The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows 9: Incandescent Supernova Ascension

by J. Darksong & Baltimore Rogers

* * *

Ch.5) Coming Undone

Whew. Who knew trying to change the world could be so tiring?

Arriving back at the Prentiss Mansion, I sighed wearily, stopping by the kitchen to grab a quick bite before heading straight to my bedroom. I’d been pretty much burning the candle at both ends trying to move the Plan forward, spending my days as Luminaire, coordinating with the warden and prison personnel to enact my ‘rehabilitation’ project, as well as the local police and city council, making sure everything was completely legal and above board. At least on the surface. My nights were spent scouring the city, tracking down the other Supers not yet a part of my cabal and converting their loyalties as well. It was tiring, mostly thankless work, but I was finally starting to see results. The latest statistics showed crime in River City has dropped to an all time low of three percent. Most major super villains were either now part of my team, working to stop, capture and convert their former comrades, or in hiding, too scared to bother with any criminal activity for fear of being caught as well.

The day before, I’d flown a patrol of River City Memorial Park, an area so bad that parents refused to let their kids play there, and with the monuments, benches and landmarks so covered in graffiti, that no one but gangs and drug dealers even went there. To my pleasant surprise, a number of people were hard at work cleaning up and restoring the park, painting over the graffiti and even tending to the landscaping by planting flowers and bushes. When I asked, it seemed that with crime at an all time low, the mayor had given permission to some of the local middle and high schools to restore the park as a school project.

It’s actually working, Jess, I thought gratefully, as I slipped naked into the shower. My crazy half-assed plan is actually working. In a matter of days now, River City will be the kind of place where everyone can feel safe... where no one will ever die from some crazed gunman with a vendetta. Closing my eyes, I let my mind drift and the hot steamy water take me back again to happier times.

I’d been having trouble sleeping. Part of why I’d been working at such breakneck speed to put the Plan into action was that I simply didn’t want to sleep. The nice dream I’d had last night was the exception, not the rule. During the weeks I’d spent sharing a bed with Tawnya, Sioban, and Constance... and a few times with Angela and Delores, who I loved like a true big sister, I’d slept soundly, and peacefully. The few times I’d drifted off into bad dreams, a soft kiss or caress, or just a touch from one of them would clear the storm clouds away. With them all gone, however, the nightmares had returned in full force. A small amount of dust at night helped even me out, and kept the dreams from getting too bad, for the most part, but I felt so guilty about using it that the guilt had started to manifest itself in my dreams as well.

I was starting to crack under the strain. I knew it. My outburst at Robotica the other night when she mentioned Jessica’s name only demonstrated again how on edge I was. I wasn’t sleeping well, or often, and I was needing more and more dust to keep going. It was a recipe for disaster, I knew... but I had no choice. I had to last just a few more days, to keep things going and secure the final few people I needed for my Plan to succeed. Then I could rest. Then I could just let go and relax and sleep and know that things had progressed to the point where it would continue on without my direct supervision. I sighed pleasantly at that thought. By the time Sioban and the others returned, it would be home to the perfect Utopia she had helped me create.

She’d probably still be pissed about my eyes, though, I thought sadly, my naturally blue clear irises stained nearly completely dark slate grey. Well... maybe not upset. More likely, disappointed... which would be even worse. Still... I’ll take any kind of punishment she chooses to deal out. I’m only doing it because I have to, not because I want to. I’m just.... doing what’s necessary. Yes. What’s necesssary...

I jerked awake a few minutes later, nearly toppling over, having fallen asleep dead on my feet in the shower. Sighing softly, I stepped out and dried myself. Okay. This is getting ridiculous. I’m no good to any one like this. I’m going to bed. The world can wait one more day while I recharge my batteries. Slipping underneath the covers, I closed my eyes and was asleep almost instantly.

* * *

Karen Summers was in heaven.

Thighs clenched tightly, her hair flew in all directions as she whipped her head back and forth in a savage frenzy of pleasure, her naked breasts heaving, and her fingers and toes clenched into tight little fists. Sweat poured off her body like raindrops, and she panted like a bellows, trying to catch her breath even as it was torn brutally from her lips the very next instant. Eyes wide, she stared up at the ceiling, seeing nothing through the blazing fireworks exploding inside her brain.

“GAAWWDDEESSS!! YEEESSS! OHH FUUUCKK MEE YEESSS!!” she screamed with complete and total abandon, riding her dark skinned lover for all she was worth, begging him to take her even higher, to fuck her harder, HARDER, and use her like the wanton little slut she was! She was no virgin, certainly no spring chicken. She’d been around the block more than a few times, and had been with a multitude of men, and women, in her day. She was no stranger to good sex. But the sensations and emotions Darryl Jeffries was evoking from her were on a whole different level. As his cock rammed into her again for the umpteenth time, she was convinced that he wasn’t simply fucking her needy, sex-staved body.

He was fucking her very soul.

“AAHHH! AAHHH!! AAHHH! AAHHH!” she screamed with each thrust, starting to glow slightly, losing control of her powers. Hell, she could barely even remember her own NAME at this point! And still, her stallion, her dynamo, continued to pump away, drilling her like a machine, relentless and utterly unstoppable.

