The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows: Light

by J. Darksong

2.)

“Afternoon, Katie, lass,” my dad greeted me at the patio door. “Out making the world a better place again?”

“Um, yeah, kinda?” I said, sheepishly. “Nothing major. Some guy tried to rob the jewelry exchange downtown.”

“Aye, I ken,” he said, gesturing to the TV, which showed a news report covering the event. I couldn’t hear the reporter speaking from here, but I could see a very clear shot of me dragging that guy from the building just a few seconds before it collapsed. I winced slightly at the playback; at the time, in the middle of all the action, I hadn’t realized how close it had been. “Richter can be a tough customer, even for those of us with more experience. Are you alright, lass?”

“I’m fine, dad, really,” I said, turning around, giving him a complete look at me. “See? No cuts, bruises, or broken bones.”

“That’s because you were lucky,” Lacie Frasier said disapprovingly, as she entered the room. “And I’m not talking about your Gift. You were lucky that you weren’t crushed to death! What were you thinking, just charging in like that?”

I colored slightly. “I was thinking, ‘Ut oh, people in trouble, bad guy on the loose, better swoop in’. Geez, mom, what’s the problem? I stopped the bad guy, and saved people’s lives, and I didn’t get hurt.”

Lacie’s eyes narrowed. “My problem is that you should have called me or your dad first. Katie... you’re just not ready to deal with someone like that on your own...”

“And I never will be, if you refuse to let me face anyone with any real powers on my own!” I countered, crossing my arms at my chest. “Geez, mom, you and dad have been training me since I could walk! I’m nineteen years old now, I’m about to graduate high school, I even have my driver’s license now—”

“And yet you still can’t drive downtown in the city you were born in without getting lost and calling us for directions,” Dad quipped with a smirk.

“That was just one time!” I almost screamed back. God! You think they would have forgotten about my little driving mishaps by now, after more than a year, but no, they still find reasons to bring up the fact that I’m somewhat directionally challenged. I mean, do I ever bring up the time when Mom parked the car at Wal-Mart and forgot where she parked, trying for ten minutes to figure out why the key wasn’t unlocking the door, before she figured out she was at the wrong car? She’d even forced the door open and sitting INSIDE the car, trying to force the key into the ignition before she looked around and noticed the interior was completely different! But do I bring up the past? No, I do not, thank you very much!

“Dear, you’re NOT helping,” Lacie pointed out with a sigh. “Katie, dear, I’m just trying to say that you need to be careful. You need to THINK a bit more before you act. You don’t have the same powers I have. You’re not super strong. Yes, you’re tougher than a normal girl, but you’re hardly indestructible. And yes, you have your luck, which keeps you out of harm, but even it doesn’t protect you from everything!”

“Your ma is right, mo duinne,” Eugene Frasier chirped in. “There’s no shame in going out with someone else to watch your back. Parker and Veronica have a duo for more years that ye’ve been alive, girl, and they still go out on patrol together. Yer mom is one of the most powerful heroines in the world, and she and I still patrol as a team.”

I rolled my eyes at this. If I believed half of the stories my parents told me about “the good ol’ days”, not only would I never have become a heroine, I most likely would never have left my bedroom. “Okay, okay,” I said finally, reigning in my frustration. “I promise I’ll think before I act from now on, alright? And I won’t go charging in against someone out of my weight class without backup if I can help it.”

Mom glanced over at Dad, who merely shrugged, and I got the feeling that this conversation was going to continue on long after I’d left the room. Still, after a moment, mom let out a deep sigh. “Okay. That’ll work for now. We just want you to be safe, Katie, that’s all.”

“Aye. Sometimes yer best weapon is yer mind, and yer wits. Powers fail, and creative and intelligent foes can figure out ways to neutralize any advantage they may give ye.” Dad placed a hand on my shoulder, squeezing gently. “The best teacher is experience, and no matter how much yer mother and I talk to you, ye’ll never fully understand until you experience it yourself.” He sighed. “I only hope that when the times comes you fare better than we did.”

