The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

© 2007, le Duc de Kavaliere

Midsummer Knight’s Dream

Part 6

Act Two, Scene One

Colleen’s Gypsy Songbird band settled in to the fairgrounds in the days leading up to the opening weekend, and I got to know the singers—mostly because I helped carry their baggage and set up their tents in the nearby campgrounds. The others working there were a fun and rowdy bunch. I immediately fell in with a troupe of actors. Duncan, their manager, was elated when he found out I was working for the new singing group, and invited us all to dinner.

As the crowd gathered around the burners—there were no open flames allowed in the campgrounds—I introduced the troupe.

The Songbirds’ manager was also their first soprano, a wisp of a girl with light brown hair named Kaitlin.

The first alto was a down-to-earth Latina woman named Alondra. She was one of those people you just like at once. She was sensible, engaging without being overly outgoing, and quick to propose new ideas.

The dark-complexioned Rissa was the troupe’s only mezzo-soprano. Brynna occasionally did background vocals, but focused on playing the guitar. Jiliana had curly brown hair and a cheery outlook. She’d immigrated from Britain in her teens, and still had the accent.

I introduced Cleo and Saoirse together. The group’s resident couple, they had been singing together for a while, and enhanced the Songbirds’ harmony with a strong melody.

Per her request, I presented my fiancee as Zelasha—and the actors applauded when I said we were engaged.

“Last but not least, the amazing Francine,” I said, nodding to her around the circle. Full-figured with silky blonde hair, she’d occupied herself in conversation and was only half paying attention to my introductions.

“Hey, don’t forget us,” Clancy pointed out. The drummer was bony, with an intelligent face and light skin that contrasted with the dark colors he often wore. Tonight, his light brown hair was hidden beneath a cap.

“Don’t yell at me,” I countered with a grin. “You’re not a girl!”

He shrugged. “Clancy is kind enough to accompany the Songbirds on the bodhran,” I explained. “And when his talents are required, Prentice plays the banjo.” The lanky red-haired fellow waved.

“And what exactly is your role?” one of the actors inquired with a laugh. Ricardo, I think his name was. He was stocky, with a dark complexion and a deep voice.

I sighed. “I move furniture, mostly.”

“Someone’s whipped,” Lawrence declared, to scattered chuckles.

Shaking my head, I walked over to Zelasha, and took her in my arms—then dipped her into a huge kiss. Grinning, my fiancee’s arms went around me, and she kissed back happily.

“Well, Zelasha?” Francine demanded. “Who’s really in charge?”

My fiancee and I exchanged glances, and she gave me her crooked smile. “I let her think she is,” I finally said, to more laughs.

* * *

The next morning was the Friday before the Faire opened. I had just finished setting up the Gypsy Stage for the Songbirds’ rehearsal when someone realized we’d forgotten the ice chest. Dutifully, I headed back towards the campgrounds to fetch it.

Everyone at the Faire was working like bees doing last-minute preparations for their shops and booths. It was at this point I turned a corner, and nearly ran into a tall dark-haired woman.

I did a double-take. She was wearing jeans, a white tee shirt, and tall black boots. She appeared to be deep in thought, and was absently eating a golden apple.

I could barely believe my eyes. “Miss Scarlett?” I exclaimed.

The woman blinked in recognition, and smiled. “Nicholas! What a surprise!”

She remembered me! Despite my amazement, I remembered to shake hands.

As I smiled at her, I realized that this was probably the first time I’d ever seen the woman without makeup. This didn’t diminish her beauty. Instead of her usual exotic flair, her appeal today was more natural. Still, her height—coupled with her stunning long black hair—meant that she’d never be just the girl next door.

She released my hand, and I felt a finger touch the inside of my palm. Yikes! I jerked my hand back. Miss Scarlett looked baffled for a moment, then grinned. Her dark eyes seemed to light up in mirth.

“Don’t worry, Nicholas, I am not trying to hypnotize you,” she teased, laughing. “Which reminds me—how is Zelasha?”

She’d used my fiancee’s stage name. Obviously, it was the one that had made an impression upon her. Goodness, she remembered us—but how much of our previous encounter had stuck in her mind?

Colleen and I had attended one of Miss Scarlett’s stage shows last fall. As Zelasha, my fiancee had nibbled on my neck in front of an audience, then—in private—tried to bite Miss Scarlett as well. Of course, “Zelasha” was a deliciously sexy alias—and, frankly, it fit my fiancee better than her given name did.