“One more,” he whispered into her ear, his own breath as ragged as hers. How he had resisted cumming a half dozen times now himself, she had no idea. She knew they’d been going for at least half an hour before she’d simply lost track of everything. She’d bedded athletes that had passed out cold by this time, and yet somehow this human Adonis was still going strong. “One more,” he breathed again. “Come on, sugar... you can do it... cum for me just once more...”

She wanted to resist. She wanted to feel HIM cum now, wanted him to experience a bit of the onslaught of pleasure he’d given her. But as in everything else that had happened this night, he was in control. Her body was his, and as she reached her peak yet again for the eight time tonight, she had just enough presence of mind to ponder the fact that her heart was his as well.Letting loose, she clenched tightly, gripping him with her inner muscles, needing, desperate to feel him let go, needing it more than food or water or air. “GGaaaaawwwddd! Cum with me, cumwithmepleeeeaaaeeee!” she keened, feeling him stiffen against her, feeling that familiar telltale trembling that signalled release. Hanging on to consciousness by a thread, she rolled her hips, clenching and unclenching her pussy muscles as much as she could... and was finally rewarded as he came inside her with a loud lion’s roar!

“Yyeeeesssssss!!!” he groaned, his hands tightening around her shoulders, even as he felt his orgasm ignite hers yet again. He gasped and sighed, panting, using his free hand to catch himself as his strength failed him, and he collapsed forward. He rolled gently to the side to keep from crushing the smaller woman, who, it seemed had passed out on him. Easing out of her gently, he propped his head up on his arm to stare at her, sleeping peacefully, a beautific smile on her beautiful face.

Holy hell... that was... amazing, he thought dimly, smiling himself. That was almost biblical. I’ve never felt such a connection to anyone in my life. It’s kind of cliche, but for a moment there, I felt so connected with her that it felt like we were the same person. He lay back, staring up at the ceiling. I’ll admit it. I was always a bit jealous of Mr. Grimalde, the way he had such sweet loving and beautiful woman around him all the time. He and Patricia... they were just so special, like the missing parts of each other’s souls. And yet, the others, Angela, Delores, Constance, Sioban, and Tawnya... they were all just as deeply connected to him as Patricia. He sighed again, wondering idly about his ‘family’, wondering how they were doing without him.

Hopefully, they’re all together, exploring that mythical, mystical wonderland they’d been talking about with the Frasiers. he mused. Heh. Never would have imagined that. From bitter enemies to best buddies. It’s amazing sometimes how much things can change in just a few days... how one experience can totally destroy your entire world... and how another can put it back together even better than it was before.

He was certainly no stranger to that. Tawnya had lost her family, and he’d lost his best friend, all within the space of a few minutes, a terrible car accident caused by some unknown Supers battling it out in the air above the Interstate. He’d broken his legs, had damaged them to the point where the doctors told him he’d never play football again. His dream of a college scholarship, of one day playing in the NFL, had died then. His future was gone, vanished, crushed to dust and blown away in the wind. And then, miraculously, a new beginning, an offer from a local billionaire philanthropist, and a job as his personal valet and chauffer. Not exactly what he’d pictured doing for the rest of his life, but it was a start. He’d accepted, and in turn, had been accepted into the rich man’s family. He, and Tawnya both, who joined them shortly thereafter, still dealing with her own loss, but looking to make new start as well.

And now I can’t even imagine life without them, he thought ruefully, glancing at the lovely blonde next to him. And after just a few weeks, I feel the same way about Karen. If she told me tomorrow that she was leaving, that this was fun, but that she’d made a mistake, or had found someone else... Darryl swallowed painfully at the thought. I don’t know what I’d do. I’d be devstated...

“Hey.”

He glanced over to find Karen staring at him sidelong, still smiling. “What’s with the serious look? I came awake to see you just staring at me, running your hand along my thigh, and I just played possum... not wanting to disturb you. But now... just a moment ago, your smile left and you looked so sad. What’s wrong?”

Darryl chuckled softly, shaking his head. “It’s nothing. Really. Just deep brooding thoughts.”

Reaching over on the night stand, Karen picked up a penny from her the stack of change that had spilled out of her purse earlier and dropped it lightly onto Daryl’s naked chest. “A penny for your thoughts, handsome?” she asked playfully. “C’mon. Spill. You have something on your mind, and I wanna know what it is.”

Closing his eyes, he considered briefly lying, or making light of it... then pushed the notion aside. He cared for her too much to ever lie to her. He had been meaning to broach the subject with her for a while now, he’d just never knew how to start it. Now, it seemed, he had been given his opening. “Karen,” he began hesitantly, “I... that is...” He let out a breath and started again. “These past weeks have been great. Really great. The best I’ve ever had.”

“Yeah, me too,” she agreed, nodding, feeling a strange fluttering in her stomach. He seems nervous. And he’s NEVER nervous. Since I’ve known him, he’s been the calm and composed one, and I’ve been the basketcase. Is he... is he going to break up with me? Oh god... was the sex that bad? I mean... it was good for me, but it took him forever to cum... maybe it wasn’t good. Maybe I’ve been too needy, too demanding...and he’s tired of it! The thought of not being with him shook her to her core, and her hands clenched tightly.

