The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows 8: Dark Dungeon’s Depths

by J. Darksong & Baltimore Rogers

Ch. 2) Holding On

“Okay, it’s official,” Parker Albinn sighed, dropping down into his favorite recliner, tossing his briefcase aside. “Frasier Industries’ dissolution is complete. The last corporate entity has been sundered, and its employees laid off. Me and a few of the junior executives will stay on through the week, along with a few temps, to help catalog and transfer over all of the official paperwork... but basically, it’s over. The end of a legacy,” he sighed again, shaking his head. “I feel sorry for the old guy. And, well... for me too, come to think of it. I’m out of a job as well. I’m not looking forward to heading back into the job pool again.”

“Well, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem,” Veronica Albinn replied, answering him from the next room. “You’ve twenty years of experience, an impressive resume, and with Gene’s personal recommendation, you’ll have more offers than you’ll know what to do with!”

“Hmph,” Parker scoffed, loosening his tie, “if only that were the case. I went to work for him right after college, remember? All I’ve done is work with high output energy systems and power regulation in the technical field. And executives are pretty much a dime a dozen. Everyone and his mother has a Business degree these days.” He closed his eyes, slumping forward. “I’m too damn old to start over again at the bottom of the totem pole.”

Roni carefully blotted her painted lips. Too much? she wondered, eyeing herself critically. No. Too much is never enough it this case. I need my best war paint to face down ‘The Bitch’.” Remembering Parker in the other room, she replied, “Frasier Industries wasn’t the only high-tech firm in the city, you know. Maybe you could apply somewhere else at the same position you are now—“

“I’ve thought about that,” Parker replied grimly. “None of the smaller companies can afford to pay me what I made at FI. That, coupled with the fact that so many well qualified technology specialists were laid off means the market itself is flooded with applicants. And as for the bigger companies... the two biggest are Braxton Technologies and GrimTech. I’d rather dive headfirst into a swimming pool filled with rusty razor blades then swim naked through the River City sewer system than work for Braxton Van Hoffe. And you don’t even WANT to know what I’d do to keep from working for Nigel fucking Grimalde.”

“Well, sweetie, it’s not as if we’re hurting for money right now,” Roni pointed out, without looking away from the mirror. “I’m still working, and my salary alone is enough to keep us going. Plus, with our savings and that amazing severance package you received, you could retire and we would still be okay. After this week, we could even go on that vacation we’ve been talking about. You promised Lucy we’d take her to Disneyland this summer as soon as you got your next break from work, after all.”

“Yeah... I suppose,” Parker acknowledged, after a moment. “And, well, a vacation might be just the thing to help me recover from all this stress. But, well, you know me, honey. It would be nice for a while, but after a week, I’d be bouncing off the walls. I have to work to keep my mind and body occupied or I’ll end up driving you nuts.”

“Ugh. Don’t remind me,” Roni groaned aloud as she applied her eye shadow. “I still remember the four weeks you spent in recovery after your gunshot wound, before you were released from bed rest! I honestly contemplated killing you myself a few times...”

“Geez, baby, overreact much?” he replied with a smirk, rising to his feet.

Through the open doorway she glared daggers at him. Parker only had the vaguest of ideas of how utterly impossible he was to live with when he was bored. Then her expression brightened. “Hey, honey, have you thought about consulting?”

“Ha! I ran a tech division, babe. I’m not an actual engineer.”

“No, no,” Roni replied, “I’m thinking of management consulting. For years you ran a successful division of a high-tech company, one with billions in government contracts. Surely someone else might be willing to pay for your advice, right?”

Parker’s brow furrowed, but Roni could tell that he liked the idea. He was doing that high speed nervous twitch thing that he did with his left foot. She smiled and returned to her primping.

“You know... that might be just the thing. It probably wouldn’t keep me busy more than half the time. But I could use the other time to write a book or something. And also... what are you doing in there, anyway,” he asked, walking into the next room, “that you can’t come out and greet your loving husband after a long hard day at the office...” He pulled to a stop, frowning, as he watched his wife curling and styling her long dark hair. “Um... Roni, sweetie... what the hell is going on?” he asked, arms crossed.

“It’s Friday, Parker,” she said wearily, already knowing what was coming next.

“Uh huh. It’s Friday evening, and you’re dressed in your best navy blue dress, wearing those pearls and matching earrings I bought you for our anniversary. You’re even wearing heels, those really tall ones with the heel straps that you claim to ‘hate’ so much. So again, Veronica, I ask... what the hell?”

Turning away from the mirror, she glanced at her husband. “Parker,” she began.

“No. NO. NO NO NO NO NO!” he growled, turning around and walking out of the room. “No way in hell. We’re NOT going to dinner with the enemy!”

“Parker!” Roni called after him, running across the room to catch him before he could reach the front door. “Parker! Don’t you dare run off and leave like this! Look... I know how you feel, all right? I’ve been with you since the beginning of this. But... things are different now. It’s time to let bygones be bygones. Even your Aunt Eva has reconciled with the Grimaldes now, and is best friends with Angela. The least we can do is sit down together and break bread with them.”

“Dinner with Nigel Grimalde,” Parker grunted, rolling his eyes. “Yeah, sure. That’s definitely up there with my top ten ways of spending my Friday night. As if losing my job today wasn’t enough of a downer. And you just KNOW he’ll know about it and point it out!” He shook his head. “Uh, uh. Fuck that. Sweetie... you’re already dressed; you go on my behalf. Tell them... Oh! Tell them I was out on patrol, and an emergency came up!” He nodded, streaking across the room and upstairs, returning a split second later dressed in his costume. “Friday IS our usual night to patrol the city after all. So this is an acceptable compromise. You go and make nice with the natives while I do a few circuits around the city...”

