The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows IV: Midnight Dusk and the Silver Dawn

by J. Darksong & Madam Kistulot

V.)

In the upper section of the jail, the Gems and the Lieutenant were talking among themselves, all of whom glanced up as Aurora appeared. “Ah, Silver Girl? Perfect timing,” Pearl said with a smile. “We were just about to come and get you. Orders from above... the murderer is being shipped back to River City to stand trial. The transport will be arriving in a few minutes... and since his powers will return once he leaves the holding cell, we were wondering if you would help us with security, just in case he tries to make a last minute break for it.”

Ruby growled softly, slamming her fist into her palm. “Frankly, I almost hope he does try to escape! It would be just the excuse we need to take that bastard down hard..“

Aurora frowned, taking a moment to take in a long, deep, slow breath, and slipped more wholly into the Silver Girl part of her persona. “Thanks. I’d be glad to help. I wouldn’t be comfortable having him out of my sight until I knew he was back in River City, anyway... was actually just about to ask to help. I imagine me helping by watching from a distance would give off the wrong signals.” Namely, that she was an accomplice instead of trying to help the thin blue line be a little less thin. She turned to Ruby, frowning just a little. “We do want to try avoiding that, though... if we can. I mean, if he does... I’ll be the last one to let him get away, and the FIRST one to help bring him down. But... let’s hope for best case scenarios...? And uhm... when we have a minute, after this is all over, Lieutenant? Jimmy told me there was a woman he crossed paths with who needs some help. I’d like to see what I could do.”

Lieutenant Hunter stiffened.. “Oh really? So he’s sitting in there talking about poor Ellen?” Her hands clenched tightly into fists. “Fucking bastard... after what he did to her, he’s lucky I didn’t shoot him outright instead of having him locked up!” She turned, giving the young heroine a hard stare. “If you’re suggesting I should allow him to see her again, don’t—I don’t want that scum anywhere near my sister ever again!”

Pearl laid a hand gently on the Lieutenant’s shoulder. “I understand how you feel, Dana... but I think we may actually need Umbra’s help... I took a look at the girl as you asked... but my power couldn’t penetrate whatever he did to her mind..” She shrugged, shaking her head. “I don’t understand what it was exactly. It wasn’t a psychic attack, of any kind that I’m familiar with. It was.. kind of like there was a dark cloud or fog or something... like a barrier. I couldn’t reach the part of her that he’d affected to make her a mute...”

“And... I’d be willing to try, too, Lieutenant,” Aurora piped up. Little sparkles formed at the tips of her fingers. “Pearl, right?” Aurora smiled, moving a little closer to her, standing beside her, a show of unity, before turning back to the police officer. “We transport him. Get him nice and locked up. Trail. All the works. No evading justice today. But once he’s locked up... we throw everything we have at helping her. Me included. If it doesn’t work? He’ll be locked away, and be itching for some excuse to get out early for good behavior. So... Let’s say he tries. With us watching him. Like a hawk.” Aurora smirked. “And Ruby can tell you, if he screws up, I’ll be happy to make him regret it. But that’s in the future, as a last resort.”

Dana Hunter let out a deep sigh. “Sorry. No way. No offense to you, Silver Girl, or you, Beautiful Gems... but this guy is too damn dangerous... he left a trail of destruction covering seven states before we caught him! That includes friends of mine, a young woman, a State Trooper I went to the academy with—she tried to pull him over and he destroyed her police cruiser with her in it!” She shook her head firmly. “I’m not about to take a chance on letting him mess around with Ellen’s head again. I’m sorry for how that sounds. I can appreciate that he’s a relative of yours. I have a few Aunts and Uncles on my Dad’s side that I’m not that proud of either. And... I’d be grateful if you or any of your talented friends try and help her... anyone but him. I can’t... I won’t let him hurt her again.”

Aurora frowned but nodded. “All right. Then I promise I’ll throw everything I’ve got at it.” She winced.. the slightest little bit. “Sorry that... that my mom isn’t here. No matter what it is, she could probably have fixed it up.” She didn’t feel like this, a lot, but this was definitely one of those moments where her mom would have been perfect for the situation, not her. “But... transporting is... well, the important thing, right? For right now, I mean! Ellen is very important, too. Sorry if it sounded...”

