The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadow IV: Nebulous Reunion

By J. Darksong & Madam Kistulot

Epilogue:

“Okay. Thanks, Counter. Just keep an eye on her for a while for me, please. Yeah... thanks for letting me know. Okay, bye.” She closed her cell, sliding it back into her pocket

“Everything okay?” I asked, anxiously, as I pulled my Durango to a stop at the light. After everything that we’d endured, neither Nebula nor I had enough juice for an extended flight. Deep down, I knew things were okay... well, that the two people Sylvia and I cared for most in the world, were both alive and all... knew it from the bond I shared with my brother. Still, even knowing, I needed to hear the news for myself.

“Yeah, looks like,” Sylvia replied, letting out a deeply held breath. “You were right. Was a bit of a fiasco back in Midas... but they both pulled through. Counter Spell says Aurora was a bit shaken up by the whole dying and coming back to life thing, but that she’s playing off as no big deal. Typical ’Rora.” She sighed, turning away... but I could feel her tears, even without the mist. “The EMT’s on the scene checked her over, and gave her a clean bill of health, so I guess she’s fine... but...” She shuddered slightly, and Jess and I leaned in closer, hugging her tightly.

“I know what you’re feeling, Nebby,” I whispered softly. “You wish you had been there to protect her... you wish you were there right now... same as I feel for Jimmy, but... neither of them are kids anymore... and we’re their siblings, not their parents. Not sure about ’Rora... don’t know all the specifics about the last time you two were together... but Jimmy was more than capable of asking me for help. He choose to try and handle things by himself... and... well...” I shrugged, moving forward as the light finally changed. Sylvia nodded.

“Yeah... same with ’Rora. I tried to get her to leave Midas.... practically begged her to come on tour with me. I mean... I’m worried about Sarah being gone too... and I’ve looked and searched and asked around at every stop we’ve made. But... you know my sister. If stubbornness was a super power, she’d be unstoppable.”

“Yeah, I know the feeling,” I sighed, glancing at my BFF turned GF. Jess frowned slightly, but kept her mouth shut. “The important thing is that they’re both safe and sound, right? Jimmy is heading back here with my dad, and ’Rora is going to take a little break to recuperate, with her partner and your other cousin, Mina, looking after her.” I sighed softly, turning just enough to see her face. “So... I guess we’d better get you back to your hotel so you can get packed? Or... straight to the airport, if you want? I assume you’ll want to head out to Midas as soon as possible. I can make a few calls if you like... Dad’s using the private jet right now, but we have others. I could arrange something in... an hour?”

“Thank you, cousin,” Sylvia replied, gratefully, sincerely, brushing aside a tear, “but that’s okay. We’re staying. Aurora is fine for the moment... and as much as I want to run to her... I... need to give her her space. I mean, that was the point, right? She needed time figure out how to deal us... and with mom being gone...” Her eyes glistened, but no more tears fell. My heart twisted in my chest at the sight... she was misting slightly, but keeping her pain held down tightly. She forced a smile. “Besides.... we still have a concert to perform, right? You know the old saying, ‘The Show Must Go On’ and all that.” She shook her head. “That whole thing with Dream Queen lasted a lot longer than we thought... it’s already three-thirty in the afternoon! Symphonic Nebula is slated to go on in a few hours, and if I don’t check in with my band mates soon, they’ll string me up.”

Three-thirty... and we’d left to go on patrol around seven pm the night before. Once things had settled down. and I’d regained consciousness, Sylvia filled me in on what had happened. Snapping Dream Queen’s control had snapped Knight, Rook, Jess and her fully awake again. Of course, their freedom was only transitory, as I’d turned them all into my slaves shortly thereafter... but once Jimmy’s psychic scream broke my concentration, they’d been freed once more. Including Dream Queen herself... except the rewrite I’d given her mind was a bit more forceful and, as it was starting to appear, permanent. Submissiveness had been etched so deeply into her psyche that even freed from my control, and a facing prison sentence for what she’d done, she found herself unable and unwilling to try and escape. Sylvia merely telling her to stay put until the police arrived was sufficient enough to keep her from running.

“Sylvia, Jess, I am so so soooo sorry,” I said for perhaps the tenth time as we arrived finally at the Regency Hotel where Nebby and her bandmates were staying while in River City. “I’m so sorry about this... about everything that happened. This was all my fault.”

Sylvia rolled her eyes. “Katie, sweetie, it’s okay. Like I said the first ten time, none of this was your fault. You just wanted to show me a good time,” she said with a smirk, her double-entende clear. “And, well... it was. Not so much the getting captured and having my mind controlled part... but everything up ’til then was great. And, helping take down the bad guy in the end always feels good.”