“Parker, sweetie,” Veronica said moving over to wrap her arms lightly over his shoulders, “you know I love you. You know I serve you. And I say this with all the love and respect I could possibly have for my husband and Master. You are out of your fucking mind,” she growled, changing her hug into a choke, “if you think for one moment that I’m going to this thing without you! Everything you feel about Grimalde, I feel doubly about his little smart-ass wife! Do you honestly think I could spend ten minutes alone in her presence without trying to decapitate her?” She grinned savagely at the idea. “I imagine that might put a damper on the whole ‘becoming better friends’ theme of this dinner.“

“Huh,” Parker replied, nodding slowly. Decapitation? Geez. Note to self: do NOT leave Roni alone with Patty for any length of time... “Well, fine then, I guess you got all dressed up for nothing, then. I’m sure not going—” A beeping sound coming from his pocket caught his attention, and pulling out his PDA, he tapped a button and scrolled through several screens before laughing ruefully. “Well well... how do ya like that? Talk about being saved by the buzzer! The silent alarm at the storage facility on Ninth Street just went off. Someone is trying to break in and steal the FI tech that’s still waiting for transport. Looks like I’ve got a legitimate reason to miss the dinner after all!“

“You mean, we’ve got a legitimate reason,” Roni replied, closing her eyes, activated her Neuroweave costume. In a brief flash, her expensive evening gown fell to the floor, replaced by a midnight black, form-fitting body suit that left little to the imagination. Winking at her husband, she slid the matching black kerchief up over her face, leaving only her eyes visible. “Alright, partner,” Shinobi replied, “we’re set. If nothing else, it will give us both a chance to work off a bit of... frustration. Let’s head out and teach this would-be thief that he picked the wrong day to mess with the two of us.“

* * *

It’s one of my worst nightmares, actually. Or, a variation on the theme, at least.

Being trapped, helpless—alive and conscious and sensate but being paralyzed, and unable to move. A long time ago, back when I was in kindergarten, I’d been playing outside and wandered into my dad’s workshop. He’d been working on some new device or another, and hadn’t noticed me slipping inside. There was some kind of tube on the floor, a long, thick metal tube, and for some strange reason I’d tried to crawl inside it. I’d made it about three-fourths of the way through when I’d gotten stuck. And with the tube’s diameter just barely the width of my shoulders, I had no room to maneuver, no room to turn around, and in the position I was stuck in, nothing to push off against to unwedge myself.

Needless to say, I panicked. I screamed, I kicked, I cried bloody murder. And my dad fried a few circuit boards in shock from the ruckus I caused, but figuring out what had happened, pulled me out straight away. And gave me a scolding about sneaking into his lab, then hugged me tight, told me it would be okay, and sent me back out to go play with my sister.

Still, that feeling of being trapped and helpless, unable to move... it was a fear that’s stuck with me ever since that day. Now, I found myself in just such a situation. Yes, I could move, could walk about, could swing my arms and legs freely any time I chose... and yet my actions were not my own. My body moved, my face smiled, my mouth spoke, all independent of my wishes, obeying the whims of a lovely but sadistic Mistress, whose greatest pleasure it seemed was to make me suffer.

I lay down on the floor at the foot of her bed, tossing and turning, trying to get comfortable, as she slept soundly in the bed just a few feet away. After warming her up by kissing and licking my way up her body, she’d proceeded to release her sexual tensions by riding me like a stallion, bouncing up and down on my cock like a pogo stick, until she’d completely run out of steam. By my count, she’d come about eleven times before succumbing... which, of course, was eleven more times than I’d cum since first waking up in this torture chamber! Even now, I was still rock hard, throbbing with need, and completely helpless to do anything about it.

I briefly considered crawling up into bed and cuddling up next to her, swallowing my pride, and begging for mercy. Considered, and dismissed it out of hand. I was suffering, which was precisely what she wanted of me, and no amount of begging or pleading would convince her to show leniency. Sure, it would amuse her greatly to have me beg and plead, to watch me degrade myself in the narrow fragile hope of compassion... which, sad to say, the programmed part of me was quite eager to initiate. The rest of me, however, the small part of myself that was still in control, held back, knowing that in the end I would only be hurting myself more.

Closing my eyes, I let my mind drift, trying not to think about anything in particular... certainly not about my situation. I wondered how my family was doing. Mom. Dad. Katie. All of them were in trouble, the last I’d heard. Dad had nearly died, impaled through the heart, rushed to the trauma center in Midas City. For all I knew, he might have died from complications. He might be dead... and I would never know. I mean, if he were still alive, if he’d pulled through... he had a satellite tracking system capable of pinpointing any Super in the world by their DNA signature. If he were able, he would have sent someone after me by now, right?

And Mom... when I’d talked to Aunt Eva before leaving, she’d said Mom had lost her powers trying to save Dad. That she’s literally burned them out holding him together enough for the doctors to repair his heart. They hadn’t spoken long, and Eva had been somewhat dodgy about just how bad things were, but between losing her powers, and worrying about Dad and Katie, and me, she couldn’t have been handling things very well.

As for Katie... I was pretty damn far from River City right now, wherever I’d been taken, but I’d still felt her anguish. Maybe part of the reason I was feeling so hopeless right now was that SHE was feeling the same. I wished I could be there for her... had been heading back home to be with her when I’d gotten blindsided. Devon said she saw Jessica die... and that she’d been killed right in front of Katie.

I could relate to that only too well, however; back when I was on the run from the law, taking refuge in Midas City, I’d been standing less than a foot away from Aurora when she’d been shot by an overzealous cop wanting to end my life. The blast had nearly killed her. Hell, it HAD, technically, killed her, snuffed out her life even with her golden metal, but I had refused to accept it, refused to let my cousin’s life end that way. I’d done for her basically what mom had done for dad, using my life force and my powers to heal ’Rora, and bring her back from the brink, nearly killing myself in the process.

For all the good it was now, I thought grimly, remembering the news about her death at the hands of some crazy redheaded Nesatealia bitch. I’m glad Sarah and Sylvia are safe... but it must be hard on them having lost ’Rora that way. Talk about bittersweet victory. It really truly sucked. It was as if my black cloud of bad luck had spread to my entire family. Not only was I suffering, but all the people I cared for the most were hurting right along with me. Still, despite it all, even despite my own troubles, right now, my sister concerned me the most.

«Okay, Katie,» I thought, closing my eyes, «I don’t know if you can hear me or, feel me, or whatever... but just hang in there, okay? I don’t know if—no. I don’t know when I’ll be able to get out of this mess and get to you, but I swear I will. I’m not giving up. So don’t YOU give up either, all right? Okay?» I was really worried. I’d been able to connect to her a few times in our dreams, had been able to reassure her in a small way when she really needed it... but recently I couldn’t feel her at all. I mean, I could sense her, could feel her presence, that she was still there and alive... I just couldn’t reach her, like there was some kind of wall or something between us. That, more than anything else, worried me. I felt really anxious about it, as if maybe... maybe she was actually... but no. No way. Not Katie. She wouldn’t have actually killed herself out of grief, right? I mean... she was stronger than that.

