The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Paper Doll II: Symphony of Submission

By J. Darksong

Part 1: Sunshine and Rainbows

My name is Claire and I’m a super hero.

I’m also a college student, working through my sophomore year at River City University. I haven’t quite settled into a major just yet, but I’m leaning strongly towards something in medicine. Unfortunately, medical degrees are really tough, and require a lot of study and hard work. I’m pretty smart, I did well on my SAT’s and came to RCU with a full scholarship, but when you have regular night time ‘extra-curricular activities’, it makes it kind of hard to find time to fit in homework and studying.

Still, my life as a costumed crimefighter wasn’t going away anytime soon. And in the end, no matter what major I settled on, and what career I finally chose, it would all be worth the blood, sweat, and tears at the end. Heck, if Peter Parker could manage it, I sure as hell could!

“Hey! Claire!” my best galpal Allison called out, walking over to me. “Where ya heading?”

“Where else?” I replied, lifting my bookbag. “Cal 2.”

“Calculus 2?” she said shuddering, earning a laugh from me. “Ugh! Better you than me! I did good to make it through Pre-Calculus with all my grey matter intact!”

“Are you sure?” I teased. “The jury’s still out on that one.”

“Har de har har,” she replied good-naturedly. “At any rate, I’m heading home. My geology instructor, Professor Brown, called out sick today, so my next class is cancelled.”

I rolled my eyes. “This is the third time in two weeks that you’ve gotten to go home early. I’d almost accuse you of poisoning your instructors just to be able to leave.”

Allison laughed. “Not me. But I wouldn’t put it past a few of my classmates. At any rate, I’ll catch up to you later,” she said heading down the hallway. “Are we still on for movie night tomorrow at my place?”

“I’m planning on it,” I called after her, “as long as I don’t have to ‘work’.”

Work. That was the code word we used to describe whether or not I was going out on patrol for the night. It was kind of like work, after all—the pay was non-existent, and the hours sucked, but on days when things went right I always went home feeling good about the job being well done. I wasn’t planning to ‘work’ this weekend, but I’d noticed a pretty big upswing in criminal activity lately in the area. If things got dicey, I might have no choice but to go out and help the police keep the city streets safe.

Those were my thoughts as I made my way upstairs to the Calculus 2 classroom. Several of the other students were already there, seated and ready, by the time I took my own seat. Including her I noticed with a mild annoyance. My classmates and I called her ‘The Prodigy’. Cal 2 was no joke. It was easily a junior or even senior level class, depending on your major. With my major, I was taking it a year early at the sophomore level. The Prodigy, however, was taking this class as a freshman! Virtually unheard of. Well, mostly unheard of. I’d heard that another prodigy had taken and passed Cal 2 a few years ago while still in high school, auditing the class and testing out of it with a perfect score on the placement exam. The guy had apparently gone on to get his bachelor’s degree in two years, receiving his diploma before he’d turned sixteen! I mean… Damn! I was no slouch, but someone like that made even The Prodigy seems like a student riding the short bus to school.

My thoughts drifted from the brainiac sitting behind me to the pair of girls in front of me, however, as part of their conversation caught my ear. “…just saying, there seem to be a lot of metas in this city,” the tall pale skinned girl, Tina, said to her dusky skinned companion, Janika. “Maybe not as many as in Midas City, but this place certainly has its fair share. It’s like you can’t glance up in the sky or cross a street without seeing one.”

The dark skinned girl chuckled. “They’re called ‘Supers’ sweetie,” she said with a grin, “and yeah, we have a lot in this city. But it still doesn’t hold a candle to your home town. What’s the saying? You can’t toss a dead cat in Midas without hitting a Super.”

Both girls chuckled, with annoyed me even more. I’d never been to Midas City myself but I’d heard the tales. ‘The City of a Thousand Supers’. Pretty impressive really. They had some pretty big names from there, like Silver Girl, Psyche, and the Blue Fox, real heroines that had saved their city hundreds of times. But my city had Armor Man, and Omega Girl, and Luminaire… heroes that had not only saved the city but the entire world as well. Not that it was a competition or anything. I certainly didn’t include MY name with the giants I’d just listed. It just irked me to hear a couple of snotty know-it-all girls talking smack about my community.

