The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows VI: Blinded By The Light

by J. Darksong

Ch. 3: When Things Were Once Beautiful

Sometimes it’s so very hard to do the right thing.

As I hovered a few hundred feet above the commercial district downtown, I sighed to myself, wondering if maybe I’d been a bit too harsh with Jess. I absolutely HATED arguing with her. Or, really, with anyone. Jimmy calls me a ‘people pleaser’, meaning that I have some innate need inside me to make everyone like or love me, and to never ever have anyone mad or upset at me. Perhaps he’s right. Jess was upset with me, and I felt like shit.

Still, as much as she basically had me wrapped around her little finger on most things, I had to put my foot down when it came to going on patrol. It was one thing for her to come along with me and Sylvia for a short trip or two around the block to stop a purse snatching or mugging—and even THAT had turned into a complete fiasco—but it was something else completely for her to start accompanying me on routine patrols of the city...

* * *

“C’mon, Katie, don’t be like that!” she’d argued, pouting in that way I find both endearing and infuriating. “I want to go with you. And I won’t be a burden. I still have the gear we got from your dad’s workshop. I could help you—”

“No way, Jess,” I’d insisted. “No way. I can’t take the chance that something might happen to you! You were lucky you came away from the last little fiasco with a few sprains and bruises and a mild concussion!”

“Oh? And I’m not supposed to worry about YOU being out there all alone, facing off against some crazed psycho with who-knows-what kind of super powers or hi tech weapons?” she’d fired back. “I know you’re worried about me after what happened with that crazy cat girl... and the perverted ‘chess club’ woman... and those ninjas... but dammit, Katie, I can’t just sit by here at home alone waiting while you go off to fight dangerous criminals all by yourself! Besides, all of those things happened to you as well as me!“

“It’s not the same thing, Jess,” I’d tried patiently, willing her to understand. “I do this because it’s what I was born to do. I’ve trained for this kind of stuff my entire life! Yes, it is occasionally dangerous and yes, sometimes incidents like the other week happen... but again, baby, I’ve prepared for this kind of thing! And anyway, if it can happen to someone like Nebby, or me, with our powers and training, what hope would you have without either?“

She’d stormed off after that, going into the bedroom, slamming the door behind her. I’d obviously hurt her feelings, but as much as I wanted to capitulate, and let her have her way, I knew I was right. I’d left the apartment without another word, slipping out of the ‘secret entrance’ in the garage, and took to the skies on patrol...

* * *

And after the really great night we’d had last night, too, I thought sadly, remembering our playtime coming back from the babysitting job. We’d officially added spanking while restrained to our list of shared kinks. Although, right about now, considering her mood, being helpless and restrained around Jess is probably NOT a good idea. I sighed softly. Maybe when this was all over, I should bring her home some candy and flowers.

The sound of tires squealing caught my attention, and I turned to the left, spying a speeding car skidding hard to the right, about to cross the median and slam into a group of people entering the crosswalk. Moving quickly, I streaked down towards the intersection, channeling my light powers. I’m not nearly as strong as my mother, or my twin brother for that matter, but my powers are a touch more useful and versatile than either or theirs. Focusing my mind, picturing what I needed, I gestured with my hands, and released my light, forming a gleaming brilliant ramp, lifting the out of control car up and over the pedestrians, spinning it around to the correct orientation, allowing the driver to regain control again. Unfortunately, he didn’t seem to want to stop and face the music for his near-accident, so I sent out another beam of light, encircling the car completely, bringing it to a halt once the wheels were no longer touching the asphalt.

I was a little caught off guard as the pedestrians and the others on the street began clapping and cheering at me as I landed. “Hey! Good job, Luminaire!” a man cheered loudly, whistling. “Way to go, Light of Justice!” a woman yelled out, clapping loudly as well. I blushed slightly, giving them a slight smile, waving back. Inwardly I sighed. The crowd loved me, which was all well and good, but I wished some of their good will could be directed towards Jimmy. Even after being proven innocent during the trial, the people at large were unsure about him, still looking on him with suspicion. Had Jimmy stepped in and stopped that runaway car and saved these same pedestrians, the best he could have hoped for was for them NOT to boo, or point and whisper at him.

But... what can you do? People are the way they are. They tend to go with the general consensus, and all the ill will and bad feelings about him generated by the news wasn’t going to simply vanish overnight just because he was innocent. I was proud of my big brother, though... despite everything, he was still out there, fighting the good fight, and helping people. I guess I just have to prove myself to them, Sis, he’d told me a few days ago. I’ll convince them I’m not a bad guy... even if I have to do it one person at a time.

