The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows V: Shadowed Past, Brighter Future

by J. Darksong

7.)

“Jess?!?” I yelled, rushing over to the circle of ninja surrounding her. “What the hell are YOU doing here?”

“I came to save you, what else!” she yelled, exasperated. She glanced from hooded face to hooded face before turning back to face me again. “Um... mind telling your friends here to back off? They’re totally invading my personal space.”

“Everyone, please, back away,” I said calmly. Or at least attempting to sound calm. Inside, my heart was thudding like a kettledrum and my brain seemed to be on overdrive. What was she doing here? How did she find me? And what was going on outside? Had my girlfriend somehow caused some kind of catastrophe in order to sneak in here and rescue me? Not that I needed rescuing, mind you. I’d been inducted into the Aizukotetsu-kai Clan. I was one of THEM now. If anything, I was anxious about Jessica’s safety. If she’d done anything to hurt the guards or others outside the compound...

“Katherine! Who is this girl?” Mistress Aki screeched, coming up beside me. “What is she doing here? Kat-chan, do you know this girl?”

I blushed slightly at the familiar term, " Hai, Aki-sama, She’s my girlfriend. She was with me at the restaurant when Veronica and I were taken—“

“Girlfriend?” Aki said, her disapproval evident. “And she followed you here, did she? Brought backup too, from the sound of things.” Scowling, she walked across the room to Sakura-sama, who stood eyeing Veronica warily. “Stupid girl! All of your plotting and planning, your grand scheme for revenge... is in shambles! I told you before—you should have kept it simple! Killed the bitch from the beginning and moved on. Now, we are exposed! Sakura, finish this now. No more games! Kill the traitor.” Walking back to her seat, she added, “And the rest of you? Kill the intruder!”

What? Jessica! NO!

“SHIT!” Jess yelled, raising her blasters again as the circle of ninja advanced on her en mass. Not sure who to fire at first, she kept shifting from target to target, all the while they continued forward, quickly closing the distance between them. As the raised their swords, she closed her eyes, and screamed—

“Stop!” I yelled, blocking the sword strikes with my own blade, Jess safely behind me. “I won’t let you hurt her! If you want to kill her, you’ll have to go through me!”

* * *

Damn... time’s up, Jimmy mused briskly, slamming the unconscious body of another ninja guard into the ground. She should have been back by now. All she had to do was find out where Veronica and Katie were being held, transmit the location, then come back out to me. She must be in trouble. Pressing lightly on a button on the side of his watch, he activated the tracker in Jessica’s utility belt.

“He’s there!” a loud shout rang out, as four more guards emerged from the building, clutching automatic weapons. Jimmy grunted, taking fire as he followed the beacon, heading towards the center of the compound. His costume was bulletproof, and even without it, his body was tough enough to take the impact—the bullets wouldn’t penetrate his skin, but they still hurt. A lot. Grunting again, he struck out, sending a wave of shadow tendrils at the shooters, stunning them into compliance.

I’d love the chance to pay these guys back for all the bruises they’re dealing out, he thought, sweeping past the stunned assassins and heading further in, but I’m in a hurry. And this place is a bloody maze—fuck! A sword bearing ninja stepped out from a hidden alcove, swinging at his head. Having too much momentum to stop or dodge, he simply lowered his head and dove, tackling the man instead. Landing, rolling back to his feet, he continued on, wincing as two more sentries appeared, tossing kunai and shuriken at him.

Dammit. This is taking too long! I can’t fight my way past every foot soldier and flunky in this entire place one by one! Checking the tracking beacon once more, he turned a corner, then paused, lining up perfectly with the directional finder. Well, there’s always the direct route, he thought grimly, taking a deep breath, lowering his shoulders. And, in the grand scheme of things, this way will probably hurt a lot less anyway. Hang on ladies, I’m on my way! Gritting his teeth, Jimmy charged forward, straight into the concrete wall...

* * *

“Kat-chan!” Mistress Aki-sama said, scowling. “You are turning traitor as well?”

“N-no!” I answered back. “Never! I would never betray the Clan!” The very thought was unthinkable! The Clan was everything! But still... “She’s my lover. I can’t just stand by and let her be slain!”

