust, even though they were covered with his shades. “Ya know,” She started, getting up close to him so she could whisper in her ear. “This is not what I meant by ‘Do ya wanna have some fun?’ Think ya could let him down? He’s sorta turning purple.” She added with a casual indifference that she did not feel.

“Think he’s worth it?” He asked in a voice that reminded Alex of silky death.

She knew at that moment that he was real close to killing the boy. “Yeah, for two reasons. One: Too many witnesses. Two: This not what Chosens are for.” She said in a soothing voice that was still near his ear. She was starting to lose her cool patience by this point. “Just let him the fuck down so we can get the hell out of here!” She barked in a hushed tone.

A slow smile formed on his impassive face. “Your wish is my command.” He stated, letting the boy drop, unconscious but still breathing. Michael then motioned to the door. “After you, Boss Lady.” He said, jokingly, trying to push the feeling of fear out of his mind. The fear of what he was capable of.

And with that, Alex and Michael left the shocked crowd behind.