The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Hero of the Day

by J. Darksong

* * *

((epilogue:))

A dark haired woman dressed in tight black leather sat at the bar, staring straight ahead blankly. An old newspaper lay beside her, the paper folded and earmarked on an recent article concerning an incident in River City, Oregon, a few days ago. Every so often, she remembered the shot glass of whiskey on the counter in front of her, take a sip, then go back to staring at the wall. The bartender, a large bearded man with a bit of a spare tire, having been paid upfront, would replace the empty glass with a full one whenever she drained one dry; otherwise, he left her alone, focusing his attention on the other patrons.

The loud rock music was temporarily overshadowed by a loud shout as four large bikers entered, yelling and whooping it up, making a general nuisance of themselves. Walking over to the bar, the leader pounded on the counter. “Hey, barkeep! Get over here. You got thirsty customers here!”

“Hey, Red, I think I’ll go reserve us a pool table,” one of the others said, heading across the room. Red, the leader, merely nodded, turning back to the counter, banging on it again.

“Alright, alright, I’m here,” the bartender announced. “What’ll you boys have?”

“Genuine Draft, buddy,” Red replied, reaching out to grab the bartender by his collar. “And keep ‘em comin’. If I get to the end of my mug and a new one ain’t there waiting for me, we’re gonna have us a problem.”

Across the room, angry shouting erupted as a couple playing pool was violently ejected, via the window. The other patrons glanced up at the noise, then turned back to their own activities once more. “Rack ‘em up, Bones,” one of the biker said, chuckling, tossing the pool cue over to his friend.

“Dammit, Red,” the bartender yelled, facing the leader. “That’s the third time this week! Tell Bones and Skull they’re gonna have to pay for the glass replacement this time!”

“Just put it on our tab, Bobby,” Red replied with a sneer. “Now, where’s the beer I ordered?”

Sighing deeply, the bartender filled four mugs of beer. Glancing back down the counter, he retrieved the woman’s shot glass, refilling it as well. Red, following the glass with his eyes, whistled appreciatively, grabbing his beer and moving down beside the woman.

“Hey, gorgeous,” he crooned, brushing his head back, “where’ve you been all my life?”

“Somewhere else, naturally,” the woman replied curtly, taking a pull from her glass.

Red blinked, then chuckled softly. “Well, aren’t you a hot little firecracker! You’ve got spirit, baby... and I like spirit. My name is—”

“Don’t care, pal,” the woman cut in, turning back to stare straight ahead. “Just move on.”

“Hey, now, that’s not very friendly,” Red continued, leaning across the bar. “I’m just trying to get to know you better, that’s all. Just give me a chance, baby... you might just LIKE it.”

A third biker came up to the bar. “Hey, Red, c’mon. The table’s all set up and ready. Let’s shoot some pool!”

Red turned, grabbing his companion by the collar. “What the hell’s the matter with you, Crush? Can’t you see I’m trying to talk to a babe here?” He shoved, causing Crush to stumble back. “You guys can wait. I’ll be along when I’m done here!” Turning back to the woman, he smiled. “Sorry about that. So... where were we?”

The woman took her glass and turned it up, draining it dry, slamming it down lightly on the counter. “WE were nowhere. YOU were striking out, and about to head off with your friends while I was continued to ignore you and drink in peace.”

Crush burst into laughter, joined seconds later by everyone else in earshot. Red, embarrassed, glared daggers at everyone, silencing them. “Listen, you bitch,” he hissed, grabbing the woman by the arm, “I don’t know who the HELL you think you are, but nobody talks to me that way—”

“You’re right,” the woman replied loudly, grabbing the biker’s hand, and twisting, painfully, snapping his wrist with an audible CRACK loud enough to be heard over the music. Red yelped loudly, grabbing his broken arm, struggling to pull it free from the leather clad woman, who now rose to her feet, still holding firmly to his shattered wrist. “You’re absolutely right,” she reiterated, twisting it again, causing him to cry out once more. “You have no idea who the HELL I am.” Finally, she let go, and Red pulled away, cradling his arm, staring down at the woman in shock.

