The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows 8: Dark Dungeon’s Depths

by J. Darksong & Baltimore Rogers

Ch. 4) What Doesn’t Kill Me...

SLASH!

“Who owns you?”

I cry out, unable to do otherwise, as pain wracks my helpless battered and beaten form. I wobble and sag in my restraints, the chains—real ones, not my mentally imprinted ones—holding me up by my wrists the only thing keeping me on my feet. Groaning, licking my dry cracked lips, I managed to croak out the appropriate response.

“Y...you do... Mistress...”

“Good boy,” Serpentina hissed savagely, running a long nailed hand along my cheek, causing a spasm of pleasure to pierce through the cloud of pain and agony suffusing my very being. It’s been at least three hours now since this latest scourging, probably longer, as my sense of time has become really warped lately. It feels like I’ve been hanging here for days, but logically I know it can’t have been that long. I would have died of thirst if it was truly as long as it seemed, and though I was feeling parched, I was hardly dehydrated.

My Mistress walked in front of me, carrying the latest implement of my torture in her hands, tapping the long thin flexible wand lightly in her hand. I noted idly that the polished silver Nth metal had been stained red with my blood, a point driven home as Mistress held the tip up to her lips, licking the end with her long, flexible and somewhat forked tongue. I closed my eyes, trying to prepare myself for what was coming next, trying to marshal what remained of my waning strength to endure it yet again—but a quick lash of the wand across my cheek, slicking a painful gash, forced my eyes back open. And so, I was denied even a moment’s respite, as she stood in front of me, and I groaned inwardly as the questions came once more.

“Are you mine, slave?”

“Yes, Mistress,” I replied woodenly, lowering my gaze to her feet. “You own me... my mind and body are yours.”

She scowled, angered by my words, or rather, the one important one that was missing. “But not your soul?” she hissed, hand lashing out with inhuman speed to grab my chin, and force my gaze up to her eyes. Hypnotic eyes that pressed down on my tattered and frayed will, flattening it. “You know what I want from you, slave!” she growled. “I want your complete submission to me! I allowed you to keep that one tiny spark of resistance so that I might have the pleasure of squashing it personally... and enjoy watching it die out.” Her expression hardened. “Instead, despite everything I’ve put you through, that damned spark is still there, still burning brightly, underneath all your kowtowing and subservience! Now... sing for me.“

I opened my mouth, my thoughts and will squashed flat, obedience so thick it was probably leaking out of my ears. She hadn’t suggested a song, or a tune, only to sing, and as my mouth opened, I wondered idly what tune it would be...

“No.”

The look of shock on Mistress’ face was probably only surpassed by my own. She blinked, and blinked again, and I gasped as the pressure on my brain relented. “NO? NO?!?” she shrieked, gripping the slender wand so tightly I wouldn’t have been surprised if, Nth metal or not, it snapped in half. “You DARE to refuse me? Disobey me?”

I shuddered inwardly. I hadn’t disobeyed! I wasn’t being obstinate... not really. If I’d really have had a choice in the matter, I would have given in. I would have folded like a house of cards in a windstorm if it would have saved me from this latest round of torment. The fact of the matter was that I WAS hers, mind and body and spirit... but NOT soul. My heart and soul belonged to Devon. What Mistress wanted from me I didn’t have to give... and that tiny remaining speck of myself that was holding on at all, was holding on just for her. When she’d trapped me in her gaze, I’d lost all conscious control over my response. The ‘No’ I’d uttered had come from someplace deep down inside me. Not that it mattered... I was about to pay for that refusal... possibly with my life.

No... I was wrong... as the brutal whack across my freely hanging genitals with that metal rod only made me WISH I had died. Chains snapped as I fell to the floor, too overcome to even curl into a ball to protect myself. And all the while, my Mistress continued to shriek and yell and curse at me, raining down blows and kicks all the while. And, maybe one of the connected with my head, or maybe the trauma to my manhood, combined with everything else, simply overloaded my brain. Either way, I kinda of zoned out then, as everything went kind of grey...

* * *

“So, Mrs. Grimalde, how are you doing today?”

Patricia grinned. “You know, you’re not REALLY my driver. You’re just filling in for Darryl while he’s recovering. You don’t have to call me ‘Mrs. Grimalde’. And I’m fine, really.” She sighed deeply. “I’d just really be going anywhere but where we’re going.”

“Yeah, I know,” Karen Summers replied with a sigh as well. “But you know, no one’s forcing you to go through with this. You’re a hot shot prosecutor—you could just send someone from your office to deliver the envelope.”

“Huh. I wish,” Patricia murmured. “But I promised Nigel I’d do it... as a personal favor to him.”

“Personal favor, huh?” Karen said with a shrug, turning smoothly to merge with traffic entering the offramp. “You really do love your husband, don’t you?” At Patty’s glance, she chuckled. “Well, of course you love him. That goes without saying. I meant you must REALLY love your husband to be doing this. You and the meathead don’t exactly get along.”

“That’s putting it mildly,” Patty replied with a groan. “I can barely stand to be around him. Every time I see that smug taunting face of his, I just want to punch his lights out!” She grunted. “I’ve prosecuted some of the worst criminals in this city, dealt with the scum of the Earth, and honestly, I’ve never known anyone as insufferable as Parker Albinn.”

“Yes, well... all things concerned... he’s not that bad,” Karen said slowly.

“Yes he is,” Patty replied instantly. “You have no idea—”

“Listen, Patty,” Karen cut in, “maybe it’s not my place to say anything, but maybe you’re judging him just a bit too harshly? I mean, yeah, the guy is annoying. Insufferable. A damned know-it-all and a smug one at that. But, well... he is a pretty decent guy once you get past all that.”

Silence for several seconds, then: “You’re right. It wasn’t your place to say anything. Just drive the damn car.“

Karen sighed. “Okay. Fair enough. But I still think you’re angry with him simply out of spite. He’s... he’s a good guy.” She grunted, shaking her head. “And believe me when I say I never thought I’d ever hear those words coming out of my own mouth! The first time we met, he blasted me into a wall and nearly brought the whole building around me ears. Granted, I was a brainwashed slave of Dr. Mania, intent on killing him for my Master, who was planning to sell me at the underground slave auctions...” she said with a shrug, “still, my point is that my first impression was that the guy was a jerk.”

