The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Memories Make Us

Chapter 2

Three years later, on my parents’ anniversary, they’d gone out to dinner. For the first time, they left Dani in charge of me so they wouldn’t have to pay for a sitter. At 15, they finally considered her responsible enough to watch me. My relationship with my sister was complicated, even back then. We loved each other, but we were never very close. Anyone on the outside would expect us to be strangers from the way we interacted, but if I were in danger, she would definitely come to the rescue. And then blackmail me about it, probably. No, definitely.

“So where are they going?” I asked.

“Le Petite Reine.”

“Ooh, that’s expensive. Dad must really love her,” I said, teasingly.

“Yeah...” Dani had a strange look on her face.

“Yo...Earth to Dani...what’s up?”

“Nothing, I just...do you remember Mom and Dad used to fight all the time?”

“I guess. They haven’t fought in years, though.” I shrugged it off as unimportant.

“Yeah...not since the night you got in the middle of them.”

“What are you talking about?” I honestly had no idea where she was going with this.

“Like three years ago, they were fighting, and they were loud. I got out of bed to see if everything was okay, and you were there with them. And then they just...stopped fighting. And never did again. Doesn’t that seem weird to you?” She was clearly very concerned, but I still didn’t understand why.

“Um...I dunno. Maybe? So what?”

“So...I’m worried they’re still fighting, but they’re just hiding it from us. Like, they saw how upset you were, so now they’re just not letting us see how much they hate each other.”

“Hate each other?” I asked, shocked at the suggestion. “Nah, Mom and Dad are like the most in love people I’ve ever seen. They love each other, remember?” There it was. The key word. The one I didn’t know held any power yet.

Dani’s face quickly softened. “Yeah, you’re right. I mean, they even renewed their wedding vows last year. People who hate each other don’t do that, even if they’re trying to hide it. I’m just being stupid.” She stopped staring into space and looked at me. “Anyway, go do...something. I want to text Hank and I don’t need you reading over my shoulder.”

Before I could respond, she pushed me aside and left the room. That was weird, I thought to myself. She’d never been so open with me before. But then, the more important detail popped into my head. Wait, when did they renew their vows? Wouldn’t I have known about that? I sauntered into the family room and grabbed a recent photo album from the cabinet under the TV. As I flipped through it, I could find no photos of a wedding renewal. So I pulled out another album and continued, one album at a time, until all the albums were searched. Not a single photo of any renewal. So what was Dani talking about?

When Mom and Dad got home, the strangeness was still on my mind, so I decided to go straight to the source. “Mom, Dad, when did you get your wedding vows renewed?”

They both gave me a confused look. “What do you mean?”

“I can’t find any photos of it. When was it?”

“But we didn’t...what are you talking about, kiddo?” Dad asked, completely perplexed.

“So you guys don’t remember renewing your vows?”

“Of course we do, Jack,” Mom said. “But I just don’t understand why you’re asking about it.”

“You...do? So why aren’t there any photos of it?”

“They’re probably in some album that’s hidden behind a pile somewhere. What’s going on?”

I was flabbergasted. I didn’t know what to do, what to say. So all I said was, “Oh. Um, nothing. Never mind.” And then I ran into my room and closed the door behind me.

What had just happened? I had no idea. Dad was clearly about to say that they didn’t renew their vows. And then they just...said they did. Suddenly, as if they’d only just remembered, but didn’t know they had forgotten. Only after I’d asked if they remembered... something clicked. At 13, I wasn’t the brightest kid in the world, but I wasn’t an idiot. It was as though they’d remembered something only after I’d asked if they did. As though...I had made them remember. But the albums didn’t lie: there was not a single photo of their ceremony, and Mom and Dad were photo-record freaks. They even took a picture of every single tooth Dani and I ever lost—so how could they just not have anything from such an important event? Because it never happened...everyone else just remembered it did. I thought back to earlier that day, how Dani had thought they didn’t love each other, until I’d asked her to remember that they did. And then my mind followed the topic from earlier, going back 3 years to the night of the fight.