“The thing is,” Darryl continued, looking away for a moment, missing the pained expression on her face. “I’ve been thinking... well... about us. About where we are... and where we’re going from here. I’m thinking about our.... our future.”

“Oh god...” she murmured, turning away, not wanting him to see as the tears began to form. “You’re... breaking up with me, aren’t you?”

“Yes, I was just... wait. What?” Darryl asked, whirling back around. “Breaking up with you? No! NO! Of course not!” he said, alarmed, grabbing her by the shoulder, forcing her to look at him. “Why would you say that? No, I don’t want that... I was just thinking of how wonderful it is having you in my life! I don’t want you to go! I want you to stay!”

Karen stared at him in disbelief for a moment, before her smile reappeared. “You... you meant it? You... want me to stay?”

“I do. Karen... I love you,” Darryl admitted shyly, blushing so furiously it showed on even his dusky complexion. “I love you. So very much. If anything, I was scared that YOU would want to leave ME. After all, what am I to you? I’m valet, a chauffer—” His protesting was cut off as Karen pushed him down hard to the bed, straddling him as she pressed her lips against his, kissing him deeply.

“Oh, Darryl, you wonderful wonderful man,” she laughed, tears running heedless down both cheeks. “I love you too! I love you so much I think I just might explode from it!” She kissed him again. “And I don’t care about your job, or anything like that. I have more than enough money for us to love on, if need be. But, I wouldn’t ask you to leave the Grimaldes... I know how you feel about them. They’re your family. And, well... the horny old man isn’t so bad. He kind of grows on you after a while, once you get to know him.” She sighed softly. “Actually... my partner Elise... she’s been bugging me to go ahead and commit... to move here to River City permanently. And, well... maybe it’s time that I did just that.”

“You’d really do that?” he asked, smiling again. “Pack up and leave Silver City behind to move here with me?”

“In a heartbeat, if you’d have me,” Karen blurted out, before blushing, considering her choice of words. “Well, I mean, you’ve already had me,” she said shyly, “but, well, you know what I mean. Not that I’m rushing you or anything,” she said hastily as he stared at her. “I’m not pushing to move in together or anything. I can always get an apartment nearby, and come by to vis—“

This time, her protests were the ones cut off as her lover kissed her into silence. “I’d have to clear it with Mr. Grimalde first, mind,” Darryl said gently, staring into her clear blue eyes, “but I don’t think it will be a problem. But yes, I’d love to have you here, for as long as you’d like.”

“Well,” Karen replied softly as well, wrapping her arms around the man she loved, “I wouldn’t stay TOO too long. Only... just the rest of my life.”

* * *

I have got to get out of this crazy city, Larissa Fredrickson thought to herself.

The past few days had been fairly quiet and uneventful. The search for her had pretty much tapered off, with law enforcement believing she had left the city, heading back to her home port of call. As a result, she’d been able to venture out into the city with relative ease to get the necessary supplies she required for her new mecha, as well as a few things to make her stay at the abandoned factory more pleasant and enjoyable. Her special alloys had even arrived in from LA without any problems, and construction of her ultimate weapon was proceeding on schedule.

No... the problem was that this entire city was becoming something out of the Stepford Wives!

She’d spent more than a few weeks living in River City now, had gotten used to the tempo and rhythm of the burg, and even made a few contacts within the criminal underworld. And maybe it was because she was basically an outsider that she could see clearly with unclouded eyes how much things had changed. Not only had crime dropped virtually to zero, people in general were acting nice and kind towards each other. People were stopping to talk to one another in the streets or at the store, waving to strangers, and just being generally friendly with one another. Which was all well and good in a small town, like Mayberry, back in the fifties, with Sheriff Andy and Barney upholding the law. But this was a major metropolitan city with more than a hundred thousand people all living within the same space! Such congeniality wasn’t simply unnatural, it was IMPOSSIBLE!

Something freaky weird is going on here, she thought to herself as she welded yet another plate into place, checking the connections with the joint, making sure the motion was not in any way impeded. And whatever it is, I need to get out of here before it starts affecting me too. She shuddered at the thought—her, dressed in a bright pink dress, her curly blonde hair styled in an old style bouffant, wearing an apron, standing in front of a house with a white picket fence holding a tray of freshly baked cookies.

Ugh. Note to self. Set up a subroutine to fire missiles at my location if that scenario EVER comes to fruition.

Finishing the welding, she moved over to the conveyor belt controls and activated the hoist lift, sending the huge mecha’s skeletal structure moving down the line into place. Hmmm... looking good. Another day, two at the most, and this bad boy will be ready to tear up the town. Heh... literally! Glancing down at the schematic again, she checked to make sure the new adjustments she’d added were in place. After her inglorious defeat, she didn’t plan on taking any chances.

This power negation field is still experimental, but it doesn’t need to work for very long. If that robotic reject manages to put up a fight, this field should drain her batteries down to critical. And as for the pretty little birdy... my hyper gravity ray should ground her and make it impossible for her to lift off. Let’s see her try a bunch of aerial gymnastics and agile moves when she weights eight hundred pounds!