Maybe I was psyching myself out, getting myself worked up over problems that I had no control over. Somewhere, though, in the midst of my musings I’d finally fallen asleep, but instead of connecting to her, or having nightmares about my own misfortunes, my dreams were haunted by images of my loved ones, dying, one by one, right in front of me, while I stood, chained and helpless, unable to save them...

* * *

“Ah, welcome, welcome!” Eugene Frasier greeted, bowing slightly at the waist as much as his wheelchair would allow. A simple gesture, and the motorized conveyance slid backwards, allowing his guests to enter the house. “Nigel, good to see ye again. Patricia, Angela, you’re both looking beautiful tonight.” He smiled slightly at the young Asian girl. “Lovely Constance, a pleasure to see you again as well.” She grinned back tightly. “And...” he frowned, glancing out before closing the door. “Your wee heroines, yer Angels, and yer chauffeur... Darryl, was it? They were unable to attend?”

“Yes, actually,” Nigel replied with a grin. “Sioban and your daughter insisted on giving Tawnya a bit of a send off before she leaves in the morning for Texas. As for Darryl, it was his day off, and it seems he had a date... with another, um, friend of yours, I believe? Karen Summers?’

Eugene nodded simply. “Ah. Well good for them. And Lacie spoke to Delores earlier today, and knew she was still feeling under the weather and recuperating out of town with an old friend. A wee bit of balance that, as we’ve had a friend of Jimmy’s visiting from out of town join us as well.”

Plus, Katie is still too upset or possibly ashamed to deal with seeing her Mom face to face after their last ‘meeting’. Ach well... as long as she’s doing well enough, I can give her her space. Eugene shrugged. “So, it appears our party is set then. And perfect timing. Dinner will be ready in just a few minutes. Please, follow me into the foyer, and let’s have a drink or two while Lacie Ann finishes up.“

Nigel Grimalde grimaced visibly as he and his ladies followed their host back into his surprisingly large home. “So, your wife actually made dinner, eh?” he asked ruefully. Gene had mentioned weeks before in the hospital that this dinner was both a social visit and a “punishment”, for Patricia’s attempt to sabotage Eugene’s bid to take down his brother. A misunderstanding, and partly his fault for not taking the time to explain the situation to her properly. Patty—fearing that her Master was being strong-armed and extorted by Frasier—had taken matters into her own hands, warning Gene’s brother Duncan of his brother’s imminent arrival and the ‘secret weapon’ he’d received from Nigel. Gene had managed to best his brother in the end, regardless, but the added complication had nearly cost them all their lives. And as a result, Eugene was left paralyzed from the waist down.

“Nae, she’s only supervising,” Gene replied with a chuckle. “I had a change of heart. I wouldnae wish to subject my new friends to the full scope of my Lacie girl’s ‘culinary arts’ just yet, so I convinced an old friend to cook for us tonight. I did ask her to make dessert, however,” he warned, grinning evilly, mixing and handing Nigel a neat scotch, “and I expect ye each to have a helping!“

“Lovely,” Nigel quipped, draining the glass. “Well, I did take the precaution of having Constance update my life insurance, so no worries there.”

Patricia nodded, chuckling softly, glancing around idly at the house. “Nice place you have here, Eugene. Very nice and tasteful. And... is it me, or is that skylight above us a recent addition?”

Gene sighed softly. “Thank you, lass. As ye once said, it’s more than beyond time you and Angie were both invited over. And, aye, ye’ve a keen eye, lass. My contractors worked round the clock to repair the damage caused by wee Katherine’s little ‘temper tantrum’ last week, but when all was said and done, I decided I like the view, and instructed them to keep it.” He paused, considering. “Incidentally, I have to thank you all for the way you and yer ‘wee angels’ have been looking after the lass. She’s had a rough time of it lately... and while I cannae excuse her behavior of late, I must apologize to you for any slights she may have caused—”

“No need to apologize,” Nigel said smoothly, with an easy grin. “I have children of my own, after all. And it was no trouble. Tawnya and Sioban both adore her. If anything, I should be thanking her! She’s been a wonderful influence. A little, um... collateral damage is a small price to pay.” He paused as the kitchen door opened, and Eva Snow, dressed in her trademark white attire complete with sparkling white apron, appeared.

“Ladies and gentlemen, dinner is served,” she replied with a slight bow. “Lorenzo pulled out all the stops, so I hope everyone has a very big appetite.”

“Wait! Lorenzo?” Angela asked, blinking in surprise. “As in ‘THE’ Lorenzo, from the five start restaurant downtown? The place you have to call in for reservations weeks in advance?” She turned to gape at Eugene. “How in the world did you manage to get HIM to cater this little get together?”

“Ah, yes, um,” Gene replied, slightly flustered. “Ach, well... ’tis a long story. Suffice it to say, when he was first starting out, we hired him on to work as our own personal chef. After a while, we noticed how exceptional he was—the man, he’s a bloody genius with food, I kid ye not—and I insisted that he go on to culinary school and get licensed. Lacie and I paid for it, and as a graduation gift, gave him the building downtown where he set up shop.” He shrugged slightly. “We did so not expecting any kind of recompense, mind... but when the lad insisted on some kind of repayment, I just asked that he always hold a table for Lacie and I, and maybe to look favorably on an occasional request for his talents now and again.” He sighed softly. “But I didnae even ask him to come out today! When he found out I was finally home from the hospital—and that Lacie was going to make dinner—he insisted that he be allowed to cook.” He chuckled. “Aye... a good man, he is.”

“So I’ve heard,” Patty replied, frowning slightly. She’d heard a bit about Sioban and Tawnya’s aborted ‘dinner date’ with Katie Frasier a few weeks ago, and the reasons why. Things had since gotten better, and the hot blooded Italian had even apologized to both young women for his comments, but his reaction still chafed her a bit. All because of Parker Albinn spewing his usual venom, she thought with disdain.

As they approached the dining room, Eugene pulled Nigel aside for a quick word. “After dinner,” he said in a low soft voice, “I’d like you to repeat the story you mention earlier, about the Tears of the Valkyrie, to everyone else in house.”

“If you want, I’d be glad, but... If I may, let me suggest that Angela tell the story instead. Back before we met, before Delores even retired, Angela did a thorough examination of her Valkyrie tear memories and wrote a multi-volume history. She half-jokingly calls it ‘The Rise and Fall of the Bird Women’. She never published it, of course, or even printed it out that I know of. It’s not exactly a part of the past that the Tearbearers want public. But in any case, here amongst friends, I’m sure she’d be happy to give a command performance.”