Walking to the driver’s side door of the Buick I’d stopped, I kind of wished my brother was here now to back me up. The door opened, and a HUGE behemoth of a man slid out. It was almost funny, like the circus, when ten clowns come tumbling out of this really tiny car and you wonder how the hell they all managed to fit inside that thing? Well, it was kind of like that, only without the humor.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing, girl?” he man yelled at me, stomping towards me. “Pulling me over like this, like some kind of damned pink clad beat cop?!?”

I blinked. “Um, well, um, you were speeding, sir,” I pointed out. “You ran a red light, and you nearly hit a bunch of pedestrians in the crosswalk just now. And you didn’t even stop. If I hadn’t took control of your car, you would be halfway to the transit lines by now!”

“EXACTLY MY POINT!” the man growled, throwing his hands up. “I’m late for my flight! I’ve probably already missed it, thanks to you!” He scowled, glaring down at me. “I’m a very important man in the government. Someone’s going to answer for this! What’s your name, little girl?”

I blinked again, nearly blurting my own real name when I remembered the costume. “I’m Luminaire, a duly deputized and licensed Super working with River City Law Enforcement. I’m not a little girl. And I don’t care if you’re the governor or even the President himself, you nearly killed those people with your reckless driving! Someone needs to answer for that!“

The man scoffed. “Pfft. Driving violations? Please!” Taking out his cell phone, he hit speed dial. “Diane? Yeah, it’s me. What? No... I’m still here in this stupid city. I got pulled over by some kid in bright pink spandex playing traffic cop!” Playing? Oh, this guy was beginning to get on my nerves. “Uh huh. Well, OBVIOUSLY I’ve missed my flight by now, that’s why I’m calling you!” he yelled into the phone. I had no idea who this Diane was, but she had my sympathy; I was dealing with this guy now, but she apparently had to deal with him all the time. “Listen! You get them to reschedule the meeting, alright? Tomorrow at noon. I should have this little... mess, straightened out by then. Uh huh. I don’t care, Diane. Make! It! Happen!” click

“Interesting tactic,” I said calmly, placing my hands at my sides. “Most people in your position would have called a lawyer instead of their office.”

The man sneered. “I don’t need a lawyer, baby cakes. By the time all this is said and done, however, YOU may end up needing one!”

I sighed inwardly. I was seriously tempted to deck this guy, just to shut him up... but I managed to keep my temper in check. Not easy to do, mind. I REALLY wanted to hit him. But, on the off chance that he WAS a high level government mucky muck, I preferred not to give dad’s lawyers too much work in defending me. “Okay, Sir, why don’t we try this again. What is your name?”

“Classified.”

I groaned softly. If that’s how he wanted to play this... “Okay, Mr. Classified. Can I see your license and registration, please?”

The man rolled his eyes. “I think not, little girl. I’m only indulging you this much while I wait for the actual police to arrive.” He leaned back against the side of his car nonchalantly. He glanced at me with a grin, swagger rolling off him in waves. Goddess, I just wanted to blast him into the middle of next week. Wait a second... speaking of which.

“Hey! What the fuck?” he yelled, reaching back towards me as I deftly drew a small concealed gun from inside his jacket. “Give me back that gun, girl! Right now!”

“Carrying a concealed weapon is punishable offense in this state,” I said stoically, examining the piece. “I assume you have a license to carry this, Mr. Classified?”

“Okay, fuck,” the man growled, grabbing my wrist. “This has stopped being funny. Listen here, you blonde bimbo bitch! You give me that gun right now, or I will break your ar—AAAAGHH!!” he screamed as I gave his wrist a slight twist. And I wasn’t the slightest bit satisfied as I heard and felt bones snap and break from the force of my grip... because THAT would have been unprofessional.

Okay.... so maybe... maybe I felt a tiny little spark of satisfaction.

“Aaagghh! You... bitch!” he hissed, gasping in pain, clutching his broken hand. “I’ll fucking crucify you for this!”

I ignored him, however, glancing around at the inside of the car. The back and side windows were tinted, but a bright light helped illuminate the contents in the back seat. A large rectangular black leather case sat on the center of the seat. It looked familiar... and it took me a second to realize just where I’d seen it before. Scowling, I walked back over to the man. “What are you transporting?” I asked him simply, crossing my arms at my chest. “You said you were trying to make a flight out of town, and I’ve seen the kind of case in your back seat before. So I’ll ask you again... what are you transporting?”

