The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

His Memories Make Us

Author’s Note: His Memories Make Us is a continuation of my other story, Memories Make Us. Although it takes place from the perspective of a different protagonist, it follows directly from that story, so if you haven’t read it, please do so first to get yourself caught up with Jack and Dani’s story.

Chapter I: Promises

Think back to when you were a kid and imagine what your favorite cartoon was. Your favorite cereal. Think about your first crush, your first kiss, and the time you lost your virginity. Think about every lesson you ever experienced, either taught by someone or learned the hard way. Now ask yourself: “how much of that is real? Am I even real?” I’ll admit, it’s a strange question, but memories are fragile things, always open to modification. And when your brother is Jack McDonnell, they’re even more fragile than normal.

My full name is Danielle Whitney McDonnell, but ever since I can remember, people have called me Dani. At least I think they have, and I don’t imagine Jack would have faked that. You see, I learned recently that my brother has a strange...well, he calls it a curse, but let’s just call it an ability. He can implant false memories into anyone whenever he wants (and sometimes even when he doesn’t want). As far as we can tell, if he asks someone to remember something, they just do, and he has no way of controlling it except to tiptoe around the word “remember”. Trust me, I didn’t believe it at first, either, but then he showed me, made me remember a dog we never had, a cat we never had, and a life without both, all at the same time...it was definitely a mind-fuck. That was quite the phone call. It terrified me at first, especially when he told me our entire relationship was manufactured by his ability, but if any human discovered they could do what he does, I can’t imagine more than 10% could resist abusing it. And the fact that he felt guilty about it, tried to punish himself for it, and damn near hated himself for it...at least he was trying to do right by me.

When we were younger, I decided to start fucking Jack. That’s what I remember, at least, but Jack tells me it never happened. Then we evolved from fucking to actual dates, which I thought would be a good change of pace—or rather, Jack did, I guess. Apparently, I wasn’t the one to bring it up first like I thought. And I know what you’re all thinking: “Ew, ga-ross, you did that with your brother? Sick!” But it wasn’t like that. Jack says that, besides the first experiences, all of our times together were real, and I believe him. That’s why I can’t hate him for what he did, because I love those times together. Yeah, sure, it’s incest. Yeah, sure, it’s unusual. And yeah, sure, if we have kids there’s a chance they could have medical problems. But you know what? I don’t care about any of that. I love Jack, and for awhile I was deeply in love with him. I’m not so deep in it anymore, but I still care about him, and I wouldn’t trade the “weird” love we have for a “normal” relationship at any price, even if I was technically manipulated into accepting it in the first place.

Okay, preaching over. This isn’t a sermon, this is just me relating to you how my life changed after I learned the truth about my brother’s ability. He was away at university, and after hanging up the phone on him in fear, I’d called him back and we’d had a heart-to-heart conversation about all this. I told him how I felt, everything I just told you.

“You’re just saying that because you’re all screwed up in the head,” he lamented.

“Maybe,” I’d admitted, “but isn’t it better to be screwed up and happy than normal and missing a piece of yourself?”

“I...I don’t know...” He was unsure and wanted a reason to hate himself, and I knew nothing I could say would fix that right now.

“Look, it’s getting late, and I need to try and get some sleep. Be careful with your curse, but...don’t always assume it’s a curse. Sometimes, even the worst actions can have the best results. Goodnight, dork.”

“Goodnight, Dani.” Click. He hung up first this time.

I put the phone back on my nightstand and plugged in the charger. For the next five minutes, I sat in bed cross-legged, just staring into space, lost in thought. I felt like I should hate him, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I was disappointed in him, and honestly still a little scared of what he could do, but behind it all, I still loved him, both as a brother and a former lover. I wondered if he had any power over emotions as well as memories, because my emotions were in desperate need of simplification. First and foremost, though, I was uncomfortable leaving everything in a phone call, so I decided I’d pay him a visit as soon as possible.

About a week later, I showed up at his dorm’s door. I took a deep breath; I hadn’t told him I was coming, because I was sure he would tell me to stay away from him, even though his ability worked just fine over the phone anyway. He could be paranoid like that. After psyching myself up, I knocked twice and waited.