Satisfied with her arrangements, she made her way over to the mecha’s arm turrets, where she intended to install the last of her special weapons. Along with the alterations her special metal alloy provided, this last addition would be just what she needed to put the nail in Luminaire’s coffin...if it worked. Theoretical in nature, there was an equal chance it would simply explode, tearing a hole in the fabric of the universe and creating a miniature black hole.

Yes, but, well... no pain no gain, she told herself a few minutes later, as she finished integrating it into the mecha’s weapon systems. Installed moments later, she activated the power, and fired off a test blast, noting with glee as the ray fired as predicted. All right! This crazy anti-particle cannon really DOES work! And I’m still alive! Hahaha... I’m truly a genius! Let’s see little miss ‘brighter than a thousand suns’ shake off THIS weapon! Laraby may have been a evil despicable low-life bastard, but he was STILL my brother. And I’m not leaving this city until I get revenge for what you did to him.

* * *

“You know, I kind of feel like Luke in the second Star Wars movie,” Connie quipped, eyes closed, floating in midair, legs folded into a lotus position, while she lifted and floated objects of various sizes about the room. “I keep expecting one of you to tell me ‘Unlearn, unlearn you must’, and ‘Feel the Force flowing through you’ in a high pitched squeaky voice.”

Anastasia sighed, rolling her eyes. “You know, Nigel, I blame you for this. It’s your influence, I know it. You’re the big movie buff in your group.”

The billionaire merely chuckled. “I’ll claim responsibility for a lot, Mz. Albinn.” he quipped back, “but dear Constance was already a bit of a movie buff before I’d even met here. True, I recommended a few ‘essentials’ that every true connoisseur of fine films should see, but the original Star Wars trilogy wasn’t one of them.”

“Hey, can we focus here, people?” Evangeline groused, crossing her arms. “I’d like this test to be over before my student is too fatigued to handle MY part of the training. Yesterday, you complained that I wore her out and she wasn’t able to properly focus for telekinesis training, so today I let you go first. Now, you’re putting her through the proverbial wringer before I even get the chance to work with her, and she won’t have enough strength left to defend the psychic assault of a two year old!”

“Really? I disagree,” Nigel said, pointing at the girl. “Look at her, Eva. Really look at her. She seems really calm and composed right now. Her focus might be a bit lacking,” causing Connie’s grin to fade slightly, “but she’s handling everything you two have put her through and then some. It’s like you said in the beginning... it’s like exercising a muscle you didn’t know you had. Constance has become much stronger and more adept that she was in the beginning. Frankly, considering her level of skill when all this began, and that she’d had no formal training before you two, I’d have to say, from an outsider’s perspective, that her progress has been nothing short of astounding.”

“Eeeeeaahhh!” Constance cried out as she suddenly fell, landing hard on her butt, the number of small balls, rocks, and cans clattering to the ground around her. “Owie... that stings,” she commented, rubbing her tush. Nigel merely sighed.

“And then she goes and proves me wrong,” he murmured, shaking his head as the twin blondes chuckled.

“Actually, that was expected,” Anastasia said after a moment. “It’s part of why I asked you to sit in and watch her train. Connie is a remarkably gifted psychic, despite her power level. She’s very quick to learn and adapt, much faster than my sister and I were growing up. Really, the only thing she has trouble with now is focusing. I’m trying to teach her to split her focus in multiple directions at once and still be able to focus herself, and not give way to distraction.” She smirked. “And since YOU are always first and foremost of her mind, I figured what better distraction to use then her suave, deboinaire lover and boss?”

“Hmmm... clever,” Nigel admitted with admiration, “though I wonder if I should take offense as being used as a mere distraction despite the flattery.”

“She was actually doing quite well, despite your presence,” Eva pointed out. “She was obviously acutely aware you were watching her, and doing her very best to impress you. And it wasn’t until you praised her that she lost her composure and her control.”

Constance walked over, still rubbing her butt lightly. “Are we done for today? Please tell me we’re done?”

“Yes, dear, we’re done for now,” Ana replied with a grin. “Unfortunately, that’s we, as in you and I. You still have a lesson with my dear sister.” The petite Asian girl let out a groan.

“Now, now,” Eva chided, walking up to the girl, slapping her lightly on the butt, “no complaining. You might be a real whiz kid with telekinesis, but you still need to work on telepathy a bit more. You can still be sharper, more precise. Now, let’s get at it.” She chuckled softly. “At least with my training you won’t be landing hard on your butt.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Constance grumbled, taking a deep cleansing breath, “but Ana’s training doesn’t leave me with a killer migraine for the rest of the day...”

Chuckling softly, Ana turned to Nigel. “I don’t think they’ll need you for this part. Besides, without psychic senses to know what’s actually happening, it’s pretty boring to watch. Would you like to accompany me back to the house?”

“Certainly,” Nigel replied, extending an arm. “I have a few matters to attend to myself once we get back.”

“You mean the incident back at your factory?” At Nigel’s sharp look, she laughed again, shaking her head. “No, Nigel, I didn’t read your mind. We don’t do that without permission. No, I figured it out the old fashioned way... by eavesdropping on your conversation with Eugene last night. Besides, it’s not as if it’s top secret or anything—we’re all friends now, after all.” Nigel merely sighed deeply.