“Hey, Red, you alright?” Crush asked, frowning.

“Aaaahhhh! Fuck no I’m not alright!” he yelled. “Damn bitch broke my fucking arm!”

The music stopped. The other two bikers, Skull and Bones, approached the bar, holding their pool cues like makeshift bats. “Hey, lady,” Crush called, pulling out a switchblade, “you must not know who you’re dealing with here! We’re the Devil’s Warriors, the baddest biker gang in the whole damned state, if not the whole damned country! And if you mess with one of us, you mess with ALL of us!”

The woman smiled wickedly, cocking her head to the side. “I see. So you all share a bond of loyalty, then? All for one, one for all?” Reaching out, she grabbed Crush by his neck, lifting him a foot off the ground. “So... if I snap you like a twig, does that mean I have to snap all of your friends as well?”

Skull and Bones reacted, charging at her, swinging their pool cues like clubs. The dark haired woman struck out with her free arm, shattering the wood into splinters. Crush, slowly choking to death, pulled out his switchblade. “Let... me... go... you fucking... bitch!” Grunting, trying to free himself with one hand, he brought the knife forward, stabbing his assailant in the gut.

Eyes narrowed, the woman released him, taking a step back. “Now that,” she said in a low deep voice, “was a big mistake.”

Stumbling back, breathing deeply, Crush brandished the knife again. “Yeah! So, what now, bitch? You want some more of—WHATTHEFUCK?!?” The knife blade, far from being blood-soaked, stood bent at an odd angle, as if it had been struck by a hammer or some other heavy object. He glanced from the knife back to the woman, then slowly backed away. “What... the hell ARE you?”

Twin beams of light flashed from her eyes, striking the knife, which grew red hot. Crush dropped it with a shout, jerking back, bumping into Bones and Skull, as well as most of the other patrons, who were now trying to exit through the exit as fast as possible. The woman, watching with amusement, merely laughed, floating slightly off the ground as a soft yellow-white glow began to envelop her.

“You’re leaving so soon? And after all your big talk about loyalty, honor, and commitment, too.” She sighed, shaking her head. “Not that I blame you for that. Only a fool fights a battle they can’t win.” Crossing her arms, she turned towards Red, who stood cowering in the corner behind the bar. “What I DO blame you for is being too stupid to take a hint. You think you can just bully your way through life, take whatever you want, just because you’re bigger and stronger than everyone else around you.”

Moving in a blur, she snatched Red from the corner, streaking through the broken window and up into the night sky. Staring deep into his fear filled eyes, she smirked. “The only problem with that, is that there is always someone bigger and stronger just around the corner, waiting to return the favor.”

“Wait, wait, hold on, please,” Red yelled, gripping onto her arm with all his strength. “You’re... you’re Omeg—”

“The name is Dark Star,” Lacie replied coolly, loosening her grip on his arm, causing the biker to scream and grab on all the tighter. “I’d suggest you remember that. It wouldn’t do to piss me off even more that you already have at this height.”

“Oh God, oh God, please, lady, please, don’t drop me, don’t drop me,” Red babbled helplessly. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! Please!! I didn’t know!”

Lacie laughed heartlessly. “Drop you? Hmmmm. Now there’s an interesting idea. Instead of simply turning over all the hooligans, criminals, and degenerates to the police, and having them escape or be released to make trouble again... maybe I should just drop them all from ten thousand feet and be done with it. I’m pretty sure after the first two or three, the message would get across, and the crime level across the country would well... plummet.”

She released his arm, letting him fall. The man screamed, flailing wildly, dropping like a stone... until she swooped down, catching him just before he hit the ground. Red fainted, and Lacie deposited his unconscious body on the ground just outside the bar before soaring off again.

