The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Light and Shadows III: Effulgence Rising

by J. Darksong

* * *

V.)

“How are you feeling?”

I blinked, and shook my head. “Um... yeah, thanks,” I said with a slight blush. Eva Snow glanced at me sidelong for a moment, as if not quite convinced by my words. Truthfully, I wasn’t convinced myself, but I was at least willing to put on a brave face. And she, it seemed, wasn’t going to call me on my bullshit. I had no idea what had come over me earlier. I wasn’t like that. I really wasn’t! If anything, I usually the prey, not the predator!

But… well… I can’t deny that it… felt kind of good…

“Alright then. You seem to be well enough, all things considered,” she added with a smirk, causing my blush to deepen. “I did a little poking around with your two ‘friends’,” she gestured with her head to Voltaire and Manx, who were being escorted off by the police. “Neither one of them will remember your secret identity—I was able to do that much for you, at least. However, I am a bit concerned. I wasn’t able to probe deep enough to uncover who they were working for, or why they were both targeting you. Both of their minds have been effectively ‘locked down’ to the point that probing any deeper would take more time and effort that I can expend right here and now.” She paused, considering. “I DID read some mention of you being sold at auction from Voltaire... but I get the impression that was merely a plant... a false memory stuck inside her mind in case someone with my abilities decided to probe her mind.”

“Okay. So, whoever is behind all of this is a psychic, then?”

“A psychic? Perhaps. Or someone with magic. Or a machine or device of some kind. Or a hypnotist who really knows how to program a mind. As I said, I’ll have to probe a lot longer and deeper to find out exactly what we’re dealing with here. I can say that it feels like psychic tampering... and familiar, somehow... like I’ve come across this person’s handy work before somewhere, years ago.” She sighed. “For now, though, those two are no longer a threat, to you or anyone else.”

I nodded in relief, though I was still a bit nervous about whoever had sent them. Voltaire had mentioned something about a ‘file’ on me. And she knew my name. Pussycat and Sparky had been dealt with, but it still left a question about the person behind them... the one who had equipped them with the knowledge and gadgets they needed to confront me.

“As for your friend,” Aunt Eva continued a moment later, eyes closed, “the effects of that Sleep Sand have worn off, and aside from a little disorientation, she is back to her normal self... all things considered.”

“Thanks, Aunt Eva,” I said gratefully. “I really appreciate it. I’m sorry I had to call you in to help clean up this mess...”

“Nonsense, Katie dear,” she said with a grin. “You know very well that I’d do anything to help you out, child. With your mom and dad away, and your brother MIA, you could certainly use the aid. I’m just glad you thought to call me instead of trying to handle things all by yourself.”

Which made me blush even deeper. Had i not been so concerned with Jess and what else Manx might have done to her while I was occupied with Voltaire, I probably wouldn’t have called. Occupational hazard, mom used to call it. The tendency for the spandex wearing crowds to try and handle things by themselves rather than asking for help... to try and carry the load, no matter how heavy, on their own shoulders. I guess I’m guilty of that particular sin as well... heh... among others.

I glanced over at Jessica, who was talking to her mom. Or rather, being given the third degree by her. Mrs. DuMont had majorly freaked out over Voltaire’s attack. When the explosions started, she and the other members of the fair ran, ducking for cover. She’d assumed Jess and I had done the same—gotten the hell away from the danger, not ended up smack dab in the middle of ground zero. Once the dust settled, and she couldn’t find her daughter, she’d returned to the food court, fearing the worse.

And found her lying face down and unconscious in the middle of the grass.

Well, under the circumstances, I guess I’d have been freaked out, too, I thought with sympathy as Mrs. DuMont alternated between scolding and sobbing, clutching Jess so tightly that I thought she might pop. Jess managed to catch my gaze, her expression clearly saying ‘Help me’. With a sigh, preparing myself for my own tongue lashing, I stepped into the fire.

“...don’t know how this could have happened! You could have been hurt, could have been killed...” As I stepped into view, the older woman’s face twisted. “YOU! This is all YOUR fault!” she yelled loud enough that I took an involuntary step back. “You’re supposed to be some kind of hero, aren’t you? What were you thinking, dragging my daughter in the middle of a knock down-drag out fight?”

“Mom, please!” Jessica protested, intervening for my sake. “You’ve got it all wrong. Luminaire saved me! If it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t be standing up talking to you right now. I’d probably be still lying face down on the ground. If anything, you should be thanking her, not criticizing her!”