“Then your first impression was spot on. He IS a jerk. A fucking arrogant prick! And if you had any idea what he did to me, you wouldn’t be sitting there singing his praises like some goddamn groupie—”

“But I do know what he did to you, Patty,” Karen countered. “Or have you forgotten? I was one of Venus Satore’s little puppets as well.” Patty stiffened, remembering now. “Yeah, I was one of Parker’s last few converts before he slipped the leash himself. He took my greatest weakness and turned it against me, turning me into a slave to goddess Aphrodite. Hell, I’m only a few years older than you... I was just a college girl myself, a little more experienced, but still completely unprepared to be turned into a sex slave and trophy for Satore’s other little followers.” She scoffed bitterly. “We’ve more in common than you know, Patty. When it was all over... I blamed him for what happened, like everyone else. I hated the very sight of him, and the way it all brought back the memories of my enslavement...“

“Then... you do understand,” Patricia said in a low voice, “at least a little. But... how can you simply let it slide, and act like you’re all buddy-buddy now? How can you forgive him for what he did to you?”

“I... don’t know how to explain it,” Karen said after a moment. “He’s... a big dumb goofball... it’s hard as hell to stay mad at the guy! And really, deep down, it wasn’t his fault. He was a victim of Satore just like the rest of us... more so even. The next time I met him, I was getting my ass handed to me by some crazy blue haired screaming mimi called the Banshee. I’d made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him after the Satore incident. I’d even told him I’d vaporize him if he came within ten feet of me after that. And yet... when I really needed someone, when I was absolutely desperate with nowhere else to turn... he stepped in and saved me. Even knowing how I felt about him.” She shrugged, pulling the car to a stop in front of a large office building. “That’s just the kind of guy he is.”

Patty said nothing. Even so, she couldn’t help but agree with Ultra Girl’s assessment. When Duncan Frasier’s little ‘thank you’ for the tip she’d given him about Eugene coming for him had set Grimalde Tower ablaze, Parker and Veronica were the first ones there to help. Distraught, scared out of her mind about Nigel trapped inside, hurt, possibly dead, she’d lashed out at him, taking out her anger and frustrations on him, just as she always had. And yet, he’d stayed, he’d helped, he’d saved Nigel from a burning death, nearly dying himself in the process.

Okay. So... just because I hate his guts doesn’t mean he’s not without some good qualities. Maybe... maybe this won’t be so bad after all, she thought when she left the car, heading towards the building. And I just have to go in, give him this envelope, and leave. No problem. I can do that.

* * *

“...goddamn useless fucking piece of shit!” Serpentina screamed, winding down. She was so wound up by her slave’s unexpected refusal that she was panting. How dare he refuse her! How dare he! It was inconceivable that he could refuse her ANTHING... especially something so simple, so insignificant! On the first night she’d brought him in, under the effect of Grimalde’s serum and her gaze she’d asked him point blank was there any act he would not do for her of his own free will. And of all the things she might have expected, sexual things, gross degrading things, the only thing he would NOT willingly do for her was sing to her! At first, she was shocked by the answer, but when she demanded he elaborate, it made a strange kind of sense.

“I don’t really sing for anyone,” he’d admitted after a while, “except for my sister. And now, for my girlfriend, Devon. Not even my parents have ever heard me sing. It’s... something private. Something personal. I can only sing for someone I truly love...”

Which, she mused, apparently did not include the evil bitch tormenting him. Not that she much cared one way or the other. She was pretty much tone deaf—it all sounded like nails on a chalkboard to her. It was the simple fact that it was something that he held onto, that he refused to give to her. And that... could NOT be tolerated!

She knelt down to stare at him, lying prone on the floor, eyes wide, staring at nothing. “Hmph. So, you’ve retreated down into your ‘safe place’ huh?” she sneered. “Hiding from the pain, from the sorrow, from everything? Not that it will help you. No, my captive little slave, there IS no escape from me. I own you... and I will own ALL of you.” She scowled as he merely lay there, completely unresponsive. He’d done this before, on the third day, when she’d pushed him too far beyond his endurance. It would take him a few hours to emerge back from his shell... time that she would punish him for later once he was aware enough to appreciate it. For now, however, she could only chide herself for having lost control and pushed him past his breaking point.

But that’s the point, isn’t it? she thought to herself. To break him? To utterly crush his spirit, to the point where he can refuse me nothing? She scowled, glaring at him, a feeling of intense jealousy overwhelming her. “Devon,” she said, spitting on the floor in disgust. “This slut you’re in love with... the one you SING for! Damn her... if my three Diablos had had any sense, were able to actually THINK outside the box instead of blindly following orders they’d have snatched her up as well when they took you! I’m half tempted to send them back out to find the little bitch and bring her here...” Her eyes glinted, and a smile creased her lips at the thought.

“So... what do you think of that idea, hmm?” she purred, kneeling down to stare into his eyes. She cupped her hands around his chin, tilting it up to stare into his eyes. “I know you’re in there somewhere. You think you can resist me because of her, your dear sweet Devon? When I leave here today, I’m going to send my men back to Utah to find her and bring her back here. How do you like that idea? You’ve managed to endure my little torments quite easily—I wonder if she will fare as well.” Her grin widened as he twitched ever so slightly, some small bit of recognition glimmering behind his eyes. “Ah... you DO like that idea, I see. Well, I’ll make sure you have a front row seat to watch as I deal with her.” He twitched again in her hands. “Or... oh, wait. Yes... I know! Perhaps I’ll simply command you to kill her with you bare hands.”

She laughed gleefully. “Oh yes! I can see it perfectly... the tears in your eyes as you try and resist my command to kill your lover, the strain as you fight against your own body and mind... the despair on your face as the light fades from her eyes!”

Laughing again, she released his chin, and his head slumped back down to the floor. “Yes. That is what I shall do. If taking the life of the woman you love doesn’t break your spirit, then nothing will!” With that, she turned and strode out of the room, leaving her broken little toy lying prone where he’d fallen. With the door closing behind her, she failed to notice his hand twitching, his fingers spasming slightly... before slowly closing into a fist...

* * *

“C’mon, slowpoke!” Katie called out gleefully, running barefoot across the Prentiss mansion front lawn just before she took to the air. “Catch me if you can!”