The sad thing is... I was only half joking about dropping him. I mean what’s the point? Fighting against all odds... struggling in battle after battle, fight after fight, trying to make the streets safer for everyone... and for what? To have the same scum pop up again and again, ready to start the whole thing over again? She sighed softly. Even the good ones, like poor Parker... sacrificing their very lives to safe the world... and the best they get is a few solemn words, a tearful goodbye from friends and family, and a small mention on page six of the newspaper, between the news about the circus returning to town, and the primetime TV lineup.

Her face softened for a moment, eyes glistening with unshed tears, before turning hard again. “Well, fine. It’s about time I stepped off the sidelines again. I’m through with playing the hero role... but that doesn’t mean I’m going to lie back and play the victim either.” A smile creased her lips, as she flew up into the clouds.

“I think it’s time for a new style of justice to make its presence felt.”

* * *

The black cloaked man known as Jeremiah King glanced once more at the chessboard before him, sensing that something was happening. The pieces stood, all in a perfect line, each within its place. All except one. One piece was missing, its square currently vacant. On a whim, he turned, walking back to the small corner where another board had been set up. This particular game had already been played to its end, the result surprising, but not altogether unforeseen. The boy had shown a lot of determination and heart, and despite the personal cost to himself, he’d persevered, and gotten his checkmate.

A small part of him felt a moment of sadness for Venus, which was in and of itself surprising. He’d thought himself advanced far beyond mere human sentiment by now... and yet it still popped up now and again, in the most unexpected places. True, she’d been one of the few friends he’d made throughout his life, a person with similar goals, and a similar outlook on life. At one time, she’d even done him a service, helping him when he had sorely needed it. Still, friend of no, in the grand scheme of things, she was merely another chess piece, perhaps not a pawn, but certainly NOT a player.

And while one might feel momentary regret for a piece sacrificed to gain victory, in the end, victory was all that mattered.

It was simply the way the game was player, after all.

A pity about the boy, however. Someone with so much promise would have been infinitely more useful as a pawn in his own personal game—

At that particular moment, he felt it, and turned back to the large chessboard in the center of the room. Closing his eyes, he opened his mind to the cosmos, letting the infinite knowledge and power flow through him once more. Dots... lines... myriad strings of fate, crossing and criss-crossing, weaving together into a complex tapestry known as reality. Faces, names, people by the billons, swam through his vision, infinite degrees of separation, yet all joined, all connected, all part of the one unified pattern...

There. The connection he’d been seeking.

A line grew, stretching from the boy, the fallen White Knight, directly to his missing piece, which appeared now before his mind’s eye. “The missing Black Queen,” he said quietly, opening his eyes to confirm it. And certainly enough, materializing seemingly from thin air, the Black Queen appeared in the vacant spot next to its Black King.

“Interesting,” the cloaked man commented, circling slowly around the board, studying every angle. “After trying every method, fair and foul, to draw you out, it took the noble sacrifice of one of your comrades to pierce the veil around your heart. Perhaps you’re not quite as deep within the darkness as I’d thought. No matter... you are finally a part of the game, and you will serve my purpose, whether you wish it or not.”

A simple gesture, and the phone floated to his hand. Dialing, he waited only a moment before he received an answer. “Yes, sir?”

“Mr. Chrome. The final piece is now in place. It is time to start the game. Inform all of your associates that the time has finally arrived. We shall move forward immediately.” He paused, purely for effect, then asked, “I assume that everyone knows their assigned roles?”

“Absolutely, Sir. Suffice it to say, some of us have been chomping at the proverbial bit. We’re just waiting for you to give the word.”

“Then consider it given, Mr. Chrome,” he replied, hanging up the phone. Turning back to the board, he considered, momentarily, the sheer scope of what he was about to do. Everything he’d worked for, fought for, sacrificed for... and it all came down to this very moment. The choices that seemed so infinite at first had finally been narrowed down to twenty. Twenty possible opening moves. Twenty possible routes to victory.

To Godhood.

“Very well then,” he said softly, gesturing to a pawn, sending it forth. “Let the games begin.”