“Silence!” Aki-sama yelled., furious. “She is an enemy invader! She must be killed!” She smirked, choosing her words carefully. “It is for the good of the Clan.”

Veronica smiled. This was exactly the kind of chance she’d been hoping for. “Katie! Don’t listen to her! There’s nothing good about killing Jessica. She’s your soul mate... your better half! You love her! You can’t let them kill the woman you love!”

“Quiet you!” Sakura growled, slashing at Aunt Roni’s chest. The older ninja defended, blocking the attack with her own blade. Sakura smiled, however, giving the hilt of her blade a sharp twist. The sword’s cross guards locked, holding their blade together. With her left hand, she drew a kunai from her belt, and struck at point blank range. Veronica, unable to dodge from close range, twisted her body, deflecting the blow somewhat, taking a deep gash in the shoulder instead of the heart, where the younger girl had aimed. Crying out, she staggered back, her grip of her katana lost as the blade clattered to the ground.

“Hah! Must have struck a nerve cluster,” Sakura crowed triumphantly. “You won’t be able to hold onto your sword now. You’re mine!”

Heedless, Veronica’s attention stayed fixed on me, and my inner struggle. “Katie! Focus! Remember what’s most important! Listen to your heart, not your head! Don’t let anyone else tell you what to do—choose for yourself!“

Good advice, even from a traitor. But... did taking her advice make ME a traitor as well? Madame Aki-sama wanted me to kill Jessica... wanted to treat her like any enemy of the Clan. And the Clan was more important than anything else. But... why was Jess an enemy? She wasn’t MY enemy. She was the sweetest, kindest, most beautiful, most loving person in the entire world! And she loved me enough to risk her own life following me here to save me, even though I didn’t need saving. Someone like that... could be an asset of the Clan! My grip on my sword loosened.

“Aki-sama,” I said humbly, bowing in respect. “Jessica is not an enemy! She could be an asset, like me. I humbly beg you to spare her life... you can convert her to our cause, the way you did for me! I’m sure—”

“Be silent, girl!” Madame Aki snarled. “YOU do not dictate my actions, whelp! I decide what is best for the Clan. In the absence of Oyabun-sama, I AM the Clan! My word is law! You will kill that girl right now, with your own hands, or I will—gaaaakkk!”

The white haired woman stumbled back as an energy discharge struck her full force. With a gasp, she fell down, hard. “Someone needs to shut that bitch up!” Jessica spoke, blasters in hand.

Immediately the ninja surrounding her attacked, slashing at her from all sides. She screamed, firing wildly, trying to defend herself from the onslaught. All this I watched, frozen, everything around me moving in seeming slow motion, with my mind was going on overdrive, a steady pulsing rhythmic beat hammering all the while:

Mistress Aki! Jess shot her! She attacked her. Attacked the Clan! She should die—

But... no. Not Jess. I can’t hurt her. I could NEVER hurt her!

But she attacked the Clan! She’s my enemy!

No.. she’s not! She’s my girlfriend. My lover. The missing part of my soul—

SHE IS AN ENEMY! SHE DESERVES DEATH!

NO! I won’t let you!

The Clan is EVERYTHING! I serve the will of the Clan!

NO!

Nothing is more important that serving the needs of the Clan!

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOOOO—

“—NOOOOOOOOOO!” I screamed, clutching my head as seemed to implode, white hot sparkles and lights flashing in my vision. Everything was wrong, I was wrong. Up was down, and down was left.

I felt something building up inside me, a huge blast of heat, or light, or... or something! I felt as if my head would crack open any moment from all the pressure building up and simply SPEW like a volcano. Screaming again, I sank to my knees, still clutching my head as something inside me... snapped, and broke free—

A huge blinding blast of light filled the area, and then I wasn’t the only one screaming...

