The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows III: Effulgence Rising

by J. Darksong

* * *

III.)

Hey! This is Jess. Leave me a message and I promise I’ll get back to you. Thanks. Check ya later! Beep

“Hello Jessica? It’s me, again. Katie. I’m sorry that it’s taken me so long to get back to you, but, um... I’m here, now, so... um... I really want to talk to you. About Miami. About... everything, really. I’m sorry I’ve been such a ghost lately.... I really am. I just, well, needed to think. And... I know, it would serve me right if you didn’t call me back for at least two weeks just like I left you waiting, but... I really need to talk to you. And I’m really really sorry. Please call me back, Jess. Please?” Beep

End of message. To delete this message, press seven. To save this message in the archives, press nine. BEEP! Message will be saved for twenty-eight days. Next message sent on—

Click.

Jessica DuMont sighed wearily, staring at the phone in her hand. A small part of her, an acknowledged vindictive and spiteful part, wanted to just erase the message, to ignore Katie’s calls and let her worry and stew for a couple of weeks to let her see what it felt like. And, really, it would be no less than she deserved. Truth was, however, she missed her best friend terribly. Despite the anger and hurt she felt at Katie avoiding her, simply hearing her voice, even recorded on her voice mail, was like a soothing balm to her heart.

God, I’ve got it bad, she mused to herself, as she made her way to her front door. I guess that settles the issue. If I get this weak in the knees just hearing her voice on the phone, what I feel for her has got to be real. I love Katie... no. I HAVE loved her, ever since Kindergarten, since that first time I saw her walk into the classroom. Hell, I always feel so warm and fluttery around her... I just never really knew what that feeling was until now.

Standing outside on the porch, she glanced across the street. Fifty feet, give or take a foot, she thought with a sigh. That’s all that separates us. Fuck... I can’t do this. I can’t do this! She paused, and turned to go back into the house, the thought of confronting her bestie about her feelings suddenly frightening her. Hand on the door knob, she stopped, closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and release her grip. “Dammit, DuMont, you can do this,” she growled at herself. “You’re just going to talk to her. You don’t have to bloody well confess your love to her or anything. Right now we just need to talk about things. Clear the air. And if I feel her out, and see if she is feeling the same way about me that I feel about her, well... we can go from there.”

Nodding inwardly, deciding on her course of action, she turned and walked resolutely across the street, knocking on the door of the Frasier house. She smiled slightly as Isabelle, the part-time maid and cleaning lady, answered the door. “Ah! Hello Miss DuMont. Good afternoon! What can I do for you?”

“Um, hi, Isabelle... is Katie here?”

“No, actually, you just missed her,” Jimmy Frasier answered, pulling the door open, stepping past the maid. “Excuse me, Isabelle, I’m heading out now. Dad said he’s going to be in DC for the next couple of weeks, and with just Katie and myself here, we’ll only need you to come by once a week. I left the envelope for this month’s pay in the kitchen for you.”

“So... only once a week next week then?” the Latino maid asked, frowning slightly. Jimmy nodded, seeming to know what her concerns were.

“Yes, only one day a week for, say, the next month or so,” Jimmy confirmed. “We’ll let you know if we need you to come out more. And don’t worry, you’ll still receive the same pay regardless.”

“No, no, Mr. Frasier,” Isabelle shook her head. “I cannot do that—”

“Nonsense,” Jimmy insisted. “It is decided. It’s more than worth it to have you come out. Not that Katie and I are a bunch of slobs... but well, we couldn’t survive without you.” Giving the young woman a smile, he turned his attention to Jessica. “Sorry. As I was saying, you just missed her. By like, maybe, a minute. She promised to baby sit for Veronica and Parker Albinn tonight.” He made his way over to his car, then glanced back at Jess.

“You know, Jess, we’ve never really gotten along,” he stated, causing her to stiffen. “You’ve never made your feelings about me a secret. You don’t like me, and I can honestly say, I’m not overly fond of you either.” Jessica scowled, her jaw clenching. “That said... I know about the issues you and my sister are having. I talked to Katie, convinced her to stop sitting around with her thumb up her ass and to call you back. I can only assume you’re here now because she finally followed through.” He slid into his car and started the engine. “I’m heading out to meet up with the Albinns now, to have some lunch before we go on our first real patrol together. If you like, I can drop you off at their house and let you speak to Katie face to face.”

Jessica blinked, smiling slightly despite herself, she shook her head. “Thanks, but no. I don’t want to interrupt her while she’s working. We’re meeting up tonight at the fair anyway, so I suppose I’ll see her there is I can’t get a hold of her before then. So, um…. Thanks anyway. But, um, can I ask you a question?”