“You know, you don’t see or hear much about Omega Girl these days,” Tina commented, grabbing my attention once again. “Isn’t she, like, your city’s main defender or something?”

Janika shrugged. “True. But I guess when you’re that big and famous, you don’t really have to make much of an appearance. Yeah, we still get the local level street thugs and common criminals plaguing the city, but most really really BAD psychos, the kind of folks that would want to take over the city or destroy it outright, tend to leave us alone just on her reputation alone.” She glanced at her friend sidelong. “I mean, would you want to tangle with someone who can crush a Sherman tank flat like an aluminum can with one hand?”

Tina shook her head. “Not me. I don’t have a deathwish. Still, you’d think even the High and Mighty Omega Girl would have made an appearance with that big debacle a few weeks ago, when that Luminaire girl nearly destroyed the world—“

I slapped my hand loudly against my desk rising to my feet. I’d had more than enough of this and was about tell these two girls off, when the instructor stepped into the room. “All right everyone, take your seats,” he said loudly, moving to his desk with a handful of papers clutched in his hand. Sighing, I sat back down, then blinked in surprise to find The Prodigy also taking her seat as well, an angry expression on her face as she glared hotly in my direction.

Huh. I wonder if she’d overheard the two talking, and was about to tell them off as well? But… no, she’s too far away, all the way back in the back row. No way she could have heard them as softly as they were talking. Maybe it was… something else? Shaking my head, I sat back down and focused my attention on the instructor.

* * *

Well, so much for movie night, I thought glumly, crouching down on the roof of the bell tower at the center of RCU’s administrative building. And I was really looking forward to some down time, too.

It’s funny sometimes now quickly things can change. My patrol was going along so smoothly, too. I’d scouted the parks and the local alleyways, checked out the red light district, and even skirted along the border of the financial district. Everything was quiet and peaceful. Which, as I should have known, was usually the point when things tend to go sour. I was just swooping back onto campus to grab my books and head home when I noticed something odd at the arts and music department building. It was nearly nine o’clock at night, and the building should have been shut down, but I could clearly see a light of some kind moving around in the otherwise darkened building.

Even more telling, I noticed the front door ajar, and when I got close enough to investigate, I found the door had been forced, nearly hanging off its hinges, and what appeared to be several security guards lying unconscious on the front lobby floor. Pulling the door open and slipping inside, I frowned, glancing down at my hand. Ugh. It’s wet. I’d thought maybe the crook had used some kind of machine to force it open, but maybe it was some kind of chemical instead. Quickly shaking the wetness from my glove, hoping it didn’t dissolve on me, I made my way into the lobby.

A quick check on the guards confirmed the good news—they were all unconscious but alive. Great. Whoever this guy is, at least he’s not a complete psycho. Rising back to my feet, I made my way towards the direction I’d seen the light flashing. Opening my backpack, grabbing a few sheets of paper just in case I glanced around the corner. Huh. Okay… I might have spoken too soon when I said he’s not a complete psycho.

Just inside the main office I spotted the would-be thief, a young woman dressed in a bright blue skintight body suit with various music notes all over. Her long black hair was tied back in a ponytail, and a mask covered her upper face. She even wore a ‘utility belt’ or sorts around her waist, though it seemed to be filled with small musical instruments rather than useful tools or weapons. In short, she looked like a total nutcase.

And yet, if I’d learned nothing in my short time as a costumed heroine, I’d learned to never underestimate my opponents. Most times, the more innocent or innocuous the foe, the more dangerous and deadly they turned out to be. Besides, she’d already disabled half a dozen security guards, apparently all on her own. I’d taken quite a few self-defense classes but I was no martial artist. No, I needed to be careful. Moving carefully, I opened the door, intending to sneak up behind her… just as she turned around, staring directly at me, holding a large cello case.