“Um... okay.” We all sat in silence for several minutes, then I spoke up again. “So... um... me and Jessie and some of our friends were planning to go to the carnival tonight after dinner, if that’s okay? It’s only in town for two more days, and with our classes, and crazy schedules... it’s kind of hard for us all to get together...”

Again, my parents exchanged glances. Mom deferred to Dad, who nodded. “Aye, I suppose so. Frankly, the idea of you doing something normal after hours for a change is a nice change of pace. No costume, no heroics, just you and your friends having fun at the carnival...” He stopped, frowning slightly. “And... exactly WHICH friends will ye be going to the carnival with? Anyone that I know? Boys, perhaps? Yer eighteen after all, Kate,” Dad reminded me yet again, “plenty old enough to start dating... providing the person meets with our approval, of course. I know we both impressed upon you the importance of being a ‘good girl’ growing up, but, well... I was kind of hoping that you’d eventually start developing feelings for boys yer age...”

I rolled my eyes again. “God, Dad! No boys are coming with us! Geez! Do you HAVE to go there every time?”

Most fathers tended to be extremely territorial and protective of their daughter’s virginity, and when I was younger, Daddy was no different. I still remember the time I brought Brian Patterson over to meet my parents when I was fourteen, and he was stupid enough to lean over and kiss me on the cheek. Dad took him into the kitchen and gave him a little ‘talking to’...I don’t know what he told the boy, but Brian promptly left our house, and went back home. He didn’t show up in school for the next three days, and when he finally did, he absolutely refused to come near me, let along talk to me again.

Sometime between my seventeenth and eighteenth birthdays, however, my dad’s views on relationships, and me dating, radically changed. Suddenly, he was concerned about the fact that I didn’t have tons of guy friends, that the boys weren’t lining up to date me, and that I wasn’t beating them off with a stick. Not that I didn’t still get steamy looks or offers from half the guys at school, but for most of my life I’d had it drilled into me that boys were gross, nothing but stupid horndogs that just wanted to get into my pants, and best avoided at all costs. Now, suddenly, out of the blue, he expected me to just forget eighteen years of learned behavior and suddenly find them attractive? Hmph. It would serve him right if I turned out to be a lesbian.

I should, however, point out, in all seriousness, that I didn’t find other girls attractive, either. I mean, I’m not sexless, or anything... I just never really worried about sex or anything. School was challenging and complicated enough as a teenager, as well as being a super hero, and between family life, keeping my secret safe, and squeezing in some time with my closest friends, I didn’t have much energy left to think about dating. And there’s nothing wrong with that! Lots of people wait until their college years before they start fooling around. Until then, I had the ‘present’ Aunt Eva had given me for my sweet sixteenth to keep my happy, and batteries are way cheaper that taking someone out to dinner and a movie.

Rather than debate the pros and cons of dating with my parents, I decided to retreat back to the (relative) safety of my bedroom. I glanced down the hall as habit, noting the lack of light coming from my brother’s doorway. I sighed inwardly. Jimmy seemed to be in one of his moods, lately, and I thought about inviting him to come out to the carnival with me, Jessie and the girls. I also thought about his reply, the way his nose would turn up and his eyes would squint whenever he thought about Jessica, or being in her presence. I really needed to sit down with him sometime and just talk, like we used to. I knew something was bothering him, that he was hurting inside, but every time I tried to go and talk to him, something would come up. Or he wouldn’t be home. I stopped at his door, my hand hovering at the doorknob, hesitating.

What should I say to him? I asked myself. What could I say that I haven’t said to him a hundred thousand times before? As great as my life has been, even with the small trivial dramas we teenagers face, his life was just as bad. My twin brother... my polar opposite on so many ways. Where I am blonde and blue-eyed, he is dark haired and brown-eyed. Where I’m short, thin, and petite, he is tall, barrel-chested, and stocky. And the differences don’t just extend to our looks. Whereas my powers revolve around light, and goodness, his powers are dark, and dangerous. Not evil... but really, there are few uses for an ability to drain away a person’s life essence and spirit with a touch that aren’t truly sinister in nature. Worse yet, whereas I was blessed with a guardian angel, my unnatural good luck—Jimmy was likewise cursed with a cloud of ill fortune that affected not only himself but everyone around us.