“Plus, we’re both fine, baby,” Jess added, giving my hand a firm squeeze. “No one got physically hurt, and other than never wanting to play a game of chess again in my life, we all came through pretty much unscathed.

“Yeah, I know... but you never should have been involved. Dream Queen wasn’t after money or power, or world domination... she was after me, specifically. You and Sylvia got dragged along because you were with me.”

“Katie, please! That’s enough,” Sylvia said sharply, causing me to turn towards her. “This. Wasn’t Your. Fault. You didn’t lure me here to River City under false pretenses—I came because I wanted to. Your suggestion that we go out on patrol while you showed us the city? It was a suggestion nothing more. I could have said no. But I wanted to share the experience with you. And you weren’t the one who drugged me and kidnapped me to use as a pawn in some revenge scheme—“

“Üm, yeah... that was me,” Jess said sheepishly, turning away. “Sorry about that.”

“It’s not your fault either, Jess,” Sylvia stated, giving the saddened girl a quick kiss. “The person responsible for this mess is now in police custody. Alicia Monroe is the villain here, not you. It was just dumb luck that we were all here together when she struck.” I winced slightly, but Sylvia noticed, and refused to let it drop. “And I don’t mean ‘luck’ as in caused by your ‘guardian angels’. Look at it this way: if she hadn’t struck when she had, with all of us together, then you might not have been able to break free of her control. Knight and Rook would still be under her control. And you’d still be under her control right now as well, eagerly helping her try and take down your mom.”

She had a point. A very good one. While I wasn’t so sure that my ‘guardian angels’ weren’t responsible for getting Nebby involved, I had to admit that there was no way I would have come out of this situation as well as we had without her help. Still, I felt guilty about what I’d tried to do there at the end... when I’d... lost control.

“And don’t beat yourself up about the other thing,” Sylvia added, somehow sensing what was going through my mind. She turned to look me directly in the eye. “It’s not easy to resist temptation. And you’re not the only one that’s given in to those particular desires...” She sighed, looking away for a moment, deep in thought. This time, I was the one with insight to her thoughts... not surprising, considering our psyches had shared rental space for a while.

“Nebby? Are you okay?” I asked, placing a finger underneath her chin, gently turning her back to face me again. It was almost strange how comfortable I felt with simple intimate gestures like that now. “Just as much as none of this was my fault, what happened at the end wasn’t yours.” That whole experience in our minds... that shared dreamscape? Not really sure exactly what happened there. All I’d wanted to do was help Nebby... to take away the pain and fear she felt, to lessen it somehow. And... what I did... absorbing some of her inner darkness... I hadn’t known I could do that. It was reckless... and in retrospect, possibly dangerous. I could have damaged Sylvie and myself in the process... but it was the only thing I could think of at the time.

“Yeah, well,” she said after a moment, letting out a small sigh. “You never should have been put in the position to deal with it. Singularity is my alterego... a separate personality, but still a part of me. It... she... has always been a part of me... my deepest darkest desires. And yeah... one of my biggest fears was that she would some day overwhelm me and I’d get swallowed up by her need... but...” she shrugged. “Whatever you did? She’s still there... I’m still me... but... less? That need to control, to dominate, to... take whatever I want without regards? It’s less. It feels... normal. Manageable.” She smiled softly, reflectively, as if in wonder, before turning her attention back to me. “But, Katie, you—”

“Will be just fine, Nebby.” I assured her, forcing a smile of my own. “Sorry to worry you. I got a little... carried away at first. I admit it... feeling that need in you inside myself... it was powerful... intoxicating... but I’m fine now. Really.” My smile widened. “I’m sorry... my Light is a poor pale imitation of Sarah’s... if she were here she could have helped you without going psycho at the end, but... I did help, didn’t I?”

“Yes, sweetie, you did. I’m just hoping you’re able to deal with what you took from me...” Sylvia sighed again. She knew only too well what it felt like to deal with that constant need for more... that selfish pleasure to be fulfilled percolating just beneath the surface, waiting for the first sign of weakness to rear its ugly head. It was her fear and weakness that allowed Dream Queen to control her, her great fear that she would one day follow in her mother’s footsteps. And yet now... somehow... she felt... no, she knew that wouldn’t happen... that the scales had been tipped back in her favor.

Still, I have a life time of experience fighting my dark half. Katie has always been so... innocent... such a creature of light, with no darkness in her at all. I have to wonder if that will make her more able to deal with the darkness... or less...

