The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Haller Catch

By Forever-Shadow-Knight

Chapter Seven:

I made a pocket of time around my wound to keep it stable. Every half minute or so the pocket would loop backwards and I would feel the agony of it all over again. Despite my wound I carried the woman into the hospital. When they saw me, some attendants ran over to relieve me of the burden. I was asked a lot of questions by four or five people at once. I was nauseous from the pain, and really wasn’t thinking too clearly. Mostly they were trying to accuse me of assaulting the girl, so I didn’t really want to deal with them.

I told them to leave me alone and to help the girl. And I enforced my statement with a nudge from my power. That was enough to get them to finally go away. I slunk off into a corner of the lobby and leaned against the wall. After I made sure no one was looking, I teleported to my room. Something about teleporting screwed up the pocket of time I had on my wound. It immediately started bleeding again, and this time I couldn’t stop it. I jerked open my desk drawer and pulled out the lamp.

The genie was at my side as soon as my fingers touched it, and he was helping me onto my bed. There were tears in his eyes as he tied a cloth around my waist, and I really couldn’t figure out why. Maybe he was sad for me. My thinking was seriously muddled at that point. He tore a clean shirt that he pulled out of my dresser and pressed it against my wound. I finally got the time bubble to hold again and sighed in relief.

“Thanks.” I said, sitting up slowly. I was still light headed. “You came back really fast. I didn’t even call for you.” It was a statement, but the Al’Karab answered anyhow.

“As soon as you touched the lamp, I knew of your condition. I came back because you needed help.” He paused, and then added. “And because I would prefer to stay your servant. Not many masters have allowed me as much freedom as you have. It has been an enjoyable experience, and I would have it continue for a while longer.”

“Well, whatever your reasons, thanks for coming so quickly. I owe you for it.” He nodded.

“Then I would advise you to take better care of yourself. How is it that you came to such grievous wounds?” He asked. So I told him about finding the man on the hiking path, and about the fight that followed. I questioned him about the presence I felt, and the failure of my powers. “It is possible that the presence and the failure are connected.” He told me. “I did warn you that you would have enemies if you wished for as much power as you have. It might have been one of the guardians. They are creatures responsible for keeping the balance in the universe. Mortals like you would know them as angels, though they have no true affiliation with the creator.”

I sat silent for a while, while I tried to think this out. The events of the day had been weighing heavily on me. So much had happened so fast, that I didn’t know what to do about any of it, I was afraid that I would only make things worse. “Is there any way that I can negotiate with these angels? Any way I can get them to leave me alone?” I asked.

“No way that I know.” The genie told me. “You could try appealing to a Higher Power, and maybe one will intervene on your behalf. It would cost you, though.”

“What do you mean?”

“Any power that helped you would only do so because they have something to gain: you. They would bargain your continued existence against your freedom. The angels will not stop until you are gone from this universe, unless a power stops them.”

“So I sell myself into servitude to some kind of Power, and they keep the angels off my back? It doesn’t seem like my sort of thing. What if I wish to be a power? If I’m no longer mortal, will the angels still pursue me?”

“Truthfully I do not know. The reason the angels are after you is because you have abilities that would normally belong only to greater powers. If you were no longer mortal, than their reason for targeting you would be gone. But this has never happened before, so I’m only guessing here.”

“It would be a hell of a thing to waste a wish on, if it doesn’t work. What, exactly, would change if I wished to become a power?”

“You would be placed in the hierarchy of powers, and that alone entitles a lot. The powers of the universe are in a constant struggle against one another, with godhood as the ultimate goal.”

“Wait! Did you just say they are trying to become gods?”

“Not gods, they want to become god. There can be only one.”

“I can’t believe you just said that.” I said, shaking my head. The genie gave me an odd look and I started laughing. “You just quoted from highlander.” I informed him.

He shrugged. “I will have to look up the reference the next time I get out. A lot of things have happened since I was last let out of my lamp, and I haven’t had the chance to catch up on everything yet.”

“But what about god? I mean the current god.”

“He vanished long ago. There has been some speculation about it, and most agree that he has either chosen to hide from us or he has left our universe. Others suggest that he has evolved into something beyond god. Regardless of the reasons, there is a vacant throne, and everyone with a spark of power is trying to seat themselves on it.”

“You said that I couldn’t wish to be god, and that my wishes couldn’t go against his will.” I reminded him.