“Oh, I’ll catch you, all right,” Sioban yelled after her, spreading her wings as she leapt aloft. “And when I catch you, you’ll be sorry!” Her long scarlet hair ruffled behind her as she flew, her tight form fitting pink blouse and thigh length grey spandex shorts fluttering ever so slightly with her movements.

“Oooooh! I’m soooo scared!” Katie laughed, flipping over in midair to taunt her friend. “You fly more like a buzzard than an angel, Bon-bon! C’mon and move yer ass!” Tapping into her powers, she zoomed off in a burst of speed just an Sioban caught up to her, streaking across the sky in a flash of warm yellow light. Bonnie let out a loud growl as her prey slipped just out of reach, then giggled, flapping her wings to gain more altitude.

“Someone’s in a better mood today,” she noted aloud, as she continued to gain height. Glancing around, she chuckled as Katie, dressed only in a short sheer white belly shirt and cut-off Daisy-Dukes barely big enough to cover her ass, flew back into range, her wind ruffled blonde hair streaming behind her like a banner as she spread her arms and flew in a corkscrew.

“Might be because of my sleeping partner,” Katie replied, hovering long enough for a quick kiss on the lips before darting off again, just barely escaping Sioban’s grasp. “Seriously, Bonnie, thank you for last night. That was the best night’s sleep I’ve had since, well... forever! It’s the first time I didn’t dream about... uh, um... well, that I didn’t have bad dreams,” she amended.

“Oh? Then what DID you dream about, Kitten?” Sioban asked, flaring her wings, moving into an even higher altitude.

“Oh, um... nothing special,” Katie replied blushing shyly. “Just, yanno... good dreams.”

“I gathered as much,” Bonnie replied with a smirk, turning towards her again. “But what specifically did you dream about?“

“Uh uh,” Katie replied, starting to giggle teasingly, “not gonna tell you that, Bon-bon.”

“Really?” Sioban asked, an evil expression creasing her face. “You want me to force it out of you? You know I have ways of making you talk,” she added, wiggling her eyebrows deviously.

“You gotta catch me first, Mistress Dragonfyre!” Katie giggled back, taking off across the sky at top speeds.

“I’ll catch you, Luminaire!” Sioban crowed in her best evil villain voice, “And then you’ll rue the day! Mwahahahaha!”

Snapping her wings together then tucking them in close to her body, Sioban rolled into a powerdive. Rocketing straight down towards the ground, she pulled up suddenly, using her momentum to blast across the sky like a rocket! Katie actually stopped and hovered to watch, awestruck by the sheer majestic poetry of movement as her friend literally soared through the sky. It was only as she turned and arced towards her, coming up fast, that Katie broke from her trance. Yelping in alarm, the blonde heroine turned and fled.

“I’ve got you now, ‘Light of Justice’!” Sioban called out in a sing-song voice as she inched closer and closer to the retreating heroine. “I’m gonna caaaattccchh yoooouuu!” she teased, closing the distance, so close now she can just barely reach out and grasp her ankles. It was one of her favorite games; of the two of them, Katie was actually much faster, her powers letting her stream through the sky like a flash. But Katie was only too aware of how fast her angel winged partner could go, and always kept the ‘race’ close. In the end, Sioban always caught the spunky little blonde, and ‘punished’ her gleefully for her taunting. But then again, that was all part of the fun.

Because Katie wanted to be caught.

“You’re mine now, hero!” Sioban cheered, wrapping her arms around Katie’s waist. The startled blonde let out a loud shriek, as they both began to drift slowly back towards the ground. Clad in only the tiniest stretch of fabric, Sioban’s fingers were free to caress and stroke nearly every inch of flesh on the squirming blonde’s body. “I told you, Luminaire,” she gloated with a devious grin, “no one escapes the wrath of Mistress Dragonfyre!”

“No! NO! You can’t!” Katie cried out, struggling in mock terror. “P-please, Dragonfyre! Mercy! Don’t unleash y-your wrath upon m-me!”

Bonnie laughed gleefully. For all of her talents, Katie was a really bad actress. “I’m sorry, Luminaire,” she answered, digging in her hands in the younger girl’s ribs as she extended her wings, bringing her soft downy feathers to bear on the sensitive girl’s skin, “Actually, no. I’m not a bit sorry. You brought this upon yourself: Death of a Thousand Feathers!”

“Aaaeeeeehaaa-hahahahahaha-haaaahhhaaa!!” Katie screamed, jerking wildly in her captor’s arms, even as Bonnie wrapped her legs tightly around her waist. “Heeeeeehhhahahaaha! Nooooohoohohohohooo!” she squealed, struggling fitfully, batting away at the feathers, only succeeding in tickling herself more. “Plleeeeheheheheheaaasseeee!” she begged, even as she began writhing against her scantily clad lover, starting to glow as she began to lose control. With a small flash, her Neuroweave clothing vanished, leaving her completely nude. Grinning evilly, giggling herself, Sioban activated her own Neuroweave implants, leaving herself just as naked.

“My poor sweet little heroine... suffering my wicked ministrations! Beg me nicely,” she purred, leaning forward to nibble along her neckline, “and maybe Mistress will show mercy.“

“Yyesss... Mmmmisstresss!” Katie groaned, grinding herself against Sioban, surrendering to her completely. “Aaahahhhhhahahahaha... mer... meerrcceeee...” Her eyes shot wide open, however, as she felt Sioban’s long slender fingers stroking her down below, teasing her wetness, bringing her closer to that explosive ending she so desperately sought. “Gaaawddesss... yeesss... pleahheeese, Bon-bon, pleeehehehe... more... moooohaaahahahaarrrr...”

“And you’ll tell me what you dreamed about last night?” Sioban continued, still tickling her captive’s flesh, still stroking her hard aching clitty.

“Yeeessss... gaawddess yesss... anything... ehhehehehee.. everythiiiinnng!! Pleeeeehehee, Bonniieeeee!” Katie begged, toes clenching tight around the feathers tormenting her even as she felt her arousal and need grow even more. She felt so helpless, so utterly out of control, and Bonnie was playing her body like a finely tuned instrument.