“Hey, now, ladies,” Jess blurted in, grabbing Sylvia and myself by the waist. “Enough of this serious talk, okay? We all survived the encounter, the bad guy is going to jail, Knight and Rook got their minds back and everything is honkey dorey again. Let’s not dwell on it, okay?” She smirked. “On the lighter side of things... speaking of ‘intoxicating’, did my darling girlfriend ever tell you about her first and only experience with hard liquor while we were in Miami?”

“HEY!” I yelled indignantly, hands going automatically to my hips. “How was i supposed to know they put alcohol in the thing? I mean, it’s called an ‘Iced Tea’ for goddess’ sakes! I thought it would be safe!”

Sylvia blinked, then suddenly burst into laugher. “Ohhh! Ohhh my goodness... Oh Katie, sweetie, really? You didn’t know... oooohhh...” she nearly doubled over in laughter, Jessica joining her, while I just stood there blushing furiously. “Oh, baby... I can just imagine...no... goddess... hahahaha... I can remember it now, the memory, while we were linked!”

“Nebby!” I protested, pouting.. before breaking into a grin, and joining them both in laughter as well. Thank you, Jess... we all needed a laugh. Even if it was at my expense... and I’ll get you back for that later.

Our shared laughter finally died down by the time we made it to the elevator. Waiting for the car to arrive, we fell into what was probably the first awkward silence we’d shared this entire trip. All the heavy duty emotional stuff had been handled... well... mostly. I wasn’t really sure if Sylvia wanted to perform tonight out of obligation... or as a way of distracting herself from everything else going on in her life... or if she just, truly, wanted to perform. She’d helped me so much in this visit... had patched up things between Jess and I... had even saved my life, or a fate worse than death, at the hands of Dream Queen. And what had I done for her? Gotten her captured, tortured, enslaved... yeah, I suppose I’d kinda helped by bleeding off some of her inner darkness... but even that was half-assed, Sarah would have fixed things perfectly. And even in that, when I’d actually given her something akin to peace, I shattered it by telling her what had happened to Aurora, making her blame herself and worry all over again.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is her last visit to River City ever... wouldn’t blame her if she never came back again...

The elevator pinged, and the doors opened, and Sylvia stepped out. Then turned and glanced at me, expectantly. “Well, what are you waiting for, cousin? An engraved invitation? C’mon... the girls are waiting!”

“Huh?” I answered, showing my mastery of the English language. “You... mean you want me... us... Jess and I... you want us to come on up?”

“Of course! That was the plan, right? Unless you’ve changed your minds?”

“NO!” Jess blurted out, stepping forward, all but dragging my along by my arm. “Not at all! We’d love to meet Nikki and the gang. It’s just... well.. you know... after everything that happened..”

“What? You thought I’d planned to ditch you both and run away screaming?” Sylvia guessed, eyebrow raised. “Heh. Not a chance. I don’t wanna keep beating the same dead horse here, but ladies, what happened was NOT, I repeat, NOT your fault. I thought we were done with all the serious doom and gloom talk earlier. This is the fun part, okay? Frankly, I’ve been waiting to introduce you two to the girls since we first arrived in town.” She gave us her patented, win-you-over, can’t-say-no smile, batted her eyes, and did that thing with her arms that made her breasts just seem to pop out at you even more through that star shaped cut out. “And... you don’t want to disappoint me, do you girls?” she asked, coettishly.

Not trusting our voices not to crack, we both shook our heads. Damn... the girl could go from normal to drop dead diva bombshell mode in an instant! That familiar dark and incessant need made its presence felt again... but this time, it was a need to please, to give, not to take. Disappoint Nebby? Not a chance!

“Good girls,” she said, grinning wider, as she walked the short distance to her hotel room door and knocked. “We still owe you a private concert, after all... and if there’s one thing Symphonic Nebula prides itself on, its making sure the fans leave fully satisfied.”

* * *

Another world away, the calm tranquil surface of the water stirred, rippling slightly as a tall, golden haired, golden skinned woman emerged, reaching out for the stone walls to lift herself up and out. Naked, she shook her head, sending droplets of water in all direction, before brushing it back away from her face with her fingers, Barefoot, she stepped gently down onto the soft grassy ground, where another young woman with long gleaming white hair waited. Wordlessly, she handed the golden haired woman a towel, then helped her slide into a comfortable warm brown robe.

“How goes your search, Sister?” the dark haired woman inquired. “You were in there for quite a while.”