“True, true. Still, old habits die hard. Besides which, the issue of security, or in this case, the lack thereof, is at the heart of the matter. All things considered, I owe my thanks to young Katherine yet again. Apparently she helped my new head of security stop a cat burglar from breaking into the vault containing the data on all of my current projects.” He expression turned dark, as he considered how Manx could have gotten the information to slip so deep inside his factory past his automated defenses. Apparently, it was time for another personnel turnover. “I shudder to think what would have happened if that cat girl had managed to gain access.”

He scowled, resisting the urge to clench his fists and give in to his frustration. The old him would have never been so blind as to allow something like this to happen. He would have foreseen such a possibility and planned accordingly. If there was one that he absolutely HATED it was being caught off guard. “As much as I’m enjoying my time here, I still feel like this is a wasted trip. I’d wanted to see Yggdrasil myself, with my own eyes. Instead, I’m stuck here, twiddling my thumbs, waiting around while the others explore the promised land, resigned to hear about afterwards and watch the damned slide show.”

Anastasia squeezed his hand gently. “I know how you feel. Frankly, I wanted to go too... but Eva was insistent on staying with her Master when she found out that Eugene couldn’t go, and I stayed behind to keep them both company and help train Constance.” She shrugged. “Besides, it’s not as if we won’t have a chance to go later on anyway. And though you’re feeling a bit put our, we both know you would have come even if you had known for sure beforehand that you couldn’t cross over... just to be here for Patty and the others.”

“I’d forgotten how annoying it can be talking to a psychic,” Nigel replied ruefully. “You can never win an argument, because you lot always know the answers to everything.”

They chuckled for a bit, then Ana let out a soft sigh. “Hmm? What is it?” Nigel asked. “Did I touch a nerve?”

“No, not really,” Anastasia replied, glancing away. “And for the record, being psychically gifted doesn’t automatically mean you have all the answers. I’m just... feeling a bit... unsure of myself.” She sighed again, and when after a moment or two Nigel merely stood, waiting patiently for her to continue, she did so.

“My main power is my telekinesis, as you already know,” she said slowly. “It’s my strongest ability. My telepathy is remarkably weak in comparison, at about the same level as Connie’s is now. My second strongest gift, however, is also my most unpredictable one... my foresight. I saw some things, flashes of things, really, that are going to happen... and I don’t know how to deal with what I saw.”

“Foresight,” Nigel replied, considering. “You mean seeing the future. That’s an actual gift? I always thought that a bunch of baloney, like reading palms, or tea leaves.”

“It’s real enough,” Ana assured him, “though there are certainly enough charlatans out there giving true psychics a bad name that it’s hard to tell the difference. Generally speaking, the fake ones are the ones that charge money for their visions.” Her lips twisted in distaste. “And having visions of the future isn’t all it’s cracked up to be either. You can’t really control it... the future shows itself to you in its own way and on its own time. Sometimes you get a series of images. Sometimes it’s a momentary flash, a single image frozen in time. Sometimes it’s like a dream, and you’re actually living it, experiencing it, walking though it as if it’s really happening, only to suddenly snap back to reality. The thing is, it’s rarely ever what you think it is. Seeing the future is like interpreting an abstract painting: the image is clear enough, but figuring out what it means is the challenge.”

Nigel nodded, understanding the concept. “I see. So, is it possible to change the future then? If you know something is coming, can you act on your knowledge to prevent the event from happening? Or is the future immutable, and fixed, so that nothing you do can cause change the outcome?”

Anastasia smiled. “There are... competing theories on that one. Personally, I think Lacie and her Sisters would be the ones to ask. They’re the authorities. Compared to them, I’m just a novice. But from my experience, the future CAN be changed. It takes a lot of effort, and sometimes things happen that get in the way of those changes. Sometimes, trying to stop an event actually sets it into motion. It’s difficult to know which moves are the right ones until the moment actually arrives.”

“I see. And about this event you ‘saw’... this thing that has you concerned. What is it exactly?”

“It’s...” she began, only to falter. “Ohh... it’s kind of hard to explain. A lot of things happening at once... some of which I’m not even sure are real... like an old enemy from the past popping up again out of nowhere... or the world being destroyed by the sweetest nicest person I know... or, um...” there she blushed heatedly, as the last image returned to her vividly. “Umm... never mind. Maybe I should just forget it... just forget the conversation even happened. I mean, nothing is set in stone, right?” She laughed nervously, trying to play it off but Nigel wouldn’t hear of it.

“Come now, Anastasia. Tell me what it is. You can’t start a conversation hinting at gloom and doom... and possiby the end of the world, then wave it off as being of no consequence. Even if it turns out you’re mistakem I wish to know what you saw. As you yourself said, we’re all friends now, right? No need to keep secrets.” He gave her a sardonic grin. “Besides, you started this conversation, you obviously wanted to talk about it. So go ahead and let it out. You’ll feel better once you get it off your chest.”