Well… crap.

We stared at each other for a moment in shock, before we both took a step back. “SO! A lone defender of the night seeks to keep me from my prize?” she said, dropping the case, drawing a pair of harmonicas from her belt, brandishing them like knives. “Well, you are out of luck. No one can stop The Crescendo! I shall depart with my prize intact. You, my dear, will be left to sing the blues.”

I groaned inwardly. Music puns. Yep, this was definitely going to be one of those days. “Sorry, um, Crescendo, was it?” I asked, forming the paper in my hands into a pair of batons. “I’m afraid I can’t let you walk out of here with school property. If you want a nice cello of your own, there’s a perfectly good music store down on Fifth Street—“

“You fool!” the villainess yelled, tossing her harmonicas at me, aiming for my head. In an instant, I reacted, spreading and hardening my paper into a shield, deflecting the musical missiles. With a flick of my wrists, I sent out two projectiles of my own, a pair of paper airplanes, which Crescendo nimbly dodged. Her eyes narrowed. “I know you now,” she said with a smirk. “You’re that new heroine that recently popped up on the scene… the one that controls paper. What’s your name again? Daisy Chain? Red Rover… something silly like that—“

“It’s Paper Doll,” I growled, rushing forward, batons at the ready. I swung for her shoulder, but again, she dodged, pulling a flute from her belt, countering my strikes with strikes of her own. Her obvious skill showed. All too soon, she had me backing away slowly but surely towards the doorway again, her movements so precise and fluid I could barely counter them. In desperation, I took her taunt as advice, forming a paper chain, wrapping around her weapon on the next strike, and pulled, jerking it from her grasp. Instead of being caught off guard, however, she simply let go, causing me to stumble back off balance, then dropped low and whirled, her foot sweep knocking me to the ground.

“Well, it’s been real, Paper Doll,” she said, retrieving the cello case, making her way to the nearby window, “but I have places to go and people to meet. So let’s consider this the coda of our little movement and simply say adieu!”

Growling, refusing to give her the satisfaction, I emptied my backpack, sending a wall of papers in front of the window, sealing it off. “It’s not over yet, Crescendo!” I said, getting back to my feet. Perturbed, she turned back to face me again, but not wanting to hear more inane musical banter, I cocooned her, sending my thickest strands of paper at her mouth, gagging her silent. Eyes wide, she shrieked frantically, her objections effectively muffled, as I retrieved the cello case from her grasp. “Sorry, hon, but it looks like you lose.” I turned to leave. “Don’t worry though, I’ll notify Campus PD and the real police on my way out and someone will be along to unwrap you—“

A huge jolt of force hit me from behind, sending my flying across the room, slamming me hard into the wall. Completely unprepared, I banged my head pretty hard, and I saw stars as I slid down the side of the wall, landing in a crumple on the floor. Stunned, it took me several seconds to realize what had happened, and what was happening now. I’d been attacked. I was dazed. And soaking wet. Across the room, Crescendo stood, panting, a hand outstretched towards me, very much NOT cocooned, and looking extremely pissed off.

“Okay,” she said angrily, raising both arms towards me as I struggled to get back to my feet. “No more Miss Nice Villain.” Before I could even think about dodging, a stream of pure water shot forth from her hands, pinning me to the wall. It was like being drilled by a fire hose; all I could do was scream and hold on, trying to protect myself with my arms. When the water finally stopped and the pressure released, I slid back down the wall and stayed down…

* * *

“Hey! Are you all right?”

Blinking awake, trying to shake the cobwebs, I glanced up into a brooding masked figure towering over me. So, naturally, I reacted like any sane and rational person. I screamed and flung a bunch of papers up into the air.

“Hey! Calm down, take it easy!” she said, jerkin back, both hands up. “Relax! I’m not going to hurt you. My name is Sunbeam. I’m a heroine like you. Just relax, okay?”

