The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows III: Dusk Descending

by J. Darksong

* * *

V.)

I... was tired.

Not physically, though my experience with Serpentina had left me sore in some very tender places. I meant mentally... emotionally... spiritually... in every way that mattered. I was drained, fried, and weary to the bone. My batteries were dead, my gas tank was empty, I was running on fumes... however you worded it, I was just plain...tired.

More than anything I wanted to go home. i longed to sink into my mother’s arms and just let go with all the pain and anger and frustration that had been a part of me for what felt like years. I ached to talk to my dad, to hear his advice, his counsel...to have him find some way out of this mess for me. And I craved the presence of my sister, my twin, my other half... who never even had to say anything at all, able to sooth the ache in my heart just by being there.

And what hurt the worst was the fact that I couldn’t.

Oh, I could go back home, of course. It was possible. All I had to do was get in Jenny and take the main Interstate route, and I could be there in a few hours. And all that would accomplish would be to drag my family down with me. You see, that was the problem. My mom and dad, Katie, Ms. Snow, the Albinns... I had no doubt that they would stay by my side and rally behind me, come what may. If I were being framed, or set up. then sure, by all means, rally away.

Only... I hadn’t been framed or set up. I’d actually done what I was being accused of doing. It didn’t matter one bit that it was an accident, or that I’d tried earlier to turn the driver away to prevent exactly what happened from happening. In the end, my actions had cost five people their lives. And the media had made that fact abundantly clear, calling for my arrest, or, in some of the more biased programs, my execution. Remaining objective, my ass. I was poison... and anyone who came forth to defend me or support me, would be viewed with the same anger and hate and contempt.

The only saving grace I had at the moment was the fact that the police had not yet released my actual name to the media. Why, I wasn’t sure—you’d think that having a name and face to put with the black clad masked killer listed as America’s Most Wanted would be a top priority. Yet, thus far—nada , zip, zilch. The only explanation I could think of would be my dad getting involved, using whatever remaining friends he still had in the government to pull a few strings.

And who knows how much that little favor cost him. Dad’s struggling as it is, fighting to keep his company intact, going back and forth from home to Capitol Hill. With everything he’s endured over the past year, it’s all he can do to keep the vultures away. And now... now he’s spending time and effort in trying to help me instead of saving his company.

Well... no. No more. It was one thing to slide into the abyss myself. I was public enemy numero uno... number one with, most likely, a bullet. I sure as hell didn’t want my family and friends sucked down with me. So... however this all ended, I was bound and determined that no one else would suffer the same fate as that mother and her children.

No one else was going to die because of me.

Driving along the dark and dreary highways, weary and worn, the weight of the world bearing down on me... all I wanted was to find a place to rest. To simply sleep for a while, and recover my strength for the next barrage. It had been a long time since I’d been able to rest undisturbed, without having to keep one eye open for someone out to get me. I rubbed lightly at the burn and pock marks on my shirt, which closer resembled Swiss cheese than clothing. I’d stopped in a small, Podunk, one horse town to get some gas and supplies, and ended up getting accosted by an angry mob. And that son of a bitch with that shotgun... I suppose I’m just lucky to be bulletproof. Not that he knew that before he pulled the trigger... I’d shadow drained the lot of them and left them lying in the middle of the street. Then I took my supplies, gassed up Jenny, left a stack of bills on the counter and got the hell outta Dodge.

I suppose I should give credit where credit is due, however. When they were interviewed later on national TV telling the world about my ’despicable unsolicited attack’, they called me every dirty name under the sun, but they didn’t call me a thief.

My eyelids were fluttering. I was fading fast. I needed to stop, pull over and just rest, close my eyes for a bit. Just an hour. That’s all I needed... I was about to pull over, when I saw a noticed a sign post coming into view. Midas City, five miles.

Midas...

Well... why not? What better place to lay low for the night than the City of a Thousand Supers? If nothing else, I shouldn’t stand out too much. I smirked, considering. Well, no more than any other male. Taking a right at the next exit, I pulled off the Interstate and headed into the city limits...

* * *

Eugene Frasier let out a soft sigh, releasing the pent up breath he’d been holding. The touch pad screen in his hands remotely linked to his private desktop back home confirmed what he’d hoped. His satellite tracking system had managed to pinpoint his son’s location. Aye. Good choice, too, he thought with a small smile. If yer too stubborn and headstrong to come to your immediate family, at least ye can find help from yer extended one. In the meantime, I’ll do what I can to help from my end.

His cell phone rang, and he answered on the second beep. “Parker? Ah... yes. We’re currently on a break. I can talk for a moment. Did you have any luck obtaining the files I wanted?” He nodded. “Excellent. With what I’ve been able to put together, I’d say we have a rather strong case in proving Jimmy innocent. There are just a few loose ends to tie up, though... and I still don’t know who was behind all of this or why.”

“Speaking of young James,” Parker replied, “are you any closer to finding out where he ran off to?”

“Aye. The enhanced sensor array in my private spy satellite managed to confirm his location. He’s safe enough for the time being.” He sighed deeply. “I just wish I knew what... wait.” Eyes widening, Eugene took a step back from the window, and turned, pacing idly back and forth. “Hmmm... taking into consideration everything that happened to Katherine as well over the past several weeks... yes... yes.” He shook his head. Bloody hell... I’m a damned fool. A damned fool.

“Gene? You still there? What was it?” Parker asked.

“Ach... nothing really. I think I just obtained a missing piece to this puzzle... a corner piece. And now I think I can see a glimpse of the ’big picture’.” The sound of talking nearby grabbed his attention. “Listen, Parker, lad, the Senate hearings are about to resume, so I need to head back in. I’ll talk to you later.” Closing his cell, he turned to walk back into the main room.

I should have seen your hand in this, Duncan, from the verra beginning. Ye always did prefer to play the long game’... willing to sit by and wait until yer opponent has moved on and forgotten all about you before ye strike. Sixteen years is a long time to wait... but I still should have known. Well, brother... ye outmaneuvered me...outsmarted me... but never let it be said that Eugene Frasier doesnae learn from his mistakes. You’ve shown me a glimpse of your great scheme... a mistake on yer part. Now I’ll show ye how much I’ve learned.