The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Haller Catch

By Forever-Shadow-Knight

Chapter Six:

When we got home, I grabbed a pop tart and went up to my room for a couple of hours. The lamp was still there, sitting on my dresser. After thinking about it for a minute, I picked the lamp up and put it in my lockable desk drawer. I didn’t have the key to lock it, but it there was a trick to getting it open that no one else knew. I figured it would be safer there.

The truth was that I didn’t really know what else to wish for. My powers were as complete as I could imagine them. But then, I didn’t know what I had gotten myself into.

Karen didn’t give me any trouble that afternoon. It surprised me a little. I figured she was planning something really nasty, so I didn’t give it too much thought. Kenny was just getting home as I was leaving for the Catch. I waved to him in passing, but he ignored me, as usual.

The fifteen minute walk to the Catch had me brooding. When I finally got there, I saw the building was locked and closed. I walked around back and tried the rear door. It opened for me and I stepped inside.

Haller was there, working on something at his table. Almost as soon as I walked through the door he was standing up and coming over to me. “So what did you wish for?” He asked.

I damn near pissed my pants. “Uh… that is… I mean... what?” I managed to stagger out.

“I mean the genie lamp. What did you wish for?” He clarified.

“Okay.” I said, and told him everything. It took a while to tell it all, so we sat down in some plush chairs while I was grilled for details concerning the genie and the wishes. Mr. Haller had some surprising insight.

“You know.” He said; which I didn’t. “A regular genie couldn’t have granted a wish like that. So the genie in that lamp must be a major power.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“There are many different kinds of powers in the world. And this genie has to be way up in the hierarchy in order to have done what you described. He might even be powerful enough to effect changes on a global scale.” Mr. Haller was lost in thought for a moment. “You said he was limited by not being able to go against the will of God? I wonder what the will of God actually is. There are as many interpretations on that as there are people.”

“I never thought to ask.” I said truthfully.

“And as for the wish itself, that was really clever of you. I’m quite surprised. For a while I was actually worried that I would have to go and bail you out of whatever trouble you might have landed yourself in. But I see you’ve done quite well.”

I sighed and confessed my fears about my karma, telling him of the warnings from both the man who sold me the lamp and the genie. “I just don’t know how I can keep track of it. It really worries me.”

“Karma is one of those things that are hard to define. Do you feel guilty over what you did to those girls in your school?” Mr. Haller asked.

“Well, maybe a little. But I tried to set things right with them. Elizabeth should be fine now. I made sure she wouldn’t remember our encounter. And Amber really wasn’t my fault. I’m still not sure what happened there. I told Terra the truth, and gave her room to make her own choice. Maybe she’ll come back to me, and maybe not. Sandy is the only one I feel particularly guilty about, but she’s also the only one I didn’t get sexual with. She should be the one I’m least concerned with.”

“I think the problem with Sandy isn’t what you have or haven’t done with her. I think the problem is what you plan on doing. You’re set in your intentions. You said it yourself. You don’t think you could let her go, even if she wanted to leave.” It was true, so I didn’t say anything to refute it. Sometimes, I hate myself. “Do you want a drink?” Mr. Haller asked.

“I could use some soda.” I agreed. We got up and walked into the supply closet. There was a small refrigerator in there, where we kept our lunches. Mr. Haller pulled out a couple of sodas and handed one to me. It was some generic brand that I had never heard of, so I tentatively opened the top and sipped. Not bad. I took a swallow and the carbonation hit me, making my eyes water. It tasted like coke.

We went back to our seats. “This issue of your karma, I think I have a solution. Work it into your next wish. In fact, your entire wish should be about your karma. Wish for powers that will let you help people, and have one of these powers be a karmic sense. That way, you can not only judge your own karma, but the karma of others as well. If you plan on playing the superhero, being able to sense karma will help you find and stop the bad guys. Think about powers that will help you help others. The ability to heal injuries or cure diseases would be a good one to have. Think about it for a while.”

“I guess you’re right. Maybe my first wish wasn’t as all inclusive as I thought it was. But how is it that you know so much about this sort of thing?” I asked.

“I’ve been an archaeologist for a long time, Jason. I’ve seen my share of ancient artifacts and magical devices. Once upon a time I was in a situation much like yours. Although my wishes were less ambitious, I do understand what you’re going through.”

“So what’s happening with the Catch?”

“I decided that our conversation was more important than the shop, so I closed early. Don’t worry about it.” He said when I started to protest. “It was my decision. And anyhow, this was something you needed to have. Why don’t you run along home and ask your genie what he thinks about all of this. I think you might be as surprised by his answer as you were by mine.”

