The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Last of the Independents

Chapter 9: Going Diamond

Leave behind the walk of shame, Take my hand, you’re not to blame Surrender to what you can’t change, oh God.

“Scream if you wanna go faster” — Geri Halliwell

The next thing she remembered was waking up in Orlando for the next day’s show, completely refreshed and with a new outlook on life. She was much more someone who had put together a campaign that got Christy a diamond record than she was a servant and a yes woman. She put on her white and silver uniform for the day with even more conviction. Her loyalty to Christy was stronger than ever, but tinged with a ruthless desire to do nothing but make Christy that much bigger. Her presence as she stalked into the room made everyone take a step back from her.

“Have fun breaking in the dancers?” Christy asked, a teasing note in her voice but a pensive look on her face.

“Yeah, wow, I... had your dirtiest songs in my head last night,” Sasha replied, not wanting to admit that she had drifted into her own fantasy.

“You’re allowed to have an imagination, you know. I don’t care that Melinda got you writing your own songs- hell, if the lyrics fit, I might just record them. But let’s get this straight- I’m not starting my own label. You want to prove yourself to me with all of this? Fine, let’s go double diamond instead,” Christy challenged, going from joking to commanding seamlessly.

“Told ya- mmmph!” Melinda said, her proud grin kissed off her face in the middle of her sentence.

“Thanks, Melinda,” Sasha said with a smile before she headed out.

“Big grin, sharp steps, moving in ways I shouldn’t notice, acting like the queen of the world- Melinda gave you the confidence lecture, didn’t she?” Bree said with a giggle, looking up from typing form letters to Christy’s fan mail but never stopping.

“How would you know?”

“How do you think I know to call it the confidence lecture? Melinda did it to all of us. It’s her trademark. Yeah, it’s a little dirty, but she said she wanted us to be more of a team and give Christy some ideas on how she can do better, so we wouldn’t just be e-mail hounds. Don’t worry, I won’t tell you what got me if you don’t tell me what got you,” Bree said, making a suggestive gesture before looking back towards the screen.

“Very funny, sis. No, not even I can convince Christy to do her own label. It was a good idea, but... finding other sirens- what if we got someone more powerful?”

Bree breathed in sharply. “Finding someone with an even better voice than Christy? Damn, that would be... awesome!” she said with a giggle.

“Oh, I get it. You like having that song stuck in your head. I guess I can reassure mom that it’s healthier than whiskey,” Sasha said with a teasing smile.

“Well, something like that,” Bree said coyly, twirling around once in her chair and coming back to her computer with her hands on the keys like she was playing the piano.

Sasha pondered her sister’s motives for a minute, wondering when Bree had gotten so good at not actually saying things, then shrugged off the thought and rounded up her staff. She wasn’t afraid to ignore some of the yawns and stretches as she barked out her orders. Everyone got to work as soon as she ordered them, her machine working at peak condition as her people cranked out releases and pitched reporters. Sasha pulled out her phone, flipped it open, and made a special call before heading to Christy’s room.

“Christy Reed, you just sold ten million albums. What are you going to do next?” she asked in the doorway, using her best announcer’s voice.

“Well, I have this tour, and we’re going to take Europe by storm this summer. London, Berlin- I may even get to perform in front of someone who’s more thankful for Stoli than I am.” Christy looked up. “Or should I say ‘St. Petersburg, then, well, St. Petersburg’ to announce those Russian dates you got for me?”

“I’d go with the second option. Since you’ve never touched vodka in your life, I’d lay off the ‘thanks for Stoli’ thing you put in the liner notes. Let’s not set up too many inconsistencies. Besides, c’mon. You didn’t recognize that line?” Sasha said with a grin.

Christy went pale. “What? No, no, I have enough press that I don’t need to sell myself to them and their media tour.”

“Ack! No, no, I’d never do that! No sleeping with rats! But we have enough in the teen demo that a little plastic will help keep it up. You know, the ‘tough girl who doesn’t back down to boys’ thing. Female independence, your spice more chili powder than cinnamon and sugar, that kind of angle. Got it all set up. I swear, it’ll only be a couple of hours, and it’s a tradition when you’re in that area. I promise, no Goofy. I know what they’ve been doing for the last fifty years, but think of it this way. What’s the one thing you keep closer than your best friend?”

“Your worst enemy. All right, so we’re goin’ down to Orlando. Now there’s just one thing... you’re not draggin’ me out there and then not lettin’ me on the roller coasters, right?” Christy teased with a grin.