“She’s doing good,” I told her. “She’s one of the Gypsy Songbirds—they’re practicing over there somewhere.” I waved my hand vaguely in the direction of their stage.

“She is? That’s great—I knew she had the voice for it,” Miss Scarlett told me. “And you’re here as...”

I smiled wryly, and counted off on my fingers. “Well, let’s see—I can’t act, I can’t sing, I don’t know any magic tricks—so I’m a stagehand at the moment.”

The dark-haired hypnotist tilted her head. “Well, then, I’ll have to see if I can steal you—I could certainly use the help.”

I must have looked nervous, because she laughed again. “Goodness, I must have made quite an impression last year! Nicholas, I promise, I won’t hypnotize you unless you ask me to.” She winked.

I tried not to show how nervous her teasing made me. Last year, Zelasha and I had promised that we’d only hypnotize each other, and I wasn’t about to break my word. “Thanks, I appreciate that!” I said out loud.

Scarlett nodded. “Would you and Zelasha like to have dinner together later? I’d love to introduce you to my girlfriend.”

That did it. I was surprised, and I’m sure I didn’t manage to hide it. I’d been a fan of this woman for several years, and I’d had no idea she was a lesbian. Fortunately, Miss Scarlett only laughed some more.

“Yes, I have a girlfriend,” she said, and touched me on the arm, teasing. “We don’t know that many other people at the Faire, and we’d love the company.”

Her laughter was contagious, and I found myself grinning back at her. “Well, I’ll have to check with Zel, but I’m sure she’ll accept.”

“Splendid! We’ll see you later, then.” Miss Scarlett leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. We were the same height; if anything, she might even be taller. I bowed to her gallantly, then continued on my errand.

This was going to be an interesting season, indeed.

* * *

Zelasha had looked at me in stark disbelief when I told her I’d run into Miss Scarlett, but readily accepted the dinner invitation. We’d agreed to meet her at the entrance to the campground at six o’clock that afternoon.

I arrived a minute or two late, but there was no sign of the exotic hypnotist. Instead, waiting for me was one of the most beautiful women I’d ever seen. She was petite, with delicate hands and a small-boned face. Crystal-clear blue eyes glittered above an aristocratic nose and a gentle mouth. Her blue bodice was done up with black laces, and her elegant lavender gown had just a hint of sable trim. But loveliest of all was her hair. A natural golden-blonde, it was clasped in two barrettes on either side of her head, and flowed down over her back to her waist in a shining curtain.

She extended her hand. “Emily.”

I shook it lightly, and it dawned on me who this was. “Nick Brannock. You’re Scarlett’s girlfriend?”

The blonde woman nodded. “She asked me to guide you back to our tent. Are we still on for dinner tonight?”

“Actually, yes, that’s where I’m headed,” I said.

Emily had a gentle voice that was somehow alluring without being overtly sexy—but there was no doubt that a quiet femininity was concealed within, just beneath the surface. “My fiancee had a last-minute meeting with the Songbirds—she said she’d meet us there.”

Emily smiled; it was a mysterious expression that implied that there was far more going on in her brain than she would ever let on. “You’re engaged to a Songbird? That’s wonderful.” She inclined her head.

“She’s in school, working on her music degree.” I paused. “What about you?”

“I paint,” Emily said softly. “I’m getting lots of inspiration here.”

“I believe it,” I told her. “If you don’t mind me asking, what’s it like dating a hypnotist?”

Emily laughed. “Scarlett is something, as you can imagine. She’s... exciting.” The blonde woman’s eyes grew dreamy. “I never know what’s going to happen next.”

I grinned. “My fiancee is the same way, I suppose.”

Emily smiled at me. I’d known her for only a few minutes, and had quickly realized she wasn’t one to wear her heart on her sleeve. I thought I could know this woman for years and still be unable to read her.

But I could see from the light in her eyes that Emily was in love.

I knew exactly how she felt. Scarlett’s girlfriend was quiet, not at all imposing, but she had a soft poise and grace that complimented her delicate beauty. But she wasn’t Zelasha.

“And you?” she asked.

“Hmm? Oh, I’m a stagehand,” I said. “I know, really exciting.”

Emily shrugged. “What about the off season?”