I had said, “don’t you remember that you love each other?” At that moment, though I didn’t know, my mom and dad had both had sudden flashbacks. They’d remembered all the things that they loved about each other. All the romantic evenings, the supportive nights, all of it. Thing is, some of those memories weren’t even real. “Love,” I had said. Present tense. And so, they’d remembered what they needed to in order to justify a current love for each other, even though such memories didn’t exist. And in that moment, they fell in love with each other all over again.

Now, I had a casual interest in comic books at the time, and one thing I knew was that mind controllers were always the villains. But so far, I’d used the power to bring my family back together, and to reassure my sister of that. Nothing was evil about it. So if society thought I was supposed to be evil, what else were they wrong about? I slowed myself down. I didn’t even know for sure if I had any powers, or if I was just imagining it. I needed to make sure. To test it. But how? I spent some time thinking of a plan.

At dinner the next night, we discussed normal family things. School, work, how did I behave last night under Dani’s watch? And then, I set my plan in motion.

“Hey, Dad, have you seen my helicopter?”

“Your what?” he asked. I didn’t have a helicopter, so of course he didn’t know what I meant.

“That RC helicopter you bought me. Have you seen it? I can’t find it.”

“You don’t have an RC helicopter, you dork,” Dani chimed in.

“Don’t you guys remember?” I said, hopefully triggering a response. “The one Dad got me for Christmas last year?”

“Oh, right, that toy,” Dad said. Bingo. “Don’t tell me you lost it already?”

“That was expensive, Jack; you need to take better care of your things.” I grinned internally and thought, No, it wasn’t, Mom, because you never bought it. But I kept the smile inside and just said, “Sorry. I’m sure it’s somewhere...“

The rest of dinner was uneventful, but there it was. I had my proof. Everyone else remembered my chopper Christmas present, which doesn’t exist, just because I’d asked them to. It was real, and it worked. What’s more, no one was at all confused about why Dani had explicitly admitted that the toy wasn’t real. They just assumed she’d forgotten and moved on. After dinner, I watched a bit of TV in my room, but I couldn’t focus. What else could I use this power for? A use would find itself thrust into my arms with impeccable timing.

The next day was a Monday. I had school. I used my power to make Mom remember that she always made me waffles before school. Those were some of the most satisfying waffles I’d ever eaten. I privately helped my math teacher remember that he promised the class a 10-point curve on the last test, bringing my grade up to a B. And I helped the lunch lady remember that I was on a special meal plan that allowed me two desserts per meal—delicious cookies they were.

When I got home, Mom and Dad were still at work. This wasn’t unusual; for the last few years they’d figured I was old enough to spend an hour at home with Dani. But today, Dani was in the bathroom with the door closed. I could hear the shower running and thought nothing of it. As I put my book-bag down on a kitchen chair, though, I noticed her phone was laying on the table. She never was very good about putting passwords on her devices...just a peek at her texts wouldn’t hurt. I just wanted to see what she was texting Hank, her boyfriend, 24/7 that was so secret I couldn’t even be in the room when she did. I figured it was kissy pictures or something. I was half-right.

Scrolling through her texts, I came upon the most glorious sight I’d ever seen. Now, first I should tell you that my sister is gorgeous. Like, there’s no beauty competition in the world that she wouldn’t win, nor any wet T-shirt contest. Ever since I had started puberty, with all those hormones rushing around my bloodstream, I occasionally caught myself staring at her. Sometimes it was her face, her luscious lips or beautiful eyes. But more often, my pupils were locked onto her shapely ass or bountiful bust. Ever hear the phrase, “too much of a good thing”? Well, she wasn’t that. Her tits were not too big, not too small; “hand-held size”, I’d call them. And as a soccer player, every muscle in her body was toned at all times. I know, she’s my sister and I shouldn’t think of her that way. But I already told you what I think about society’s assumptions: not all mind controllers are evil, and not all incest is bad. Right?

Anyway, the text. As I scrolled down, suddenly there appeared a photo of Dani lying on her bed. With not a stitch of clothing on. She’d been sexting her boyfriend, and my snooping got me a VIP pass to see it. I stared for a moment, committing the image to memory, then turned the phone screen off and placed it carefully where it had been. That image got me through many a stressful night, and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Now, I could have used my power to do something about this, but at the time, I was still pretty convinced it was wrong. So instead, I kept it in the realm of fantasy. For a few years.