* * *

A young woman sat in the corner of her room, hands clutched tightly together, her head down, almost as if in prayer. The door opened, the sound of metal on metal startling her out of her thoughts. She turned, whirling around to face the corner, her hands clenching into fists. Footsteps sounded behind her, the click-click-click of high heels on polished stone, as the intruder came to stand directly behind her.

“Venus,” a feminine voice said gently, “it’s Dr. Eva Snow. Do you remember me?”

The red haired woman froze, momentarily, then shook her head. “No. Go away. Leave me alone!”

“I’m sorry, dear, but you know I can’t do that. I need to talk to you a moment.” She sighed softly. “Will you please turn around and look at me?”

“NO! Go away!” she repeated, her fists clenched so tightly her arms shook.

“Now, now, Venus, it’s okay,” Eva said gently, laying a hand gingerly on her shoulder. “You’re in a safe place here. No one is going to hurt you. No one is going to judge you. I just need to talk to you, and I want you to face me while we talk. Okay?”

The woman sighed softly, shaking her head. “I don’t want to talk. I just want you to leave me alone!”

“Turn around and talk to me, for just a few minutes,” Eva said, pushing feelings of trust and acceptance into her charge, “and I promise to leave you alone. Okay?”

For a long moment, the red haired woman sat there, unmoving, still as a statue. Then... slowly at first, then, in resignation, she turned to face the doctor. Eva winced inwardly at the sight, but kept her face neutral, a slight smile on her lips, nodding. “Good. Very good. Thank you for facing me, while we talk, Venus.”

Venus Satore sat in her chair, staring down at her hands, the good one covering her recently healed one. Her lip trembled, and her chest rose and fell rapidly, her breathing shaky and uneven. Her long lustrous red hair was coiffed, brushed over one side, to hide the disfigured right side of her face, though any motion of her head momentarily revealed the long jagged scar stretching from temple to cheek. Eva found it a bit ironic that a woman so full of confidence and strength, poised to conquer the entire world, had been so shattered by the loss of her flawless beauty.

“Venus, dear,” Eva began, “I want to talk to you about the past, okay. I need to know how much you remember about what happened to you.”

Closing her eyes, she shook her head. “Nothing. Everything’s just a blur. I was with my mother... we were returning home from an outing. Yes... we’d gone to the store for ice cream... and we’d just walked into the house... but there was a woman there, waiting for her. She... she said that she’d finally tracked my mother down, that the world wasn’t big enough for her to hide in. Momma... pushed me behind her... told me to go upstairs... there was smoke... and fire... and pain.” She shook her head. “That’s all I know. Everything else is a blur.” She opened eyes bright with tears, which began to fall. “That woman... she killed my mommy... and hurt me... didn’t she?”

Eva sighed deeply. She’d followed along with Venus narrative in her mind, looking for any sign of deception, that the woman was in any way faking... but she truly believed everything she’d said. The shrapnel from the exploded gun had ripped a gash through her temple, but the damage had been minimal, not even penetrating the skull to reach her brain. So... her illness is completely psychological in nature. Her mind simply couldn’t deal with the trauma, and it just shut down.

“Yes, Venus,” Eva said gently, lightly rubbing the woman’s hand. “Your mother is gone... and you were hurt. But it’s alright. You’re in a place now where you can receive the best of care. The doctors here with help you heal... both inside and out. It’ll be okay.” Eva turned to leave.

“Doctor Snow?” she asked, causing Eva to pause at the door. “My face... My momma always called me her ‘Pretty Pretty Princess’. Do you think I’m... still pretty?”

Nodding softly, Eva forced a smile. “Of course, dear,” she said softly, leaving the room. “You’re still a pretty little Princess.”

* * *

Veronica Mitchell sighed deeply, holding an umbrella over herself to keep the rain at bay. Beside her stood my aunt and my mother, all talking in low hushed voices. Since being freed from Aphrodite’s spell, they had formed... well, if not exactly a friendship, then at least an understanding. It made me feel good to see it, to know at least something good had come of everything that had happened.