“I... I had a vision,” she said, finally, staring down at her feet. “Of me. And... Eugene.” she swallowed, closing her eyes. “We... we were... together.” She swallowed again. “Intimately together.” Nigel blinked at that. “We were having sex... and he was standing, taking me from behind. He was standing, on his own power. So, whatever happened to his legs, someone must have found a way to cure him.“

“Well... that’s... a good thing, right?” Nigel said awkwardly, not sure of exactly how to respond. “Eugene, back on his feet, I mean.” He paused to consider. “But as for you and he... are you sure it was you? I mean, you have a twin sister. You might have been seeing Evangeline—”

“I did see Eva,” Anastasia interrupted, shaking her head. “She was there in the vision as well... she was staring, shocked, like she’d just walked in on us...” She blushed hotly at the admission, but not that she’d started, the words just seemed to tumble out. “Gene was, ah, umm.... taking me from behind... while I moaned and sighed and tried my best to caress and rub against him, encouraging him to take me harder, deeper, and faster...” She stopped, reddening even more, shaking her head as her own words got her flustered. “It just... it makes no sense! For one thing, this event, it happens soon. Very soon. As in a few days time. And unless you and he have been secretly working on some kind of miracle cure and I didn’t notice, I can’t see how that would be possible.”

Nigel went slightly pale. “Um, actually, we have been tinkering around with a project or two, while not a cure per se, would help with mobility—”

“And for another,” Anastasia continued, heedless, still blushing from her idea, “In the vision, the dream, the.. whatever it was... I was totally smitten! I was writhing like a cheap wanton slut, so deeply in love and lust that I couldn’t even think straight! Which, again, is crazy! I don’t love Eugene Frasier. I like him as a friend, yes, but I have absolutely NO romantic feelings for him whatsoever! I’m actually a little, well, peeved at the fact that he is with my sister...”

Nigel sighed softly at that. He was hardly one to scoff at what someone might consider an unlikely match. He loved his girls deeply, utterly, profoundly, and they loved him in turn just as much, yet sometimes it still boggled his mind that any of them had chosen to stay with him after everything he had done. He knew Eugene felt the same way about Evangeline choosing to be with him, as well as Lacie’s acceptance and welcome of her. And yet, in all of their cases, meeting under normal circumstances, he was relatively sure none of them would have ever developed the relationships they now enjoyed.

“Well, as you put it yourself earlier, I’m hardly an expert on the subject,” Nigel replied stoically, “certainly not like the folks we travelled all this way to visit... but in MY experience, if something is meant to be, then fate has a way of making it happen... usually in very dramatic and unexpected ways. I wouldn’t have pegged Frasier as the type to form his own harem, either... but then again, a year ago I never expected to be friends with the man, spending time together at his chateau, while our wives are out together having an adventure in a mythical wonderland in another dimension.”

Ana sighed. “You... make a good point. our world is a very large, very crazy place... with gods, demons, vampires and super heroes. And psychics, too, I suppose. Who’s to say anything is truly impossible?” She sighed again, considering. So... what does this mean about the other visions I had then? Are they also equally possible?

* * *

“Okay, good, Much better. You lasted much longer this time.”

“Gee, thanks ‘Teach’,” Connie grumbled softly, reaching down to retrieve her discarded clothes. She’d long since stopped feeling embarrassed about being naked around the older blonde, but it didn’t make losing this little contest of wills any more annoying. As a test of her mental acuity, she’d been tasked with a two prong mission: to shield her own mind from mental invasion while simultaneously trying to break through Eva’s defenses to implant a simple command into her subconscious. The exercise was friendly enough, nothing invasive or permanent, just a simply low-level command to force the other to remove an article of clothing. They’d been playing this ‘game’ for more than an hour so far, and this was the second time Connie had been rendered naked, while Eva sat calmly, and, aside from missing one of her long white boots, still fully clothed.

“I still say it’s not fair. You’re a stronger telepath than I am. You have an unfair advantage!”

“I know, sweetling,” Eva said gently. “But that’s the point. Most of the opponents you would typically find yourself facing would be stronger than you. This exercise is to strengthen your defense and offense to the point where you can hold your own against an opponent. You’re getting better each time we do this. See?” she added, extending her leg, wiggling her pale bare foot at her. “This time, I lost a shoe. The time before, I didn’t lose anything. You’re getting better at this.”

“Yes, well, maybe if we were playing a ‘different’ type of game,” Connie said smirking, “maybe the shoe would be on another foot entirely.”

Eva chuckled, rolling her eyes. “Oh, dear... I see my niece has been an entirely bad influence on you.” Sighing a bit, she paused, thinking of something. “Connie, you have been spending a bit of time with Katherine lately, haven’t you?”

“Um, yeah, a little now and then,” she replied, suddenly wary, “though not as much as Tawnya and Sioban. Why do you ask?”

Eva blinked, a little surprised by her reaction. “Well, I’m worried about her. Her Mom and Dad too. Since the funeral, she’s been acting, well... strangely. I mean, surely you’ve noticed? She still smiles and laughs and jokes around, acts like she’s okay, that she’s come to terms with losing Jess... but it never quite seems sincere. Like when you smile and act polite with someone you can’t stand just because you know its expected of you.” She sighed in frustration. “I’ve known Katie all her life. I used to change her diapers. And the girl I talked to after the funeral was not the Katie Frasier I knew. It was almost like she was... someone else masquerading as her...”