“The lass never fails to surprise! Angela it will be then. But... afterwards, I have a wee bit more to add to the story myself. But no matter what is revealed, or what happens, I’d ask ye to stay calm, and to keep yer lassies from overreacting.”

Nigel frowned slightly. “Hmm? What do you mean? Just what is it that you plan to reveal?”

“Ach, never mind, for now,” Gene replied dismissively, wheeling on ahead. “Trust me. It can keep ’til later.”

Entering the dining room, the visitors were treated to the sight of an immense spread of food, set out buffet style covering a huge table capable of seating twenty people. As they entered, four more women entered through a second door. “...telling you, that basement is simply amazing,” a young svelte blonde with an old style Jean Harlow haircut and silvery metallic skin was gushing enthusiastically. “I’d almost want to pay Mr. Frasier to allow me to work down there! I—” she broke off, abruptly, noticing the other diners. “Oh... um... never mind,” she murmured slightly, glancing down in embarrassment. Eugene merely chuckled.

“Nigel, allow me to introduce Miss Roberta Bayport, a heroine and former employee of mine at my company before it was seized by the government.” He winced slightly at the memory, but continued on. “She’s graciously volunteered to help me in the reconstruction of my satellite tracking equipment, to aid in trying to nail down Jimmy’s exact location. At her side is another dear friend, Miss Megan Tanner, a computer programmer-slash-hacker of considerable repute. She’s also agreed to aid in rebuilding the console’s software design. To her right is Miss Julie Simmons, a member of the hero team the Beautiful Gems.” The tall dark skinned girl waved shyly.

“Nigel, The latter two young lassies are close friends of my poor Jimmy. I believe they would like to have a word with you sometime this evening. Of course, you already know my wife Lacie, and our dear friend, Eva Snow,” he added, wheeling to a spot on the table between them.

Interesting, Nigel thought to himself, noting Eugene’s choice of seating.

“Lorenzo really went all out, it appears,” said Eugene, “We were expecting a few more diners, but no matter... I suppose we’ll just have to take up their slack and rise to the occasion. I hope ye all brought yer appetites.”

“I see the Albinns declined to join us?” Nigel asked aloud, staring pointedly at the two empty seats at the lower end of the table.

“No great loss,” Patty mumbled, only to fall silent at a glare from her husband. “Just saying...” she added softly.

“Yes, Nigel, I’m afraid so,” Eva replied wearily, ignoring Patty’s jibe. “I was in contact with my nephew momentarily an hour or so ago. He made some quick excuse about a break-in or something and rushed off to check it out.” She rolled her eyes. “Anything to avoid sitting down and having a nice quiet meal with you like a civilized person. I swear, for a grown man in his forties, he can be so childish sometimes...” She sighed, taking Eugene offered hand, squeezing it gently.

Nigel again noticed, and smirked.

“He’s just being stubborn. Give him some time, Nigel. He’ll come around.”

“Stubborn? He’s being a bloody horse’s ass,” Gene mumbled loudly, only to get hissed at by Lacie. “Ahem... pardon me. At any rate, folks, please, dig in! Just remember to save room for dessert!”

* * *

“Remind me again why I let you talk me into this?” Shinobi grunted, lashing out with her katana, cutting through a cable holding a heavy crate above them, bringing it down just in time to shield them from a hail of gunfire. “Seriously, Echo. I could be sitting at a nice dinner right now, enjoying Lorenzo’s veal scaloppini and maybe that simply divine raspberry & white chocolate mousse for dessert. Instead, we’re here in this dank, dusty warehouse, eating dust and cobwebs, hiding behind a crate while a group of thirty armed men prepare to close in and kill us.“

“Better than eating a bullet,” Echo quipped, ducking as a stray blast splintered the wood beside his head. “And anyway, I TOLD you to go. You’re the one that insisted on coming along with me, remember? ‘Do you honestly think I could spend ten minutes alone in her presence without trying to decapitate her?’” he asked, mimicking her voice with his sonic powers.

“For the millionth time, don’t do that,” Roni growled. “I hate it when you talk with my voice like that!”

“Yeah, yeah,” he continued, heedless. “So, anyway, babe, you’re here of your own choice. It’s not my fault that you’re stuck in this mess with me.”

“No, sweetie, it’s your fault for not taking a few seconds to scout out the area, or use your sonar pulse to see just how many thugs were in here before we stormed in, Mister Tactics Expert,” she growled, holding out her katana, using its mirror sheen to glance around the side of the crate. “You were so anxious to start pounding away at some hapless crook you didn’t stop to consider the caliber of thief that would be so bold and brazen as to try to steal from Frasier Industries in the first place... or how many minions he might have employed!” She gestured with her fingers, signaling a pair of thugs trying to flank them from the sides.

“Well, I didn’t hear YOU advising caution when we pulled up to the main door,” Parker countered, tossing a pair of smoke grenades on both sides of them, putting up a smokescreen surrounding them. Removing his bo staff from his costume, he extended it fully, preparing to strike. “You were all like ‘Should I use my sword on these guys, or just pummel them with my fists?’” At the sound of coughing, he and Shinobi struck simultaneously, taking down the approaching gunmen, using the cover of smoke to take a new defensive position further back behind a second crate. “Plus,” he continued, non-plussed, “you’re the psychic! Shouldn’t you have sensed something and warned me before we BOTH burst in here?“

Roni opened her mouth to protest, but merely sighed. He had a point. “Okay. So maybe we were BOTH a little bit lax,” she conceded. “What do you propose we do about the situation? We’re outnumbered, and this place is too crowded and junky to make effective use of your speed, not against guns anyway, or of my fighting skills. So... any ideas?”

“Strategy?” Parker mused. “I suppose I have one idea. You... just won’t like it.”

A new round of gunfire sounded, causing them both to duck down once more. “I think I’d like getting perforated a whole like less. What’s your idea?”

“My hypersonic whistle.”

Shinobi groaned softly. “You’re right. I won’t like it. That damn whistle always gives me a migraine that lasts for days.” Slipping a pair of special ear plugs out of her belt pack, she quickly put them in. “Okay,” she said, resigned, “do it.”

Taking a deep breath, pursing his lips, Echo let loose, sending out a shrill piercing tone that rang throughout the entire building. Getting louder, and higher pitched, the burglars out let out cries of pain, dropping their weapons to cover their ears, some of them dropping to their knees. Taking advantage, Shinobi made her move, taking out the nearest couple of thugs with no resistance, knocking them all unconscious, before moving on to the next pair. By the time his breath had run out, his wife had taken out all of the would-be robbers.