The door opened casually, and then Jack stopped in his tracks. “Dani! What are you doing here?” A mixture of shock and terror revealed itself in his expression.

“I came to see you, you idiot.” I wanted to hug him, but I also wanted to kiss him...and also to slap him. Without knowing what the least-awkward decision would be, I made none and instead just stood outside his door uncomfortably.

“But...why? I thought you’d be scared of me or something.”

“I am, kind of. But I love you—don’t worry, I don’t mean it like that anymore—and I thought we should have a more face-to-face discussion about all this.”

He sighed. “I’m done talking, Dani. I’ve said all I can about it, there’s nothing left to discuss.”

I was getting tired of standing in the hallway, so I pushed past him into his room. “Oh, yes, there is. And I—oh, uh, hi?” Two feet into his room, I was met with the sight of a good-looking kid sitting at a desk but staring at me. I say “kid”, but he was Jack’s age. I didn’t realize he had a roommate. The guy just waved, said “hey”, and continued staring at us. “Can you, you know, give us a little privacy, please?”

“Ooooh, hot. No problem, I’ll go grab some grub.”

As he walked out the door past Jack, who closed it behind him, I stared at my brother with wide eyes. “’Hot’? Does that mean that he—”

“Yes. Kind of my fault...” He rubbed the back of his neck in mild shame.

“Kind of? What the hell, Jack, after you blew me off, did you just go bragging about me to your friends?” Not that I would have minded being his prize if we were still together, but if he wasn’t going to love me the way I did him, he had no right to tell anyone about us at all.

“No, of course not!” he defended. “When we were on the phone last week, he overheard, that’s all. And I...may have panicked, and...well, he now has an incest fetish he never did before...” He scrunched his nose in self-disgust.

“Wow,” I said, “okay. I may not completely hate your ability, but we should probably set this rule right now: no using the ‘r-word’ on me, ever, unless I ask you to. Is that clear?”

“Crystal. I didn’t plan on it, anyway.”

“Yeah, well, you also said you didn’t plan on it with your roommate or that chick you wanted to date, either. What was her name?” He’d told me about her during that conversation just the week before, but I must have subconsciously blocked out her name.

“Heather.”

“Yeah, her.” I felt a pang of jealousy thinking about her, which was weird, because jealousy is a fear of having someone taken from you, and Jack wasn’t really mine to begin with.

“Yeah, well...the last five or six years, I’ve been helping people remember all kinds of things. It’s hard to just turn it off.”

“I’m not asking you to turn it off completely. Just with me. Just so I know everything between us from now on is real, okay?” I put my hand on his arm and rubbed it gently, softening my voice. “Hey, I’m not judging you. I just want honesty, that’s all.”

He looked up at me, his eyes pleading. “That’s all I want, too. I want you in the same world, the same reality as I am. I don’t want you believing things that never happened. I just want to go back to how we were before all this, before our first time together, when we were normal.”

That hurt to hear. I knew he wasn’t in love with me, but knowing he wanted to erase all our times together was painful. Still, I tried not to take it personally. “Well, that’s not possible. We haven’t been normal since that first time you...or I...well, hell, I don’t know which time was really the first time. But we haven’t been normal since then. I treasure it all, and I’m not saying you have to, but try to see the bright side of all this?”

“Yeah...” he said, lost in thought. Then he suddenly lunged at me and pressed his lips to mine. I wasn’t expecting that, and it took me a few moments to even register what happened. When I did, I opened my lips to let him in, wanting to stay like this forever, before regaining my senses and pushing him away.

“Woah!” I exclaimed. “Woah, woah, woah! Look, I said I treasure our times together, but I still can’t be with you like that if you don’t want me the way I want you. One-sided relationships never work.”

He dropped his head in defeat. “Yeah, I know. I just...need a little comfort, that’s all, and I don’t know who else to turn to. This whole thing has my head all mixed up.”