The annoying thing about having been the world’s first time traveller was that I couldn’t tell anybody about it. “Well, I was a recruiter,” I explained. “Now I do web design, a lot of it for charity. The Songbirds’ website is my work.”

“I’ll check it out,” Emily promised.

“Hey, you,” came the voice I loved. I turned my head in its direction, and saw Zelasha hurrying towards us. I stepped towards her, caught her in my arms, and spun her around. Giggling, my fiancee kissed me on the lips.

Her costume today was a low-cut gold dress that showed off her generous figure. It flowed around her arms and bosom like polished metal. A purple bodice bound her torso. Below her waist, her dress rippled luxuriantly down to her ankles; a fishnet overskirt completed its grandeur. Her wavy red hair, bound only by a violet bandanna, fell down almost to her waist.

“Emily, I would like you to meet my fiancee, Zelasha,” I said. “Zel...”

Emily was staring at my wife-to-be like she had two heads.

“Um, this is Emily, Scarlett’s girlfriend,” I finished lamely.

“Nice to meet you,” the redhead said. “Are you all right?”

“Er, yes, sorry,” the blonde woman replied. “This way, I’ll show you to our tent.”

Emily and Scarlett had set up an elaborate pavilion with an attached foyer. Within was a card table. The entire thing was protected by mosquito netting. Four plates were already set, and dinner was steaming.

Miss Scarlett approached us, toweling her hands, and welcomed us with a smile.

“Emily dear; good to see you, Nicholas,” she said. “And this must be...”

“Scarlett, you remember Zelasha,” I began. For a moment, the hypnotist’s face wore the same puzzled expression that her girlfriend’s had a few minutes earlier. But, just as quickly as it had appeared, it was gone. “My fiancee,” I added.

“Congratulations,” Miss Scarlett said in that amazingly sensual Southern drawl. “Zelasha—you look beautiful.”

My fiancee curtseyed. “Thank you, Miss Scarlett.”

* * *

“These artichokes are delicious!” Zelasha said as dinner ended. “Miss Scarlett, when did you have the time to prepare all this?”

The hypnotist laughed. “I didn’t,” she said. “I convinced some of the food vendors to give me samples.”

“Did you get any chocolate?” my fiancee asked.

Scarlett and I both smiled. “No,” the Southerner admitted, “but I can ask for you next time.” She looked from Zelasha to me and back again. “May I ask how y’all two met?”

We exchanged smiles. “In person, you mean?” I asked.

“All right,” Emily said.

“Nick tried to come to a show my group gave in New Orleans a few years ago,” my fiancee explained. “He missed the show, but caught up with me in my hotel room later.”

“There were sparks,” I added.

Scarlett looked at her girlfriend. “I know what that’s like.”

“How did you two meet?” Zelasha asked innocently.

There was a brief pause. “It’s a bit embarrassing, actually,” Emily confessed. “Scarlett was giving a show near where I lived, and my friend dragged me along. I fell asleep in the audience, and ended up volunteering.”

“That really happens?” Zelasha said, her green eyes wide.

Scarlett nodded. “I’ve seen it a few times,” the hypnotist said.

Oh lord, I thought. What I wouldn’t give to be a fly on the wall! To see Scarlett perform, to see people fall asleep in the audience, to see her welcome them onto the stage... it would be incredible. And then to see them wake up, having no idea what they were doing there. Was that what it had been like for Emily?

“I insisted we go to the show the next day,” the blonde woman was saying, “and then I went backstage to thank her.” She looked at her girlfriend, tilting her head slightly to one side. “Was that our first kiss?”

“I think our second, actually,” Miss Scarlett admitted.

Emily shrugged. “We’ve seen each other off and on ever since.” She regarded the dark-haired hypnotist. “I hope that you might consider staying once the season ends.”

“I have no plans to go,” the Southerner said softly.

With a grin, I took Zelasha’s hand and gave a gentle tug. My fiancee grinned at me, lapis lazuli eyes sparkling, and our lips met for a long kiss.

It was a private moment. After kissing for a while, we glanced over at the other couple, and they were appreciating each other with equal enthusiasm.

“Do you think we should...” Zel whispered.

Part of me wanted to stay for another moment or two and steal discrete glances of Scarlett and Emily kissing—but then I saw the desire in my fiancee’s eyes.

“Probably,” I replied, and we made our exit as quietly as possible.