Just like before. Hearing about Sioban’s daydream, about taking her just this way, making her beg and scream for mercy before teasing her into oblivion—she’d insisted that they play it out. And again the day after. And while her absolute favorite position was joined waist to waist, floating in a cocoon of light, being teased and tormented with the ‘Death of a Thousand Feathers’ while floating high above the city was a damn close second. She threw back her head and groaned, shuddering. She was so close now, so fucking close, all it would take was just the right touch, just the right word from Bonnie...

‘Mistress’ Dragonfyre wasn’t far behind herself. Every tickle, every nibble, every caress, caused her blushing blonde love to grind against her just that much harder. On top of that, her light powers were out of control as well; Katie was glowing from head to toe, and her body pulsed like a living breathing vibrator. It was all Sioban could do to hold on to her wits and resist surrendering to her own libido before she finished teasing Luminaire.

Best of all, she knew that Katie would surrender to her at the drop of a hat, that the sweet submissive girl was only hanging on so long because Sioban willed it, that as strong and powerful as her need to cum was, she would hold out forever if Sioban asked it of her.

Not even in a trance and she’s so utterly under my control, Sioban thought dreamily. Goddess, I love this girl! I don’t know what I did in my life to deserve this, but I swear I’ll never ask for a single thing ever again! Unable to take any more, she pressed herself tightly against Katie, and flared her wings out to slow their descent. “Cum for me, Katiecat,” she yelled before sealing her lips against her lover’s, kissing her with all the passion within her.

Katie kissed back—clutching her lover just as tight, but letting go of herself completely—filling the sky with a blazing light show that would have lit up the city had it been night time. Her mind shut down completely, overcome and overwhelmed by the sheer passion and pleasure of the moment. She felt it... love... filling her like hot coffee in a carafe, wrapping around her like a warm blanket. Deep down in her very core, the small scared, sobbing part of her soul felt it, felt that love, as impossible as it seemed, and even as her mind dismissed it, couldn’t understand or accept it, for a moment her soul felt something it had long since given up on: hope...

Sometime later, back on the ground, Katie stirred, yawning and stretching as she found Sioban, fully clothed again, lying on her front on the grass, simply staring into the sky. “It’s not fair, you know,” she said grinning, donning her own clothes before snuggling up against her.

“Hmmm? What’s not fair?” Sioban asked, nuzzling back.

“Getting me to agree to tell you all my deep dark secrets when you still haven’t told me any of yours,” she replied with a smirk. “I mean, I don’t really mind. I’d tell you all about my dream in intricate detail if you want.” She smiled. “I’d do anything you asked, Bon-bon. I wouldn’t refuse you.”

“Yeah, I know,” Sioban said softly, looking down at her hands. “And... I did promise to explain my choice before, about not wanting you to join Nigel’s harem.” She took a deep breath. “Listen, Katie... the real reason I said that was—mmmmphhh!” she gasped as Katie silenced her with a kiss.

“It’s okay, Sioban,” Katie replied with a small smile. “You don’t have to explain. I get it. Really. Being Nigel’s slave, belonging to this family of yours... it was nice in theory. But it turns out you were right all along. I didn’t need a bunch of slave programming in my head to regain my sanity. And you and Tawyna, and Constance, and Angela... all of you have made me feel so welcome here, like I already am one of the family. So, yeah... it’s all good.”

“But, no, there was... I mean...” Sioban began, only to sigh softly. True, she HAD said all those things before, and she was glad to have been proven right. Still, the real reason she hadn’t wanted Katie to become Nigel’s slave was purely personal. She hadn’t been able to admit as much to Katie before, at the time. Now, it seemed, it was a moot point. In the end, things had worked out, and Katie was with her just as she’d hoped. Still, she felt a pang of guilt at not explaining herself to the girl.

“Anyway, sweetie,” Katie said abruptly, getting to her feet, “I’m starving. Let’s go back in and see if lunch is ready yet. I seriously need to recharge my batteries before we go for round two.”

“R-round two?” Sioban asked, glancing after the blonde beauty. “Are you seriously in the mood for more after what we just did?“

“Bon-bon, when I’m around you, I’m always in the mood,” she replied in a husky voice. “But more specifically, sweetie, round two is YOUR turn.” She stared at the redhead with a look of pure wanton pleasure. “You set me off so hard I passed out. I’m really hoping to outdo you. You wanted to know what I dreamt about last night? I think maybe instead of telling you, I’ll just show you. I guarantee you’ll love it!” Sioban swallowed, feeling a tingle in the pit of her stomach as a heat billowed up inside her. “But, in the meantime,” Katie replied lightly, turning back towards the house, “I need food! Let’s go, slowpoke!”

“HEY!” Bonnie replied with a smirk, taking off after her. “Calling me names and teasing me is what got you in trouble the last time, you know...”

* * *

Parker Albinn sighed wearily, glancing up from his desk as his intercom buzzed. “Mary? What is it? My calendar should be clear today. We’re just handling the transition of these latest files over to the Braxton HQ representatives. I shouldn’t have any meetings scheduled right now.”

“No, Sir. It’s a visitor to see you,” Mary replied. “A Mrs. Grimalde?” Parker froze, going cold inside. “She said she’s an old friend?”

Parker nearly laughed at the irony of that statement. He sat there for a long moment, debating his response. The only person he wanted to see LESS that Patricia Grimalde right now was Nigel Grimalde... but to simply turn her away without speaking to her to be the same as admitting he was afraid to see her. He’d boxed himself even more by announcing loudly over the intercom that he didn’t have any other meetings scheduled today. He sighed deeply, and steeling himself for what would no doubt be an uncomfortable situation, buzzed her through.

Patty stepped inside, done up exquisitely as always, navy blue blazer and skirt, hair done up on a bun, glasses perched on her dainty little nose—her ‘power suit’ of sorts, for when she was in ‘lawyering’ mode. She hid her nervousness behind a cold demeanor, playing her role as a federal prosecutor to the hilt. Not bothering with pleasantries, knowing they would be wasted on him anyway, she got straight to the point.

“Mr. Albinn,” she began.