He scowled as well. “Fuck off, Barbie doll,” he growled, until I took hold of his injured hand again. “FUCK! Okay, okay! Fine! I’ll tell you, dammit! Just... let go of my fucking hand!”

By now the onlookers, curious about what was going on with what should have been a routine traffic stop were gathering around. Sullen, angry at being upstaged by a ‘mere girl’, the man rubbed lightly on his hand. “I hope all of you were watching this,” he yelled out to the crowd. “Fucking bitch broke my damn hand!” The sound of sirens squealing as the police finally arrived brought the matter to a close, however, and now that they were here, I was supposed to surrender control of the situation over to them.

“Hey, Luminaire, what do we have here?” A uniformed officer I knew asked as he approached. He grinned, taking off his hat. “Seems like we just saw you a little while ago down on the Front End area. You sure do get around.”

I nodded, and was about to speak when the man pushed his way through to the front of the queue. “Lieutenant, I insist that I be allowed to go on my way, and that this girl be taken into custody immediately!”

“Whoa, whoa, just hold yer horses, pal,” the officer, whose name I now remembered as being Kenny, replied, taking out a pen and pad. “We’ll get this all straightened out. For now, I need you to go back and stand beside your vehicle while I take a few statements.”

“I’m afraid not, Lieutenant,” the man replied imperiously, reaching behind his jacket. I acted before the police did, and was on him in a flash, grabbing his still working wrist, a tiny bit harder than necessary, and he squealed like a little pig. “Eeeeeeeee!! Fuck fuck fuck, get her off, get her off, get her off me right fucking now dammit!”

“Okay, Luminaire, hon, let him go,” Kenny said with a smirk. I obliged, and the man sighed, retrieving a small black billfold from his pocket, rubbing lightly at his wrist. “Next time, sir, I suggest you warn someone before reaching for what might be a concealed weapon. The only reason we didn’t draw OUR weapons was because she reacted first.” Taking the billfold, he flipped it open, the frowned. “Is this correct? You’re with the—”

“Department of Defense, yes,” the man said irritably, scowling. “Here in your... quaint little city on official business. I was supposed to be on a flight heading back to Washington D.C. right now, but your little ‘Powder Puff Girl’ decided to detain me over some trivial traffic violation!”

“Trivial?!?” I yelled, losing the tiny remaining grip on my temper. “You nearly ran over and killed six people! If I hadn’t stepped in when I did, you would have killed them and possibly yourself!” I fired a bolt of light energy at the sidewalk, causing everyone to jump. “And for the three millionth time, to EVERYONE who had made that goddamn comparison about me, they’re called the POWER PUFF girls! Not POWDER!” Geez! Did everyone freaking make that damn mistake just to piss me off?

“You see what I mean? She’s deranged!” the man yelled angrily. “She broke my hand, Officer! I’m a member of the Federal Government on an official mission to bring back a new prototype weapon obtained from Braxton Engineering, and your little local girl is impeding me! Now... will you release me and let me on my way, or do I need to contact your police Chief, or your Commissioner? Perhaps the Mayor? Or the Governor?”

“Just a moment please, Sir,” Kenny murmured, turning away, and leading me out of earshot. “Damn. This is... well... this is kind of a mess we’re in here.”

I blinked in surprise. “Lieutenant, the guy ran a red light, skidded out of control and nearly killed six people! I can’t believe you’re actually considering letting him walk just because he has connections!”

“Um, yes, well,” he said, looking extremely uncomfortable, “technically, since you saved everyone, and prevented the car crash, the worst we could charge him with is reckless driving, which would just be a warning at best, and a fine at worst! He’s with the D.O.D., so yeah, I take his threat to call everyone from the Chief of Police up to the Governor very seriously.” He sighed. “And... did you have to break the guy’s hand?”

Er, well, actually... “He had a gun concealed underneath his jacket,” I said defensively. “And he refused to show me his ID or even give his name. He kept calling me a kid... not treating me seriously, saying he would wait until the ‘real’ police arrived. And... there’s something else. Whether this guy actually is who he says he is, I think he’s dirty. I can’t imagine him being this surly or tight lipped over transporting some new prototype. The gun he was carrying was an older model energy weapon, plasma based, like...”

Like most of the ones used by the street punks and common thugs, I suddenly realized. The same kinds of weapons that had been stolen from shipments from my Dad’s company over the past six months. And then, suddenly, I remembered EXACTLY where I’d seen that black case from the back seat. And by that, I meant THAT EXACT CASE!