Your head is mixed up?” I scoffed. “No no, that’s my head. And Mom’s head and Dad’s head, and I guess now your roommate’s head. Your head is fine, only as empty as it’s always been. I’m trying to be understanding here, but if you keep jumping me like that, I won’t have enough patience to spend on you anymore.”

“No, you’re right,” he admitted. “Sorry. I just...miss us. It might have been just physical for me, I’ll admit that, but it was still great. And seeing you here, unexpectedly, even after I thought I’d driven you away... do you reme—”

“No! Don’t even think about it!” I couldn’t believe, after what we’d just discussed, he was about to say that word.

“Oh, shit, no!” He waved his hands to indicate his mistake. “I didn’t mean—I was literally just trying to reminisce, I didn’t think...” He sighed. “I didn’t think, period. I need to be more careful, I know. I was just about to ask if...uh, if you recalled...well, wait, does that cause the same thing? I don’t even know anymore...”

“Ask me, but don’t use the ‘r-word.’”

“First, do you recall breaking your arm in third grade?”

“No...” What was he going on about?

“Good, then I can say ‘recall’ without screwing you up more.”

“Ah, well, that’s good to know.”

“Yeah. So, do you recall that time on your 18th birthday, when Hank fingered you in the pool, and as we were doing it again later, you got pissed because I tried to lick you?”

“Yeah...”

“That was our first time. Our first real time doing anything like that. Just so you know.” He was trying to set the record straight to clean up the mess he’d made, and I appreciated the effort, but the memories of us before then were in my head to stay.

“Thanks. It means a lot to know that. I don’t know how long it’ll take me to actually believe it when I remember times before then so clearly, but...thanks. And seriously, thanks for doing it, for helping me find a better life than I would have had without you.” I smiled warmly to try and reassure him. “And, hey, whatever happens, I’m still your sister, and I’m always here for you like that at least, even if you don’t want me to be anything more.” I opened my arms in a gesture of embrace, and he hugged me back. It felt so good being in his arms, no matter the circumstances.

“Thanks, Dani. I love you.”

“Love you, too,” I said, and I truly meant it in the same way he did. It’s weird, but totally understandable, how you can love someone in different ways at the same time. “So, let’s talk about your roommate. What’s his name?”

“Drew,” he answered. “Why do you want to talk about him?”

“Because...you didn’t say you made him okay with incest, you said he had a new incest fetish. What did you do to him?”

“I didn’t mean to do anything!” he argued.

“I know. I’m just curious, still not judging.”

“After he heard our conversation on the phone, he put two and two together and realized we’d fucked. He was about to judge us, or flip out, or some other very negative reaction, I don’t know exactly what, but... I panicked, and I reminded him that he loves incest. I didn’t know at the time just how much he remembered loving it...”

“’At the time’? So somehow you found out...what exactly?”

“So, to make sure we don’t disturb each other when we...you know, take care of ourselves—”

“When you jack off, you mean?” I clarified for him. Honestly, he could be so immature. “I’ve jacked you off, for God’s sake, and you’ve jacked off on me before. You can say the words.”

“Right, well, uh...” I’d made him uncomfortable, which I actually took a little pleasure in, as a mild sort of retribution for what he’d done to me. “So if we need to...jack off...we draw a stop sign on the whiteboard on the door. So I got back from class a little early one night, and the stop sign was there, but I could hear his porn through the door; I don’t know why he doesn’t use headphones for that shit...”

“Incest porn?” I guessed.

He nodded. “Pretty sure there were lots of ‘bro’s’ and ‘sis’s’ being moaned. And I’ll admit, I thought of you...thought of us...but then, knowing I was the reason he was even watching it, I just felt really guilty and walked away.”

“Meh,” I said, trying to minimize the damage. “So he gets off watching siblings fuck now. Technically, so did we, and we’re fine. Don’t worry about it. Unless, you know, he tries to fuck his own sister and she’s not into it; then you can worry. Until then, you’re good.”

“You know,” he said, finally smiling for the first time since I’d arrived, “I’m glad you came. Honestly. I did miss you.”

“I missed you, too,” I replied earnestly. “And I’m staying the weekend...any ideas about what we could do while I’m here?”