“Please,” Parker cut in instantly, already ticked off. Like she suddenly forgot my name after all this time? The bloody nerve... “Mr. Albinn was my father, the son of a bitch. I’d think after all this time you can call me Parker, don’t you?“

Patricia sighed loudly, rolling her eyes skyward, biting back a retort. There were so many things she burned to call him, but ‘Parker’ wasn’t one of them. Still, Nigel wants me to do this, she reasoned, so the sooner I capitulate and play nice, the sooner I can leave here and never return. “Very well... Parker. I came by to bring you this,” she stated, holding up a large brown manila envelope. She slid it across the desk to him, and he glanced at it, then back up at her, saying nothing.

Of course. He wouldn’t open it, he’d expect me to explain. And probably even read the letter to him, too, line by line! Smoldering with barely restrained fury, she added succinctly, “The restraining order. It’s formally dropped. That’s your official notice.“

“My official notice?” Parker repeated, scowling. Oh wow. I get it, now. The feud’s over, and this is what passes for an apology on their part! Probably thinks I’ll be impressed that she hand-delivered it herself instead of sending a lackey! “Well, thank you kindly, Miz Chief Justice, for taking time out of your busy schedule today to play mailwoman.“

“It’s Chief Fucking Prosecutor, asshole!” Patty growled, finally losing her composure. “What the fuck kind of problem do you have with me now? I just extended the goddamn ‘olive branch’—“

“Rescinding the restraining order you yourself petitioned twenty years ago is hardly an olive branch!” Parker yelled back. “It’s more akin to, ‘turning off the fire hose and calling off the dogs’ after the fact! And thank you sooo very much for bringing this by, instead of, say, calling on the phone, or sending it through the mail! And I’m sure that coming here today was totally and completely your idea, and not because your ‘beloved Master’ made you!“

“Watch your damned mouth, Albinn!” Patricia growled, fists clenching. “You start in on Nigel again, and I’ll—”

“You’ll do what, Patty?” Parker challenged, jumping up out of his seat. “Put the restraining order back into effect? Deny me the ‘honor’ of your charming company? As if I’d want to hang around with you and Nigel of my own accord anyway! And I notice you didn’t deny my accusation earlier! He did order you to come here, didn’t he? That’s the only fucking reason you’re here!“

Patricia seethed. “It’s ‘Patricia’. And whether or not that is the case is irrelevant. I came here and presented you with the notice. I’ve done what I came here to do. So now—Thank the Goddess!—I’m leaving,” she said, turning on her heel. Reaching the outer door, she pulled, and pulled again, scowling. “What the... what the hell?” she yelled, pulling hard on the door handle. Whirling around, she glared at Parker. “What the fuck is your game, Albinn? First you all but throw me out of your office, then you lock me in?“

“Locked? Don’t be ridiculous,” he scowled, walking to the door himself, pulling... and pulling again. “Bloody hell?” Walking back to his desk, he buzzed the intercom. “Mary, will you open the door please. Mary... Mary? MARY!” Silence greeted him back. Growling, he turned toward the door and let out a loud high-pitched pulse, then listened, scowling. “What the... she’s not out there. In fact... there’s no one else in the building!” Eyes narrowed, he glared at Patty. “Okay, Patty. Spill. What’s going on here?”

“Patricia. And why are you asking me? This is your office after all.” A loud buzzing sounded suddenly, and Patty felt around in her pocket for her iPhone. A text message popped up from Nigel. Patty frowned slightly, reading, then gasped in shock. “I... don’t believe this,” she muttered softly, rereading the message just to be sure. “He set me up. Nigel planned this... to get us to talk to each other.“

“So, Grimalde IS behind all this then?” Parke growled. “Okay. That’s it. You might have to stay here, but I don’t. I’m out of here.” Powering up his sonic powers, he pointed towards the door. “You might want to cover your ears. This is going to be a little loud.” He fired a sonic blast at the door... then blinked, gaping in surprise as the metal door sat completely unharmed. “Wh... what... the hell?!?” he yelled, trying again, and again, to no effect. “That... can’t happen! That door should be metal fragments by now!“

On his desk, Parker’s computer suddenly sprang to life, and a familiar Scottish baroque began to speak. “To my esteemed friend Parker. If yer hearing this recorded message, then ye’ve likely tried to blow yer door off its hinges to escape rather that deal with what’s happening right in front of yer eyes. Sorry, lad. Not gonna happen. I took the liberty of having your door and framework replaced last week while ye were out to lunch. The normal steel has been replaced with a sample of that new sound absorbing alloy yer department developed for us last year. Furthermore, I had a sound nullifying network installed around the room itself over the past few days at night. Ye can huff and puff all ye like, but ye willnae be blowing this house down. Now... you and the lass have a nice chat, and bloody well deal with yer issues! Oh, and ye can thank me later. Have fun!“

Fraaasiiierrrr!!!” Parker yelled, blasting his computer monitor for pure spite. “Fucking senile old bastard... should have known he’d have a hand in this too!” Sighing wearily, he walked back to his desk, then shoved the remains of his computer into the trash can. Glancing up at Patricia, he gestured to an empty seat. “Well, since we don’t have a choice in the matter... take a seat.“

In an almost perfect imitation of Eugene Frasier, he added, muttering, “Let’s ‘chit-chat’ shall we?”

Sighing as well, Patty sat. “What the hell are we supposed to talk about? And how long to they expect us to stay here anyway?”

“How the HELL should I know?!?” Parker snapped. “Do I look psychic to you? I’m just the ‘idiot speedster’ remember?”

Patty shook her head. “Fine. Forget I asked. Jerk,” she added, glancing away.

Parker softened. “Okay... I’m sorry. That was uncalled for. I’m just... having a really bad day.” He smirked, realizing his situation. “I mean... before all this. We’re in the middle of transitioning what’s left of Frasier Industries over to Braxton Industries, the company that won the bidding war. I’ve effectively lost my SVP position... it kind of feels like the White House, like I’m chief of staff to a lame duck president waiting the last few weeks for the new regime to take over. The big guy’s already gone, y’know, to Kennebunkport, or Hawaii, or wherever, and I’m stuck here trying to simultaneously hold things together and rip them to shreds.”

“Oh... yeah. Sorry,” Patty said softly. “I... read about the buyout in the news. But... isn’t there anything you can do? Some way you can fight it?”