The Lieutenant smiled, nodding. “It’s okay, I know what you meant...and.. thank you. Would you like a cup of coffee or a soda while you wait?”

“Sodas fine. " Aurora looked back towards Jimmy’s cell, resisting the urge to pace. “That’d hit the spot. If it’s not too much trouble. And uhm... really, sorry Gems if I came off a little... catty, earlier. Bad punning comes with the uniform.”

Jette chuckled...“No biggee.. the reputation proceeds you. Anyway, I guess you were in a bad position anyway.. him being your family and all... I guess its kind of a shame...considering you, your mom... heroines.. and then there is this guy... I’m just glad you decided to side with us instead of him..”

Aurora smiled brightly, shining just a little. Maybe a little too eager to fill that shadow, and having amassed a reputation that could precede her, already, that was... encouraging, to say the last. “Yeah... Well... villains can reform, too. It’s rare, but it happens. Rehabilitation is what it’s all about, right? Justice, and healing. though...” She turned to Ruby, smiling weakly. “I don’t blame you for leaning more towards the former. Next time he needs a good hit I’ll see if you can’t score it.”

Ruby merely raised an eyebrow... holding up a hand... a flame of intense heat flickering from her fingers for a moment before fading again.. “Oh believe me, if I hit him he’s not getting back up... so maybe you should handle it the next time... if there is a next time...” She sighed, shaking her head. “Sorry. I can be something of a ‘hothead’ sometimes,” she said, making quotation marks with her fingers, “yanno? It’s just... every time I look at him, I remember what he did to Amber and Emerald...the humiliating way he left them... it gets me so... so...” A sudden burst of flame erupted from her body, causing everyone nearby to take several steps back, before damping back down again. She sighed. “Sorry.”

Mentally, Aurora filed away that Ruby was a firestarter, and let the thought drop. Fire was nothing that scared her. You could always remold metal with fire, but it took a lot of heat, and a long time. Of course, she hoped the fellow heroine was just trigger-happy. It happened.

The Lieutenant glanced up as the phone rang, picking up the receiver on the first ring... listened, and nodded once before hanging up again. “Okay.. good news. The transport just arrived. Looks like its Showtime...” Draws her weapon and checks it.. an energy pulse blaster... the newest model from Draupnir Industries... she sets it to level 10..the maximum level...“Just to let you ladies know.. the federal warrant on him is still in effect... the order is shoot to kill.” She paused a moment, choosing her words. “Despite everything, I’d rather it NOT happen that way, but.. if he so much as blinks, I want him kissing the pavement... got it?”

Silver Girl nodded to the Lieutenant with a smile, as she walked along, dancing a spark between her fingertips idly. “I respect you needing to use your sidearm if it comes to it.. but, well, between me and the Gems... it shouldn’t come to that. The police need to have lethal force on their side. We’re different. We can’t do that. Besides, I know from experience how to take him down without taking him out.“

The Gems nodded in agreement, although Ruby less eagerly than the others, and begin heading back down to the cellblock hallway. Meanwhile outside, the transport backed up along the back entrance... where a squad of twenty armed officers from River City P.D. stood, awaiting the prisoner...

* * *

I glanced up at the sound of footsteps returning, then sighed, closing my eyes at the sight of Aurora standing there with them. All of my words, all of my warnings... I might as well have saved my breath... still... I was just as stubborn as her, if not moreso. She had no idea. If there was a way to defy fate, a way I could somehow intervene... I’d just had to watch and wait for the chance... “So...” I said lightly, “I guess that means my ride is here? Huh... and me without cab fare. Don’t suppose anyone would be willing to arrange for my car to be brought along home with me? Anyone can drive—except Silver Girl, I’ve seen how she handles a motorcycle... and no way I want her behind the wheel of my Jenny...” Aurora rolled her eyes.

“Jimmy. Do me a favor. You’re afraid a fire fight is going to start and end with me dead? Behave. Makes it more likely that won’t happen.” Frowns just a little as I turn my back, sticking my arms out... stepping a little closer, she places the restraints around my wrists. “Come on. On your feet, and hurry on out. Ruby just wants an excuse, and I won’t stop her next time.” A frown... a scowl... though it was clear she didn’t mean for anyone to be hurt, but Aurora and big talk, it went hand in hand.