“Whew. Nice. Good job, honey,” he said with a grin. “Looks like you got ’em. Nothing left to do now but tie ’em up and wait for the police.”

“Yeah, yeah,” she grumbled, making her way back to him. “After all, I did most of the dirty work...” She paused, freezing in place, just as Parker stiffened as well. “Parker—”

“Yes, babe, I hear it. Smell it, too,” he murmured, glancing around. “Someone cut a gas line. Better grab on. We’re gonna have to move fast.”

“But... but what about these crooks?” she said, gesturing helplessly at the thirty some gunmen lying about the place, unconscious. “Criminal scum or not, we can’t just leave them here. If this place goes up in flames... and don’t forget all of the equipment stored here! We have to stop this place from exploding!”

“First things first,” Echo grunted, taking hold of her. Zipping back through the warehouse at top speed, he deposited her gently outside the warehouse door, then back inside, scooping up a downed henchman, dumping them outside, and sprinting back inside again. Shinobi, still a bit dazed from her own quick exit, watched in awe as her husband zipped in and out of the building, tossing a masked criminal at her feet every few seconds. She watched, her own sense of dread mounting as the seconds ticked by, and the smell of gas grew deeper and thicker by the moment.

C’mon, Parker, move your ass! she thought furiously, knowing that a single spark was all it would take to turn the building into a blazing inferno. A sound at her right caught her notice, as one of the thugs, coming awake, pulling something from his pocket, pointing it back towards the building. “NOOO!” Shinobi yelled, tossing a kunai, striking the gunman’s hand, knocking the device free. A red light was already flashing, however, and as the remote hit the ground a loud explosion sounded from inside the building.

“Yeesss!” the crook cheered maliciously. “So much for your partner! Too bad, so sad... but it looks like he’s toast!” He laughed in victory. “It’s a shame to lose all that swag, but the boss was very specific: if the shit being held in this warehouse couldn’t belong to him, it wouldn’t belong to anybody!”

Stunned, pain and disbelief gave way to rage at the unthinking minion’s words. Growling, Shinobi, grabbed the guy by the scruff of the collar, lifting him off the ground. “You’re going to wish you’d gone up in flames with all that equipment by the time I’m done with you,” she threatened, drawing another kunai with her free hand.

The sound of loud coughing coming from the doorway, however, caused her to gasp in surprise, as her husband emerged from the building. “E-echo!” she yelled, dropping the crook to the ground as she rushed over to him. “You’re all right! But how? I heard the explosion...”

“Yeah, and I felt it,” he grumbled, coughing again. “Rotten bastards had some kind of remote controlled detonator set up next to the gas line. Luckily, I found and closed the valve to the gas line, and used a little speed running to create a vacuum and funnel all the gas out of the room and push it outside the back entrance.” He pulled her into a soft kiss. “The bomb going off did some minor damage, dented a few of the crates, but overall, nothing substantial was destroyed.”

“P... E-echo,” she murmured, clutching him tightly. “I... when it exploded... All that crap I said before... I thought...”

“I know, Shinobi,” he murmured back, squeezing her gently. “I know. But it’s okay. I’m fine. We’re both okay.” Releasing her, he glanced down at the criminals sprawled on the ground around them. “I can’t really say the same for these guys, though. I imagine their boss is gonna be really pissed that they failed. And, unless my hearing is suddenly impaired, I believe engines from the nearest fire station are approaching fast, with the police not far behind them. So... wanna stay and greet them, or just head out and leave them to do the cleanup?”

Walking back to the cowering crook, glaring up at her, Shinobi delivered a clean kick to the side of the head, sending him back to dreamland, then looked back at her husband with half-lidded eyes.

Heh, thought Parker, She’s always like this after a tough scrape. God, how I love this woman!

“No,” she said, mind already elsewhere, “I think we’re good here. The police can clean up the trash. Let’s be on our way. The night’s still young,” she said with a sultry smile, walking her fingers up her husband’s chest, “and so... are... we...”

* * *

“Oh, come now,” Lacie said with a frown, amidst the round smattering of chuckles and giggles, as the diners departed for the living room. “It wasn’t THAT bad! You guys are exaggerating! I know my cooking is something of a joke to everyone... but this is starting to get hurtful! It wasn’t that bad!“

“Lacie, love,” Eugene said with a chuckle, pulling her into a warm embrace, “you are my heart. And aye, we are poking fun at ye just a wee mite.” He kissed her again to take the sting from his words. “But dearheart... even you have to admit, those brownies were NOT yer best attempt! Poor Roberta nearly busted a gut... and her parts are cybernetic!’

“Um, actually, my insides are still fully organic,” Robotica piped up, taking another deep drink of soda to try and cleanse her palate. “And I’m sorry Mrs. Frasier... but right now, I really wish they weren’t...” Lacie merely rolled her eyes as another round of laughter sounded.

“I don’ understan’ it myself, either,” Lorenzo said, shaking his head. “I was a-right there with her da whole time. She didn’ do nothing wrong. And still...” he shrugged, glancing heavenward, “Dey say da cooking, she is an art, not a science. Miz Frasier, I love you like my own mamá, bless her heart... but you, you are no artist.” More laughter.

“Alright, then,” Nigel said after a moment, claiming everyone’s attention. “Now that we’ve all dined... and paid the debts for our past misdeeds,” he said lightly, bowing slightly to his hostess who merely sighed, rolling her eyes, “there is a matter of some importance that we have been asked to speak on. Some of you may know this already, but to most I believe this will be new. So without further ado, let me turn the floor over to my lovely and talented senior executive, lover, and part-time historian, Angela Prentiss!”

To a smattering of applause, Angela took the floor. “I know that some of you have heard the other name that we Angels have been called...”

“Flying Dykes?” interjected Julie, covering her mouth and blanching at the nervous laughter that broke out around her. Patricia growled softly. Angela blushed.

“No,” whispered Lacie in the silence that followed, “Tearbearers.”

“Exactly!” said Angela, recovering her aplomb, “We are so named because we each carry one of two magical gemstones that give us our powers. The Tears of the Valkyrie”.

Without further preamble, she retold the story of the Brahmin maiden Mohini, who became the Valkyrie Brunhilda, scion of fate and servant to the Norn Goddess Skuld. Everyone listened intently to the tale, Patricia and Nigel nodding occasionally as she spoke.