“And that is indeed what I told you. The edicts that were laid down by the old god still hold firm, and I am powerless to go against them. But that doesn’t mean that you cannot do so, only that I cannot do so in the granting of your wish. You have strength of your own now, in the abilities you have wished for. If you wished to become a power, you would have as much right as any other being to seek godhood for yourself.”

I sat on the edge of the bed and let myself fall onto my back, sinking into comforters. “When you get ambitious, you don’t go halfway.” I told the genie. It was his turn to laugh. “Why have I never seen any of these powers before? Why doesn’t humanity know about their existence?”

“For one thing, the powers have a realm of their own, a whole world set aside for them by god, not for their own benefit, but to protect humanity from their influence. There are also rules governing how the powers can come into the human world, and what they can do here. The guardians, or angels if you prefer, are there to enforce those rules.”

“So I they limited my powers because they thought I was breaking the rules?” I asked.

“That is a strong possibility.” He replied.

“What about this other world that the powers inhabit? Where is it? I thought that nothing could breach the boundaries of the universe.”

“Avalon is everywhere and nowhere. The realm exists in the same time and place as Earth, and it is within this universe. But the universe has many layers. Avalon is on a different layer than the Earth you know.”

“Just how many powers are there?”

“I don’t think there has ever been an accounting before, but I would guess that there are as many powers, or nearly as many, as there are humans. But not all of them would be competing for godhood, and very few of them would be considered higher powers. Maybe as few as a thousand or so have the kind of preeminence behind them necessary to be minor deities. If you were a power, I would classify you in this group.” He smiled proudly.

“At least I did something right.”

“You’ve made a very interesting wish.” He told me. “The nature of the powers you wished for is ambiguous. Following the form of the wish, your powers should be able to do anything you intended for them to be able to do when you made the wish. The only problem will come if something happens that you did not anticipate when you made the wish.”

“You’re giving me entirely too much credit. I didn’t anticipate any of this. It all just sort of happened when I wasn’t looking. Like I blinked and the world changed between the fall and rise of my eyelids.” I sighed, closing my eyes. There was a long moment of silence. “Al’Karab?”

“Yes?”

“I’m ready for my second wish.” I told him. My legs felt wobbly, and the throbbing pain in my side was making me nauseous.

I wish that I am, now and forever, no less than a power of the realm, with the following additions to my abilities; granted in the spirit of the wish; and as I intended for them to be:

One: to be able to heal any injury upon or illness within myself or another, at will.

Two: to be able to sense the flow of karma, around myself and others, at will.

Three: to be able to generate matter, at will, and to shape it perfectly to my desires.

My second wish was worded like my first, but I really would have liked to add more. Unfortunately I passed out just after I finished speaking the third power.

When I woke, ten minutes later, my wounds had healed, and the genie was sitting in my desk chair, smiling at me. “You just barely made it, kid. I took some liberties when interpreting your wish, so you would be able to heal yourself even when you were unconscious.”

“Then I owe you.” I told him. “Did the wish work? I don’t really feel anything different. Am I really a power now?”

“You are no longer mortal, but being a power is more than a wish can grant. I will argue for you, but it will take time before you are recognized as a power. It is most similar to political sovereignty between nations: the other powers must first accept you as one of their own. And given the level of the power that you wield, it shouldn’t take long.”

I nodded, though I didn’t really understand everything, I knew enough to trust him. And I knew that I had a debt to pay.

“Thanks again for saving me.” I told him, sitting up and looking into his eyes. “If you want it, I’ll make my third wish anything you want it to be.”

My gaze was unsteady, and my heart was beating in my chest as I said it. That wish was my last lifeline. I had used the other two already, and I knew that I was probably a fool to give it up. But he had saved my life, and I didn’t know how to repay him for that. I didn’t know if it even could be repaid. This wish was the only thing that I had to offer him that could possibly equal what he had given me.

He stared at me for a long time, and I never flinched, never wavered from his gaze. Finally he nodded, and still without speaking he stood up and walked over to me, embracing me in a tight hug. “Thank you.” He whispered. When he pulled away, I thought there were tears in his eyes, but maybe I was imagining things.

I tried to act calm. “What did you want for your wish?”

“I want to be free, of course.” He was so serious that I decided to forgo any cracks about his choice of words. I decided to grant his wish immediately.

“Then I wish that you are free.” I told him. As soon as I spoke the words he vanished, and I was left hugging nothing but air. I looked over at the lamp. The smooth brass fixture sat on my desk basking in the dim light. “What the hell just happened?” I asked nobody.