Forcing a smile, I get to my feet... moving to the door...but paused before leaving. “I know you’re not exactly tech-savvy...or anything.... but do you know what kind of weapons the police are packing?”

“Weapons that probably make my metal look silly. Never taken an energy weapon to the face. Don’t intend to start. Besides, They’re on my side.” A pause... a frown. “And I’m not as tech dumb as I used to be. I did work for Draupnir Inc for awhile.” Which... she recognized the logo. She knew the software running those things, firmware, really... Rebecca might have written it. Maybe not. Improved aim. Power consumption very carefully controlled. If it hit... that was something Rebecca never wanted to test. “Remember?”

I sighed. “Yeah,.. which is why I asked the question. you may not be a technophobe anymore... but I have always been in the know...and I remember the one from my vision. They’re packing PCF model blasters... nicknamed the “pacifier”... the latest in high tech urban protection and pacification... I got a good look at it earlier with Lieutenant Psycho shoved it in my eye socket.” I frowned from the memory. “I know what kind of energy output those guns use... I’ve, um... well... seen the specs of the prototype model...and well, good memory. anyway... ’Rora? Consider for a moment that the head honcho of that company, the creator of said weapon, has extensive knowledge of Supers... their strengths and weaknesses... and yours in particular..“

I paused, not wanting to come right out and point fingers at her former employer. And lover. “Anyways... you’re tough, ’Rora...really durable. You can take a hard hit better than most. Hell, I’m no slouch in that department myself! We’re both pretty tough... but we’re not exactly in the same league as my mom. I know that tech... I’ve seen the specs before... and at the highest setting a blast from that would flatten Omega Girl...”

I walked out through the open doorway and around the corner to face my escort... all five of them... but paused to whisper in Aurora’s ear. “I don’t plan on starting any trouble... but know this: if one of us is dying today... it won’t be you. No matter what it takes...”

“And it won’t be you, either,” she whispered back with a grim smirk on her face. “I’m here protecting the peace. Besides. I’m a superheroine. Like I can stay dead.” A grin. A grin that hid a lot of tears, considering her own mother, and the countless jokes about why wasn’t she back alive yet, why didn’t she just ask someone to retcon her mom’s death. So much anger, sorrow, emotion... she followed along. “Try to cool it... and besides... I think said genius likes me.“

I rolled my eyes as I trudged into the middle of the line. Our lives as the fevered writings of an insane literary author. Heh. If it were true, I’d like to spend five minute along with the sadist who created MY character. Forget breaking the ‘fourth wall’ I’d ram the guy’s head through it! Dear, dear ’Rora. Got to admire her ability to find humor in the oddest places.

Truth be told, I just plain admired her. She’d been through a lot of shit at a really young age, and yet somehow, not only had she not let herself be destroyed by it, she had actually come through it all the stronger. For all of her being likened to silver or gold, the truth is, I saw her more as tempered steel.

Alas, even steel breaks when enough of the wrong kind of pressure is applied.

We made it to the back entrance of the station, coming out a small door several feet from the transport, a heavy-duty reinforced armored carrier. Under normal circumstances, I’d make some glib remark about being impressed, that they’ve chosen to use the crème de la crème of transports for little ol’ me. Under normal conditions, I might have even added a crack about making sure Silver Girl wasn’t the one in the driver’s seat, just to make sure we all reached our destination in one piece. But this situation was hardly normal.

I paused just outside the door, staring at the vehicle with obvious dread. The armored car... the wheels, the paint, the markings... everything was an EXACT match for the one in my dream. And yes, I know, lot of standard issue government vehicles look alike... but this one wasn’t LIKE the one in my dream. It WAS the one I saw in my dream... even down to the splatter of dried mud of the mud flaps, the thin scratch along the blue lines along the side of the door—parked in the exact space I’d foreseen, just underneath and to the side of the small bathroom window. There was even a small dark spot on the pavement just beside the left back tire... an oil leak from another vehicle parked there previously. Everything matched up perfectly to my dream. I could close my eyes and see it again, as if it were happening right in front of me. And the worst part was, it WAS!