“No, no, Je... er, Miss DuMont,” I hastily amended, shaking my head. “It’s all right. Your mother is right. This was my fault. Those two came here looking for me. You wouldn’t have gotten hurt at all if I hadn’t been here.” Which was true enough. I felt hella guilty right now. Granted, she hadn’t been physically hurt. Even that first big explosion that knocked us both off our feet hadn’t done any real damage. The problem was that she could have been hurt. I turned to walk away, to lift off into the night sky, when she reached out to grab my shoulder.

“Hold on a sec. Please?” She glanced over at her mom. “I need to speak to umm… Luminaire, for a quick sec, mom. Alone? I promise I’ll be fine.” The older brunette glared at me for a moment before nodding, walking off, giving us some privacy. After a moment of uncomfortable silence, Jessica shook her head. “Yanno, sometimes I wonder whether you really have good luck at all, or whether you’re ‘cursed’ with the same kind of luck as your brother. And no, I’m not badmouthing Jimmy... I’m just pointing out that you have the second worst sense of timing of anyone I know.” I grinned despite myself.

“Yeah, well, yanno... things were getting really serious there for a minute.” I sobered quickly, remembering that we still hadn’t talked about the real issue. “Say, Jess... what Madrigal did to us... she changed us. She made us into her pets.. twisted our minds... unmade us, and recreated us into her perfect little pets. And I don’t know about you, but... even after everything Ms. Snow did to unravel the knot inside my brain, some of what she did to us is still there, yanno? And... it’s...”

“Confusing?” Jessica finished, stepping closer, staring into my eyes. “Yeah. I know. I get that. You think about how everything used to be, just a few short weeks ago.. and you look at how things are now... and you have to wonder, what’s real?”

“Exactly!” I said, thankful that she understood. We were definitely on the same wavelength now. “And, and... um... the other things? About... sharing the hotel room that week?” A slight blush crept back into my cheeks, mirroring the one flushing hers. “And.. sharing the same... bed?” Jess turned even darker. Good to know she was just as embarrassed and uncomfortable as I was. It made it easier to say this out loud. “That was...” I swallowed visibly, and she stepped closer to me, still staring into my eyes. “Those nights... I...” I swallowed again, and she leaned even closer, licking her own suddenly dry lips.

“Jessica... I... that week... despite everything that happened, and the way it ended...”

“Yes, Katie?” she asked, sounding strangely hopeful.

“That was the best experience of my entire life.”

And Jessica’s face lit up brighter than the sun, her smile cutting through all my doubts and worries about how things between us would be. She understands! She really does. And, she doesn’t regret what happened! Thank god. I was so afraid I was going to lose my best friend...

“Oh, Katie! I feel exactly the same way!” She pulled me into a tight hug. “Oh, Katie... I love you.”

“And I love you too, Jess,” I replied sincerely, clenching her close, enjoying her warmth.

“No, no, I mean... I love you, Katie.” Which caught me completely off guard. Blinking I released her, taking a single step back, not quite able to connect the dots. And in the space of a second, her lips were against mine, and we were kissing, my mouth slipping open, in shock more than pleasure, her tongue taking it as an open invitation to invade. She pulled back a moment later still smiling blissfully. “Oh, baby... I’ve wanted to tell you for so many years, for such a long long time... but I was afraid you would...” she stopped, her smile suddenly fading, “...look... at me... just like you are... right now...”

I was frozen. Stunned. Poleaxed. Jessica... loved me? Not as a friend, but as a lover, a sexual partner? And... HAD loved me, for years? My mind shut down. I couldn’t process this. I couldn’t... wrap my brain around the concept. And... that kiss. Coming out of nowhere... I mean... it felt good... I liked it! Hell I loved it... but... give a girl some warning or something...

“I see,” Jessica said softly, turning away. “I’m sorry, Katie. I didn’t mean to... make you uncomfortable... I just... I mean... I thought....” She was sniffing again, which meant she was crying, just barely holding back the tears. My heart ached. I reached out to touch her shoulder, to pull her back, not sure what to say to her, but needing to say something... anything.

But she turned and walked away. And I watched her go, still frozen, still mute, still numb with shock.

* * *

“Um... Sir? We have a problem.”

Duncan Frasier glanced up from his desk, a slight frown marring his perfect features. With a sigh of regret, he placed a bookmark in his book and set it aside. “Alright. What kind of problem?”