“Sunbeam?” I said, panting, willing the adrenaline to cycle back down. Looking again through clearer eyes, I now noticed the familiar dusky caramel complexion, and the tell-tale bright orange and yellow jumpsuit with mask. Chagrined, I willed back the paper storm, and rose back to my feet, wincing slightly at the pain in my ribs. “Sorry about that. I’m a little off my game. I was jumped earlier by some wacko calling herself Crescendo…”

Sunbeam nodded, sighing deeply. “Crescendo, huh? Well, that figures,” she said softly. Glancing around, she scowled. “But why come here? And what did she take?”

“A cello,” I replied grimly, wringing the water out of my hair, letting it drip down annoyingly behind me. “I don’t know much about it, but I do recall something about it being on loan from the River City police department, wanting the eggheads at the university to examine it, hence all the armed guards.” Grumbling, I wiped away the trail of water running down my face. “Dammit, I’m soaked. I should really go back home and change into dry clothes… but I really don’t want to let that nutcase run around free.” I glanced at Sunbeam hopefully. “I don’t suppose your powers can dry me off?”

“Sorry,” the dark beauty replied ruefully. “Lord knows how many times I’ve wished they worked that way. But my beams are basically just offense, used to blast things and blow things up. Trying to dry your clothes would be like using a flamethrower to iron out the wrinkles—sure, it could technically do the job, but you wouldn’t want to wear your clothes afterwards.”

I nodded. “Point taken. Ah, well, I guess I can deal with wet clothes for a little while… at least as long as it takes to pound some sense into that crazy demented—“

“Hey! Calm down,” Sunbeam said, stepping in front of me. “Look. I know she was a bit… rough on you,” she said, glancing down at her feet. “But… I mean… it’s not her fault…”

I gaped at her incredulously. “It’s not her fault? She attacked me with musical instruments and blasted me into a wall with a geyser coming out of her hands! And she stole that cello on loan from the police! I’d be willing to bet it’s no ordinary musical instrument. I’m not about to let her get away with this—“

“I know,” Sunbeam replied grimly. “And we will stop her. Both of us. It’s just… we have to do it kind of gently. We don’t want to hurt her.”

“You’re defending a criminal?” I asked, glaring at her.

“SHE’S NOT A CRIMINAL!” Sunbeam yelled back, startling me. “She’s my partner, dammit! Her name is Splash, and she’s a hero just like us.” At my look, she sighed deeply. “I guess I’d better explain. Let me tell you what happened.”

* * *

My partner Splash and I only recently came to River City. I’m a native, born and bred, but Splash is from Midas City. We came here together for, um, personal reasons, but we’d only been here for a couple of weeks when we’d heard a report of some kind of disturbance at the local mall downtown. We decided to head down and help, and I arrived first. The one behind the attack was a young woman named Cadenza, who had placed nearly all of the mall patrons under her spell through the music she was playing with this mysterious blue metallic cello. I stopped her by blasting her bow, stopping her performance, but she simply retaliated, using a replacement bow, and put me under her spell as well.

Just before I met my untimely fate as her eternally broken, mindless minion, Splash arrived and saved me. She stopped Cadenza and broke me and the others from the spell of her music. Then she pounded that musical menace until she was a soggy wet mess for the police to cart off to jail. With her locked up, the police took possession of her cello, but were unable to comfortably store it. Apparently whatever material it was composed of caused problems with the station’s lock up security monitors and electronics. So they asked that some of the scientists and specialists at the University take a look at it and see if they could determine the best way to handle it.

Seeing as how we’d seen firsthand what that cello could do in the wrong hands, Splash and I decided to keep tabs on it, just to make sure no one tried anything. And it was just as well. Another local music based criminal found out about the cello and decided he wanted it for himself. He made a pre-emptive strike by going after several of the experts assigned to investigate the cello, abducting them, and bending them to his will. We were too late to catch the others, but we did manage to catch up with him when he took Professor Brown. We tracked them back to the villain’s hide out, conveniently enough, an old abandoned music store. And… that’s when everything went horribly wrong...

* * *

“Are we sure he’s in here?” Sunbeam asked her partner, glancing about the darkened deserted building. Splash shrugged.