“Hey! What’s the hold up?” Ruby groused from directly behind m, shaking me out of my momentary paralysis. Giving me a non-to-gentle shove forward, she stepped out into the open air. I stumbled a bit, nearly falling, but somehow managed to keep my balance. Not easy to do with your hands shackled behind your back, by the way. “What’s wrong, ‘Jimmy’?” she taunted me, moving in front of me, staring me right in the face. “No inane chatter? No wisecracks? Don’t tell me you’re getting cold feet now that the moment has finally arrived?” She grinned savagely, holding up a hand encased in fire, causing me to jerk back awkwardly. “If that’s the case, I’d be more than happy to warm them up for ya!”

“Hey, Ruby, cut it out, willya?” Jette hissed, pulling her teammate aside. “I know you’re still pissed, okay? Frankly, so am I. But we’re on the job right now, okay? We’re official. This guy is shackled in special reinforced hybrid metal restraints, surrounded by armed police, us, and his own cousin! The guy ain’t going anywhere!“

“Yeah, yeah,” the redhead muttered softly, dousing her flame. “I suppose you have a point. Even if he did somehow manage to break free, it’s not like there’s anywhere for him to go.”

Of which they had a very good point. The rear of the police station was surrounded by a fifteen foot reinforced steel and concrete wall, with an electronic gate at the edge, allowing vehicles with the proper clearance to enter and leave. More formidable, however, was the rather large and angry crowd of people standing outside the gate, some of them holding signs, eagerly wanting to get a glimpse at the ‘monster’ portrayed on the nightly news, the evil remorseless fiend that had the entire country in an uproar. Even though it was longer the 1500’s, and angry mobs no longer carried torches and pitchforks, I felt more than a little bit like Frankenstein’s monster, with the gate and my armed escort the only thing keeping them at bay.

“Ah, shit!” Lt. Hunter swore, glancing over at the rapidly growing demonstration just outside the gate. “Someone must have leaked the news. We’ve got a damned three ring circus forming at our back door. Sanchez! Ramirez! Get some more people out here. We’re gonna need crown control around the back entrance pronto!”

And I wondered... maybe that was what had started it all, the ignition point that would turn my nightmare into reality? An unruly member of the crowd with a weapon, a shout, panic, and mayhem... and ’Rora caught in the crossfire... it could happen. It could so easily happen. Suddenly, I didn’t want things to draw out anymore. I wanted to be loaded onto the transport RIGHT NOW, before things had a chance to go wrong.

“Hey,” I called out, causing heads to turn in my direction. “Ruby’s right. There’s no need to dilly dally around, is there? Let’s go and get me locked up and secured, and get this show on the road. The sooner I’m loaded up, the sooner I can be taken back to River City to serve justice!”

Aurora gave me a look, one of disbelief, as if she couldn’t believe I’d just said that. And I frankly couldn’t believe I’d said it myself. I guess the filter between your brain and your mouth goes offline when you’re scared you’re about to be responsible for the death of a beloved family member.

“Justice?” the lieutenant scowled, turning around to face me. “Justice? Can you people believe the nerve of this guy? After all the shit he’d done over the past few weeks... now the bastard has the gall to talk about serving justice?” She rolled her eyes skyward. “And I’m sure it has nothing at all to do with that crown of people wanting to lynch your sorry ass.” Grumbling, she shoved me back towards the building. “I’m halfway tempted to let them have you!“

“Hey, ease up, lieutenant,” one of the officers murmured softly, placing a hand on her superior’s shoulder. “We all feel the same way. But don’t let him get to you. He’s just trying to provoke us, so we’ll do something to violate his rights.”

Provoke her? I was trying my hardest not to provoke anyone, especially her! I just wanted to get the hell out of here as soon as humanly possible. I was afraid to say or do anything at this point, afraid that the slightest spark would ignite this powderkeg. In the end, it was ’Rora who came to my rescue. Naturally.

“Um, Lieutenant Hunter? Maybe we should get him secured in the transport first, and just handle everything else as we go? Yanno, with the tension and everything... we’ll all breathe easier when he’s safely under lock and key...” And lessen the chances of any accidental firefights. She still didn’t believe Jimmy’s insistent claim that some perilous fate was about to befall her, but, well, always better to be safe than sorry.