I once made the joking remark that he should become a villain, that with his darkness powers he was already better suited to the role. We’d both been joking at the time, laughing and having fun, and I hadn’t intended it as an insult... but the look on his face as the words left my lips... it broke my heart. I love Jimmy more than anyone else in the world, more than my own parents. Spending nine and a half months together in the same womb tends to create a pretty strong bond. And yet... lately, we seemed to be drifting further and further apart each day. As much as I longed to close the gap forming between us, I had no idea how to do it. He was the older brother, after all. He always protected me, was always a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on when I needed it... but now that HE was the one hurting, I felt at a loss on how to comfort him.

Ah, hell, I thought to myself, twisting the doorknob. I’ll think of something. I have to at least let him that he can talk to me about anything if he needs to. I stepped inside the room, then frowned. It was pitch black, as usual. “Jimmy? Jimmy? Are you in here?” I called out. I listened for several minutes, then sighed. If he was in here, he wasn’t making his presence known. I held both my hands out in front of me, focusing my power, creating a small but bright light. A soft angry growl sounded from the corner, and I turned, catching sight of my older brother huddled over next to his desk.

“Dammit, Katie!” he grumbled, lashing out with a shadow tendril, touching the light in my hands. Light and shadow collided, neutralizing each other, sending the room back into darkness. “If I wanted to be bothered, I would have said something when you came in. Hell, I would have had the lights on if I wanted company.” He switched on the small low voltage lamp on the desk, much dimmer than the light I’d conjured, but bright enough that I could now see inside the room once more.

“So, how was I supposed to know that? You ALWAYS have the lights off,” I pointed out. “You come home every day and sit here in the dark, all by yourself. You quit going on patrol with me two years ago, when you graduated from high school, Mr. Wizard. You barely say a word in passing to mom and dad, or even me! We all live in the same house, but this is the first time I’ve seen you in a week!”

“What do you want, Katie?” he asked in that bored, I-don’t-want-to-have-this-conversation tone that seemed to put off most people that didn’t know him as well as I did. I walked over to him, and placed a hand on his shoulder.

“I just wanted to let you know that I’m here for you, Big Brother. I know you’re hurting right now... I know that things suck. You’ve always been there for me when I needed you, and well... I just wanted you to know that I’m here for you, too. If you need me.” I kind of shifted my glance down to the floor blushing. I’ve been called a lot of things, but eloquent was never one of them. There was so much I wanted to say to him... to tell how much he meant to me. To tell him that if I could, I’d trade places with him in a heartbeat if it meant him being happy. That I’d do just about anything to see him smile again.

Maybe sometimes you can say more with a look, or a gesture, than you can with all the words in the dictionary. Jimmy’s hand reached out and grabbed mine, and I turned to face him. The normal look of indifference he usually wore was gone, and his face and eyes were expressive. His lip trembled slightly, and his eyes were moist but not tearing. He nodded once, lightly, and pulled me into a hug. “Thanks, Sis,” he said simply, before releasing me. He didn’t say anything more, but he didn’t have to. He knew what I’d been trying to say, and I knew how deeply grateful he felt for the gesture. I sensed that the loneliness he’d been feeling was eased somewhat just from the knowledge that he wasn’t alone. I may not have fixed whatever problem he was having, but I had at least made it a little easier to bear.

If nothing else good happened today, I could at least feel as if I accomplished something for the greater good. I’d helped my brother feel better.

* * *

“Alright, ladies, let’s load ‘em up, and move ‘em out!” I yelled, grinning widely as I rolled down the window of my Durango.

Jessica, Shani, Casey, Whitney and Valerie all piled into my truck, with Jessie riding shotgun. Rather than risk the embarrassment of calling home to ask for directions, I asked Jessie to find the location on MapQuest and print them out for me. With her navigating, we were off across town in a matter of moments, six girls, footloose and fancy free!