“You saw them come in through the side entrance the same as me,” she reminded her. “They’ve got to be in here somewhere. It’s just a question of finding them.”

Sunbeam held up her right hand which began to glow lightly shedding light in the darkness as a soft humming sound filled the area. “There’s got to be a hidden door or something leading to a basement level,” she reasoned, glancing around. “I mean, the whole abandoned music store as a hideout I can understand as a theme, but realistically, it’s not really much of a headquarters. All this junk and clutter spread around is just distracting and a waste of space.”

“Maybe so, but it also serves as a bit of an early warning system,” Splash announced, pointing out a series of thin barely visible tripwires lining the floor in various areas, all connecting to the ruined remains of an old drum set. “Come on and watch your step. If we take our time we should be able to sneak up on this guy before he even knows we’re here. We have the advantage as long as we have the element of—“

Suddenly the area was flooded with light as the overhead lights suddenly switched on, illuminating the entire room. A man dressed in a flamboyant black tuxedo and mask stood on a small walkway ramp on the level above, clutching a small oboe, glaring down at the two heroines. Two masked minions, dressed in light blue bodysuits with musical notes stitched all over, stood at his side.

“—surprise, goddammit,” Splash muttered. “Okay, new plan. We go offensive and bust up Mr. Tuxedo in a direct assault!”

“Mr. Tuxedo?” the man replied, laughing. “How plebian! No, my dear, you stand facing The Piper,” he announced, holding out his oboe, placing it to his lips. “And while I enjoy instructing new students, I do not abide disrespect.” He snapped his fingers, and the minion to the left pulled a switch on the wall. “So, my dears, it is time for you to pay the Piper!”

“Whaaaa—aaaaaahhhh!!” Sunbeam yelled as she found herself falling, slipping through a trap door in the floor, descending into darkness…

* * *

“The Piper, huh?” I said, frowning. “Well, that explains a lot. So…what happened next? You said you fell through a trap door, but obviously you survived. You’re here after all. How did we get to this point from there?”

“Well, as I said, I fell through the trap door, so I don’t know exactly what happened to my partner, but I can guess. The Piper uses his music to entrance and ensnare people, and control their minds. When I landed, I found four of the Piper’s minions waiting for me. They attacked, and I fought them off. It was tough fighting four on one but I managed to best them. And when I unmasked them, I found that they were actually the missing professors and specialists kidnapped from the University! The Piper had brainwashed them and used them as his minions.”

Damn, I thought grimly. And to think I was teasing Allie earlier about her classes being cancelled all week because of her instructors calling in sick.

“By the time I managed to make it back up from the basement, the Piper was gone. And Splash was lying facedown on the floor, unconscious.” She sighed softly. “I didn’t think anything of it when she said later that the Piper had gotten the drop on her and made his escape. Afterwards, she seemed just fine, completely normal, then today before leaving to go on patrol, she got a phone call from someone.” She sighed. “The next thing I know, she’s gone, disappeared without a word and without a trace.”

“And you’re thinking the Piper got to her earlier, brainwashed her, and made her forget until he activated her with some kind of trigger.” Sunbeam nodded. “Well, that certainly explains part of it, I suppose. But… what’s so special about this blasted cello that he would go through all this trouble? And why not simply steal it instead of kidnapping all these professors and brainwashing your partner, and then finally sending someone after it?”

Sunbeam shrugged. “That cello is able to control the minds and emotions of anyone who hears it. And it’s more than just sound. It has some kind of… mystical power.” She shook her head. “I don’t know. I’m not an expert at this kind of stuff. But obviously, the Piper wants control over that power, and he went after experts to help him learn how to wield it before going after the actual artifact itself.” She sighed again. “Anyway, it’s all a moot point at this time. We have to find Splash and free her from the Piper’s control. We have to rescue the other professors. And we have to stop the Piper and get back that cello. So… are you with me?”

Sighing deeply, I nodded. “I’m with you. And soaking wet or not, I’m ready. Let’s do this!”