Jimmy sighed. “Why am I sticking my neck out for you, you mean?” She nodded. “It’s not for you. It’s for Katie. My baby sister... she’s really confused and doubting herself. She doesn’t even know her own mind right now. But I know my sister even if she herself doesn’t. I know she cares about you just as deeply as you care about her. You’re her best friend. You’re important to her. She needs you. And you need her.” He put the car in gear, and back out of the drive way.

“One thing though,” he yelled out before driving off down the street, “if you break her heart, I’ll plant your ass into the ground, six feet under. And I mean that, literally.” With a squeal of tires, he took off, leaving the short brunette more than a little concerned.

* * *

“Thanks again for agreeing to do this,” Veronica Albinn said sweetly, giving me a hug as she and her husband made their way to the door. “Parker and I both really appreciate it.”

“Don’t worry about it,” I said with a smile. “Really, I should be thanking you for taking Jimmy under your wing this way. And, well, it’s no big hassle. I haven’t seen little Lucy in quite a while now. How old is she now, anyway? Five years old?”

“No!” the familiar high pitched voice called out to the steady patter of footsteps as my favorite little sweetheart Lucy came running into the room. “I’m NOT five years old, Katie!” she yelled, hands on her hips. “I’m SIX years old!!”

I giggled, bending down to look her eye to eye. “My goodness! I think you’re right. You are way too big to just be five years old.” I poked her teasingly in the ribs and she burst into giggles. “Well, you certainly laugh like a six year old.”

“Um, Katie dear, are you sure you’re ready for this?” Aunt Roni asked, somewhat nervous. “Lucy has been… um… going through some changes lately, and—“

“Are we ready to go, honey?” Parker asked, coming down the stairs. “We’ll need to hurry if we want to meet up with Jimmy at the diner for lunch before we head out to patrol the business district.” He smirked, winking at me. “Hey, Katie. Good to see you again. We shouldn’t be gone too long, just don’t let our little ‘holy terror’ run you ragged.” He knelt down on one knee, giving the precocious six year old a kiss on the cheek. “And you, young lady, be a good girl for Katie. If you’re a good girl, I’ll bring you home a special treat.”

Lucy’s eyes went wide. “Really, Daddy? Can I get ice cream?” Parker chuckled.

“Yes, yes, sweetie, if you’re good for your babysitter.” Rising back to his feet, he turned to his wife. “Come on, Roni. Let’s get going.”

I smiled inwardly watching them all together. Husband, wife, and child. They were truly a well rounded and loving family. It kind of made me feel nostalgic for the days when my family was still a close knit group... back in the days when I was a precocious six year old, and the apple of my daddy’s eye.

Once we were alone, I lead Lucy back to the living room. “Okay, Lucy-goosey, what movie do you want to watch with me today?” I glanced over at the DVD collection. “How about Wall-E? Or Cars? oh... I know. How about A Bug’s Life? You love that one—”

“NO!” Lucy announced, “I want to watch the ‘Credibles’.”

“The Incredibles?” I asked, quite amused. “That must be new. When did you mommy get that movie?”

“I don’t know!” Lucy replied, planting her hands on her hips in indignation. “I just want to watch it! Please, Katie?”

I laughed. “Okay, sure. We can do that.” I walked over to the DVD player and slid the disc inside. “I’m just surprised your mom and dad bought this for you, that’s all. I can’t see them shelling out for a movie that pokes fun at super heroes when they happen to be the real thing. Ah, well.”

So we sat and watched the movie. And, as typical for a six year old, we watched it again, and again. I’d never watched it before, myself, so I didn’t mind too much. Still, as I made us a snack of mac n’ cheese, I wondered if this would become a regular thing every time I came by to babysit. I do recall what it was like to be that age, and with embarrassment, remember my dad pulling me aside to explain to me, as calmly as he could, why we couldn’t watch The Lion King, again, for the thirty-seventh time, even though I really really wanted to watch it again.

Now, I was the one on the outside, being forced to watch a cutesy Disney movie a few hundred thousand times back to back for the entertainment of another. Heh. Joy...

“Tee hee,” Lucy giggled, clutching her stuffed bear Sasha tightly. “I like Dash. He’s funny!”

“Uh huh,” I replied idly, watching the part where the bad guys were chasing him, and the blonde speedster started running over the water. I grinned. “You know, Lucy, your dad is just like Dash.”

Turning away from the TV for a moment, she glanced up at me. “Uh uh! Daddy’s not funny! You’re being mean.”