“I... found her...” Lacie Frasier gasped wearily, tying the robe gently to keep it in place. “Sarah... Silver Girl... she’s alive... if not exactly well...” She faltered, nearly swooning, as the dark haired woman caught her easily, holding her. “Sorry, Lilandra... a little woozy... give me a minute and I’ll be... fine...”

“Sister, it’s okay. You need to rest. You were down in the Well of Souls for more than a month now. That’s far longer than any of us could even hope to last... and even one as strong as you can’t simply brush off her fatigue so easily. Come... you need rest... some food, and then to sleep for a bit.”

“No,” she said wearily, trying to push herself back upright... trying and failing. “I need to let her daughters know she is alive... to bring them the news...” She closed her eyes for a moment, trying to gather her strength. “Dammit... I can’t be this weak! I need to... need to go to them...”

“And you will, Sister,” Lilandra said serenely, helping her along, guiding her gently back towards the encampment. “After you have rested. It will do you no good to overexert yourself in trying to bring them news if you collapse before you even begin. They have waited this long... they can wait a little longer.”

Lacie merely sighed. “She’s being tortured, Lilandra. She’s strong, but... I don’t know how much longer she’ll be able to endure. Not physically... but psychologically. Emotionally. Her enemy is trying to break her... since she’s unable to bend the Light Bearer’s will, she’s trying to break her spirit. And I... can’t get to her. Her thread... it’s displaced... it’s still there, and I can see it, but where she is, I can’t... touch it.. can’t touch HER!” She growled in frustration. So near, and yet so close... watching her dear friend suffer... not being able to help her... it was maddening. “I have to do something, Lil... have to reach her daughters... tell them at least that she is alive... give them hope!”

“And you will, Granddaughter,” Vurda announced as they entered the encampment. “For that is all you can give them. I know this Silver Girl is your friend... but remember, child, this is not your affair. The witch girl and her little witchlings have their own separate destiny to fulfill... and you cannot change it. Their magic is apart from our own... you can observe, and you can advise, or even guide... but you cannot change what must happen.”

“Yes, Grandmother,” Lacie replied with an edge. “I am quite aware of my own limitations. I don’t need you to spell it out for me.” At times like this, she asked herself why she’d even relented and released the stuffy old woman from the psychic lock she’d placed on her mind all those years ago. “And before you even start, yes, I’ve been attending to my other duties as well as I searched... untangling knots and twirls in the Great Weave all the while. I still don’t think it is helping, though... if anything, the knots of fate seem to be coming more frequently than less.”

Vurda scowled. “Yes... I’ve noticed that as well. I think it is soon drawing near to the time of the Event prophesied to destroy the Great Weave... a knot so big that it with tear apart all the other threads of fate. Fixing the smaller knots are only buying us time... prolonging the inevitable. If things do not change, then the end will come.”

“I know. I know!” Lacie said, too tired to fight, to have this same discussion yet again. “And I know you say I am part of the solution... that I am the key to stopping it. But you haven’t told me how, or why... or even when it is supposed to occur! I can’t act until I know what I am up against... and as much as I love visiting Home I can’t stay here forever, waiting for this unknown thing to happen.”

“Besides, Grandmother,” Lilandra interjected, leading Lacie over to a seat to rest, “Sister Lacie is only part of the solution. The other part is our missing Sister... Skuld’s Descendant.”

“Yes, Gertruda,” Vurda murmured softly. " Her disappearance makes the task of staving off the end of all things more difficult. Tanya, Farris, and Merin all have her blood and her power, but not her skill in deciphering the future. Most distressing of all is the fact that her thread, like the LaSilvas girl’s, is displaced... there but not there... unreachable.” She scowled deeper. That alone was the main reason she’d allowed her errant granddaughter to search for the missing witch girl, in the hopes that if their fates had become intermingled somehow, finding her would lead to Gertruda as well.

Unfortunately, the dark haired girl was yet to be found.

“At any rate, Sister Lacie needs to rest. Urdarbrunnr drains a person’s life essence, and that essence needs time to replenish itself.” Nodding serenely, she gestured forth to a pair of younger sisters, carrying a small platter of food and drink, which Lacie gratefully accepted.

Lilandra is right, she thought wearily. As frustrating as it is to sit here and do nothing, I do need the time to recuperate. The important thing is that Sarah is alive, and now that I’ve found her, I can keep watch over her anytime I need to. When I’m able, I go to Aurora and Sylvia, and give them the news. She sighed, draining the goblet of wine half-empty, before settling back, leaning her head down to rest a bit, closing her eyes. Those two girls... their fates are unique. If anyone can find a way to save Silver Girl, I’m sure it’s them. Who knows... they might have already found her and discovered a way to rescue her by the time I go to them...