“Luminaire?” the Sergeant prompted me, puzzled by my silence.

“He’s dirty,” I said resolutely. “I’m sure of it. He might be charged with transporting a new prototype weapon back to Washington D.C., but I doubt it’s something official. I know for a fact that the case in his back seat didn’t come from Braxton Engineering!”

“Oh, really?” the man replied loudly, coming up from behind us. “And just how would you know that, little girl?”

I paused, biting my lip. What could I say, after all? That my daddy was the billionaire industrialist who created the weapon you were stealing? Or that I knew about that particular case because when I’d asked about it a few months ago while he was having them loaded up for transport to a ‘presumably’ secure location, he’d dropped it, scuffing one of the edges, and putting a small triangle shaped dent in the corner? Which I noticed when I picked it up and handed it back to him.

“If this weapon is being transported back to Washington by order of the D.O.D., then I’m sure you have all the appropriate paperwork.” Kenny stated, rather than asked, earning a scowl from the surly man as well.

“This is all ridiculous!” he grunted, taking a small sheet of folded paper from his breast pocket, shoving it at the policeman. “I hope you enjoy traffic duty, Officer, because after today, I can assure you, that’s exactly where you’ll be assigned. Or... no. Even better, how about walking a beat again, patrolling the warehouse district on foot. How does that sound?“

Mostly ignoring the man’s threats, Kenny scanned the paperwork, then sighed. “Everything seems to be in order. Writ of transport for one prototype high energy yield weapon... yada yada yada... all the i’s dotted and t’s crossed.” He sighed. “Sorry, Luminaire. His paperwork checks out.”

“But...” I sputtered, grasping. I knew he was dirty. I just couldn’t prove it. And I couldn’t even explain why without bringing up a lot of personal questions I wasn’t ready to answer. So I watched in frustration as the man snatched up his papers with his good right hand, folded them carefully back into his pocket, and walked back to his vehicle. If ever there was a time when a little good luck was needed, this was it!

At which point, as the man passed by the back end of the car, the truck’s locking mechanism malfunctioned, and the trunk opened. “What the hell?” the man yelped, taking a step back in surprise, then forward, reaching over to quickly slam the hood back down. It went down hard, catching on the edge of another black metallic case, which sent the hood back up, and knocked the case free. It hit the ground, and somehow, the secure lock encoded transport case popped open, spilling its contents: a hand held plasma assault rifle and several rechargeable energy packs

Everyone gathered at the scene went silent, staring at the highly illegal, military grade weapon lying casually on its side on the ground. Kenny and I glanced at each other, then turned to face the man. “Mr. Nesbitt,” Kenny replied, placing a hand on his weapon, “your writ of transport was very specific about allowing you to transport a weapon. One weapon. This seems to be more than on.” He smiled evilly. “I think we have a problem here, Mr. Nesbitt.“

Caught without a reasonable alibi, he did what pretty much all criminals do when put in a corner and surrounded by the cops. Running a short distance into the crowd, he grabbed a young woman, pulling her into a choke hold and placed a knife at her throat. “Okay, here’s what’s going to happen!” he yelled loudly, glancing left to right anxiously, backing slowly towards the car. “You’re going to put that weapon back into the trunk and lock it. Then everyone is going to back away fifteen feet from me and the vehicle and clear the road ahead!” Seeing a uniformed officer try to move in from the side, he twisted, snarling, pressing the blade tighter against the woman’s throat, drawing blood. “I said back away, fuckhead!” he snarled. “If you don’t want this woman to become a corpse, you’d do what I say, and do it now!”

Which is when I decided to act. Typical macho man mentality, he was focused on the police and had all but forgotten the ‘little girl in the pink spandex’. Angled at the side, facing Kenny and the officer that had attempted to sneak up on his, I powered up, closed my eyes, imagined what I needed... then opened them, covering the area in a blinding flash of white light.

“Gaaaaahhhh!! My eyes!” the man yelled, losing his grip on the blade, and the woman, for an instant, trying to block out the flare. “Can’t see... I’m blind... shit!” Recovering from the surprise, he tried to reestablish his hold, only to find his hands and arms restrained. Bellowing in rage, still blinded, he tried to bring the blade down into the woman’s throat and make good on his threat, but I’d thought of that. His knife, like he and the woman both, were wrapped up in a pulsing shimmering cocoon of light, making it as effective a weapon as a roll of bubble wrap. Then, using the technique I’d perfected with Sylvia and Jessica, I separated the cocoons, pulling her free while leaving the burly man tightly bound.