After a few minutes, the girls in the back seat had lit up. Now, I don’t have a problem with smoking, in general. If you wanna pollute your lungs and give yourself cancer all in the name of looking cool, that’s your business. Just don’t include me in your little death ring. I’d just rolled down my window to let in the fresh air when, as expected, the peer pressure started.

“Hey, Katie,” Whitney asked, holding up her pack of cigarettes, “wanna drag?”

“No, thanks.”

The willowy blonde rolled her eyes. “Oh, come on. It’s not going to hurt you. Just have a puff or two... you know, show that you’re part of the group.”

I sighed inwardly. Tobacco wasn’t, technically, a drug, but Whitney reminded me so much of a drug addict trying to push her addiction on someone else. Why is it that people that are into something bad can’t seem to rest until everyone around them is into it as well? Is it some kind of hive mentality? “No, Whitney. You know I don’t smoke. I’ve told you a thousand times! I do not have a problem of you guys smoking around me, or in my car, just don’t try and get me to smoke with you. Alright?”

“Oh, fine,” Casey said, flipping a lock of her dark hair over her shoulder. “Leave Katie alone, Whit.... you know how much of a goody-goody she is. We wouldn’t want to get her all upset with us.”

I bristled slightly at the comment. Yeah, I was a good girl, and all... but I wasn’t a goody-goody! Just because I didn’t smoke or drink like they did, or have a few dozen sexual escapades under my belt, doesn’t make me a prude! I merely sighed, however, and kept my frustration in check. I’d known these girls since I was five years old, and we’d grown up together, but there was a reason why only Jessie knew about my alter-ego as Luminaire. I could TRUST Jessica not to betray that trust at the drop of a hat.

“Knock it off, you guys!” Jessie growled from beside me. “Katie is taking us to the carnival and paying for us to get in. I’d think you guys would be a little bit grateful instead of picking with her, as usual. Keep it up, and she might decide to turn this truck around and dump you all back at home!”

Another reason why I trusted Jessie. She was always quick to defend me when the other girls started in on me. It’s kinda funny... with my mask on, wearing that skintight lycra costume, I have no problem trash-talking with some angry gun-toting criminal, who would just as soon shoot me as look at me, and yet as myself, as Katie, I tended to avoid confrontations with people, even with my closest friends. Mom says it’s because I’m a ‘people pleaser’, because a basic part of my mental makeup revolves around having people like and accept me. I used to think it was just psychobabble non-sense she’d picked up from Auntie Eva, but now I kind of wondered if she was right.

Well, ‘people pleaser’ or not, at least I didn’t give in to peer pressure. Er, well, most of the time, I didn’t.

“I’m really looking forward to hearing the bands perform tonight,” Valerie was saying, cutting into my inner monologue. “Slipstream, The Tygers, and Rip Rock Army are all gonna be performing.”

“Yeah,” Whitney said with a sigh. “I’m just bummed we didn’t get to go last week. Symphonic Nebula was here for three days, and we missed it. They’re over in Midas City this week.”

My ears perked up at that. I actually felt a little bummed out, both in missing the band, but also because Sylvia LaSilvas had been here in my home town on tour and hadn’t bothered to call or say hi, or even let me know she would be in town. True, we’d only hung out a couple of times when mom and dad went to visit her mom, and yeah, we weren’t really cousins by blood or anything... still, it kind of hurt that she would travel all the way here while on tour and not even drop me a line.

Oh well. Part of the perils of fame and fortune, I suppose. I wasn’t really famous, more of a local heroine than anything else, and my double life left me with little time for much of a social life.

Pulling into the parking lot, I retrieved the itinerary we’d pulled from online. “Okay, guys, looks like the eight o’clock show should be about to start at the Pavilion. If we hustle, we can just make it. From there, we’re only a few feet away from the main stage, and Slipstream will be performing about six minutes after the Pavilion act is done—”

“Oh, geez!” Whitney exclaimed. “Don’t tell me you actually have a SCHEDULE of what we’re doing and when? God, Katie, could you possibly be more of a nerd?!?”