“I don’t want to take that chance, Silver Girl. Once we leave this enclosure, it’s twenty to twenty-five feet of open space between here and the transport. With the size of that crowd, and the general feeling of animosity, it’s too easy for an incident to occur, either some rowdy from the crowd causing trouble, or our prisoner taking advantage of the chaos.” She growled softly, shaking her head at the unexpected situation. “We need to hold our position for a while until we can get the area secured.”

Pretty much the opposite of what I wanted. The longer I was out of the truck, the greater chance of the incident I’d foreseen occurring. “Look, I really, REALLY want this to be over, okay? I’m willing to let you drug me and knock me unconscious, and drag me to the transport if that’s what it takes—”

“I kind of like that idea,” Jette put in, cracking her knuckles loudly. “Mainly the unconscious part. And I won’t even need to drug him. Hey, sport? How about you just shut up and let US handle this. You just sit tight and relax. It’ll all be over before you know it.”

Well, I had no choice but to stand there. And wait. I sure as hell couldn’t relax, not knowing that at any second something could happen to start a chain reaction of events, like dominoes, leaving to... well, I didn’t want to think about. Just try and stay positive, I told myself, as I silently counted down the minutes. One good thing about this is that aurora is visibly on edge. Which means she’s starting to take my warning seriously now. Who knows? If forewarned is forearmed, she might be able to stop what’s coming before it even gets started.

Hey, I’ve been known to be wrong before.

* * *

High above the city, a silver and blue blur streaked across the sky, accompanied by a sonic boom as it arced towards an extremely tall skyscraper along the northern end of the business district. Firing retro rockets within a few feet of the roof, Armor Man dropped lightly on the building’s helipad. A mental command cut his armor’s propulsion unit as his boots touched the surface, and with another mental command, his armor retracted from his body, disconnecting from his body’s nanomachine integrated systems, reverting back into its normal form as a large silver briefcase. Without breaking his stride, Eugene Frasier slid the briefcase under his arm, and opening the building’s roof access door, stepped inside.

“Ahh! M-M-Mr. Frasier! I, ah, didn’t expect you to arrive so... so quickly!” a flustered middle-aged blonde with green turtle shell glasses responded as he exited the stairwell into the business proper. “I only received notice from our River City office that you were arriving an hour ago!” She blinked, glancing up towards the roof. “I don’t know how I missed the sound of your helicopter...”

“It was in ‘whisper’ mode,” Eugene replied with a smirk, walking smoothly past her into the office. A palm placed against a hand scanner unlocked a large walk-in closet, and placing the briefcase inside, he took out a white dress shirt and jacket. “I trust you were able to find out what is going on with my son?”

“Ah, ye-yes, sir,” she said, opening a large manila folder. “It seems he surrendered voluntarily to Midas City P.D. several hours ago. He was being held in the special meta-human detainment cell—”

“Aye, I’m familiar with the facility, since I designed it,” Gene cut in drily. “Is he still there? Last I heard he was to be released as soon as the transport from River City arrived.”

“Ah, um,” she sputtered, pulling a thin touch-screen tablet off the desk, tapping quickly at the screen for a few seconds. “Ah, here. The transport has arrived, but it has not yet left the grounds.” She frowned slightly. “There actually seems to be some kind of commotion there at the station... a large crowd of people protesting just outside the gate.” Tapping the screen again, she enlarged it, then handed it to him. “The video feed is in real-time,” she pointed out unnecessary.

Eugene watched for several seconds, panning the view, scrolling through until he found a camera view that showed inside the walls. “Ah... there he is. And he doesnae look too worse for the wear. I... eh?” Tapping a few keys he zoomed in on one of the other figures. “Silver Girl?” he said aloud. “That cannae be... I thought she was missing...” Tapping a quick sequence of keys, connecting to his private satellite, he scanned the area.

Hmmm... Ah, it’s not Sarah after all... it’s Aurora. I see. Playing the role of the city’s protector in her mother’s absence. He lowered his head slightly. Poor lass. She hasn’t exactly reached out to us in the past few months, but we haven’t exactly gone out of our way to reach out to her and Sylvia either. Aye, I’ve have my machines searching for Sarah and Valerie since the moment I heard they were missing, but I havenae shared that fact with them! For all the lassie know, they’re the only ones still looking...