Don’t trust her! “Well, um, of course she’d be a little different after everything she’s been through,” Connie pointed out, still feeling unusually anxious. “You don’t lose the love of your life in such a violent way and NOT end up changed by it.“

“I know... but that’s my point. The way she’s acting... it’s unnatural. She’s acting as if everything is fine and dandy, but she hasn’t truly dealt with what happened.” She sighed. “There are five stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. She went through denial when it happened, the shock of Jess dying in front of her very eyes. It took a while for it to actually sink in. Anger? Yes, she’s had that. In spades! Depression? I’m pretty sure the suicide attempts cover that. And the whole idea of trying to convince your boss to make her into his slave to mask the pain is textbook bargaining. But deep down, she still hasn’t accepted that Jess is dead and gone. All this is is another coping mechanism.“

“Hmmm... okay, you might be right about that,” Connie admitted, “but what can you do? She has to deal with it in her own way and in her own time. And... at least she’s not trying to hurt herself anymore, right? That’s definitely a good thing.” Don’t trust her! the little voice in the back of her head seemed to whisper again, distracting her again.

“Yes, I suppose,” Eva conceded. “Still, it worries me that I can’t read her anymore.”

“Read her?” Connie asked, suddenly attentive again. “You mean... you can’t read her thoughts?”

“Yes. Exactly,” Eva replied, her frustration showing. “I was concerned about her at the funeral, and I just brushed up against her mind, not really trying to probe, but just checking to see if she was truly okay. But I couldn’t get in. It was as if her mind was... covered in oil, or something. I couldn’t read her thoughts, I couldn’t even get into her mind, it was too slippery to lock onto.”

“Ahhhh... I see. That’s... really strange,” Connie nodded, feeling a strange feeling of relief and satisfaction. Huh. That’s weird. Why do I feel so good about that all of a sudden? If anything, I should be as concerned as Eva...

Eva, also noting Connie’s expression, frowned in confusion. Huh. I wonder if she knows something more about what’s happening with Katie... something she’s not saying. For a moment she was tempted to pierce the young psychic’s mind and peer deep inside... but she quickly banished the notion. No. I couldn’t violate her privacy that way. We’ve just started building a friendship of trust... I can’t throw that all away just because I think she’s hiding something about Katie. She obviously cares for my niece as much as I do. If she knew something important, she’d tell me.

“Anyway,” she continued aloud a moment later, “just do me a favor and let me know if you can think of anything that might help me get a handle on what’s going on with her. I intend to ask Sioban and Tawnya when they return as well. If nothing else, maybe they can give me a little peace of mind.” Reaching for her boot, she slipped it back on, before settling back into place. “Okay. Enough small talk. Back to training. Are you ready to continue?”

Fully dressed once more, Constance groaned heavily. “If I must. You know, if you go through all the trouble of getting me naked over and over again, the least you could do is make it enjoyable!”

Eva laughed. “Tell you what, sweetie. How about a little extra incentive? You manage to make me loose two pieces of clothing, and we’ll call it a day. You manage to get me to take off three, and we’ll celebrate in the hot tub, like we did the first night we arrived.” Lids drooping to mere slits, she licked her lips. “And if you manage more than three... well, let’s just say you’ll earn a little ‘bonus’... and I say that fully aware of the ‘payment plan’ you negotiated with your boss Nigel.” At that, Constance perked up significantly. “All right, sweetie,” Eva stated, bringing up her psychic shields, “let’s see what you’ve got.”

* * *

Bethany stood in the shadows outside the mayor’s manor house, simply staring down at the ground. Her world view had just been shattered, like a plate glass window with a brick thrown through it. Not getting anywhere in her search for answers, she’d decided to turn to dear old dad. ‘Borrowing’ a pair of prototype wrists gauntlets from his unfinished project stash, she’d spent more than a few hours fine tuning them to her unique power signature, practicing with them until she’d perfected the technique. The gauntlets enhanced her control over her fireworks, giving her better control and skill with her sparkling red lights, allowing her to use them as a deeply hypnotic light show. Finally, she’d returned to the streets, to try and get some answers.

And answers she’d found, though not the ones she’d ever thought she would find. Following up on a tip from one of her informers, she’d entranced a former drug dealer, and interrogated him about the rumors going around about criminals and Supers being inducted into some kind of secret shadowy cabal. It had taken a bit of doing to get past the blocks the mastermind had placed inside his brain, but eventually he gave up a name.

Luminaire. The so-called Light of Justice.

Disbelieving, unable to accept that her idol, the person who had inspired her to become a heroine in the first place could be behind such a plot, she’d continued searching, interrogating other known criminals that has seemingly turned over a new leaf. Each time, the same name came up: Luminaire. As much as she wanted to deny it, as much as she tried to avoid seeing the obvious, the truth kept staring her back in the face.

Her idol had gone rogue.