“We’ve been fighting it for more than a year now,” he admitted. “We’re just finally out of ammunition. It’s a done deal. We lost.” He sighed. “Duncan’s plan was flawless. He knew just where to hit us, just how to break us apart. He even used the perfect distraction in going after Jimmy and Katie, to keep Eugene occupied.” He shrugged. “But... well, it’s fine. I mean, it’s just a lousy job, right? And it’s not as if we’re hurting for money; I might not be a billionaire like Nigel, or his new B.F.F. Eugene, but Roni and I have done pretty well for ourselves. And HER company is still in business.“

“That’s good to know. But still... it’s not right. Everyone knows Duncan was behind it all. He set up Eugene from the very beginning. You even have proof that all the sabotage and theft leads back to him.” She shook her head. “It’s not right that your company should go under like this.”

Parker nodded... then grinned. “Well, isn’t this interesting.”

“Hmm? What is?”

“Us,” he said gesturing. “It looks like we actually can have a civil discussion when we try.“

Patty smirked. “Well, if helps when you’re not being a pompous jerk.”

“And when you’re not being an insufferable bitch,” Parker replied, without heat. “God, Patty. What happened to us? How did we let things get so bad between us that we turned into the Hatfields and McCoys for twenty damn years?“

Patty went cold inside. “It’s Patricia. Well,” she replied blandly, “I’d say it all started with Venus Satore, wouldn’t you?”

“Yeah,” Parker replied, looking down at his clasped hands on the desk. “It definitely started there. That’s when everything fell apart.” He closed his eyes. “Look. I know I’ve said it a few dozen times over the years now... but I am sorry, Patty... sorry that I wasn’t there when you needed me to be...”

“Yeah? And why weren’t you?” Patty shot back suddenly. “Why did you fucking abandon me?”

Parker looked up, blinking in surprise. “Well... I tried... tried to take you and Angie back, but you were so deeply under Nigel’s thumb—”

“NOT THEN!” she shouted, slamming her fists down on his desk. “Goddess dammit, Parker, can you get it through your fucking head?!? I’m not talking about my time with Nigel! I’m in love with Nigel! I have been almost from the beginning. I meant with Satore! Why did you leave me with her?“

Parker sat there a moment, staring at her, looking past the anger, the lingering hatred, and saw the hurt, the pain, the sadness... and finally it clicked. “Ohhhh... god... I’m such a fucking idiot,” he groaned, slamming his head on the desk.

“Yes, you fucking are!” Patty snarled, angrily. “You left me, Parker! With her! With that crazy psycho goddess bitch! You broke free from her control and ran away and left me behind! And you had to know... HAD to know what she did to me once she realized you’d broken out of her control? Me... Parker’s favorite, the little ‘sweet treat’ always hanging on his arm! She blamed me for your escape! She made my life a living hell! She tortured me, Parker. And when I was lying there in my own sweat and vomit and... other things... too weak to move... that’s when she’d taunt me: ‘Where is your boyfriend now, Patty dearest?’ ... ‘I wonder what Parker is up to these days. Mai tais on the beach, maybe?’ ... ‘You’re so pathetic. It’s no wonder he didn’t take you wi—’“

“I’m sorry!!” Parker yelled, standing up. “God! I’m sorry! I didn’t... I couldn’t...” He groaned inwardly, all the pleasant and unpleasant memories swirling back up again, as if it had all happened yesterday. “There was nothing I could do,” he said softly after a moment. “Nothing! You’re right. I... I knew that she would blame my escape on you... that she might punish you for it. But there was no way to save you... no way to get you out of there.” He looked up at her then. “And if I had, somehow, some way, managed to make it back to you—past all of the Super-powered henchmen I myself provided her with—what would have happened? A single word from Satore, and savior or not, you would have gladly shoved a dagger in my heart.“

Patty blinked in surprise. “I... I would never...” she started to say, then fell silent. It was true. After she and Angela had been transformed into the Goddess’ acolytes, they had served Aphrodite’s Will with every fiber of their being. She was just a young girl back then, Avenging Angel’s kid sidekick. She’d just turned seventeen, hadn’t even graduated from high school yet. She’d been woefully unprepared for her conversion into the cult of sex and love. Young, naive and innocent, but incredibly well-developed physically, she’d attracted a lot of attention from the Goddess’ other followers. Parker, for some reason, possibly guilt, had taken it upon himself to keep her as his own, requesting her use more often than not, and keeping her all to himself, and occasionally, with Angela.

Somewhere along the line, during the midst of that craziness, she’d fallen in love with him. Deeply, hopelessly, madly in love... which was in a way ironic considering that she was an acolyte of the Goddess of Love herself. True, she’d loved and cared for all of her Brothers and Sisters, particularly her partner/foster mother/Sister Angela. But Parker... Parker was special. He was her first real love... her protector, her guardian, her hero, her heart’s true desire. With him and no other, she could let go completely, be herself, without shame or judgment or concern. And life was good, well, as good as it could be for a mind-controlled sex slave.

And then, suddenly, out of the blue, he was gone. He was suddenly ‘the enemy’. As much as she cared for him, as much as she longed for him to come back to her and rejoin the fold, she knew that if her Goddess had commanded, she would have killed him without hesitation. She would have been sad, would have mourned him forever... but even in the midst of the worst tortures, her Goddess’s will was absolute. Patty could have no more disobeyed Her than pulled the sun out of the sky.

Patricia hugged herself close, shivering, remembering the very worst part of the whole thing, the aftermath. When her voice came out, it was small, quiet, and infinitely, infinitely tired. “It doesn’t matter. You weren’t coming back for me anyway. I know now. You don’t have to pretend. I was never more to you than arm candy and a blow job. Why make it something more than it was, right? I thought there was something more there. It was my mistake.”

“Wh.. wait-wait-W-W-What?” blustered Parker, not knowing where to begin, “Nothing more? Pretend!? ... Patricia Jane Sellars, if you understand only one thing before those crazy old bastards let us walk out of here, understand that I FUCKING loved you!

“Oh please Parker, I’m not a kid anymo—”

“I did! I LOVED YOU! I... I had to hide it from Satore, but I thought you knew...” Suddenly his expression changed. His voice became as small and weak as hers. “Didn’t you?“

Then where the hell were you, Parker?