Lacie gasped aloud several times throughout the story, clutching tightly to her husband’s hand, though the plight of the demigoddesses serving at the whim of the “capricious and cruel” Nornir clearly struck a chord with everyone in the room. At the end, when Brunhilda sacrificed herself—leaving behind only a stone monument and the magical Tears—everyone was moved, stunned by the revelation and the knowledge that the two women among them, like all Tearbearers, shared in a legacy measured in millennia.

As Angela fell silent, Eugene sighed deeply, sliding his chair forward to take center stage. “Aye. ’Twas this that Nigel revealed to me a few weeks ago during my convalesce, an answer to an offhand question I’d asked. And I’ve not shared this news with anyone else, not even my wife... until now,” he said pointedly, facing his wife, who stood tight lipped and pale beside her friend, clutching Eva’s hand just as tightly as she’d held his earlier. “I asked the Grimaldes to repeat it again in present company, among close and trusted friends... but also to impart one last and vital piece of the story.” He glanced at Nigel, then at Patricia, and Angela, then back to Nigel once more.

“When you first told me that story, Nigel, you were surprised at how quickly a ‘hard-headed engineer’ like me accepted such an incredible tale as truth.” He paused, sighing. “There was good reason for it. I myself have firsthand knowledge of the mythical Norn goddesses. Aye, and well I should... seeing as I’m married to one.”

What?” Almost in unison, Angela and Patty took a step back in stunned surprise, their attention turning from Eugene to Lacie, staring at her in complete and utter shock. The rest of the crowd began to speak as well, clearly caught off guard by this revelation, but Eugene quickly reestablished control of the conversation.

“Aye, aye, it’s true enough,” he continued, gesturing her forward to his side. “My wife, my dearheart love, the woman that nearly poisoned us all—owww!” he winced slightly as Lacie pinched his arm. “Ahem... what I mean to say is that, aye, she is one of the Nornir, the guardians of time and fate and destiny. Aye... and she is the only reason why I’m not dead and buried right now. She went against fate, and against her sister goddesses, and used her power over time to hold me in the moment before death could claim me until the physicians could repair the damage.” He glanced up at Lacie’s face, lifting her hand to his lips, kissing it. “She broke a tenant of the gods for me, and so her power was taken from her. But powers or no, you’ll always be a goddess to me, love.”

Lacie smiled softly, wiping a tear from her cheek. “And I would do it again, gladly,” she murmured softly, closing her eyes for a moment. Opening them again, she looked at her two wide-eyed friends across the room, wondering what they were feeling at this moment. Fear? Anger? Shock? Well, I’m a bit shocked myself. Amazed that Brunhilda had tricked the Gods themselves, and bequeathed a bit of her magic to mortals.

“Angie... Patty... all this time... I mean, I didn’t HIDE it or anything, I just... it never came up in conversation, and I never put two and two together. Tearbearers... Brunhilda’s Tears...” She sighed heavily. “I’m sorry. Eugene is speaking the truth. I am Lacie Ann Frasier nee Gilbertson,” she said formally, “daughter of Amelia Gilbertson—”

“—of the line of Verdandi,” a soft and familiar voice cut in, speaking from somewhere above them all. A bright yellow-white flash lit the room momentarily, and the room fell silent. When the glare faded, a young, thin elfin-like girl with long white hair stood in the middle of the room. She smirked, her clear ice blue eyes twinkling, and her mouth twitched, as if she were restraining the urge to smile. “Well met, Sister,” she said, bowing her head slightly. “I see you are as well as your thread portends.”

“I... Isabella?” Lacie said, surprised by the sudden appearance. “Wh... what are you doing here?” Walking over, she hugged the younger girl warmly, kissing each other briefly before parting. “It’s good to see you too! But... why are you here?”

The amused smile left her lips. “I would think you would know why, Sister,” she replied, clear disapproval in her tone. She glanced around the room, at the patrons, before locking and narrowing her gaze to Eugene. “You are a very shrewd man, Eugene Frasier. Shrewd, and dangerous. I assume you anticipated my arrival here to this gathering?”

Eugene swallowed slightly. “Not you, per se,” he said, nodding his head slightly in respect, “but aye, I thought it likely one of ye might make your presence felt.”

Nigel, swallowed deeply as well, forcing himself to stay composed, for his girls. But Angela and Patricia did no such thing. Pulling him back into the couch they shared they began whispering to him feverishly.

“You’ve got to get us out of here, Nigel!” Angela hissed frantically.

“No,” answered Nigel, “the man asked us to keep our heads and that’s just what we’re gonna do—”

“But Nigel,” whispered Patricia from the other side, “You don’t understand! She’s a damned goddess of life and death! Our money... our power... our fucking lives... they don’t mean a thing to her!”

“What if she takes the Tears?” chimed Angela.

“Fuck the Tears,” said Patricia, whipsawing Nigel back the other way, “What if she takes the Tearbearers themselves?!?“

“Oh shit! She could press-gang them back into slavery.”

“And not just Bonnie and T, all of us!”

“She could turn us all back into fucking Valkyries!”

“No! Not that! Never again! I’ll kill myself fir—”

“Stop!” shouted Nigel.

The whole room, not just Angela and Patricia, fell silent.

“I’m looking at a man in a wheelchair—” Eugene nodded back, “—who just brought the literal ‘Wrath of the Gods’ down on himself. If he can stay calm, cool, and collected right now, I think we owe it to him to try and do the same. Let’s not do anything drastic.”

“Thank you, Nigel,” Eugene replied, “Although I’m not sure that we have much choice in the matter of doing anything at all. For example, I can’t help but notice,” Gene pointed out, “that of the twelve of us here, only five of us seem to even be aware of what’s going on.” He gestured to Connie, Eva, Megan, Julie, Lorenzo and Roberta, all of whom seemed to be frozen in mid-motion, as if time had stopped just for them.

Turning to the goddess, he said, “Apparently, lass, ye’ve come to deliver an object lesson of sorts, and it’s only for those of us directly involved?”

Isabelle nodded serenely, the smirk returning. “I am starting to see why you love this one, Sister. He does have a keen mind.” She sighed softly, glancing over at Nigel and his girls. “As does the other. I shudder to think what this world would be like if there were more such men as these.”