* * *

Roni groaned softly, shaking her head to clear it. Damn. Looks like the kid went supernova, she thought groggily. Now I’m cut, stabbed, battered, bruised, and nearly charbroiled. Sitting up, careful of her damaged shoulder, she glanced around the room. On the good side, looks like she took out pretty much everyone else as well. Rising slowly to her feet, she limped her way over to the still form of Jessica, half covered beneath the groaning bodies of the other ninja. Kneeling down, she checked for a pulse, then sighed in relief. Good. She’s alive. I recognize the costume she’s wearing... one of Eugene’s new hardsuits... cloth-like body armor. He always said the stuff was virtually indestructible. Looks like it blocked most of the sword strikes, and kept them from piercing her skin. She’s probably a mass of bruises underneath, and will be tender all over for days, but she’ll live.

Likewise, giving the unconscious Katie the once over confirmed that she would live as well. Whew. Not exactly the kind of ending I’d hoped for, all things considered, but I’ll take it. Now, I just need to figure out how to carry them both out of here with my bum shoulder...

The sound of steel against stone caused her to freeze, and sigh, shaking her head. Turning around, she saw her adversary, Sakura Murase, rising back to her feet, bloody, singed, but still not ready to quit. “It’s... not over... yet... traitor,” she rasped, using her sword to regain her footing. “Don’t think... you’re getting away... that easily.”

Veronica sighed deeply. “Okay. Listen. I know... this is a matter of pride for you, okay? I get that. I’ve been where you are right now. But this isn’t going to end well for either of us! All of this... everything this duel has cost us... Oyabun-sama will not be pleased. Even if you kill me, you can’t think he’ll simply welcome you back with open arms? Most likely, he’ll show his displeasure by sending a squad of assassins to take YOU out as well.”

Sakura laughed, a haunting broken sound. “Pitiful. You know you are done... so you resort to reasoning? Trying to get me on your side? Convince me that it’s in my best interests to turn against the Clan just as you did?” She brandished her sword. “I may be a lot of things... I may be a real twisted evil little bitch... but I’m no traitor. If Oyabun decides to send someone after me, then so be it. If they’re good enough to take me out, then I deserve to die. The only sin greater than disloyalty... is failure.” Her expression hardened. “I was sent here to kill you... and I do not intend to fail.”

Shit. She means it. She’s not going to stop until one of us is dead. And I can’t even hold a weapon right now. I have no way to defend myself... nothing to deter her, or change her mind... Then, suddenly, it came to her. Change... her mind! That’s it! Fuck... it’s been staring me in the face this whole time! I still have one weapon left to used. Now... I just need to get close enough to her to use it. My secret technique... she’s still young, she may not have learned it yet. It’s risky though... it takes a lot of energy to perform, and I’m kind of running on fumes as it is; if she figures out what I’m doing halfway through, I’ll be a sitting duck.

Kneeling down, picking up a discarded sword, holding it awkwardly in her hands, she forced a smile. “All right. If this is the way you want it to go down, so be it.” She forced herself into an offensive stance, causing Sakura to pause briefly. “I have to tell you though... despite everything that’s happened... despite the cuts and bruises, the wounds and the blood... I’m actually excited to be facing you this way.”

Sakura blinked, then chuckled. “Really? You find facing your own demise ‘exciting’? Not quite the word I would have used to describe the experience.”

“Well, it’s not often that I get to truly test my skills either,” Veronica said, conversationally. “I mean, there’s Katie, and her brother, and my husband, and every once in a while, Eva, another friend of the family. We all have the same training regiment, and they’re all pretty good, to different degrees. But it’s not the same. Things are never as... intense... in sparring, as they are in a real life or death battle, where you’re fighting for your life.” She smiled, her eyes glinting strangely in the candle light. “In a real fight, when your life is on the line, you learn to pull out all the stops. learn to use every skill, every technique you’ve been taught, just to survive. You learn to do the unexpected, the unaccounted for, and even if it costs you dearly, you learn to push yourself to the limit, knowing the payoff will be worth it.“

Sakura chuckled again. “So what are you trying to tell me? That you held something in reserve all this time, a little all-or-nothing technique, just in case you ended up in this situation?” She shook her head, but kept a wary eye on her opponent, just in case it wasn’t mere bluster. “That would mean you let me carve you up like a turkey for forty minutes just so you could lure me into this position. Why? What could you possibly hope to accomplish? You can’t even hold your sword properly.”