“Yes, I know,” the woman continued on, oblivious. “She just suddenly reappeared one day. It’s not surprising that you hadn’t heard. It didn’t exactly make the evening news. She’s a local favorite, but not exactly a national—Sir?” the woman asked as Eugene turned abruptly and began walking with long strides down the hallway towards the elevator. “Wha... where are you going?”

“Midas City Police Department,” he replied grimly. Reaching the elevator, tapping the DOWN button, he turned, pausing. “Miss...” flipping through his mental rolodex of employees for all his businesses, “...Porter.” She nodded slightly. “Please contact Martina Collins, the Chief of Police, and Mayor Alexandra Richmond, for me. Tell them that I am in town, and heading to the police station... and that I’m calling in a personal favor.”

* * *

After what seemed like several decades, but was most likely only several minutes, a squad of uniformed officers arrived, forcing the unruly crowd back behind a line of barricades. Thankfully, no one had died yet, although the tension and anxiety was all but killing me. The Lieutenant was staying just a few feet from me at all time, hovering around like an annoying fly... or more accurately, a hornet, preparing to sting. Silver Girl and the Beautiful Gems took advantage of the hold-up to talk, getting to know each other a bit more. My cousin was definitely making an impression; she was, after all, an older, experienced and established heroine, and a second-generation heroine who has herself saved the world on more than one occasion.

Now... if only I can manage to save her...

“Alright,” Lt. Hunter breathed wearily, sliding her radio back into her pocket. “It looks like we’re finally set. We’ve established a perimeter around the front gate, and everyone is alert for the first sign of trouble. Silver Girl, Jette, I’d like you two to escort the prisoner to the transport and lock him down. Pearl has agreed to help with security by scanning the area for any obvious and no-so-obvious threats. Officer Miller, I want you and Brooks to keep an eye on him while Silver Girl and the Gems get him situated. That leaves Ruby and the rest of my men to deal with things if the prisoner breaks free and manages to get past the others.”

“That won’t happen,” I replied tersely, itching to dispense with the pleasantries and get a move on. “This is what I want... to go back to River City.” Moving awkwardly with my restraints, I turned to look the police woman in the eye. “I’m not expecting any sympathy or kindness, or anything. But you can at least acknowledge the fact that I turned myself in of my own accord. Your officers didn’t have to hunt me down. I walked in, made a confession, and let you lock me up without a fight.“

“So? What do you want? A medal?” she responded, turning away. “I’ll deal with the driver and the transfer of custody orders, and tell them to get you the hell out of my city.” She shook her head. “And I can honestly say I’ll be glad to wash my hands of this whole affair.”

Score! Oh, happy day! Not exactly the response I was expecting... but I was ecstatic nonetheless. I let out a breath I hadn’t actually realized I was holding. As ’Rora and Jette led me step by anxious step towards my ride, I felt more and more elation. It was working! Something had changed! Maybe telling Aurora what was going to happen DID change the future. As I sat down on the hard metallic bench and had my wrists and ankles bolted down to the reinforced framework, I couldn’t help myself. I laughed. Jette, Pearl and Ruby looked at me as if I were insane, but I think my cousin knew precisely what was going on inside my head. I had never been so happy to be wrong in my entire life! Even when she bent down to fasten the ankle restraint around my left foot and whispered a quiet “I told you so”, I was simply too happy that she was alive and capable of picking with me to care!

“Hold it!” The Lieutenant’s voice called from outside the transport. “Hold on a second. Looks like we’ve got a bit of a delay. Again. Unload the prisoner... we’re going to have to babysit him a little bit longer.”

What? WHAT?!?

“Um, Lieutenant?” Jette said, scowling. “Any particular reason why? And I’m sure it’s not because you enjoy his sunny disposition. Really, we’d like to get on the road as soon as possible, you know. It’s a long ride back to River City, and the longer we sit here, the more chance he’s going to get antsy and tries to pull something.”

“I know!” Dana replied with a scowl. “I want him gone as much as you do. But apparently this scum has big friends in high places. His ‘daddy’ apparently made a call to the Mayor and the Police Chief, and the three of them are coming down to personally oversee his transfer of custody personally.” Her eyes narrowed. “So... we’re going to sit here and wait for them to show up like good little duly appointed law enforcement personnel, and handle everything by the book.” She let out a heavy sigh. “So get him back out of there. He’s going back to his cell.“