She sighed again. “Still... intriguing or not, you have placed me in a rather uncomfortable position. The knowledge of our existence MUST NOT become public knowledge.” She frowned slightly. “It would have been best if no mortal was aware of us, or that their lives were being subtly guided by hands not of their own choosing. I can understand my Sister’s husband and Master knowing the truth, as well as your children, as they too share our bloodline. And, as those touched by our servant Brunhilda’s legacy, it is acceptable that you also share in that knowledge. But everyone else... no. This knowledge does not need to spread any further.“

“And what will you do, ’Bella?” Lacie asked, frowning. “What about the others that already know about us? Ethyria visited Sarah back in Midas City, and Grandmother appeared to me and my niece just last week. And what of Constance and Eva? They’re psychic. Even if they didn’t already know about this before, they will learn the truth easily enough once time resumes its normal course.“

Isabelle sighed heavily, rubbing the bridge of her nose. “Goddess Bless... you do not make things easy, do you, Sister Lacie?” she grumbled, sounding for the moment very much like a normal teenager and very little like an all-powerful goddess. “Alright. This is how it shall be. Everyone who already has knowledge of the Nornir shall keep it. However,” she said, eyes flashing with power, ”you shall henceforth be unable to reveal the secret to anyone else who is not a part of your inner circle of friends, no one who is not already vested in our knowledge, bloodline, or legacy.” She smirked wickedly as the light faded from her eyes. “And that means you as well, Sister. Not that I’m saying you would broadcast our presence to the world out of mere spite or anything...”

“You know I wouldn’t do that, ’Bella,” Lacie said softly, sadly. “Despite everything, even knowing what you and the others did, I don’t fault you. You did what you did to preserve the Great Weave. I understand that.” She turned to glare at the physically younger girl. “But you have to understand why I did what I did. Yes, I choose my husband’s life over the some ancient taboo meant to safeguard the integrity of the Weave... but preventing his death did not cause the end of the world! Sometimes there is more to keeping the Weave intact that just eliminating people! Sometimes it’s about saving lives instead of ending them!“

“Our duty is to maintain the Great Weave,” Isabella countered, scowling back. “Above all other concerns—”

“Yes, above all other concerns, ’Bella,” Lacie repeated, “not in exclusion of.” She turned to stare at Nigel’s women even as she spoke to Isabella. “Everyone thinks me soft for working outside of Home, for being out among the ‘common people’. But maybe that’s the problem. Maybe you’ve all spent so much time apart from regular people that you’ve forgotten what it’s like to actually BE a person! Do you need to go through the same pain that Skuld did before you learn that lesson too, ’Bella?“

The younger woman’s eyes widened, then closed in resignation. “A low blow, Sister... but you made your point.” Advancing a few steps to Patricia, she stopped and dropped to one knee. “On behalf of my Sisters, I would like to formally apologize for the pain that you both carry, for the injury due to our stubborn pride and insensitivity. And further, we apologize that the reckoning has been so long in the making. Until almost this very moment we had no idea that any of the memories or the magic of the Valkyries had survived their tragic demise.”

She smiled sadly. “There you have it: Proof positive that even a goddess can make a mistake. All the pain and hurt that could have been avoided if we’d just shared the reason why...” she shook her head. “Never mind. This isn’t the time nor the place for that discussion. I would ask, however, if, as Brunhilda’s ‘daughters’, if you could care to visit her shrine?”

Angela blinked, the remark she’d been about to make set aside for the moment. “Shrine? What shrine?”

“At Home, in the shade of Yggdrasil,” Lacie said softly, coming up next to Isabella. “Skuld truly lamented what happened to her Valkyries. It was... before my time, obviously,” she said with a sad smile, “but it’s said that so great was her grief that she choose to surrender her power and her life force as well, just as her ‘children’ had. She, Verdandi, and Urdr erected a shrine to the twelve who had served them, in a small clearing overlooking the Well. Afterwards, they entrusted the duty of protecting the Great Weave to their eldest daughters... and merged with Yggdrasil, joining their life force with that of the World Tree.”

“Wait... hold on a second,” Nigel interjected. “Now, you’ve lost me. You’re saying that the three original goddesses—Skuld, Urdr, and Verdandi—died? Simply willed away their life force, and joined with a giant tree? I thought they were supposed to be immortal?”

“They are,” Isabella replied, frowning slightly, somewhat put out at having to explain herself to a ‘mere mortal’. “To join with the World Tree, they sent their essences into the void, becoming part of the Great Weave and the Eternal Clock. Once in a generation, they are reborn again as a daughter of one of their original bloodlines. Sister Lacie is this generation’s Verdani,” she said, nodding her head slightly. “And Grandma Vurda is this generation’s Urdr. Unfortunately, Skuld’s avatar has yet to arise in this generation, and with things as they are now...” She shook her head. “But that is another matter. Our invitation stands. I can take you now, if you like. The others would love to meet you in person, and we can even bring along your friends Delores, Ellen, Sioban and Tawnya as well, if you like.”

Patricia and Angela glanced at Nigel. “Well... what do you think?” Patty asked. Despite the bad memories associated with Brunhilda’s former Mistresses, she had to admit to being curious. Likewise, Angela found herself intrigued by the idea. True, they had memories of Home, of the giant Tree whose roots were said to hold the entire world beneath them... but without the Tears working their magic, immediacy of the memories had faded. Now it was mere second hand knowledge, like watching a documentary as opposed to living it one’s self. Nigel, who could easily read the excitement in his lovers’ eyes, had to admit to a burning curiosity himself, to travel beyond the boundaries of this world to a place no mortal man has ever travelled.

“I say we do it,” he said after a moment. “I for one would love to see this shrine—”

“You cannot,” Isabelle cut in sharply, drawing gazes from the others assembled. “I’m sorry, Nigel Grimalde. It is quite impossible. No man can enter Yggdrasil. There is a mystical veil that separates our world from yours. Only those of the bloodline can pass, and of those, only females can enter.“

Eugene groaned softly. “Ach, well, that figures,” he grumbled. “Shoulda ken it would be something lik’ that.” He sighed. “Well, Nigel, I dinnae ken about ye... but I say, let ’em go. If nothing else, we could go and accompany the lassies all the way to Norway—it’ll be a nice little vacation from business and hospitals, and we’ll be there to hear all about it first hand when they’re done.”

Nigel nodded, considering. “I agree... a little vacation out of the country sounds like a good idea right about now, all things considering. And even if I can’t cross over myself, I’d like my girls to get the chance to visit their, ah, ‘homeland’ as it were.” He sighed. “Still... I think we need a little more time to prepare. We have a few matters at hand right now that need dealing with before we can even begin considering this.”

“Very well,” Isabelle replied with a nod. “The offer stands. When you are ready, merely call out to me, and I shall appear.” Turning to Lacie, sighed softly, her fingertips twitching with the need to go to her, and caress her once again. Instead, she merely nodded. “It was good to see you again, Sister,” she said formally before vanishing once more in a flash of light.