“I told you. There was no way I could get to y—”

“Not then... after.“

“But... but... I don’t understand. I did come for you when Grimalde took—“

Patricia couldn’t help but laugh, but it was a bitter laugh, fueled by bitter memories. “You... big... goofy... idiot! There was a whole year and a half between when you took down Satore and when you stormed Grimalde Tower. Where. Were. You?

“Hello?! Gunshot wound to the head!” he said, incredulously, tapping his temple. “I was in the hospital for six fucking months!! How come YOU didn’t come to see ME?“

“Oh, come off it, Parker! Angela told me.”

“She...” Parker was finally putting two and two together. His voice grew cold. “Oh really? And EXACTLY what did the lovely Ms. Prentiss tell you?“

“That... that you didn’t want to see me. That you said it was over.”

“Well, how about that!” Parker said in mock surprise. “Guess what she told ME about YOU?”

“No!!” Clearly Patricia was going to have to have a long, and probably painful, conversation with Angela when she saw her next, but still... “I can’t believe you let that stop you.”

“Well,” said Parker, “I was a bit incapacitated at the time,” he said drily. “Besides... you were still under age, and she was still your legal guard—”

“Bullshit, Parker. You never let anything stand in your way, not when you really wanted it. Was it... her?” Patty asked, eyes alight with unshed tears. “Was she the reason you left me? Was she why you never came back? You went to go visit her at the hospital that day, after all...“

Parker shook his head. “Veronica? No. That was just...” He closed his eyes. This was getting complicated, but if nothing else, he owed it to Patty to tell her the whole truth about what happened. “Okay. Let me start from the start. I know I hurt you, Patty. I was a dick for getting you involved with Satore in the first place, and a bigger dick for leaving you behind. But you HAVE to believe me when I say I hadn’t planned it that way. I didn’t want to leave you!” He sighed softly, debating on whether or not to drop the biggest bombshell. “I... know you fell in love with me during our time together.” Patty’s eyes widened. “I know... you never came out and said it in so many words, but I knew. And I... felt the same way. Patty... I was in love with you too.”

Then why the hell did you leave me for Veronica!” she cried, tears flowing now.

“I didn’t leave you for her!!” Parker protested. He was at her side now, pulling her into a hug. She pulled back, trying to break free, struggling, hitting him, cursing him, but he simply held her, letting her vent it all out. “I didn’t leave you for her,” he said again. “You... have to understand. You were so young back then. Hell, I was really just a kid myself, only three to four years older than you. And Veronica and I were just friends back then... I’d kind of hoped maybe we might be more, but she’d never seemed interested in going further. Turns out she preferred your gender instead.” He sighed softly. “Hell, I was dating the mayor’s daughter when Satore first came into the picture.” He grunted bitterly. “Later I found out that even THAT was scripted... that our ‘so-called’ Goddess converted Jennifer and sent her to seduce me, to PRETEND to be my girlfriend to lure me into her web. I’d given my heart to her... and it was all a lie.”

He relaxed a bit as the fight finally left Patty. “I was... lonely. Even in the midst of a cabal of brainwashed love thralls, I felt alone. When I heard that the ‘Goddess’ was ‘offering’ you as a kind of reward for acolytes who had proven themselves worthy... something inside me just...” He shook his head trying to find the words. “I didn’t want that for you. You were more than just a fucking party favor to be handed out! I tried... to shield you... to protect you. You were so young, and while I couldn’t directly disobey Satore, I tried to do what I could. And, well, after I started to have feelings for you, I just, naturally wanted to spend as much time with you as I could... to make things good for you, to make our time together at least... good...” He smiled sadly at the memory. “I was just as much a brainwashed thrall as you were, but I was the Goddess’ High Priest, her right hand man. I used what little influence I could to try and protect you... and ended up falling in love with you in the process.”

“Parker... no. I can’t buy... You didn’t...” Pausing, she pinched her forehead, gathering her thoughts. “Look,” she said forcefully, “All I can say is that’s a fucking strange definition of ‘love’.” Then more softly, “But I’d be the first to admit that the whole damned situation was ‘fucking strange’.”

Risking a tight grin, Parker replied, “You got that right.”

Then he grew serious again, remembering that there was still more to tell... much more. “The day I escaped,” Parker continued after a moment, “I’d been sent to convert Karen... Ultra Girl. I did. I succeeded, and afterwards, I went to visit Veronica in the hospital. She’d been in a coma for weeks after saving my life, during a confrontation with Omega Girl. I don’t know how I knew... maybe it was Satore’s control... but when I went to her, I knew I could wake her up... I knew that the Goddess was calling her into service.” He sighed heavily. “Afterwards, leaving the hospital, I ran into my Aunt Eva and my mom. They attacked me, used their psychic powers to try and break Satore’s hold on my mind. And... they did, but it cost them both their freedom in the process. And... do you know how I did I? How I broke free?”

“Well, you had just wakened her from a coma, after all.”

“No, Pat-pat—Patricia. I wasn’t thinking about Roni at all. Mission accomplished, hands washed, new thrall delivered to the Goddess, she never crossed my mind... It was you.”

“What?!?” Patty said glancing up sharply at him.

“It’s true. Eva and Ana are good, but even they couldn’t undo a Goddess’ magic with simple willpower alone. The reason they succeeded was because I was conflicted. A part of me was rebelling against Satore for what was happening with you. And when they broke into my head... that was the tipping point, the push needed for me to break free of my mental shackles.” He sighed inwardly. “So.... I woke up. My first thought was... ’oh shit, what have I done?’.” He turned then, staring directly into Patty’s eyes. “And I swear to God, on the life of my daughter, the next thought to enter my mind was ’Patty! I have to get her out of there!’.“

“Oh... Oh no.” Patricia’s hand flew to her mouth.

“And then, the full weight of what I was dealing with hit me. I’d broken free... but I’d also made myself a target. Satore controlled half of the city, most of the Supers, nearly all the police force, as well as the mayor. And you. I already mentioned the fact of what a single word from her would make you do. I was alone, and hopelessly outnumbered. And now, on top of all that, I’d unwittingly given her two incredibly powerful psychics as well. The only way of saving ANY of you, and setting any of this right, was to take the fight to Satore herself.”