“No, no, not that,” I said, laughing. “I mean that your dad can run fast too, like Dash. He even has a super hero costume, like Dash,” I said, frowning slightly, “Well, not so much these days, with the black and all… though as I recall, he used to wear one that was red and black, just like the Dash. My mom has pictures. Hmmm... wonder if he made his costume based on the cartoon... but no, he was a hero long before that movie came out.” Just coincidence, maybe? Or maybe it was based on something else?

“You’re being silly, Katie,” Lucy said with a frown. “My daddy is NOT a cartoon! Stop trying to trick me.”

“I’m not trying to trick you, Lucy,” I replied, rolling my eyes. “Your mom and dad are super heroes, that’s all I’m saying. You know that, right?” The girl nodded. “Well, your mom is a ninja, and your dad has supersonic powers. You know that too, right?” She nodded again.

“Uh huh. I saw mommy and daddy with their super hero clothes on before. They wear all black. So daddy is NOT like the Dash, he wears red.”

I opened my mouth to say something, but merely sighed instead. She was only six, after all. I doubted I could make her understand. Shrugging, I settled back onto the couch to watch the rest of the movie. Bored, I kind of zoned out a bit, letting it all fade into the background. Conjuring a small orb of light, I bounced it from knuckle to knuckle, from hand to hand, as I thought about what I was going to say to Jess the next time I saw her. I’d called her earlier, only to get her voice mail. She was, no doubt, still pissed at the way I’d avoided her all this time.

Jess always had a bit of a temper, and a real stubborn streak when she felt she’d been wronged. I might need to grovel a bit...

“Wow!” Lucy squealed, breaking me out if introspection. “That’s really cool, Katie!”

“Huh?” I glanced down, seeing her stare spellbound at the little light orb bouncing from hand to hand. “You mean this? Oh, that’s nothing. I just do it as a habit when I get bored sometimes.” I shrugged. “I have special powers like your mom and dad.”

“That’s awesome!” Lucy squealed, jumping up and down. “Me too! I have special powers too, Katie! And when I grow up and get big, I’m gonna go out and fight the bad guys just like the ‘Credibles!”

I giggled. She was really too cute. “I know, sweetie. I felt the same way when I was your age. But, well, you’re still a little too young to have powers just yet. Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll get them in a few more years when you’re older.”

Her response was not what I’d expected. “I DO TOO HAVE POWERS!” she yelled, clutching her stuffed bear like a weapon. “You’re being mean, Katie! Mean! MEAN!”

I sighed softly. “Now, now, Lucy. You’re acting like a little brat—”

“I AM NOT A BRAT!!” she screamed, eyes glowing an eerie red color. A shudder went through me, and a tingling sensation crept up my spine into the back of my skull. My fingers twitched, and spasmed, and before I realized what was happening, I was moving. Standing up, my arms stretched out to the side, and a weird fake plastic smile creased my lips.

What the hell? What’s going on? I can’t... control my... body!

“You were MEAN!” Lucy repeated, holding her stuffed bear up to me. “And meanies need to apologize for being bad!”

“L... Lu... cy...” I gasped, having to force the words out through stiff numb, unresponsive lips. “I... am... ss... ss... ooo... rrrrrr... yyy!” I was still smiling, baring my teeth with a wide and goofy grin that was completely out of place under the circumstances. Fuck… she really DOES have powers… even at her age! ‘Going through changes’, her mom had said… changes indeed! I was pushing, struggling, fighting with everything in me, but I couldn’t make my body move at all.

“Okay!” Lucy said with a grin, happy once more. “Now, kiss Barney and tell him you’re sorry too!”

Obediently, against my will, I leaned forward, bent at the waist, and kissed the bear. Then gasped in surprise. It was... no. Couldn’t be. But I could almost swear the bear... kissed me back? No, not quite... it was almost like... kissing myself... Lucy giggled again.

“Goody! You and Barney Bear made up. Now you can dance for him!” Moving the bear idly in her hands, shifting him back and forth, Lucy made him dance. Up and down, left and right, side to side. Strangely enough, I found myself mirroring the bear’s movements, moving up and down, left and right, side to side, dancing in perfect synch. All the while, a stiff over-the-top smile etched on my face.

It was the bear. She was controlling me through the bear.

“Yeah, that was fun!” Lucy said giggling, placing Barney back on the couch next to her. Moving back to my seat, I sat down again, staring forward, still completely helpless. “Okay, Barney is tired now. He’s gonna sit down and take a nap. Say nite nite to him, Katie!”

“Nite... nite...“I responded... feeling a wave of exhaustion overtake me. It was all I could do to keep my eyes open. They drooped, then fluttered, and unable to fight it, fight her, a moment longer... I slid gratefully into a deep deep slumber...