“Okay then! Fine!” I said, losing my temper. “If you don’t like my plan, let’s hear yours! How do YOU expect us to see and do everything at the carnival that we want to do in one night without some kind of schedule?”

“Well, for starters, how ‘bout we each go to whatever attraction we want to, when we want to go, and agree to meet up at the gate at closing time?” Whitney said with a sneer. “That way, you and Jessie can go watch all the lame side show attractions while we go listen to the actual COOL bands play.”

“For fuck’s sake!” Jessie yelled, exasperated. “Dammit, Whitney, do you always have to be such a bitch? Katie drove you here, paid your way in, and all you’ve done since you got into the truck is rag on her!”

“What? Just because the little rich girl is paying for me to come to the Carnival, I have to be a wussy suck-up like you?” she retorted angrily. “Hey, I appreciate being brought here, but don’t expect me to act like Katie’s fucking slave just because HER Dad is in the top ten Fortune 500, and my old man drives a bus for a living!” Scowling, turned and stormed off, making her way towards the bandstand, with Val and Shani and Casey following along behind her. I just stood there, staring at them as they walked off, emotionally stunned.

“Oh, Katie,” Jessie said after a moment, hugging me. “Forget what Whitney said. She is bitter because you and your family are doing better than hers. She’s fucking bitch... and the only reason we included her tonight is because Shani and Casey said they refused to leave Whitney home alone while they went out to the Carnival.”

“Yeah,” I said after a moment. “I know. But... well, Casey, Shani, and Valerie... they didn’t say anything. They sided with her... and they went with her when she stormed off. I thought they were my friends...”

Jessie sighed. “They are, Katie, they just... well, Whitney has a really strong personality, yanno? They’ve been around her a lot longer than they’ve been around you or me, and when she’s not around, everything is fine. But when Whitney’s around... it’s like they have no personality, no will of their own. It’s like they just go along with whatever she says... like they’re hypnotized or something.” She shrugged. “At any rate, let’s just forget about them for now, and go have some fun.”

I smiled softly. Jess always knew how to lift my spirits. “Speaking of which... the program shows Madame Mysterio is performing a hypnosis show over in the Quad area. That’s not too far from where we are right now. Wanna go check it out?”

“Hypnosis show?” Jessie said, frowning. “You mean that fake put-on they do every year? Sounds boring.”

“Fake? No way. Hypnosis it real, Jessie. My Aunt Eva is a psychologist, and she uses it on her patients now and again.”

“Yeah, yeah, but I doubt your Aunt goes around putting on lively shows in front of a bunch of rowdy people making them bark like dogs or act like they’re naked in church.” She rolled her eyes. “I went to the Hypnosis Show the past three years running, and it’s always the same nine or ten people that go up on stage every year. They do get a few new ones that go up on state, every now and again, but usually the hypnotist taps them on the shoulder and sends them back to the audience, saying that they ‘didn’t go deep enough’ for the kind of antics she intended.”

I shrugged. I’d never seen the show before, and frankly I was curious. Mom had told me quite a few stories about her adventures, a large part of which seemed to revolve around mind control. And from some of the stories I’d heard from Auntie Sarah over in Midas City, nearly half of her life as a heroine had been spent either as a brainwashed victim or as an avenger, using her sparks to turn the bad guys’ brains to mush. I’d never been hypnotized myself, but the thought of it... of having my control taken away from me... it made my tummy tickle.

“C’mon, Jess!” I said, using my whiny begging voice. She grunted, rolling her eyes, a sure signal that she was going to give in, but was not quite ready to capitulate. “Please?” I added, batting my eyes. “I’ve never seen it before, and I wanna? C’mon, bestest-best-friend? Paaahhhhlleeeeaase??” I said, batting my eyes again. Laughing at my antics, she agreed, and we set off for the Quad, the small stone amphitheater set up near the south gate.

We got good seats, one row away from the front, and settled in to enjoy the spectacle. Jessie tried to play it off, as if she wasn’t excited about the upcoming show, but I could tell she was looking forward to it. “Look! There, three rows back... that guy in the light blue shirt and navy blue ball cap. He’s one of them.”

“One of who?”