“—very interesting story,” Lorenzo said aloud suddenly, “but I’m afraid I don’t follow. What do stories about ancient Norse gods and goddesses have to do with anything?” Robbie and Julie nodded, both confused, but interested.

The others glanced at one another briefly, wondering how to respond. “Ach, well, ’tis mostly a bit of... after dinner conversation, mostly,” Eugene replied briskly after a moment. “I’ve, ah, had a bit of an interest in Norse mythology, especially after that recent movie ‘Thor: the Dark World’...”

“Oh! Yeah, I really liked that one, particularly the actor portraying Thor,” Robbie enthused, as she and the others began talking amongst themselves. “Chris Something-or-the-other... he really gets my circuits racing...” With that, the conversation moved on to more mundane topics, and slowly but surely the tension of the past few minutes faded.

“By the by,” Gene said to Nigel privately during a lull in the conversation, “the wee lassies there, Megan and Julie... hearing about our plight to find my son, they both volunteered to accompany yer wee Tawnya on her flight out as well. They’re both heroines, and their particular skill sets might come in handy. If ye can delay the flight for another half hour, they can both be ready to leave with her. And frankly lad, we can use all the help we can get.”

Nigel sighed inwardly and shrugged. “Well sure, why not? The more the merrier. I’ve already adjusted my timetable three times now... what’s one more time in the grand scheme of things? Of course, Chris, my pilot, might not feel that way. He’ll probably have to file a new flight plan and he’ll grumble about that and half a dozen other things. But I’m sure he can handle it.”

“Good lad,” Gene replied with a chuckle. “I ken ye were a reasonable man. Oh, and one other thing. I was thinking about something you mentioned the other day. Eva and I were talking about that incident with that assassin, Sureshot—”

“You and Evangeline talk a lot these days, don’t you?” Nigel asked, eyebrow arched innocently.

“Eh? Ah, um, yes, actually,” Eugene said slowly, frowning. Nigel’s smirk was decidedly unnerving. He couldnae know about Eva and myself already, could he? No... I’m sure neither Eva nor Lacie would have mentioned it to his girls. And there’s no way Constance read it from my mind... Aloud, he continued, “At any rate, we talked a bit about yer wee Constance, and her getting shot, and how close ye yerself came to eating a bullet. And we were thinking... perhaps ye might consider having someone to teach her a bit more about her powers.“

“Oh? Another psychic, I presume?” Nigel asked, frowning slightly. “As in you, Evangeline?” He shook his head. “I doubt Constance would go for it. She is content enough to use her talents for my benefit, and those of our family, but I doubt she has any interest in developing her powers and learning to use them as a weapon.”

“Not as a weapon,” Eva replied. “Just to be able to better defend herself. Sureshot hit her in the shoulder. The guy’s an expert trick shot artist and sharpshooter. He could just as easily gone for a headshot.” She sighed, letting that sink in for a moment. “If she’d been better prepared, she could have defended herself... dodged his attack, or even taken control of his mind and made his drop his gun. I’m just saying that with a bit more training, and practice, she could be better prepared in case something like this ever happens again.”

“And... you could teach me how?”

Glancing behind them, they turned to find Constance staring at them, a look of determination and resolve on her face. “I don’t plan on running across rooftops at night in bright colored spandex or anything,” she said after a moment, “but I guess it would be nice to know how to do that... stop anyone from attacking us, or catching us off guard that way again. Nigel, Sir, I have every faith in you and our security being able to keep us safe against normal threats... but until we catch Serpentina, I think I’d rest easier knowing I was better able to protect you, and Patricia and Angela, and the children. I’m good at hand to hand combat, and small arms... but in a crisis, I need to know I can use my ‘other skills’ to the best of my ability.”

Nigel nodded simply, smiling, caressing the girl’s face. He, better than anyone, knew her fears, of having her mind corrupted and taken, of being turned into a weapon against the ones who loved and held most dear. As long as she was untrained, her powers weak and undeveloped, she had little fear of attracting attention from stronger psychic powers. And you’re sure this is what you want? he thought to her.

«I’m sure,» she thought back, giving him a nervous smile. «I meant what I said. Yes, I’m a little bit scared... but I couldn’t live with myself if something happened to you... something that I could have prevented if I had better control over my powers. I need to do this, Master. Please.»

“I’m trusting you, Eugene,” Nigel said after a moment, “to make sure my dear Constance comes through her training unscathed. Don’t make me regret it.”

“You won’t Nigel,” Eva replied with a nod. “Trust me. We have no ulterior motives here other than to help. You can even sit in on our training sessions if you like, though you’ll probably find it all really boring to watch.” She shrugged. “And Connie, if at any time you feel uncomfortable with anything we’re doing, just say so and we’ll stop. We’ll go as fast or as slow as you want.”

“All right then. Sounds like that’s settled,” Gene replied, slapping Nigel lightly on the arm. “Now then, lad... that just leaves the last two members of our group... the two most stubborn. I have an idea or two how we might be able to clear the air between you and Parker, however, if you’ll hear me out.”

“Albinn?” he replied with a scowl. “He’s made his position perfectly clear. Why would I want to go through the trouble of patching things up with him?”

“Ach, lad, it’s like I told you in the hospital,” Eugene stated softly. “Parker Albinn is a good lad. There’s no finer man ye’d want at yer back. Aye, he’s stubborn... but ye ken well enough why he hates you.” Gene stared at him frankly. “It’s not completely yer fault, mind... if nothing else, yer just the one he blames for the situation between him and Patty. It’s what caused this whole damn mess, this ugly feud that lasted more than twenty years. If our two families are truly going to have peace and mesh together as a unit, then Parker and Patty need to sit down and talk out their differences.”

“Huh. Fat chance of that happening,” Nigel scoffed. “Even when she was my obedient and loving mind controlled slave, I’d be hard pressed to get her in a room with him for more than two minutes, even with a direct command. Without it, there’s no way she’d ever go along with it.”

“Aye. Parker’s the same way,” Gene mused. “Still, I did have a few ideas on the subject. Let’s say we discuss them over a drink and a nice game of chess. I have the board all set up in the parlor.”

“Chess you say?” Nigel replied, grinning. “Fair enough,” he agreed, following his friend back into the back. “I’ve been practicing, Frasier. If you plan on winning this time, you’d better make sure you slip something truly potent in my drink...”