Roni’s grin widened. “Well, Sakura-san, I have two things to tell you. The first being that sometimes sacrificing a little pain in the beginning is worth avoiding something worse in the end. When this is over, I hope you’ll remember that. You have a definite advantage in your youth, I’ll admit it. If I wasn’t in as good shape as I am, I would have collapsed about halfway through this encounter. As it is, I’m on my last legs. But experience trumps youth. And I have experience on my side.”

“You’re boring me now,” Sakura announced, rolling her eyes. “Go ahead and make your move. It will be your last!”

“Wait, I said I had two things to tell you. I’ve already mentioned one. As for the second...” she paused dramatically for a moment. “In the matter of not being able to hold a sword in my right hand?” With a simple switch, she transferred the heft of the blade to her left hand, holding it aloft easily, bracing with her injured right. “Did I forget to mention I was ambidextrous?”

Sakura’s eyes widened in shock, and she made a sudden lunge forward, intending to plunge her blade through the center of Veronica’s skull. As cold steel pierced flesh and bone, she experienced the exhilaration of triumph... only to have it vanish before her eyes, just as her opponent did. Movement on her right side caught her attention, and she glanced over to find Veronica Albinn, at her side, a glowing ethereal blade in her hand, held high, prepared to make the killing strike. Stunned disbelief mingled with rueful amusement at the precipice of her own defeat.

Damn. After-image technique, she thought dimly as the glittering blade surged forward towards her own skull. Impressive. I thought it was only a myth. Never imagined I would ever actually see it in action in my life time....

A shock ran through Sakura’s mind and body as Roni’s psychic blade pierced her, cutting through every barrier, every defense within her mind, leaving her very psyche open and exposed. Mentally joined, Roni found the source of Sakura’s obsession, her hatred, the commands and programming placed deep within her core by her grandmother long ago, the same mental conditioning that had molded and shaped her into a heartless killing machine. The same cortical manipulation that had twisted a sweet innocent girl like Katie, turning her into an unthinking, unfeeling weapon of destruction. The same diabolical programming she herself had been a slave to all those many years ago when she’d knowing killed her beloved with her own hands. With a rage she hadn’t felt since that day, Veronica sliced through the foreign thoughts crowding the girl’s mind, ripping them apart, bit by bit, until the girl’s mind was clean and her own once more.

Withdrawing, panting, Veronica drew pack, letting the stunned girl fall boneless to the floor, unconscious. Cleansing her mind had taken the last of Roni’s strength, and it was all she could do to stay standing. A slight vibration shook the room, and she paused, frowning, glancing at the far wall. Damn. What now? I don’t think I can handle anything else right now... When the wall suddenly exploded, and Jimmy Frasier’s familiar ebony colored bulk burst in, she actually laughed in relief. Ah. Thank the goddess! she prayed silently, shuffling towards the young hero.

“Jimmy. Good. You made it. That’s good. Really good,” she murmured even as her vision began to darken. “We’re okay. Everyone’s okay. Katie’s... over there. Sleeping. So’s Jessica.” She took another step towards him, but stumbled, and he moved forward to catch her before she fell.

“Aunt Roni! You look like hell!” he mused quietly, noting all the gashes and cuts. “We need to get you to the hospital!” Glancing around, he sighed. “Wow. Looks like a bomb went off in here. What’s the situation?”

“The situ... ation?” Roni slurred, shaking her head trying to make her eyes focus. “Bad guys down. Good guys won. Katie’s... gonna need to see... Eva. Did a number on her. Jess... hospital, too. Jimmy? Think you can... handle that? ’Cause... I’m really really... tired... and I think I need to rest now...” she managed before passing out in his arms...

* * *

The next couple of days were kind of a blur for me. I’m not really sure of a lot of what happened while I was out, and even a lot of the things that happened when I was awake are kind of fuzzy. I only really learned the details after the fact. Two days after the abduction, after Aunt Eva had cleaned out my brain of its latest infestation, I was more or less back to my own self again. And considering the guilt I felt about what had happened to Aunt Veronica and Jessica, being myself wasn’t all it was cracked up to be.