I nodded and thanked him again, then left. After I was gone he muttered to himself. “I hope he does better than I did.”

* * *

I wasn’t quite ready to walk back home, so I took a route that went through the park. It was actually more of a natural preserve, funded by the county taxpayers. While I couldn’t remember what the place was called, the park was named for the river that ran through it, and was situated in a valley carved out by the same river. There were well paved roads running through the park, as well as a set of bike paths and hiking trails. Everything the average citizen could want.

I took one of the longer paths, and set myself a good pace. It felt good to run. The feel of the air rushing past my ears was like a balm soothing my pains. Ever since I made my wish, I’ve done nothing but abuse my power. The small things I did to help others were more for my own amusement than for those I was helping. I wanted to be a better person, to have people like me for who I was, rather than because I compelled them to do so.

Despite this conviction, I knew I would continue to abuse my powers. However much I wanted to be a good person, I knew that my demons would always haunt me. I would never be rid of them. The path took a steep incline, and rose up along a ledge. There was a metal guard set up to keep hikers from falling down the cliff face, but the view was otherwise unobstructed. It was a spectacular sight. The entire valley was open before me, and on the opposite side, the towers of the city rose up against a backdrop of mountains. I could see for miles.

I felt something move nearby. I say felt, because whatever this thing was, it moved without sound. It was very close. And it was watching me. The hairs on my neck stood on end, and I tried to gain some feeling for it through my mindreading. But I could sense nothing.

My reverie was interrupted by a scream from further along the path. I turned towards the sound and strode forward purposefully. As I approached, I heard some muffled cries, and a male voice shouting profanities. I crept up to a thick tree and peaked around carefully. And I got really pissed at what I saw.

Some guy had pinned a girl to the ground and was putting a gag in her mouth. He held a knife against her throat while he did this. When the girl was reduced to frantic moans and voiceless sobs, the man started tearing at her clothes with the knife.

Again I wanted to do something; I wanted to step in and save the girl. But I just stood there, and nothing could motivate me to move. I watched as he finished cutting off her shirt and started feeling her up. I saw her crying through eyes held tightly shut. Damn it! Why am I stuck here?

That was when I realized the answer. It hit me like an epiphany. I couldn’t stop this because I was watching myself. That man was me, without my powers. All my life I’ve kept my demons chained up; locked away in the dark recesses of my soul, where they can’t hurt anyone. But since I made my wish, I really haven’t been accountable to anyone. Even to myself. That was why my demons were able to break free from their prison.

I looked at the man again, and saw he had worked her pants off. His demons had no chains at all, no leash to keep them in check. I felt disgusted with myself, but for the first time since my experience with Elizabeth, I also felt concern for what I had been doing; concern beyond a vague sense of karmic right and wrong.

I genuinely cared about the people who had come into my life. Terra had always been special to me, and despite the changes that had been wrought by my wish, I wanted her to stay special. But I knew that Amber was also a part of me now. And I welcomed her. I knew there would eventually be others, but I also knew that they would be a part of me, too.

Suddenly I was able to move again. No longer held by my paralysis I strode forward, my face a mask of outrage and fury. The guy had been struggling to get his pants off and to hold her down at the same time, so he didn’t notice me until I was nearly upon him. When he finally looked up and saw me, he snarled and waved his knife at me. With his free hand, he grabbed a handful of hair and jerked her head away from the ground, only to smash it back down. She was unconscious instantly. He stood up and stalked towards me.

I should have moved faster, but I was overconfident in my abilities. When he came at me, I was still paying more attention to the girl than to him. He managed to plant his knife in my side, and pain washed over me. Then he started twisting it in the wound. I tried to throw a wave of force at him, to knock him back, but nothing came. He pushed me back, until I was pressed against a tree. Giving up on my powers, I brought my fist up and gave him a solid hit on the jaw, then pulled back and punched him again, just above the temple. My two punches staggered him and he finally let go of the knife. I stumbled back and dropped onto my ass, panting from the pain. In a smooth motion I drew the knife out of my side, and let it fall to the ground.

The man came at me again, and it looked like he intended to strangle me this time, but I was having none of that. I kicked him in the knee, and heard a terrific snap as his leg gave out from under him. Rolling onto my good side, I got slowly to my feet and looked at him. He was trying to crawl away, but I wasn’t in the mood to let him. I walked over to him and kicked him in the side of the head. He flailed at me, so I kicked him again and again until he stopped moving.

I walked over to the woman, and dropped to her side. I almost fell on her. I took her hand in mine and teleported us both to a hospital. I never noticed that the strange presence was still watching me, never realized that it had kept me from using my powers.