“Let me go... let me out of this... you can’t do this to me...” he ranted and raved, struggling furiously, until, finally tired of his mouth, I indulged my earlier wish and tapped him lightly across the chin. His eyes crossed, and he slumped over, held up only by cocoon of light...

* * *

“Looks like your hunch panned out,” the Lieutenant told me about half an hour later. “Just got a callback from the station. They checked with Washington, and Nesbitt IS a courier for the Department of Defense all right... but he was only tasked with bringing back the prototype and nothing more. Seems he’s established quite a lucrative little side business selling parts and weapons specs on the black market.” He sighed. “And he’s been busy, too. Apparently he’s visited all the major weapons producers from New York to Los Angeles. With his paperwork and position with the D.O.D. no one ever thought to question him or search his vehicle... until now, that is.” He grinned. “Great work, Luminaire.“

“Thanks, Lieutenant,” I beamed back, feeling entirely pleased with myself. He may not have been a costume wearing super villain, but I’d definitely stopped a public menace, and a threat to national security. “What’s going to happen to all the stolen equipment in his trunk?”

“We’ve contacted a representative from Braxton Electronics to come down and help sort through what’s what. Eventually it will all be returned to where it came from, but in the short term, it’s being taken back to lockup at the station.”

I nodded. “That’ll work, I guess.” I glanced aside as Mr. Nesbitt walked by and handcuffs. The man glared daggers at me. I merely smiled, and gave him an ‘Aunt Sarah’ wave, wiggling my fingers at him. He snarled, trying to come at me, but the officers leading him restrained him, holding him back, forcing him to keep moving. Kenney stared at me, eyebrow raised. “What? Just being friendly,” I said blushing lightly. “I just waved; I wasn’t provoking him or anything.” I shrugged. “He just doesn’t like me.”

“Well, considering that you busted up his entire operation, and, adding insult to injury, broke his wrist, I can see why,” Kenney quipped. “Well, hero, looks like that’s pretty much it. We can take it from here, if you need to get back to your patrol.”

“Thanks,” I said, going airborne. Then, frowning, I turned back, hovering a few feet off the ground. “Um, say, Lieutenant... do you know where the nearest flower shop is? I need to pick up a little apology gift for my girlfriend.”

“Well, Flower Bonanza over on Eight & Myrtle is probably the closest,” Kenny replied, scratching his head, “but if you’re really in the ‘dog house’ you should probably go to uptown to Daphne’s Petals. She does floral arrangements, and she also sells Godiva chocolates.”

Flowers and chocolates? Score! “Thanks again, Lieutenant!” I yelled, taking off, heading for Uptown.

* * *

A tall blonde haired man stepped out of the crowd of onlookers as the police dispersed, pulling out his cell phone. Hitting speed dial, he listened and waited for the person to answer. Then... “Hello? Yes, it’s me. Not so sure about being here in this city, but I wasn’t spotter. And yes, I found her. Looks like you were right... again. She and her brother both seem to be going out alone, business as usual, so I doubt he told them anything. Or, if he did, they both chose to believe that they’re capable of handling anything or anyone they might come up against.” He sighed softly, brushing aside a lock of hair. “Yes, Sir,” he said, chuckling, “I suppose that WOULD be something of a ‘family trait’ then, after all.”

He glanced around, going silent as a man and a woman walked by. “So,” he whispered after a moment, “is it time for me to head back to Florida yet? I have people here standing by, ready to respond if... really? Oh, I see.” He nodded. “So... should I send them both in?” He frowned slightly. “Very well. But why just for the girl? I mean, if the idea is to send a message...” He sighed again, closing his eyes. “Yes, I know. Mine is not to question why. Very well. I’ll let my agent on the inside know she’s on.”

Shaking his head, he clicked off the cell, then opened it again, dialing a second number. “Hello? Yes, it’s Richard. It looks like you’re on.” He nodded. “Yes, just like we planned. The idea is to capture her, and take her hostage ’til we find the technology my employer is searching for. She’s not to be injured until then.”

He listened for a long moment, nodding. “Yes, yes, I understand that you have your own personal reasons for being involved in this... I understand only too well, but those are the orders. She is NOT to be harmed until we have the device.” He listened for a moment more.

“Well, I suppose so. Once we have it in our possession, she’s all yours. Feel free to indulge yourself.” He chuckled softly. “I think it’s a bit of a waste, but the boss was very specific about the ‘after’ part, so… sure, why not? Once this is all over, you have my permission to kill her!”