“Hey, now, enough moping around,” my brother said after a while, flopping down onto the couch next to me. “Everyone has already said it, including Jess and Aunt Roni, so you might as well take it to heart. It wasn’t your fault, sis. None of it. The kidnapping, you fighting Veronica, Jessica being involved, her getting attacked—none it was your doing. You weren’t in control of yourself. And there’s nothing you could have done different to change what happened.”

He had a point. They all had a point. Still... “If I hadn’t been there...” I couldn’t help saying. “If I hadn’t gone across the street to talk to Veronica when the swooped in to abduct her—”

“Then that Sakura bitch would have killed her out of hand, without the ceremony and games,” Jimmy replied. “That was her original idea, by the way. She planned to simply execute Aunt Roni in front of the other members of her Clan, tied and helpless, like a lamb to the slaughter. Having you along made her change her plans somewhat... with someone she knew Veronica cared about as a captive, she was able to make a big production out of it all, and turned the execution into a duel. If you hadn’t been there, Veronica would be dead.” He sighed. “And as for Jessica... if you’d stayed with her the whole time, had she been with you when the kidnappers struck, things would have turned out much worse. They might have decided to take you all.... or simply decided they didn’t need three captives and killed one of you on the spot. Besides which, if Jess hadn’t seen you both get captured and come here, I would never have known, and wouldn’t have come along to get you guys out of there.”

I sighed looking away. As always, I couldn’t fault his logic. “I know. Dammit, I know what you’re saying, okay?!? I understand it in my HEAD... but I can’t help feeling that it’s my fault anyway! I should have done... something, yanno? I should have been able to fight off Mistr... Madame Aki’s brainwashing... should have resisted it more. I let her turn me against two of the people I care for the most.“

“Well, I have to disagree with you there, Sis,” Jimmy replied, leaning against me. “I talked with Aunt Roni, and Aunt Eva, about what you went through. First of all, you have to understand what you were up against. That ancient Aki woman? She’s a literal master of the art of acupuncture. A virtual legend. Apparently she taught the woman that turned Veronica into an eager obedient assassin all those years ago, and compared to Aki, she was a mere novice! A lesser person would have been a mindless obedient robot after enduring half the trauma she inflicted upon you. And even then, you still managed to fight it off when it really mattered, when she ordered you to kill Jessica.“

I kind of smiled at that. At the time, I felt like my mind was splitting in two, fighting against two halves of myself. I was so confused, I didn’t know which end was up. All I knew was that I couldn’t let Jess die.

«Ah. And finally, a smile,» my brother thought at me, chuckling mentally. «See? Even you have to admit it. If you hadn’t been there, if things hadn’t gone EXACTLY the way they had, people we care about could very well be dead.» He smiled at me, a rare sight all things considered, and despite it all, I felt myself smiling back. «There. That’s my girl. I know how you feel, believe me... thinking that no matter how good things ended up, you should have done more. And I hate to sound cliché, but ‘a win is a win’, Katie. You helped take down an international assassin guild. The Yakuza lost a fortune in manpower and resources, not to mention the dishonor of their top assassin getting her ass kicked by our hometown favorite. You did a lot of good, little sister. So stop feeling sorry for yourself.»

Leaning forward, he kissed me on the forehead, then stood up from the couch. “So? Think you can put all the doom and gloom—which is MY department, by the way—behind you now? I need to drive up to Portland later and finish apologizing to some folks for everything that happened a few weeks ago, but I’ll be glad to drop you off at the hospital to go visit Roni and Jess. Mom and dad went earlier, but decided to leave you here until you felt more sociable. So... think you can face them both with a smile?”

I blinked in surprise. “You think they’d actually want to see me after everything I did?”

“They’ve been bugging me for the past two days to bring you by,” Jimmy grunted, rolling his eyes. “They, like the rest of the world, know that what happened was not your fault. They’re worried about YOU, sis. Yes, you heard me: Aunt Roni, with her torn rotator cuff and shoulder, and Jess with her sprained wrist, ankle, and concussion, are worried sick about you.” He glanced at me, eyebrow raised in question. “So... are we going to the hospital now, or are you going to sit around and mope?“

Shaking my head, laughing, wiping away a few tears, I nodded briskly. “Yeah. I’m coming. Just let me grab my jacket.”

(end)