“One of the regulars I mentioned. He’s one of the guys that goes up on stage every year to be ‘hypnotized’” she said, enquoting the word with her fingers. “Oh, and that girl in the red Chiefs shirt, in the very back row? She’s one of them, too.” She shook her head. “Mark my words, Katie, before the night is over, the so-called ‘Madame Mysterio’ will have both of them up on stage, putting them through their paces.”

I smirked. “Well, if you’re so convinced it’s all fake, why don’t YOU volunteer to go up on stage?”

Jessie blinked. “Me? Ah, no... uh uh. No way. I get stage fright... you know that! I’m not getting up in front of all of these people and making a fool out of myself!”

“You’ll only look like a fool if she manages to hypnotize you,” I countered. “Besides, are you really afraid of being embarrassed... or are you afraid that it’s REAL, and that she might actually be able to make you do anything she wants up there?”

Now, Jessica DuMont has one fatal flaw. She is stubborn to a fault, and will never, ever back down when pushed. Even when she knows she’s wrong, even when it’s obvious that she’s wrong, she just can’t back out. Needless to say, she has gotten into a lot of jams because of that tendency, which girls like Whitney and her crew tend to take advantage of. As her best friend, I usually tried to reign her in, and keep her from sticking her foot in her mouth, but tonight, with the prospect of getting her up onto the stage at hand, I intended to be the one doing the goading for a change.

Jessica’s eyes narrowed, and her jaw set firmly. “Hypnosis is a bunch of bullshit,” she said resolutely, digging herself deeper. “It exists only in comic books, TV, and online stories. Trust me, if I went up on that stage, the only thing that would happen is that she’d get bored after a few minutes and ut ask me to return to my seat.”

“Then you have nothing to lose by going up there,” I pointed out smugly, crossing my arms. “So, how about it? Time to put up or shut up, Jessie. What’s it gonna be?”

The dark haired girl sighed deeply, muttering under her breath as she closed her eyes for a moment. “Fine. I’ll go up on stage and prove my point. But... only if you go up with me.”

That caught me by surprise. “What? Me?”

“Yeah. You,” she said, pointing a finger at my chest. “Don’t tell me the big bad super hero is afraid of some weirdo swinging a gold pocket watch?”

I considered for a moment. It wasn’t like I was actually SCARED or anything. Far from it! But, well... not that I paid attention to all of my parents stories growing up, or anything, but there is quite a bit of a history of incidents in my family. Not to mention that Auntie Sarah’s magic helped in my being born, and there’s a definite tendency of succumbing to hypnotic control in HER family. The thought of willingly submitting myself to the whims of some stage performer left me really uneasy. Unlike Jessica, I KNEW hypnosis was real. What if I actually went under? What if she asked me my name and I blurted out my secret identity by mistake?

“Okay, I’ll go,” my mouth spoke the words before I even realized it. The fluttery feeling in my stomach returned, stronger than before, and I shifted in my seat, rubbing my thighs together. I knew this was a bad idea... a really bad idea. But... the thought of having my control stripped away, even though it was such a BAD idea... felt so GOOD! I found myself feeling equal parts anticipation and dread as the lights finally went down, and the curtain parted.

“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen,” the hypnotist said through her microphone as she stepped out onto the stage. “Thank you for all coming out tonight. My name is Dr. Josephine Rosenquist, respected therapist by day, but at night I am known as Madame Mysterio, and in a few moment, my friends, I will show you why!” She smirked, brushing away a long strand of golden blonde hair from her face. “I hope you’re all having a good time here tonight at the spring carnival, because we’re going to see if we can keep the good times rolling! Now... who wants to know what it feels like to be hypnotized?”

I couldn’t speak. The words just wouldn’t come out. All I could do was stare at the woman talking on stage, smiling and chatting with the crowd. She’d said her name was Josephine Rosenquist. That was good. It was nice to be able to put a name to the face. And I knew her face well enough. I’d nearly gotten myself flattened earlier today trying to save her from one really pissed off super powered jewelry store robber.

My hypnotist was the cute blonde woman I’d save earlier today!