“Now that’s the Christy I know and love. Would I ever deprive you of a bit of fun?”

As they got into the limo to the airport, Christy asked, “You know the story behind ‘Everyone Lives on One World’, right?” She sounded a little like the dark princess seeing some sort of trap ahead and a college student telling a ghost story.

“What, that the song’s so goofy that it makes people too stupid to be anything but happy no matter what happens on the grounds? Pretty sure that one’s true, given what I’ve read.”

“Oh, it’s totally a brainwashing chamber. That’s not the one I’ve heard, though. Way I always heard it, those robot mannequins aren’t really robots, they’re folks who stayed on the ride too long. What do you think?” Christy asked with a grin.

“Holy shit. I never thought about that before, but it makes sense that they would take people who OD and use them as workers... or samples,” Sasha said, suddenly alarmed. “No wonder you hate this place.”

“Didn’t say that. I grew up lovin’ it. I just know to be careful. It’s a good move- we get the parents to think I’m family friendly, then they and the kids are both hooked, and now we’ve got double revenue streams. Guess you’ve been talkin’ to Bree again.”

“She is my sister,” Sasha said with a smile.

“Well, I meant that she probably got the idea ‘cause your folks were nagging her about her job so much she finally decided to shut them up by getting them into what she was into,” Christy explained.

“Nope, she’s still hung up on the label thing. I think she likes to not be in full control. This part was all my idea,” Sasha said.

Christy nodded. “About Bree... it happens, and more than you think. She’s lucky she landed in a safe place.”

Sasha’s heart sank at the possibilities, and she stared out the window moodily until they arrived.

“You better pray none of those little hellions rip my dress,” Christy said with a wink to jolly her out of it as she stepped out with security.

“I don’t think Hank will let them. Besides, punting six-year-olds isn’t very civil,” Sasha replied. “I do enough work as it is- that’s a hit to your image I don’t think even I could spin.”

“You spoil all my fun,” Hank said. “I get good distance on them, you know. All that padding around the middle means I can really let loose.”

“Please tell me that was a joke.”

“That was a joke.”

Sasha winced. “Now say it like you mean it...”

The event was a bigger success than any of them could have imagined. Christy made a good evil queen; something about throwing apples at the naive girl dressed as Snow White made not only sense, but a great magazine cover. She gloried in making the happiest place on Earth the stomping ground of the queen of darkness.

“This old thing? I rode it when I was in Charlotte. Kind of old and unimpressive, as I recall. Overrated, if you ask me,” Christy said at the photo op, standing in front of the giant roller coaster as Hank let out a loud “WOO!” at every pause. Around her, costumed characters desperately tried to keep their heads attached and stay in character.

Microphones were shoved into her face and flashbulbs went off. Christy kept her cool. “My music is more about girls not just giving in to stereotypes. Sometimes a good princess needs to be an evil queen to do best by the people, after all,” she said as her sound bite. “No more questions, please. I have a show to prepare for.”

And though they hounded her, she got back in the limo and gestured at her team to follow. “So what have we learned?” she asked, all business at a moment’s notice.

“You like this more than you want to admit,” Sasha replied, grinning from ear to ear.

“Exactly. And you showed me you were ready to go down any road to get the message out. The publicists before you kept forgetting that and trying to play it safe for me. Don’t need you to play it safe. I’ll be honest, the way you were goin’, I was gonna let you go after the tour. Nothing personal, just needed to keep things fresh and keep everyone guessin’. But now? You’re not goin’ anywhere unless you decide to do so,” Christy said, leaning over and squeezing Sasha’s hand.

Part of Sasha wanted to do cartwheels. The rest of her tried to stay focused on her work. She wasn’t sure how much of either reaction was due to Christy’s control and how much of it was sheer professional pride in her workmanship. “I don’t know what to say, other than thanks. Oh, God, I’m hyperventilating. I’m sorry. I gotta refocus. I—”

“Good grief, if you weren’t havin’ that kind of reaction, I’d worry about you!” Christy said, gently teasing up Sasha’s skirt and coaxing her to let go for just a second. Sasha closed her eyes and grinned like an idiot. It was the last casual moment she would let herself have for a long time.

What had been good enough no longer was. Local media turned national, national media turned global. Sasha pursued every avenue and never let up. The tour wound its way around the country; they might have been physically in New York, but Sasha’s mind was twenty stops ahead, running full speed into Europe. Her staff turned over so much that she lost track of who was where at any given time, but she gradually realized that she was remembering faces more and more often, and these people were keeping up with her in ways she hadn’t been able to imagine before. It dawned on her what was happening, and she cornered Melinda before one of the shows.