There was, of course, a lot of aftermath. The mayor, once freed from the spell, was rather upset about the ‘renovations’ done to his newly refurbished City Hall building during my last battle. Worse, with Venus declared ‘mentally unsound’ and locked away in the mental asylum, there was no one he could place the blame on. Most of the citizens, awakening in the city streets, were naturally confused, having only vague and fuzzy memories of what had happened. Only those taken and converted by Goddess Aphrodite herself retained any memory of what had happened.

Unfortunately, most of the supers taken by me had been hand delivered to Aphrodite, to receive her ‘personal touch’. They all remembered what had happened, and who was responsible for their plight. And though, rationally, they knew that I had been as much a victim of mental manipulation as they, most of them still blamed me. Not that I blame them for their feelings on the matter.

Not anymore.

I listened as Eva told the others about Venus’ condition, about the trauma, about how she would no longer be a danger to anyone else. It brought a sad smile to my face. At the end, I’d done the only thing I could think of to stop her, physically disfiguring her. I hadn’t wanted to. I’d never wished pain and suffering on anyone, even my worst enemies. Truth be told, I felt sorry for her, for the things that had happened to make her the way she was. Even though I’d ‘won’, it seemed a hollow victory.

I watched as the women hugged one another, before finally departing. Aunt Eva and my mom walked off together, hand in hand. I knew about the bad blood between them. Another good thing of this tragedy is that it seems to have bridged the gap between them. There was still a long way to go before they were as close as they had been before, but they were on the path. Time heals all wounds, Eventually.

I know.

“Parker?” Veronica called, stepping into my room. “Good. You’re awake. C’mon, you know you shouldn’t be out of bed so soon after surgery.”

I smirked back at her, making my way unsteadily from the window back to my hospital bed. A bit of role reversal, that. In the six weeks since the doctors had removed the bullet from my head, Roni had been by to visit me everyday. Realistically, I knew it was more from a sense of obligation and friendship, than out of eros, that while there was something between us now, it was still too soon to call it love. We’d talked some once I was up to it, and she told me her feelings, as I’d admitted my own. Something remained of the bond we’d formed through awakening her with Venus’ powers. We were connected now, just as surely and completely as Jennifer and Jasmine had become, and even the dissipation of Venus’ spell hadn’t broken those bonds.

“Dr. Snow told us about how the Satore girl is doing,” she said once I was back in bed.

“I know,” I said with a grin. “I heard you talking.”

Veronica’s eyes widened. “You did? So... your powers? They’re—”

“It’s too soon to tell,” I said softly, closing my eyes. “I have a small hole in my head, after all, where they cut out part of my brain. I can’t tell exactly how that’s going to affect me, or whether the damage I took before the gunshot is why my powers went away.” I opened my eyes again, staring across into my friend’s eyes. “Maybe they’ll return, slowly but surely. Maybe this is all I’ll get back. I dunno. All I know is that I lived through this. I survived... and it was for a reason.”

At the end, just before the blackness took me, I realized that I had a choice. Life itself is a choice, rather to give up and end it, or to go on and endure. I could swear I heard a voice in my head, asking me whether I was done, or if I wanted to go on, despite the pain, despite suffering, despite the loneliness I would face. I thought about it... and as crazy as it sounds, I chose to live. Because life IS hard, life IS about struggling to overcome obstacles. But life is more than just that. It’s also about family, and happiness, and joy, and sorrow. Its about finding a special someone that you can share this life with, the good times as well as the bad.

Looking again at my friend, at she whom I hoped one day to be more than just a friend, I remembered those thoughts and feelings. Maybe Super Sonic was gone for good. Maybe he’d return some day. Either way, I would go on. Parker Albinn would continue his story for a while longer. Roni’s hand reached out and took my own, caressing it gently, and I returned the favor.

Whatever the future held for me, I knew now that I wouldn’t have to face it alone.

((end))