Her first idea had been to go to another local heroine, someone she trusted, and tell her what she’d learned. Instead of helping her, Black Siren had attacked her, fighting her tooth and nail, trying to subdue her to bring her back to her Mistress so that she could ‘see the Light’. Well, she’d shown her old friend some lights, all right. Stunning her into submission, she quickly commanded her to forget their conversation, that she’d even visited her that night, and quickly made her escape.

As bad as she’d suspected things to be, she soon found that the truth was far far worse. Nearly half the Supers in the city, good and bad alike, were part of the plot, and were working to induce the remaining ones into joining in on the plot as well. So many people enslaved, changed, brainwashed—and yet the city at large had no idea it was even happening! With friend and foe alike subverted, unable to know who she could trust, she’d decided to fall back and place the matter into the hands of a higher authority. And though she had a number of contacts on the police force, she decided to go straight to the source, to the highest seat in the city, and see Mayor Eastman herself.

The results of their meeting had crushed the tiny flicker of hope she’d had of a quick and simple solution. As it turned out, the mayor was as deeply involved in the plot to brainwash the city into obedience as the others! “Oh yes,” she’d replied, almost gleefully, at her questioning. “It’s true. Our fair city fully supports the actions of Miss Luminaire. She is trying to bring about an era of peace and prosperity to our poor beleaguered city. And after all we’d endured over the past several weeks, I’m sure each and every citizen out there will embrace this new and thrilling change. Think of it! No more crime. No more people fighting or hurting one another. Everyone living together in peace and harmony!”

“Peace and harmony?” she’d railed back, incredulously. “You’re talking about brainwashing people into compliance! Taking away their wills, and the ability to think and make choices for themselves!”

“No, no, my dear, you’re wrong,” the mayor had insisted. “She is not creating a city of mindless robots. People can still do whatever they want, and be themselves... they’ll just do so in a lawful manner! It’s only been a few weeks, but already she’s done so much! Crime is virtually non-existent.” Her eyes narrowed. “And yet you seem to think this is a bad thing? Perhaps you liked things the way they were before, with people afraid to leave their doors unlocked at night, afraid to go out alone, or cross into a darkened alley for fear they might not come out the other side? I know you’re one of the city’s badged Supers... but is getting your kicks fighting criminals really worth the safety and prosperity of the rest of its citizens?”

“I... it’s... I’m not like that,” she’d protested weakly. “That’s not the point! This is about violating people’s minds... violating their rights! It’s one thing to brainwash a criminal, someone trying to hurt or attack another human being, and make them behave. But you’re talking about doing this to EVERYONE, hero and villain and innocent bystander alike! This kind of thing... it’s immoral. And illegal!” At which point the mayor dropped her bombshell.

“Morality issues aside, I assure you, Miss Rocket, it is quite legal,” she’d announced, drawing aside an official signed document. “City ordinance number two five zero six three nine, granting one Luminaire, a duly deputized member of the River City badged Supers program, and legal representative of the city, permission to enact a covert operation to change, modify, and adjust the behaviors of any and all of the city’s populous to behave in accordance with the official laws and statutes of this city, state and country. Furthermore, it authorizes Luminaire to commandeer, conscript, or enlist the services of any and all individuals she might deem useful in this endeavor.” She’d handed the document over to her to read through, even pointing out the city seal, and notarized stamp of approval.

“You... you’ve got to be kidding me!” She’d protested in disbelief.

“Not at all,” the mayor had continued on, relentlessly. “Miss Luminaire presented her proposal before the entire city council, where it was voted on, approved and ratified. Ten out of twelve members voted to pass this bill, Miss Rocket, and I assure you, it was all done legally and above board. So, Miss Rocket, let me spell it out for you. Luminaire is in the right. And if you intend to try and stand in her way, then you’ll be the one breaking the law. Not only will you be going against the will of the city, you’ll find yourself facing the entire weight of River City Law Enforcement as well.”

She’d left soon thereafter, making it as far as the gate to the mayor’s mansion before dropping to her knees in defeat. The entire world had gone crazy, and it seemed she was one of the only sane ones left. It’s totally insane. Luminaire HAD to have done something to make the council members vote for her crazy law. There’s no way anyone not already under mind control would vote for such a thing! There’s got to be some way to stop this... or spread the word, and let someone know before things reach the point of no return. She sighed heavily in despair. If only Omega Girl were still around... she’d never let something like this happen. She’d talk some sense into her daughter... or if all else failed, simply lay the smack down. Yeah... but she’s not here anymore. She’s gone... and there’s no one I can turn to for help... no one I can trust. Even Dad’s been acting like a goddamn boy scout lately, even giving to charity! And if Luminaire is powerful enough to turn my dad into a philanthropist, then she can do fucking ANYTHING!

Standing up, brushing herself off, she walked through the gate, and out into the city. She was all alone in this. It was up to her. She had to take the fight to its source and stop her former idol all by herself. She was scared. Oh good god, she was scared! But also, strangely, she felt excited. Invigorated. I’m about to face the biggest challenge of my career... of my life. The future of my city depends entirely on me. Pulling out her grapple, she pointed at a nearby building and fired, zipping through the air up to the rooftops. It’s all on me, now... and I don’t intend to lose! Activating her gravity belt, she extended her cape and flew, gliding out into the night.