He buried his head in his hands, trying to drive out the worst of the memories, of the fear, so that he could finish what he had to say. He breathed. He continued. “So I ran. I hid and regrouped. And then I went after her. Stopped her. Got a bullet in the side of the head for my trouble. But... it worked. All of you were freed from her control.” He sighed wearily, releasing his hold on Patty, walking back to his desk, sitting down. “And, so, I spent the next six months in the hospital, recovering and having therapy to re-teach my damaged brain how to control my body again. I’d hoped you would have come to.... to visit me... or maybe just send flowers or a card, or something... but I figured you were probably too pissed about being turned into a sex slave in the first place to have anything to do with me ever again.”

“Angie told me not to,” she whispered, “I...I bought you cards... I wrote you letters... short novels really. Angela, she told me not to throw myself at you, not to... not to make a fool of myself. Oh Goddess! All so I could be a fool now.“

Tears brimming in his eyes, Parker couldn’t find his voice. You and me both, kid. he thought.

Shaking his head, he laughed bitterly. “And then... you left town. You graduated early and went away to college out of state. I heard about it second hand from Angela when I reached out to her... Angela, who, consequently, also blamed me for everything and wanted nothing to do with me. AND she blamed me for the animosity between you two, for you not wanting anything to do with HER anymore either. So, yippee... add a little shame cherry to top off that guilt sundae.” He sighed heavily. “Maybe it was her way of getting revenge for the hurt I put her through. Or just maybe she was, deep down, really trying to protect you from being hurt by me again. Either way, I can’t really blame her. I was already wracked with guilt about it all anyway. So when she told me that you never wanted to see me again, well, I already half-believed that myself.”

“Damn,” shouted Patricia, “Damn, damn, damn!

Parker swallowed hard. “Heh. Tell me about it. Then, miracle of miracles, you came back to River City! Angela was missing, and you were trying to find her. Again, I found this out second-hand, months after the fact when poor demented and abused Angie was being treated by my Aunt. Once I knew what was going on, I led the charge, stormed the castle, trying to save you.“

He stood up again, and paced, nervously back and forth while speaking. “You know, Pat—Patricia... I was still banged up then. I had a polymer plastic-ceramic shell embedded in my skull to cover up the bullet hole. I had virtually no powers anymore. I was damaged goods, Patty. I was a wreck. But I knew you were in trouble—I thought you were being held against your will! So I went to save you... because I’d failed you once in offering you up to Satore, failed you again in not rescuing you when I escaped her... I damn sure wasn’t going to fail you a third time.“

He laughed again, turning to face her, showing her his face, wet with tears now. “But I guess I did anyway. You were already Nigel’s obedient little pet by then. He was the ‘glorious’ love of your life, and I was just some ‘evil invader’ trying to destroy and wreck and ruin everything in your life. Again.”

He walked away, towards the window, staring down at the street below. “Yeah... that’s me. ‘Albinnicus, Destroyer of Worlds’... or at least destroyer of lives. You made it clear that you wanted nothing to do with me... so... so I left. I walked out of your home, your building, your life... and never looked back.” He sighed. “You want to know why I’m always a jerk? A part of me died that day... and as much as you had every right to blame me, I blamed you for that. I loved you, Patty... loved you fiercely, with all that I was... and lost you. You and Nigel call me ‘Mr. Hero’, like it’s some kinda joke. Hell, a lot of people do. But with you, it’s always a knife in the gut. I’m no hero. I never considered myself to be one. What kind of hero fails to save the damsel in distress when she needs him the most?“

He stopped pacing, and turned back to face her again. “You thought I left you for Veronica. The truth is, you left me, Patty. I didn’t leave you, I was taken away from you by forces beyond my control. But I came back. I fought for you. Maybe I was late... maybe it was too late to do any good. But I tried. I tried like hell. But in the end, it just wasn’t good enough. In the end I failed to reach you. Hell, you didn’t want me to reach you. And Veronica was there the whole time, supporting me, caring for me, giving me a shoulder to cry on. Y’know, being a friend? THAT’S why Roni and I are together. I didn’t leave you for her that day. You left me... crushed me... and I’m with Roni because she picked up the pieces.“

Patricia sat still as a statue for a long moment, absorbing his words. For so long, she’d only thought about her own side of things. She’d been abandoned. She’d been left behind. Her life had been ruined. She’d meant every word she’d uttered that day when Parker and his group had burst into her Master’s home, threatening to take her away from everything she’d grown to love and cherish. Now, though, years later, without the programming narrowing her perceptions, older and more mature, able to look at it all dispassionately, she saw the things she’d missed back then.

She remembered Parker at that moment... battered, bruised, panting, barely able to stand, looking much weaker and thinner than he had the last time she’d seen him. Truth to tell, he’d looked like death warmed over. Yet... he’d come for her. Years before, battered and abused, in both mind and body, she had cried herself to sleep every night, wanting nothing more than for him to do just that, to fight off all Satore’s hoards, to face impossible odds, to be the hero, just for her. And he had... two years too late, but he’d come just as she’d wished. And... she’d destroyed him for his trouble.

“Parker...”

“Patricia, it’s okay,” he said softly. “You don’t have to say anything. You don’t owe me... You... Let’s just say that maybe, just maybe, I deserved a little of that mental anguish you put me through. I never wanted to think about what Satore did to you after I escaped. And now that I know... a little... of what she put you though, I... I really wish I didn’t.”

Patricia continued anyway. “Maybe you’re right. But I never meant to hurt you. I never tried you hurt you, until I thought you were trying to hurt me. But that’s no excuse. I did hurt you. I’m... I’m still hurting you. But you don’t have to be tortured anymore. I don’t have to be tortured anymore. I don’t want to hate you. It’s too hard. It hurts too much. Maybe we can’t really be friends. But I don’t want to hate you anymore. Could you... I just... I wish you could stop hating me too.“

“Patricia... No. Patty,dammit,” he amended after a second. “Fuck it, you’ll always be ‘Patty’ to me. And for what it’s worth... even at my lowest points, even on those nights I just cried myself into a stupor, I never for a single solitary second ever hated you. I only ever hated one person for how things turned out between us: Me.“

CLACK

They turned from each other, staring in wonder as the office door swung open. Then they looked at each other, collapsing into an uncontrollable, shared, fit of giggles and heartfelt tears.