Richard swallowed uneasily. He was normally a cool customer, the kind of person who had no problem staring a person in the eye with a smile on his face just before slamming an icepick into the back of his or her skull. He was no stranger to high pressure situations, and had never failed to keep his composure. Yet, standing across from the well dressed man in the business suit at his maple wood desk, he found himself sweating bullets.

He imagined that he was not to first to have that reaction to Duncan Frasier’s presence.

“Um... yes, well, um... you see...”

“Spit it out, lad,” Duncan snapped, eyebrows pinching together in annoyance. “I don’t have all day.”

“Yes. Sorry. Um... River City. There was an incident. It seems our little ‘independent contractor’ decided to go rogue. She... went after the Frasier girl. Completely unsanctioned, Sir. I had nothing to do with it, I swear!”

Duncan merely sat there, calmly waiting. “And?” he prompted after a moment.

Slightly emboldened, Richard continued. “She, um... well, as you and Dr. MacDonald ordered, I sent one of our agents, Voltaire, to capture and abduct Katie Frasier. And, well... out of the blue, Manx showed up, took Voltaire down, and engaged Frasier in battle.” He sighed. “She managed to beat Manx and survive the encounter—”

“Well, of course she did,” Duncan replied with what appeared to be... pride? “She is a Frasier after all.”

“But... but as a result, both Manx and Voltaire were arrested by the police!” Richard protested. “They’re both in custody right now. What if they talk? What if they try and cut a deal of some kind?”

“There’s no worry of that,” Duncan replied calmly. “Our friend, Mr. Chang did a little ‘preliminary work’ on both girls before they were sent out. There won’t be any wagging tongues. And, if by some chance they encounter someone powerful and skilled enough to untie the knot Brainstorm tied of their memories, they still have no relevant information that can lead back to us. Any trail they follow will lead to a dead end. That’s the reason for the use of proxies... such as yourself.”

“Ah, um, yes,” Richard responded, somewhat uncomfortable. “So...what should we do next? We don’t have anyone active in the immediate area, but I could make a few calls—”

“No need, lad,” Duncan cut him off, dismissively. “Everything is just as it should be, all according to plan.”

Richard blinked again> “I... I don’t understand, Sir. I thought the idea was to have the girl carted up and sold at auction...”

Duncan sat up, leaning forward, glaring at the young man who fell silent. “I believe that is part of the problem right there. You were thinking, Mr. Turner... definitely not your strongest suit. I pay you to act, to follow orders, and I suggest that you concentrate on that.” He sighed deeply. “Not that it is any interest of yours, Mr. Turner, but despite the circumstances, the outcome was precisely what I wanted. My overall goal is to strike at Eugene Frasier through his children, to make waste valuable time, money, and resources in trying to protect his beloved offspring instead of focusing on the events happening in Washington D.C. at the Congressional hearing.”

“I... I see,” Richard said, slowly. “So... this was all misdirection? A distraction for your brother?”

“Congratulations,” Duncan said drily, clapping. “Captain Obvious finally gets it. You may go now,” he added, dismissing him. “I still want that item secured from Midas City within the week. I don’t care who you need to call in, just make sure it arrives as scheduled.” Deciding to leave with his remaining shreds of dignity, Richard turned and fled the office.

Duncan watched him go with a soft shake of his head. Moron... good minions are so hard to find these days. Still... he serves his purpose. And... if my brother’s pet psychic manages to pierce through everything Brainstorm put in their minds, well... He chuckled softly. There will be a trail for them to follow, but it leads to YOU, not to me! He chuckled again. And again, thanks to my newly acquired employee, Brian Chang, you’ll find yourself unable to do anything but confess to being the mastermind behind everything that has occurred.

Picking up the phone from his desk, he hit ‘two’ on his speed dial. " Yes, it’s me. I am moving up the timetable on this project. Get your people in place and be prepared to move at any time. I’ll give you the word myself when I’ve obtained both the items.” Receiving an acknowledgement, Duncan Frasier retrieved his book.

Everything is proceeding according to plan. Very soon I’ll have everything I ever wanted... ultimate power, strength and vitality... ultimate control, over the city, the country, and eventually, the world... and finally, ultimate revenge... against my traitorous brother and his evil bitch wife. Yes... soon, very soon, I’ll have it all. It’s just a matter of time.

((end))