“We own our staff your way,” she said bluntly. “Yeah, it’s Christy’s music in their heads making them loyal, and if push comes to shove I think they’ll follow her... but I only think so! It’s our voice they answer to and our commands they take!”

“And...?” Melinda asked in confusion.

“And that means we’re... we’re...”

“What? We’re controllers? That’s the idea. We pleasure them to keep them from being Christy’s lap dogs, but someone has to hold the leash. It keeps us on top, keeps you in Christy’s good graces, and what’s not to like about that. I never saw the dark side like you keep talking about, and it’s not like you’re in thigh-highs with a whip making them work for the greater glory of Christy Reed,” Melinda said.

“Fair enough, but... it’s unsettling. We have to be fearless...” Sasha stopped and took a breath. “But I don’t want to become what Christy fears. She means too much to me.”

“To me too! I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t love her. But you don’t enjoy watching them enjoy each other? You let your dancers do it like everyone else? Yeah, the boys don’t find each other attractive, but I know how to make them do what I want. It’s not wrong, not when you’re just making them work. Jan ran the stats by me, you know. They get tired here, but if anything, we’re over-preparing them. They get bored out of their minds when they get real jobs- but believe me, they got real jobs.”

“After this, I think anything would be a cakewalk,” Sasha said, but she understood why Christy drew the line at running her own label. It wasn’t fear of herself breaking people, or fear of the talent she might bring in- it was fear of what could happen with those closest to her. The second layer of control that was forming because of Melinda’s methods added new reasons to be afraid, and Sasha couldn’t blame her. Being last of the independents meant not relying on the labels that killed- but meant not bringing in people she would have to support, either. Sasha took charge of herself at this revelation, looked over her staff, saw the bags under some of their eyes, and marked off the ones to let go, then got ready to move on to the next step.

“Three this time? You sure you don’t need to ease up a touch?” Christy asked.

“We’ll need different skill sets for Europe, and where better to get the right people than the city of the world? The last batch was tougher than the one before- we only had to let them go because we can’t have people who only speak English,” Sasha explained. Melinda’s smirk almost gave her away, but Christy accepted the explanation and got the line ready.

Sasha knew what she had to do, and she let her fantasies take center stage. She didn’t care about names, just credentials and looks as she glanced back and forth between resumes and blank faces. She hadn’t been kidding about the linguistics, but making sure her Russian was blonde and stacked fooled nobody as to her ulterior motives. A hard-nosed publicist with dreadlocks and astonishing cheekbones, then a dark-haired man with shoulders like a bull from one of the top ad firms in the city, rounded out Sasha’s picks, and she let them shower, then had the makeup room set up. “Fearless,” Sasha told herself.

She had to try hard to hide her arousal as the entranced Russian beauty sauntered in wearing the white skirtsuit of the day. Sasha smiled and sat her down, blasting Christy’s CD to make sure nothing happened to wake her up, then walked over and whispered her new role in her ear. The Russian got up and obediently took off her jacket. Sasha had to try to hide her laughter, but not for long as they locked lips, both of them surrendering to the subliminal bliss of the CD.

After an hour or two to recharge, Sasha finished the other two similarly, implanting her commands and plans in them- but most of all, loyalty to Christy overriding everything else. The idea that she was helping other people surrender to Christy took her over the edge for the last time.

The sound of honking horns awakened her. She blinked away sleep sand and saw a sign for the New Jersey Turnpike, along with a sea of cars moving forward in fits and starts. “New York to New Jersey, even against the rush, doesn’t allow for a nice gentle roll to help you sleep, does it?” Melinda teased.

“I’m not sure I like this new trend, but it gets results. Melinda’s team barely needs rotation, so I don’t mind that you picked it up. But Mike, Lyubov, and Roxana better perform. Things are goin’ nuts in Hollywood, and things might be real different when we return from Europe,” Christy warned.

“I picked the cream of the crop for you,” Sasha replied.

They rolled on and started setting up for the next show. Lyubov came up to Sasha, all business despite having only been on the job for an hour. “St. Petersburg first, da?”

“Uh, yeah. Sorry, you surprised me. I thought Jan wouldn’t be done with you yet.”

“Jan had little I did not know from you. I do not like sharing,” Lyubov replied. Sasha had to fight to keep her pride from shining through at one of her charges- it would defeat the purpose- but she low fived Melinda when she passed.